QFTCIMM16 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: big 3, multi-aged characters

Mark Brader

Mar 7, 2017, 1:39:05 AM3/7/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-21,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Game 9, Round 2 - Literature - The "Big 3" of Science Fiction

Unless specified otherwise, name the work -- and the *full title*
will be required.

* The first 3 questions are about Arthur C. Clarke novels.

1. A peaceful invasion of Earth by the mysterious Overlords results
in a massive leap in human evolution. Name the 1953 book.

2. Name the 1968 novel, developed concurrently with the film,
involving the discovery of an alien monolith on the Moon.

3. A 1973 novel describing the imminent arrival in near-Earth space
of a large asteroid, named for a Hindu god -- which turns out
to actually be an alien spaceship.

* Now, Isaac Asimov.

4. In 1941 Asimov wrote what is described as the "most famous
science-fiction story of all time", about a world that has
only known day and which is dreading the coming of darkness.
Name the novella.

5. Asimov's most famous series, comprising 7 books, features the
fictional science of psychohistory, developed by Hari Seldon and
used to help create a galaxy-spanning empire. Name the series.

6. Give the title of the 1950 book of short stories featuring
artificial humans with positronic brains. An unfortunate Will
Smith film sharing the same title was released in 2004.

* Finally, Robert Heinlein.

7. Name the 1961 book about a human named Valentine Michael Smith,
raised by Martians, who returns to Earth.

8. This Heinlein book was turned into a Paul Verhoeven film in
1997 about space marines fighting insectoid aliens.

9. Another film adaptation from 1994, starring Donald Sutherland and
about parasitic alien slugs taking over human brains, was adapted
from the 1951 Heinlein novel of the same title.

10. Heinlein coined a few words which have passed into common
English usage. In <answer 7> he describes a Martian word which
means to understand something so fully as to become one with it.
What is the word?

** Game 9, Round 3 - Entertainment - Actors Young and Old

Whether due to time travel, flashbacks, or simply to stories that
span many years, the same character sometimes appears in the same
movie at greatly different ages, and then may be played by two or
more different actors or actresses. Here are 10 questions about
movies where this was done.

1. In the third movie in this series, Josh Brolin plays the
character at a young age; Tommy Lee Jones plays the character
at an older age. Name the series.

2. In this 1986 hit, Wil Wheaton plays the character at a young
age; Richard Dreyfuss, as a grown man. Name the movie.

3. In this 2003 Tim Burton fantasy, Ewan McGregor plays the
character as a young man. Albert Finney plays him on his
deathbed. Name the movie.

4. Through time travel, Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character meets
his future self, and it is Bruce Willis. Name the movie.

5. In the third movie in this series, Rob Lowe plays a young
man, and Robert Wagner plays the same character 30 years older.
Name the series.

6. For her role in this movie, Gloria Stuart became the oldest
person ever to receive an Oscar nomination for acting. Kate
Winslet played her character at a younger age. Name the movie.

7. Leonard Nimoy as Spock comes face to face with his younger self
in "Star Trek" (2009). Who plays the younger version?

8. In "The Debt" (2010), Jessica Chastain plays a Mossad agent
chasing a Nazi war criminal in 1965. Who plays the same
character 30 years older?

9. Gena Rowlands plays the character at an advanced age in the
2004 romance "The Notebook". What Canadian actress plays the
same character in flashback?

10. Harrison Ford plays the lead in "Indiana Jones and the Last
Crusade". But what late actor plays Indy at a younger age in
the same movie?

--
Mark Brader | "...very satisfying -- it's like the erosion geology edition
Toronto | of the electromagnetic spectrum chart."

Don Piven

Mar 7, 2017, 8:01:26 AM3/7/17
On 3/7/17 00:39, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-21,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 9, Round 2 - Literature - The "Big 3" of Science Fiction
>
> Unless specified otherwise, name the work -- and the *full title*
> will be required.
>
> * The first 3 questions are about Arthur C. Clarke novels.
>
> 1. A peaceful invasion of Earth by the mysterious Overlords results
> in a massive leap in human evolution. Name the 1953 book.

Childhood's End

> 2. Name the 1968 novel, developed concurrently with the film,
> involving the discovery of an alien monolith on the Moon.

2001: A Space Odyssey

> 3. A 1973 novel describing the imminent arrival in near-Earth space
> of a large asteroid, named for a Hindu god -- which turns out
> to actually be an alien spaceship.

Rendezvous with Rama

> * Now, Isaac Asimov.
>
> 4. In 1941 Asimov wrote what is described as the "most famous
> science-fiction story of all time", about a world that has
> only known day and which is dreading the coming of darkness.
> Name the novella.

Nightfall

> 5. Asimov's most famous series, comprising 7 books, features the
> fictional science of psychohistory, developed by Hari Seldon and
> used to help create a galaxy-spanning empire. Name the series.

Foundation

> 6. Give the title of the 1950 book of short stories featuring
> artificial humans with positronic brains. An unfortunate Will
> Smith film sharing the same title was released in 2004.

I, Robot

> * Finally, Robert Heinlein.
>
> 7. Name the 1961 book about a human named Valentine Michael Smith,
> raised by Martians, who returns to Earth.

Stranger in a Strange Land

> 8. This Heinlein book was turned into a Paul Verhoeven film in
> 1997 about space marines fighting insectoid aliens.

Starship Troopers

> 9. Another film adaptation from 1994, starring Donald Sutherland and
> about parasitic alien slugs taking over human brains, was adapted
> from the 1951 Heinlein novel of the same title.

