RQFTCI03 Game 5 Rounds 9-10: 3-digit numbers, challenge round

Mark Brader

Dec 28, 2020, 3:08:36 AM12/28/20
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2003-02-17,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

I wrote Round 9 and two pairs in the challenge round.

** Game 5, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - 3-Digit Numbers

All answers are 3-digit numbers.

1. Provincial highways in Ontario are classified into King's,
secondary, and tertiary highways. What """is""" the highest
King's highway number?

2. On the TTC (okay, that's Toronto Transit Commission), what is
the highest route number operating today, within 3?

3. A movie in 2000 told a fictional World War II story of Americans
stealing a German U-boat. What was its U-number, within 10?

4. According to Boeing, this model of airliner is the most
successful in history. On average there """are""" 1,000 of
them in the air at any time.

5. The hostage crisis at the American embassy in Tehran began in
1979 and lasted to the end of Jimmy Carter's presidency.
How many days was it, within 10?

6. In computers, how many distinct values can a standard 8-bit
byte represent?

7. How many pounds are there in a long hundredweight (that is,
the British hundredweight)?

8. According to the novel by Ray Bradbury, what is the ignition
temperature of book paper in degrees Fahrenheit?

9. Name the """newest""" telephone area code to be partly or
wholly within our local calling region. It was overlaid on
area code 905 in 2001.

10. In most of the US and Canada we have 911, but what is the common
emergency phone number now adopted by most European countries?
Hint: this answer has already come up once in this round.

** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round

* A. Famous Names from Comics

A1. This hero is aided by Princess Narda and the gigantic Lothar.
His comic strip, created in 1934 by Lee Falk, """still
appears""" in daily newspapers.

A2. Her parents were a mortal woman and Koliak, King of the
Northern Lights. Who was this Canadian Golden Age comic
book heroine, whose name was given to a TV and multimedia
production company?

* B. Buffy and Angel Sidekicks

These questions pertain to characters on the TV series "Buffy
the Vampire Slayer" and its spin-off "Angel".

B1. Give any one of the names applied to the green-skinned demon
hipster lounge lizard who """is""" a recurring character on
"Angel", and """is""" played by Andy Hallett.

B2. She started life as a human some 1,100 years ago, and """is
now""" a human again, but in between, what kind of creature
was Anya (also known as Anyanka), a character from "Buffy"
portrayed by Emma Caulfield? Be sufficiently specific.

* C. Reproductive Terminology

C1. What is a nullipara?

C2. The linea nigra is a darkening that may appear during
pregnancy in the form of a line between what two body
locations? Give both.

* D. Vaguely Related Meanings of V-1 ["vee one" in both cases]

D1. What is your job if, during a certain activity in your
typical working day, you are careful to inform the co-worker
sitting next to you when your speed has reached V-1?

D2. (This question is rot13'd so that its vague relatedness to
question D1 will not provide a hint on D1. Please decipher
only when you are finished with D1.) Yngr va Jbeyq Jne VV,
gur Treznaf ortna nggnpxvat gurve rarzvrf hfvat n jrncba gurl
pnyyrq gur I-1. Jung fcrpvsvp pngrtbel bs zbqrea jrncba,
nyorvg jvgu n orggre ratvar naq n zhpu zber fbcuvfgvpngrq
pbageby flfgrz, vf zbfg fvzvyne gb gur I-1?

* E. Everybody who Talks about the Weather

For this pair please give only the original correct answers.

E1. These questions ask about Toronto weathercasters. Name any
one of the three people who """are""" regular hosts of The
Weather Network's "Good Morning Toronto".

E2. CBC Radio decided that it needed its own trained
meteorologist to interpret the weather for its Toronto
morning show audience instead of relying on good old
Environment Canada. So they went out and got one: name her.
She used to work at the aforementioned Weather Network,
by the way.

* F. The Northernmost Extent

F1. In the days before the megacity, which member municipality
of Metropolitan Toronto extended the farthest north?

