RQFTCINO13 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: 5th, TO challenge

Mark Brader

Sep 19, 2022, 1:11:07 AM9/19/22
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-01-28,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Night Owls, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

** Game 1, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - Taking the Fifth

In this round, all of the answers will contain the word "fifth"
or "5th". What are the following?

1. A 1988 novel by Doris Lessing.
2. The 1997 science-fiction movie starring Bruce Willis.
3. The first book of Robertson Davies's "Deptford" trilogy.
4. A 2009 novel by "Sex and the City" author Candace Bushnell.

5. Someone in a situation where they are not really needed or are
ignored by other people.

6. This """recent""" "X Factor" runner-up has been referred to as
"the female version of One Direction".

7. A music group from the '60s that had hits such as "Aquarius"
("Let the Sunshine In") and "Wedding Bell Blues".

8. A term used to describe any class or group in society other
than the clergy, the nobility, the commoners, and the press.

9. A 1978 play by American playwright Lanford Wilson, focusing on
the disillusionment of Americans in the wake of the Vietnam War.

10. A group of secret sympathizers or supporters of an enemy that
engage in espionage or sabotage within defence lines or national
borders.

** Game 1, Round 10 - Canadiana Challenge Round - All About Toronto

* A. Toronto Scientific Discoveries

A1. This product, first marketed in 1931, was developed by
Dr. Drake, Dr. Tisdale, and Dr. Brown of the Hospital for
Sick Children in Toronto. What is the name of this product
that saved the lives of many infants?

A2. On the University of Toronto's main campus, the lab building
where Banting and Best did their insulin discovery
experiments in 1921 is no longer standing. What building
would you find """today""" at the same location?

* B. Toronto Sports

B1. In 1909 the first Grey Cup was played at what Toronto venue?

B2. As a tribute to James Naismith, the Canadian-born inventor
of basketball, the first game of the Basketball Association
of America -- forerunner of the NBA -- on November 1, 1946,
was played at Maple Leaf Gardens. What was the name of the
Toronto-based professional basketball team that played that
night, but folded after one season?

* C. Toronto's Lost Rivers

These questions refer to surface streams that once existed in
Toronto, but are now buried in sewers.

C1. This lost river started near Wychwood cottages, went
through Yorkville and down what is now known as Philosopher's
Walk behind the ROM on the U of T campus, crossed Yonge
Street near College Avenue, and emptied into Lake Ontario
near the distillery district. What is the name of this
buried stream?

C2. What stream used to empty into Lake Ontario immediately
east of Fort York, long ago when the fort was on the shore
of the lake?

* D. Toronto's Early History

D1. John Simcoe -- the founder of Toronto -- and his family,
while in Toronto, lived most of the time in a tent bought
from the estate of what famous British explorer?

D2. The oldest building still extant in Toronto is a cabin
originally owned by a government clerk and a close fried
of John Simcoe. What was the name of this early Torontonian?

* E. Toronto Theatrical Scoundrels

E1. What Toronto entrepreneur mysteriously disappeared on
1919-12-02, after selling his theater holdings in 7 Ontario
cities for $1,000,000? He did not take his wealth with
him, and no ransom note or body was ever found. Was foul
play involved? Quite likely, since this man had a line of
mistresses, was into illegal gambling (often fixing bets),
and held his employees in disdain. But you don't have to
tell us that. Just tell us the *name* of this scoundrel
whose disappearance was never solved.

E2. In 2009 Garth Drabinsky was convicted of forgery and fraud
for misrepresenting the finances of Livent between 1993
and 1998. Who was the co-founder of Livent who was convicted
along with Drabinsky?

* F. Toronto Entrepreneurs

F1. This Toronto entrepreneur started selling appliances from
a store on College Av. in 1949 at the age of 16. Initially
he marketed himself as "Mr. Laundry". Who was he?

F2. As suggested by a cousin, the parents of Ed Mirvish gave
him an American name -- Edwin -- as well as an official
Jewish first name. What was the official first name of
Ed Mirvish?

