QFTCIMM16 Game 3, Rounds 7-8: invention order, sporting goods

Mark Brader

Dec 28, 2016, 12:55:39 AM12/28/16
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-10-03,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 3, Round 7 - History - Sequence of Inventions

We will give you three inventions or innovations. You give the
order in which they became *commercially available*, from first
to last. For convenience, please give your answer (or each of
your guesses) as three letters, such as "ABC" or "CBA".

1. Techie playthings:
A. Beats headphones by Dr. Dre.
B. The Apple iPad.
C. The Amazon Kindle e-reader.

2. In the kitchen:
A. Automatic pop-up toaster for home use.
B. Pyrex glassware (in the US).
C. Electric kettle with a submersible heating element.

3. Medicine:
A. Implantable cardiac pacemaker.
B. Penicillin.
C. Epinephrine auto-injector (Epipen).

4. Social networking:
A. LinkedIn.
B. Twitter.
C. Snapchat.

5. Music tech:
A. Napster peer-to-peer file sharing service.
B. AAA-size lithium-ion battery.
C. MP3 player (in North America).

6. Super-Canadiana:
A. Open-cockpit 1- or 2-person snowmobile.
B. Time zones established for railways.
C. Robertson-head screws.

7. Canadian food and drink:
A. Macintosh apple.
B. Canola oil (approved for use in the US).
C. Caesar cocktail.

8. Basic tech:
A. The consumer counter-top microwave oven.
B. The integrated circuit (chip).
C. The Touch-Tone phone.

9. Everyday life:
A. Standard Bic ballpoint pen.
B. Nylon stockings.
C. Sliced bread.

10. Sporting inventions:
A. 5-pin bowling.
B. Hard-cup jockstrap.
C. Goalie mask.

* Game 3, Round 8 - Sports - Equipment and Manufacturers

1. This company has been making racket-sports equipment since 1881.
Since 1902, they have been the sole provider of tennis balls
for Wimbledon. Name them.

2. Jake Burton started shaping these in his garage in Burlington
Vermont in 1977. Today, Burton is perhaps the biggest brand
name for this piece of sports equipment. What equipment?

3. You'll see this name on bicycle helmets all over the city.
His success in cyclewear has earned him the Order of Canada
and the National Order of Quebec. He's also famous for having
his picture taken with his arm around the Queen's shoulder.
Name him.

4. Back in 1855, in Kentucky, the Hillerich and Bradsby Co. started
making this sports item to meet a growing demand -- although they
really would have preferred to stick to making stair railings
and porch columns. Today they belong to Wilson Sporting Goods,
but this same product is still a major seller. What is it?

5. They have been making the official game ball of the NBA since
1983 -- although the sport the founder devoted his life to
was baseball. Name the company.

6. What important piece of equipment do Sher-Wood Athletics in
Quebec and Yin Hua Silicone Rubber Products in China both make?

7. If you rent skis in Ontario, you'll know this name. Founded
in 1904, they were one of the first to introduce plastic skis.
The company is now headquartered in Isère, France. What company?

8. There are only two manufacturers of this piece of sports
equipment -- Kays Scotland and a Canadian company whose name
would give away the answer. All of the material used to
manufacture the product is sourced from either Scotland or
northern Wales. What's the product?

9. Founded in 1932, whose slogan is "the #1 ball in golf"?

10. What company makes the official ball for the FIFA World Cup?

--
Mark Brader "Men are animals."
Toronto "What are women? Plants, birds, fish?"

Joshua Kreitzer

Dec 28, 2016, 1:05:25 AM12/28/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:e_Sdnf66T75Izv7FnZ2dnUU7-
c_N...@giganews.com:

> * Game 3, Round 7 - History - Sequence of Inventions
>
> We will give you three inventions or innovations. You give the
> order in which they became *commercially available*, from first
> to last. For convenience, please give your answer (or each of
> your guesses) as three letters, such as "ABC" or "CBA".
>
> 1. Techie playthings:
> A. Beats headphones by Dr. Dre.
> B. The Apple iPad.
> C. The Amazon Kindle e-reader.

ABC; ACB

> 2. In the kitchen:
> A. Automatic pop-up toaster for home use.
> B. Pyrex glassware (in the US).
> C. Electric kettle with a submersible heating element.

BAC; BCA

> 3. Medicine:
> A. Implantable cardiac pacemaker.
> B. Penicillin.
> C. Epinephrine auto-injector (Epipen).

BAC

> 4. Social networking:
> A. LinkedIn.
> B. Twitter.
> C. Snapchat.

