QFTCIBSI Game 4, Rounds 7-8: QMs, CanPapers

Mark Brader

Feb 28, 2016, 1:27:05 AM2/28/16
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-10-19,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars,
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 4, Round 7 - Sports - Quarterbacks

Quarterback is the most important position in football. In case
case name the QB that we describe.

1. This University of Tennessee graduate and current Denver Bronco
is a 5-time NFL MVP and holds over 40 NFL QB records, including
both the career and the season records for touchdown passes.

2. This Green Bay Packer was last season's NFL MVP and was the
MVP of Super Bowl XLV. He also holds the career and season
passer-rating records.

3. This former Pittsburgh Steelers QB and 1989 Pro Football
Hall of Fame inductee became the first to win four Super Bowls.
Besides his numerous appearances in television commercials, he
can now also be regularly seen as an analyst on "Fox NFL Sunday".

4. This decorated former Dallas Cowboys QB is one of 4 players
to have won the Heisman trophy and the Super Bowl MVP award.
One of his nicknames was "Captain America", and he is also
known for coining the term "Hail Mary pass" for a last second
desperation throw to the end zone, after he successfully
completed one to Drew Pearson to win a 1975 playoff game.

5. This legendary San Francisco 49ers QB graduated from Notre Dame
in 1979 and went on to become a 3-time Super Bowl MVP and
4-time winner. He is also known for his role in one of the most
iconic moments in NFL history, "The Catch", throwing the winning
touchdown to Dwight Clark in the NFC Championship game in 1982,
and kickstarting the 49er dynasty.

6. This former Miami Dolphins QB was the 1984 NFL MVP and held
several passing records which were recently broken by the likes
of Brett Favre, Drew Brees, and <answer 1>. In popular culture
he was known as a spokesman for Isotoner gloves and for his
hilarious cameo in "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective".

7. Nicknamed "Big Ben" for his 6'5", 241-pound frame, this
Pittsburgh Steeler became the youngest QB to win the Super Bowl
at age 23, defeating the Seattle Seahawks in 2005.

8. He was the Super Bowl MVP of the game played in 2015, but has
also been in the spotlight for his recent successful appeal of
a 4-game suspension due to his alleged involvement in a cheating
scandal known as Deflategate.

9. He was drafted by the Las Vegas Posse in the CFL in 1994, but
didn't make a name for himself until signing as a free agent for
the Montreal Alouettes in 1998. Over the next 16 seasons he won
3 Grey Cups and 3 Most Outstanding Player awards. He is also
pro football's all-time passing yards leader, with 79,816 yards.

10. He was the starting QB for the Toronto Argonauts when they
last won the Grey Cup in 2012, but has now missed most of this
season due to an off-season shoulder surgery. He was also the
2005 Grey Cup MVP with his previous team -- the Edmonton Eskimos.

After completing this round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh tnir
"Znaavat" sbe nal nafjre, jr arrq gur svefg anzr. Tb onpx naq
fhccyl vg.

* Game 4, Round 8 - Canadiana - Canadian Newspapers

We give you a newspaper title; you name the largest Canadian city
with a paper of that name. For example, if we said the "Star",
you'd say Toronto, not Windsor.

1. "Gleaner".
2. "Telegraph Journal".
3. "Herald".
4. "Free Press".
5. "Spectator".
6. "Whig Standard".
7. "The Province".
8. "Le Droit".
9. "Le Devoir".
10. "Leader Post".

--
Mark Brader | "Any philosophy that can be put 'in a nutshell'
Toronto | belongs there."

Joshua Kreitzer

Feb 28, 2016, 1:57:00 AM2/28/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:tfCdnXea29SlDk_LnZ2dnUU7-
fnN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 4, Round 7 - Sports - Quarterbacks
>
> Quarterback is the most important position in football. In case
> case name the QB that we describe.
>
> 1. This University of Tennessee graduate and current Denver Bronco
> is a 5-time NFL MVP and holds over 40 NFL QB records, including
> both the career and the season records for touchdown passes.

Peyton Manning

> 2. This Green Bay Packer was last season's NFL MVP and was the
> MVP of Super Bowl XLV. He also holds the career and season
> passer-rating records.

Aaron Rodgers

> 3. This former Pittsburgh Steelers QB and 1989 Pro Football
> Hall of Fame inductee became the first to win four Super Bowls.
> Besides his numerous appearances in television commercials, he
> can now also be regularly seen as an analyst on "Fox NFL Sunday".

Terry Bradshaw

> 4. This decorated former Dallas Cowboys QB is one of 4 players
> to have won the Heisman trophy and the Super Bowl MVP award.
> One of his nicknames was "Captain America", and he is also
> known for coining the term "Hail Mary pass" for a last second
> desperation throw to the end zone, after he successfully
> completed one to Drew Pearson to win a 1975 playoff game.