--
Mark Brader | "UNIX are quality sectional bookcases, made of solid oak.
Toronto | Open or glass-fronted, in three sizes and three finishes,
| -- Daily Mail Ideal Home Book, 1951-52

Joshua Kreitzer

Sep 19, 2022, 8:58:05 AM9/19/22
On Monday, September 19, 2022 at 12:11:07 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 1, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - Taking the Fifth
>
> In this round, all of the answers will contain the word "fifth"
> or "5th". What are the following?
>
> 2. The 1997 science-fiction movie starring Bruce Willis.

"The Fifth Element"

> 5. Someone in a situation where they are not really needed or are
> ignored by other people.

fifth wheel

> 6. This """recent""" "X Factor" runner-up has been referred to as
> "the female version of One Direction".

5th Harmony

> 7. A music group from the '60s that had hits such as "Aquarius"
> ("Let the Sunshine In") and "Wedding Bell Blues".

The Fifth Dimension

> 8. A term used to describe any class or group in society other
> than the clergy, the nobility, the commoners, and the press.

fifth estate

> 9. A 1978 play by American playwright Lanford Wilson, focusing on
> the disillusionment of Americans in the wake of the Vietnam War.

"5th of July"

> 10. A group of secret sympathizers or supporters of an enemy that
> engage in espionage or sabotage within defence lines or national
> borders.

fifth column

> ** Game 1, Round 10 - Canadiana Challenge Round - All About Toronto

No answers in this round.

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 19, 2022, 2:15:31 PM9/19/22
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 1, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - Taking the Fifth
>
> 2. The 1997 science-fiction movie starring Bruce Willis.

The Fifth Dimension

> 5. Someone in a situation where they are not really needed or are
> ignored by other people.

Fifth wheel

> 7. A music group from the '60s that had hits such as "Aquarius"
> ("Let the Sunshine In") and "Wedding Bell Blues".

Fifth Dimension

> 8. A term used to describe any class or group in society other
> than the clergy, the nobility, the commoners, and the press.

The fifth stratum

> 10. A group of secret sympathizers or supporters of an enemy that
> engage in espionage or sabotage within defence lines or national
> borders.

Fifth column

Pete Gayde

Sep 19, 2022, 7:21:06 PM9/19/22
Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-01-28,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Night Owls, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the correct
> answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2022-09-09
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 1, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - Taking the Fifth
>
> In this round, all of the answers will contain the word "fifth"
> or "5th". What are the following?
>
> 1. A 1988 novel by Doris Lessing.
> 2. The 1997 science-fiction movie starring Bruce Willis.
> 3. The first book of Robertson Davies's "Deptford" trilogy.
> 4. A 2009 novel by "Sex and the City" author Candace Bushnell.
>
> 5. Someone in a situation where they are not really needed or are
> ignored by other people.

Fifth wheel

> 6. This """recent""" "X Factor" runner-up has been referred to as
> "the female version of One Direction".
>
> 7. A music group from the '60s that had hits such as "Aquarius"
> ("Let the Sunshine In") and "Wedding Bell Blues".

Fifth Dimension

> 8. A term used to describe any class or group in society other
> than the clergy, the nobility, the commoners, and the press.

Fifth Estate

> 9. A 1978 play by American playwright Lanford Wilson, focusing on
> the disillusionment of Americans in the wake of the Vietnam War.
>
> 10. A group of secret sympathizers or supporters of an enemy that
> engage in espionage or sabotage within defence lines or national
> borders.

Fifth column
Maytag; Westinghouse

> F2. As suggested by a cousin, the parents of Ed Mirvish gave
> him an American name -- Edwin -- as well as an official
> Jewish first name. What was the official first name of
> Ed Mirvish?

