QFTCIMM16 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: TO sculptures, veterinary

Mark Brader

Feb 25, 2017, 11:18:44 PM2/25/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-14,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 8, Round 4 - Canadiana Arts - Toronto Sculptures

Toronto is blessed with a number of interesting sculptural pieces
and installations in publicly accessible locations. We pass them
every day. Here are 10 questions about those works. Please see:

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/8-4/TO/art.pdf

I've rearranged the round in order by picture. There are 5 decoys,
which are in sequence with the rest. For those I will give you
the location, and if you like, you can name either the artist or
the title for fun, but for no points.

1. Picture A (decoy), at Regis College, U of T.

2. Picture B (decoy), at Commerce Court.

3. Picture C. Name the *subject* of this piece, by Ruth Abernethy,
which is located outside 250 Front St. W.

4. Picture D (decoy), at the Shangri-La Hotel.

5. Picture E. "Muskox" by Hilary Clark Cole. Name the retail
clothing flagship *store* on Don Mills Rd. where you can find
this beauty made of weathered steel.

6. Picture F. In which *neighborhood* would you find the
appropriately named "Still Dancing" by Dennis Oppenheim?

7. Picture G. The Rogers Centre is the site of this 2-part work,
"The Audience". Name the multi-disciplinary *artist*, best
known for those geese in the Eaton Centre.

8. Picture H (decoy), at the TD Centre.

9. Picture I. Provide the *alternate name* of this work by Henry
Moore, "Three Way Piece Number Two".

10. Picture J (decoy), at 10 Yonge St.

11. Picture K. "Monument to the War of 1812". Name the
best-selling author and *designer* of this work, who is better
known for his red canoe sculpture at Canoe Landing Park.

12. Picture L. "Community" by Kirk Newman. Name the *company*
whose corporate headquarters host this piece.

13. Picture M. "Remembered Sustenance" by Cynthia Short. Name the
*city facility* which hosts this intriguing sculptural
installation.

14. Picture N. Name *either of the streets* at whose intersection
you can find Stephen Cruise's sculpture, "Uniform Stack /
Measure".

15. Picture O. In front of which *building* is the appropriately
named "Searchlight Spotlight Starlight" by John McEwen?

* Game 8, Round 6 - Science - Veterinary Science and Animal Health

1. For centuries in Britain, "farriers" were called upon for
their horse-doctoring skills and eventually developed the
first professional organization for the treatment of animals.
What do farriers do that would not be a vet's job today?

2. What do gibs, capons, lapins, and geldings have in common?

3. Onychectomy ["oh-nick-EK-to-mee"] is a procedure that's banned
in a number of countries. When it is performed, it's generally
performed on cats. What is is?

4. Fluoxetine is FDA-approved for veterinary use. This SSRI is
administered to treat separation anxiety and aggression in dogs.
What trademark name is fluoxetine better known by when taken
by humans?

5. According to a 2011 survey by the "Canadian Veterinary Journal",
sodium pentobarbital was the most common drug used by
veterinarians for what?

6. Humans can contract bartonellosis from their cats, resulting
in fever, enlarged painful lymph nodes, and local inflammation.
Its more common name describes the means of transmission --
and is also the name of a Ted Nugent song. Give that title.

7. This viral disease affects cloven-hoofed animals, causing
high fever, blisters, and lameness. An outbreak in 2001 in
Britain resulted in the slaughter of many animals nationwide,
postponement of a general election, and cancellation of a number
of sporting events. What disease?

8. Theobromine is a toxin easily metabolized by humans but
potentially fatal to dogs. In what favorite human treat would
you find theobromine?

9. Purebreds suffer higher rates of certain diseases than
mixed breeds. Large breeds such as Newfoundlands, Great Danes,
and St. Bernards are especially prone to a misalignment between
the femoral head and the acetabulum, leading to osteoarthritis.
What is this condition called?

10. Bordetella bronchiseptica is highly contagious among dogs.
What is it better known as?

--
Mark Brader | "I'm surprised there aren't laws about this in the USA..."
m...@vex.net | "Of course there are laws about this in the USA.
| --Rob Bannister and Evan Kirshenbaum

Dan Blum

Feb 25, 2017, 11:43:19 PM2/25/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 4 - Canadiana Arts - Toronto Sculptures

> 9. Picture I. Provide the *alternate name* of this work by Henry
> Moore, "Three Way Piece Number Two".