Roger Staubach

> 5. This legendary San Francisco 49ers QB graduated from Notre Dame
> in 1979 and went on to become a 3-time Super Bowl MVP and
> 4-time winner. He is also known for his role in one of the most
> iconic moments in NFL history, "The Catch", throwing the winning
> touchdown to Dwight Clark in the NFC Championship game in 1982,
> and kickstarting the 49er dynasty.

Joe Montana

> 6. This former Miami Dolphins QB was the 1984 NFL MVP and held
> several passing records which were recently broken by the likes
> of Brett Favre, Drew Brees, and <answer 1>. In popular culture
> he was known as a spokesman for Isotoner gloves and for his
> hilarious cameo in "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective".

Dan Marino

> 7. Nicknamed "Big Ben" for his 6'5", 241-pound frame, this
> Pittsburgh Steeler became the youngest QB to win the Super Bowl
> at age 23, defeating the Seattle Seahawks in 2005.

Ben Roethlisberger

> 8. He was the Super Bowl MVP of the game played in 2015, but has
> also been in the spotlight for his recent successful appeal of
> a 4-game suspension due to his alleged involvement in a cheating
> scandal known as Deflategate.

Tom Brady

> After completing this round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh tnir
> "Znaavat" sbe nal nafjre, jr arrq gur svefg anzr. Tb onpx naq
> fhccyl vg.
>
> * Game 4, Round 8 - Canadiana - Canadian Newspapers
>
> We give you a newspaper title; you name the largest Canadian city
> with a paper of that name. For example, if we said the "Star",
> you'd say Toronto, not Windsor.
>
> 3. "Herald".

Calgary

> 8. "Le Droit".

Quebec

> 9. "Le Devoir".

Montreal

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Calvin

Feb 28, 2016, 3:02:53 AM2/28/16
On Sunday, February 28, 2016 at 4:27:05 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 7 - Sports - Quarterbacks
>
> Quarterback is the most important position in football. In case
> case name the QB that we describe.
>
> 1. This University of Tennessee graduate and current Denver Bronco
> is a 5-time NFL MVP and holds over 40 NFL QB records, including
> both the career and the season records for touchdown passes.

Peyton Manning

> 2. This Green Bay Packer was last season's NFL MVP and was the
> MVP of Super Bowl XLV. He also holds the career and season
> passer-rating records.

Favre?

> 3. This former Pittsburgh Steelers QB and 1989 Pro Football
> Hall of Fame inductee became the first to win four Super Bowls.
> Besides his numerous appearances in television commercials, he
> can now also be regularly seen as an analyst on "Fox NFL Sunday".
>
> 4. This decorated former Dallas Cowboys QB is one of 4 players
> to have won the Heisman trophy and the Super Bowl MVP award.
> One of his nicknames was "Captain America", and he is also
> known for coining the term "Hail Mary pass" for a last second
> desperation throw to the end zone, after he successfully
> completed one to Drew Pearson to win a 1975 playoff game.

Aikman, Theismann

> 5. This legendary San Francisco 49ers QB graduated from Notre Dame
> in 1979 and went on to become a 3-time Super Bowl MVP and
> 4-time winner. He is also known for his role in one of the most
> iconic moments in NFL history, "The Catch", throwing the winning
> touchdown to Dwight Clark in the NFC Championship game in 1982,
> and kickstarting the 49er dynasty.

Montana

> 6. This former Miami Dolphins QB was the 1984 NFL MVP and held
> several passing records which were recently broken by the likes
> of Brett Favre, Drew Brees, and <answer 1>. In popular culture
> he was known as a spokesman for Isotoner gloves and for his
> hilarious cameo in "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective".

Marino

> 7. Nicknamed "Big Ben" for his 6'5", 241-pound frame, this
> Pittsburgh Steeler became the youngest QB to win the Super Bowl
> at age 23, defeating the Seattle Seahawks in 2005.

Rothselberger

> 8. He was the Super Bowl MVP of the game played in 2015, but has
> also been in the spotlight for his recent successful appeal of
> a 4-game suspension due to his alleged involvement in a cheating
> scandal known as Deflategate.
>
> 9. He was drafted by the Las Vegas Posse in the CFL in 1994, but
> didn't make a name for himself until signing as a free agent for
> the Montreal Alouettes in 1998. Over the next 16 seasons he won
> 3 Grey Cups and 3 Most Outstanding Player awards. He is also
> pro football's all-time passing yards leader, with 79,816 yards.
>
> 10. He was the starting QB for the Toronto Argonauts when they
> last won the Grey Cup in 2012, but has now missed most of this
> season due to an off-season shoulder surgery. He was also the
> 2005 Grey Cup MVP with his previous team -- the Edmonton Eskimos.
>