The Puppet Masters

> 10. Heinlein coined a few words which have passed into common
> English usage. In <answer 7> he describes a Martian word which
> means to understand something so fully as to become one with it.
> What is the word?

Grok

Bruce

Mar 7, 2017, 8:50:30 AM3/7/17
On Tue, 07 Mar 2017 00:39:00 -0600, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-21, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup, based only on
> your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the questions and
> place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been
> retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2016-11-26
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 9, Round 2 - Literature - The "Big 3" of Science Fiction
>
> Unless specified otherwise, name the work -- and the *full title* will
> be required.
>
> * The first 3 questions are about Arthur C. Clarke novels.
>
> 1. A peaceful invasion of Earth by the mysterious Overlords results
> in a massive leap in human evolution. Name the 1953 book.
>
> 2. Name the 1968 novel, developed concurrently with the film,
> involving the discovery of an alien monolith on the Moon.

2001: A Space Odyssey
Stand By Me

> 3. In this 2003 Tim Burton fantasy, Ewan McGregor plays the
> character as a young man. Albert Finney plays him on his deathbed.
> Name the movie.
>
> 4. Through time travel, Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character meets
> his future self, and it is Bruce Willis. Name the movie.
>
> 5. In the third movie in this series, Rob Lowe plays a young
> man, and Robert Wagner plays the same character 30 years older. Name
> the series.
>
> 6. For her role in this movie, Gloria Stuart became the oldest
> person ever to receive an Oscar nomination for acting. Kate Winslet
> played her character at a younger age. Name the movie.

Titanic

> 7. Leonard Nimoy as Spock comes face to face with his younger self
> in "Star Trek" (2009). Who plays the younger version?
>
> 8. In "The Debt" (2010), Jessica Chastain plays a Mossad agent
> chasing a Nazi war criminal in 1965. Who plays the same character 30
> years older?
>
> 9. Gena Rowlands plays the character at an advanced age in the
> 2004 romance "The Notebook". What Canadian actress plays the same
> character in flashback?
>
> 10. Harrison Ford plays the lead in "Indiana Jones and the Last
> Crusade". But what late actor plays Indy at a younger age in the
> same movie?

River Phoenix

Joshua Kreitzer

Mar 7, 2017, 9:18:16 AM3/7/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:lLydnfJYA9wZyCPFnZ2dnUU7-
LnN...@giganews.com:

> ** Game 9, Round 2 - Literature - The "Big 3" of Science Fiction
>
> Unless specified otherwise, name the work -- and the *full title*
> will be required.
>
> * The first 3 questions are about Arthur C. Clarke novels.
>
> 1. A peaceful invasion of Earth by the mysterious Overlords results
> in a massive leap in human evolution. Name the 1953 book.

"The Sentinel"

> 2. Name the 1968 novel, developed concurrently with the film,
> involving the discovery of an alien monolith on the Moon.

"2001: A Space Odyssey"

> 3. A 1973 novel describing the imminent arrival in near-Earth space
> of a large asteroid, named for a Hindu god -- which turns out
> to actually be an alien spaceship.

"Rendezvous with Rama"

> * Now, Isaac Asimov.
>
> 6. Give the title of the 1950 book of short stories featuring
> artificial humans with positronic brains. An unfortunate Will
> Smith film sharing the same title was released in 2004.

"I, Robot"

> * Finally, Robert Heinlein.
>
> 7. Name the 1961 book about a human named Valentine Michael Smith,
> raised by Martians, who returns to Earth.

"The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress"

> 8. This Heinlein book was turned into a Paul Verhoeven film in
> 1997 about space marines fighting insectoid aliens.

"Starship Troopers"

> 10. Heinlein coined a few words which have passed into common
> English usage. In <answer 7> he describes a Martian word which
> means to understand something so fully as to become one with it.
> What is the word?

grok

> ** Game 9, Round 3 - Entertainment - Actors Young and Old
>
> Whether due to time travel, flashbacks, or simply to stories that
> span many years, the same character sometimes appears in the same
> movie at greatly different ages, and then may be played by two or
> more different actors or actresses. Here are 10 questions about
> movies where this was done.
>
> 1. In the third movie in this series, Josh Brolin plays the
> character at a young age; Tommy Lee Jones plays the character
> at an older age. Name the series.

"Men in Black"

> 2. In this 1986 hit, Wil Wheaton plays the character at a young
> age; Richard Dreyfuss, as a grown man. Name the movie.

"Stand by Me"

> 3. In this 2003 Tim Burton fantasy, Ewan McGregor plays the
> character as a young man. Albert Finney plays him on his
> deathbed. Name the movie.

"Big Fish"

> 4. Through time travel, Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character meets
> his future self, and it is Bruce Willis. Name the movie.

"Inception"

> 5. In the third movie in this series, Rob Lowe plays a young
> man, and Robert Wagner plays the same character 30 years older.
> Name the series.

"Austin Powers"

> 6. For her role in this movie, Gloria Stuart became the oldest
> person ever to receive an Oscar nomination for acting. Kate
> Winslet played her character at a younger age. Name the movie.

"Titanic"

> 7. Leonard Nimoy as Spock comes face to face with his younger self
> in "Star Trek" (2009). Who plays the younger version?

Zachary Quinto

> 8. In "The Debt" (2010), Jessica Chastain plays a Mossad agent
> chasing a Nazi war criminal in 1965. Who plays the same
> character 30 years older?

Helen Mirren

> 9. Gena Rowlands plays the character at an advanced age in the
> 2004 romance "The Notebook". What Canadian actress plays the
> same character in flashback?

Rachel McAdams

> 10. Harrison Ford plays the lead in "Indiana Jones and the Last
> Crusade". But what late actor plays Indy at a younger age in
> the same movie?

