Calvin's Quiz #514

Calvin

Jan 15, 2018, 11:31:43 PM1/15/18

1 The French sandwich 'croque-monsieur' is traditionally filled with which two foodstuffs?
2 What is the legal term for a document that supplements, explains, modifies or revokes a will?
3 Which planet takes approximately 165 years to orbit the sun?
4 Aibohphobia, appropriately, is the fear of what?
5 Michael Caine starred twice in which film, directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz in 1972, and by Kenneth Brannagh in 2007? He portrayed the younger man in the first film, and the older in the second.
6 Which hit song of 1965 includes the following line: "When you're alone and life is making you lonely"?
7 Lent traditionally lasts for how many days?
8 The main hub for the Etihad airline is located in which city?
9 The Miller Brewing Company is headquartered in which US city?
10 In which classic western folk song do the deer and the antelope roam?

cheers,
calvin

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 16, 2018, 2:35:24 AM1/16/18
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 The French sandwich 'croque-monsieur' is traditionally filled with
> which two foodstuffs?

Ham and mustard

> 3 Which planet takes approximately 165 years to orbit the sun?

Uranus

> 7 Lent traditionally lasts for how many days?

40

> 8 The main hub for the Etihad airline is located in which city?

Dubai

> 9 The Miller Brewing Company is headquartered in which US city?

Milwaukee

Dan Tilque

Jan 16, 2018, 5:13:49 AM1/16/18
Calvin wrote:
> 1 The French sandwich 'croque-monsieur' is traditionally filled with which two foodstuffs?
> 2 What is the legal term for a document that supplements, explains, modifies or revokes a will?

codicil

> 3 Which planet takes approximately 165 years to orbit the sun?

Neptune

> 4 Aibohphobia, appropriately, is the fear of what?

palindromes

> 5 Michael Caine starred twice in which film, directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz in 1972, and by Kenneth Brannagh in 2007? He portrayed the younger man in the first film, and the older in the second.
> 6 Which hit song of 1965 includes the following line: "When you're alone and life is making you lonely"?
> 7 Lent traditionally lasts for how many days?

40

> 8 The main hub for the Etihad airline is located in which city?

Addis Ababa

> 9 The Miller Brewing Company is headquartered in which US city?

Milwaukee

> 10 In which classic western folk song do the deer and the antelope roam?

Home on the Range

(Although they actually "play" in that song, so perhaps it's wrong.)

--
Dan Tilque

Peter Smyth

Jan 16, 2018, 6:07:26 AM1/16/18
Calvin wrote:

> 1 The French sandwich 'croque-monsieur' is traditionally filled with which two foodstuffs?
Cheese and Ham
> 2 What is the legal term for a document that supplements, explains, modifies or revokes a will?
Codicil
> 3 Which planet takes approximately 165 years to orbit the sun?
Neptune
> 4 Aibohphobia, appropriately, is the fear of what?
> 5 Michael Caine starred twice in which film, directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz in 1972, and by Kenneth Brannagh in 2007? He portrayed the younger man in the first film, and the older in the second.
> 6 Which hit song of 1965 includes the following line: "When you're alone and life is making you lonely"?
Downtown
> 7 Lent traditionally lasts for how many days?
40
> 8 The main hub for the Etihad airline is located in which city?
Dubai
> 9 The Miller Brewing Company is headquartered in which US city?
Chicago
> 10 In which classic western folk song do the deer and the antelope roam?
>

> cheers,
> calvin

Peter Smyth

Mark Brader

Jan 16, 2018, 6:10:14 AM1/16/18
"Calvin":
> 1 The French sandwich 'croque-monsieur' is traditionally filled
> with which two foodstuffs?

Ham and cheese.

> 2 What is the legal term for a document that supplements,
> explains, modifies or revokes a will?

Codicil.

> 3 Which planet takes approximately 165 years to orbit the sun?

Neptune.

