Rotating Quiz 287: And Coming Last

Mark Brader

Apr 4, 2018, 2:08:52 PM4/4/18
This is Rotating Quiz #287, titled "And Coming Last".

I'd like to thank Marc Dashevsky for running RQ #286 and for
picking a topic that was a boyhood interest of mine. As usual,
the first choice to set RQ #288 will be the winner of this one.

This time there are 14 questions, 2 each on 7 topics, and they all
count equally. If any of the answers change during the contest
period, you may give either the new answer or the one that was
current when the questions were posted. See the detailed rules
below the questions.

In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be who scored on the
hardest questions, the second tiebreaker will be correct spelling
and capitalization, and and the third tiebreaker will be who
posted first.

As usual, please answer only from your own knowledge and -- except
in case of technical difficulties -- post all your answers to
the newsgroup in a single posting, quoting the questions you are
answering and placing your answers below each one.

You have until Monday, April 9, 2018, to enter, by Toronto time
(zone -5); that gives you 5 days and about almost hours from the
time of posting.

What is the ALPHABETICALLY LAST:

* Geography

1. Independent country now existing?
2. State of the US?

* Entertainment

3. Movie to have won the Oscar for Best Picture?
4. Person to have won an Oscar for acting?

* History

5. Person to have been Secretary-General of the UN?
6. Person to have been President of the US?

* Science

7. Chemical element?
8. Bone in the human body?

* Sports

9. Team to have played in the Premier League of British soccer?
10. City to have hosted the Olympics?

* Literature

11. Member of J.R.R. Tolkien's "Fellowship of the Ring"?
12. Tom Clancy novel featuring Jack Ryan (the original character,
not his son Jack Jr.)?

* Current Events (give or take a couple of years, if applicable)

13. Person fired from the US cabinet by Donald Trump?
14. Person fired from the UK cabinet by Theresa May?

* Canadiana

(Just kidding, we're done.)

You must alphabetize on the following basis:

* Use only the English language.

* For real or fictional people, if they have a surname, use only
that; if two or more in the same category have the same surname
then you need not distinguish them. You need only give the
surname as answer, but if you do answer with a full name, of
course it must be correct.

* For bones, use the usual anatomical names, most but not all of which
are in Latin. Where multiple bones have the same "basic name"
distinguished by additional words (e.g. left and right fibula),
just use the basic name (fibula).

* For places, use the usual short names, e.g. "France", "Mexico",
or "North Korea".

* For book or movie titles, use the full title and ignore any initial
articles, e.g. "The Color Purple" alphabetizes under C.

* For sports teams, use the usual name whether one or multiple words,
e.g. "Germany" or "Detroit Red Wings".

Have fun and good luck!
--
Mark Brader | "(I've been told that I suffer from rampant narcissism.
Toronto | Just to confirm the accuracy of this character assessment,

Erland Sommarskog

Apr 4, 2018, 2:47:12 PM4/4/18
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> What is the ALPHABETICALLY LAST:
>
> * Geography
>
> 1. Independent country now existing?

Zimbabwe

> 2. State of the US?

Wyoming

> * History
>
> 5. Person to have been Secretary-General of the UN?

Kurt Waldheim

> 6. Person to have been President of the US?

Woodrow Wilson

> * Science
>
> 7. Chemical element?

Zirconuium

> * Sports
>
> 9. Team to have played in the Premier League of British soccer?

Wolverhampton

> 10. City to have hosted the Olympics?

Vancouver

> * Current Events (give or take a couple of years, if applicable)
>
> 13. Person fired from the US cabinet by Donald Trump?

Rex Tillerson

Joe

Apr 4, 2018, 3:24:29 PM4/4/18
On 2018-04-04 18:08:47 +0000, Mark Brader said:

> This is Rotating Quiz #287, titled "And Coming Last".
>

> What is the ALPHABETICALLY LAST:
>
> * Geography
>
> 1. Independent country now existing?

Zimbabwe

> 2. State of the US?

Wyoming

> * Entertainment
>
> 3. Movie to have won the Oscar for Best Picture?

Titanic

> 4. Person to have won an Oscar for acting?

Welles

> * History
>
> 5. Person to have been Secretary-General of the UN?

U Thant

> 6. Person to have been President of the US?

Wilson

> * Science
>
> 7. Chemical element?

Zirconium

> 8. Bone in the human body?

Ulna

> * Sports
>
> 9. Team to have played in the Premier League of British soccer?

Wolverhampton Wanderers

> 10. City to have hosted the Olympics?

Sydney

> * Literature
>
> 11. Member of J.R.R. Tolkien's "Fellowship of the Ring"?

Thorin

> 12. Tom Clancy novel featuring Jack Ryan (the original character,
> not his son Jack Jr.)?
>
> * Current Events (give or take a couple of years, if applicable)
>
> 13. Person fired from the US cabinet by Donald Trump?

Tillerson

--
“To err, as they say, is human. To forgive is divine. To err by
withholding your forgiveness until it’s too late is to become divinely

Dan Blum

Apr 4, 2018, 4:42:05 PM4/4/18
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Geography

> 1. Independent country now existing?

