Calvin's Quiz #525

Calvin

Jun 29, 2018, 12:16:08 AM6/29/18

1 The HBO series 'Boardwalk Empire' was set in the 1920s in which US city?
2 The Khaled Hosseini novels 'The Kite Runner' and 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' are primarily set in which Asian country?
3 The last line of which 1933 film is: "Oh no, it wasn’t the airplanes. It was Beauty killed the Beast"?
4 The stylised rabbit featured in the famous Playboy logo wears which specific item of clothing?
5 The TV shows 'Glee' and 'Freaks and Geeks' are both set at high schools named after which ill-fated U.S. president?
6 The Vedas are sacred texts in what religion?
7 The Winter War [1939 - 1940] was a military conflict between the Soviet Union and which other country?
8 There are two sub-orders of whale, toothed and which other?
9 What is the common name of the marine creatures which belong to the genus hippocampus?
10 What was the pre-1998 name of the Indian city now known as Mumbai?

I am away for a week so answers will not appear before 9th July.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Jun 29, 2018, 12:29:27 AM6/29/18
Calvin:
> 1 The HBO series 'Boardwalk Empire' was set in the 1920s in
> which US city?

Atlantic City.

> 2 The Khaled Hosseini novels 'The Kite Runner' and 'A Thousand
> Splendid Suns' are primarily set in which Asian country?

Iran?

> 3 The last line of which 1933 film is: "Oh no, it wasn't the
> airplanes. It was Beauty killed the Beast"?

"King Kong".

> 4 The stylised rabbit featured in the famous Playboy logo wears
> which specific item of clothing?

Top hat.

> 5 The TV shows 'Glee' and 'Freaks and Geeks' are both set at
> high schools named after which ill-fated U.S. president?

Linvoln. (Genuine typo left in for amusement value.) Lincoln.

> 6 The Vedas are sacred texts in what religion?

Hinduish. (Genuine typo left in for amusement value.) Hinduism.

> 7 The Winter War [1939 - 1940] was a military conflict between
> the Soviet Union and which other country?

Finland.

> 8 There are two sub-orders of whale, toothed and which other?

Baleen.

> 9 What is the common name of the marine creatures which belong
> to the genus hippocampus?

Seahorse.

> 10 What was the pre-1998 name of the Indian city now known as Mumbai?

Bombay.

> I am away for a week so answers will not appear before 9th July.

Enjoy your trip, if applicable.
--
Mark Brader "Exercise 5-3: ... When should you
Toronto have stopped adding features...?"

Peter Smyth

Jun 29, 2018, 3:55:48 AM6/29/18
Calvin wrote:

> 1 The HBO series 'Boardwalk Empire' was set in the 1920s in which US city?
Atlantic City
> 2 The Khaled Hosseini novels 'The Kite Runner' and 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' are primarily set in which Asian country?
Iran
> 3 The last line of which 1933 film is: "Oh no, it wasn’t the airplanes. It was Beauty killed the Beast"?
> 4 The stylised rabbit featured in the famous Playboy logo wears which specific item of clothing?
Bow Tie
> 5 The TV shows 'Glee' and 'Freaks and Geeks' are both set at high schools named after which ill-fated U.S. president?
Lincoln
> 6 The Vedas are sacred texts in what religion?
Hinduism
> 7 The Winter War [1939 - 1940] was a military conflict between the Soviet Union and which other country?
> 8 There are two sub-orders of whale, toothed and which other?
Non-toothed
> 9 What is the common name of the marine creatures which belong to the genus hippocampus?
> 10 What was the pre-1998 name of the Indian city now known as Mumbai?
Bombay

Peter Smyth

bbowler

Jun 29, 2018, 8:48:03 AM6/29/18
On Thu, 28 Jun 2018 21:16:07 -0700, Calvin wrote:

> 1 The HBO series 'Boardwalk Empire' was set in the 1920s in which US
> city?

Atlantic City

> 2 The Khaled Hosseini novels 'The Kite Runner' and 'A Thousand
Splendid
> Suns' are primarily set in which Asian country?

