Calvin's Quiz #461

Calvin

Oct 13, 2016, 6:23:14 PM10/13/16

1 What is the first given name of Kim Kardashian and Kanye West's second child, born in December 2015?
2 The city where Archduke Ferdinand was assassinated in 1914 is now the capital of which country?
3 Who wrote the bestselling 1992 relationship guide "Man are from Mars, Women are from Venus"?
4 Jamie Lee Curtis, Lindsay Lohan, Barbara Harris and Jodie Foster have all starred in a movie with which title?
5 These days they are most commonly used on small engines such as lawn mowers. Which device mixes air and fuel for internal combustion?
6 The works of which American composer (1900-1990) include "Fanfare for the Common Man" and "Appalachian Spring"?
7 In the Kübler-Ross model, also known as 'the five stages of grief', which is the last emotion experienced by people faced with impending trauma?
8 In 1939, which TWO countries invaded Poland?
9 Which four-letter word describes the white substance between the coloured skin and flesh of some fruits, for example an orange?
10 What type of creature is a razorback?

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Oct 13, 2016, 6:36:24 PM10/13/16
"Calvin":
> 1 What is the first given name of Kim Kardashian and Kanye
> West's second child, born in December 2015?

Kanother. :-)

> 2 The city where Archduke Ferdinand was assassinated in 1914
> is now the capital of which country?

Bosnia & Herzegovina.

> 3 Who wrote the bestselling 1992 relationship guide "Man are
> from Mars, Women are from Venus"?

Gray.

> 4 Jamie Lee Curtis, Lindsay Lohan, Barbara Harris and Jodie
> Foster have all starred in a movie with which title?

"Freaky Friday".

> 5 These days they are most commonly used on small engines
> such as lawn mowers. Which device mixes air and fuel for
> internal combustion?

Carburetor.

> 6 The works of which American composer (1900-1990) include
> "Fanfare for the Common Man" and "Appalachian Spring"?

Arrgh, I bet he was in the last QFTCI round. Oh, I think I know.
Copeland?

> 7 In the Kübler-Ross model, also known as 'the five stages
> of grief', which is the last emotion experienced by people
> faced with impending trauma?

Acceptance.

> 8 In 1939, which TWO countries invaded Poland?

Germany, USSR (not Russia).

> 9 Which four-letter word describes the white substance
> between the coloured skin and flesh of some fruits, for
> example an orange?

Zest?

> 10 What type of creature is a razorback?

Hog.
--
Mark Brader "Succeed, and you'll be remembered for a very long time.
Toronto Fail, and you'll be remembered even longer."

Chris F.A. Johnson

Oct 14, 2016, 12:08:02 AM10/14/16
On 2016-10-13, Calvin wrote:

> 1 What is the first given name of Kim Kardashian and Kanye West's second child, born in December 2015?
> 2 The city where Archduke Ferdinand was assassinated in 1914 is now the capital of which country?

Bosnia

> 3 Who wrote the bestselling 1992 relationship guide "Man are from Mars, Women are from Venus"?

Gray

> 4 Jamie Lee Curtis, Lindsay Lohan, Barbara Harris and Jodie Foster have all starred in a movie with which title?

Freaky Friday

> 5 These days they are most commonly used on small engines such as lawn mowers. Which device mixes air and fuel for internal combustion?

Carburetors

> 6 The works of which American composer (1900-1990) include "Fanfare for the Common Man" and "Appalachian Spring"?

Copland

> 7 In the Kubler-Ross model, also known as 'the five stages of grief', which is the last emotion experienced by people faced with impending trauma?

Acceptance

> 8 In 1939, which TWO countries invaded Poland?

Germany, USSR

> 9 Which four-letter word describes the white substance between the coloured skin and flesh of some fruits, for example an orange?
> 10 What type of creature is a razorback?

Whale

--
Chris F.A. Johnson

Gareth Owen

Oct 14, 2016, 2:26:41 AM10/14/16
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:

> 1 What is the first given name of Kim Kardashian and Kanye West's
> second child, born in December 2015?

North?

> 2 The city where Archduke Ferdinand was assassinated in 1914 is now
> the capital of which country?

Bosnia Herzegovina (sp?)