ABC; BAC

> 5. Music tech:
> A. Napster peer-to-peer file sharing service.
> B. AAA-size lithium-ion battery.
> C. MP3 player (in North America).

BAC

> 6. Super-Canadiana:
> A. Open-cockpit 1- or 2-person snowmobile.
> B. Time zones established for railways.
> C. Robertson-head screws.

CBA; BCA

> 7. Canadian food and drink:
> A. Macintosh apple.
> B. Canola oil (approved for use in the US).
> C. Caesar cocktail.

ACB

> 8. Basic tech:
> A. The consumer counter-top microwave oven.
> B. The integrated circuit (chip).
> C. The Touch-Tone phone.

BAC

> 9. Everyday life:
> A. Standard Bic ballpoint pen.
> B. Nylon stockings.
> C. Sliced bread.

CAB; CBA

> 10. Sporting inventions:
> A. 5-pin bowling.
> B. Hard-cup jockstrap.
> C. Goalie mask.

ABC

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Sports - Equipment and Manufacturers
>
> 1. This company has been making racket-sports equipment since 1881.
> Since 1902, they have been the sole provider of tennis balls
> for Wimbledon. Name them.

Wilson

> 2. Jake Burton started shaping these in his garage in Burlington
> Vermont in 1977. Today, Burton is perhaps the biggest brand
> name for this piece of sports equipment. What equipment?

snowboard

> 4. Back in 1855, in Kentucky, the Hillerich and Bradsby Co. started
> making this sports item to meet a growing demand -- although they
> really would have preferred to stick to making stair railings
> and porch columns. Today they belong to Wilson Sporting Goods,
> but this same product is still a major seller. What is it?

Louisville Slugger baseball bat

> 5. They have been making the official game ball of the NBA since
> 1983 -- although the sport the founder devoted his life to
> was baseball. Name the company.

Spalding

> 9. Founded in 1932, whose slogan is "the #1 ball in golf"?

Titleist

> 10. What company makes the official ball for the FIFA World Cup?

Adidas

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Marc Dashevsky

Dec 28, 2016, 4:19:09 AM12/28/16
In article <e_Sdnf66T75Izv7F...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 3, Round 7 - History - Sequence of Inventions
>
> We will give you three inventions or innovations. You give the
> order in which they became *commercially available*, from first
> to last. For convenience, please give your answer (or each of
> your guesses) as three letters, such as "ABC" or "CBA".
>
> 1. Techie playthings:
> A. Beats headphones by Dr. Dre.
> B. The Apple iPad.
> C. The Amazon Kindle e-reader.
CBA

> 2. In the kitchen:
> A. Automatic pop-up toaster for home use.
> B. Pyrex glassware (in the US).
> C. Electric kettle with a submersible heating element.
CAB

> 3. Medicine:
> A. Implantable cardiac pacemaker.
> B. Penicillin.
> C. Epinephrine auto-injector (Epipen).
BAC

> 4. Social networking:
> A. LinkedIn.
> B. Twitter.
> C. Snapchat.
ABC

> 5. Music tech:
> A. Napster peer-to-peer file sharing service.
> B. AAA-size lithium-ion battery.
> C. MP3 player (in North America).
CAB

> 6. Super-Canadiana:
> A. Open-cockpit 1- or 2-person snowmobile.
> B. Time zones established for railways.
> C. Robertson-head screws.
BCA

> 7. Canadian food and drink:
> A. Macintosh apple.
> B. Canola oil (approved for use in the US).
> C. Caesar cocktail.
ABC

> 8. Basic tech:
> A. The consumer counter-top microwave oven.
> B. The integrated circuit (chip).
> C. The Touch-Tone phone.
CAB

> 9. Everyday life:
> A. Standard Bic ballpoint pen.
> B. Nylon stockings.
> C. Sliced bread.
CBA

> 10. Sporting inventions:
> A. 5-pin bowling.
> B. Hard-cup jockstrap.
> C. Goalie mask.
ABC

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Sports - Equipment and Manufacturers
>
> 1. This company has been making racket-sports equipment since 1881.
> Since 1902, they have been the sole provider of tennis balls
> for Wimbledon. Name them.
>
> 2. Jake Burton started shaping these in his garage in Burlington
> Vermont in 1977. Today, Burton is perhaps the biggest brand
> name for this piece of sports equipment. What equipment?
snowboard