Iran

> 3 The last line of which 1933 film is: "Oh no, it wasn’t the
airplanes.
> It was Beauty killed the Beast"?

King Kong

> 4 The stylised rabbit featured in the famous Playboy logo wears which
> specific item of clothing?

Bowtie

> 5 The TV shows 'Glee' and 'Freaks and Geeks' are both set at high
> schools named after which ill-fated U.S. president? 6 The Vedas are
> sacred texts in what religion?
> 7 The Winter War [1939 - 1940] was a military conflict between the
> Soviet Union and which other country?
> 8 There are two sub-orders of whale, toothed and which other?

Baleen

> 9 What is the common name of the marine creatures which belong to the
> genus hippocampus?

Seahorse

> 10 What was the pre-1998 name of the Indian city now known as Mumbai?

Bombay

---

Dan Blum

Jun 29, 2018, 10:17:21 AM6/29/18
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1 The HBO series 'Boardwalk Empire' was set in the 1920s in which US city?

Atlantic City

> 2 The Khaled Hosseini novels 'The Kite Runner' and 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' are primarily set in which Asian country?

Afghanistan

> 3 The last line of which 1933 film is: "Oh no, it wasn???t the airplanes. It was Beauty killed the Beast"?

King Kong

> 4 The stylised rabbit featured in the famous Playboy logo wears which specific item of clothing?

bow tie

> 5 The TV shows 'Glee' and 'Freaks and Geeks' are both set at high schools named after which ill-fated U.S. president?

William McKinley

> 6 The Vedas are sacred texts in what religion?

Hinduism

> 7 The Winter War [1939 - 1940] was a military conflict between the Soviet Union and which other country?

Finland

> 8 There are two sub-orders of whale, toothed and which other?

baleen

> 9 What is the common name of the marine creatures which belong to the genus hippocampus?

seahorse

> 10 What was the pre-1998 name of the Indian city now known as Mumbai?

Bombay

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

Jun 29, 2018, 3:07:02 PM6/29/18
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 The HBO series 'Boardwalk Empire' was set in the 1920s in which US
> city?

Chicago

> 2 The Khaled Hosseini novels 'The Kite Runner' and 'A Thousand
> Splendid Suns' are primarily set in which Asian country?

Iran

> 6 The Vedas are sacred texts in what religion?

Hindiusm

> 7 The Winter War [1939 - 1940] was a military conflict between the
> Soviet Union and which other country?

Finland

> 8 There are two sub-orders of whale, toothed and which other?

Barded (or whatever "bard" in Swedish translates to in English.)

> 9 What is the common name of the marine creatures which belong to
> the genus hippocampus?

Sea elephants

> 10 What was the pre-1998 name of the Indian city now known as Mumbai?

Bombay

Dan Tilque

Jun 29, 2018, 8:19:15 PM6/29/18
Calvin wrote:
> 1 The HBO series 'Boardwalk Empire' was set in the 1920s in which US city?

Atlantic City

> 2 The Khaled Hosseini novels 'The Kite Runner' and 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' are primarily set in which Asian country?

Iran

> 3 The last line of which 1933 film is: "Oh no, it wasn’t the airplanes. It was Beauty killed the Beast"?

King Kong

> 4 The stylised rabbit featured in the famous Playboy logo wears which specific item of clothing?

bowtie

> 5 The TV shows 'Glee' and 'Freaks and Geeks' are both set at high schools named after which ill-fated U.S. president?

Kennedy

> 6 The Vedas are sacred texts in what religion?

Hinduism

> 7 The Winter War [1939 - 1940] was a military conflict between the Soviet Union and which other country?

Finland

> 8 There are two sub-orders of whale, toothed and which other?

baleen

> 9 What is the common name of the marine creatures which belong to the genus hippocampus?

sea horses

> 10 What was the pre-1998 name of the Indian city now known as Mumbai?

Bombay

--
Dan Tilque

Pete Gayde

Jun 29, 2018, 8:36:46 PM6/29/18
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 The HBO series 'Boardwalk Empire' was set in the 1920s in which
> US city?