> 3 Who wrote the bestselling 1992 relationship guide "Man are from
> Mars, Women are from Venus"?

Nope

> 4 Jamie Lee Curtis, Lindsay Lohan, Barbara Harris and Jodie Foster
> have all starred in a movie with which title?

Freaky Friday

> 5 These days they are most commonly used on small engines such as lawn
> mowers. Which device mixes air and fuel for internal combustion?

Carburettor? (Are they not common in big engines anymore? Do they use
injectors? God, I know so little about how my car works).

> 6 The works of which American composer (1900-1990) include "Fanfare
> for the Common Man" and "Appalachian Spring"?

Copland

> 7 In the Kübler-Ross model, also known as 'the five stages of grief',
> which is the last emotion experienced by people faced with impending
> trauma?

Acceptance

> 8 In 1939, which TWO countries invaded Poland?

Germany obviously, and USSR I assume

> 9 Which four-letter word describes the white substance between the
> coloured skin and flesh of some fruits, for example an orange?

Pulp

> 10 What type of creature is a razorback?

Pig

Marc Dashevsky

Oct 14, 2016, 2:42:29 AM10/14/16
In article <beec536d-8f77-40d8...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> 1 What is the first given name of Kim Kardashian and Kanye West's second child, born in December 2015?
> 2 The city where Archduke Ferdinand was assassinated in 1914 is now the capital of which country?
Bosnia

> 3 Who wrote the bestselling 1992 relationship guide "Man are from Mars, Women are from Venus"?
Deborah Tannen

> 4 Jamie Lee Curtis, Lindsay Lohan, Barbara Harris and Jodie Foster have all starred in a movie with which title?
Freaky Friday

> 5 These days they are most commonly used on small engines such as lawn mowers. Which device mixes air and fuel for internal combustion?
carburetor

> 6 The works of which American composer (1900-1990) include "Fanfare for the Common Man" and "Appalachian Spring"?
Aaron Copland

> 7 In the Kübler-Ross model, also known as 'the five stages of grief', which is the last emotion experienced by people faced with impending trauma?
acceptance

> 8 In 1939, which TWO countries invaded Poland?
Germany and USSR

> 9 Which four-letter word describes the white substance between the coloured skin and flesh of some fruits, for example an orange?
pith

> 10 What type of creature is a razorback?
pig

> cheers,
> calvin

Erland Sommarskog

Oct 14, 2016, 3:26:02 AM10/14/16
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 What is the first given name of Kim Kardashian and Kanye West's
> second child, born in December 2015?

Eh, who cares??? Svante?

> 2 The city where Archduke Ferdinand was assassinated in 1914 is now
> the capital of which country?

Bosnia-Hercegovina

> 4 Jamie Lee Curtis, Lindsay Lohan, Barbara Harris and Jodie Foster
> have all starred in a movie with which title?

Carnage

> 6 The works of which American composer (1900-1990) include "Fanfare
> for the Common Man" and "Appalachian Spring"?

Aaron Copeland

> 8 In 1939, which TWO countries invaded Poland?

Germany and Soviet Union

> 10 What type of creature is a razorback?

Insect

Dan Tilque

Oct 14, 2016, 4:00:36 AM10/14/16
Calvin wrote:
> 1 What is the first given name of Kim Kardashian and Kanye West's second child, born in December 2015?
> 2 The city where Archduke Ferdinand was assassinated in 1914 is now the capital of which country?

Bosnia and Herzegovina

> 3 Who wrote the bestselling 1992 relationship guide "Man are from Mars, Women are from Venus"?
> 4 Jamie Lee Curtis, Lindsay Lohan, Barbara Harris and Jodie Foster have all starred in a movie with which title?
> 5 These days they are most commonly used on small engines such as lawn mowers. Which device mixes air and fuel for internal combustion?

carburetor

> 6 The works of which American composer (1900-1990) include "Fanfare for the Common Man" and "Appalachian Spring"?

Aaron Copeland

> 7 In the Kübler-Ross model, also known as 'the five stages of grief', which is the last emotion experienced by people faced with impending trauma?

acceptance

> 8 In 1939, which TWO countries invaded Poland?