Pete Gayde

Dan Tilque

Sep 20, 2022, 5:33:21 PM9/20/22
On 9/18/22 22:11, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 1, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - Taking the Fifth
>
> In this round, all of the answers will contain the word "fifth"
> or "5th". What are the following?
>
> 1. A 1988 novel by Doris Lessing.
> 2. The 1997 science-fiction movie starring Bruce Willis.
> 3. The first book of Robertson Davies's "Deptford" trilogy.
> 4. A 2009 novel by "Sex and the City" author Candace Bushnell.
>
> 5. Someone in a situation where they are not really needed or are
> ignored by other people.

fifth wheel

> 6. This """recent""" "X Factor" runner-up has been referred to as
> "the female version of One Direction".
>
> 7. A music group from the '60s that had hits such as "Aquarius"
> ("Let the Sunshine In") and "Wedding Bell Blues".

Fifth Dimension

> 8. A term used to describe any class or group in society other
> than the clergy, the nobility, the commoners, and the press.

fifth estate

> 9. A 1978 play by American playwright Lanford Wilson, focusing on
> the disillusionment of Americans in the wake of the Vietnam War.
>
> 10. A group of secret sympathizers or supporters of an enemy that
> engage in espionage or sabotage within defence lines or national
> borders.

fifth columnists
Dan Tilque

Dan Blum

Sep 20, 2022, 10:07:18 PM9/20/22
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 1, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - Taking the Fifth

> 2. The 1997 science-fiction movie starring Bruce Willis.

The Fifth Element

> 5. Someone in a situation where they are not really needed or are
> ignored by other people.

fifth wheel

> 7. A music group from the '60s that had hits such as "Aquarius"
> ("Let the Sunshine In") and "Wedding Bell Blues".

Fifth Dimension

> 8. A term used to describe any class or group in society other
> than the clergy, the nobility, the commoners, and the press.

fifth estate

> 10. A group of secret sympathizers or supporters of an enemy that
> engage in espionage or sabotage within defence lines or national
> borders.

fifth column

> * D. Toronto's Early History

> D1. John Simcoe -- the founder of Toronto -- and his family,
> while in Toronto, lived most of the time in a tent bought
> from the estate of what famous British explorer?

Cook

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Mark Brader

Sep 22, 2022, 7:05:32 AM9/22/22
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-01-28,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2022-09-09 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

Game 1 is over and JOSHUA KREITZER has won by a sizable margin.
Hearty congratulations, eh?

> ** Game 1, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - Taking the Fifth

> In this round, all of the answers will contain the word "fifth"
> or "5th". What are the following?

> 1. A 1988 novel by Doris Lessing.

"The Fifth Child".

> 2. The 1997 science-fiction movie starring Bruce Willis.

"The Fifth Element". 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 3. The first book of Robertson Davies's "Deptford" trilogy.

"Fifth Business".

> 4. A 2009 novel by "Sex and the City" author Candace Bushnell.

"One Fifth Avenue."

> 5. Someone who is in a situation where they are not really needed
> or are ignored by other people.

Fifth wheel. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Erland, Pete, Dan Tilque,
and Dan Blum.

> 6. This """recent""" "X Factor" runner-up has been referred to as
> "the female version of One Direction".

Fifth Harmony. 4 for Joshua.

> 7. A music group from the '60s that had hits such as "Aquarius"
> ("Let the Sunshine In") and "Wedding Bell Blues".

The 5th Dimension. 4 for everyone.

> 8. A term used to describe any class or group in society other
> than the clergy, the nobility, the commoners, and the press.

The fifth estate. 4 for Joshua, Pete, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

In the CBC-TV series of that title, it means investigative TV
journalism.

> 9. A 1978 play by American playwright Lanford Wilson, focusing on
> the disillusionment of Americans in the wake of the Vietnam War.

"Fifth of July". 4 for Joshua.

> 10. A group of secret sympathizers or supporters of an enemy that
> engage in espionage or sabotage within defence lines or national
> borders.

Fifth column. 4 for everyone.

> ** Game 1, Round 10 - Canadiana Challenge Round - All About Toronto

> * A. Toronto Scientific Discoveries

> A1. This product, first marketed in 1931, was developed by
> Dr. Drake, Dr. Tisdale, and Dr. Brown of the Hospital for
> Sick Children in Toronto. What is the name of this product
> that saved the lives of many infants?

Pablum.

It's a baby food. Malnutrition used to be a major cause of infant
morality in the early 20th century, even in developed countries.
(Typo from the original question sheet left in for fun.)