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Canadiana - Canadian Newspapers

Pass

cheers,
calvin

Björn Lundin

Feb 28, 2016, 5:04:29 AM2/28/16
On 2016-02-28 07:27, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-10-19,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars,
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 4, Round 7 - Sports - Quarterbacks
>
> Quarterback is the most important position in football. In case
> case name the QB that we describe.
>

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Canadiana - Canadian Newspapers
>
> We give you a newspaper title; you name the largest Canadian city
> with a paper of that name. For example, if we said the "Star",
> you'd say Toronto, not Windsor.
>
> 1. "Gleaner".
> 2. "Telegraph Journal".
> 3. "Herald".
> 4. "Free Press".
> 5. "Spectator".
> 6. "Whig Standard".
Winnipeg?

> 7. "The Province".
> 8. "Le Droit".
Quebec city; Montreal

> 9. "Le Devoir".
Quebec city; Montreal

> 10. "Leader Post".

Björn

Peter Smyth

Feb 28, 2016, 7:30:10 AM2/28/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 7 - Sports - Quarterbacks
>
> Quarterback is the most important position in football. In case
> case name the QB that we describe.
>
> 1. This University of Tennessee graduate and current Denver Bronco
> is a 5-time NFL MVP and holds over 40 NFL QB records, including
> both the career and the season records for touchdown passes.
Peyton Manning
> 2. This Green Bay Packer was last season's NFL MVP and was the
> MVP of Super Bowl XLV. He also holds the career and season
> passer-rating records.
Aaron Rodgers
> 3. This former Pittsburgh Steelers QB and 1989 Pro Football
> Hall of Fame inductee became the first to win four Super Bowls.
> Besides his numerous appearances in television commercials, he
> can now also be regularly seen as an analyst on "Fox NFL Sunday".
>
> 4. This decorated former Dallas Cowboys QB is one of 4 players
> to have won the Heisman trophy and the Super Bowl MVP award.
> One of his nicknames was "Captain America", and he is also
> known for coining the term "Hail Mary pass" for a last second
> desperation throw to the end zone, after he successfully
> completed one to Drew Pearson to win a 1975 playoff game.
>
> 5. This legendary San Francisco 49ers QB graduated from Notre Dame
> in 1979 and went on to become a 3-time Super Bowl MVP and
> 4-time winner. He is also known for his role in one of the most
> iconic moments in NFL history, "The Catch", throwing the winning
> touchdown to Dwight Clark in the NFC Championship game in 1982,
> and kickstarting the 49er dynasty.
Joe Montana
> 6. This former Miami Dolphins QB was the 1984 NFL MVP and held
> several passing records which were recently broken by the likes
> of Brett Favre, Drew Brees, and <answer 1>. In popular culture
> he was known as a spokesman for Isotoner gloves and for his
> hilarious cameo in "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective".
John Elway
> 7. Nicknamed "Big Ben" for his 6'5", 241-pound frame, this
> Pittsburgh Steeler became the youngest QB to win the Super Bowl
> at age 23, defeating the Seattle Seahawks in 2005.
Ben Roethlisberger
> 8. He was the Super Bowl MVP of the game played in 2015, but has
> also been in the spotlight for his recent successful appeal of
> a 4-game suspension due to his alleged involvement in a cheating
> scandal known as Deflategate.
Tom Brady
> 9. He was drafted by the Las Vegas Posse in the CFL in 1994, but
> didn't make a name for himself until signing as a free agent for
> the Montreal Alouettes in 1998. Over the next 16 seasons he won
> 3 Grey Cups and 3 Most Outstanding Player awards. He is also
> pro football's all-time passing yards leader, with 79,816 yards.
>
> 10. He was the starting QB for the Toronto Argonauts when they
> last won the Grey Cup in 2012, but has now missed most of this
> season due to an off-season shoulder surgery. He was also the
> 2005 Grey Cup MVP with his previous team -- the Edmonton Eskimos.

Peter Smyth

Dan Blum

Feb 28, 2016, 10:54:30 AM2/28/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 7 - Sports - Quarterbacks

> 1. This University of Tennessee graduate and current Denver Bronco
> is a 5-time NFL MVP and holds over 40 NFL QB records, including
> both the career and the season records for touchdown passes.

Peyton Manning

> 2. This Green Bay Packer was last season's NFL MVP and was the
> MVP of Super Bowl XLV. He also holds the career and season
> passer-rating records.

Roberts

> 5. This legendary San Francisco 49ers QB graduated from Notre Dame
> in 1979 and went on to become a 3-time Super Bowl MVP and
> 4-time winner. He is also known for his role in one of the most
> iconic moments in NFL history, "The Catch", throwing the winning
> touchdown to Dwight Clark in the NFC Championship game in 1982,
> and kickstarting the 49er dynasty.