> 4 Aibohphobia, appropriately, is the fear of what?

Palindromesemordnilap. Quake in your boots!

> 5 Michael Caine starred twice in which film, directed by Joseph
> L. Mankiewicz in 1972, and by Kenneth Brannagh in 2007? He
> portrayed the younger man in the first film, and the older in
> the second.

"Sleuth".

> 6 Which hit song of 1965 includes the following line: "When
> you're alone and life is making you lonely"?

"Downtown".

> 7 Lent traditionally lasts for how many days?

40.

> 8 The main hub for the Etihad airline is located in which city?

Abu Dhabi?

> 9 The Miller Brewing Company is headquartered in which US city?

Milwaukee, I suppose.

> 10 In which classic western folk song do the deer and the
> antelope roam?

"Home on the Range".
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "It's the almost correct solutions that
m...@vex.net are the most dangerous..." -- Dave Eisen

Marc Dashevsky

Jan 16, 2018, 9:29:40 AM1/16/18
In article <c3a7fdc5-db37-4c76...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> 1 The French sandwich 'croque-monsieur' is traditionally filled with which two foodstuffs?
> 2 What is the legal term for a document that supplements, explains, modifies or revokes a will?
codicil

> 3 Which planet takes approximately 165 years to orbit the sun?
Neptune

> 4 Aibohphobia, appropriately, is the fear of what?
palindromes

> 5 Michael Caine starred twice in which film, directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz in 1972, and by Kenneth Brannagh in 2007? He portrayed the younger man in the first film, and the older in the second.
Sleuth

> 6 Which hit song of 1965 includes the following line: "When you're alone and life is making you lonely"?
Downtown

> 7 Lent traditionally lasts for how many days?
40

> 8 The main hub for the Etihad airline is located in which city?
> 9 The Miller Brewing Company is headquartered in which US city?
Milwaukee

> 10 In which classic western folk song do the deer and the antelope roam?
Home On The Range

> cheers,
> calvin

Dan Blum

Jan 16, 2018, 9:51:15 AM1/16/18
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1 The French sandwich 'croque-monsieur' is traditionally filled with which two foodstuffs?

ham and cheese

> 2 What is the legal term for a document that supplements, explains, modifies or revokes a will?

codicil

> 3 Which planet takes approximately 165 years to orbit the sun?

Neptune

> 5 Michael Caine starred twice in which film, directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz in 1972, and by Kenneth Brannagh in 2007? He portrayed the younger man in the first film, and the older in the second.

Alfie

> 7 Lent traditionally lasts for how many days?

30

> 9 The Miller Brewing Company is headquartered in which US city?

Boulder

> 10 In which classic western folk song do the deer and the antelope roam?

Home on the Range

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Bruce Bowler

Jan 16, 2018, 3:57:41 PM1/16/18
On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 20:31:43 -0800, Calvin wrote:

> 1 The French sandwich 'croque-monsieur' is traditionally filled with
> which two foodstuffs?

Ham and Cheese

> 2 What is the legal term for a document that supplements, explains,
> modifies or revokes a will?

Codicil

> 3 Which planet takes approximately 165 years to orbit the sun?

Neptune

> 4 Aibohphobia, appropriately, is the fear of what?

fear

> 5 Michael Caine starred twice in which film, directed by Joseph L.
> Mankiewicz in 1972, and by Kenneth Brannagh in 2007? He portrayed the
> younger man in the first film, and the older in the second.

???

> 6 Which hit song of 1965 includes the following line: "When you're
> alone and life is making you lonely"?

Downtown

> 7 Lent traditionally lasts for how many days?

40

> 8 The main hub for the Etihad airline is located in which city?

Abu Dhabi

> 9 The Miller Brewing Company is headquartered in which US city?

Milwaukee

> 10 In which classic western folk song do the deer and the antelope
roam?