Zimbabwe

> 2. State of the US?

Wyoming

> * Entertainment

> 3. Movie to have won the Oscar for Best Picture?

Wings

> 4. Person to have won an Oscar for acting?

Catherine Zeta-Jones

> * History

> 5. Person to have been Secretary-General of the UN?

Kurt Waldheim

> 6. Person to have been President of the US?

Woodrow Wilson

> * Science

> 7. Chemical element?

zinc

> 8. Bone in the human body?

ulna

> * Sports

> 9. Team to have played in the Premier League of British soccer?

York

> 10. City to have hosted the Olympics?

Vancouver

> * Literature

> 11. Member of J.R.R. Tolkien's "Fellowship of the Ring"?

Took

> 12. Tom Clancy novel featuring Jack Ryan (the original character,
> not his son Jack Jr.)?

Patriot Games

> * Current Events (give or take a couple of years, if applicable)

> 13. Person fired from the US cabinet by Donald Trump?

Rex Tillerson

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Marc Dashevsky

Apr 4, 2018, 6:32:37 PM4/4/18
In article <cNOdndJAK6MyiVjH...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> What is the ALPHABETICALLY LAST:
>
> * Geography
>
> 1. Independent country now existing?
Zimbabwe

> 2. State of the US?
Wyoming

> * Entertainment
>
> 3. Movie to have won the Oscar for Best Picture?
> 4. Person to have won an Oscar for acting?
>
> * History
>
> 5. Person to have been Secretary-General of the UN?
U Thant

> 6. Person to have been President of the US?
Wilson

> * Science
>
> 7. Chemical element?
zinc

> 8. Bone in the human body?
vertebra

> * Sports
>
> 9. Team to have played in the Premier League of British soccer?
> 10. City to have hosted the Olympics?
>
> * Literature
>
> 11. Member of J.R.R. Tolkien's "Fellowship of the Ring"?
Strider

Peter Smyth

Apr 5, 2018, 7:33:49 AM4/5/18
Mark Brader wrote:

> This is Rotating Quiz #287, titled "And Coming Last".
>
> I'd like to thank Marc Dashevsky for running RQ #286 and for
> picking a topic that was a boyhood interest of mine. As usual,
> the first choice to set RQ #288 will be the winner of this one.
>
> This time there are 14 questions, 2 each on 7 topics, and they all
> count equally. If any of the answers change during the contest
> period, you may give either the new answer or the one that was
> current when the questions were posted. See the detailed rules
> below the questions.
>
> In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be who scored on the
> hardest questions, the second tiebreaker will be correct spelling
> and capitalization, and and the third tiebreaker will be who
> posted first.
>
> As usual, please answer only from your own knowledge and -- except
> in case of technical difficulties -- post all your answers to
> the newsgroup in a single posting, quoting the questions you are
> answering and placing your answers below each one.
>
> You have until Monday, April 9, 2018, to enter, by Toronto time
> (zone -5); that gives you 5 days and about almost hours from the
> time of posting.
>

> What is the ALPHABETICALLY LAST:
>
> * Geography
>
> 1. Independent country now existing?
Zimbabwe
> 2. State of the US?
Wyoming
> * Entertainment
>
> 3. Movie to have won the Oscar for Best Picture?
Titanic
> 4. Person to have won an Oscar for acting?
Young

> * History
>
> 5. Person to have been Secretary-General of the UN?
Waldheim
> 6. Person to have been President of the US?
Wilson
> * Science
>
> 7. Chemical element?
Zirconium
> 8. Bone in the human body?
Tibia
> * Sports
>
> 9. Team to have played in the Premier League of British soccer?
Wolverhampton Wanderers
> 10. City to have hosted the Olympics?
Tokyo
> * Literature
>
> 11. Member of J.R.R. Tolkien's "Fellowship of the Ring"?
Took
> 12. Tom Clancy novel featuring Jack Ryan (the original character,
> not his son Jack Jr.)?
>
> * Current Events (give or take a couple of years, if applicable)
>
> 13. Person fired from the US cabinet by Donald Trump?
Tillerson
> 14. Person fired from the UK cabinet by Theresa May?
Villiers
> * Canadiana
Trudeau?

Peter Smyth

Dan Tilque

Apr 5, 2018, 11:23:25 AM4/5/18
Mark Brader wrote:
> This is Rotating Quiz #287, titled "And Coming Last".
>
> I'd like to thank Marc Dashevsky for running RQ #286 and for
> picking a topic that was a boyhood interest of mine. As usual,
> the first choice to set RQ #288 will be the winner of this one.
>
> This time there are 14 questions, 2 each on 7 topics, and they all
> count equally. If any of the answers change during the contest
> period, you may give either the new answer or the one that was
> current when the questions were posted. See the detailed rules
> below the questions.
>
> In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be who scored on the
> hardest questions, the second tiebreaker will be correct spelling
> and capitalization, and and the third tiebreaker will be who
> posted first.
>
> As usual, please answer only from your own knowledge and -- except
> in case of technical difficulties -- post all your answers to
> the newsgroup in a single posting, quoting the questions you are
> answering and placing your answers below each one.
>
> You have until Monday, April 9, 2018, to enter, by Toronto time
> (zone -5); that gives you 5 days and about almost hours from the
> time of posting.
>

> What is the ALPHABETICALLY LAST:
>
> * Geography
>
> 1. Independent country now existing?