Atlantic City

> 2 The Khaled Hosseini novels 'The Kite Runner' and 'A
> Thousand Splendid Suns' are primarily set in which Asian country?

Pakistan

> 3 The last line of which 1933 film is: "Oh no, it wasn’t the
> airplanes. It was Beauty killed the Beast"?

King Kong

> 4 The stylised rabbit
> featured in the famous Playboy logo wears which specific item of
> clothing?

Bow tie

> 5 The TV shows 'Glee' and 'Freaks and Geeks' are both
> set at high schools named after which ill-fated U.S. president?

McKinley

> 6 The Vedas are sacred texts in what religion?

Hindu

> 7 The Winter War
> [1939 - 1940] was a military conflict between the Soviet Union and
> which other country?

Finland

> 8 There are two sub-orders of whale, toothed and which other?

Baleen

> 9 What is the common name of the marine creatures
> which belong to the genus hippocampus?

Manatee

> 10 What was the pre-1998
> name of the Indian city now known as Mumbai?

Bombay

> I am away for a week so answers will not appear before 9th July.
>
> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Gareth Owen

Jul 1, 2018, 2:34:58 PM7/1/18
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:

> 1 The HBO series 'Boardwalk Empire' was set in the 1920s in which US
> city?

Atlantic City

> 2 The Khaled Hosseini novels 'The Kite Runner' and 'A Thousand
> Splendid Suns' are primarily set in which Asian country?

Afghanistan

> 3 The last line of which 1933 film is: "Oh no, it wasn’t the
> airplanes. It was Beauty killed the Beast"?

King Kong

> 4 The stylised rabbit featured in the famous Playboy logo wears which
> specific item of clothing?

Bowtie

> 5 The TV shows 'Glee' and 'Freaks and Geeks' are both set at high
> schools named after which ill-fated U.S. president?

JFK?

> 6 The Vedas are sacred texts in what religion?

Hinduism

> 7 The Winter War [1939 - 1940] was a military conflict between the
> Soviet Union and which other country?

Finland

> 8 There are two sub-orders of whale, toothed and which other?

Beaked??? I know this isn't right, the other lot are named for that
weird filtering substance they use in feeding, but I can't for the life
of me remember what that is called...

> 9 What is the common name of the marine creatures which belong to the
> genus hippocampus?

Seahorses

> 10 What was the pre-1998 name of the Indian city now known as Mumbai?

Bombay

Calvin

Jul 8, 2018, 11:55:17 PM7/8/18
On Friday, June 29, 2018 at 2:16:08 PM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 The HBO series 'Boardwalk Empire' was set in the 1920s in which US city?

Atlantic City

> 2 The Khaled Hosseini novels 'The Kite Runner' and 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' are primarily set in which Asian country?

Afghanistan

> 3 The last line of which 1933 film is: "Oh no, it wasn’t the airplanes. It was Beauty killed the Beast"?

King Kong

> 4 The stylised rabbit featured in the famous Playboy logo wears which specific item of clothing?

Bow Tie

> 5 The TV shows 'Glee' and 'Freaks and Geeks' are both set at high schools named after which ill-fated U.S. president?

William McKinley

> 6 The Vedas are sacred texts in what religion?

Hinduism

> 7 The Winter War [1939 - 1940] was a military conflict between the Soviet Union and which other country?

Finland

> 8 There are two sub-orders of whale, toothed and which other?

Baleen
I accepted bard, the Swedish translation

> 9 What is the common name of the marine creatures which belong to the genus hippocampus?

Sea Horses

> 10 What was the pre-1998 name of the Indian city now known as Mumbai?

Bombay

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 525
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 10 55 Dan Blum
1 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 1 1 8 47 Gareth Owen
1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 8 48 Pete Gayde
1 0 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 8 51 Dan Tilque
1 0 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 7 45 Mark Brader
1 0 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 6 38 Bruce Bowler
0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 4 27 Erland S
1 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 4 28 Peter Smyth
7 2 6 6 2 7 6 6 5 8 55 69%

Congratulations to Dan B for the clear round and the win.

cheers,
calvin