> A2. On the University of Toronto's main campus, the lab building
> where Banting and Best did their insulin discovery
> experiments in 1921 is no longer standing. What building
> would you find """today""" at the same location?

Medical Science Building. (Still true. Also accepting the Macleod
Auditorium, which is part of it.)

> * B. Toronto Sports

> B1. In 1909 the first Grey Cup was played at what Toronto venue?

Rosedale Field, a 4,000-seat stadium then located within Rosedale
Park. Anything with "Rosedale" was sufficient.

> B2. As a tribute to James Naismith, the Canadian-born inventor
> of basketball, the first game of the Basketball Association
> of America -- forerunner of the NBA -- on November 1, 1946,
> was played at Maple Leaf Gardens. What was the name of the
> Toronto-based professional basketball team that played that
> night, but folded after one season?

Toronto Huskies.

> * C. Toronto's Lost Rivers

> These questions refer to surface streams that once existed in
> Toronto, but are now buried in sewers.

> C1. This lost river started near Wychwood cottages, went
> through Yorkville and down what is now known as Philosopher's
> Walk behind the ROM on the U of T campus, crossed Yonge
> Street near College Avenue, and emptied into Lake Ontario
> near the distillery district. What is the name of this
> buried stream?

Taddle Creek.

This was easy if you knew about Taddle Creek Rd., a dead-end street
that extended into the southeast part of the campus, but I learned
when I posted the round in 2013 that the area's been pedestrianized
and the street, too, no longer exists.

> C2. What stream used to empty into Lake Ontario immediately
> east of Fort York, long ago when the fort was on the shore
> of the lake?

Garrison Creek.

It's not the fort that moved; it's the lakeshore.

> * D. Toronto's Early History

> D1. John Simcoe -- the founder of Toronto -- and his family,
> while in Toronto, lived most of the time in a tent bought
> from the estate of what famous British explorer?

James Cook. 4 for Dan Blum -- thus making the round count for
everybody.

> D2. The oldest building still extant in Toronto is a cabin
> originally owned by a government clerk and a close fried
> of John Simcoe. What was the name of this early Torontonian?

John Scadding.

> * E. Toronto Theatrical Scoundrels

> E1. What Toronto entrepreneur mysteriously disappeared on
> 1919-12-02, after selling his theater holdings in 7 Ontario
> cities for $1,000,000? He did not take his wealth with
> him, and no ransom note or body was ever found. Was foul
> play involved? Quite likely, since this man had a line of
> mistresses, was into illegal gambling (often fixing bets),
> and held his employees in disdain. But you don't have to
> tell us that. Just tell us the *name* of this scoundrel
> whose disappearance was never solved.

Ambrose Small.

> E2. In 2009 Garth Drabinsky was convicted of forgery and fraud
> for misrepresenting the finances of Livent between 1993
> and 1998. Who was the co-founder of Livent who was convicted
> along with Drabinsky?

Myron Gottlieb.

> * F. Toronto Entrepreneurs

> F1. This Toronto entrepreneur started selling appliances from
> a store on College Av. in 1949 at the age of 16. Initially
> he marketed himself as "Mr. Laundry". Who was he?

Mel Lastman.

He became mayor, first of North York and then of Toronto after the
"megacity" amalgamation, serving altogether from 1973 to 2003.

> F2. As suggested by a cousin, the parents of Ed Mirvish gave
> him an American name -- Edwin -- as well as an official
> Jewish first name. What was the official first name of
> Ed Mirvish?

Yehudi. Giggle points for "Honest".

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 1 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Sci Geo His Spo Lit Can Mis Can SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 16 34 32 28 36 28 28 0 186
Dan Tilque 16 36 16 20 20 0 16 0 124
Dan Blum 28 16 16 8 36 4 20 4 124
Pete Gayde 4 20 14 28 28 8 16 0 114
Erland Sommarskog 16 40 20 0 8 0 12 0 96

--
Mark Brader | The lawgiver, of all beings, most owes the law allegiance.
Toronto | He of all men should behave as though the law compelled him.