> 3. You'll see this name on bicycle helmets all over the city.
> His success in cyclewear has earned him the Order of Canada
> and the National Order of Quebec. He's also famous for having
> his picture taken with his arm around the Queen's shoulder.
> Name him.
>
> 4. Back in 1855, in Kentucky, the Hillerich and Bradsby Co. started
> making this sports item to meet a growing demand -- although they
> really would have preferred to stick to making stair railings
> and porch columns. Today they belong to Wilson Sporting Goods,
> but this same product is still a major seller. What is it?
baseball bat

> 5. They have been making the official game ball of the NBA since
> 1983 -- although the sport the founder devoted his life to
> was baseball. Name the company.
Spaulding

> 6. What important piece of equipment do Sher-Wood Athletics in
> Quebec and Yin Hua Silicone Rubber Products in China both make?
hockey puck [it's gotta be]

> 7. If you rent skis in Ontario, you'll know this name. Founded
> in 1904, they were one of the first to introduce plastic skis.
> The company is now headquartered in Isère, France. What company?
>
> 8. There are only two manufacturers of this piece of sports
> equipment -- Kays Scotland and a Canadian company whose name
> would give away the answer. All of the material used to
> manufacture the product is sourced from either Scotland or
> northern Wales. What's the product?
curling stones [it's gotta be]

> 9. Founded in 1932, whose slogan is "the #1 ball in golf"?
Titleist

> 10. What company makes the official ball for the FIFA World Cup?

Erland Sommarskog

Dec 28, 2016, 4:25:15 AM12/28/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 1. Techie playthings:
> A. Beats headphones by Dr. Dre.
> B. The Apple iPad.
> C. The Amazon Kindle e-reader.

ACB

> 2. In the kitchen:
> A. Automatic pop-up toaster for home use.
> B. Pyrex glassware (in the US).
> C. Electric kettle with a submersible heating element.

ABC

> 3. Medicine:
> A. Implantable cardiac pacemaker.
> B. Penicillin.
> C. Epinephrine auto-injector (Epipen).

BAC

> 4. Social networking:
> A. LinkedIn.
> B. Twitter.
> C. Snapchat.

ABC

> 5. Music tech:
> A. Napster peer-to-peer file sharing service.
> B. AAA-size lithium-ion battery.
> C. MP3 player (in North America).

BCA

> 6. Super-Canadiana:
> A. Open-cockpit 1- or 2-person snowmobile.
> B. Time zones established for railways.
> C. Robertson-head screws.

BCA

> 7. Canadian food and drink:
> A. Macintosh apple.
> B. Canola oil (approved for use in the US).
> C. Caesar cocktail.

ACB

> 8. Basic tech:
> A. The consumer counter-top microwave oven.
> B. The integrated circuit (chip).
> C. The Touch-Tone phone.

BCA

> 9. Everyday life:
> A. Standard Bic ballpoint pen.
> B. Nylon stockings.
> C. Sliced bread.

BAC

> 10. Sporting inventions:
> A. 5-pin bowling.
> B. Hard-cup jockstrap.
> C. Goalie mask.

CBA

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Sports - Equipment and Manufacturers

> 2. Jake Burton started shaping these in his garage in Burlington
> Vermont in 1977. Today, Burton is perhaps the biggest brand
> name for this piece of sports equipment. What equipment?

Hockey sticks

> 3. You'll see this name on bicycle helmets all over the city.
> His success in cyclewear has earned him the Order of Canada
> and the National Order of Quebec. He's also famous for having
> his picture taken with his arm around the Queen's shoulder.
> Name him.

Dell

> 6. What important piece of equipment do Sher-Wood Athletics in
> Quebec and Yin Hua Silicone Rubber Products in China both make?

Hockey pucks

> 7. If you rent skis in Ontario, you'll know this name. Founded
> in 1904, they were one of the first to introduce plastic skis.
> The company is now headquartered in Isère, France. What company?

Elan

> 8. There are only two manufacturers of this piece of sports
> equipment -- Kays Scotland and a Canadian company whose name
> would give away the answer. All of the material used to
> manufacture the product is sourced from either Scotland or
> northern Wales. What's the product?

Curling stones

> 10. What company makes the official ball for the FIFA World Cup?

Adidas

Don Piven

Dec 28, 2016, 6:42:04 AM12/28/16
On 12/27/16 23:55, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-10-03,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 3, Round 7 - History - Sequence of Inventions
>
> We will give you three inventions or innovations. You give the
> order in which they became *commercially available*, from first
> to last. For convenience, please give your answer (or each of
> your guesses) as three letters, such as "ABC" or "CBA".
>
> 1. Techie playthings:
> A. Beats headphones by Dr. Dre.
> B. The Apple iPad.
> C. The Amazon Kindle e-reader.

