QFTCIC Game 7, Rounds 9-10: world cinema, football challenge

Mark Brader

Jan 26, 2014, 4:44:59ā€ÆPM1/26/14
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-11-04,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Clueless, and are used
here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been
retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see my
2013-09-15 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 7, Round 9 - Entertainment - World Cinema

1. What director's films include "Battleship Potemkin", "October",
and "Alexander Nevsky"?

2. Whose films include "Solaris" (1972) and "Andrei Rublev" (1966),
and was called the greatest director by Ingmar Bergman?

3. What Japanese anime director's films include "My Neighbor
Totoro", "Princess Mononoke", and "Spirited Away"?

4. What Japanese actor (1920-97) starred in "Rashomon", "Seven
Samurai", "Throne of Blood", "Yojimbo", and over 160 other
movies?

5. Name the "playback" singer who has lent her voice over a
6-decade career in Bollywood to hundreds of films that onscreen
actresses would lip-sync to. She was named in 2011 as the
most recorded artist in music history and was married to score
composer R.D. Burman.

6. What Mexican director's films include "Amores perros",
"21 Grams", and "Biutiful"?

7. What actress starred in "Red Sorghum", "Raise the Red Lantern",
"The Story of Qiu Ju", and "Farewell My Concubine"?

8. Who directed the "Apu" trilogy of films?

9. Name the actor who -- before becoming known to Western audiences
for roles in "Anna and the King", "Pirates of the Caribbean: At
World's End", and "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" -- was a star
of numerous Hong Kong action films, several directed by John Woo.

10. What martial arts action star's films include "Lethal Weapon 4",
"Romeo Must Die", "The Forbidden Kingdom", and "Hero" (2002)?

* Game 7, Round 10 - Sports Challenge Round

This round is all American football, all the time.

A. Breaking the Law

In each case, name the player.

A1. This two-time Super Bowl champion, two-time defensive player
of the year, and the MVP of Super Bowl XXXV, was indicted on
murder and aggravated-assault charges in 2000. The murder
charges were dismissed in exchange for a guilty plea to a
misdemeanor charge of obstruction of justice.

A2. In August 2013, this Patriots star was indicted for the
murder of Odin Lloyd, and he is currently being investigated
in connection with other murders in both Florida and
Massachusetts.

B. Places

In each case, name the team associated with the stadium mentioned.

B1. The Dawg Pound is the name of the bleacher section behind
the east end zone in FirstEnergy Stadium, the home field
of this NFL team. It is known for its extremely zealous
fan base.

B2. AT&T Stadium, completed in 2009, has a maximum capacity
of 105,000. It has the world's largest column-free interior
and the fourth-largest high-definition video screen, which
hangs from 20-yard line to 20-yard line.

C. Stuff that Happened a Long Time Ago

These questions are about the 1967 AFL-NFL World Championship Game,
nicknamed -- and then retroactively named officially -- the first
"Super Bowl", in which the Green Bay Packers defeated the Kansas
City Chiefs 35-10.

C1. Who was named MVP of the game?

C2. Where was it played? Name *either* the city or the stadium.

D. Science

D1. A football is what type of three-dimensional shape?

D2. What is the only combination of scoring plays by which an
NFL team can score a total of 5 points in a game?
This happened in the 1970 playoff game when the Dallas
Cowboys defeated the Detroit Lions 5-0.

E. Movies

In each case, name the movie.

E1. This 1998 college football comedy stars Adam Sandler as
Bobby Boucher, an intellectually challenged character with
an amazing talent for tackling. It also stars Henry Winkler
as the coach, and Kathy Bates as Boucher's mother. Name it.

E2. This 1999 Oliver Stone film stars Al Pacino as coach of the
Miami Sharks. It's star-studded cast also includes Cameron
Diaz, James Woods, Jamie Foxx, and LL Cool J. Name it.

F. Actors

In each case, name the athlete/actor.

F1. After playing for 13 years with the Oakland Raiders, he
jumped into the world of acting with roles in "Broken Arrow"
and "Firestorm". This Hall of Fame defensive end can now be
found as one of the co-hosts on FOX Network's NFL coverage.

F2. The first pick in the 1967 NFL draft, he played 9 seasons
in the NFL as a defensive end; his best-known movie character
is Moses Hightower in the "Police Academy" movies.

--
Mark Brader | No programming language is Perfect. Perl comes very close.
m...@vex.net | P! e! r! *l?* :-( Not quite "Perfect".

Dan Blum

Jan 26, 2014, 5:14:41ā€ÆPM1/26/14
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 9 - Entertainment - World Cinema

> 1. What director's films include "Battleship Potemkin", "October",
> and "Alexander Nevsky"?

Eisenstein

> 2. Whose films include "Solaris" (1972) and "Andrei Rublev" (1966),
> and was called the greatest director by Ingmar Bergman?

Tarkovsky

> 3. What Japanese anime director's films include "My Neighbor
> Totoro", "Princess Mononoke", and "Spirited Away"?

Miyazaki

> 4. What Japanese actor (1920-97) starred in "Rashomon", "Seven
> Samurai", "Throne of Blood", "Yojimbo", and over 160 other
> movies?

Toshiro Mifune

> 6. What Mexican director's films include "Amores perros",
> "21 Grams", and "Biutiful"?