The Plug

> * Game 8, Round 6 - Science - Veterinary Science and Animal Health

> 1. For centuries in Britain, "farriers" were called upon for
> their horse-doctoring skills and eventually developed the
> first professional organization for the treatment of animals.
> What do farriers do that would not be a vet's job today?

shoe horses

> 2. What do gibs, capons, lapins, and geldings have in common?

they are castrated

> 3. Onychectomy ["oh-nick-EK-to-mee"] is a procedure that's banned
> in a number of countries. When it is performed, it's generally
> performed on cats. What is is?

removal of claws

> 4. Fluoxetine is FDA-approved for veterinary use. This SSRI is
> administered to treat separation anxiety and aggression in dogs.
> What trademark name is fluoxetine better known by when taken
> by humans?

Prozac; Xanax

> 5. According to a 2011 survey by the "Canadian Veterinary Journal",
> sodium pentobarbital was the most common drug used by
> veterinarians for what?

killing animals

> 6. Humans can contract bartonellosis from their cats, resulting
> in fever, enlarged painful lymph nodes, and local inflammation.
> Its more common name describes the means of transmission --
> and is also the name of a Ted Nugent song. Give that title.

Cat Scratch Fever

> 7. This viral disease affects cloven-hoofed animals, causing
> high fever, blisters, and lameness. An outbreak in 2001 in
> Britain resulted in the slaughter of many animals nationwide,
> postponement of a general election, and cancellation of a number
> of sporting events. What disease?

foot and mouth disease

> 8. Theobromine is a toxin easily metabolized by humans but
> potentially fatal to dogs. In what favorite human treat would
> you find theobromine?

chocolate

> 9. Purebreds suffer higher rates of certain diseases than
> mixed breeds. Large breeds such as Newfoundlands, Great Danes,
> and St. Bernards are especially prone to a misalignment between
> the femoral head and the acetabulum, leading to osteoarthritis.
> What is this condition called?

hip dysplasia

> 10. Bordetella bronchiseptica is highly contagious among dogs.
> What is it better known as?

heartworm

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Peter Smyth

Feb 26, 2017, 4:44:09 AM2/26/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 6 - Science - Veterinary Science and Animal Health
>
> 1. For centuries in Britain, "farriers" were called upon for
> their horse-doctoring skills and eventually developed the
> first professional organization for the treatment of animals.
> What do farriers do that would not be a vet's job today?
Shoe horses
> 2. What do gibs, capons, lapins, and geldings have in common?
They have been castrated
> 3. Onychectomy ["oh-nick-EK-to-mee"] is a procedure that's banned
> in a number of countries. When it is performed, it's generally
> performed on cats. What is is?
Tail removal
> 4. Fluoxetine is FDA-approved for veterinary use. This SSRI is
> administered to treat separation anxiety and aggression in dogs.
> What trademark name is fluoxetine better known by when taken
> by humans?
Prozac
> 5. According to a 2011 survey by the "Canadian Veterinary Journal",
> sodium pentobarbital was the most common drug used by
> veterinarians for what?
Euthanasia
> 6. Humans can contract bartonellosis from their cats, resulting
> in fever, enlarged painful lymph nodes, and local inflammation.
> Its more common name describes the means of transmission --
> and is also the name of a Ted Nugent song. Give that title.
>
> 7. This viral disease affects cloven-hoofed animals, causing
> high fever, blisters, and lameness. An outbreak in 2001 in
> Britain resulted in the slaughter of many animals nationwide,
> postponement of a general election, and cancellation of a number
> of sporting events. What disease?
Foot and Mouth
> 8. Theobromine is a toxin easily metabolized by humans but
> potentially fatal to dogs. In what favorite human treat would
> you find theobromine?
Chocolate
> 9. Purebreds suffer higher rates of certain diseases than
> mixed breeds. Large breeds such as Newfoundlands, Great Danes,
> and St. Bernards are especially prone to a misalignment between
> the femoral head and the acetabulum, leading to osteoarthritis.
> What is this condition called?
>
> 10. Bordetella bronchiseptica is highly contagious among dogs.
> What is it better known as?