Montana

> 7. Nicknamed "Big Ben" for his 6'5", 241-pound frame, this
> Pittsburgh Steeler became the youngest QB to win the Super Bowl
> at age 23, defeating the Seattle Seahawks in 2005.

Roethlisberger

> 8. He was the Super Bowl MVP of the game played in 2015, but has
> also been in the spotlight for his recent successful appeal of
> a 4-game suspension due to his alleged involvement in a cheating
> scandal known as Deflategate.

Tom Brady

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Canadiana - Canadian Newspapers

> 1. "Gleaner".

Saskatoon; Winnipeg

> 2. "Telegraph Journal".

Halifax; Ottawa

> 3. "Herald".

Ottawa; Vancouver

> 4. "Free Press".

Toronto; Vancouver

> 5. "Spectator".

St. John, St. John's

> 6. "Whig Standard".

Ottawa

> 8. "Le Droit".

Montreal; Quebec

> 9. "Le Devoir".

Quebec; Montreal

> 10. "Leader Post".

Calgary; Edmonton

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Jason Kreitzer

Feb 28, 2016, 11:40:28 AM2/28/16
On Sunday, February 28, 2016 at 1:27:05 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-10-19,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars,
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 4, Round 7 - Sports - Quarterbacks
>
> Quarterback is the most important position in football. In case
> case name the QB that we describe.
>
> 1. This University of Tennessee graduate and current Denver Bronco
> is a 5-time NFL MVP and holds over 40 NFL QB records, including
> both the career and the season records for touchdown passes.
Brett Favre
> 2. This Green Bay Packer was last season's NFL MVP and was the
> MVP of Super Bowl XLV. He also holds the career and season
> passer-rating records.
>
> 3. This former Pittsburgh Steelers QB and 1989 Pro Football
> Hall of Fame inductee became the first to win four Super Bowls.
> Besides his numerous appearances in television commercials, he
> can now also be regularly seen as an analyst on "Fox NFL Sunday".
>
> 4. This decorated former Dallas Cowboys QB is one of 4 players
> to have won the Heisman trophy and the Super Bowl MVP award.
> One of his nicknames was "Captain America", and he is also
> known for coining the term "Hail Mary pass" for a last second
> desperation throw to the end zone, after he successfully
> completed one to Drew Pearson to win a 1975 playoff game.
>
> 5. This legendary San Francisco 49ers QB graduated from Notre Dame
> in 1979 and went on to become a 3-time Super Bowl MVP and
> 4-time winner. He is also known for his role in one of the most
> iconic moments in NFL history, "The Catch", throwing the winning
> touchdown to Dwight Clark in the NFC Championship game in 1982,
> and kickstarting the 49er dynasty.
>
> 6. This former Miami Dolphins QB was the 1984 NFL MVP and held
> several passing records which were recently broken by the likes
> of Brett Favre, Drew Brees, and <answer 1>. In popular culture
> he was known as a spokesman for Isotoner gloves and for his
> hilarious cameo in "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective".
Dan Marino
> 7. Nicknamed "Big Ben" for his 6'5", 241-pound frame, this
> Pittsburgh Steeler became the youngest QB to win the Super Bowl
> at age 23, defeating the Seattle Seahawks in 2005.
Roethliger?
> 8. He was the Super Bowl MVP of the game played in 2015, but has
> also been in the spotlight for his recent successful appeal of
> a 4-game suspension due to his alleged involvement in a cheating
> scandal known as Deflategate.
Tom Brady
> 9. He was drafted by the Las Vegas Posse in the CFL in 1994, but
> didn't make a name for himself until signing as a free agent for
> the Montreal Alouettes in 1998. Over the next 16 seasons he won
> 3 Grey Cups and 3 Most Outstanding Player awards. He is also
> pro football's all-time passing yards leader, with 79,816 yards.
>
> 10. He was the starting QB for the Toronto Argonauts when they
> last won the Grey Cup in 2012, but has now missed most of this
> season due to an off-season shoulder surgery. He was also the
> 2005 Grey Cup MVP with his previous team -- the Edmonton Eskimos.
>
> After completing this round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh tnir
> "Znaavat" sbe nal nafjre, jr arrq gur svefg anzr. Tb onpx naq
> fhccyl vg.
"Manning" for any answer, we need the first name. Go back and
> supply it

Dan Tilque

Feb 28, 2016, 11:39:11 PM2/28/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 7 - Sports - Quarterbacks
>
> Quarterback is the most important position in football. In case
> case name the QB that we describe.
>
> 1. This University of Tennessee graduate and current Denver Bronco
> is a 5-time NFL MVP and holds over 40 NFL QB records, including
> both the career and the season records for touchdown passes.
>
> 2. This Green Bay Packer was last season's NFL MVP and was the
> MVP of Super Bowl XLV. He also holds the career and season
> passer-rating records.