F2. This question is about Canadian provinces; ignore the
territories. If there are multiple answers, all extending
equally far, then we're going to need all of them. And the
question, of course, is: which province, or provinces,
"""extends""" the farthest north?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "These days, it seems even PCs have to be PC."
m...@vex.net | -- Michael Quinion

Joshua Kreitzer

Dec 28, 2020, 4:14:00 AM12/28/20
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:WdydnaLaGNbjD3TCnZ2dnUU7-
R_N...@giganews.com:

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - 3-Digit Numbers
>
> All answers are 3-digit numbers.
>
> 3. A movie in 2000 told a fictional World War II story of Americans
> stealing a German U-boat. What was its U-number, within 10?

419

> 4. According to Boeing, this model of airliner is the most
> successful in history. On average there """are""" 1,000 of
> them in the air at any time.

737

> 5. The hostage crisis at the American embassy in Tehran began in
> 1979 and lasted to the end of Jimmy Carter's presidency.
> How many days was it, within 10?

444

> 6. In computers, how many distinct values can a standard 8-bit
> byte represent?

256

> 8. According to the novel by Ray Bradbury, what is the ignition
> temperature of book paper in degrees Fahrenheit?

451

> 10. In most of the US and Canada we have 911, but what is the common
> emergency phone number now adopted by most European countries?
> Hint: this answer has already come up once in this round.

119; 999

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Famous Names from Comics
>
> A1. This hero is aided by Princess Narda and the gigantic Lothar.
> His comic strip, created in 1934 by Lee Falk, """still
> appears""" in daily newspapers.

Mandrake

> A2. Her parents were a mortal woman and Koliak, King of the
> Northern Lights. Who was this Canadian Golden Age comic
> book heroine, whose name was given to a TV and multimedia
> production company?

Nelvana

> * C. Reproductive Terminology
>
> C1. What is a nullipara?

a woman who has never given birth

> * F. The Northernmost Extent
>
> F2. This question is about Canadian provinces; ignore the
> territories. If there are multiple answers, all extending
> equally far, then we're going to need all of them. And the
> question, of course, is: which province, or provinces,
> """extends""" the farthest north?

Quebec; Ontario

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Blum

Dec 28, 2020, 10:45:36 AM12/28/20
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - 3-Digit Numbers

> 3. A movie in 2000 told a fictional World War II story of Americans
> stealing a German U-boat. What was its U-number, within 10?

715

> 4. According to Boeing, this model of airliner is the most
> successful in history. On average there """are""" 1,000 of
> them in the air at any time.

737

> 5. The hostage crisis at the American embassy in Tehran began in
> 1979 and lasted to the end of Jimmy Carter's presidency.
> How many days was it, within 10?

330

> 6. In computers, how many distinct values can a standard 8-bit
> byte represent?

256

> 8. According to the novel by Ray Bradbury, what is the ignition
> temperature of book paper in degrees Fahrenheit?

451

> 10. In most of the US and Canada we have 911, but what is the common
> emergency phone number now adopted by most European countries?
> Hint: this answer has already come up once in this round.

999

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. Famous Names from Comics

> A1. This hero is aided by Princess Narda and the gigantic Lothar.
> His comic strip, created in 1934 by Lee Falk, """still
> appears""" in daily newspapers.

Mandrake the Magician

> * D. Vaguely Related Meanings of V-1 ["vee one" in both cases]

> D1. What is your job if, during a certain activity in your
> typical working day, you are careful to inform the co-worker
> sitting next to you when your speed has reached V-1?

airplane pilot

> D2. (This question is rot13'd so that its vague relatedness to
> question D1 will not provide a hint on D1. Please decipher
> only when you are finished with D1.) Yngr va Jbeyq Jne VV,
> gur Treznaf ortna nggnpxvat gurve rarzvrf hfvat n jrncba gurl
> pnyyrq gur I-1. Jung fcrpvsvp pngrtbel bs zbqrea jrncba,
> nyorvg jvgu n orggre ratvar naq n zhpu zber fbcuvfgvpngrq
> pbageby flfgrz, vf zbfg fvzvyne gb gur I-1?

guided missile

> * F. The Northernmost Extent

> F2. This question is about Canadian provinces; ignore the
> territories. If there are multiple answers, all extending
> equally far, then we're going to need all of them. And the
> question, of course, is: which province, or provinces,
> """extends""" the farthest north?