Peter Smyth

Don Piven

Feb 26, 2017, 6:36:15 AM2/26/17
Shoeing horses.

> 2. What do gibs, capons, lapins, and geldings have in common?

Castration.

> 3. Onychectomy ["oh-nick-EK-to-mee"] is a procedure that's banned
> in a number of countries. When it is performed, it's generally
> performed on cats. What is is?

Declawing.

> 4. Fluoxetine is FDA-approved for veterinary use. This SSRI is
> administered to treat separation anxiety and aggression in dogs.
> What trademark name is fluoxetine better known by when taken
> by humans?

Prozac.

> 5. According to a 2011 survey by the "Canadian Veterinary Journal",
> sodium pentobarbital was the most common drug used by
> veterinarians for what?

Euthanasia.

> 6. Humans can contract bartonellosis from their cats, resulting
> in fever, enlarged painful lymph nodes, and local inflammation.
> Its more common name describes the means of transmission --
> and is also the name of a Ted Nugent song. Give that title.

Cat Scratch Fever.

> 7. This viral disease affects cloven-hoofed animals, causing
> high fever, blisters, and lameness. An outbreak in 2001 in
> Britain resulted in the slaughter of many animals nationwide,
> postponement of a general election, and cancellation of a number
> of sporting events. What disease?

Hoof-and-mouth.

> 8. Theobromine is a toxin easily metabolized by humans but
> potentially fatal to dogs. In what favorite human treat would
> you find theobromine?

Chocolate.

> 9. Purebreds suffer higher rates of certain diseases than
> mixed breeds. Large breeds such as Newfoundlands, Great Danes,
> and St. Bernards are especially prone to a misalignment between
> the femoral head and the acetabulum, leading to osteoarthritis.
> What is this condition called?

Dysplasia.

> 10. Bordetella bronchiseptica is highly contagious among dogs.
> What is it better known as?

Kennel cough.

Calvin

Feb 26, 2017, 11:52:51 PM2/26/17
On Sunday, February 26, 2017 at 2:18:44 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 4 - Canadiana Arts - Toronto Sculptures

Pass

> * Game 8, Round 6 - Science - Veterinary Science and Animal Health
>
> 1. For centuries in Britain, "farriers" were called upon for
> their horse-doctoring skills and eventually developed the
> first professional organization for the treatment of animals.
> What do farriers do that would not be a vet's job today?

Shoe horses

> 2. What do gibs, capons, lapins, and geldings have in common?

Castration
Shouldn't that be *not* have in common?

> 3. Onychectomy ["oh-nick-EK-to-mee"] is a procedure that's banned
> in a number of countries. When it is performed, it's generally
> performed on cats. What is is?
>
> 4. Fluoxetine is FDA-approved for veterinary use. This SSRI is
> administered to treat separation anxiety and aggression in dogs.
> What trademark name is fluoxetine better known by when taken
> by humans?

Ritalin?

> 5. According to a 2011 survey by the "Canadian Veterinary Journal",
> sodium pentobarbital was the most common drug used by
> veterinarians for what?

Fleas, ticks

> 6. Humans can contract bartonellosis from their cats, resulting
> in fever, enlarged painful lymph nodes, and local inflammation.
> Its more common name describes the means of transmission --
> and is also the name of a Ted Nugent song. Give that title.
>
> 7. This viral disease affects cloven-hoofed animals, causing
> high fever, blisters, and lameness. An outbreak in 2001 in
> Britain resulted in the slaughter of many animals nationwide,
> postponement of a general election, and cancellation of a number
> of sporting events. What disease?

Foot and mouth

> 8. Theobromine is a toxin easily metabolized by humans but
> potentially fatal to dogs. In what favorite human treat would
> you find theobromine?

Chocolate

> 9. Purebreds suffer higher rates of certain diseases than
> mixed breeds. Large breeds such as Newfoundlands, Great Danes,
> and St. Bernards are especially prone to a misalignment between
> the femoral head and the acetabulum, leading to osteoarthritis.
> What is this condition called?

Hip displacement

> 10. Bordetella bronchiseptica is highly contagious among dogs.
> What is it better known as?

