Calvins Quiz #432

Calvin

Mar 23, 2016, 7:58:47 PM3/23/16

1 Which chemical element with the atomic number 84 did Marie Curie name after the land of her birth?
2 The cities of Ceuta and Melilla are Spanish enclaves that share a land border with which country?
3 What four-word warning is the internet-related acronym 'NSFW' short for?
4 Nicknamed 'The Teflon Don', which mobster (1940-2002) became head of New York’s Gambino crime family upon the murder of Paul Castellano in 1985?
5 Which French actress portrayed Julie Vignon de Courcy in Krzysztof Kieślowski's 'Three Colors' trilogy? She was a main character in 'Blue', and a minor character in the other two.
6 Which video games company's releases include 'Need for Speed', 'FIFA World Cup', 'Command and Conquer' and 'The Sims'?
7 Which European country's internet domain is .ch?
8 Despite some popular success, which Scotsman (1825-1902) is widely regarded by critics as the worst poet in the history of English literature?
9 The Minoan civilisation was based on which Mediterranean island?
10 First published in 1962, which two social scientists developed the first psychometric questionnaire designed to measure psychological preferences in how individuals make decisions and perceive the world?

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Mar 23, 2016, 10:55:50 PM3/23/16
"Calvin":
> 1 Which chemical element with the atomic number 84 did Marie
> Curie name after the land of her birth?

Polonium.

> 2 The cities of Ceuta and Melilla are Spanish enclaves that
> share a land border with which country?

Morocco.

> 3 What four-word warning is the internet-related acronym 'NSFW'
> short for?

Not Safe for Work.

> 4 Nicknamed 'The Teflon Don', which mobster (1940-2002) became
> head of New York's Gambino crime family upon the murder of
> Paul Castellano in 1985?

Gotti.

> 5 Which French actress portrayed Julie Vignon de Courcy in
> Krzysztof Kie[015B]lowski's 'Three Colors' trilogy? She was a main
> character in 'Blue', and a minor character in the other two.

Binoche?

> 6 Which video games company's releases include 'Need for Speed',
> 'FIFA World Cup', 'Command and Conquer' and 'The Sims'?

Nintendo?

> 7 Which European country's internet domain is .ch?

Switzerland, again.

> 8 Despite some popular success, which Scotsman (1825-1902) is
> widely regarded by critics as the worst poet in the history of
> English literature?

McGonagall. See sigquote.

> 9 The Minoan civilisation was based on which Mediterranean island?

Crete.

> 10 First published in 1962, which two social scientists
> developed the first psychometric questionnaire designed to
> measure psychological preferences in how individuals make
> decisions and perceive the world?

(Thinks for about 2 minutes) Meyers and Briggs.

--
Mark Brader | "For the stronger we our houses do build,
Toronto | The less chance we have of being killed."

Dan Tilque

Mar 24, 2016, 2:48:06 AM3/24/16
Calvin wrote:
> 1 Which chemical element with the atomic number 84 did Marie Curie name after the land of her birth?

Polonium

> 2 The cities of Ceuta and Melilla are Spanish enclaves that share a land border with which country?

Morocco

(Which means Spain has land borders with how many countries? Yes, I
remember that question.)

> 3 What four-word warning is the internet-related acronym 'NSFW' short for?

Not Safe For Work

> 4 Nicknamed 'The Teflon Don', which mobster (1940-2002) became head of New York’s Gambino crime family upon the murder of Paul Castellano in 1985?

Michael Corleone

> 5 Which French actress portrayed Julie Vignon de Courcy in Krzysztof Kieślowski's 'Three Colors' trilogy? She was a main character in 'Blue', and a minor character in the other two.
> 6 Which video games company's releases include 'Need for Speed', 'FIFA World Cup', 'Command and Conquer' and 'The Sims'?
> 7 Which European country's internet domain is .ch?

Switzerland

> 8 Despite some popular success, which Scotsman (1825-1902) is widely regarded by critics as the worst poet in the history of English literature?

