QFTCICR19 Game 7, Rounds 7-8: WS underdogs, ballets

Mark Brader

Apr 16, 2019, 6:42:04 PM4/16/19
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-03-18,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Cellar Rats and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 7, Round 7 - Sports - Underdog World Series Winners

Each of these questions is about a year when one of the two pennant
winners won at least 10 games more than the other in the regular
season, but still lost the World Series -- and you must name the
*winning team*.

1. In 2003 the NY Yankees were favored to win. Which opponent
defeated them in 6 games?

2. The 1995 World Series, which team defeated the favorite Cleveland
Indians in 6?

3. The 1988 Oakland Athletics were favored to win the World Series,
but they lost in 4 straight games. Who beat them?

4. Once again in 1990, the Oakland A's were favored to win it all
but lost in 4 straight games. Who were their opponents, whose
José Rijo won the Series MVP award?

5. The 1987 World Series, the St. Louis Cardinals were the
favorites, but the underdog won the series in 7 games.
Which team won this series?

6. In 1985 which team found their first World Series win, defeating
the heavily favored St. Louis Cardinals in 7 games?

7. In 1974 the lopsided favorite was the Los Angeles Dodgers.
They lost the series in 5 games. Who defeated them?

8. In 1954 the Cleveland Indians were odds-on favorites to win
the World Series, but were skunked 4 games to none by which team?

9. The 1945 Chicago Cubs were favored to win the World Series but
lost -- and never made the Series again for the rest of the
century. Which team defeated them in 7 games?

10. In 1906 the NL favorite Chicago Cubs were an odds-on favorite
to win. Which AL team stole the World Series 4 games to 2?

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Gur sbyybjvat
cbffvoyr nafjref ner pvgvrf gung unir unq zber guna bar znwbe-yrnthr
grnz, be grnz anzrf gung unir orra hfrq va qvssrerag pvgvrf, qhevat
gur ren bs gur Jbeyq Frevrf: Puvpntb, Xnafnf Pvgl, Ybf Natryrf,
Arj Lbex, Bnxynaq; Oenirf, Qbqtref, Tvnagf. Vs lbh tnir nal bs
gurfr nf na nafjre engure guna gur pbzcyrgr anzr (yvxr "Zbagerny
Pnanqvraf"), cyrnfr tb onpx naq fhccyl gur pbzcyrgr anzr. Nafjref
abg yvfgrq va guvf abgr jvyy or npprcgrq vs pbeerpg naq qb abg
arrq nal nqqvgvbany vasbezngvba.

* Game 7, Round 8 - Entertainment - Ballets

In each case we give some information about the story and tell you
when and sometimes where the ballet premiered, give the title --
in English, unless we specify otherwise.

1. Literally translated as "The Poorly Guarded Girl", a comic
ballet presented in two acts, inspired by Pierre-Antoine
Baudouin's 1789 painting, "La réprimande" or "Une jeune fille
querellée par sa mčre". The ballet was originally choreographed
to music based on popular French airs. (1789, Bordeaux.)
Answer in French.

2. Conceived as a showcase for the dancer Nijinsky: a young faun
meets several nymphs, flirts with them and chases them.
This ballet had an overtly erotic subtext beneath its facade of
Greek antiquity, ending with a scene of graphic sexual desire,
which was highly controversial at the time of its premiere
(in 1912).

3. Prince Siegfried falls in love with Swan Odette. An Evil
Magician creates a rival Swan Odile to trick the Prince into
marriage. (1877, Bolshoi Ballet.)

4. Based on an E.T. Hoffman story. A young girl's Christmas
toys come to life and she has an exhilarating adventure.
(St. Petersburg, 1892.)

5. A magical glowing bird arrives from a faraway land, which is
both a blessing and a bringer of doom to its captor. (1910,
Paris.)

6. A young peasant girl falls for the flirtations of a disguised
nobleman. The girl dies of heartbreak, and the nobleman must
face the otherworldly consequences of his careless seduction.
(1841, Paris.)