CBA

> 2. In the kitchen:
> A. Automatic pop-up toaster for home use.
> B. Pyrex glassware (in the US).
> C. Electric kettle with a submersible heating element.

CAB

> 3. Medicine:
> A. Implantable cardiac pacemaker.
> B. Penicillin.
> C. Epinephrine auto-injector (Epipen).

BAC

> 4. Social networking:
> A. LinkedIn.
> B. Twitter.
> C. Snapchat.

BAC

> 5. Music tech:
> A. Napster peer-to-peer file sharing service.
> B. AAA-size lithium-ion battery.
> C. MP3 player (in North America).

CAB

> 6. Super-Canadiana:
> A. Open-cockpit 1- or 2-person snowmobile.
> B. Time zones established for railways.
> C. Robertson-head screws.

BCA

> 7. Canadian food and drink:
> A. Macintosh apple.
> B. Canola oil (approved for use in the US).
> C. Caesar cocktail.

ACB

> 8. Basic tech:
> A. The consumer counter-top microwave oven.
> B. The integrated circuit (chip).
> C. The Touch-Tone phone.

BCA

> 9. Everyday life:
> A. Standard Bic ballpoint pen.
> B. Nylon stockings.
> C. Sliced bread.

CBA

> 10. Sporting inventions:
> A. 5-pin bowling.
> B. Hard-cup jockstrap.
> C. Goalie mask.
>

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Sports - Equipment and Manufacturers
>
> 1. This company has been making racket-sports equipment since 1881.
> Since 1902, they have been the sole provider of tennis balls
> for Wimbledon. Name them.

> 2. Jake Burton started shaping these in his garage in Burlington
> Vermont in 1977. Today, Burton is perhaps the biggest brand
> name for this piece of sports equipment. What equipment?

> 3. You'll see this name on bicycle helmets all over the city.
> His success in cyclewear has earned him the Order of Canada
> and the National Order of Quebec. He's also famous for having
> his picture taken with his arm around the Queen's shoulder.
> Name him.

Louis Garneau

> 4. Back in 1855, in Kentucky, the Hillerich and Bradsby Co. started
> making this sports item to meet a growing demand -- although they
> really would have preferred to stick to making stair railings
> and porch columns. Today they belong to Wilson Sporting Goods,
> but this same product is still a major seller. What is it?

Louisville Slugger baseball bats

> 5. They have been making the official game ball of the NBA since
> 1983 -- although the sport the founder devoted his life to
> was baseball. Name the company.

Spalding

> 6. What important piece of equipment do Sher-Wood Athletics in
> Quebec and Yin Hua Silicone Rubber Products in China both make?

> 7. If you rent skis in Ontario, you'll know this name. Founded
> in 1904, they were one of the first to introduce plastic skis.
> The company is now headquartered in Isère, France. What company?

> 8. There are only two manufacturers of this piece of sports
> equipment -- Kays Scotland and a Canadian company whose name
> would give away the answer. All of the material used to
> manufacture the product is sourced from either Scotland or
> northern Wales. What's the product?

Curling stones

> 9. Founded in 1932, whose slogan is "the #1 ball in golf"?

Titleist

Gareth Owen

Dec 28, 2016, 10:32:05 AM12/28/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> 1. This company has been making racket-sports equipment since 1881.
> Since 1902, they have been the sole provider of tennis balls
> for Wimbledon. Name them.

Slazenger

> 2. Jake Burton started shaping these in his garage in Burlington
> Vermont in 1977. Today, Burton is perhaps the biggest brand
> name for this piece of sports equipment. What equipment?

Surfboards, skateboards

> 3. You'll see this name on bicycle helmets all over the city.
> His success in cyclewear has earned him the Order of Canada
> and the National Order of Quebec. He's also famous for having
> his picture taken with his arm around the Queen's shoulder.
> Name him.

> 4. Back in 1855, in Kentucky, the Hillerich and Bradsby Co. started
> making this sports item to meet a growing demand -- although they
> really would have preferred to stick to making stair railings
> and porch columns. Today they belong to Wilson Sporting Goods,
> but this same product is still a major seller. What is it?

Baseball bats (Louisville Slugger)

> 5. They have been making the official game ball of the NBA since
> 1983 -- although the sport the founder devoted his life to
> was baseball. Name the company.

Spalding

> 6. What important piece of equipment do Sher-Wood Athletics in
> Quebec and Yin Hua Silicone Rubber Products in China both make?