Quebec

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

Dec 28, 2020, 2:08:40 PM12/28/20
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - 3-Digit Numbers
>
> All answers are 3-digit numbers.
>
> 1. Provincial highways in Ontario are classified into King's,
> secondary, and tertiary highways. What """is""" the highest
> King's highway number?

536

> 2. On the TTC (okay, that's Toronto Transit Commission), what is
> the highest route number operating today, within 3?

952

> 3. A movie in 2000 told a fictional World War II story of Americans
> stealing a German U-boat. What was its U-number, within 10?

137 - no that was a different submarine, and it was Soviet.

> 4. According to Boeing, this model of airliner is the most
> successful in history. On average there """are""" 1,000 of
> them in the air at any time.

767

> 5. The hostage crisis at the American embassy in Tehran began in
> 1979 and lasted to the end of Jimmy Carter's presidency.
> How many days was it, within 10?

400

> 6. In computers, how many distinct values can a standard 8-bit
> byte represent?

256

> 7. How many pounds are there in a long hundredweight (that is,
> the British hundredweight)?

100

> 8. According to the novel by Ray Bradbury, what is the ignition
> temperature of book paper in degrees Fahrenheit?

451

> 9. Name the """newest""" telephone area code to be partly or
> wholly within our local calling region. It was overlaid on
> area code 905 in 2001.

904

> 10. In most of the US and Canada we have 911, but what is the common
> emergency phone number now adopted by most European countries?
> Hint: this answer has already come up once in this round.

112

OK, I guess that I at this point should back and see which question
that might be. The submarine?

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> D1. What is your job if, during a certain activity in your
> typical working day, you are careful to inform the co-worker
> sitting next to you when your speed has reached V-1?

Air pilot

> D2. (This question is rot13'd so that its vague relatedness to
> question D1 will not provide a hint on D1. Please decipher
> only when you are finished with D1.) Yngr va Jbeyq Jne VV,
> gur Treznaf ortna nggnpxvat gurve rarzvrf hfvat n jrncba gurl
> pnyyrq gur I-1. Jung fcrpvsvp pngrtbel bs zbqrea jrncba,
> nyorvg jvgu n orggre ratvar naq n zhpu zber fbcuvfgvpngrq
> pbageby flfgrz, vf zbfg fvzvyne gb gur I-1?

Robot weapon

> F2. This question is about Canadian provinces; ignore the
> territories. If there are multiple answers, all extending
> equally far, then we're going to need all of them. And the
> question, of course, is: which province, or provinces,
> """extends""" the farthest north?

Newfoundland and Labrador

Pete Gayde

Dec 28, 2020, 11:49:43 PM12/28/20
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:WdydnaLaGNbjD3TCnZ2dnUU7-
R_N...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2003-02-17,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
> may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> I wrote Round 9 and two pairs in the challenge round.
>

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - 3-Digit Numbers
>
> All answers are 3-digit numbers.
>
> 1. Provincial highways in Ontario are classified into King's,
> secondary, and tertiary highways. What """is""" the highest
> King's highway number?

111

> 2. On the TTC (okay, that's Toronto Transit Commission), what is
> the highest route number operating today, within 3?

111

> 3. A movie in 2000 told a fictional World War II story of Americans
> stealing a German U-boat. What was its U-number, within 10?

111

> 4. According to Boeing, this model of airliner is the most
> successful in history. On average there """are""" 1,000 of
> them in the air at any time.

747

> 5. The hostage crisis at the American embassy in Tehran began in
> 1979 and lasted to the end of Jimmy Carter's presidency.
> How many days was it, within 10?

454

> 6. In computers, how many distinct values can a standard 8-bit
> byte represent?

256

> 7. How many pounds are there in a long hundredweight (that is,
> the British hundredweight)?
>
> 8. According to the novel by Ray Bradbury, what is the ignition
> temperature of book paper in degrees Fahrenheit?