7. On morning of his wedding day a man falls in love with a sylph.
She seduces him away from his betrothed and a witch tricks him
into believing her magical scarf will capture the beautiful
sylph. He unknowingly does this thus destroying the sylphs
wings causing her death. (1832.) Answer in French.

8. Dr. Coppélius has made a life-size dancing doll. Franz, a
village youth, becomes infatuated with it and sets aside his
heart's true desire, Swanhilda. She shows him his folly by
dressing as the doll, pretending to make it come to life and
ultimately saving him from an untimely end at the hands of
the inventor. (1870.)

9. A love triangle and a meditation on class in 19th-century Russia.
This ballet takes its name from an Alexander Pushkin novel.
(1965, Stuttgart Ballet.)

10. Described by its composer as "a musical-choreographic work,
representing pagan Russia, unified by a single idea: the mystery
and great surge of the creative power of Spring". The work
lacks a specific plot or narrative, and can be considered a
succession of choreographed episodes. (1913.)

--
Mark Brader | "(I've been told that I suffer from rampant narcissism.
Toronto | Just to confirm the accuracy of this character assessment,

Calvin

Apr 16, 2019, 7:42:47 PM4/16/19
On Wednesday, April 17, 2019 at 8:42:04 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 7 - Sports - Underdog World Series Winners

Pass

> * Game 7, Round 8 - Entertainment - Ballets
>
> In each case we give some information about the story and tell you
> when and sometimes where the ballet premiered, give the title --
> in English, unless we specify otherwise.
>
> 1. Literally translated as "The Poorly Guarded Girl", a comic
> ballet presented in two acts, inspired by Pierre-Antoine
> Baudouin's 1789 painting, "La réprimande" or "Une jeune fille
> querellée par sa mčre". The ballet was originally choreographed
> to music based on popular French airs. (1789, Bordeaux.)
> Answer in French.
>
> 2. Conceived as a showcase for the dancer Nijinsky: a young faun
> meets several nymphs, flirts with them and chases them.
> This ballet had an overtly erotic subtext beneath its facade of
> Greek antiquity, ending with a scene of graphic sexual desire,
> which was highly controversial at the time of its premiere
> (in 1912).
>
> 3. Prince Siegfried falls in love with Swan Odette. An Evil
> Magician creates a rival Swan Odile to trick the Prince into
> marriage. (1877, Bolshoi Ballet.)

Swan Lake

> 4. Based on an E.T. Hoffman story. A young girl's Christmas
> toys come to life and she has an exhilarating adventure.
> (St. Petersburg, 1892.)

The Nutcraker

> 5. A magical glowing bird arrives from a faraway land, which is
> both a blessing and a bringer of doom to its captor. (1910,
> Paris.)

The Firebird

> 6. A young peasant girl falls for the flirtations of a disguised
> nobleman. The girl dies of heartbreak, and the nobleman must
> face the otherworldly consequences of his careless seduction.
> (1841, Paris.)
>
> 7. On morning of his wedding day a man falls in love with a sylph.
> She seduces him away from his betrothed and a witch tricks him
> into believing her magical scarf will capture the beautiful
> sylph. He unknowingly does this thus destroying the sylphs
> wings causing her death. (1832.) Answer in French.
>
> 8. Dr. Coppélius has made a life-size dancing doll. Franz, a
> village youth, becomes infatuated with it and sets aside his
> heart's true desire, Swanhilda. She shows him his folly by
> dressing as the doll, pretending to make it come to life and
> ultimately saving him from an untimely end at the hands of
> the inventor. (1870.)
>
> 9. A love triangle and a meditation on class in 19th-century Russia.
> This ballet takes its name from an Alexander Pushkin novel.
> (1965, Stuttgart Ballet.)

Eugene Onegin

> 10. Described by its composer as "a musical-choreographic work,
> representing pagan Russia, unified by a single idea: the mystery
> and great surge of the creative power of Spring". The work
> lacks a specific plot or narrative, and can be considered a
> succession of choreographed episodes. (1913.)