Hockey Pucks

> 7. If you rent skis in Ontario, you'll know this name. Founded
> in 1904, they were one of the first to introduce plastic skis.
> The company is now headquartered in Isère, France. What company?

Nope

> 8. There are only two manufacturers of this piece of sports
> equipment -- Kays Scotland and a Canadian company whose name
> would give away the answer. All of the material used to
> manufacture the product is sourced from either Scotland or
> northern Wales. What's the product?

Canada and Scotland? Must be curling stones.

> 9. Founded in 1932, whose slogan is "the #1 ball in golf"?

Titleist?

> 10. What company makes the official ball for the FIFA World Cup?

Nike, Adidas

Gareth Owen

Dec 28, 2016, 10:33:26 AM12/28/16
Gareth Owen <gwo...@gmail.com> writes:

>> 2. Jake Burton started shaping these in his garage in Burlington
>> Vermont in 1977. Today, Burton is perhaps the biggest brand
>> name for this piece of sports equipment. What equipment?
>
> Surfboards, skateboards

*returns from googling answer*

.
.
.
.
.

Bugger.

Dan Blum

Dec 28, 2016, 11:08:12 AM12/28/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 7 - History - Sequence of Inventions

> 1. Techie playthings:
> A. Beats headphones by Dr. Dre.
> B. The Apple iPad.
> C. The Amazon Kindle e-reader.

CBA

> 2. In the kitchen:
> A. Automatic pop-up toaster for home use.
> B. Pyrex glassware (in the US).
> C. Electric kettle with a submersible heating element.

BAC; ABC

> 3. Medicine:
> A. Implantable cardiac pacemaker.
> B. Penicillin.
> C. Epinephrine auto-injector (Epipen).

BAC

> 4. Social networking:
> A. LinkedIn.
> B. Twitter.
> C. Snapchat.

ABC

> 5. Music tech:
> A. Napster peer-to-peer file sharing service.
> B. AAA-size lithium-ion battery.
> C. MP3 player (in North America).

BCA

> 6. Super-Canadiana:
> A. Open-cockpit 1- or 2-person snowmobile.
> B. Time zones established for railways.
> C. Robertson-head screws.

BAC; BCA

> 7. Canadian food and drink:
> A. Macintosh apple.
> B. Canola oil (approved for use in the US).
> C. Caesar cocktail.

ABC; BCA

> 8. Basic tech:
> A. The consumer counter-top microwave oven.
> B. The integrated circuit (chip).
> C. The Touch-Tone phone.

ABC; ACB

> 9. Everyday life:
> A. Standard Bic ballpoint pen.
> B. Nylon stockings.
> C. Sliced bread.

CBA

> 10. Sporting inventions:
> A. 5-pin bowling.
> B. Hard-cup jockstrap.
> C. Goalie mask.

ABC; BCA

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Sports - Equipment and Manufacturers

> 1. This company has been making racket-sports equipment since 1881.
> Since 1902, they have been the sole provider of tennis balls
> for Wimbledon. Name them.

Wilson

> 2. Jake Burton started shaping these in his garage in Burlington
> Vermont in 1977. Today, Burton is perhaps the biggest brand
> name for this piece of sports equipment. What equipment?

hockey stick

> 4. Back in 1855, in Kentucky, the Hillerich and Bradsby Co. started
> making this sports item to meet a growing demand -- although they
> really would have preferred to stick to making stair railings
> and porch columns. Today they belong to Wilson Sporting Goods,
> but this same product is still a major seller. What is it?

baseball bat

> 6. What important piece of equipment do Sher-Wood Athletics in
> Quebec and Yin Hua Silicone Rubber Products in China both make?

hockey puck

> 8. There are only two manufacturers of this piece of sports
> equipment -- Kays Scotland and a Canadian company whose name
> would give away the answer. All of the material used to
> manufacture the product is sourced from either Scotland or
> northern Wales. What's the product?

curling stone

> 9. Founded in 1932, whose slogan is "the #1 ball in golf"?

Titleist

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Dan Tilque

Dec 28, 2016, 9:00:01 PM12/28/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 7 - History - Sequence of Inventions
>
> We will give you three inventions or innovations. You give the
> order in which they became *commercially available*, from first
> to last. For convenience, please give your answer (or each of
> your guesses) as three letters, such as "ABC" or "CBA".
>
> 1. Techie playthings:
> A. Beats headphones by Dr. Dre.
> B. The Apple iPad.
> C. The Amazon Kindle e-reader.

BCA

> 2. In the kitchen:
> A. Automatic pop-up toaster for home use.
> B. Pyrex glassware (in the US).
> C. Electric kettle with a submersible heating element.