451

> 9. Name the """newest""" telephone area code to be partly or
> wholly within our local calling region. It was overlaid on
> area code 905 in 2001.
>
> 10. In most of the US and Canada we have 911, but what is the common
> emergency phone number now adopted by most European countries?
> Hint: this answer has already come up once in this round.

111

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Famous Names from Comics
>
> A1. This hero is aided by Princess Narda and the gigantic Lothar.
> His comic strip, created in 1934 by Lee Falk, """still
> appears""" in daily newspapers.

Prince Valiant

> A2. Her parents were a mortal woman and Koliak, King of the
> Northern Lights. Who was this Canadian Golden Age comic
> book heroine, whose name was given to a TV and multimedia
> production company?
>

> * B. Buffy and Angel Sidekicks
>
> These questions pertain to characters on the TV series "Buffy
> the Vampire Slayer" and its spin-off "Angel".
>
> B1. Give any one of the names applied to the green-skinned demon
> hipster lounge lizard who """is""" a recurring character on
> "Angel", and """is""" played by Andy Hallett.
>
> B2. She started life as a human some 1,100 years ago, and """is
> now""" a human again, but in between, what kind of creature
> was Anya (also known as Anyanka), a character from "Buffy"
> portrayed by Emma Caulfield? Be sufficiently specific.
>

> * C. Reproductive Terminology
>
> C1. What is a nullipara?
>
> C2. The linea nigra is a darkening that may appear during
> pregnancy in the form of a line between what two body
> locations? Give both.

Navel and waist

> * D. Vaguely Related Meanings of V-1 ["vee one" in both cases]
>
> D1. What is your job if, during a certain activity in your
> typical working day, you are careful to inform the co-worker
> sitting next to you when your speed has reached V-1?

Airline pilot

> D2. (This question is rot13'd so that its vague relatedness to
> question D1 will not provide a hint on D1. Please decipher
> only when you are finished with D1.) Yngr va Jbeyq Jne VV,
> gur Treznaf ortna nggnpxvat gurve rarzvrf hfvat n jrncba gurl
> pnyyrq gur I-1. Jung fcrpvsvp pngrtbel bs zbqrea jrncba,
> nyorvg jvgu n orggre ratvar naq n zhpu zber fbcuvfgvpngrq
> pbageby flfgrz, vf zbfg fvzvyne gb gur I-1?

Drone

> * E. Everybody who Talks about the Weather
>
> For this pair please give only the original correct answers.
>
> E1. These questions ask about Toronto weathercasters. Name any
> one of the three people who """are""" regular hosts of The
> Weather Network's "Good Morning Toronto".
>
> E2. CBC Radio decided that it needed its own trained
> meteorologist to interpret the weather for its Toronto
> morning show audience instead of relying on good old
> Environment Canada. So they went out and got one: name her.
> She used to work at the aforementioned Weather Network,
> by the way.
>

> * F. The Northernmost Extent
>
> F1. In the days before the megacity, which member municipality
> of Metropolitan Toronto extended the farthest north?
>
> F2. This question is about Canadian provinces; ignore the
> territories. If there are multiple answers, all extending
> equally far, then we're going to need all of them. And the
> question, of course, is: which province, or provinces,
> """extends""" the farthest north?

Quebec; Ontario

Pete Gayde

Dan Tilque

Dec 29, 2020, 12:10:15 PM12/29/20
On 12/28/20 12:08 AM, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - 3-Digit Numbers
>
> All answers are 3-digit numbers.
>
> 1. Provincial highways in Ontario are classified into King's,
> secondary, and tertiary highways. What """is""" the highest
> King's highway number?

424

> 2. On the TTC (okay, that's Toronto Transit Commission), what is
> the highest route number operating today, within 3?

999

(guess based on the hint in question 10)

> 3. A movie in 2000 told a fictional World War II story of Americans
> stealing a German U-boat. What was its U-number, within 10?
>
> 4. According to Boeing, this model of airliner is the most
> successful in history. On average there """are""" 1,000 of
> them in the air at any time.

747

> 5. The hostage crisis at the American embassy in Tehran began in
> 1979 and lasted to the end of Jimmy Carter's presidency.
> How many days was it, within 10?

444

> 6. In computers, how many distinct values can a standard 8-bit
> byte represent?