Zimbabwe

> 2. State of the US?

Wyoming

> * Entertainment
>
> 3. Movie to have won the Oscar for Best Picture?
> 4. Person to have won an Oscar for acting?
>
> * History
>
> 5. Person to have been Secretary-General of the UN?

U Thant

> 6. Person to have been President of the US?

Wilson

> * Science
>
> 7. Chemical element?

zirconium

> 8. Bone in the human body?

vertebra

> * Sports
>
> 9. Team to have played in the Premier League of British soccer?
> 10. City to have hosted the Olympics?

Vancouver

> * Literature
>
> 11. Member of J.R.R. Tolkien's "Fellowship of the Ring"?

Took
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Apr 5, 2018, 3:46:44 PM4/5/18
Mark Brader:
> > * Canadiana

Peter Smyth:
> Trudeau?

Actually there have been two PMs who came alphabetically after the
Trudeaus. One in the 19th century, one in the 20th. In both cases
they took power after the party's previous leader resigned and then
the party lost power in the general election later the same year.
--
Mark Brader "Computers get paid to extract relevant
Toronto information from files; people should not

Mark Brader

Apr 6, 2018, 7:53:12 PM4/6/18
Mark Brader:
> > > * Canadiana

Peter Smyth:
> > Trudeau?

Mark Brader:
> Actually there have been two PMs who came alphabetically after the
> Trudeaus. One in the 19th century, one in the 20th. In both cases
> they took power after the party's previous leader resigned and then
> the party lost power in the general election later the same year.

Tupper, Turner.
--
Mark Brader | In order that there may be no doubt as to which is the
Toronto | bottom and which is the top ... the bottom of each

Jason Kreitzer

Apr 8, 2018, 1:52:16 AM4/8/18
On Wednesday, April 4, 2018 at 2:08:52 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> This is Rotating Quiz #287, titled "And Coming Last".
>
> I'd like to thank Marc Dashevsky for running RQ #286 and for
> picking a topic that was a boyhood interest of mine. As usual,
> the first choice to set RQ #288 will be the winner of this one.
>
> This time there are 14 questions, 2 each on 7 topics, and they all
> count equally. If any of the answers change during the contest
> period, you may give either the new answer or the one that was
> current when the questions were posted. See the detailed rules
> below the questions.
>
> In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be who scored on the
> hardest questions, the second tiebreaker will be correct spelling
> and capitalization, and and the third tiebreaker will be who
> posted first.
>
> As usual, please answer only from your own knowledge and -- except
> in case of technical difficulties -- post all your answers to
> the newsgroup in a single posting, quoting the questions you are
> answering and placing your answers below each one.
>
> You have until Monday, April 9, 2018, to enter, by Toronto time
> (zone -5); that gives you 5 days and about almost hours from the
> time of posting.
>

> What is the ALPHABETICALLY LAST:
>
> * Geography
>
> 1. Independent country now existing?
Zimbabwe
> 2. State of the US?
Wyoming

> * Entertainment
>
> 3. Movie to have won the Oscar for Best Picture
> 4. Person to have won an Oscar for acting?
>
> * History
>
> 5. Person to have been Secretary-General of the UN?
> 6. Person to have been President of the US?
George Washington

Mark Brader

Apr 10, 2018, 2:53:59 AM4/10/18
Mark Brader:
> This is Rotating Quiz #287, titled "And Coming Last".

> In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be who scored on the
> hardest questions, the second tiebreaker will be correct spelling
> and capitalization, and and the third tiebreaker will be who
> posted first.

In fact there was a 3-way tie, as 3 entrants each scored 8 points
out of a maximum 14. And thanks to the lovely and talented Catherine
Zeta-Jones, who won the Best Supporting Actress award for "Chicago"
(2002), your winner on the first tiebreaker is DAN BLUM. Hearty
congratulations, Dan!

Unfortunately, I learn that, due to travel, Dan is unable to moderate
RQ 288 unless we wait until late April. It is therefore necessary
to know who finished second. And, after resolving a judgement issue
as explained below, it turns out that we need to use the *third*
tiebreaker to see that Erland Sommarskog finished second ahead of
Peter Smyth.

Erland, are you available?

> You have until Monday, April 9, 2018, to enter, by Toronto time
> (zone -5); that gives you 5 days and about almost hours from the
> time of posting.

My apologies for the stupid error; of course Toronto time currently
is zone -4. Nobody entered between midnight and midnight EST anyway,
so it didn't matter for contest purposes.

> What is the ALPHABETICALLY LAST:

> * Geography

> 1. Independent country now existing?

Zimbabwe. 1 for everyone -- Erland, John, Dan Blum, Marc, Peter,
Dan Tilque, and Jason.

> 2. State of the US?

Wyoming. 1 for everyone.