River Phoenix

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Peter Smyth

Mar 7, 2017, 9:18:20 AM3/7/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 9, Round 2 - Literature - The "Big 3" of Science Fiction
>
> Unless specified otherwise, name the work -- and the *full title*
> will be required.
>
> * The first 3 questions are about Arthur C. Clarke novels.
>
> 1. A peaceful invasion of Earth by the mysterious Overlords results
> in a massive leap in human evolution. Name the 1953 book.
>
> 2. Name the 1968 novel, developed concurrently with the film,
> involving the discovery of an alien monolith on the Moon.
>
> 3. A 1973 novel describing the imminent arrival in near-Earth space
> of a large asteroid, named for a Hindu god -- which turns out
> to actually be an alien spaceship.
>

> * Now, Isaac Asimov.
>
> 4. In 1941 Asimov wrote what is described as the "most famous
> science-fiction story of all time", about a world that has
> only known day and which is dreading the coming of darkness.
> Name the novella.
>
> 5. Asimov's most famous series, comprising 7 books, features the
> fictional science of psychohistory, developed by Hari Seldon and
> used to help create a galaxy-spanning empire. Name the series.
Foundation
> 6. Give the title of the 1950 book of short stories featuring
> artificial humans with positronic brains. An unfortunate Will
> Smith film sharing the same title was released in 2004.
I Robot
Titanic
> 7. Leonard Nimoy as Spock comes face to face with his younger self
> in "Star Trek" (2009). Who plays the younger version?
Zachary Quinto
> 8. In "The Debt" (2010), Jessica Chastain plays a Mossad agent
> chasing a Nazi war criminal in 1965. Who plays the same
> character 30 years older?
>
> 9. Gena Rowlands plays the character at an advanced age in the
> 2004 romance "The Notebook". What Canadian actress plays the
> same character in flashback?
>
> 10. Harrison Ford plays the lead in "Indiana Jones and the Last
> Crusade". But what late actor plays Indy at a younger age in
> the same movie?

Peter Smyth

Dan Blum

Mar 7, 2017, 9:48:07 AM3/7/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 9, Round 2 - Literature - The "Big 3" of Science Fiction

> 1. A peaceful invasion of Earth by the mysterious Overlords results
> in a massive leap in human evolution. Name the 1953 book.

Invasion Earth

> 2. Name the 1968 novel, developed concurrently with the film,
> involving the discovery of an alien monolith on the Moon.

2001: A Space Odyssey

> 3. A 1973 novel describing the imminent arrival in near-Earth space
> of a large asteroid, named for a Hindu god -- which turns out
> to actually be an alien spaceship.

Rendevous With Rama

> 4. In 1941 Asimov wrote what is described as the "most famous
> science-fiction story of all time", about a world that has
> only known day and which is dreading the coming of darkness.
> Name the novella.

Nightfall

> 5. Asimov's most famous series, comprising 7 books, features the
> fictional science of psychohistory, developed by Hari Seldon and
> used to help create a galaxy-spanning empire. Name the series.

Foundation

> 6. Give the title of the 1950 book of short stories featuring
> artificial humans with positronic brains. An unfortunate Will
> Smith film sharing the same title was released in 2004.

I, Robot

> 7. Name the 1961 book about a human named Valentine Michael Smith,
> raised by Martians, who returns to Earth.

Stranger in a Strange Land

> 8. This Heinlein book was turned into a Paul Verhoeven film in
> 1997 about space marines fighting insectoid aliens.

Starship Troopers

> 10. Heinlein coined a few words which have passed into common
> English usage. In <answer 7> he describes a Martian word which
> means to understand something so fully as to become one with it.
> What is the word?

grok

> ** Game 9, Round 3 - Entertainment - Actors Young and Old

> 1. In the third movie in this series, Josh Brolin plays the
> character at a young age; Tommy Lee Jones plays the character
> at an older age. Name the series.

Men in Black

> 2. In this 1986 hit, Wil Wheaton plays the character at a young
> age; Richard Dreyfuss, as a grown man. Name the movie.

Stand By Me

> 4. Through time travel, Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character meets
> his future self, and it is Bruce Willis. Name the movie.

Looper

> 5. In the third movie in this series, Rob Lowe plays a young
> man, and Robert Wagner plays the same character 30 years older.
> Name the series.

Austin Powers

> 6. For her role in this movie, Gloria Stuart became the oldest
> person ever to receive an Oscar nomination for acting. Kate
> Winslet played her character at a younger age. Name the movie.

Titanic

> 7. Leonard Nimoy as Spock comes face to face with his younger self
> in "Star Trek" (2009). Who plays the younger version?

Zachary Quinto

> 10. Harrison Ford plays the lead in "Indiana Jones and the Last
> Crusade". But what late actor plays Indy at a younger age in
> the same movie?

River Phoenix

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

Mar 7, 2017, 3:15:52 PM3/7/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 9, Round 2 - Literature - The "Big 3" of Science Fiction
>
> 1. A peaceful invasion of Earth by the mysterious Overlords results
> in a massive leap in human evolution. Name the 1953 book.

Funny. I happened to come to think of it earlier today. The Swedish
title was "Mot nya världar", which back-translated would be "Towards
New Worlds".

> 2. Name the 1968 novel, developed concurrently with the film,
> involving the discovery of an alien monolith on the Moon.

2001

> 3. A 1973 novel describing the imminent arrival in near-Earth space
> of a large asteroid, named for a Hindu god -- which turns out
> to actually be an alien spaceship.

"Rendez-Vous with Rama".