Almodovar; Rodriguez

> 9. Name the actor who -- before becoming known to Western audiences
> for roles in "Anna and the King", "Pirates of the Caribbean: At
> World's End", and "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" -- was a star
> of numerous Hong Kong action films, several directed by John Woo.

Wong-Kar Wai

> 10. What martial arts action star's films include "Lethal Weapon 4",
> "Romeo Must Die", "The Forbidden Kingdom", and "Hero" (2002)?

Jackie Chan

> * Game 7, Round 10 - Sports Challenge Round

> This round is all American football, all the time.

> A. Breaking the Law

> A2. In August 2013, this Patriots star was indicted for the
> murder of Odin Lloyd, and he is currently being investigated
> in connection with other murders in both Florida and
> Massachusetts.

Rodriguez

> C. Stuff that Happened a Long Time Ago

> C2. Where was it played? Name *either* the city or the stadium.

Rose Bowl

> D. Science

> D1. A football is what type of three-dimensional shape?

oblate spheroid

> E. Movies

> E2. This 1999 Oliver Stone film stars Al Pacino as coach of the
> Miami Sharks. It's star-studded cast also includes Cameron
> Diaz, James Woods, Jamie Foxx, and LL Cool J. Name it.

Any Given Sunday

> F. Actors

> F2. The first pick in the 1967 NFL draft, he played 9 seasons
> in the NFL as a defensive end; his best-known movie character
> is Moses Hightower in the "Police Academy" movies.

O. J. Simpson

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

Jan 26, 2014, 7:35:55ā€ÆPM1/26/14
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in

> * Game 7, Round 9 - Entertainment - World Cinema
>
> 1. What director's films include "Battleship Potemkin", "October",
> and "Alexander Nevsky"?

Eisenstein

> 2. Whose films include "Solaris" (1972) and "Andrei Rublev" (1966),
> and was called the greatest director by Ingmar Bergman?

Tarkovsky

> 3. What Japanese anime director's films include "My Neighbor
> Totoro", "Princess Mononoke", and "Spirited Away"?

Hayao Miyazaki

> 4. What Japanese actor (1920-97) starred in "Rashomon", "Seven
> Samurai", "Throne of Blood", "Yojimbo", and over 160 other
> movies?

Toshiro Mifune

> 6. What Mexican director's films include "Amores perros",
> "21 Grams", and "Biutiful"?

Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu

> 7. What actress starred in "Red Sorghum", "Raise the Red Lantern",
> "The Story of Qiu Ju", and "Farewell My Concubine"?

Gong Li

> 8. Who directed the "Apu" trilogy of films?

Satyajit Ray

> 9. Name the actor who -- before becoming known to Western audiences
> for roles in "Anna and the King", "Pirates of the Caribbean: At
> World's End", and "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" -- was a star
> of numerous Hong Kong action films, several directed by John Woo.

Chow Yun-Fat

> 10. What martial arts action star's films include "Lethal Weapon 4",
> "Romeo Must Die", "The Forbidden Kingdom", and "Hero" (2002)?

Jet Li

> * Game 7, Round 10 - Sports Challenge Round
>
> This round is all American football, all the time.
>
> B. Places
>
> In each case, name the team associated with the stadium mentioned.
>
> B1. The Dawg Pound is the name of the bleacher section behind
> the east end zone in FirstEnergy Stadium, the home field
> of this NFL team. It is known for its extremely zealous
> fan base.

Cleveland Browns

> B2. AT&T Stadium, completed in 2009, has a maximum capacity
> of 105,000. It has the world's largest column-free interior
> and the fourth-largest high-definition video screen, which
> hangs from 20-yard line to 20-yard line.

Dallas Cowboys

> C. Stuff that Happened a Long Time Ago
>
> These questions are about the 1967 AFL-NFL World Championship Game,
> nicknamed -- and then retroactively named officially -- the first
> "Super Bowl", in which the Green Bay Packers defeated the Kansas
> City Chiefs 35-10.
>
> C1. Who was named MVP of the game?

Bart Starr

> C2. Where was it played? Name *either* the city or the stadium.

New Orleans; Miami

> D. Science
>
> D1. A football is what type of three-dimensional shape?

ellipsoid

> D2. What is the only combination of scoring plays by which an
> NFL team can score a total of 5 points in a game?
> This happened in the 1970 playoff game when the Dallas
> Cowboys defeated the Detroit Lions 5-0.

a field goal and a safety

> E. Movies
>
> In each case, name the movie.
>
> E1. This 1998 college football comedy stars Adam Sandler as
> Bobby Boucher, an intellectually challenged character with
> an amazing talent for tackling. It also stars Henry Winkler
> as the coach, and Kathy Bates as Boucher's mother. Name it.

"The Waterboy"

> E2. This 1999 Oliver Stone film stars Al Pacino as coach of the
> Miami Sharks. It's star-studded cast also includes Cameron
> Diaz, James Woods, Jamie Foxx, and LL Cool J. Name it.

"Any Given Sunday"

> F. Actors
>
> In each case, name the athlete/actor.
>
> F1. After playing for 13 years with the Oakland Raiders, he
> jumped into the world of acting with roles in "Broken Arrow"
> and "Firestorm". This Hall of Fame defensive end can now be
> found as one of the co-hosts on FOX Network's NFL coverage.

Howie Long

> F2. The first pick in the 1967 NFL draft, he played 9 seasons
> in the NFL as a defensive end; his best-known movie character
> is Moses Hightower in the "Police Academy" movies.