The Rite of Spring

cheers,
calvin

Joshua Kreitzer

Apr 16, 2019, 11:21:15 PM4/16/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:y5KdnWW_5dyqxyvBnZ2dnUU7-
K3N...@giganews.com:

> * Game 7, Round 7 - Sports - Underdog World Series Winners
>
> Each of these questions is about a year when one of the two pennant
> winners won at least 10 games more than the other in the regular
> season, but still lost the World Series -- and you must name the
> *winning team*.
>
> 3. The 1988 Oakland Athletics were favored to win the World Series,
> but they lost in 4 straight games. Who beat them?

San Francisco Giants

> 4. Once again in 1990, the Oakland A's were favored to win it all
> but lost in 4 straight games. Who were their opponents, whose
> José Rijo won the Series MVP award?

San Francisco Giants

> 6. In 1985 which team found their first World Series win, defeating
> the heavily favored St. Louis Cardinals in 7 games?

Milwaukee Brewers

> 7. In 1974 the lopsided favorite was the Los Angeles Dodgers.
> They lost the series in 5 games. Who defeated them?

Oakland A's

> * Game 7, Round 8 - Entertainment - Ballets
>
> In each case we give some information about the story and tell you
> when and sometimes where the ballet premiered, give the title --
> in English, unless we specify otherwise.
>
> 2. Conceived as a showcase for the dancer Nijinsky: a young faun
> meets several nymphs, flirts with them and chases them.
> This ballet had an overtly erotic subtext beneath its facade of
> Greek antiquity, ending with a scene of graphic sexual desire,
> which was highly controversial at the time of its premiere
> (in 1912).

"The Afternoon of a Faun"

> 3. Prince Siegfried falls in love with Swan Odette. An Evil
> Magician creates a rival Swan Odile to trick the Prince into
> marriage. (1877, Bolshoi Ballet.)

"Swan Lake"

> 4. Based on an E.T. Hoffman story. A young girl's Christmas
> toys come to life and she has an exhilarating adventure.
> (St. Petersburg, 1892.)

"The Nutcracker"

> 8. Dr. Coppélius has made a life-size dancing doll. Franz, a
> village youth, becomes infatuated with it and sets aside his
> heart's true desire, Swanhilda. She shows him his folly by
> dressing as the doll, pretending to make it come to life and
> ultimately saving him from an untimely end at the hands of
> the inventor. (1870.)

"Coppelia"

> 9. A love triangle and a meditation on class in 19th-century Russia.
> This ballet takes its name from an Alexander Pushkin novel.
> (1965, Stuttgart Ballet.)

"Eugene Onegin"

> 10. Described by its composer as "a musical-choreographic work,
> representing pagan Russia, unified by a single idea: the mystery
> and great surge of the creative power of Spring". The work
> lacks a specific plot or narrative, and can be considered a
> succession of choreographed episodes. (1913.)

"The Rite of Spring"

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Erland Sommarskog

Apr 17, 2019, 1:56:16 PM4/17/19
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 7, Round 8 - Entertainment - Ballets
>
> 3. Prince Siegfried falls in love with Swan Odette. An Evil
> Magician creates a rival Swan Odile to trick the Prince into
> marriage. (1877, Bolshoi Ballet.)

Swan Lake

> 5. A magical glowing bird arrives from a faraway land, which is
> both a blessing and a bringer of doom to its captor. (1910,
> Paris.)

Firebird

> 10. Described by its composer as "a musical-choreographic work,
> representing pagan Russia, unified by a single idea: the mystery
> and great surge of the creative power of Spring". The work
> lacks a specific plot or narrative, and can be considered a
> succession of choreographed episodes. (1913.)

