Google Skupine ne podpirajo več novih objav ali naročnin v storitvi Usenet. Zgodovinsko vsebino si je še vedno mogoče ogledati.

Rotating Quiz #239

15 ogledov
Preskoči na prvo neprebrano sporočilo

Dan Blum

neprebran,
9. nov. 2016, 10:20:389. 11. 16
do
This is Rotating Quiz #239. Entries must be posted by Tuesday,
November 15, 2016 at 10 PM (Eastern Standard Time).

Usual rules: no looking anything up, no discussion, etc. The winner
gets to create the next RQ.

Please post your answers to all questions in a single followup in the
newsgroup, quoting the questions and placing your answer below each
one. Only one answer is allowed per question.

This quiz has a theme, but the theme is not a factor in scoring. Each
answer is a person's name; the last name by itself is worth 2 points
and first and last name together are worth 3 points. All information
given must be correct for any points to be awarded.

This is a sequel to RQ #157, but knowing that will probably not
help. (If you can remember that quiz, then it might help, but I am
assuming you don't.) The question numbering is deliberate. Any other
apparent mistakes are probably not deliberate.

In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be whoever scored the most
points on the hardest questions (defined post-facto as the ones which
the fewest people got any points on). Second tiebreaker will be
posting order.

1. This Armenian-American businessman's first business was an airline
(Trans International), but he is much better known for his
entertainment-related investments. He owned the land on the Las Vegas
Strip that Caesars Palace was built on (and later sold the land to
them); later Las Vegas ventures included the International Hotel and
the MGM Grand, the latter of which he built after purchasing the MGM
movie studio. He also invested heavily in the auto industry and tried
to take over Chrysler in the mid-90s.

2. <answer 2> is probably the second best-known of Superman's female
supporting characters (not counting Supergirl as a supporting
character). Like everything in long-running comics her character has
changed over time but I am pretty sure she has always been a childhood
friend of Clark Kent and/or Superboy in Smallville. Sometimes she has
still been his friend as an adult.

3. The "<answer 3> effect" occurs when a psychologist or psychiatrist
mistakenly assumes a patient's descriptions of real but
hard-to-believe events are delusional. <answer 3> was known for
calling reporters and telling them about criminal things her husband
and associates were doing; since she was married to a prominent member
of Nixon's Cabinet, many of these things turned out to be true. In
particular her husband served 19 minths in prison.

4. This Greek-American academic founded MIT's Architecture Machine
Group and later co-founded MIT's Media Lab. He was director of the
Media Lab until 2000 and chairman until 2006. At that point he wanted
to concentrate on his One Laptop Per Child organization. He has
invested in many startups including Wired magazine, in which he was
the first investor.

5. William T. Adams was a 19th-century American writer, primarily of
boys' adventure books in series of four to six books. All of these
were published under pseudonyms, by far the most common of which was
<answer 5>. He also edited his own magazine, <answer 5>'s Magazine:
Our Boys and Girls, which was extremely popular.

6. Clara Ann Fowler was the best-selling female singer of the 1950s
and continued to have success for several decades after that, although
she shifted somewhat from traditional pop to country over the
years. Her signature song was "Tennessee Waltz." She is much better
known by her professional name, which is <answer 6>.

8. This English novelist was the author of 24 mysteries about
Inspector Wexford, plus many other non-series novels, primarily also
about crime. Some of the latter were published under the pseudonym
Barbara Vine.

9. This English actress was one of the best-known of the late 18th and
early 19th centuries. She primarily played in tragedies; her signature
role was Lady Macbeth. A portrait of her by Sir Joshua Reynolds is
featured in the movie All About Eve.

10. This Scottish civil engineer and architect's first major
appointment was as Surveyor of Public Works in Shropshire, but success
there led to his working on the Ellesmere and Shrewsbury Canals, which
in turn led to his being involved with all sorts of projects,
including consulting for the Swedish Gota Canal (there should be an
umlaut over the "o" [that's not really an umlaut, but you know what I
mean]). Later he was responsible for building and rebuilding many
roads, leading to his being nicknamed "Colossus of Roads" by Robert
Southey. He was the first president of he Institution of Civil
Engineers.