Aaron Rodgers

> 3. This former Pittsburgh Steelers QB and 1989 Pro Football
> Hall of Fame inductee became the first to win four Super Bowls.
> Besides his numerous appearances in television commercials, he
> can now also be regularly seen as an analyst on "Fox NFL Sunday".

Bradshaw

> 4. This decorated former Dallas Cowboys QB is one of 4 players
> to have won the Heisman trophy and the Super Bowl MVP award.
> One of his nicknames was "Captain America", and he is also
> known for coining the term "Hail Mary pass" for a last second
> desperation throw to the end zone, after he successfully
> completed one to Drew Pearson to win a 1975 playoff game.

Staubach

> 5. This legendary San Francisco 49ers QB graduated from Notre Dame
> in 1979 and went on to become a 3-time Super Bowl MVP and
> 4-time winner. He is also known for his role in one of the most
> iconic moments in NFL history, "The Catch", throwing the winning
> touchdown to Dwight Clark in the NFC Championship game in 1982,
> and kickstarting the 49er dynasty.

Joe Montana

> 6. This former Miami Dolphins QB was the 1984 NFL MVP and held
> several passing records which were recently broken by the likes
> of Brett Favre, Drew Brees, and <answer 1>. In popular culture
> he was known as a spokesman for Isotoner gloves and for his
> hilarious cameo in "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective".
>
> 7. Nicknamed "Big Ben" for his 6'5", 241-pound frame, this
> Pittsburgh Steeler became the youngest QB to win the Super Bowl
> at age 23, defeating the Seattle Seahawks in 2005.

Roethlisberger

> 8. He was the Super Bowl MVP of the game played in 2015, but has
> also been in the spotlight for his recent successful appeal of
> a 4-game suspension due to his alleged involvement in a cheating
> scandal known as Deflategate.

Brady
Dan Tilque

Marc Dashevsky

Feb 29, 2016, 12:31:22 AM2/29/16
In article <tfCdnXea29SlDk_L...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 4, Round 7 - Sports - Quarterbacks
>
> Quarterback is the most important position in football. In case
> case name the QB that we describe.
>
> 1. This University of Tennessee graduate and current Denver Bronco
> is a 5-time NFL MVP and holds over 40 NFL QB records, including
> both the career and the season records for touchdown passes.
Peyton Manning

> 2. This Green Bay Packer was last season's NFL MVP and was the
> MVP of Super Bowl XLV. He also holds the career and season
> passer-rating records.
Aaron Rodgers

> 3. This former Pittsburgh Steelers QB and 1989 Pro Football
> Hall of Fame inductee became the first to win four Super Bowls.
> Besides his numerous appearances in television commercials, he
> can now also be regularly seen as an analyst on "Fox NFL Sunday".
Terry Bradshaw

> 4. This decorated former Dallas Cowboys QB is one of 4 players
> to have won the Heisman trophy and the Super Bowl MVP award.
> One of his nicknames was "Captain America", and he is also
> known for coining the term "Hail Mary pass" for a last second
> desperation throw to the end zone, after he successfully
> completed one to Drew Pearson to win a 1975 playoff game.
Roger Staubach

> 5. This legendary San Francisco 49ers QB graduated from Notre Dame
> in 1979 and went on to become a 3-time Super Bowl MVP and
> 4-time winner. He is also known for his role in one of the most
> iconic moments in NFL history, "The Catch", throwing the winning
> touchdown to Dwight Clark in the NFC Championship game in 1982,
> and kickstarting the 49er dynasty.

> 6. This former Miami Dolphins QB was the 1984 NFL MVP and held
> several passing records which were recently broken by the likes
> of Brett Favre, Drew Brees, and <answer 1>. In popular culture
> he was known as a spokesman for Isotoner gloves and for his
> hilarious cameo in "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective".
Dan Marino

> 7. Nicknamed "Big Ben" for his 6'5", 241-pound frame, this
> Pittsburgh Steeler became the youngest QB to win the Super Bowl
> at age 23, defeating the Seattle Seahawks in 2005.
Ben Rothlisberger

> 8. He was the Super Bowl MVP of the game played in 2015, but has
> also been in the spotlight for his recent successful appeal of
> a 4-game suspension due to his alleged involvement in a cheating
> scandal known as Deflategate.
Tom Brady