> * Now, Isaac Asimov.
>
> 4. In 1941 Asimov wrote what is described as the "most famous
> science-fiction story of all time", about a world that has
> only known day and which is dreading the coming of darkness.
> Name the novella.

Nightfall

> 5. Asimov's most famous series, comprising 7 books, features the
> fictional science of psychohistory, developed by Hari Seldon and
> used to help create a galaxy-spanning empire. Name the series.

Foundation

> 6. Give the title of the 1950 book of short stories featuring
> artificial humans with positronic brains. An unfortunate Will
> Smith film sharing the same title was released in 2004.

I, Robot

Marc Dashevsky

Mar 7, 2017, 3:55:03 PM3/7/17
In article <lLydnfJYA9wZyCPF...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> ** Game 9, Round 2 - Literature - The "Big 3" of Science Fiction
>
> Unless specified otherwise, name the work -- and the *full title*
> will be required.
>
> * The first 3 questions are about Arthur C. Clarke novels.
>
> 1. A peaceful invasion of Earth by the mysterious Overlords results
> in a massive leap in human evolution. Name the 1953 book.
Childhood's End

> 2. Name the 1968 novel, developed concurrently with the film,
> involving the discovery of an alien monolith on the Moon.
2001: A Space Odyssey

> 3. A 1973 novel describing the imminent arrival in near-Earth space
> of a large asteroid, named for a Hindu god -- which turns out
> to actually be an alien spaceship.
Rendezvous with Rama

> * Now, Isaac Asimov.
>
> 4. In 1941 Asimov wrote what is described as the "most famous
> science-fiction story of all time", about a world that has
> only known day and which is dreading the coming of darkness.
> Name the novella.
Twilight

> 5. Asimov's most famous series, comprising 7 books, features the
> fictional science of psychohistory, developed by Hari Seldon and
> used to help create a galaxy-spanning empire. Name the series.
Foundation

> 6. Give the title of the 1950 book of short stories featuring
> artificial humans with positronic brains. An unfortunate Will
> Smith film sharing the same title was released in 2004.
I Robot

> * Finally, Robert Heinlein.
>
> 7. Name the 1961 book about a human named Valentine Michael Smith,
> raised by Martians, who returns to Earth.
Stranger in a Strange Land

> 8. This Heinlein book was turned into a Paul Verhoeven film in
> 1997 about space marines fighting insectoid aliens.
Starship Troopers

> 9. Another film adaptation from 1994, starring Donald Sutherland and
> about parasitic alien slugs taking over human brains, was adapted
> from the 1951 Heinlein novel of the same title.
Puppet Masters

> 10. Heinlein coined a few words which have passed into common
> English usage. In <answer 7> he describes a Martian word which
> means to understand something so fully as to become one with it.
> What is the word?
grok

> ** Game 9, Round 3 - Entertainment - Actors Young and Old
>
> Whether due to time travel, flashbacks, or simply to stories that
> span many years, the same character sometimes appears in the same
> movie at greatly different ages, and then may be played by two or
> more different actors or actresses. Here are 10 questions about
> movies where this was done.
>
> 1. In the third movie in this series, Josh Brolin plays the
> character at a young age; Tommy Lee Jones plays the character
> at an older age. Name the series.
>
> 2. In this 1986 hit, Wil Wheaton plays the character at a young
> age; Richard Dreyfuss, as a grown man. Name the movie.
Stand By Me

> 3. In this 2003 Tim Burton fantasy, Ewan McGregor plays the
> character as a young man. Albert Finney plays him on his
> deathbed. Name the movie.
>
> 4. Through time travel, Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character meets
> his future self, and it is Bruce Willis. Name the movie.
>
> 5. In the third movie in this series, Rob Lowe plays a young
> man, and Robert Wagner plays the same character 30 years older.
> Name the series.
>
> 6. For her role in this movie, Gloria Stuart became the oldest
> person ever to receive an Oscar nomination for acting. Kate
> Winslet played her character at a younger age. Name the movie.
Titanic

> 7. Leonard Nimoy as Spock comes face to face with his younger self
> in "Star Trek" (2009). Who plays the younger version?
Zachary Quinto

> 8. In "The Debt" (2010), Jessica Chastain plays a Mossad agent
> chasing a Nazi war criminal in 1965. Who plays the same
> character 30 years older?
>
> 9. Gena Rowlands plays the character at an advanced age in the
> 2004 romance "The Notebook". What Canadian actress plays the
> same character in flashback?
>
> 10. Harrison Ford plays the lead in "Indiana Jones and the Last
> Crusade". But what late actor plays Indy at a younger age in
> the same movie?
River Phoenix [connecting to Stand By Me]

swp

Mar 7, 2017, 9:24:48 PM3/7/17
On Tuesday, March 7, 2017 at 1:39:05 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> ** Game 9, Round 2 - Literature - The "Big 3" of Science Fiction
>
> Unless specified otherwise, name the work -- and the *full title*
> will be required.
>
> * The first 3 questions are about Arthur C. Clarke novels.
>
> 1. A peaceful invasion of Earth by the mysterious Overlords results
> in a massive leap in human evolution. Name the 1953 book.

Childhood's End

> 2. Name the 1968 novel, developed concurrently with the film,
> involving the discovery of an alien monolith on the Moon.

2001:A Space Odyssey

> 3. A 1973 novel describing the imminent arrival in near-Earth space
> of a large asteroid, named for a Hindu god -- which turns out
> to actually be an alien spaceship.