Paula Nancy Millstone Jennings

> 9 The Minoan civilisation was based on which Mediterranean island?

Crete

> 10 First published in 1962, which two social scientists developed the first psychometric questionnaire designed to measure psychological preferences in how individuals make decisions and perceive the world?

Myers and Briggs

--
Dan Tilque

Gareth Owen

Mar 24, 2016, 2:59:12 AM3/24/16
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:

> 1 Which chemical element with the atomic number 84 did Marie Curie
> name after the land of her birth?

Polonium

> 2 The cities of Ceuta and Melilla are Spanish enclaves that share a
> land border with which country?

Portugal

> 3 What four-word warning is the internet-related acronym 'NSFW'
> short for?

Not Safe For Work

> 4 Nicknamed 'The Teflon Don', which mobster (1940-2002) became head of
> New York’s Gambino crime family upon the murder of Paul Castellano in
> 1985?

Gotti

> 5 Which French actress portrayed Julie Vignon de Courcy in Krzysztof
> Kieślowski's 'Three Colors' trilogy? She was a main character in
> Blue', and a minor character in the other two.

Juliette Binoche?

> 6 Which video games company's releases include 'Need for Speed', 'FIFA
> World Cup', 'Command and Conquer' and 'The Sims'?

EA

> 7 Which European country's internet domain is .ch?

Switzerland

> 8 Despite some popular success, which Scotsman (1825-1902) is widely
> regarded by critics as the worst poet in the history of English
> literature?

McGonnagall

> 9 The Minoan civilisation was based on which Mediterranean island?

Crete

> 10 First published in 1962, which two social scientists developed the
> first psychometric questionnaire designed to measure psychological
> preferences in how individuals make decisions and perceive the world?

Myers/Briggs

Marc Dashevsky

Mar 24, 2016, 3:22:47 AM3/24/16
In article <e4ee65d8-32ee-4ef1...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> 1 Which chemical element with the atomic number 84 did Marie Curie name after the land of her birth?
Polonium

> 2 The cities of Ceuta and Melilla are Spanish enclaves that share a land border with which country?
> 3 What four-word warning is the internet-related acronym 'NSFW' short for?
not safe for work

> 4 Nicknamed 'The Teflon Don', which mobster (1940-2002) became head of New York?s Gambino crime family upon the murder of Paul Castellano in 1985?
John Gotti

> 5 Which French actress portrayed Julie Vignon de Courcy in Krzysztof Kieslowski's 'Three Colors' trilogy? She was a main character in 'Blue', and a minor character in the other two.
Juliette Binoche

> 6 Which video games company's releases include 'Need for Speed', 'FIFA World Cup', 'Command and Conquer' and 'The Sims'?
> 7 Which European country's internet domain is .ch?
Switzerland

> 8 Despite some popular success, which Scotsman (1825-1902) is widely regarded by critics as the worst poet in the history of English literature?
> 9 The Minoan civilisation was based on which Mediterranean island?
Crete

> 10 First published in 1962, which two social scientists developed the first psychometric questionnaire designed to measure psychological preferences in how individuals make decisions and perceive the world?
Myers & Briggs

Erland Sommarskog

Mar 24, 2016, 6:16:25 AM3/24/16
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 Which chemical element with the atomic number 84 did Marie Curie
> name after the land of her birth?

Polonium

> 2 The cities of Ceuta and Melilla are Spanish enclaves that share a
> land border with which country?

Oh, so you have finally come to realisation that Spain has a land border
with Morocco?

> 6 Which video games company's releases include 'Need for Speed',
> 'FIFA World Cup', 'Command and Conquer' and 'The Sims'?

Nintendo?

> 7 Which European country's internet domain is .ch?

Confederatio Helvetica

> 9 The Minoan civilisation was based on which Mediterranean island?