> 9. He was drafted by the Las Vegas Posse in the CFL in 1994, but
> didn't make a name for himself until signing as a free agent for
> the Montreal Alouettes in 1998. Over the next 16 seasons he won
> 3 Grey Cups and 3 Most Outstanding Player awards. He is also
> pro football's all-time passing yards leader, with 79,816 yards.
>
> 10. He was the starting QB for the Toronto Argonauts when they
> last won the Grey Cup in 2012, but has now missed most of this
> season due to an off-season shoulder surgery. He was also the
> 2005 Grey Cup MVP with his previous team -- the Edmonton Eskimos.
>
> * Game 4, Round 8 - Canadiana - Canadian Newspapers
>
> We give you a newspaper title; you name the largest Canadian city
> with a paper of that name. For example, if we said the "Star",
> you'd say Toronto, not Windsor.
>
> 1. "Gleaner".
> 2. "Telegraph Journal".
> 3. "Herald".
> 4. "Free Press".
> 5. "Spectator".
> 6. "Whig Standard".
> 7. "The Province".
> 8. "Le Droit".
> 9. "Le Devoir".
> 10. "Leader Post".

bbowler

Feb 29, 2016, 9:35:24 AM2/29/16
On Sun, 28 Feb 2016 00:27:04 -0600, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-10-19, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> based only on your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the
> questions and place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars, and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been
> retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2015-08-18
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 4, Round 7 - Sports - Quarterbacks
>
> Quarterback is the most important position in football. In case case
> name the QB that we describe.
>
> 1. This University of Tennessee graduate and current Denver Bronco
> is a 5-time NFL MVP and holds over 40 NFL QB records, including both
> the career and the season records for touchdown passes.

Peyton Manning

> 2. This Green Bay Packer was last season's NFL MVP and was the
> MVP of Super Bowl XLV. He also holds the career and season
> passer-rating records.

Brett Favre

> 3. This former Pittsburgh Steelers QB and 1989 Pro Football
> Hall of Fame inductee became the first to win four Super Bowls.
> Besides his numerous appearances in television commercials, he can
> now also be regularly seen as an analyst on "Fox NFL Sunday".

Terry Bradshaw

> 4. This decorated former Dallas Cowboys QB is one of 4 players
> to have won the Heisman trophy and the Super Bowl MVP award.
> One of his nicknames was "Captain America", and he is also known for
> coining the term "Hail Mary pass" for a last second desperation throw
> to the end zone, after he successfully completed one to Drew Pearson
> to win a 1975 playoff game.

Roger Staubach

> 5. This legendary San Francisco 49ers QB graduated from Notre Dame
> in 1979 and went on to become a 3-time Super Bowl MVP and 4-time
> winner. He is also known for his role in one of the most iconic
> moments in NFL history, "The Catch", throwing the winning touchdown
> to Dwight Clark in the NFC Championship game in 1982, and
> kickstarting the 49er dynasty.

Joe Montana

> 6. This former Miami Dolphins QB was the 1984 NFL MVP and held
> several passing records which were recently broken by the likes of
> Brett Favre, Drew Brees, and <answer 1>. In popular culture he was
> known as a spokesman for Isotoner gloves and for his hilarious cameo
> in "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective".

Dan Marino

> 7. Nicknamed "Big Ben" for his 6'5", 241-pound frame, this
> Pittsburgh Steeler became the youngest QB to win the Super Bowl at
> age 23, defeating the Seattle Seahawks in 2005.

Ben Rothlesburger

> 8. He was the Super Bowl MVP of the game played in 2015, but has
> also been in the spotlight for his recent successful appeal of a
> 4-game suspension due to his alleged involvement in a cheating
> scandal known as Deflategate.

Tom Brady

> 9. He was drafted by the Las Vegas Posse in the CFL in 1994, but
> didn't make a name for himself until signing as a free agent for the
> Montreal Alouettes in 1998. Over the next 16 seasons he won 3 Grey
> Cups and 3 Most Outstanding Player awards. He is also pro football's
> all-time passing yards leader, with 79,816 yards.
>
> 10. He was the starting QB for the Toronto Argonauts when they
> last won the Grey Cup in 2012, but has now missed most of this season
> due to an off-season shoulder surgery. He was also the 2005 Grey Cup
> MVP with his previous team -- the Edmonton Eskimos.
>
> After completing this round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh tnir
> "Znaavat" sbe nal nafjre, jr arrq gur svefg anzr. Tb onpx naq fhccyl
> vg.
>

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Canadiana - Canadian Newspapers
>
> We give you a newspaper title; you name the largest Canadian city with a
> paper of that name. For example, if we said the "Star", you'd say
> Toronto, not Windsor.
>
> 1. "Gleaner".
> 2. "Telegraph Journal".
> 3. "Herald".
> 4. "Free Press".
> 5. "Spectator".
> 6. "Whig Standard".
> 7. "The Province".
> 8. "Le Droit".

Montreal

> 9. "Le Devoir".