12. This American actor's first major role was in the movie
Swingers. In the 1990s he appeared in a variety of movies but in the
2000s became best-known for his roles in comedies, which include Old
School, Dodgeball, and The Wedding Crashers. He appeared on the second
season of True Detective on HBO.

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Marc Dashevsky

neprebran,
9. nov. 2016, 12:23:499. 11. 16
do
In article <nvves6$ii3$1...@reader2.panix.com>, to...@panix.com says...
> 1. This Armenian-American businessman's first business was an airline
> (Trans International), but he is much better known for his
> entertainment-related investments. He owned the land on the Las Vegas
> Strip that Caesars Palace was built on (and later sold the land to
> them); later Las Vegas ventures included the International Hotel and
> the MGM Grand, the latter of which he built after purchasing the MGM
> movie studio. He also invested heavily in the auto industry and tried
> to take over Chrysler in the mid-90s.
King Kong

> 2. <answer 2> is probably the second best-known of Superman's female
> supporting characters (not counting Supergirl as a supporting
> character). Like everything in long-running comics her character has
> changed over time but I am pretty sure she has always been a childhood
> friend of Clark Kent and/or Superboy in Smallville. Sometimes she has
> still been his friend as an adult.
Lana Lang

> 3. The "<answer 3> effect" occurs when a psychologist or psychiatrist
> mistakenly assumes a patient's descriptions of real but
> hard-to-believe events are delusional. <answer 3> was known for
> calling reporters and telling them about criminal things her husband
> and associates were doing; since she was married to a prominent member
> of Nixon's Cabinet, many of these things turned out to be true. In
> particular her husband served 19 minths in prison.
Martha Mitchell

> 4. This Greek-American academic founded MIT's Architecture Machine
> Group and later co-founded MIT's Media Lab. He was director of the
> Media Lab until 2000 and chairman until 2006. At that point he wanted
> to concentrate on his One Laptop Per Child organization. He has
> invested in many startups including Wired magazine, in which he was
> the first investor.
Nicholas Negroponte

> 5. William T. Adams was a 19th-century American writer, primarily of
> boys' adventure books in series of four to six books. All of these
> were published under pseudonyms, by far the most common of which was
> <answer 5>. He also edited his own magazine, <answer 5>'s Magazine:
> Our Boys and Girls, which was extremely popular.
Oliver Osborne

> 6. Clara Ann Fowler was the best-selling female singer of the 1950s
> and continued to have success for several decades after that, although
> she shifted somewhat from traditional pop to country over the
> years. Her signature song was "Tennessee Waltz." She is much better
> known by her professional name, which is <answer 6>.
Patti Page

> 8. This English novelist was the author of 24 mysteries about
> Inspector Wexford, plus many other non-series novels, primarily also
> about crime. Some of the latter were published under the pseudonym
> Barbara Vine.
Rutherford Rumstocking

> 9. This English actress was one of the best-known of the late 18th and
> early 19th centuries. She primarily played in tragedies; her signature
> role was Lady Macbeth. A portrait of her by Sir Joshua Reynolds is
> featured in the movie All About Eve.
Sarah Silverman

> 10. This Scottish civil engineer and architect's first major
> appointment was as Surveyor of Public Works in Shropshire, but success
> there led to his working on the Ellesmere and Shrewsbury Canals, which
> in turn led to his being involved with all sorts of projects,
> including consulting for the Swedish Gota Canal (there should be an
> umlaut over the "o" [that's not really an umlaut, but you know what I
> mean]). Later he was responsible for building and rebuilding many
> roads, leading to his being nicknamed "Colossus of Roads" by Robert
> Southey. He was the first president of he Institution of Civil
> Engineers.
Thomas Tank-Engine

> 12. This American actor's first major role was in the movie
> Swingers. In the 1990s he appeared in a variety of movies but in the
> 2000s became best-known for his roles in comedies, which include Old
> School, Dodgeball, and The Wedding Crashers. He appeared on the second
> season of True Detective on HBO.
Vince Vaughn

Mark Brader

neprebran,
9. nov. 2016, 14:35:329. 11. 16
do
Dan Blum:
> 2. <answer 2> is probably the second best-known of Superman's female
> supporting characters (not counting Supergirl as a supporting
> character). Like everything in long-running comics her character has
> changed over time but I am pretty sure she has always been a childhood
> friend of Clark Kent and/or Superboy in Smallville. Sometimes she has
> still been his friend as an adult.