BAC

> 3. Medicine:
> A. Implantable cardiac pacemaker.
> B. Penicillin.
> C. Epinephrine auto-injector (Epipen).

BAC

> 4. Social networking:
> A. LinkedIn.
> B. Twitter.
> C. Snapchat.

ABC

> 5. Music tech:
> A. Napster peer-to-peer file sharing service.
> B. AAA-size lithium-ion battery.
> C. MP3 player (in North America).

CAB

> 6. Super-Canadiana:
> A. Open-cockpit 1- or 2-person snowmobile.
> B. Time zones established for railways.
> C. Robertson-head screws.

CBA

> 7. Canadian food and drink:
> A. Macintosh apple.
> B. Canola oil (approved for use in the US).
> C. Caesar cocktail.

CAB

> 8. Basic tech:
> A. The consumer counter-top microwave oven.
> B. The integrated circuit (chip).
> C. The Touch-Tone phone.

ACB

> 9. Everyday life:
> A. Standard Bic ballpoint pen.
> B. Nylon stockings.
> C. Sliced bread.

ABC

> 10. Sporting inventions:
> A. 5-pin bowling.
> B. Hard-cup jockstrap.
> C. Goalie mask.

BCA

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Sports - Equipment and Manufacturers
>
> 1. This company has been making racket-sports equipment since 1881.
> Since 1902, they have been the sole provider of tennis balls
> for Wimbledon. Name them.

Wilson

> 2. Jake Burton started shaping these in his garage in Burlington
> Vermont in 1977. Today, Burton is perhaps the biggest brand
> name for this piece of sports equipment. What equipment?

snowboard

> 3. You'll see this name on bicycle helmets all over the city.
> His success in cyclewear has earned him the Order of Canada
> and the National Order of Quebec. He's also famous for having
> his picture taken with his arm around the Queen's shoulder.
> Name him.
>
> 4. Back in 1855, in Kentucky, the Hillerich and Bradsby Co. started
> making this sports item to meet a growing demand -- although they
> really would have preferred to stick to making stair railings
> and porch columns. Today they belong to Wilson Sporting Goods,
> but this same product is still a major seller. What is it?

baseball bat

> 5. They have been making the official game ball of the NBA since
> 1983 -- although the sport the founder devoted his life to
> was baseball. Name the company.

Spalding

> 6. What important piece of equipment do Sher-Wood Athletics in
> Quebec and Yin Hua Silicone Rubber Products in China both make?

racquetball balls

> 7. If you rent skis in Ontario, you'll know this name. Founded
> in 1904, they were one of the first to introduce plastic skis.
> The company is now headquartered in Isère, France. What company?

Head

> 8. There are only two manufacturers of this piece of sports
> equipment -- Kays Scotland and a Canadian company whose name
> would give away the answer. All of the material used to
> manufacture the product is sourced from either Scotland or
> northern Wales. What's the product?

curling stones

> 9. Founded in 1932, whose slogan is "the #1 ball in golf"?

Top Flite

> 10. What company makes the official ball for the FIFA World Cup?

Adidas

--
Dan Tilque

Pete

Dec 29, 2016, 9:25:46 PM12/29/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:e_Sdnf66T75Izv7FnZ2dnUU7-
c_N...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-10-03,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 3, Round 7 - History - Sequence of Inventions
>
> We will give you three inventions or innovations. You give the
> order in which they became *commercially available*, from first
> to last. For convenience, please give your answer (or each of
> your guesses) as three letters, such as "ABC" or "CBA".
>
> 1. Techie playthings:
> A. Beats headphones by Dr. Dre.
> B. The Apple iPad.
> C. The Amazon Kindle e-reader.

BCA

> 2. In the kitchen:
> A. Automatic pop-up toaster for home use.
> B. Pyrex glassware (in the US).
> C. Electric kettle with a submersible heating element.

ABC; BAC

> 3. Medicine:
> A. Implantable cardiac pacemaker.
> B. Penicillin.
> C. Epinephrine auto-injector (Epipen).

BAC

> 4. Social networking:
> A. LinkedIn.
> B. Twitter.
> C. Snapchat.

ABC

> 5. Music tech:
> A. Napster peer-to-peer file sharing service.
> B. AAA-size lithium-ion battery.
> C. MP3 player (in North America).

BCA

> 6. Super-Canadiana:
> A. Open-cockpit 1- or 2-person snowmobile.
> B. Time zones established for railways.
> C. Robertson-head screws.