Rabies?

cheers,
calvin

Joshua Kreitzer

Feb 27, 2017, 12:07:41 AM2/27/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:HZWdnTWSz_SCyi_FnZ2dnUU7-
dXN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 8, Round 4 - Canadiana Arts - Toronto Sculptures
>
> Toronto is blessed with a number of interesting sculptural pieces
> and installations in publicly accessible locations. We pass them
> every day. Here are 10 questions about those works. Please see:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/8-4/TO/art.pdf
>
> 3. Picture C. Name the *subject* of this piece, by Ruth Abernethy,
> which is located outside 250 Front St. W.

Leonard Cohen

> 5. Picture E. "Muskox" by Hilary Clark Cole. Name the retail
> clothing flagship *store* on Don Mills Rd. where you can find
> this beauty made of weathered steel.

Eaton's; The Bay

> 9. Picture I. Provide the *alternate name* of this work by Henry
> Moore, "Three Way Piece Number Two".

"Rhinoceros"

> * Game 8, Round 6 - Science - Veterinary Science and Animal Health
>
> 1. For centuries in Britain, "farriers" were called upon for
> their horse-doctoring skills and eventually developed the
> first professional organization for the treatment of animals.
> What do farriers do that would not be a vet's job today?

shoe horses

> 2. What do gibs, capons, lapins, and geldings have in common?

they have all been neutered

> 3. Onychectomy ["oh-nick-EK-to-mee"] is a procedure that's banned
> in a number of countries. When it is performed, it's generally
> performed on cats. What is is?

removal of claws; removal of tail

> 4. Fluoxetine is FDA-approved for veterinary use. This SSRI is
> administered to treat separation anxiety and aggression in dogs.
> What trademark name is fluoxetine better known by when taken
> by humans?

Adderal

> 6. Humans can contract bartonellosis from their cats, resulting
> in fever, enlarged painful lymph nodes, and local inflammation.
> Its more common name describes the means of transmission --
> and is also the name of a Ted Nugent song. Give that title.

cat scratch fever

> 7. This viral disease affects cloven-hoofed animals, causing
> high fever, blisters, and lameness. An outbreak in 2001 in
> Britain resulted in the slaughter of many animals nationwide,
> postponement of a general election, and cancellation of a number
> of sporting events. What disease?

mad cow disease

> 8. Theobromine is a toxin easily metabolized by humans but
> potentially fatal to dogs. In what favorite human treat would
> you find theobromine?

chocolate

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

Feb 27, 2017, 12:27:35 AM2/27/17
shoe horses

> 2. What do gibs, capons, lapins, and geldings have in common?

castrated

> 3. Onychectomy ["oh-nick-EK-to-mee"] is a procedure that's banned
> in a number of countries. When it is performed, it's generally
> performed on cats. What is is?

declawing

> 4. Fluoxetine is FDA-approved for veterinary use. This SSRI is
> administered to treat separation anxiety and aggression in dogs.
> What trademark name is fluoxetine better known by when taken
> by humans?

Prozac

> 5. According to a 2011 survey by the "Canadian Veterinary Journal",
> sodium pentobarbital was the most common drug used by
> veterinarians for what?

as a sedative

> 6. Humans can contract bartonellosis from their cats, resulting
> in fever, enlarged painful lymph nodes, and local inflammation.
> Its more common name describes the means of transmission --
> and is also the name of a Ted Nugent song. Give that title.

cat scratch fever

> 7. This viral disease affects cloven-hoofed animals, causing
> high fever, blisters, and lameness. An outbreak in 2001 in
> Britain resulted in the slaughter of many animals nationwide,
> postponement of a general election, and cancellation of a number
> of sporting events. What disease?

hoof-and-mouth disease

> 8. Theobromine is a toxin easily metabolized by humans but
> potentially fatal to dogs. In what favorite human treat would
> you find theobromine?

chocolate

--
Dan Tilque

Marc Dashevsky

Feb 27, 2017, 5:43:58 AM2/27/17
In article <HZWdnTWSz_SCyi_F...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 8, Round 6 - Science - Veterinary Science and Animal Health
>
> 1. For centuries in Britain, "farriers" were called upon for
> their horse-doctoring skills and eventually developed the
> first professional organization for the treatment of animals.
> What do farriers do that would not be a vet's job today?
shoe horses