Lana Lang.

> 3. The "<answer 3> effect" occurs when a psychologist or psychiatrist
> mistakenly assumes a patient's descriptions of real but
> hard-to-believe events are delusional. <answer 3> was known for
> calling reporters and telling them about criminal things her husband
> and associates were doing; since she was married to a prominent member
> of Nixon's Cabinet, many of these things turned out to be true. In
> particular her husband served 19 minths in prison.

Martha Mitchell.

> 6. Clara Ann Fowler was the best-selling female singer of the 1950s
> and continued to have success for several decades after that, although
> she shifted somewhat from traditional pop to country over the
> years. Her signature song was "Tennessee Waltz." She is much better
> known by her professional name, which is <answer 6>.

Patti Page.

> 8. This English novelist was the author of 24 mysteries about
> Inspector Wexford, plus many other non-series novels, primarily also
> about crime. Some of the latter were published under the pseudonym
> Barbara Vine.

Ruth Rendell.

> 9. This English actress was one of the best-known of the late 18th and
> early 19th centuries. She primarily played in tragedies; her signature
> role was Lady Macbeth. A portrait of her by Sir Joshua Reynolds is
> featured in the movie All About Eve.

Sarah Siddons. A preserved Metropolitan Railway locomotive is named
after her.

> 10. This Scottish civil engineer and architect's first major
> appointment was as Surveyor of Public Works in Shropshire, but success
> there led to his working on the Ellesmere and Shrewsbury Canals, which
> in turn led to his being involved with all sorts of projects,
> including consulting for the Swedish Gota Canal (there should be an
> umlaut over the "o" [that's not really an umlaut, but you know what I
> mean]). Later he was responsible for building and rebuilding many
> roads, leading to his being nicknamed "Colossus of Roads" by Robert
> Southey. He was the first president of he Institution of Civil
> Engineers.

Thomas Telford.

> 12. This American actor's first major role was in the movie
> Swingers. In the 1990s he appeared in a variety of movies but in the
> 2000s became best-known for his roles in comedies, which include Old
> School, Dodgeball, and The Wedding Crashers. He appeared on the second
> season of True Detective on HBO.

Vince Vaughn.
--
Mark Brader "It flies like a truck."
Toronto "Good. What is a truck?"

Gareth Owen

neprebran,
9. nov. 2016, 15:03:109. 11. 16
do
to...@panix.com (Dan Blum) writes:

> 1. This Armenian-American businessman's first business was an airline
> (Trans International), but he is much better known for his
> entertainment-related investments. He owned the land on the Las Vegas
> Strip that Caesars Palace was built on (and later sold the land to
> them); later Las Vegas ventures included the International Hotel and
> the MGM Grand, the latter of which he built after purchasing the MGM
> movie studio. He also invested heavily in the auto industry and tried
> to take over Chrysler in the mid-90s.
>
> 2. <answer 2> is probably the second best-known of Superman's female
> supporting characters (not counting Supergirl as a supporting
> character). Like everything in long-running comics her character has
> changed over time but I am pretty sure she has always been a childhood
> friend of Clark Kent and/or Superboy in Smallville. Sometimes she has
> still been his friend as an adult.

Lana Lang

> 3. The "<answer 3> effect" occurs when a psychologist or psychiatrist
> mistakenly assumes a patient's descriptions of real but
> hard-to-believe events are delusional. <answer 3> was known for
> calling reporters and telling them about criminal things her husband
> and associates were doing; since she was married to a prominent member
> of Nixon's Cabinet, many of these things turned out to be true. In
> particular her husband served 19 minths in prison.

Laura Liddey??

> 4. This Greek-American academic founded MIT's Architecture Machine
> Group and later co-founded MIT's Media Lab. He was director of the
> Media Lab until 2000 and chairman until 2006. At that point he wanted
> to concentrate on his One Laptop Per Child organization. He has
> invested in many startups including Wired magazine, in which he was
> the first investor.

Lawrence Lessig

> 5. William T. Adams was a 19th-century American writer, primarily of
> boys' adventure books in series of four to six books. All of these
> were published under pseudonyms, by far the most common of which was
> <answer 5>. He also edited his own magazine, <answer 5>'s Magazine:
> Our Boys and Girls, which was extremely popular.
>
> 6. Clara Ann Fowler was the best-selling female singer of the 1950s
> and continued to have success for several decades after that, although
> she shifted somewhat from traditional pop to country over the
> years. Her signature song was "Tennessee Waltz." She is much better
> known by her professional name, which is <answer 6>.