BAC; CBA

> 7. Canadian food and drink:
> A. Macintosh apple.
> B. Canola oil (approved for use in the US).
> C. Caesar cocktail.

ACB

> 8. Basic tech:
> A. The consumer counter-top microwave oven.
> B. The integrated circuit (chip).
> C. The Touch-Tone phone.

BCA

> 9. Everyday life:
> A. Standard Bic ballpoint pen.
> B. Nylon stockings.
> C. Sliced bread.

CBA; ACB

> 10. Sporting inventions:
> A. 5-pin bowling.
> B. Hard-cup jockstrap.
> C. Goalie mask.

ABC

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Sports - Equipment and Manufacturers
>
> 1. This company has been making racket-sports equipment since 1881.
> Since 1902, they have been the sole provider of tennis balls
> for Wimbledon. Name them.

Slazenger

> 2. Jake Burton started shaping these in his garage in Burlington
> Vermont in 1977. Today, Burton is perhaps the biggest brand
> name for this piece of sports equipment. What equipment?

Snowboard

> 3. You'll see this name on bicycle helmets all over the city.
> His success in cyclewear has earned him the Order of Canada
> and the National Order of Quebec. He's also famous for having
> his picture taken with his arm around the Queen's shoulder.
> Name him.

Bell

> 4. Back in 1855, in Kentucky, the Hillerich and Bradsby Co. started
> making this sports item to meet a growing demand -- although they
> really would have preferred to stick to making stair railings
> and porch columns. Today they belong to Wilson Sporting Goods,
> but this same product is still a major seller. What is it?

Baseball bat

> 5. They have been making the official game ball of the NBA since
> 1983 -- although the sport the founder devoted his life to
> was baseball. Name the company.

Wilson

> 6. What important piece of equipment do Sher-Wood Athletics in
> Quebec and Yin Hua Silicone Rubber Products in China both make?

Hockey puck

> 7. If you rent skis in Ontario, you'll know this name. Founded
> in 1904, they were one of the first to introduce plastic skis.
> The company is now headquartered in Isère, France. What company?

Rossignol

> 8. There are only two manufacturers of this piece of sports
> equipment -- Kays Scotland and a Canadian company whose name
> would give away the answer. All of the material used to
> manufacture the product is sourced from either Scotland or
> northern Wales. What's the product?

Curling stones

> 9. Founded in 1932, whose slogan is "the #1 ball in golf"?

Titleist

> 10. What company makes the official ball for the FIFA World Cup?

Adidas

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Dec 30, 2016, 11:53:42 PM12/30/16
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-10-03,
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 3, Round 7 - History - Sequence of Inventions

> We will give you three inventions or innovations. You give the
> order in which they became *commercially available*, from first
> to last. For convenience, please give your answer (or each of
> your guesses) as three letters, such as "ABC" or "CBA".

> 1. Techie playthings:
> A. Beats headphones by Dr. Dre.
> B. The Apple iPad.
> C. The Amazon Kindle e-reader.

CAB. (Kindle 2007, Beats 2008, iPad 2010.)

> 2. In the kitchen:
> A. Automatic pop-up toaster for home use.
> B. Pyrex glassware (in the US).
> C. Electric kettle with a submersible heating element.

BCA. (Pyrex 1915, Kettle 1923, Toaster 1926.) 2 for Joshua.

> 3. Medicine:
> A. Implantable cardiac pacemaker.
> B. Penicillin.
> C. Epinephrine auto-injector (Epipen).

BAC. (Penicillin 1945, pacemaker 1958, Epipen 1987.) 4 for Joshua,
Marc, Erland, Don, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 4. Social networking:
> A. LinkedIn.
> B. Twitter.
> C. Snapchat.

ABC. (LinkedIn 2003, Twitter 2006, Snapchat 2011.) 4 for Marc,
Erland, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete. 3 for Joshua.

> 5. Music tech:
> A. Napster peer-to-peer file sharing service.
> B. AAA-size lithium-ion battery.
> C. MP3 player (in North America).

CAB. (MP3 players 1998, Napster 1999, battery 2003.) 4 for Marc,
Don, and Dan Tilque.

> 6. Super-Canadiana:
> A. Open-cockpit 1- or 2-person snowmobile.
> B. Time zones established for railways.
> C. Robertson-head screws.