The Rite of Spring

Pete Gayde

Apr 18, 2019, 3:08:30 PM4/18/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:y5KdnWW_5dyqxyvBnZ2dnUU7-
K3N...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-03-18,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Cellar Rats and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 7, Round 7 - Sports - Underdog World Series Winners
>
> Each of these questions is about a year when one of the two pennant
> winners won at least 10 games more than the other in the regular
> season, but still lost the World Series -- and you must name the
> *winning team*.
>
> 1. In 2003 the NY Yankees were favored to win. Which opponent
> defeated them in 6 games?

Marlins

> 2. The 1995 World Series, which team defeated the favorite Cleveland
> Indians in 6?

Atlanta Braves

> 3. The 1988 Oakland Athletics were favored to win the World Series,
> but they lost in 4 straight games. Who beat them?

Cincinnati Reds

> 4. Once again in 1990, the Oakland A's were favored to win it all
> but lost in 4 straight games. Who were their opponents, whose
> José Rijo won the Series MVP award?

Cincinnati Reds

> 5. The 1987 World Series, the St. Louis Cardinals were the
> favorites, but the underdog won the series in 7 games.
> Which team won this series?

Minnesota Twins

> 6. In 1985 which team found their first World Series win, defeating
> the heavily favored St. Louis Cardinals in 7 games?

Kansas City Royals

> 7. In 1974 the lopsided favorite was the Los Angeles Dodgers.
> They lost the series in 5 games. Who defeated them?

Oakland Athletics

> 8. In 1954 the Cleveland Indians were odds-on favorites to win
> the World Series, but were skunked 4 games to none by which team?

New York Giants

> 9. The 1945 Chicago Cubs were favored to win the World Series but
> lost -- and never made the Series again for the rest of the
> century. Which team defeated them in 7 games?

Detroit Tigers

> 10. In 1906 the NL favorite Chicago Cubs were an odds-on favorite
> to win. Which AL team stole the World Series 4 games to 2?

Chicago White Sox

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Gur sbyybjvat
> cbffvoyr nafjref ner pvgvrf gung unir unq zber guna bar znwbe-yrnthr
> grnz, be grnz anzrf gung unir orra hfrq va qvssrerag pvgvrf, qhevat
> gur ren bs gur Jbeyq Frevrf: Puvpntb, Xnafnf Pvgl, Ybf Natryrf,
> Arj Lbex, Bnxynaq; Oenirf, Qbqtref, Tvnagf. Vs lbh tnir nal bs
> gurfr nf na nafjre engure guna gur pbzcyrgr anzr (yvxr "Zbagerny
> Pnanqvraf"), cyrnfr tb onpx naq fhccyl gur pbzcyrgr anzr. Nafjref
> abg yvfgrq va guvf abgr jvyy or npprcgrq vs pbeerpg naq qb abg
> arrq nal nqqvgvbany vasbezngvba.
>

> * Game 7, Round 8 - Entertainment - Ballets
>
> In each case we give some information about the story and tell you
> when and sometimes where the ballet premiered, give the title --
> in English, unless we specify otherwise.
>
> 1. Literally translated as "The Poorly Guarded Girl", a comic
> ballet presented in two acts, inspired by Pierre-Antoine
> Baudouin's 1789 painting, "La réprimande" or "Une jeune fille
> querellée par sa mère". The ballet was originally choreographed
> to music based on popular French airs. (1789, Bordeaux.)
> Answer in French.

La Fille Mal Garde

> 2. Conceived as a showcase for the dancer Nijinsky: a young faun
> meets several nymphs, flirts with them and chases them.
> This ballet had an overtly erotic subtext beneath its facade of
> Greek antiquity, ending with a scene of graphic sexual desire,
> which was highly controversial at the time of its premiere
> (in 1912).

Daphnis and Chloe

> 3. Prince Siegfried falls in love with Swan Odette. An Evil
> Magician creates a rival Swan Odile to trick the Prince into
> marriage. (1877, Bolshoi Ballet.)

Swan Lake

> 4. Based on an E.T. Hoffman story. A young girl's Christmas
> toys come to life and she has an exhilarating adventure.
> (St. Petersburg, 1892.)