Patty Page?

> 8. This English novelist was the author of 24 mysteries about
> Inspector Wexford, plus many other non-series novels, primarily also
> about crime. Some of the latter were published under the pseudonym
> Barbara Vine.

Ruth Rendell

> 9. This English actress was one of the best-known of the late 18th and
> early 19th centuries. She primarily played in tragedies; her signature
> role was Lady Macbeth. A portrait of her by Sir Joshua Reynolds is
> featured in the movie All About Eve.

Lily Langtree?

> 10. This Scottish civil engineer and architect's first major
> appointment was as Surveyor of Public Works in Shropshire, but success
> there led to his working on the Ellesmere and Shrewsbury Canals, which
> in turn led to his being involved with all sorts of projects,
> including consulting for the Swedish Gota Canal (there should be an
> umlaut over the "o" [that's not really an umlaut, but you know what I
> mean]). Later he was responsible for building and rebuilding many
> roads, leading to his being nicknamed "Colossus of Roads" by Robert
> Southey. He was the first president of he Institution of Civil
> Engineers.
>
> 12. This American actor's first major role was in the movie
> Swingers. In the 1990s he appeared in a variety of movies but in the
> 2000s became best-known for his roles in comedies, which include Old
> School, Dodgeball, and The Wedding Crashers. He appeared on the second
> season of True Detective on HBO.

Vince Vaughan

Chris F.A. Johnson

neprebran,
9. nov. 2016, 22:09:089. 11. 16
do
On 2016-11-09, Dan Blum wrote:
> This is Rotating Quiz #239. Entries must be posted by Tuesday,
> November 15, 2016 at 10 PM (Eastern Standard Time).
> 1. This Armenian-American businessman's first business was an airline
> (Trans International), but he is much better known for his
> entertainment-related investments. He owned the land on the Las Vegas
> Strip that Caesars Palace was built on (and later sold the land to
> them); later Las Vegas ventures included the International Hotel and
> the MGM Grand, the latter of which he built after purchasing the MGM
> movie studio. He also invested heavily in the auto industry and tried
> to take over Chrysler in the mid-90s.
>
> 2. <answer 2> is probably the second best-known of Superman's female
> supporting characters (not counting Supergirl as a supporting
> character). Like everything in long-running comics her character has
> changed over time but I am pretty sure she has always been a childhood
> friend of Clark Kent and/or Superboy in Smallville. Sometimes she has
> still been his friend as an adult.

Lana Lang

> 3. The "<answer 3> effect" occurs when a psychologist or psychiatrist
> mistakenly assumes a patient's descriptions of real but
> hard-to-believe events are delusional. <answer 3> was known for
> calling reporters and telling them about criminal things her husband
> and associates were doing; since she was married to a prominent member
> of Nixon's Cabinet, many of these things turned out to be true. In
> particular her husband served 19 minths in prison.

Martha Mitchell

> 4. This Greek-American academic founded MIT's Architecture Machine
> Group and later co-founded MIT's Media Lab. He was director of the
> Media Lab until 2000 and chairman until 2006. At that point he wanted
> to concentrate on his One Laptop Per Child organization. He has
> invested in many startups including Wired magazine, in which he was
> the first investor.

Nicholas Negroponte

> 5. William T. Adams was a 19th-century American writer, primarily of
> boys' adventure books in series of four to six books. All of these
> were published under pseudonyms, by far the most common of which was
><answer 5>. He also edited his own magazine, <answer 5>'s Magazine:
> Our Boys and Girls, which was extremely popular.

Oliver Optic

> 6. Clara Ann Fowler was the best-selling female singer of the 1950s
> and continued to have success for several decades after that, although
> she shifted somewhat from traditional pop to country over the
> years. Her signature song was "Tennessee Waltz." She is much better
> known by her professional name, which is <answer 6>.

Patti Page

> 8. This English novelist was the author of 24 mysteries about
> Inspector Wexford, plus many other non-series novels, primarily also
> about crime. Some of the latter were published under the pseudonym
> Barbara Vine.