Germany and the Soviet Union

> 9 Which four-letter word describes the white substance between the coloured skin and flesh of some fruits, for example an orange?

rind

> 10 What type of creature is a razorback?

hog (also a University of Arkansas football player)

--
Dan Tilque

Björn Lundin

Oct 14, 2016, 7:21:11 AM10/14/16
On 2016-10-14 00:23, Calvin wrote:

> 1 What is the first given name of Kim Kardashian and Kanye West's second child, born in December 2015?
> 2 The city where Archduke Ferdinand was assassinated in 1914 is now the capital of which country?
Bosnia-Hercegovina
> 3 Who wrote the bestselling 1992 relationship guide "Man are from Mars, Women are from Venus"?
> 4 Jamie Lee Curtis, Lindsay Lohan, Barbara Harris and Jodie Foster have all starred in a movie with which title?
True Lies?
> 5 These days they are most commonly used on small engines such as lawn mowers. Which device mixes air and fuel for internal combustion?
carburator
> 6 The works of which American composer (1900-1990) include "Fanfare for the Common Man" and "Appalachian Spring"?
> 7 In the Kübler-Ross model, also known as 'the five stages of grief', which is the last emotion experienced by people faced with impending trauma?
depression?
> 8 In 1939, which TWO countries invaded Poland?
Germany and Russia
> 9 Which four-letter word describes the white substance between the coloured skin and flesh of some fruits, for example an orange?
> 10 What type of creature is a razorback?
Beetle?

> cheers,
> calvin

Björn

Peter Smyth

Oct 14, 2016, 11:29:52 AM10/14/16
Calvin wrote:

> 1 What is the first given name of Kim Kardashian and Kanye West's
> second child, born in December 2015?
North
> 2 The city where Archduke Ferdinand was assassinated in 1914 is now
> the capital of which country?
Bosnia & Herzegovina
> 3 Who wrote the bestselling 1992 relationship guide "Man are from
> Mars, Women are from Venus"?
>
> 4 Jamie Lee Curtis, Lindsay Lohan, Barbara Harris and Jodie Foster
> have all starred in a movie with which title?
>
> 5 These days they are most commonly used on small engines such as
> lawn mowers. Which device mixes air and fuel for internal combustion?
Choke
> 6 The works of which American composer (1900-1990) include "Fanfare
> for the Common Man" and "Appalachian Spring"?
Copland
> 7 In the Kübler-Ross model, also known as 'the five stages of
> grief', which is the last emotion experienced by people faced with
> impending trauma?
Acceptance
> 8 In 1939, which TWO countries invaded Poland?
Germany and Soviet Union
> 9 Which four-letter word describes the white substance between the
> coloured skin and flesh of some fruits, for example an orange?
Pith
> 10 What type of creature is a razorback?
Fish

Peter Smyth

Pete

Oct 15, 2016, 1:53:02 AM10/15/16
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 What is the first given name of Kim Kardashian and Kanye West's
> second child, born in December 2015?
> 2 The city where Archduke
> Ferdinand was assassinated in 1914 is now the capital of which
> country?

Bosnia Herzegovina

> 3 Who wrote the bestselling 1992 relationship guide "Man
> are from Mars, Women are from Venus"?
> 4 Jamie Lee Curtis, Lindsay
> Lohan, Barbara Harris and Jodie Foster have all starred in a movie
> with which title?
> 5 These days they are most commonly used on
> small engines such as lawn mowers. Which device mixes air and fuel for
> internal combustion?

Carburator

> 6 The works of which American composer
> (1900-1990) include "Fanfare for the Common Man" and "Appalachian
> Spring"?

Copland

> 7 In the Kübler-Ross model, also known as 'the five
> stages of grief', which is the last emotion experienced by people
> faced with impending trauma?

Acceptance

> 8 In 1939, which TWO countries invaded Poland?

Germany and USSR

> 9 Which four-letter word describes the white
> substance between the coloured skin and flesh of some fruits, for
> example an orange?

Rind

> 10 What type of creature is a razorback?

Pig

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

bbowler

Oct 18, 2016, 1:01:04 PM10/18/16
On Thu, 13 Oct 2016 15:23:13 -0700, Calvin wrote:

> 1 What is the first given name of Kim Kardashian and Kanye West's
second
> child, born in December 2015?

North is older than that, so it's not North. I'll guess South.