Rendezvous with Rama

> * Now, Isaac Asimov.
>
> 4. In 1941 Asimov wrote what is described as the "most famous
> science-fiction story of all time", about a world that has
> only known day and which is dreading the coming of darkness.
> Name the novella.

Nightfall

> 5. Asimov's most famous series, comprising 7 books, features the
> fictional science of psychohistory, developed by Hari Seldon and
> used to help create a galaxy-spanning empire. Name the series.

the Foundation series

> 6. Give the title of the 1950 book of short stories featuring
> artificial humans with positronic brains. An unfortunate Will
> Smith film sharing the same title was released in 2004.

I, Robot

> * Finally, Robert Heinlein.
>
> 7. Name the 1961 book about a human named Valentine Michael Smith,
> raised by Martians, who returns to Earth.

Stranger in a Strange Land

> 8. This Heinlein book was turned into a Paul Verhoeven film in
> 1997 about space marines fighting insectoid aliens.

Starship Troopers

> 9. Another film adaptation from 1994, starring Donald Sutherland and
> about parasitic alien slugs taking over human brains, was adapted
> from the 1951 Heinlein novel of the same title.

The Puppet Masters

> 10. Heinlein coined a few words which have passed into common
> English usage. In <answer 7> he describes a Martian word which
> means to understand something so fully as to become one with it.
> What is the word?

grok

> ** Game 9, Round 3 - Entertainment - Actors Young and Old
>
> Whether due to time travel, flashbacks, or simply to stories that
> span many years, the same character sometimes appears in the same
> movie at greatly different ages, and then may be played by two or
> more different actors or actresses. Here are 10 questions about
> movies where this was done.
>
> 1. In the third movie in this series, Josh Brolin plays the
> character at a young age; Tommy Lee Jones plays the character
> at an older age. Name the series.

Men in Black III

> 2. In this 1986 hit, Wil Wheaton plays the character at a young
> age; Richard Dreyfuss, as a grown man. Name the movie.

Stand By Me

> 3. In this 2003 Tim Burton fantasy, Ewan McGregor plays the
> character as a young man. Albert Finney plays him on his
> deathbed. Name the movie.

Big Fish

> 4. Through time travel, Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character meets
> his future self, and it is Bruce Willis. Name the movie.

Looper

> 5. In the third movie in this series, Rob Lowe plays a young
> man, and Robert Wagner plays the same character 30 years older.
> Name the series.

Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me

> 6. For her role in this movie, Gloria Stuart became the oldest
> person ever to receive an Oscar nomination for acting. Kate
> Winslet played her character at a younger age. Name the movie.

Titanic

> 7. Leonard Nimoy as Spock comes face to face with his younger self
> in "Star Trek" (2009). Who plays the younger version?

Zachary Quinto

> 8. In "The Debt" (2010), Jessica Chastain plays a Mossad agent
> chasing a Nazi war criminal in 1965. Who plays the same
> character 30 years older?

Helen Mirren

> 9. Gena Rowlands plays the character at an advanced age in the
> 2004 romance "The Notebook". What Canadian actress plays the
> same character in flashback?

Rachel McAdams

> 10. Harrison Ford plays the lead in "Indiana Jones and the Last
> Crusade". But what late actor plays Indy at a younger age in
> the same movie?

River Phoenix

Stephen isn't typing this. And he HaTeS that I use CAPITAL letters. This was not worth the box of Thin Mints he bribed me with.

Calvin

Mar 7, 2017, 11:43:56 PM3/7/17
On Tuesday, March 7, 2017 at 4:39:05 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 9, Round 2 - Literature - The "Big 3" of Science Fiction
>
> Unless specified otherwise, name the work -- and the *full title*
> will be required.
>
> * The first 3 questions are about Arthur C. Clarke novels.
>
> 1. A peaceful invasion of Earth by the mysterious Overlords results
> in a massive leap in human evolution. Name the 1953 book.
>
> 2. Name the 1968 novel, developed concurrently with the film,
> involving the discovery of an alien monolith on the Moon.

2001 A Space Odyssey

> 3. A 1973 novel describing the imminent arrival in near-Earth space
> of a large asteroid, named for a Hindu god -- which turns out
> to actually be an alien spaceship.
>

> * Now, Isaac Asimov.
>
> 4. In 1941 Asimov wrote what is described as the "most famous
> science-fiction story of all time", about a world that has
> only known day and which is dreading the coming of darkness.
> Name the novella.
>
> 5. Asimov's most famous series, comprising 7 books, features the
> fictional science of psychohistory, developed by Hari Seldon and
> used to help create a galaxy-spanning empire. Name the series.

Foundation

> 6. Give the title of the 1950 book of short stories featuring
> artificial humans with positronic brains. An unfortunate Will
> Smith film sharing the same title was released in 2004.

I am Legend; I, Robot

> * Finally, Robert Heinlein.
>
> 7. Name the 1961 book about a human named Valentine Michael Smith,
> raised by Martians, who returns to Earth.

Stranger in a Strange Land

> 8. This Heinlein book was turned into a Paul Verhoeven film in
> 1997 about space marines fighting insectoid aliens.
>
> 9. Another film adaptation from 1994, starring Donald Sutherland and
> about parasitic alien slugs taking over human brains, was adapted
> from the 1951 Heinlein novel of the same title.
>
> 10. Heinlein coined a few words which have passed into common
> English usage. In <answer 7> he describes a Martian word which
> means to understand something so fully as to become one with it.
> What is the word?
>

> ** Game 9, Round 3 - Entertainment - Actors Young and Old
>
> Whether due to time travel, flashbacks, or simply to stories that
> span many years, the same character sometimes appears in the same
> movie at greatly different ages, and then may be played by two or
> more different actors or actresses. Here are 10 questions about
> movies where this was done.
>
> 1. In the third movie in this series, Josh Brolin plays the
> character at a young age; Tommy Lee Jones plays the character
> at an older age. Name the series.