256

> 7. How many pounds are there in a long hundredweight (that is,
> the British hundredweight)?

112

> 8. According to the novel by Ray Bradbury, what is the ignition
> temperature of book paper in degrees Fahrenheit?

451

> 9. Name the """newest""" telephone area code to be partly or
> wholly within our local calling region. It was overlaid on
> area code 905 in 2001.
>
> 10. In most of the US and Canada we have 911, but what is the common
> emergency phone number now adopted by most European countries?
> Hint: this answer has already come up once in this round.

999

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Famous Names from Comics
>
> A1. This hero is aided by Princess Narda and the gigantic Lothar.
> His comic strip, created in 1934 by Lee Falk, """still
> appears""" in daily newspapers.

Prince Valiant

> A2. Her parents were a mortal woman and Koliak, King of the
> Northern Lights. Who was this Canadian Golden Age comic
> book heroine, whose name was given to a TV and multimedia
> production company?
>

> * B. Buffy and Angel Sidekicks
>
> These questions pertain to characters on the TV series "Buffy
> the Vampire Slayer" and its spin-off "Angel".
>
> B1. Give any one of the names applied to the green-skinned demon
> hipster lounge lizard who """is""" a recurring character on
> "Angel", and """is""" played by Andy Hallett.
>
> B2. She started life as a human some 1,100 years ago, and """is
> now""" a human again, but in between, what kind of creature
> was Anya (also known as Anyanka), a character from "Buffy"
> portrayed by Emma Caulfield? Be sufficiently specific.
>

> * C. Reproductive Terminology
>
> C1. What is a nullipara?
>
> C2. The linea nigra is a darkening that may appear during
> pregnancy in the form of a line between what two body
> locations? Give both.
>

> * D. Vaguely Related Meanings of V-1 ["vee one" in both cases]
>
> D1. What is your job if, during a certain activity in your
> typical working day, you are careful to inform the co-worker
> sitting next to you when your speed has reached V-1?

copilot

> D2. (This question is rot13'd so that its vague relatedness to
> question D1 will not provide a hint on D1. Please decipher
> only when you are finished with D1.) Yngr va Jbeyq Jne VV,
> gur Treznaf ortna nggnpxvat gurve rarzvrf hfvat n jrncba gurl
> pnyyrq gur I-1. Jung fcrpvsvp pngrtbel bs zbqrea jrncba,
> nyorvg jvgu n orggre ratvar naq n zhpu zber fbcuvfgvpngrq
> pbageby flfgrz, vf zbfg fvzvyne gb gur I-1?

cruise missile

> * E. Everybody who Talks about the Weather
>
> For this pair please give only the original correct answers.
>
> E1. These questions ask about Toronto weathercasters. Name any
> one of the three people who """are""" regular hosts of The
> Weather Network's "Good Morning Toronto".
>
> E2. CBC Radio decided that it needed its own trained
> meteorologist to interpret the weather for its Toronto
> morning show audience instead of relying on good old
> Environment Canada. So they went out and got one: name her.
> She used to work at the aforementioned Weather Network,
> by the way.
>

> * F. The Northernmost Extent
>
> F1. In the days before the megacity, which member municipality
> of Metropolitan Toronto extended the farthest north?

East York

> F2. This question is about Canadian provinces; ignore the
> territories. If there are multiple answers, all extending
> equally far, then we're going to need all of them. And the
> question, of course, is: which province, or provinces,
> """extends""" the farthest north?

Newfoundland and Labrador

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Dec 31, 2020, 2:32:16 AM12/31/20
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2003-02-17,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

Game 5 is over and JOSHUA KREITZER has won by 6 points!
Hearty congratulations, eh?

> I wrote Round 9 and two pairs in the challenge round.

Those were pairs D and F.

> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - 3-Digit Numbers

> All answers are 3-digit numbers.

> 1. Provincial highways in Ontario are classified into King's,
> secondary, and tertiary highways. What """is""" the highest
> King's highway number?