> 2 The city where Archduke Ferdinand was assassinated in 1914 is now
the
> capital of which country?

Bosnia

> 3 Who wrote the bestselling 1992 relationship guide "Man are from
Mars,
> Women are from Venus"?

John Grey (or is it Gray?)

> 4 Jamie Lee Curtis, Lindsay Lohan, Barbara Harris and Jodie Foster
have
> all starred in a movie with which title?

Freaky Friday

> 5 These days they are most commonly used on small engines such as
lawn
> mowers. Which device mixes air and fuel for internal combustion?

Carburetor

> 6 The works of which American composer (1900-1990) include "Fanfare
for
> the Common Man" and "Appalachian Spring"?

Aaron Copeland

> 7 In the Kübler-Ross model, also known as 'the five stages of grief',
> which is the last emotion experienced by people faced with impending
> trauma?

Acceptance

> 8 In 1939, which TWO countries invaded Poland?

Germany & Soviet Union

> 9 Which four-letter word describes the white substance between the
> coloured skin and flesh of some fruits, for example an orange?

pith

> 10 What type of creature is a razorback?

hog

Calvin

Oct 20, 2016, 8:10:49 PM10/20/16
On Friday, October 14, 2016 at 8:23:14 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 What is the first given name of Kim Kardashian and Kanye West's second child, born in December 2015?

Saint
I'm delighted than no-one got this

> 2 The city where Archduke Ferdinand was assassinated in 1914 is now the capital of which country?

Bosnia [and Herz...]

> 3 Who wrote the bestselling 1992 relationship guide "Man are from Mars,
Women are from Venus"?

John Grey

> 4 Jamie Lee Curtis, Lindsay Lohan, Barbara Harris and Jodie Foster have all starred in a movie with which title?

Freaky Friday
The latter two in the original, the first two in the re-make.

> 5 These days they are most commonly used on small engines such as lawn mowers. Which device mixes air and fuel for internal combustion?

Carburetor

> 6 The works of which American composer (1900-1990) include "Fanfare for the Common Man" and "Appalachian Spring"?

Aaron Copland

> 7 In the Kübler-Ross model, also known as 'the five stages of grief', which is the last emotion experienced by people faced with impending trauma?

Acceptance

> 8 In 1939, which TWO countries invaded Poland?

Germany and USSR

> 9 Which four-letter word describes the white substance between the coloured skin and flesh of some fruits, for example an orange?

Pith

> 10 What type of creature is a razorback?

Pig / Hog

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 461
0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 9 62 Bruce Bowler
0 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 8 59 Marc Dashevsky
0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 8 59 Mark Brader
0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 7 53 Chris Johnson
0 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 7 56 Gareth Owen
0 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 6 51 Dan Tilque
0 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 6 51 Pete Gayde
0 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 5 40 Peter Smyth
0 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 3 27 Bjorn Lundin
0 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 3 28 Erland S
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
0 10 3 5 8 9 9 9 3 6 62 62%

Congratulations Bruce!

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Oct 21, 2016, 1:58:24 AM10/21/16
"Calvin":
> > 8 In 1939, which TWO countries invaded Poland?
>
> Germany and USSR

Erland also got this.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | I still remember the first time his reality check
m...@vex.net | bounced. -- Darlene Richards

Erland Sommarskog

Oct 21, 2016, 3:24:31 AM10/21/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> "Calvin":
>> > 8 In 1939, which TWO countries invaded Poland?
>>
>> Germany and USSR
>
> Erland also got this.

Seems like Calvin had a displacement error in the score table. He had a 1
for me for #7 which I didn't even try. So my total score is correct.

Calvin

Oct 23, 2016, 7:30:33 PM10/23/16
On Friday, October 21, 2016 at 5:24:31 PM UTC+10, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> > "Calvin":
> >>
> >> Germany and USSR
> >
> > Erland also got this.
>
> Seems like Calvin had a displacement error in the score table. He had a 1
> for me for #7 which I didn't even try. So my total score is correct.

Here are the corrected results, though the overall scores have not changed.

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 461
0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 9 62 Bruce Bowler
0 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 8 59 Marc Dashevsky
0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 8 59 Mark Brader
0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 7 53 Chris Johnson