The Nutcracker

> 5. A magical glowing bird arrives from a faraway land, which is
> both a blessing and a bringer of doom to its captor. (1910,
> Paris.)

The Firebird

> 6. A young peasant girl falls for the flirtations of a disguised
> nobleman. The girl dies of heartbreak, and the nobleman must
> face the otherworldly consequences of his careless seduction.
> (1841, Paris.)

Coppelia

> 7. On morning of his wedding day a man falls in love with a sylph.
> She seduces him away from his betrothed and a witch tricks him
> into believing her magical scarf will capture the beautiful
> sylph. He unknowingly does this thus destroying the sylphs
> wings causing her death. (1832.) Answer in French.

Les Sylphides

> 8. Dr. Coppélius has made a life-size dancing doll. Franz, a
> village youth, becomes infatuated with it and sets aside his
> heart's true desire, Swanhilda. She shows him his folly by
> dressing as the doll, pretending to make it come to life and
> ultimately saving him from an untimely end at the hands of
> the inventor. (1870.)

Coppelia

> 9. A love triangle and a meditation on class in 19th-century Russia.
> This ballet takes its name from an Alexander Pushkin novel.
> (1965, Stuttgart Ballet.)
>
> 10. Described by its composer as "a musical-choreographic work,
> representing pagan Russia, unified by a single idea: the mystery
> and great surge of the creative power of Spring". The work
> lacks a specific plot or narrative, and can be considered a
> succession of choreographed episodes. (1913.)

Rite of Spring

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Apr 19, 2019, 8:23:41 PM4/19/19
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-03-18,
> see my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 7, Round 7 - Sports - Underdog World Series Winners

> Each of these questions is about a year when one of the two pennant
> winners won at least 10 games more than the other in the regular
> season, but still lost the World Series -- and you must name the
> *winning team*.

> 1. In 2003 the NY Yankees were favored to win. Which opponent
> defeated them in 6 games?

Florida Marlins. 4 for Pete.

> 2. The 1995 World Series, which team defeated the favorite Cleveland
> Indians in 6?

Atlanta Braves. ("Atlanta" was required.) 4 for Pete.

> 3. The 1988 Oakland Athletics were favored to win the World Series,
> but they lost in 4 straight games. Who beat them?

Los Angeles Dodgers. (Full name required.)

> 4. Once again in 1990, the Oakland A's were favored to win it all
> but lost in 4 straight games. Who were their opponents, whose
> José Rijo won the Series MVP award?

Cincinnati Reds. 4 for Pete.

> 5. The 1987 World Series, the St. Louis Cardinals were the
> favorites, but the underdog won the series in 7 games.
> Which team won this series?

Minnesota Twins. 4 for Pete.

> 6. In 1985 which team found their first World Series win, defeating
> the heavily favored St. Louis Cardinals in 7 games?

Kansas City Royals. ("Royals" was required.) 4 for Pete.

> 7. In 1974 the lopsided favorite was the Los Angeles Dodgers.
> They lost the series in 5 games. Who defeated them?

Oakland Athletics ("Oakland" was required; accepting "Oakland A's").
4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 8. In 1954 the Cleveland Indians were odds-on favorites to win
> the World Series, but were skunked 4 games to none by which team?

New York Giants. (Full name required.). 4 for Pete.

> 9. The 1945 Chicago Cubs were favored to win the World Series but
> lost -- and never made the Series again for the rest of the
> century. Which team defeated them in 7 games?

Detroit Tigers. 4 for Pete.

> 10. In 1906 the NL favorite Chicago Cubs were an odds-on favorite
> to win. Which AL team stole the World Series 4 games to 2?

Chicago White Sox. ("White Sox" required.) 4 for Pete.