427. No points, but Dan Tilque came closest.

This was an easy one for Torontonians, since it's a major highway
(Ontario uses 400-series numbers for expressways, and numbers above
those are only for secondary and tertiary highways) and much of it is
located in Toronto. Note incidentally that, thanks to the longevity
of both Queens Victoria and Elizabeth II, we have actually had a
*king* for only 51 years of the 153 years that Ontario has existed.

> 2. On the TTC (okay, that's Toronto Transit Commission), what is
> the highest route number operating today, within 3?

2003 answer: 512 (accepting 509-515). 2020 answer: 996 (accepting
993-999). 4 for Dan Tilque (for the wrong reason).

The TTC uses 500-series numbers for its few streetcar routes, and
#512 is the St. Clair streetcar. But since 2018 they have been
using 900-series numbers for express bus routes, and #996 is the
express service resembling the regular #96 Wilson bus.

> 3. A movie in 2000 told a fictional World War II story of Americans
> stealing a German U-boat. What was its U-number, within 10?

571 (accepting 561-581).

You didn't need to have seen the movie to know this, just the ads;
"U-571" was the title.

> 4. According to Boeing, this model of airliner is the most
> successful in history. On average there """are""" 1,000 of
> them in the air at any time.

737. Still true, except that the number 1,000 is now too low (or
it was before COVID-19, at least). 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 5. The hostage crisis at the American embassy in Tehran began in
> 1979 and lasted to the end of Jimmy Carter's presidency.
> How many days was it, within 10?

444 (accepting 434-454). 4 for Joshua, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 6. In computers, how many distinct values can a standard 8-bit
> byte represent?

256. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Blum, Erland, Pete,
and Dan Tilque.

> 7. How many pounds are there in a long hundredweight (that is,
> the British hundredweight)?

112. (Which equals 8 stone -- how convenient!) 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 8. According to the novel by Ray Bradbury, what is the ignition
> temperature of book paper in degrees Fahrenheit?

451. 4 for everyone.

Again, you only had to know the title, which incidentally seems
to have been retained unchanged in most translated editions of the
book despite the Fahrenheit scale being unfamiliar today to almost
everyone outside of the English-speaking world.

> 9. Name the """newest""" telephone area code to be partly or
> wholly within our local calling region. It was overlaid on
> area code 905 in 2001.

2003 answer: 289. 2020 answer: 437 (overlaid on 416 in 2013).

> 10. In most of the US and Canada we have 911, but what is the common
> emergency phone number now adopted by most European countries?
> Hint: this answer has already come up once in this round.

112. 4 for Erland.

> ** Game 5, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. Famous Names from Comics

> A1. This hero is aided by Princess Narda and the gigantic Lothar.
> His comic strip, created in 1934 by Lee Falk, """still
> appears""" in daily newspapers.

Mandrake (the Magician). It ended in 2013. (Not the Phantom, from
a different strip by the same author.) 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> A2. Her parents were a mortal woman and Koliak, King of the
> Northern Lights. Who was this Canadian Golden Age comic
> book heroine, whose name was given to a TV and multimedia
> production company?

Nelvana (of the Northern Lights). 4 for Joshua.

> * B. Buffy and Angel Sidekicks

> These questions pertain to characters on the TV series "Buffy
> the Vampire Slayer" and its spin-off "Angel".

> B1. Give any one of the names applied to the green-skinned demon
> hipster lounge lizard who """is""" a recurring character on
> "Angel", and """is""" played by Andy Hallett.

Lorne; the Host; Krevlornswath (of the Deathwok Clan). The series
ended in 2004 and Hallett died in 2009 at age 33.

> B2. She started life as a human some 1,100 years ago, and """is
> now""" a human again, but in between, what kind of creature
> was Anya (also known as Anyanka), a character from "Buffy"
> portrayed by Emma Caulfield? Be sufficiently specific.

A demon who wreaks vengeance upon men on behalf of women.
Any reference to "demon" along with "vengeance" or "revenge"
was sufficient.

> * C. Reproductive Terminology

> C1. What is a nullipara?

A woman who has never given birth. 4 for Joshua.

> C2. The linea nigra is a darkening that may appear during
> pregnancy in the form of a line between what two body
> locations? Give both.