Pete

Feb 29, 2016, 11:12:33 AM2/29/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:tfCdnXea29SlDk_LnZ2dnUU7-
fnN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-10-19,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars,
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 4, Round 7 - Sports - Quarterbacks
>
> Quarterback is the most important position in football. In case
> case name the QB that we describe.
>
> 1. This University of Tennessee graduate and current Denver Bronco
> is a 5-time NFL MVP and holds over 40 NFL QB records, including
> both the career and the season records for touchdown passes.

Peyton Manning

> 2. This Green Bay Packer was last season's NFL MVP and was the
> MVP of Super Bowl XLV. He also holds the career and season
> passer-rating records.

Rodgers

> 3. This former Pittsburgh Steelers QB and 1989 Pro Football
> Hall of Fame inductee became the first to win four Super Bowls.
> Besides his numerous appearances in television commercials, he
> can now also be regularly seen as an analyst on "Fox NFL Sunday".

Terry Bradshaw

> 4. This decorated former Dallas Cowboys QB is one of 4 players
> to have won the Heisman trophy and the Super Bowl MVP award.
> One of his nicknames was "Captain America", and he is also
> known for coining the term "Hail Mary pass" for a last second
> desperation throw to the end zone, after he successfully
> completed one to Drew Pearson to win a 1975 playoff game.

Staubach

> 5. This legendary San Francisco 49ers QB graduated from Notre Dame
> in 1979 and went on to become a 3-time Super Bowl MVP and
> 4-time winner. He is also known for his role in one of the most
> iconic moments in NFL history, "The Catch", throwing the winning
> touchdown to Dwight Clark in the NFC Championship game in 1982,
> and kickstarting the 49er dynasty.

Joe Montana

> 6. This former Miami Dolphins QB was the 1984 NFL MVP and held
> several passing records which were recently broken by the likes
> of Brett Favre, Drew Brees, and <answer 1>. In popular culture
> he was known as a spokesman for Isotoner gloves and for his
> hilarious cameo in "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective".

Dan Marino

> 7. Nicknamed "Big Ben" for his 6'5", 241-pound frame, this
> Pittsburgh Steeler became the youngest QB to win the Super Bowl
> at age 23, defeating the Seattle Seahawks in 2005.

Rothlisberger

> 8. He was the Super Bowl MVP of the game played in 2015, but has
> also been in the spotlight for his recent successful appeal of
> a 4-game suspension due to his alleged involvement in a cheating
> scandal known as Deflategate.

Tom Brady

> 9. He was drafted by the Las Vegas Posse in the CFL in 1994, but
> didn't make a name for himself until signing as a free agent for
> the Montreal Alouettes in 1998. Over the next 16 seasons he won
> 3 Grey Cups and 3 Most Outstanding Player awards. He is also
> pro football's all-time passing yards leader, with 79,816 yards.
>
> 10. He was the starting QB for the Toronto Argonauts when they
> last won the Grey Cup in 2012, but has now missed most of this
> season due to an off-season shoulder surgery. He was also the
> 2005 Grey Cup MVP with his previous team -- the Edmonton Eskimos.
>
> After completing this round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh tnir
> "Znaavat" sbe nal nafjre, jr arrq gur svefg anzr. Tb onpx naq
> fhccyl vg.
>

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Canadiana - Canadian Newspapers
>
> We give you a newspaper title; you name the largest Canadian city
> with a paper of that name. For example, if we said the "Star",
> you'd say Toronto, not Windsor.
>
> 1. "Gleaner".

Winnipeg; Saskatoon

> 2. "Telegraph Journal".

Victoria; Vancouver

> 3. "Herald".

Edmonton; Calgary

> 4. "Free Press".

Edmonton; Calgary

> 5. "Spectator".

Vancouver; Victoria

> 6. "Whig Standard".

Ottawa; London

> 7. "The Province".

St John; Halifax

> 8. "Le Droit".

Montreal; Quebec

> 9. "Le Devoir".

Montreal; Quebec

> 10. "Leader Post".

Ottawa; London

Pete

Mark Brader

Mar 2, 2016, 1:46:19 AM3/2/16
Yes, that was supposed to be QBs all along in the subject line,
not QMs.

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-10-19,
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 4, Round 7 - Sports - Quarterbacks

> Quarterback is the most important position in football. In case
> case name the QB that we describe.

> 1. This University of Tennessee graduate and current Denver Bronco
> is a 5-time NFL MVP and holds over 40 NFL QB records, including
> both the career and the season records for touchdown passes.

Peyton Manning. Both names were required. 4 for Joshua, Calvin,
Peter, Dan Blum, Marc, Bruce, and Pete.

> 2. This Green Bay Packer was last season's NFL MVP and was the
> MVP of Super Bowl XLV. He also holds the career and season
> passer-rating records.

Aaron Rodgers. I did not accept "Roberts". 4 for Joshua, Peter,
Dan Tilque, Marc, and Pete.