Bubba Smith

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Jason Kreitzer

Jan 26, 2014, 7:40:34ā€ÆPM1/26/14
On Sunday, January 26, 2014 4:44:59 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-11-04,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,

> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>

> All questions were written by members of Clueless, and are used
>
> here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been
>
> retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see my
>
> 2013-09-15 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
>
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 7, Round 9 - Entertainment - World Cinema
>

> 1. What director's films include "Battleship Potemkin", "October",
>
> and "Alexander Nevsky"?

Sergei Eisenstadt

> 2. Whose films include "Solaris" (1972) and "Andrei Rublev" (1966),
>
> and was called the greatest director by Ingmar Bergman?
>

> 3. What Japanese anime director's films include "My Neighbor
>
> Totoro", "Princess Mononoke", and "Spirited Away"?
>

> 4. What Japanese actor (1920-97) starred in "Rashomon", "Seven
>
> Samurai", "Throne of Blood", "Yojimbo", and over 160 other
>
> movies?
>

> 5. Name the "playback" singer who has lent her voice over a
>
> 6-decade career in Bollywood to hundreds of films that onscreen
>
> actresses would lip-sync to. She was named in 2011 as the
>
> most recorded artist in music history and was married to score
>
> composer R.D. Burman.
>

> 6. What Mexican director's films include "Amores perros",
>
> "21 Grams", and "Biutiful"?
>

> 7. What actress starred in "Red Sorghum", "Raise the Red Lantern",
>
> "The Story of Qiu Ju", and "Farewell My Concubine"?
>

> 8. Who directed the "Apu" trilogy of films?
>

> 9. Name the actor who -- before becoming known to Western audiences
>
> for roles in "Anna and the King", "Pirates of the Caribbean: At
>
> World's End", and "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" -- was a star
>
> of numerous Hong Kong action films, several directed by John Woo.
>

> 10. What martial arts action star's films include "Lethal Weapon 4",
>
> "Romeo Must Die", "The Forbidden Kingdom", and "Hero" (2002)?

Jet Li

> * Game 7, Round 10 - Sports Challenge Round
>

> This round is all American football, all the time.
>

> A. Breaking the Law
>

> In each case, name the player.
>

> A1. This two-time Super Bowl champion, two-time defensive player
>
> of the year, and the MVP of Super Bowl XXXV, was indicted on
>
> murder and aggravated-assault charges in 2000. The murder
>
> charges were dismissed in exchange for a guilty plea to a
>
> misdemeanor charge of obstruction of justice.

Ray Lewis

> A2. In August 2013, this Patriots star was indicted for the
>
> murder of Odin Lloyd, and he is currently being investigated
>
> in connection with other murders in both Florida and
>
> Massachusetts.
>

> B. Places
>

> In each case, name the team associated with the stadium mentioned.
>

> B1. The Dawg Pound is the name of the bleacher section behind
>
> the east end zone in FirstEnergy Stadium, the home field
>
> of this NFL team. It is known for its extremely zealous
>
> fan base.

Cleveland Browns

> B2. AT&T Stadium, completed in 2009, has a maximum capacity
>
> of 105,000. It has the world's largest column-free interior
>
> and the fourth-largest high-definition video screen, which
>
> hangs from 20-yard line to 20-yard line.
>

> C. Stuff that Happened a Long Time Ago
>

> These questions are about the 1967 AFL-NFL World Championship Game,
>
> nicknamed -- and then retroactively named officially -- the first
>
> "Super Bowl", in which the Green Bay Packers defeated the Kansas
>
> City Chiefs 35-10.
>

> C1. Who was named MVP of the game?
>

> C2. Where was it played? Name *either* the city or the stadium.
>

> D. Science
>

> D1. A football is what type of three-dimensional shape?

Oblong

> D2. What is the only combination of scoring plays by which an
>
> NFL team can score a total of 5 points in a game?
>
> This happened in the 1970 playoff game when the Dallas
>
> Cowboys defeated the Detroit Lions 5-0.

Field goal and safety.

> E. Movies
>

> In each case, name the movie.
>

> E1. This 1998 college football comedy stars Adam Sandler as
>
> Bobby Boucher, an intellectually challenged character with
>
> an amazing talent for tackling. It also stars Henry Winkler
>
> as the coach, and Kathy Bates as Boucher's mother. Name it.

"The Waterboy"

> E2. This 1999 Oliver Stone film stars Al Pacino as coach of the
>
> Miami Sharks. It's star-studded cast also includes Cameron
>
> Diaz, James Woods, Jamie Foxx, and LL Cool J. Name it.

"Any Given Sunday."

> F. Actors
>

> In each case, name the athlete/actor.
>

> F1. After playing for 13 years with the Oakland Raiders, he
>
> jumped into the world of acting with roles in "Broken Arrow"
>
> and "Firestorm". This Hall of Fame defensive end can now be
>
> found as one of the co-hosts on FOX Network's NFL coverage.
>

> F2. The first pick in the 1967 NFL draft, he played 9 seasons
>
> in the NFL as a defensive end; his best-known movie character
>
> is Moses Hightower in the "Police Academy" movies.