Ruth Rendell

> 9. This English actress was one of the best-known of the late 18th and
> early 19th centuries. She primarily played in tragedies; her signature
> role was Lady Macbeth. A portrait of her by Sir Joshua Reynolds is
> featured in the movie All About Eve.

Sarah Siddons

> 10. This Scottish civil engineer and architect's first major
> appointment was as Surveyor of Public Works in Shropshire, but success
> there led to his working on the Ellesmere and Shrewsbury Canals, which
> in turn led to his being involved with all sorts of projects,
> including consulting for the Swedish Gota Canal (there should be an
> umlaut over the "o" [that's not really an umlaut, but you know what I
> mean]). Later he was responsible for building and rebuilding many
> roads, leading to his being nicknamed "Colossus of Roads" by Robert
> Southey. He was the first president of he Institution of Civil
> Engineers.

Brunel

> 12. This American actor's first major role was in the movie
> Swingers. In the 1990s he appeared in a variety of movies but in the
> 2000s became best-known for his roles in comedies, which include Old
> School, Dodgeball, and The Wedding Crashers. He appeared on the second
> season of True Detective on HBO.

--
Chris F.A. Johnson

Peter Smyth

neprebran,
10. nov. 2016, 11:48:0110. 11. 16
do
Kardashian
> 2. <answer 2> is probably the second best-known of Superman's female
> supporting characters (not counting Supergirl as a supporting
> character). Like everything in long-running comics her character has
> changed over time but I am pretty sure she has always been a childhood
> friend of Clark Kent and/or Superboy in Smallville. Sometimes she has
> still been his friend as an adult.
Lois Lane
Ruth Rendell
> 9. This English actress was one of the best-known of the late 18th and
> early 19th centuries. She primarily played in tragedies; her signature
> role was Lady Macbeth. A portrait of her by Sir Joshua Reynolds is
> featured in the movie All About Eve.
>
> 10. This Scottish civil engineer and architect's first major
> appointment was as Surveyor of Public Works in Shropshire, but success
> there led to his working on the Ellesmere and Shrewsbury Canals, which
> in turn led to his being involved with all sorts of projects,
> including consulting for the Swedish Gota Canal (there should be an
> umlaut over the "o" [that's not really an umlaut, but you know what I
> mean]). Later he was responsible for building and rebuilding many
> roads, leading to his being nicknamed "Colossus of Roads" by Robert
> Southey. He was the first president of he Institution of Civil
> Engineers.
Thomas Telford
> 12. This American actor's first major role was in the movie
> Swingers. In the 1990s he appeared in a variety of movies but in the
> 2000s became best-known for his roles in comedies, which include Old
> School, Dodgeball, and The Wedding Crashers. He appeared on the second
> season of True Detective on HBO.
Vince Vaughan

Peter Smyth

Dan Tilque

neprebran,
10. nov. 2016, 23:27:2410. 11. 16
do
Dan Blum wrote:

> 1. This Armenian-American businessman's first business was an airline
> (Trans International), but he is much better known for his
> entertainment-related investments. He owned the land on the Las Vegas
> Strip that Caesars Palace was built on (and later sold the land to
> them); later Las Vegas ventures included the International Hotel and
> the MGM Grand, the latter of which he built after purchasing the MGM
> movie studio. He also invested heavily in the auto industry and tried
> to take over Chrysler in the mid-90s.
>
> 2. <answer 2> is probably the second best-known of Superman's female
> supporting characters (not counting Supergirl as a supporting
> character). Like everything in long-running comics her character has
> changed over time but I am pretty sure she has always been a childhood
> friend of Clark Kent and/or Superboy in Smallville. Sometimes she has
> still been his friend as an adult.

Lana Lang

> 3. The "<answer 3> effect" occurs when a psychologist or psychiatrist
> mistakenly assumes a patient's descriptions of real but
> hard-to-believe events are delusional. <answer 3> was known for
> calling reporters and telling them about criminal things her husband
> and associates were doing; since she was married to a prominent member
> of Nixon's Cabinet, many of these things turned out to be true. In
> particular her husband served 19 minths in prison.

Margaret Mitchell
I recognize the pattern, but most of the answers are too obscure for me.