> 2. What do gibs, capons, lapins, and geldings have in common?
castration

> 3. Onychectomy ["oh-nick-EK-to-mee"] is a procedure that's banned
> in a number of countries. When it is performed, it's generally
> performed on cats. What is is?
declawing

> 4. Fluoxetine is FDA-approved for veterinary use. This SSRI is
> administered to treat separation anxiety and aggression in dogs.
> What trademark name is fluoxetine better known by when taken
> by humans?
Prozac

> 5. According to a 2011 survey by the "Canadian Veterinary Journal",
> sodium pentobarbital was the most common drug used by
> veterinarians for what?
euthanasia

> 6. Humans can contract bartonellosis from their cats, resulting
> in fever, enlarged painful lymph nodes, and local inflammation.
> Its more common name describes the means of transmission --
> and is also the name of a Ted Nugent song. Give that title.
cat scratch fever

> 7. This viral disease affects cloven-hoofed animals, causing
> high fever, blisters, and lameness. An outbreak in 2001 in
> Britain resulted in the slaughter of many animals nationwide,
> postponement of a general election, and cancellation of a number
> of sporting events. What disease?
hoof and mouth disease

> 8. Theobromine is a toxin easily metabolized by humans but
> potentially fatal to dogs. In what favorite human treat would
> you find theobromine?
chocolate

> 9. Purebreds suffer higher rates of certain diseases than
> mixed breeds. Large breeds such as Newfoundlands, Great Danes,
> and St. Bernards are especially prone to a misalignment between
> the femoral head and the acetabulum, leading to osteoarthritis.
> What is this condition called?
hip dysplasia

> 10. Bordetella bronchiseptica is highly contagious among dogs.
> What is it better known as?
kennel cough

Bruce

Feb 27, 2017, 1:12:40 PM2/27/17
On Sat, 25 Feb 2017 22:18:39 -0600, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-14, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> based only on your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the
> questions and place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been
> retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2016-11-26
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 8, Round 4 - Canadiana Arts - Toronto Sculptures

Nyet.

> * Game 8, Round 6 - Science - Veterinary Science and Animal Health
>
> 1. For centuries in Britain, "farriers" were called upon for
> their horse-doctoring skills and eventually developed the first
> professional organization for the treatment of animals. What do
> farriers do that would not be a vet's job today?

Shoe horses

> 2. What do gibs, capons, lapins, and geldings have in common?

They've been castrated

> 3. Onychectomy ["oh-nick-EK-to-mee"] is a procedure that's banned
> in a number of countries. When it is performed, it's generally
> performed on cats. What is is?

Declawing

> 4. Fluoxetine is FDA-approved for veterinary use. This SSRI is
> administered to treat separation anxiety and aggression in dogs.
> What trademark name is fluoxetine better known by when taken by
> humans?

Prozac

> 5. According to a 2011 survey by the "Canadian Veterinary Journal",
> sodium pentobarbital was the most common drug used by veterinarians
> for what?

Euthanasia

> 6. Humans can contract bartonellosis from their cats, resulting
> in fever, enlarged painful lymph nodes, and local inflammation. Its
> more common name describes the means of transmission --
> and is also the name of a Ted Nugent song. Give that title.

Cat scratch fever

> 7. This viral disease affects cloven-hoofed animals, causing
> high fever, blisters, and lameness. An outbreak in 2001 in Britain
> resulted in the slaughter of many animals nationwide, postponement of
> a general election, and cancellation of a number of sporting events.
> What disease?

hoof and mouth disease

> 8. Theobromine is a toxin easily metabolized by humans but
> potentially fatal to dogs. In what favorite human treat would you
> find theobromine?

Chocolate

> 9. Purebreds suffer higher rates of certain diseases than
> mixed breeds. Large breeds such as Newfoundlands, Great Danes, and
> St. Bernards are especially prone to a misalignment between the
> femoral head and the acetabulum, leading to osteoarthritis. What is
> this condition called?

Hip dysplasia

> 10. Bordetella bronchiseptica is highly contagious among dogs.
> What is it better known as?