Men in Black

> 2. In this 1986 hit, Wil Wheaton plays the character at a young
> age; Richard Dreyfuss, as a grown man. Name the movie.
>
> 3. In this 2003 Tim Burton fantasy, Ewan McGregor plays the
> character as a young man. Albert Finney plays him on his
> deathbed. Name the movie.
>
> 4. Through time travel, Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character meets
> his future self, and it is Bruce Willis. Name the movie.
>
> 5. In the third movie in this series, Rob Lowe plays a young
> man, and Robert Wagner plays the same character 30 years older.
> Name the series.
>
> 6. For her role in this movie, Gloria Stuart became the oldest
> person ever to receive an Oscar nomination for acting. Kate
> Winslet played her character at a younger age. Name the movie.

Titanic

> 7. Leonard Nimoy as Spock comes face to face with his younger self
> in "Star Trek" (2009). Who plays the younger version?
>
> 8. In "The Debt" (2010), Jessica Chastain plays a Mossad agent
> chasing a Nazi war criminal in 1965. Who plays the same
> character 30 years older?
>
> 9. Gena Rowlands plays the character at an advanced age in the
> 2004 romance "The Notebook". What Canadian actress plays the
> same character in flashback?
>
> 10. Harrison Ford plays the lead in "Indiana Jones and the Last
> Crusade". But what late actor plays Indy at a younger age in
> the same movie?

Phoenix

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

Mar 8, 2017, 1:32:53 AM3/8/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 9, Round 2 - Literature - The "Big 3" of Science Fiction
>
> Unless specified otherwise, name the work -- and the *full title*
> will be required.
>
> * The first 3 questions are about Arthur C. Clarke novels.
>
> 1. A peaceful invasion of Earth by the mysterious Overlords results
> in a massive leap in human evolution. Name the 1953 book.

Childhood's End

> 2. Name the 1968 novel, developed concurrently with the film,
> involving the discovery of an alien monolith on the Moon.

2001: A Space Odyssey

> 3. A 1973 novel describing the imminent arrival in near-Earth space
> of a large asteroid, named for a Hindu god -- which turns out
> to actually be an alien spaceship.

Rendezvous with Rama

> * Now, Isaac Asimov.
>
> 4. In 1941 Asimov wrote what is described as the "most famous
> science-fiction story of all time", about a world that has
> only known day and which is dreading the coming of darkness.
> Name the novella.

Nightfall

> 5. Asimov's most famous series, comprising 7 books, features the
> fictional science of psychohistory, developed by Hari Seldon and
> used to help create a galaxy-spanning empire. Name the series.

Foundation series

> 6. Give the title of the 1950 book of short stories featuring
> artificial humans with positronic brains. An unfortunate Will
> Smith film sharing the same title was released in 2004.

I, Robot

> * Finally, Robert Heinlein.
>
> 7. Name the 1961 book about a human named Valentine Michael Smith,
> raised by Martians, who returns to Earth.

Stranger in a Strange Land

> 8. This Heinlein book was turned into a Paul Verhoeven film in
> 1997 about space marines fighting insectoid aliens.

Starship Troopers

> 9. Another film adaptation from 1994, starring Donald Sutherland and
> about parasitic alien slugs taking over human brains, was adapted
> from the 1951 Heinlein novel of the same title.

The Puppet Masters

> 10. Heinlein coined a few words which have passed into common
> English usage. In <answer 7> he describes a Martian word which
> means to understand something so fully as to become one with it.
> What is the word?

grok
Dan Tilque

Pete Gayde

Mar 8, 2017, 6:27:21 PM3/8/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:lLydnfJYA9wZyCPFnZ2dnUU7-
LnN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-21,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 9, Round 2 - Literature - The "Big 3" of Science Fiction
>
> Unless specified otherwise, name the work -- and the *full title*
> will be required.
>
> * The first 3 questions are about Arthur C. Clarke novels.
>
> 1. A peaceful invasion of Earth by the mysterious Overlords results
> in a massive leap in human evolution. Name the 1953 book.

Childhood's End

> 2. Name the 1968 novel, developed concurrently with the film,
> involving the discovery of an alien monolith on the Moon.

2001: A Space Odyssey

> 3. A 1973 novel describing the imminent arrival in near-Earth space
> of a large asteroid, named for a Hindu god -- which turns out
> to actually be an alien spaceship.

Rendezvous with Rama

> * Now, Isaac Asimov.
>
> 4. In 1941 Asimov wrote what is described as the "most famous
> science-fiction story of all time", about a world that has
> only known day and which is dreading the coming of darkness.
> Name the novella.
>
> 5. Asimov's most famous series, comprising 7 books, features the
> fictional science of psychohistory, developed by Hari Seldon and
> used to help create a galaxy-spanning empire. Name the series.

The Martian Chronicles

> 6. Give the title of the 1950 book of short stories featuring
> artificial humans with positronic brains. An unfortunate Will
> Smith film sharing the same title was released in 2004.

I, Robot

> * Finally, Robert Heinlein.
>
> 7. Name the 1961 book about a human named Valentine Michael Smith,
> raised by Martians, who returns to Earth.
>
> 8. This Heinlein book was turned into a Paul Verhoeven film in
> 1997 about space marines fighting insectoid aliens.