Home on the Range

> cheers,
> calvin

Joe

Jan 16, 2018, 4:22:28 PM1/16/18
On 2018-01-16 04:31:43 +0000, Calvin said:

> 1 The French sandwich 'croque-monsieur' is traditionally filled with
> which two foodstuffs?

Cheese and ? Snails?

> 2 What is the legal term for a document that supplements, explains,
> modifies or revokes a will?

Codicil

> 3 Which planet takes approximately 165 years to orbit the sun?

Pluto

> 4 Aibohphobia, appropriately, is the fear of what?

Palindromes

> 5 Michael Caine starred twice in which film, directed by Joseph L.
> Mankiewicz in 1972, and by Kenneth Brannagh in 2007? He portrayed the
> younger man in the first film, and the older in the second.

Get Carter

> 6 Which hit song of 1965 includes the following line: "When you're
> alone and life is making you lonely"?

Downtown (Saw Pet Clark at the Cropredy Festival last year. She can
still belt it out at age 80+)

> 7 Lent traditionally lasts for how many days?

40

> 8 The main hub for the Etihad airline is located in which city?

Rhiyad

> 9 The Miller Brewing Company is headquartered in which US city?

Milwakee

> 10 In which classic western folk song do the deer and the antelope roam?

Home on the range (That's where they play so I suppose they roam there as well)

--
“To err, as they say, is human. To forgive is divine. To err by
withholding your forgiveness until it’s too late is to become divinely

Pete Gayde

Jan 16, 2018, 6:26:49 PM1/16/18
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 The French sandwich 'croque-monsieur' is traditionally filled
> with which two foodstuffs?

Meat and cheese

> 2 What is the legal term for a document
> that supplements, explains, modifies or revokes a will?

Rider

> 3 Which planet takes approximately 165 years to orbit the sun?

Uranus

> 4 Aibohphobia, appropriately, is the fear of what?

Palindromes

> 5 Michael Caine
> starred twice in which film, directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz in 1972,
> and by Kenneth Brannagh in 2007? He portrayed the younger man in the
> first film, and the older in the second.
> 6 Which hit song of 1965
> includes the following line: "When you're alone and life is making
> you lonely"?

Downtown

> 7 Lent traditionally lasts for how many days?

40

> 8 The main hub for the Etihad airline is located in which city?

Dubai

> 9 The Miller Brewing Company is headquartered in which US city?

Milwaukee

> 10 In which classic western folk song do the deer and the antelope
> roam?

Home on the Range

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Gareth Owen

Jan 17, 2018, 2:54:25 PM1/17/18
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:

> 1 The French sandwich 'croque-monsieur' is traditionally filled with
> which two foodstuffs?

Fromage, jambon

> 2 What is the legal term for a document that supplements, explains,
> modifies or revokes a will?

Codicile

> 3 Which planet takes approximately 165 years to orbit the sun?

Neptune?

> 4 Aibohphobia, appropriately, is the fear of what?

Palindromes

> 5 Michael Caine starred twice in which film, directed by Joseph
> L. Mankiewicz in 1972, and by Kenneth Brannagh in 2007? He portrayed
> the younger man in the first film, and the older in the second.

Sleuth

> 6 Which hit song of 1965 includes the following line: "When you're
> alone and life is making you lonely"?

Downtown

> 7 Lent traditionally lasts for how many days?

40

> 8 The main hub for the Etihad airline is located in which city?

Abu Dhabi

> 9 The Miller Brewing Company is headquartered in which US city?

What made Milwaukee famous,
Has made a loser out of me

> 10 In which classic western folk song do the deer and the antelope roam?

Home on the Range

Calvin

Jan 24, 2018, 9:59:42 PM1/24/18
Hi gang

Apologies for my absence. My wife recently passed away after a long battle with cancer so I'll be taking a break from rgt for the time being. Hopefully Mark or someone can score CQ#514 until I return.

Cherish each day.