Kennel Cough

Pete Gayde

Feb 28, 2017, 10:59:12 AM2/28/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:HZWdnTWSz_SCyi_FnZ2dnUU7-
dXN...@giganews.com:

Make horse shoes

> 2. What do gibs, capons, lapins, and geldings have in common?

Neutered

> 3. Onychectomy ["oh-nick-EK-to-mee"] is a procedure that's banned
> in a number of countries. When it is performed, it's generally
> performed on cats. What is is?

Declawing

> 4. Fluoxetine is FDA-approved for veterinary use. This SSRI is
> administered to treat separation anxiety and aggression in dogs.
> What trademark name is fluoxetine better known by when taken
> by humans?

Adderall

> 5. According to a 2011 survey by the "Canadian Veterinary Journal",
> sodium pentobarbital was the most common drug used by
> veterinarians for what?

Putting down animals

> 6. Humans can contract bartonellosis from their cats, resulting
> in fever, enlarged painful lymph nodes, and local inflammation.
> Its more common name describes the means of transmission --
> and is also the name of a Ted Nugent song. Give that title.

Cat Scratch Fever

> 7. This viral disease affects cloven-hoofed animals, causing
> high fever, blisters, and lameness. An outbreak in 2001 in
> Britain resulted in the slaughter of many animals nationwide,
> postponement of a general election, and cancellation of a number
> of sporting events. What disease?

Mad cow

> 8. Theobromine is a toxin easily metabolized by humans but
> potentially fatal to dogs. In what favorite human treat would
> you find theobromine?

Chocolate

> 9. Purebreds suffer higher rates of certain diseases than
> mixed breeds. Large breeds such as Newfoundlands, Great Danes,
> and St. Bernards are especially prone to a misalignment between
> the femoral head and the acetabulum, leading to osteoarthritis.
> What is this condition called?

Dysplasia

> 10. Bordetella bronchiseptica is highly contagious among dogs.
> What is it better known as?

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Mar 1, 2017, 1:08:51 AM3/1/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-14,
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 8, Round 4 - Canadiana Arts - Toronto Sculptures

> Toronto is blessed with a number of interesting sculptural pieces
> and installations in publicly accessible locations. We pass them
> every day. Here are 10 questions about those works. Please see:

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/8-4/TO/art.pdf

> I've rearranged the round in order by picture. There are 5 decoys,
> which are in sequence with the rest. For those I will give you
> the location, and if you like, you can name either the artist or
> the title for fun, but for no points.

> 1. Picture A (decoy), at Regis College, U of T.

"Jesus the Homeless" by Timothy Schmalz.

> 2. Picture B (decoy), at Commerce Court.

"Tembo, Mother of Elephants" by Derrick Stephan Hudson.

> 3. Picture C. Name the *subject* of this piece, by Ruth Abernethy,
> which is located outside 250 Front St. W.

Glenn Gould.

> 4. Picture D (decoy), at the Shangri-La Hotel.

"Rising" by Zhang Huan (surname is Zhang).

> 5. Picture E. "Muskox" by Hilary Clark Cole. Name the retail
> clothing flagship *store* on Don Mills Rd. where you can find
> this beauty made of weathered steel.

Tilley Endurables.

> 6. Picture F. In which *neighborhood* would you find the
> appropriately named "Still Dancing" by Dennis Oppenheim?

Distillery District.

> 7. Picture G. The Rogers Centre is the site of this 2-part work,
> "The Audience". Name the multi-disciplinary *artist*, best
> known for those geese in the Eaton Centre.

Michael Snow.

> 8. Picture H (decoy), at the TD Centre.

"The Pasture" by Joe Fafard.

> 9. Picture I. Provide the *alternate name* of this work by Henry
> Moore, "Three Way Piece Number Two".

"The Archer".

> 10. Picture J (decoy), at 10 Yonge St.

"Between the Eyes" by Richard Deacon.

> 11. Picture K. "Monument to the War of 1812". Name the
> best-selling author and *designer* of this work, who is better
> known for his red canoe sculpture at Canoe Landing Park.

Douglas Coupland.

> 12. Picture L. "Community" by Kirk Newman. Name the *company*
> whose corporate headquarters host this piece.