> * Entertainment

> 3. Movie to have won the Oscar for Best Picture?

"You Can't Take It with You" (1938).

> 4. Person to have won an Oscar for acting?

Catherine Zeta-Jones, Best Supporting Actress for "Chicago" (2002).
1 for Dan Blum.

> * History

> 5. Person to have been Secretary-General of the UN?

Kurt Waldheim (1972-81). 1 for Erland, Dan Blum, and Peter.

> 6. Person to have been President of the US?

Woodrow Wilson (1913-21). 1 for Erland, John, Dan Blum, Marc,
Peter, and Dan Tilque.

> * Science

> 7. Chemical element?

Zirconium. 1 for Erland, John, Peter, and Dan Tilque.

> 8. Bone in the human body?

Zygomatic bone (there are two, left and right).

> * Sports

> 9. Team to have played in the Premier League of British soccer?

Wolverhampton Wanderers (4 seasons between 2003 and 2012). Here's
where the judgement call comes in. I wrote in the detailed rules:

You must alphabetize on the following basis...
* For sports teams, use the usual name whether one or multiple words,
e.g. "Germany" or "Detroit Red Wings".

Well, Erland's answer was just "Wolverhampton". But what I said
was that you had to *alphabetize* on the full usual name, not
that you had to *give it as your answer*. There has only been one
Wolverhampton team in the major British soccer leagues during the
era of the Premier League; and therefore I judge that "Wolverhampton"
is a correct answer. So, finally, 1 for Erland, John, and Peter.

> 10. City to have hosted the Olympics?

Vancouver (2010). 1 for Erland, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> * Literature

> 11. Member of J.R.R. Tolkien's "Fellowship of the Ring"?

Peregrin (or "Pippin") Took. The surname was required. 1 for
Dan Blum, Peter, and Dan Tilque.

> 12. Tom Clancy novel featuring Jack Ryan (the original character,
> not his son Jack Jr.)?

"The Sum of All Fears".

> * Current Events (give or take a couple of years, if applicable)

> 13. Person fired from the US cabinet by Donald Trump?

Rex Tillerson (secretary of state; fired March 2018). 1 for Erland,
John, Dan Blum, and Peter.

> 14. Person fired from the UK cabinet by Theresa May?

John Whittingdale (culture, media, and sport; fired July 2016).

> * Canadiana

> Just kidding, we're done.

Scores, if there are no errors:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 TOTALS

Dan Blum 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 8
Erland Sommarskog 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 8
Peter Smyth 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 8
John Masters 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 6
Dan Tilque 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 6
Marc Dashevsky 1 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 3
Jason Kreitzer 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2

So it's over to Erland for RQ 288.
--
Mark Brader | The last 10% of the performance sought contributes
Toronto | one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems.

Mark Brader

Apr 10, 2018, 2:59:17 AM4/10/18
Er, that is, for the results see the previous posting, where I forgot
to change the subject line. Dan Blum wins on the first tiebreaker;
Erland Sommarskog comes second on the third tiebreakers and will
set RQ 288.
--
Mark Brader "Clearly, neither Mark Brader nor
Toronto Steve Summit read the whole book..."

Erland Sommarskog

Apr 10, 2018, 3:08:08 AM4/10/18
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> Erland, are you available?

Indeed I am!

I have an interesting idea for my next RQ that I now will need to finalise.
Should be up tonight, or possibly tomorrow night.

As for the answer on Wolverhampton, I would suggest that Premier League
teams (like most other teams in European leagues) are primarily known by
their place, and often what comes after the name is something generic like
FC etc. Only when there are two teams in the same city (and that both takes
their name from the city) you use the qualifier. At least I was not aware of
the Wanderers moniker. Then again, I don't follow Premier League that
closely.

Mark Brader

Apr 15, 2018, 6:33:33 PM4/15/18
This is Rotating Quiz #289.

I'd like to thank Erland Sommarskog for running RQ #288, which
I'm still amazed that I was able to win. As usual, the first
choice to set RQ #290 will be the winner of this one.

289 is 17 squared, but I decided not to come up with 17 questions
for this one. There are 14 questions and they all count equally.

There is a hidden theme, which matters for some answers because they
may be given in different forms but only one will fit the theme.

In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be who scored on the
hardest questions, the second tiebreaker (not that I expect it to
help) will be choosing answer forms that fit the theme, and the
third tiebreaker will be who posted first.

As usual, please answer only from your own knowledge and -- except
in case of technical difficulties -- post all your answers to
the newsgroup in a single posting, quoting the questions you are
answering and placing your answers below each one.

You have until Friday, April 20, 2018, to enter, by Toronto time
(zone -4, I repeat, -4); that gives you 5 days and almost 5.5 hours
from the time of posting. Have fun.

1. What form of liquor is (or, if applicable, traditionally was)
flavored with juniper berries?

2. What song opens with the lyrics: "I think I'm gonna be sad,
I think it's today, yeah"?

3. John Horton Conway invented a cellular automaton based on a
square two-dimensional grid and an arbitrary initial
configuration where some cells are "populated". A cell where
exactly 3 of its 8 neighbors are populated becomes populated;
one with exactly 2 populated neighbors does not change; any
other cell becomes unpopulated; this all happens simultaneously
for all cells; repeat ad infinitum. What did he call this?