--
Dan Tilque

swp

neprebran,
11. nov. 2016, 09:58:4411. 11. 16
do
kirk kerkorian

> 2. <answer 2> is probably the second best-known of Superman's female
> supporting characters (not counting Supergirl as a supporting
> character). Like everything in long-running comics her character has
> changed over time but I am pretty sure she has always been a childhood
> friend of Clark Kent and/or Superboy in Smallville. Sometimes she has
> still been his friend as an adult.

lana lang

> 3. The "<answer 3> effect" occurs when a psychologist or psychiatrist
> mistakenly assumes a patient's descriptions of real but
> hard-to-believe events are delusional. <answer 3> was known for
> calling reporters and telling them about criminal things her husband
> and associates were doing; since she was married to a prominent member
> of Nixon's Cabinet, many of these things turned out to be true. In
> particular her husband served 19 months in prison.

martha mitchell

> 4. This Greek-American academic founded MIT's Architecture Machine
> Group and later co-founded MIT's Media Lab. He was director of the
> Media Lab until 2000 and chairman until 2006. At that point he wanted
> to concentrate on his One Laptop Per Child organization. He has
> invested in many startups including Wired magazine, in which he was
> the first investor.

nick n.

> 5. William T. Adams was a 19th-century American writer, primarily of
> boys' adventure books in series of four to six books. All of these
> were published under pseudonyms, by far the most common of which was
> <answer 5>. He also edited his own magazine, <answer 5>'s Magazine:
> Our Boys and Girls, which was extremely popular.

oliver o.

> 6. Clara Ann Fowler was the best-selling female singer of the 1950s
> and continued to have success for several decades after that, although
> she shifted somewhat from traditional pop to country over the
> years. Her signature song was "Tennessee Waltz." She is much better
> known by her professional name, which is <answer 6>.

patti page

> 8. This English novelist was the author of 24 mysteries about
> Inspector Wexford, plus many other non-series novels, primarily also
> about crime. Some of the latter were published under the pseudonym
> Barbara Vine.

r r

> 9. This English actress was one of the best-known of the late 18th and
> early 19th centuries. She primarily played in tragedies; her signature
> role was Lady Macbeth. A portrait of her by Sir Joshua Reynolds is
> featured in the movie All About Eve.

s s

> 10. This Scottish civil engineer and architect's first major
> appointment was as Surveyor of Public Works in Shropshire, but success
> there led to his working on the Ellesmere and Shrewsbury Canals, which
> in turn led to his being involved with all sorts of projects,
> including consulting for the Swedish Gota Canal (there should be an
> umlaut over the "o" [that's not really an umlaut, but you know what I
> mean]). Later he was responsible for building and rebuilding many
> roads, leading to his being nicknamed "Colossus of Roads" by Robert
> Southey. He was the first president of he Institution of Civil
> Engineers.

tom telford

> 12. This American actor's first major role was in the movie
> Swingers. In the 1990s he appeared in a variety of movies but in the
> 2000s became best-known for his roles in comedies, which include Old
> School, Dodgeball, and The Wedding Crashers. He appeared on the second
> season of True Detective on HBO.

vince vaughn

swp

p.s. I voted for president donald trump, not because I am against the lies and corruption of the clintons, rather because I am for his policies of inclusiveness and respect for law and order. if you still have blinders on, please go read http://blog.dilbert.com/ to see how robert cialdini was used to manipulate you.

Gareth Owen

neprebran,
11. nov. 2016, 13:49:0411. 11. 16
do
swp <Stephen...@gmail.com> writes:

>> 3. The "<answer 3> effect" occurs when a psychologist or psychiatrist
>> mistakenly assumes a patient's descriptions of real but
>> hard-to-believe events are delusional. <answer 3> was known for
>> calling reporters and telling them about criminal things her husband
>> and associates were doing; since she was married to a prominent member
>> of Nixon's Cabinet, many of these things turned out to be true. In
>> particular her husband served 19 months in prison.
>
> martha mitchell

I have Margaret Mitchell syndrome.
It just means that, frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

Erland Sommarskog

neprebran,
11. nov. 2016, 14:11:5711. 11. 16
do
swp (Stephen...@gmail.com) writes:
> p.s. I voted for president donald trump, not because I am against the
> lies and corruption of the clintons, rather because I am for his
> policies of inclusiveness and respect for law and order. if you still
> have blinders on, please go read http://blog.dilbert.com/ to see how
> robert cialdini was used to manipulate you.