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

Jan 25, 2018, 12:25:29 AM1/25/18
My sincere condolences. I realize that words do little to ease the pain,
but they're all we have.

--
Dan Tilque

Gareth Owen

Jan 25, 2018, 1:17:30 AM1/25/18
Deepest sympathies Calvin.

Gareth

Mark Brader

Jan 25, 2018, 1:18:56 AM1/25/18
Very sorry to hear Calvin's news. As requested, here is an
unofficial result for CQ 514:

> 1 The French sandwich 'croque-monsieur' is traditionally
> filled with which two foodstuffs?

Ham and cheese. 1 for Peter, Mark, Dan Blum, Bruce, and Gareth.

> 2 What is the legal term for a document that supplements,
> explains, modifies or revokes a will?

Codicil. 1 for Dan Tilque, Peter, Mark, Marc, Dan Blum, Bruce,
Joe, and Gareth.

> 3 Which planet takes approximately 165 years to orbit the sun?

Neptune. 1 for Dan Tilque, Peter, Mark, Marc, Dan Blum, Bruce,
and Gareth.

> 4 Aibohphobia, appropriately, is the fear of what?

Palindromes. 1 for Dan Tilque, Mark, Marc, Joe, Pete, and Gareth.

> 5 Michael Caine starred twice in which film, directed by Joseph
> L. Mankiewicz in 1972, and by Kenneth Brannagh in 2007? He portrayed
> the younger man in the first film, and the older in the second.

"Sleuth". 1 for Mark, Marc, and Gareth.

> 6 Which hit song of 1965 includes the following line: "When
> you're alone and life is making you lonely"?

"Downtown". 1 for Peter, Mark, Marc, Bruce, Joe, Pete, and Gareth.

> 7 Lent traditionally lasts for how many days?

40. 1 for Erland, Dan Tilque, Peter, Mark, Marc, Bruce, Joe, Pete,
and Gareth.

> 8 The main hub for the Etihad airline is located in which city?

Abu Dhabi, UAE. 1 for Mark, Bruce, and Gareth.

> 9 The Miller Brewing Company is headquartered in which US city?

Milwaukee. 1 for Erland, Dan Tilque, Mark, Marc, Bruce, Joe, Pete,
and Gareth.

> 10 In which classic western folk song do the deer and the
> antelope roam?

I assume "Home on the Range" is the answer Calvin would accept, so:
1 for Dan Tilque, Mark, Marc, Dan Blum, Bruce, Joe, Pete, and Gareth.

As Dan Tilque was the first to note, they actually "play" in that
song; it's the buffalo that "roam".

Scores, if there are no errors:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 TB TOTALS

Mark Brader 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 64 10
Gareth Owen 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 64 10
Bruce Bowler 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 55 8
Marc Dashevsky 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 56 8
Joe 0 1 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 1 46 6
Dan Tilque 0 1 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 46 6
Peter Smyth 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 36 5
Pete Gayde 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 1 38 5
Dan Blum 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 28 4
Erland Sommarskog 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 17 2

5 8 7 6 3 7 9 3 8 8

Hey, I got lucky! Congratulations to Gareth and me!
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | It is never good to adapt the design to the software;
m...@vex.net | it should be the other way around. --J.A. Durieux

swp

Jan 25, 2018, 5:50:49 PM1/25/18
I have no words to express the sadness I feel for you. My deepest condolences.

Stephen

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 26, 2018, 3:02:26 AM1/26/18
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> Apologies for my absence. My wife recently passed away after a long
> battle with cancer so I'll be taking a break from rgt for the time
> being. Hopefully Mark or someone can score CQ#514 until I return.

Awfully sad to hear. I am amazed that you found the energy to keep these
quizzes going despite your wife being terminally ill.

Pete Gayde

Jan 26, 2018, 12:27:18 PM1/26/18
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in
Calvin,

My heartfelt condolences to you and your family.

Pete