4. What German princely house played an important role in the
development of postal services in central Europe?

5. In the insurance business, premiums are set based on an expert
assessment of what one-word term?

6. The historic region of Mesopotamia was named after its position
between which two rivers?

7. If you live in an old and inadequately weatherproofed house in
England, you are likely to feel what around the windows, doors,
and fireplaces?

8. What hilltop town in France was made a UNESCO World Heritage
Site because of the preservation and restoration of its medieval
defenses, particularly by the early conservator Viollet-le-Duc?

9. A simple electronic circuit named after Sir Charles Wheatstone
was developed as an accurate way to measure resistance. It is
called a Wheatstone *what*?

10. In 1867, the British North America Act (later called the
"Constitution Act, 1867") federated the colonies or "provinces"
of Canada, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia to form a larger
Canada, which it specified would be what type of entity?

11. In the original Parker Brothers edition of "Monopoly", you
collect $200 when passing what square?

12. What Caribbean island was victimised first by Hurricane Maria,
and then by Donald Trump?

13. What famous play's secondary characters include Brabantio,
Gratiano, Lodovico, Michael Cassio, and Roderigo? (The spelling
of some of their names varies between editions; don't worry
about that.)

14. What is the generic name of the small arthropods that have
one pair of legs for each of a large number of body segments?

--
Mark Brader "We can get ideas even from a clever man." ...
Toronto "Yes, I think you can. Even ideas you should

Mark Brader

Apr 15, 2018, 6:34:59 PM4/15/18
Dang, I forgot to start a new thread. Here's a repeat. Post
in either thread to answer, but preferably this one.

swp

Apr 15, 2018, 10:44:50 PM4/15/18
On Sunday, April 15, 2018 at 6:34:59 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> Dang, I forgot to start a new thread. Here's a repeat. Post
> in either thread to answer, but preferably this one.
>
> This is Rotating Quiz #289.

all of the answers are names of games. very clever.

swp

Joe

Apr 16, 2018, 5:55:50 AM4/16/18
On 2018-04-15 22:34:54 +0000, Mark Brader said:

> Dang, I forgot to start a new thread. Here's a repeat. Post
> in either thread to answer, but preferably this one.
>
> This is Rotating Quiz #289.
>

> 1. What form of liquor is (or, if applicable, traditionally was)
> flavored with juniper berries?

Gin

> 2. What song opens with the lyrics: "I think I'm gonna be sad,
> I think it's today, yeah"?

Ticket to Ride

> 3. John Horton Conway invented a cellular automaton based on a
> square two-dimensional grid and an arbitrary initial
> configuration where some cells are "populated". A cell where
> exactly 3 of its 8 neighbors are populated becomes populated;
> one with exactly 2 populated neighbors does not change; any
> other cell becomes unpopulated; this all happens simultaneously
> for all cells; repeat ad infinitum. What did he call this?

The Game of Life

> 4. What German princely house played an important role in the
> development of postal services in central Europe?

Brabant

> 5. In the insurance business, premiums are set based on an expert
> assessment of what one-word term?

Risk

> 6. The historic region of Mesopotamia was named after its position
> between which two rivers?
>
> 7. If you live in an old and inadequately weatherproofed house in
> England, you are likely to feel what around the windows, doors,
> and fireplaces?

Draughts

> 8. What hilltop town in France was made a UNESCO World Heritage
> Site because of the preservation and restoration of its medieval
> defenses, particularly by the early conservator Viollet-le-Duc?

Carcassonne

> 9. A simple electronic circuit named after Sir Charles Wheatstone
> was developed as an accurate way to measure resistance. It is
> called a Wheatstone *what*?

Bridge

> 10. In 1867, the British North America Act (later called the
> "Constitution Act, 1867") federated the colonies or "provinces"
> of Canada, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia to form a larger
> Canada, which it specified would be what type of entity?

Dominion

> 11. In the original Parker Brothers edition of "Monopoly", you
> collect $200 when passing what square?

Go

> 12. What Caribbean island was victimised first by Hurricane Maria,
> and then by Donald Trump?
>
> 13. What famous play's secondary characters include Brabantio,
> Gratiano, Lodovico, Michael Cassio, and Roderigo? (The spelling
> of some of their names varies between editions; don't worry
> about that.)

Othello

> 14. What is the generic name of the small arthropods that have
> one pair of legs for each of a large number of body segments?

Centipede

The theme is obviously Games. Just cannot recall the answers to 6 and 12.