Bubba Smith

Marc Dashevsky

Jan 27, 2014, 11:33:14ā€ÆAM1/27/14
In article <UK2dnT2zFMRGHHjP...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 7, Round 9 - Entertainment - World Cinema
>
> 1. What director's films include "Battleship Potemkin", "October",
> and "Alexander Nevsky"?
Eisenstein

> 2. Whose films include "Solaris" (1972) and "Andrei Rublev" (1966),
> and was called the greatest director by Ingmar Bergman?
>
> 3. What Japanese anime director's films include "My Neighbor
> Totoro", "Princess Mononoke", and "Spirited Away"?
>
> 4. What Japanese actor (1920-97) starred in "Rashomon", "Seven
> Samurai", "Throne of Blood", "Yojimbo", and over 160 other
> movies?
Toshiro Mifune

> 5. Name the "playback" singer who has lent her voice over a
> 6-decade career in Bollywood to hundreds of films that onscreen
> actresses would lip-sync to. She was named in 2011 as the
> most recorded artist in music history and was married to score
> composer R.D. Burman.
>
> 6. What Mexican director's films include "Amores perros",
> "21 Grams", and "Biutiful"?
>
> 7. What actress starred in "Red Sorghum", "Raise the Red Lantern",
> "The Story of Qiu Ju", and "Farewell My Concubine"?
>
> 8. Who directed the "Apu" trilogy of films?
Ray

> 9. Name the actor who -- before becoming known to Western audiences
> for roles in "Anna and the King", "Pirates of the Caribbean: At
> World's End", and "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" -- was a star
> of numerous Hong Kong action films, several directed by John Woo.
Chow Yun-Fat

> 10. What martial arts action star's films include "Lethal Weapon 4",
> "Romeo Must Die", "The Forbidden Kingdom", and "Hero" (2002)?
Jet Li

> * Game 7, Round 10 - Sports Challenge Round
>
> This round is all American football, all the time.
>
> A. Breaking the Law
>
> In each case, name the player.
>
> A1. This two-time Super Bowl champion, two-time defensive player
> of the year, and the MVP of Super Bowl XXXV, was indicted on
> murder and aggravated-assault charges in 2000. The murder
> charges were dismissed in exchange for a guilty plea to a
> misdemeanor charge of obstruction of justice.
Ray Lewis (unlike Patriots fans' repudiation of Hernandez,
Lewis is honored by the NFL and embraced by Ravens fans)

> A2. In August 2013, this Patriots star was indicted for the
> murder of Odin Lloyd, and he is currently being investigated
> in connection with other murders in both Florida and
> Massachusetts.
Aaron Hernandez

> B. Places
>
> In each case, name the team associated with the stadium mentioned.
>
> B1. The Dawg Pound is the name of the bleacher section behind
> the east end zone in FirstEnergy Stadium, the home field
> of this NFL team. It is known for its extremely zealous
> fan base.
Cleveland Browns

> B2. AT&T Stadium, completed in 2009, has a maximum capacity
> of 105,000. It has the world's largest column-free interior
> and the fourth-largest high-definition video screen, which
> hangs from 20-yard line to 20-yard line.
Dallas Cowboys

> C. Stuff that Happened a Long Time Ago
>
> These questions are about the 1967 AFL-NFL World Championship Game,
> nicknamed -- and then retroactively named officially -- the first
> "Super Bowl", in which the Green Bay Packers defeated the Kansas
> City Chiefs 35-10.
>
> C1. Who was named MVP of the game?
Bart Starr

> C2. Where was it played? Name *either* the city or the stadium.
Orange Bowl

> D. Science
>
> D1. A football is what type of three-dimensional shape?
good question. I should learn this

> D2. What is the only combination of scoring plays by which an
> NFL team can score a total of 5 points in a game?
> This happened in the 1970 playoff game when the Dallas
> Cowboys defeated the Detroit Lions 5-0.
field goal and safety

> E. Movies
>
> In each case, name the movie.
>
> E1. This 1998 college football comedy stars Adam Sandler as
> Bobby Boucher, an intellectually challenged character with
> an amazing talent for tackling. It also stars Henry Winkler
> as the coach, and Kathy Bates as Boucher's mother. Name it.
The Water Boy

> E2. This 1999 Oliver Stone film stars Al Pacino as coach of the
> Miami Sharks. It's star-studded cast also includes Cameron
> Diaz, James Woods, Jamie Foxx, and LL Cool J. Name it.
Any Given Sunday

> F. Actors
>
> In each case, name the athlete/actor.
>
> F1. After playing for 13 years with the Oakland Raiders, he
> jumped into the world of acting with roles in "Broken Arrow"
> and "Firestorm". This Hall of Fame defensive end can now be
> found as one of the co-hosts on FOX Network's NFL coverage.
Howie Long

robpparker SPAM @foroptusnet.com.aume Rob Parker

Jan 27, 2014, 7:52:45ā€ÆPM1/27/14

robpparker SPAM @foroptusnet.com.aume Rob Parker

Jan 27, 2014, 7:55:31ā€ÆPM1/27/14
Oops - sent accidentally.

But it doesn't matter - my responses for each of these rounds would have
been "Pass" ;-)

Rob

"Rob Parker" <NO robpparker SPAM @ FOR optusnet.com.au ME> wrote in message
>> * Game 7, Round 9 - Entertainment - World Cinema
<snip>
>> * Game 7, Round 10 - Sports Challenge Round
<snip>

Pete

Jan 27, 2014, 9:03:21ā€ÆPM1/27/14
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-11-04,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Clueless, and are used
> here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been
> retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see my
> 2013-09-15 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 7, Round 9 - Entertainment - World Cinema
>
> 1. What director's films include "Battleship Potemkin", "October",
> and "Alexander Nevsky"?