Starship Troopers

> 9. Another film adaptation from 1994, starring Donald Sutherland and
> about parasitic alien slugs taking over human brains, was adapted
> from the 1951 Heinlein novel of the same title.
>
> 10. Heinlein coined a few words which have passed into common
> English usage. In <answer 7> he describes a Martian word which
> means to understand something so fully as to become one with it.
> What is the word?
>

> ** Game 9, Round 3 - Entertainment - Actors Young and Old
>
> Whether due to time travel, flashbacks, or simply to stories that
> span many years, the same character sometimes appears in the same
> movie at greatly different ages, and then may be played by two or
> more different actors or actresses. Here are 10 questions about
> movies where this was done.
>
> 1. In the third movie in this series, Josh Brolin plays the
> character at a young age; Tommy Lee Jones plays the character
> at an older age. Name the series.
>
> 2. In this 1986 hit, Wil Wheaton plays the character at a young
> age; Richard Dreyfuss, as a grown man. Name the movie.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

> 3. In this 2003 Tim Burton fantasy, Ewan McGregor plays the
> character as a young man. Albert Finney plays him on his
> deathbed. Name the movie.
>
> 4. Through time travel, Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character meets
> his future self, and it is Bruce Willis. Name the movie.
>
> 5. In the third movie in this series, Rob Lowe plays a young
> man, and Robert Wagner plays the same character 30 years older.
> Name the series.
>
> 6. For her role in this movie, Gloria Stuart became the oldest
> person ever to receive an Oscar nomination for acting. Kate
> Winslet played her character at a younger age. Name the movie.

Titanic

> 7. Leonard Nimoy as Spock comes face to face with his younger self
> in "Star Trek" (2009). Who plays the younger version?

Quinto

> 8. In "The Debt" (2010), Jessica Chastain plays a Mossad agent
> chasing a Nazi war criminal in 1965. Who plays the same
> character 30 years older?
>
> 9. Gena Rowlands plays the character at an advanced age in the
> 2004 romance "The Notebook". What Canadian actress plays the
> same character in flashback?
>
> 10. Harrison Ford plays the lead in "Indiana Jones and the Last
> Crusade". But what late actor plays Indy at a younger age in
> the same movie?

Yedlin

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Mar 10, 2017, 12:37:38 AM3/10/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-21,
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> ** Game 9, Round 2 - Literature - The "Big 3" of Science Fiction

> Unless specified otherwise, name the work -- and the *full title*
> will be required.

> * The first 3 questions are about Arthur C. Clarke novels.

> 1. A peaceful invasion of Earth by the mysterious Overlords results
> in a massive leap in human evolution. Name the 1953 book.

"Childhood's End". 4 for Don, Marc, Stephen, Dan Tilque, and Pete.
3 for Erland.

> 2. Name the 1968 novel, developed concurrently with the film,
> involving the discovery of an alien monolith on the Moon.

"2001: A Space Odyssey". 4 for Don, Bruce, Joshua, Dan Blum, Marc,
Stephen, Calvin, Dan Tilque, and Pete. 3 for Erland.

According to Clarke, the book and movie were supposed to be released
simultaneously and at one time director Stanley Kubrick was going
to be credited as a coauthor of the book. Allegedly Kubrick was
responsible for the novel not appearing until later.

> 3. A 1973 novel describing the imminent arrival in near-Earth space
> of a large asteroid, named for a Hindu god -- which turns out
> to actually be an alien spaceship.

"Rendezvous with Rama". 4 for Don, Joshua, Dan Blum, Erland, Marc,
Stephen, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> * Now, Isaac Asimov.

> 4. In 1941 Asimov wrote what is described as the "most famous
> science-fiction story of all time", about a world that has
> only known day and which is dreading the coming of darkness.
> Name the novella.

"Nightfall". 4 for Don, Dan Blum, Erland, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

In 1990 the story was expanded to novel length by Robert Silverberg.

> 5. Asimov's most famous series, comprising 7 books, features the
> fictional science of psychohistory, developed by Hari Seldon and
> used to help create a galaxy-spanning empire. Name the series.

"Foundation". 4 for Don, Peter, Dan Blum, Erland, Marc, Stephen,
Calvin, and Dan Tilque.

The series originally consisted of 8 stories of different lengths,
which were, as they say, "fixed up" into 3 so-called novels for
book publication and therefore called a "trilogy". Much later
Asimov returned to it with additional novels, and after his death,
still more novels in the series were written by Gregory Benford,
Greg Bear, and David Brin -- though, sadly, in that order and not
in alphabetical order by their own names.

> 6. Give the title of the 1950 book of short stories featuring
> artificial humans with positronic brains. An unfortunate Will
> Smith film sharing the same title was released in 2004.

"I, Robot". 4 for Don, Joshua, Peter, Dan Blum, Erland, Marc,
Stephen, Dan Tilque, and Pete. 2 for Calvin.

The same title had been used as recently as 1939 for a short story by
Eando Binder, and Asimov was unhappy about his publisher's decision
to reuse it for his book. But the title became so well-known in
connection with Asimov that when the later filmmakers decided to
add elements from Asimov's stories into what was originally going
to be an unrelated movie, they also took "his" title.

> * Finally, Robert Heinlein.

> 7. Name the 1961 book about a human named Valentine Michael Smith,
> raised by Martians, who returns to Earth.

"Stranger in a Strange Land". 4 for Don, Dan Blum, Marc, Stephen,
Calvin, and Dan Tilque.

> 8. This Heinlein book was turned into a Paul Verhoeven film in
> 1997 about space marines fighting insectoid aliens.

"Starship Troopers". 4 for Don, Joshua, Dan Blum, Marc, Stephen,
Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 9. Another film adaptation from 1994, starring Donald Sutherland and
> about parasitic alien slugs taking over human brains, was adapted
> from the 1951 Heinlein novel of the same title.