This is entirely off-topic for this newsgroup and you know that.

Gareth Owen

neprebran,
12. nov. 2016, 03:27:4512. 11. 16
do
Seconded

Pete

neprebran,
12. nov. 2016, 14:19:1712. 11. 16
do
to...@panix.com (Dan Blum) wrote in news:nvves6$ii3$1...@reader2.panix.com:
Manoogian

> 2. <answer 2> is probably the second best-known of Superman's female
> supporting characters (not counting Supergirl as a supporting
> character). Like everything in long-running comics her character has
> changed over time but I am pretty sure she has always been a childhood
> friend of Clark Kent and/or Superboy in Smallville. Sometimes she has
> still been his friend as an adult.

Lana Lang

> 3. The "<answer 3> effect" occurs when a psychologist or psychiatrist
> mistakenly assumes a patient's descriptions of real but
> hard-to-believe events are delusional. <answer 3> was known for
> calling reporters and telling them about criminal things her husband
> and associates were doing; since she was married to a prominent member
> of Nixon's Cabinet, many of these things turned out to be true. In
> particular her husband served 19 minths in prison.

Mitchell

> 4. This Greek-American academic founded MIT's Architecture Machine
> Group and later co-founded MIT's Media Lab. He was director of the
> Media Lab until 2000 and chairman until 2006. At that point he wanted
> to concentrate on his One Laptop Per Child organization. He has
> invested in many startups including Wired magazine, in which he was
> the first investor.
>
> 5. William T. Adams was a 19th-century American writer, primarily of
> boys' adventure books in series of four to six books. All of these
> were published under pseudonyms, by far the most common of which was
> <answer 5>. He also edited his own magazine, <answer 5>'s Magazine:
> Our Boys and Girls, which was extremely popular.
>
> 6. Clara Ann Fowler was the best-selling female singer of the 1950s
> and continued to have success for several decades after that, although
> she shifted somewhat from traditional pop to country over the
> years. Her signature song was "Tennessee Waltz." She is much better
> known by her professional name, which is <answer 6>.

Doris Day

> 8. This English novelist was the author of 24 mysteries about
> Inspector Wexford, plus many other non-series novels, primarily also
> about crime. Some of the latter were published under the pseudonym
> Barbara Vine.
>
> 9. This English actress was one of the best-known of the late 18th and
> early 19th centuries. She primarily played in tragedies; her signature
> role was Lady Macbeth. A portrait of her by Sir Joshua Reynolds is
> featured in the movie All About Eve.
>
> 10. This Scottish civil engineer and architect's first major
> appointment was as Surveyor of Public Works in Shropshire, but success
> there led to his working on the Ellesmere and Shrewsbury Canals, which
> in turn led to his being involved with all sorts of projects,
> including consulting for the Swedish Gota Canal (there should be an
> umlaut over the "o" [that's not really an umlaut, but you know what I
> mean]). Later he was responsible for building and rebuilding many
> roads, leading to his being nicknamed "Colossus of Roads" by Robert
> Southey. He was the first president of he Institution of Civil
> Engineers.
>
> 12. This American actor's first major role was in the movie
> Swingers. In the 1990s he appeared in a variety of movies but in the
> 2000s became best-known for his roles in comedies, which include Old
> School, Dodgeball, and The Wedding Crashers. He appeared on the second
> season of True Detective on HBO.

Owen Wilson

Pete Gayde

Dan Blum

neprebran,
17. nov. 2016, 23:10:3717. 11. 16
do
Sorry for not posting results earlier - I have been sick and I lost
track of a few things.

The winner of RQ #239 is Chris F. A. Johnson on the first
tiebreaker. He may now set RQ #240.

> 1. This Armenian-American businessman's first business was an airline
> (Trans International), but he is much better known for his
> entertainment-related investments. He owned the land on the Las Vegas
> Strip that Caesars Palace was built on (and later sold the land to
> them); later Las Vegas ventures included the International Hotel and
> the MGM Grand, the latter of which he built after purchasing the MGM
> movie studio. He also invested heavily in the auto industry and tried
> to take over Chrysler in the mid-90s.