Eisenstein

> 2. Whose films include "Solaris" (1972) and "Andrei Rublev" (1966),
> and was called the greatest director by Ingmar Bergman?

Visconti

> 3. What Japanese anime director's films include "My Neighbor
> Totoro", "Princess Mononoke", and "Spirited Away"?
>
> 4. What Japanese actor (1920-97) starred in "Rashomon", "Seven
> Samurai", "Throne of Blood", "Yojimbo", and over 160 other
> movies?

Kurosawa

> 5. Name the "playback" singer who has lent her voice over a
> 6-decade career in Bollywood to hundreds of films that onscreen
> actresses would lip-sync to. She was named in 2011 as the
> most recorded artist in music history and was married to score
> composer R.D. Burman.
>
> 6. What Mexican director's films include "Amores perros",
> "21 Grams", and "Biutiful"?
>
> 7. What actress starred in "Red Sorghum", "Raise the Red Lantern",
> "The Story of Qiu Ju", and "Farewell My Concubine"?
>
> 8. Who directed the "Apu" trilogy of films?
>
> 9. Name the actor who -- before becoming known to Western audiences
> for roles in "Anna and the King", "Pirates of the Caribbean: At
> World's End", and "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" -- was a star
> of numerous Hong Kong action films, several directed by John Woo.
>
> 10. What martial arts action star's films include "Lethal Weapon 4",
> "Romeo Must Die", "The Forbidden Kingdom", and "Hero" (2002)?

Jackie Chan

> * Game 7, Round 10 - Sports Challenge Round
>
> This round is all American football, all the time.
>
> A. Breaking the Law
>
> In each case, name the player.
>
> A1. This two-time Super Bowl champion, two-time defensive player
> of the year, and the MVP of Super Bowl XXXV, was indicted on
> murder and aggravated-assault charges in 2000. The murder
> charges were dismissed in exchange for a guilty plea to a
> misdemeanor charge of obstruction of justice.

Lewis

> A2. In August 2013, this Patriots star was indicted for the
> murder of Odin Lloyd, and he is currently being investigated
> in connection with other murders in both Florida and
> Massachusetts.

Gonzalez

> B. Places
>
> In each case, name the team associated with the stadium mentioned.
>
> B1. The Dawg Pound is the name of the bleacher section behind
> the east end zone in FirstEnergy Stadium, the home field
> of this NFL team. It is known for its extremely zealous
> fan base.

Cleveland Browns

> B2. AT&T Stadium, completed in 2009, has a maximum capacity
> of 105,000. It has the world's largest column-free interior
> and the fourth-largest high-definition video screen, which
> hangs from 20-yard line to 20-yard line.

Dallas Cowboys

> C. Stuff that Happened a Long Time Ago
>
> These questions are about the 1967 AFL-NFL World Championship Game,
> nicknamed -- and then retroactively named officially -- the first
> "Super Bowl", in which the Green Bay Packers defeated the Kansas
> City Chiefs 35-10.
>
> C1. Who was named MVP of the game?

Bart Starr

> C2. Where was it played? Name *either* the city or the stadium.

Los Angeles

> D. Science
>
> D1. A football is what type of three-dimensional shape?
>
> D2. What is the only combination of scoring plays by which an
> NFL team can score a total of 5 points in a game?
> This happened in the 1970 playoff game when the Dallas
> Cowboys defeated the Detroit Lions 5-0.

Field goal and safety

> E. Movies
>
> In each case, name the movie.
>
> E1. This 1998 college football comedy stars Adam Sandler as
> Bobby Boucher, an intellectually challenged character with
> an amazing talent for tackling. It also stars Henry Winkler
> as the coach, and Kathy Bates as Boucher's mother. Name it.
>
> E2. This 1999 Oliver Stone film stars Al Pacino as coach of the
> Miami Sharks. It's star-studded cast also includes Cameron
> Diaz, James Woods, Jamie Foxx, and LL Cool J. Name it.
>
> F. Actors
>
> In each case, name the athlete/actor.
>
> F1. After playing for 13 years with the Oakland Raiders, he
> jumped into the world of acting with roles in "Broken Arrow"
> and "Firestorm". This Hall of Fame defensive end can now be
> found as one of the co-hosts on FOX Network's NFL coverage.

Siragusa

> F2. The first pick in the 1967 NFL draft, he played 9 seasons
> in the NFL as a defensive end; his best-known movie character
> is Moses Hightower in the "Police Academy" movies.

Bubba Smith

Pete

Dan Tilque

Jan 28, 2014, 5:27:42ā€ÆPM1/28/14
Cleveland Browns

> B2. AT&T Stadium, completed in 2009, has a maximum capacity
> of 105,000. It has the world's largest column-free interior
> and the fourth-largest high-definition video screen, which
> hangs from 20-yard line to 20-yard line.

Dallas Cowboys

> C. Stuff that Happened a Long Time Ago
>
> These questions are about the 1967 AFL-NFL World Championship Game,
> nicknamed -- and then retroactively named officially -- the first
> "Super Bowl", in which the Green Bay Packers defeated the Kansas
> City Chiefs 35-10.
>
> C1. Who was named MVP of the game?

Bart Starr

> C2. Where was it played? Name *either* the city or the stadium.