Crete

bbowler

Mar 24, 2016, 9:06:25 AM3/24/16
On Wed, 23 Mar 2016 16:58:46 -0700, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which chemical element with the atomic number 84 did Marie Curie
name
> after the land of her birth?

polonium

> 2 The cities of Ceuta and Melilla are Spanish enclaves that share a
land
> border with which country?

Algeria

> 3 What four-word warning is the internet-related acronym 'NSFW' short
> for?

Not {suitable|safe} for work

> 4 Nicknamed 'The Teflon Don', which mobster (1940-2002) became head
of
> New York’s Gambino crime family upon the murder of Paul Castellano in
> 1985?

John Gotti

> 5 Which French actress portrayed Julie Vignon de Courcy in Krzysztof
> Kieślowski's 'Three Colors' trilogy? She was a main character in 'Blue',
> and a minor character in the other two.
> 6 Which video games company's releases include 'Need for Speed',
'FIFA
> World Cup', 'Command and Conquer' and 'The Sims'?
> 7 Which European country's internet domain is .ch?

Switzerland

> 8 Despite some popular success, which Scotsman (1825-1902) is widely
> regarded by critics as the worst poet in the history of English
> literature?
> 9 The Minoan civilisation was based on which Mediterranean island?

Crete

> 10 First published in 1962, which two social scientists developed the
> first psychometric questionnaire designed to measure psychological
> preferences in how individuals make decisions and perceive the world?

Myers and Briggs

Björn Lundin

Mar 24, 2016, 11:50:43 AM3/24/16
On 2016-03-24 00:58, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which chemical element with the atomic number 84 did Marie Curie name after the land of her birth?
Polonium
> 2 The cities of Ceuta and Melilla are Spanish enclaves that share a land border with which country?
Algeria
> 3 What four-word warning is the internet-related acronym 'NSFW' short for?
> 4 Nicknamed 'The Teflon Don', which mobster (1940-2002) became head of New York’s Gambino crime family upon the murder of Paul Castellano in 1985?
> 5 Which French actress portrayed Julie Vignon de Courcy in Krzysztof Kieślowski's 'Three Colors' trilogy? She was a main character in 'Blue', and a minor character in the other two.
> 6 Which video games company's releases include 'Need for Speed', 'FIFA World Cup', 'Command and Conquer' and 'The Sims'?
EA - Electronic Arts
> 7 Which European country's internet domain is .ch?
Schwitzerland

> 8 Despite some popular success, which Scotsman (1825-1902) is widely regarded by critics as the worst poet in the history of English literature?
The flying scotsman :-) ?
> 9 The Minoan civilisation was based on which Mediterranean island?
Crete
> 10 First published in 1962, which two social scientists developed the first psychometric questionnaire designed to measure psychological preferences in how individuals make decisions and perceive the world?
>
> cheers,
> calvin

Björn

Peter Smyth

Mar 24, 2016, 2:40:01 PM3/24/16
Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which chemical element with the atomic number 84 did Marie Curie
> name after the land of her birth?
Polonium
> 2 The cities of Ceuta and Melilla are Spanish enclaves that share a
> land border with which country?
Morocco
> 3 What four-word warning is the internet-related acronym 'NSFW' short
> for?
Not Safe For Work
> 4 Nicknamed 'The Teflon Don', which mobster (1940-2002) became head
> of New York’s Gambino crime family upon the murder of Paul Castellano
> in 1985?
John Gotti
> 5 Which French actress portrayed Julie Vignon de Courcy in Krzysztof
> Kieślowski's 'Three Colors' trilogy? She was a main character in
> 'Blue', and a minor character in the other two.
>
> 6 Which video games company's releases include 'Need for Speed',
> 'FIFA World Cup', 'Command and Conquer' and 'The Sims'?
EA
> 7 Which European country's internet domain is .ch?
Switzerland
> 8 Despite some popular success, which Scotsman (1825-1902) is widely
> regarded by critics as the worst poet in the history of English
> literature?
William McGonagall
> 9 The Minoan civilisation was based on which Mediterranean island?
Crete
> 10 First published in 1962, which two social scientists developed the
> first psychometric questionnaire designed to measure psychological
> preferences in how individuals make decisions and perceive the world?