Peter Smyth

Apr 16, 2018, 9:57:21 AM4/16/18
Mark Brader wrote:

> 1. What form of liquor is (or, if applicable, traditionally was)
> flavored with juniper berries?
Gin
> 2. What song opens with the lyrics: "I think I'm gonna be sad,
> I think it's today, yeah"?
>
> 3. John Horton Conway invented a cellular automaton based on a
> square two-dimensional grid and an arbitrary initial
> configuration where some cells are "populated". A cell where
> exactly 3 of its 8 neighbors are populated becomes populated;
> one with exactly 2 populated neighbors does not change; any
> other cell becomes unpopulated; this all happens simultaneously
> for all cells; repeat ad infinitum. What did he call this?
Game of Life
> 4. What German princely house played an important role in the
> development of postal services in central Europe?
>
> 5. In the insurance business, premiums are set based on an expert
> assessment of what one-word term?
Risk
> 6. The historic region of Mesopotamia was named after its position
> between which two rivers?
Tigris and Euphrates
> 7. If you live in an old and inadequately weatherproofed house in
> England, you are likely to feel what around the windows, doors,
> and fireplaces?
Draughts
> 8. What hilltop town in France was made a UNESCO World Heritage
> Site because of the preservation and restoration of its medieval
> defenses, particularly by the early conservator Viollet-le-Duc?
>
> 9. A simple electronic circuit named after Sir Charles Wheatstone
> was developed as an accurate way to measure resistance. It is
> called a Wheatstone what?
>
> 10. In 1867, the British North America Act (later called the
> "Constitution Act, 1867") federated the colonies or "provinces"
> of Canada, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia to form a larger
> Canada, which it specified would be what type of entity?
Dominion
> 11. In the original Parker Brothers edition of "Monopoly", you
> collect $200 when passing what square?
Go
> 12. What Caribbean island was victimised first by Hurricane Maria,
> and then by Donald Trump?
>
> 13. What famous play's secondary characters include Brabantio,
> Gratiano, Lodovico, Michael Cassio, and Roderigo? (The spelling
> of some of their names varies between editions; don't worry
> about that.)
>
> 14. What is the generic name of the small arthropods that have
> one pair of legs for each of a large number of body segments?
Centipede

Peter Smyth

Marc Dashevsky

Apr 16, 2018, 2:45:15 PM4/16/18
In article <toidnYrfC4gTTk7H...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...

> Dang, I forgot to start a new thread. Here's a repeat. Post
> in either thread to answer, but preferably this one.
>
> This is Rotating Quiz #289.
>
> I'd like to thank Erland Sommarskog for running RQ #288, which
> I'm still amazed that I was able to win. As usual, the first
> choice to set RQ #290 will be the winner of this one.
>
> 289 is 17 squared, but I decided not to come up with 17 questions
> for this one. There are 14 questions and they all count equally.
>
> There is a hidden theme, which matters for some answers because they
> may be given in different forms but only one will fit the theme.
>
> In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be who scored on the
> hardest questions, the second tiebreaker (not that I expect it to
> help) will be choosing answer forms that fit the theme, and the
> third tiebreaker will be who posted first.
>
> As usual, please answer only from your own knowledge and -- except
> in case of technical difficulties -- post all your answers to
> the newsgroup in a single posting, quoting the questions you are
> answering and placing your answers below each one.
>
> You have until Friday, April 20, 2018, to enter, by Toronto time
> (zone -4, I repeat, -4); that gives you 5 days and almost 5.5 hours
> from the time of posting. Have fun.
>

> 1. What form of liquor is (or, if applicable, traditionally was)
> flavored with juniper berries?
gin

> 2. What song opens with the lyrics: "I think I'm gonna be sad,
> I think it's today, yeah"?
Ticket To Ride

> 3. John Horton Conway invented a cellular automaton based on a
> square two-dimensional grid and an arbitrary initial
> configuration where some cells are "populated". A cell where
> exactly 3 of its 8 neighbors are populated becomes populated;
> one with exactly 2 populated neighbors does not change; any
> other cell becomes unpopulated; this all happens simultaneously
> for all cells; repeat ad infinitum. What did he call this?
>
> 4. What German princely house played an important role in the
> development of postal services in central Europe?
>
> 5. In the insurance business, premiums are set based on an expert
> assessment of what one-word term?
risk

> 6. The historic region of Mesopotamia was named after its position
> between which two rivers?
Tigris and Euphrates

> 7. If you live in an old and inadequately weatherproofed house in
> England, you are likely to feel what around the windows, doors,
> and fireplaces?
>
> 8. What hilltop town in France was made a UNESCO World Heritage
> Site because of the preservation and restoration of its medieval
> defenses, particularly by the early conservator Viollet-le-Duc?
>
> 9. A simple electronic circuit named after Sir Charles Wheatstone
> was developed as an accurate way to measure resistance. It is
> called a Wheatstone *what*?
bridge

> 10. In 1867, the British North America Act (later called the
> "Constitution Act, 1867") federated the colonies or "provinces"
> of Canada, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia to form a larger
> Canada, which it specified would be what type of entity?
>
> 11. In the original Parker Brothers edition of "Monopoly", you
> collect $200 when passing what square?
Go

> 12. What Caribbean island was victimised first by Hurricane Maria,
> and then by Donald Trump?
Puerto Rico

> 13. What famous play's secondary characters include Brabantio,
> Gratiano, Lodovico, Michael Cassio, and Roderigo? (The spelling
> of some of their names varies between editions; don't worry
> about that.)
>
> 14. What is the generic name of the small arthropods that have
> one pair of legs for each of a large number of body segments?
centipede

Erland Sommarskog

Apr 16, 2018, 4:46:28 PM4/16/18
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 1. What form of liquor is (or, if applicable, traditionally was)
> flavored with juniper berries?