> 3. This former Pittsburgh Steelers QB and 1989 Pro Football
> Hall of Fame inductee became the first to win four Super Bowls.
> Besides his numerous appearances in television commercials, he
> can now also be regularly seen as an analyst on "Fox NFL Sunday".

Terry Bradshaw. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Marc, Bruce, and Pete.

> 4. This decorated former Dallas Cowboys QB is one of 4 players
> to have won the Heisman trophy and the Super Bowl MVP award.
> One of his nicknames was "Captain America", and he is also
> known for coining the term "Hail Mary pass" for a last second
> desperation throw to the end zone, after he successfully
> completed one to Drew Pearson to win a 1975 playoff game.

Roger Staubach. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Marc, Bruce, and Pete.

> 5. This legendary San Francisco 49ers QB graduated from Notre Dame
> in 1979 and went on to become a 3-time Super Bowl MVP and
> 4-time winner. He is also known for his role in one of the most
> iconic moments in NFL history, "The Catch", throwing the winning
> touchdown to Dwight Clark in the NFC Championship game in 1982,
> and kickstarting the 49er dynasty.

Joe Montana. 4 for Joshua, Calvin, Peter, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque,
Bruce, and Pete.

> 6. This former Miami Dolphins QB was the 1984 NFL MVP and held
> several passing records which were recently broken by the likes
> of Brett Favre, Drew Brees, and <answer 1>. In popular culture
> he was known as a spokesman for Isotoner gloves and for his
> hilarious cameo in "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective".

Dan Marino. 4 for Joshua, Calvin, Jason, Marc, Bruce, and Pete.

> 7. Nicknamed "Big Ben" for his 6'5", 241-pound frame, this
> Pittsburgh Steeler became the youngest QB to win the Super Bowl
> at age 23, defeating the Seattle Seahawks in 2005.

Ben Roethlisberger. I score "Roethliger" as almost correct.
4 for Joshua, Calvin, Peter, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Marc, Bruce,
and Pete. 3 for Jason.

> 8. He was the Super Bowl MVP of the game played in 2015, but has
> also been in the spotlight for his recent successful appeal of
> a 4-game suspension due to his alleged involvement in a cheating
> scandal known as Deflategate.

Tom Brady. 4 for Joshua, Peter, Dan Blum, Jason, Dan Tilque, Marc,
Bruce, and Pete.

> 9. He was drafted by the Las Vegas Posse in the CFL in 1994, but
> didn't make a name for himself until signing as a free agent for
> the Montreal Alouettes in 1998. Over the next 16 seasons he won
> 3 Grey Cups and 3 Most Outstanding Player awards. He is also
> pro football's all-time passing yards leader, with 79,816 yards.

Anthony Calvillo.

> 10. He was the starting QB for the Toronto Argonauts when they
> last won the Grey Cup in 2012, but has now missed most of this
> season due to an off-season shoulder surgery. He was also the
> 2005 Grey Cup MVP with his previous team -- the Edmonton Eskimos.

Ricky Ray.

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Canadiana - Canadian Newspapers

> We give you a newspaper title; you name the largest Canadian city
> with a paper of that name. For example, if we said the "Star",
> you'd say Toronto, not Windsor.

> 1. "Gleaner".

Fredericton.

> 2. "Telegraph Journal".

St. John. (Not St. John's.)

> 3. "Herald".

Calgary. 4 for Joshua. 2 for Pete.

> 4. "Free Press".

Winnipeg.

> 5. "Spectator".

Hamilton.

> 6. "Whig Standard".

Kingston.

> 7. "The Province".

Vancouver.

> 8. "Le Droit".

Ottawa.

> 9. "Le Devoir".

Montreal. 4 for Joshua and Bruce. 3 for Pete. 2 for Björn
and Dan Blum.

> 10. "Leader Post".

Regina.

One entrant passed on this round, but passing is something a
quarterback does, so he did not score any points for it. :-)

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 4 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> His Ent Sci Geo Spo Can FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 32 31 12 40 32 8 135
Pete Gayde 32 28 0 40 32 5 132
Marc Dashevsky 32 20 28 40 28 0 128
Dan Tilque 24 12 8 40 24 0 100
Dan Blum 40 16 12 25 16 2 97
Peter Smyth 20 0 8 26 20 0 74
Jason Kreitzer 12 12 0 32 11 0 67
"Calvin" 31 0 -- -- 16 0 47
Erland Sommarskog 11 0 4 32 -- -- 47
Björn Lundin 36 0 8 0 0 2 46
Bruce Bowler -- -- -- -- 28 4 32
"Joe" 20 0 -- -- -- -- 20
--
Mark Brader | "He's suffering from Politician's Logic."
Toronto | "Something must be done, this is something, therefore