Peter Smyth

Pete

Mar 25, 2016, 1:27:26 PM3/25/16
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 Which chemical element with the atomic number 84 did Marie Curie
> name after the land of her birth?

Gallium

> 2 The cities of Ceuta and
> Melilla are Spanish enclaves that share a land border with which
> country?

Morocco

> 3 What four-word warning is the internet-related acronym
> 'NSFW' short for?

Not Safe For Work

> 4 Nicknamed 'The Teflon Don', which mobster
> (1940-2002) became head of New York’s Gambino crime family upon the
> murder of Paul Castellano in 1985?

John Gotti

> 5 Which French actress
> portrayed Julie Vignon de Courcy in Krzysztof Kieślowski's 'Three
> Colors' trilogy? She was a main character in 'Blue', and a minor
> character in the other two.

Binoche

> 6 Which video games company's releases
> include 'Need for Speed', 'FIFA World Cup', 'Command and Conquer' and
> 'The Sims'?

EA

> 7 Which European country's internet domain is .ch?

Switzerland

> 8 Despite some popular success, which Scotsman (1825-1902) is
> widely regarded by critics as the worst poet in the history of English
> literature?

Burns

> 9 The Minoan civilisation was based on which Mediterranean island?

Malta

> 10 First published in 1962, which two social
> scientists developed the first psychometric questionnaire designed to
> measure psychological preferences in how individuals make decisions
> and perceive the world?

Masters and Johnson

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Calvin

Mar 30, 2016, 7:57:40 PM3/30/16
On Thursday, March 24, 2016 at 9:58:47 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which chemical element with the atomic number 84 did Marie Curie name after the land of her birth?

Polonium

> 2 The cities of Ceuta and Melilla are Spanish enclaves that share a land border with which country?

Morocco
And thanks to those posters who recalled my ignorance of this fact some quizzes back :-)

> 3 What four-word warning is the internet-related acronym 'NSFW' short for?

Not Safe For Word

> 4 Nicknamed 'The Teflon Don', which mobster (1940-2002) became head of New York’s Gambino crime family upon the murder of Paul Castellano in 1985?

John Gotti

> 5 Which French actress portrayed Julie Vignon de Courcy in Krzysztof Kieślowski's 'Three Colors' trilogy? She was a main character in 'Blue', and a minor character in the other two.

Juliet Binoche

> 6 Which video games company's releases include 'Need for Speed', 'FIFA World Cup', 'Command and Conquer' and 'The Sims'?

Electronic Arts / EA

> 7 Which European country's internet domain is .ch?

Switzerland

> 8 Despite some popular success, which Scotsman (1825-1902) is widely regarded by critics as the worst poet in the history of English literature?

William McGonagall
I was tempted to disqualify Mark for the use of reference material :-)

> 9 The Minoan civilisation was based on which Mediterranean island?

Crete

> 10 First published in 1962, which two social scientists developed the first psychometric questionnaire designed to measure psychological preferences in how individuals make decisions and perceive the world?

Katharine Briggs and Isabel Myers (nee Briggs)

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 432
1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 9 54 Gareth Owen
1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 9 55 Mark Brader
1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 8 50 Peter Smyth
1 0 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 1 7 47 Marc Dashevsky
0 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 6 35 Pete Gayde
1 1 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 6 42 Dan Tilque
1 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 6 43 Bruce Bowler
1 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 4 29 Bjorn Lundin
1 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 4 30 Erland S
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
8 5 7 6 4 4 9 3 8 5 59 66%

Congrats Gareth who pips Mark by the smallest possible margin.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Mar 30, 2016, 9:45:57 PM3/30/16
"Calvin":
> > 3 What four-word warning is the internet-related acronym 'NSFW' short for?
>
> Not Safe For Word

(Grink)
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "One thing that surprises you about this business
m...@vex.net | is the surprises." -- Tim Baker