Los Angeles

> D. Science
>
> D1. A football is what type of three-dimensional shape?

prolate spheroid

> D2. What is the only combination of scoring plays by which an
> NFL team can score a total of 5 points in a game?
> This happened in the 1970 playoff game when the Dallas
> Cowboys defeated the Detroit Lions 5-0.

field goal and safety

> E. Movies
>
> In each case, name the movie.
>
> E1. This 1998 college football comedy stars Adam Sandler as
> Bobby Boucher, an intellectually challenged character with
> an amazing talent for tackling. It also stars Henry Winkler
> as the coach, and Kathy Bates as Boucher's mother. Name it.
>
> E2. This 1999 Oliver Stone film stars Al Pacino as coach of the
> Miami Sharks. It's star-studded cast also includes Cameron
> Diaz, James Woods, Jamie Foxx, and LL Cool J. Name it.
>
> F. Actors
>
> In each case, name the athlete/actor.
>
> F1. After playing for 13 years with the Oakland Raiders, he
> jumped into the world of acting with roles in "Broken Arrow"
> and "Firestorm". This Hall of Fame defensive end can now be
> found as one of the co-hosts on FOX Network's NFL coverage.
>
> F2. The first pick in the 1967 NFL draft, he played 9 seasons
> in the NFL as a defensive end; his best-known movie character
> is Moses Hightower in the "Police Academy" movies.

--
Dan Tilque

Helix, if everything goes according to plan, the plan has been
compromised. -- Sam Starfall in "Freefall"

calvin

Jan 29, 2014, 1:38:19ā€ÆAM1/29/14
On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 07:44:59 +1000, Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 9 - Entertainment - World Cinema
>
> 1. What director's films include "Battleship Potemkin", "October",
> and "Alexander Nevsky"?

Eisenstein

> 2. Whose films include "Solaris" (1972) and "Andrei Rublev" (1966),
> and was called the greatest director by Ingmar Bergman?

Rosselini?

> 3. What Japanese anime director's films include "My Neighbor
> Totoro", "Princess Mononoke", and "Spirited Away"?
>
> 4. What Japanese actor (1920-97) starred in "Rashomon", "Seven
> Samurai", "Throne of Blood", "Yojimbo", and over 160 other
> movies?
>
> 5. Name the "playback" singer who has lent her voice over a
> 6-decade career in Bollywood to hundreds of films that onscreen
> actresses would lip-sync to. She was named in 2011 as the
> most recorded artist in music history and was married to score
> composer R.D. Burman.
>
> 6. What Mexican director's films include "Amores perros",
> "21 Grams", and "Biutiful"?
>
> 7. What actress starred in "Red Sorghum", "Raise the Red Lantern",
> "The Story of Qiu Ju", and "Farewell My Concubine"?
>
> 8. Who directed the "Apu" trilogy of films?
>
> 9. Name the actor who -- before becoming known to Western audiences
> for roles in "Anna and the King", "Pirates of the Caribbean: At
> World's End", and "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" -- was a star
> of numerous Hong Kong action films, several directed by John Woo.

Li?

> 10. What martial arts action star's films include "Lethal Weapon 4",
> "Romeo Must Die", "The Forbidden Kingdom", and "Hero" (2002)?
>

> * Game 7, Round 10 - Sports Challenge Round
>
> This round is all American football, all the time.
>
> A. Breaking the Law
>
> In each case, name the player.
>
> A1. This two-time Super Bowl champion, two-time defensive player
> of the year, and the MVP of Super Bowl XXXV, was indicted on
> murder and aggravated-assault charges in 2000. The murder
> charges were dismissed in exchange for a guilty plea to a
> misdemeanor charge of obstruction of justice.
>
> A2. In August 2013, this Patriots star was indicted for the
> murder of Odin Lloyd, and he is currently being investigated
> in connection with other murders in both Florida and
> Massachusetts.
>
> B. Places
>
> In each case, name the team associated with the stadium mentioned.
>
> B1. The Dawg Pound is the name of the bleacher section behind
> the east end zone in FirstEnergy Stadium, the home field
> of this NFL team. It is known for its extremely zealous
> fan base.

Cleveland?

> B2. AT&T Stadium, completed in 2009, has a maximum capacity
> of 105,000. It has the world's largest column-free interior
> and the fourth-largest high-definition video screen, which
> hangs from 20-yard line to 20-yard line.
>
> C. Stuff that Happened a Long Time Ago
>
> These questions are about the 1967 AFL-NFL World Championship Game,
> nicknamed -- and then retroactively named officially -- the first
> "Super Bowl", in which the Green Bay Packers defeated the Kansas
> City Chiefs 35-10.
>
> C1. Who was named MVP of the game?
>
> C2. Where was it played? Name *either* the city or the stadium.
>
> D. Science
>
> D1. A football is what type of three-dimensional shape?
>
> D2. What is the only combination of scoring plays by which an
> NFL team can score a total of 5 points in a game?
> This happened in the 1970 playoff game when the Dallas
> Cowboys defeated the Detroit Lions 5-0.

1 field goal + 1 safety

> E. Movies
>
> In each case, name the movie.
>
> E1. This 1998 college football comedy stars Adam Sandler as
> Bobby Boucher, an intellectually challenged character with
> an amazing talent for tackling. It also stars Henry Winkler
> as the coach, and Kathy Bates as Boucher's mother. Name it.
>
> E2. This 1999 Oliver Stone film stars Al Pacino as coach of the
> Miami Sharks. It's star-studded cast also includes Cameron
> Diaz, James Woods, Jamie Foxx, and LL Cool J. Name it.