Navel, pubic area.

> * D. Vaguely Related Meanings of V-1 ["vee one" in both cases]

> D1. What is your job if, during a certain activity in your
> typical working day, you are careful to inform the co-worker
> sitting next to you when your speed has reached V-1?

Airplane pilot (or copilot; job titles like "captain" and
"first officer" were also okay). 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Pete,
and Dan Tilque.

The activity is a takeoff and V-1 is the speed when, if the takeoff
is canceled, there is no longer room on the runway to brake to
a stop.

> D2. (This question is rot13'd so that its vague relatedness to
> question D1 will not provide a hint on D1. Please decipher
> only when you are finished with D1.) Late in World War II,
> the Germans began attacking their enemies using a weapon they
> called the V-1. What specific category of modern weapon,
> albeit with a better engine and a much more sophisticated
> control system, is most similar to the V-1?

Cruise missile (not a drone, which is under continuous human control).
4 for Dan Tilque.

The V-2, which went into use 3 months later, was a ballistic missile.

> * E. Everybody who Talks about the Weather

> For this pair please give only the original correct answers.

> E1. These questions ask about Toronto weathercasters. Name any
> one of the three people who """are""" regular hosts of The
> Weather Network's "Good Morning Toronto".

Linda Freeman, Tom Reynolds, Robin Ward.

> E2. CBC Radio decided that it needed its own trained
> meteorologist to interpret the weather for its Toronto
> morning show audience instead of relying on good old
> Environment Canada. So they went out and got one: name her.
> She used to work at the aforementioned Weather Network,
> by the way.

Natasha Ramsahai.

> * F. The Northernmost Extent

> F1. In the days before the megacity, which member municipality
> of Metropolitan Toronto extended the farthest north?

Scarborough.

Both before and after the amalgamations within Metro in 1967,
Etobicoke, North York, and Scarborough were all bounded on the
north by Steeles Av.; but when you go "east" along Steeles,
that's grid east and you're angling about 17° to the north.

> F2. This question is about Canadian provinces; ignore the
> territories. If there are multiple answers, all extending
> equally far, then we're going to need all of them. And the
> question, of course, is: which province, or provinces,
> """extends""" the farthest north?

Québec. (Still true. About 62½°N latitude on the Ungava Peninsula.)
4 for Dan Blum. 3 for Joshua and Pete.

Newfoundland & Labrador extends only to about 60½°N, while the
common boundary line where the four western provinces meet the three
territories is only at 60°N.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Ent His Spo Can Geo Lit Mis Cha SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 32 31 12 8 40 12 16 15 146
Dan Blum 16 28 16 5 36 32 12 12 140
Dan Tilque 12 32 -- -- 40 28 20 8 140
Pete Gayde 8 24 20 0 36 0 12 7 107
Erland Sommarskog 0 12 -- -- 8 8 12 4 44

--
Mark Brader | "The net exists to be used. It is a powerful tool
m...@vex.net | and as long as people treat it as a tool and not a toy

Erland Sommarskog

Dec 31, 2020, 4:38:01 AM12/31/20
Erland Sommarskog (esq...@sommarskog.se) writes:
> Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
>> ** Game 5, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - 3-Digit Numbers
>> 3. A movie in 2000 told a fictional World War II story of Americans
>> stealing a German U-boat. What was its U-number, within 10?
>
> 137 - no that was a different submarine, and it was Soviet.

Just in case anyone wonder what I was talking about: U-137 was a Soviet
submarine ran aground in the archipelago outside Karlskrona in the south
of Sweden in 1981. The area has quite a few Swedish military installations,
and foreigners are not really allowed there. Nevertheless, the Soviets
claimed the submarine was mislocated to erroneous navigation.

Mark Brader

Dec 31, 2020, 4:21:52 PM12/31/20
Erland Sommarskog:
> Just in case anyone wonder what I was talking about: U-137 was a Soviet
> submarine ran aground in the archipelago outside Karlskrona...

If Wikipedia is correct, that was actually the S 393; U-137 was a
Swedish designation for it.
--
Mark Brader | "In the land of truth, my friend,
Toronto | the man with one fact is king."