BCA. (Time zones, see below; screws 1908; snowmobile 1960.)
4 for Marc, Erland, and Don. 2 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

B is not really Canadiana, of course. The first time zone established
for railway use was Greenwich Mean Time in 1840; and the first system
of time-zone boundaries within a country was established for railway
use in 1883 in the US and Canada. The Canadian contribution was to
propose the worldwide extension of the system, which sort of happened
over the following decades, but mostly as a matter of law rather than
being led by the railways as was the case in the UK and North America.

> 7. Canadian food and drink:
> A. Macintosh apple.
> B. Canola oil (approved for use in the US).
> C. Caesar cocktail.

ACB. (Apple found 1811, sold 1835; Caesar 1969; canola 1985.)
4 for Joshua, Erland, Don, and Pete.

> 8. Basic tech:
> A. The consumer counter-top microwave oven.
> B. The integrated circuit (chip).
> C. The Touch-Tone phone.

BCA. (Chip 1958, phone 1963, microwave 1967.) 4 for Erland, Don,
and Pete.

> 9. Everyday life:
> A. Standard Bic ballpoint pen.
> B. Nylon stockings.
> C. Sliced bread.

CBA. (Bread about 1930, nylons 1940, Bic 1950.) 4 for Marc, Don,
and Dan Blum. 3 for Pete. 2 for Joshua.

> 10. Sporting inventions:
> A. 5-pin bowling.
> B. Hard-cup jockstrap.
> C. Goalie mask.

ABC. (5-pin 1909, jockstrap 1927, mask 1959.) 4 for Joshua, Marc,
and Pete. 3 for Dan Blum.

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Sports - Equipment and Manufacturers

> 1. This company has been making racket-sports equipment since 1881.
> Since 1902, they have been the sole provider of tennis balls
> for Wimbledon. Name them.

Slazenger. 4 for Gareth and Pete.

> 2. Jake Burton started shaping these in his garage in Burlington
> Vermont in 1977. Today, Burton is perhaps the biggest brand
> name for this piece of sports equipment. What equipment?

Snowboard. 4 for Joshua, Marc, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 3. You'll see this name on bicycle helmets all over the city.
> His success in cyclewear has earned him the Order of Canada
> and the National Order of Quebec. He's also famous for having
> his picture taken with his arm around the Queen's shoulder.
> Name him.

Louis Garneau. 4 for Don.

> 4. Back in 1855, in Kentucky, the Hillerich and Bradsby Co. started
> making this sports item to meet a growing demand -- although they
> really would have preferred to stick to making stair railings
> and porch columns. Today they belong to Wilson Sporting Goods,
> but this same product is still a major seller. What is it?

Baseball bat. (Specifically, the Louisville Slugger.) 4 for Joshua,
Marc, Don, Gareth, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 5. They have been making the official game ball of the NBA since
> 1983 -- although the sport the founder devoted his life to
> was baseball. Name the company.

Spalding. 4 for Joshua, Marc, Don, Gareth, and Dan Tilque.

> 6. What important piece of equipment do Sher-Wood Athletics in
> Quebec and Yin Hua Silicone Rubber Products in China both make?

Hockey puck. 4 for Marc, Erland, Gareth, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 7. If you rent skis in Ontario, you'll know this name. Founded
> in 1904, they were one of the first to introduce plastic skis.
> The company is now headquartered in Isère, France. What company?

Rossignol. 4 for Pete.

> 8. There are only two manufacturers of this piece of sports
> equipment -- Kays Scotland and a Canadian company whose name
> would give away the answer. All of the material used to
> manufacture the product is sourced from either Scotland or
> northern Wales. What's the product?

Curling stone. (Canada Curling Stone Co. is the other manufacturer.)
4 for Marc, Erland, Don, Gareth, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 9. Founded in 1932, whose slogan is "the #1 ball in golf"?

Titleist. 4 for Joshua, Marc, Don, Gareth, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 10. What company makes the official ball for the FIFA World Cup?

Adidas. 4 for Joshua, Erland, Dan Tilque, and Pete. 2 for Gareth.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 3 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Can Sci Geo Ent His Spo FOUR
Dan Tilque 0 40 36 2 12 20 108
Marc Dashevsky 0 24 28 20 24 24 100
Joshua Kreitzer 9 16 16 40 21 20 97
Dan Blum 3 36 20 24 17 16 97
Pete Gayde 0 8 32 8 23 32 95
Gareth Owen 0 36 0 32 0 26 94
Erland Sommarskog 0 15 32 4 20 12 79
Don Piven 0 28 -- -- 24 20 72
Peter Smyth 0 28 -- -- -- -- 28
"Calvin" 0 11 -- -- -- -- 11

--
Mark Brader, Toronto Premature generalization is
m...@vex.net the square root of all evil.