Any Given Sunday

> F. Actors
>
> In each case, name the athlete/actor.
>
> F1. After playing for 13 years with the Oakland Raiders, he
> jumped into the world of acting with roles in "Broken Arrow"
> and "Firestorm". This Hall of Fame defensive end can now be
> found as one of the co-hosts on FOX Network's NFL coverage.

Long

> F2. The first pick in the 1967 NFL draft, he played 9 seasons
> in the NFL as a defensive end; his best-known movie character
> is Moses Hightower in the "Police Academy" movies.

--
cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Jan 29, 2014, 5:14:01ā€ÆPM1/29/14
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-11-04,
> see my 2013-09-15 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Game 10 is over and for the first time in QFTCI history there is a
*tie* for first place. Listed in random order, the winners are JOSHUA
KREITZER and STEPHEN PERRY. So, half-hearted congratulations to both!

> * Game 7, Round 9 - Entertainment - World Cinema

This was the hardest round in the original game.

> 1. What director's films include "Battleship Potemkin", "October",
> and "Alexander Nevsky"?

Sergei Eisenstein. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Marc, Pete, and Calvin.
3 for Jason.

> 2. Whose films include "Solaris" (1972) and "Andrei Rublev" (1966),
> and was called the greatest director by Ingmar Bergman?

Andrei Tarkovsky. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 3. What Japanese anime director's films include "My Neighbor
> Totoro", "Princess Mononoke", and "Spirited Away"?

Hayao Miyazaki. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 4. What Japanese actor (1920-97) starred in "Rashomon", "Seven
> Samurai", "Throne of Blood", "Yojimbo", and over 160 other
> movies?

Toshiro Mifune. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Marc.

> 5. Name the "playback" singer who has lent her voice over a
> 6-decade career in Bollywood to hundreds of films that onscreen
> actresses would lip-sync to. She was named in 2011 as the
> most recorded artist in music history and was married to score
> composer R.D. Burman.

Asha Bhosle.

> 6. What Mexican director's films include "Amores perros",
> "21 Grams", and "Biutiful"?

Alejandro Gonzalez IƱarritu. 4 for Joshua.

> 7. What actress starred in "Red Sorghum", "Raise the Red Lantern",
> "The Story of Qiu Ju", and "Farewell My Concubine"?

Gong Li. 4 for Joshua.

> 8. Who directed the "Apu" trilogy of films?

Satyajit Ray. 4 for Joshua and Marc.

> 9. Name the actor who -- before becoming known to Western audiences
> for roles in "Anna and the King", "Pirates of the Caribbean: At
> World's End", and "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" -- was a star
> of numerous Hong Kong action films, several directed by John Woo.

Chow Yun Fat. 4 for Joshua and Marc.

> 10. What martial arts action star's films include "Lethal Weapon 4",
> "Romeo Must Die", "The Forbidden Kingdom", and "Hero" (2002)?

Jet Li. 4 for Joshua, Jason, and Marc.

> * Game 7, Round 10 - Sports Challenge Round

> This round is all American football, all the time.

> A. Breaking the Law

> In each case, name the player.

> A1. This two-time Super Bowl champion, two-time defensive player
> of the year, and the MVP of Super Bowl XXXV, was indicted on
> murder and aggravated-assault charges in 2000. The murder
> charges were dismissed in exchange for a guilty plea to a
> misdemeanor charge of obstruction of justice.

Ray Lewis. 4 for Jason, Marc, and Pete.

> A2. In August 2013, this Patriots star was indicted for the
> murder of Odin Lloyd, and he is currently being investigated
> in connection with other murders in both Florida and
> Massachusetts.

Aaron Hernandez. 4 for Marc.

> B. Places

> In each case, name the team associated with the stadium mentioned.

> B1. The Dawg Pound is the name of the bleacher section behind
> the east end zone in FirstEnergy Stadium, the home field
> of this NFL team. It is known for its extremely zealous
> fan base.

Cleveland Browns. 4 for Joshua, Jason, Marc, Pete, Dan Tilque,
and Calvin.

> B2. AT&T Stadium, completed in 2009, has a maximum capacity
> of 105,000. It has the world's largest column-free interior
> and the fourth-largest high-definition video screen, which
> hangs from 20-yard line to 20-yard line.

Dallas Cowboys. 4 for Joshua, Marc, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> C. Stuff that Happened a Long Time Ago

> These questions are about the 1967 AFL-NFL World Championship Game,
> nicknamed -- and then retroactively named officially -- the first
> "Super Bowl", in which the Green Bay Packers defeated the Kansas
> City Chiefs 35-10.

> C1. Who was named MVP of the game?

Bart Starr. 4 for Joshua, Marc, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> C2. Where was it played? Name *either* the city or the stadium.

Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. 4 for Pete and Dan Tilque.

> D. Science

> D1. A football is what type of three-dimensional shape?

Prolate spheroid. I also accepted "ellipsoid". 4 for Joshua
and Dan Tilque.

A prolate spheroid is an ellipsoid with two axes equal and the
third longer, so "ellipsoid" is equally correct but less specific.
"Equally correct" may also be read as "equally incorrect": technically
neither one is an accurate description, since a football has slightly
pointed ends. But "prolate spheroid" is the common description and
was the intended answer.