Manulife.

> 13. Picture M. "Remembered Sustenance" by Cynthia Short. Name the
> *city facility* which hosts this intriguing sculptural
> installation.

Metro Hall.

> 14. Picture N. Name *either of the streets* at whose intersection
> you can find Stephen Cruise's sculpture, "Uniform Stack /
> Measure".

Richmond St., Spadina Av.

> 15. Picture O. In front of which *building* is the appropriately
> named "Searchlight Spotlight Starlight" by John McEwen?

Air Canada Centre (accepting ACC).

Since nobody scored on this round, it never happened and this game
will now be scored on your best 5 out of 7 rounds.

> * Game 8, Round 6 - Science - Veterinary Science and Animal Health

This was the easiest round in the original game and the 2nd-easiest
of the entire season.

> 1. For centuries in Britain, "farriers" were called upon for
> their horse-doctoring skills and eventually developed the
> first professional organization for the treatment of animals.
> What do farriers do that would not be a vet's job today?

Horseshoeing. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Peter, Don, Calvin,
Joshua, Dan Tilque, Marc, Bruce, and Pete.

> 2. What do gibs, capons, lapins, and geldings have in common?

They've been neutered (castrated). (Respectively: cat, chicken,
rabbit, horse/donkey.) 4 for everyone.

> 3. Onychectomy ["oh-nick-EK-to-mee"] is a procedure that's banned
> in a number of countries. When it is performed, it's generally
> performed on cats. What is is?

Declawing. 4 for Dan Blum, Don, Dan Tilque, Marc, Bruce, and Pete.
3 for Joshua.

> 4. Fluoxetine is FDA-approved for veterinary use. This SSRI is
> administered to treat separation anxiety and aggression in dogs.
> What trademark name is fluoxetine better known by when taken
> by humans?

Prozac. (Also Prozep or Oxactin.) 4 for Peter, Don, Dan Tilque,
Marc, and Bruce. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 5. According to a 2011 survey by the "Canadian Veterinary Journal",
> sodium pentobarbital was the most common drug used by
> veterinarians for what?

Euthanasia. 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Don, Marc, Bruce, and Pete.

> 6. Humans can contract bartonellosis from their cats, resulting
> in fever, enlarged painful lymph nodes, and local inflammation.
> Its more common name describes the means of transmission --
> and is also the name of a Ted Nugent song. Give that title.

"Cat Scratch Fever". 4 for Dan Blum, Don, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Marc,
Bruce, and Pete.

> 7. This viral disease affects cloven-hoofed animals, causing
> high fever, blisters, and lameness. An outbreak in 2001 in
> Britain resulted in the slaughter of many animals nationwide,
> postponement of a general election, and cancellation of a number
> of sporting events. What disease?

Foot (or hoof) and mouth disease. 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Don,
Calvin, Dan Tilque, Marc, and Bruce.

> 8. Theobromine is a toxin easily metabolized by humans but
> potentially fatal to dogs. In what favorite human treat would
> you find theobromine?

Chocolate. (Also tea, cola, and acai berries.) 4 for everyone.

> 9. Purebreds suffer higher rates of certain diseases than
> mixed breeds. Large breeds such as Newfoundlands, Great Danes,
> and St. Bernards are especially prone to a misalignment between
> the femoral head and the acetabulum, leading to osteoarthritis.
> What is this condition called?

Hip dysplasia. 4 for Dan Blum, Don, Dan Tilque, Marc, Bruce,
and Pete.

> 10. Bordetella bronchiseptica is highly contagious among dogs.
> What is it better known as?

Kennel cough. 4 for Don, Marc, and Bruce.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2 3 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Geo Spo Sci
Don Piven 36 19 40 95
Pete Gayde 35 26 28 89
Dan Tilque 32 16 32 80
Bruce Bowler 16 24 40 80
"Calvin" 35 23 16 74
Joshua Kreitzer 34 20 19 73
Dan Blum 28 6 35 69
Peter Smyth 20 24 24 68
Erland Sommarskog 36 19 -- 55
Marc Dashevsky -- -- 40 40

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "So *you* say." --Toddy Beamish
m...@vex.net | (H.G. Wells, "The Man Who Could Work Miracles")