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: The following
> possible answers are cities that have had more than one major-league
> team, or team names that have been used in different cities, during
> the era of the World Series: Chicago, Kansas City, Los Angeles,
> New York, Oakland; Braves, Dodgers, Giants. If you gave any of
> these as an answer rather than the complete name (like "Montreal
> Canadiens"), please go back and supply the complete name. Answers
> not listed in this note will be accepted if correct and do not
> need any additional information.

The original question-setters did not specify what form of team
names had to be given, but I thought this was the best way to do it.

> * Game 7, Round 8 - Entertainment - Ballets

> In each case we give some information about the story and tell you
> when and sometimes where the ballet premiered, give the title --
> in English, unless we specify otherwise.

> 1. Literally translated as "The Poorly Guarded Girl", a comic
> ballet presented in two acts, inspired by Pierre-Antoine
> Baudouin's 1789 painting, "La réprimande" or "Une jeune fille
> querellée par sa mčre". The ballet was originally choreographed
> to music based on popular French airs. (1789, Bordeaux.)
> Answer in French.

"La Fille mal gardée". 4 for Pete.

> 2. Conceived as a showcase for the dancer Nijinsky: a young faun
> meets several nymphs, flirts with them and chases them.
> This ballet had an overtly erotic subtext beneath its facade of
> Greek antiquity, ending with a scene of graphic sexual desire,
> which was highly controversial at the time of its premiere
> (in 1912).

"Afternoon of a Faun". 4 for Joshua.

> 3. Prince Siegfried falls in love with Swan Odette. An Evil
> Magician creates a rival Swan Odile to trick the Prince into
> marriage. (1877, Bolshoi Ballet.)

"Swan Lake". 4 for everyone -- Calvin, Joshua, Erland, and Pete.

> 4. Based on an E.T. Hoffman story. A young girl's Christmas
> toys come to life and she has an exhilarating adventure.
> (St. Petersburg, 1892.)

"The Nutcracker". 4 for Calvin, Joshua, and Pete.

> 5. A magical glowing bird arrives from a faraway land, which is
> both a blessing and a bringer of doom to its captor. (1910,
> Paris.)

"The Firebird". 4 for Calvin, Erland, and Pete.

> 6. A young peasant girl falls for the flirtations of a disguised
> nobleman. The girl dies of heartbreak, and the nobleman must
> face the otherworldly consequences of his careless seduction.
> (1841, Paris.)

"Giselle".

> 7. On morning of his wedding day a man falls in love with a sylph.
> She seduces him away from his betrothed and a witch tricks him
> into believing her magical scarf will capture the beautiful
> sylph. He unknowingly does this thus destroying the sylphs
> wings causing her death. (1832.) Answer in French.

"La Sylphide". 4 for Pete.

> 8. Dr. Coppélius has made a life-size dancing doll. Franz, a
> village youth, becomes infatuated with it and sets aside his
> heart's true desire, Swanhilda. She shows him his folly by
> dressing as the doll, pretending to make it come to life and
> ultimately saving him from an untimely end at the hands of
> the inventor. (1870.)

"Coppelia". 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 9. A love triangle and a meditation on class in 19th-century Russia.
> This ballet takes its name from an Alexander Pushkin novel.
> (1965, Stuttgart Ballet.)

"Onegin". 3 for Calvin and Joshua.

> 10. Described by its composer as "a musical-choreographic work,
> representing pagan Russia, unified by a single idea: the mystery
> and great surge of the creative power of Spring". The work
> lacks a specific plot or narrative, and can be considered a
> succession of choreographed episodes. (1913.)

"The Rite of Spring". 4 for everyone.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 7 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> His Can Lit Aud Sci Spo Ent FIVE
Pete Gayde 24 4 16 0 28 36 28 132
Joshua Kreitzer 16 8 36 4 36 4 23 119
"Calvin" 28 0 16 0 35 0 19 98
Erland Sommarskog -- -- 4 4 31 0 12 51
Dan Tilque -- -- 8 0 36 -- -- 44
Dan Blum 12 0 -- -- -- -- -- 12

--
Mark Brader "This must be a serious issue!
Toronto It's spawned a new interjection!"