Gin

> 2. What song opens with the lyrics: "I think I'm gonna be sad,
> I think it's today, yeah"?

Ticket to Ride

> 3. John Horton Conway invented a cellular automaton based on a
> square two-dimensional grid and an arbitrary initial
> configuration where some cells are "populated". A cell where
> exactly 3 of its 8 neighbors are populated becomes populated;
> one with exactly 2 populated neighbors does not change; any
> other cell becomes unpopulated; this all happens simultaneously
> for all cells; repeat ad infinitum. What did he call this?

Life

> 6. The historic region of Mesopotamia was named after its position
> between which two rivers?

Eufrat and Tigris

> 7. If you live in an old and inadequately weatherproofed house in
> England, you are likely to feel what around the windows, doors,
> and fireplaces?

Cold wind blowing

> 8. What hilltop town in France was made a UNESCO World Heritage
> Site because of the preservation and restoration of its medieval
> defenses, particularly by the early conservator Viollet-le-Duc?

Carcasonne

> 12. What Caribbean island was victimised first by Hurricane Maria,
> and then by Donald Trump?

Puerto Rico

> 13. What famous play's secondary characters include Brabantio,
> Gratiano, Lodovico, Michael Cassio, and Roderigo? (The spelling
> of some of their names varies between editions; don't worry
> about that.)

Don Quijote

Dan Tilque

Apr 17, 2018, 3:12:41 PM4/17/18
Ticket to Ride

> 3. John Horton Conway invented a cellular automaton based on a
> square two-dimensional grid and an arbitrary initial
> configuration where some cells are "populated". A cell where
> exactly 3 of its 8 neighbors are populated becomes populated;
> one with exactly 2 populated neighbors does not change; any
> other cell becomes unpopulated; this all happens simultaneously
> for all cells; repeat ad infinitum. What did he call this?

Game of Life

> 4. What German princely house played an important role in the
> development of postal services in central Europe?
>
> 5. In the insurance business, premiums are set based on an expert
> assessment of what one-word term?
>
> 6. The historic region of Mesopotamia was named after its position
> between which two rivers?

Tigris and Euphrates

> 7. If you live in an old and inadequately weatherproofed house in
> England, you are likely to feel what around the windows, doors,
> and fireplaces?

draught

(draft in the US)

> 8. What hilltop town in France was made a UNESCO World Heritage
> Site because of the preservation and restoration of its medieval
> defenses, particularly by the early conservator Viollet-le-Duc?

Arles ??

> 9. A simple electronic circuit named after Sir Charles Wheatstone
> was developed as an accurate way to measure resistance. It is
> called a Wheatstone *what*?

bridge

> 10. In 1867, the British North America Act (later called the
> "Constitution Act, 1867") federated the colonies or "provinces"
> of Canada, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia to form a larger
> Canada, which it specified would be what type of entity?

dominion

> 11. In the original Parker Brothers edition of "Monopoly", you
> collect $200 when passing what square?

Go

> 12. What Caribbean island was victimised first by Hurricane Maria,
> and then by Donald Trump?

Puerto Rico

> 13. What famous play's secondary characters include Brabantio,
> Gratiano, Lodovico, Michael Cassio, and Roderigo? (The spelling
> of some of their names varies between editions; don't worry
> about that.)

Romeo and Juliette

> 14. What is the generic name of the small arthropods that have
> one pair of legs for each of a large number of body segments?

centipede

--
Dan Tilque

Calvin

Apr 18, 2018, 12:37:15 AM4/18/18
On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 8:33:33 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> This is Rotating Quiz #289.

> 1. What form of liquor is (or, if applicable, traditionally was)
> flavored with juniper berries?

Gin

> 2. What song opens with the lyrics: "I think I'm gonna be sad,
> I think it's today, yeah"?
>
> 3. John Horton Conway invented a cellular automaton based on a
> square two-dimensional grid and an arbitrary initial
> configuration where some cells are "populated". A cell where
> exactly 3 of its 8 neighbors are populated becomes populated;
> one with exactly 2 populated neighbors does not change; any
> other cell becomes unpopulated; this all happens simultaneously
> for all cells; repeat ad infinitum. What did he call this?
>
> 4. What German princely house played an important role in the
> development of postal services in central Europe?
>
> 5. In the insurance business, premiums are set based on an expert
> assessment of what one-word term?

Actuary

> 6. The historic region of Mesopotamia was named after its position
> between which two rivers?

Tigris and Euphrates

> 7. If you live in an old and inadequately weatherproofed house in
> England, you are likely to feel what around the windows, doors,
> and fireplaces?