> D2. What is the only combination of scoring plays by which an
> NFL team can score a total of 5 points in a game?
> This happened in the 1970 playoff game when the Dallas
> Cowboys defeated the Detroit Lions 5-0.

A field goal (3) and a safety (2). No singles in the American game.
4 for Joshua, Jason, Marc, Pete, Dan Tilque, and Calvin.

> E. Movies

> In each case, name the movie.

> E1. This 1998 college football comedy stars Adam Sandler as
> Bobby Boucher, an intellectually challenged character with
> an amazing talent for tackling. It also stars Henry Winkler
> as the coach, and Kathy Bates as Boucher's mother. Name it.

"The Waterboy". 4 for Joshua, Jason, and Marc.

> E2. This 1999 Oliver Stone film stars Al Pacino as coach of the
> Miami Sharks. It's star-studded cast also includes Cameron
> Diaz, James Woods, Jamie Foxx, and LL Cool J. Name it.

"Any Given Sunday". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Jason, Marc, and Calvin.

> F. Actors

> In each case, name the athlete/actor.

> F1. After playing for 13 years with the Oakland Raiders, he
> jumped into the world of acting with roles in "Broken Arrow"
> and "Firestorm". This Hall of Fame defensive end can now be
> found as one of the co-hosts on FOX Network's NFL coverage.

Howie Long. 4 for Joshua, Marc, and Calvin.

> F2. The first pick in the 1967 NFL draft, he played 9 seasons
> in the NFL as a defensive end; his best-known movie character
> is Moses Hightower in the "Police Academy" movies.

Bubba Smith. 4 for Joshua, Jason, and Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> His Geo Can Sci Spo Mis Ent Cha SIX
Stephen Perry 40 36 4 36 34 40 -- -- 190
Joshua Kreitzer 35 28 8 28 27 7 36 36 190
Marc Dashevsky 20 12 0 32 8 16 20 36 136
Pete Gayde 23 28 -- -- 28 0 4 28 111
Dan Blum 28 24 0 21 8 8 16 4 105
Dan Tilque 24 8 0 20 12 0 0 24 88
Jeff Turner 12 16 0 36 8 12 -- -- 84
Jason Kreitzer 24 12 0 0 -- -- 7 24 67
Peter Smyth 16 28 -- -- 16 0 -- -- 60
Rob Parker 4 4 0 18 20 8 -- -- 54
"Calvin" -- -- -- -- 16 8 4 16 44
Bruce Bowler -- -- -- -- 8 16 -- -- 24
Erland Sommarskog 8 4 0 8 -- -- -- -- 20

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "People say I'm a skeptic --
m...@vex.net but I find that hard to believe."

Jeffrey Turner

Jan 29, 2014, 5:55:57ā€ÆPM1/29/14
On 1/26/2014 4:44 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 9 - Entertainment - World Cinema
>
> 1. What director's films include "Battleship Potemkin", "October",
> and "Alexander Nevsky"?

Eisenstein
Steelers

> B2. AT&T Stadium, completed in 2009, has a maximum capacity
> of 105,000. It has the world's largest column-free interior
> and the fourth-largest high-definition video screen, which
> hangs from 20-yard line to 20-yard line.

Cowboys

> C. Stuff that Happened a Long Time Ago
>
> These questions are about the 1967 AFL-NFL World Championship Game,
> nicknamed -- and then retroactively named officially -- the first
> "Super Bowl", in which the Green Bay Packers defeated the Kansas
> City Chiefs 35-10.
>
> C1. Who was named MVP of the game?

Bart Starr

> C2. Where was it played? Name *either* the city or the stadium.

San Francisco

> D. Science
>
> D1. A football is what type of three-dimensional shape?

lozenge

> D2. What is the only combination of scoring plays by which an
> NFL team can score a total of 5 points in a game?
> This happened in the 1970 playoff game when the Dallas
> Cowboys defeated the Detroit Lions 5-0.

field goal and safety

> E. Movies
>
> In each case, name the movie.
>
> E1. This 1998 college football comedy stars Adam Sandler as
> Bobby Boucher, an intellectually challenged character with
> an amazing talent for tackling. It also stars Henry Winkler
> as the coach, and Kathy Bates as Boucher's mother. Name it.

The Water Boy

> E2. This 1999 Oliver Stone film stars Al Pacino as coach of the
> Miami Sharks. It's star-studded cast also includes Cameron
> Diaz, James Woods, Jamie Foxx, and LL Cool J. Name it.
>
> F. Actors
>
> In each case, name the athlete/actor.
>
> F1. After playing for 13 years with the Oakland Raiders, he
> jumped into the world of acting with roles in "Broken Arrow"
> and "Firestorm". This Hall of Fame defensive end can now be
> found as one of the co-hosts on FOX Network's NFL coverage.
>
> F2. The first pick in the 1967 NFL draft, he played 9 seasons
> in the NFL as a defensive end; his best-known movie character
> is Moses Hightower in the "Police Academy" movies.

Grier

--Jeff

Mark Brader

Jan 29, 2014, 6:31:01ā€ÆPM1/29/14
If Jeff Turner had posted his answers on time, he would have scored
4 points on Round 9 and 16 on Round 10, for a final score of 100.

--
Mark Brader "I can see the time when every city will have one."
Toronto -- An American mayor's reaction to the