"The Puppet Masters". 4 for Don, Marc, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> 10. Heinlein coined a few words which have passed into common
> English usage. In <answer 7> he describes a Martian word which
> means to understand something so fully as to become one with it.
> What is the word?

Grok. 4 for Don, Joshua, Dan Blum, Marc, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

As explained in the novel, this is a metaphorical usage and the
literal meaning of "grok" is simply "drink".

> ** Game 9, Round 3 - Entertainment - Actors Young and Old

> Whether due to time travel, flashbacks, or simply to stories that
> span many years, the same character sometimes appears in the same
> movie at greatly different ages, and then may be played by two or
> more different actors or actresses. Here are 10 questions about
> movies where this was done.

This was the easiest round in the original game and the 3rd-easiest
of the entire season.

> 1. In the third movie in this series, Josh Brolin plays the
> character at a young age; Tommy Lee Jones plays the character
> at an older age. Name the series.

"Men in Black" ("Men in Black 3", 2013). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum,
and Calvin. 3 for Stephen.

> 2. In this 1986 hit, Wil Wheaton plays the character at a young
> age; Richard Dreyfuss, as a grown man. Name the movie.

"Stand by Me". 4 for Bruce, Joshua, Dan Blum, Marc, and Stephen.

> 3. In this 2003 Tim Burton fantasy, Ewan McGregor plays the
> character as a young man. Albert Finney plays him on his
> deathbed. Name the movie.

"Big Fish". 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 4. Through time travel, Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character meets
> his future self, and it is Bruce Willis. Name the movie.

"Looper" (2012). 4 for Dan Blum and Stephen.

> 5. In the third movie in this series, Rob Lowe plays a young
> man, and Robert Wagner plays the same character 30 years older.
> Name the series.

"Austin Powers" ("Austin Powers in Goldmember", 2002). 4 for Joshua
and Dan Blum.

> 6. For her role in this movie, Gloria Stuart became the oldest
> person ever to receive an Oscar nomination for acting. Kate
> Winslet played her character at a younger age. Name the movie.

"Titanic" (1997). 4 for Bruce, Joshua, Peter, Dan Blum, Marc,
Stephen, Calvin, and Pete.

> 7. Leonard Nimoy as Spock comes face to face with his younger self
> in "Star Trek" (2009). Who plays the younger version?

Zachary Quinto. 4 for Joshua, Peter, Dan Blum, Marc, Stephen,
and Pete.

> 8. In "The Debt" (2010), Jessica Chastain plays a Mossad agent
> chasing a Nazi war criminal in 1965. Who plays the same
> character 30 years older?

Helen Mirren. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 9. Gena Rowlands plays the character at an advanced age in the
> 2004 romance "The Notebook". What Canadian actress plays the
> same character in flashback?

Rachel McAdams. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 10. Harrison Ford plays the lead in "Indiana Jones and the Last
> Crusade". But what late actor plays Indy at a younger age in
> the same movie?

River Phoenix. (Yes, another "third movie in the series" question.
This one was from 1989.) 4 for Bruce, Joshua, Dan Blum, Marc,
Stephen, and Calvin.

"Yedlin"?

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 9 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Lit Ent
Stephen Perry 40 35 75
Dan Blum 32 28 60
Joshua Kreitzer 20 36 56
Marc Dashevsky 36 16 52
Don Piven 40 0 40
Dan Tilque 40 0 40
Pete Gayde 20 8 28
"Calvin" 14 12 26
Erland Sommarskog 22 0 22
Peter Smyth 8 8 16
Bruce Bowler 4 12 16

--
Mark Brader "[It] was the kind of town where they spell
Toronto trouble TRUBIL, and if you try to correct them,

Jason Kreitzer

Mar 12, 2017, 3:38:18 AM3/12/17
> [...]
>
> 10. Heinlein coined a few words which have passed into common
> English usage. In <answer 7> he describes a Martian word which
> means to understand something so fully as to become one with it.
> What is the word?
>

> ** Game 9, Round 3 - Entertainment - Actors Young and Old
>
> Whether due to time travel, flashbacks, or simply to stories that
> span many years, the same character sometimes appears in the same
> movie at greatly different ages, and then may be played by two or
> more different actors or actresses. Here are 10 questions about
> movies where this was done.
>
> 1. In the third movie in this series, Josh Brolin plays the
> character at a young age; Tommy Lee Jones plays the character
> at an older age. Name the series.
>
> 2. In this 1986 hit, Wil Wheaton plays the character at a young
> age; Richard Dreyfuss, as a grown man. Name the movie.
"Stand By Me"
> 3. In this 2003 Tim Burton fantasy, Ewan McGregor plays the
> character as a young man. Albert Finney plays him on his
> deathbed. Name the movie.
>
> 4. Through time travel, Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character meets
> his future self, and it is Bruce Willis. Name the movie.
>
> 5. In the third movie in this series, Rob Lowe plays a young
> man, and Robert Wagner plays the same character 30 years older.
> Name the series.
>
> 6. For her role in this movie, Gloria Stuart became the oldest
> person ever to receive an Oscar nomination for acting. Kate
> Winslet played her character at a younger age. Name the movie.
"Titanic"

Mark Brader

Mar 12, 2017, 6:02:14 AM3/12/17
If Jason Kreitzer's answers had been posted on time, he would
have scored 12 points on Round 2 and 8 on Round 3.
--
Mark Brader | In order that there may be no doubt as to which is the
Toronto | bottom and which is the top ... the bottom of each