Draft

> 8. What hilltop town in France was made a UNESCO World Heritage
> Site because of the preservation and restoration of its medieval
> defenses, particularly by the early conservator Viollet-le-Duc?
>
> 9. A simple electronic circuit named after Sir Charles Wheatstone
> was developed as an accurate way to measure resistance. It is
> called a Wheatstone *what*?
>
> 10. In 1867, the British North America Act (later called the
> "Constitution Act, 1867") federated the colonies or "provinces"
> of Canada, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia to form a larger
> Canada, which it specified would be what type of entity?

Commonwealth

> 11. In the original Parker Brothers edition of "Monopoly", you
> collect $200 when passing what square?

Go

> 12. What Caribbean island was victimised first by Hurricane Maria,
> and then by Donald Trump?

Hispaniola

> 13. What famous play's secondary characters include Brabantio,
> Gratiano, Lodovico, Michael Cassio, and Roderigo? (The spelling
> of some of their names varies between editions; don't worry
> about that.)
>
> 14. What is the generic name of the small arthropods that have
> one pair of legs for each of a large number of body segments?

Centipede

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Apr 21, 2018, 12:52:32 AM4/21/18
Mark Brader:
> This is Rotating Quiz #289.

> There is a hidden theme, which matters for some answers because they
> may be given in different forms but only one will fit the theme.

See below the last question.

No tiebreakers were needed: the winner is JOHN MASTERS with a score
of 11 out of 14. Hearty congratulations! And I hope to see RQ 290
from you soon.

> 1. What form of liquor is (or, if applicable, traditionally was)
> flavored with juniper berries?

Gin. 1 for John, Peter, Marc, Erland, and Calvin.

> 2. What song opens with the lyrics: "I think I'm gonna be sad,
> I think it's today, yeah"?

"Ticket to Ride". 1 for John, Marc, Erland, and Dan.

> 3. John Horton Conway invented a cellular automaton based on a
> square two-dimensional grid and an arbitrary initial configuration
> where some cells are "populated". A cell where exactly 3 of its
> 8 neighbors are populated becomes populated; one with exactly
> 2 populated neighbors does not change; any other cell becomes
> unpopulated; this all happens simultaneously for all cells; repeat
> ad infinitum. What did he call this?

The Game of Life. 1 for John, Peter, Erland, and Dan.

> 4. What German princely house played an important role in the
> development of postal services in central Europe?

Thurn und Taxis.

> 5. In the insurance business, premiums are set based on an expert
> assessment of what one-word term?

Risk. 1 for John, Peter, and Marc.

> 6. The historic region of Mesopotamia was named after its position
> between which two rivers?

Tigris and Euphrates. 1 for Peter, Marc, Erland, Dan, and Calvin.

> 7. If you live in an old and inadequately weatherproofed house in
> England, you are likely to feel what around the windows, doors,
> and fireplaces?

Draughts. 1 for John, Peter, Erland, Dan, and Calvin.

> 8. What hilltop town in France was made a UNESCO World Heritage
> Site because of the preservation and restoration of its medieval
> defenses, particularly by the early conservator Viollet-le-Duc?

Carcassonne. 1 for John and Erland.

> 9. A simple electronic circuit named after Sir Charles Wheatstone was
> developed as an accurate way to measure resistance. It is called
> a Wheatstone *what*?

Bridge. 1 for John, Marc, and Dan.

> 10. In 1867, the British North America Act (later called the
> "Constitution Act, 1867") federated the colonies or "provinces"
> of Canada, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia to form a larger Canada,
> which it specified would be what type of entity?

Dominion. 1 for John, Peter, and Dan.

> 11. In the original Parker Brothers edition of "Monopoly", you collect
> $200 when passing what square?

Go. 1 for John, Peter, Marc, Dan, and Calvin.

> 12. What Caribbean island was victimised first by Hurricane Maria,
> and then by Donald Trump?

Puerto Rico. 1 for Marc, Erland, and Dan.

> 13. What famous play's secondary characters include Brabantio,
> Gratiano, Lodovico, Michael Cassio, and Roderigo? (The spelling
> of some of their names varies between editions; don't worry
> about that.)

Othello. 1 for John.

> 14. What is the generic name of the small arthropods that have one
> pair of legs for each of a large number of body segments?

Centipede. 1 for John, Peter, Marc, Dan, and Calvin.

The hidden theme -- and it's one that I thought before hearing of
the current movie "Game Night" -- was that all answers are also names
of games. Bridge and gin are card games (gin is short for gin rummy)
played with standard cards; Dominion is a deck-building card game;
Carcassonne is a tile-placing game; Centipede is an arcade video game;
draughts (here known as checkers) and go are classic board games; and
all of the other seven are commercial board games (Othello being
essentially the classic game reversi).

I particularly recommend Dominion and Carcassonne, by the way.

Scores, if there are no errors:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 TOTALS

John Masters 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 11
Dan Tilque 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 9
Peter Smyth 1 0 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 8
Marc Dashevsky 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 8
Erland Sommarskog 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 7
"Calvin" 1 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 5
Stephen Perry 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

5 4 4 0 3 5 5 2 3 3 5 3 1 5

So it's over to John-Joe for RQ 290.
--
Mark Brader "To err is human, but to really mess things up
Toronto you need a timetable planner!"