Kirk Kerkorian

> 2. <answer 2> is probably the second best-known of Superman's female
> supporting characters (not counting Supergirl as a supporting
> character). Like everything in long-running comics her character has
> changed over time but I am pretty sure she has always been a childhood
> friend of Clark Kent and/or Superboy in Smallville. Sometimes she has
> still been his friend as an adult.

Lana Lang

> 3. The "<answer 3> effect" occurs when a psychologist or psychiatrist
> mistakenly assumes a patient's descriptions of real but
> hard-to-believe events are delusional. <answer 3> was known for
> calling reporters and telling them about criminal things her husband
> and associates were doing; since she was married to a prominent member
> of Nixon's Cabinet, many of these things turned out to be true. In
> particular her husband served 19 minths in prison.

Martha Mitchell

> 4. This Greek-American academic founded MIT's Architecture Machine
> Group and later co-founded MIT's Media Lab. He was director of the
> Media Lab until 2000 and chairman until 2006. At that point he wanted
> to concentrate on his One Laptop Per Child organization. He has
> invested in many startups including Wired magazine, in which he was
> the first investor.

Nicholas Negroponte

> 5. William T. Adams was a 19th-century American writer, primarily of
> boys' adventure books in series of four to six books. All of these
> were published under pseudonyms, by far the most common of which was
> <answer 5>. He also edited his own magazine, <answer 5>'s Magazine:
> Our Boys and Girls, which was extremely popular.

Oliver Optic

I thought about using Oliver Onions but that probably wouldn't have
been any easier.

> 6. Clara Ann Fowler was the best-selling female singer of the 1950s
> and continued to have success for several decades after that, although
> she shifted somewhat from traditional pop to country over the
> years. Her signature song was "Tennessee Waltz." She is much better
> known by her professional name, which is <answer 6>.

Patti Page

I am somewhat arbitrarily giving "Patty Page" as 2 points.

> 8. This English novelist was the author of 24 mysteries about
> Inspector Wexford, plus many other non-series novels, primarily also
> about crime. Some of the latter were published under the pseudonym
> Barbara Vine.

Ruth Rendell

> 9. This English actress was one of the best-known of the late 18th and
> early 19th centuries. She primarily played in tragedies; her signature
> role was Lady Macbeth. A portrait of her by Sir Joshua Reynolds is
> featured in the movie All About Eve.

Sarah Siddons

> 10. This Scottish civil engineer and architect's first major
> appointment was as Surveyor of Public Works in Shropshire, but success
> there led to his working on the Ellesmere and Shrewsbury Canals, which
> in turn led to his being involved with all sorts of projects,
> including consulting for the Swedish Gota Canal (there should be an
> umlaut over the "o" [that's not really an umlaut, but you know what I
> mean]). Later he was responsible for building and rebuilding many
> roads, leading to his being nicknamed "Colossus of Roads" by Robert
> Southey. He was the first president of he Institution of Civil
> Engineers.

Thomas Telford

> 12. This American actor's first major role was in the movie
> Swingers. In the 1990s he appeared in a variety of movies but in the
> 2000s became best-known for his roles in comedies, which include Old
> School, Dodgeball, and The Wedding Crashers. He appeared on the second
> season of True Detective on HBO.

Vince Vaughn

I am also arbitrarily giving "Vince Vaughan" 2 points. I suppose I
should have had a rule about almost-correct spellings.

Scores:
1 2 3 4 5 6 8 9 10 12 Total
----------------------------------
Chris 0 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 0 0 21
Mark 0 3 3 0 0 3 3 3 3 3 21
Stephen 3 3 3 0 0 3 0 0 3 3 18
Marc 0 3 3 3 0 3 0 0 0 3 15
Gareth 0 3 0 0 0 2 3 0 0 2 10
Peter 0 0 0 0 0 0 3 0 3 2 8
Dan 0 3 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6
Pete 0 3 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 5

Dan Tilque

neprebran,
18. nov. 2016, 00:31:1718. 11. 16
do
Dan Blum wrote:

> Scores:
> 1 2 3 4 5 6 8 9 10 12 Total
> ----------------------------------

> Dan 0 3 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6

I said Margaret Mitchell, not Martha, for #3, so I should only get one
or two points, at most. Not that it makes the slightest difference in
the results, so frankly, who gives a damn.

--
Dan Tilque

Dan Blum

neprebran,