QFTCIMM16 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: minerals, art nations

Mark Brader

Dec 2, 2016, 1:21:13 AM12/2/16
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-09-19,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 1, Round 7 - Minerals

Where the question asks for a product, we want a generic term for
the relevant type of product, not a brand name.

1. This crystalline form of carbon used to be called "black lead",
a term still misleadingly applied to it today. Its current and
correct name was coined in 1789 and comes from the Greek word
that describes its primary use. What is this mineral called?

2. This daily-use product contains a number of abrasives --
including calcium carbonate, mica and titanium -- all held
together by a silica sludge. Artificial sweeteners are added
to make it more appealing. Name the product.

3. This mineral is composed of a calcium sulfate dehydrate.
We know it by a name that comes from the Greek for "chalk"
or "plaster". Varieties include alabaster, desert rose,
and selenite. It's used in a range of products but, by far,
it's most commonly found in a widely used building material.
What is this mineral?

4. Not so popular these days, this mineral is cheap and
fire-resistant with excellent sound absorption properties,
all of which made it great for use in the home -- if you could
put up with the lung cancer and mesothelioma. What is it?

5. Titanium dioxide is used as a whitener to make a number of
products more appealing -- from paper to plastic to sunscreen.
Over a century ago, it was introduced as a non-toxic alternative
to lead in what common renovation product?

6. Kaolin is a common aluminum- and silicon-based clay. It's a
component of porcelain and used in paint. Its most common use
is in the production of specialty paper. Besides reducing ink
absorption for a cleaner print, what quality does it impart
to paper?

7. Halite is a common mineral. After it's mined and processed,
we can pick it up at the local supermarket or hardware store
under what name?

8. This material is by definition a mineral, though it's hard to
see it as such. While unstable at room temperature, its solid
state has a hardness of 1.5 on the Mohs scale, a specific gravity
of 0.91, and a hexagonal crystal system. Natural sources of
this mineral are shrinking, but you can still buy a bag of it
for a couple of dollars at a supermarket. What is it?

9. This element, named from the Swedish for "heavy stone", has
the highest melting point of any metal which makes it useful
in drills and missile warheads. We like it because it's used
in the manufacture of light-bulb filaments and the ball of a
ballpoint pen. What is it?

10. In making stainless steel, what is the principal element that
is alloyed with the iron?

* Game 1, Round 8 - Art - Paintings by Country

Please see the handout:

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/1-8/national/art.jpg

(Or if you like, you can see the 12 paintings individually in higher
resolution -- than we got in the original game -- by replacing "art"
in the above URL successively with "A", "B", etc. up to "L".)

Sometimes we can tell an artwork's nationality even if we don't
know or have forgotten the artist's name. For questions #1-4,
we'll give you the name of a country, and you give the letter of
the painting by a native of that country.

1. Scotland.
2. Germany.
3. Denmark.
4. Norway.

After that, please decode the rot13 below to see which letters were
unused and in each case name the country where the artist was born.
As you might guess from question #1, the countries of the UK count
separately for purposes of this round; do not answer "UK".

Countries do not repeat. There were 2 decoys; answer them if you
like for fun, but for no points.

5. O.
6. R.
7. S.
8. T (qrpbl).
9. V.
10. W.
11. X.
12. Y (qrpbl).

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "She gave me the look she gives me."
m...@vex.net | --Michael Wares

Peter Smyth

Dec 2, 2016, 9:42:09 AM12/2/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-09-19,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Minerals
>
> Where the question asks for a product, we want a generic term for
> the relevant type of product, not a brand name.
>
> 1. This crystalline form of carbon used to be called "black lead",
> a term still misleadingly applied to it today. Its current and
> correct name was coined in 1789 and comes from the Greek word
> that describes its primary use. What is this mineral called?
Graphite
> 2. This daily-use product contains a number of abrasives --
> including calcium carbonate, mica and titanium -- all held
> together by a silica sludge. Artificial sweeteners are added
> to make it more appealing. Name the product.
Toothpaste
> 3. This mineral is composed of a calcium sulfate dehydrate.
> We know it by a name that comes from the Greek for "chalk"
> or "plaster". Varieties include alabaster, desert rose,
> and selenite. It's used in a range of products but, by far,
> it's most commonly found in a widely used building material.
> What is this mineral?
>
> 4. Not so popular these days, this mineral is cheap and
> fire-resistant with excellent sound absorption properties,
> all of which made it great for use in the home -- if you could
> put up with the lung cancer and mesothelioma. What is it?
Asbestos
> 5. Titanium dioxide is used as a whitener to make a number of
> products more appealing -- from paper to plastic to sunscreen.
> Over a century ago, it was introduced as a non-toxic alternative
> to lead in what common renovation product?
Paint
> 6. Kaolin is a common aluminum- and silicon-based clay. It's a
> component of porcelain and used in paint. Its most common use
> is in the production of specialty paper. Besides reducing ink
> absorption for a cleaner print, what quality does it impart
> to paper?
Makes it glossy
> 7. Halite is a common mineral. After it's mined and processed,
> we can pick it up at the local supermarket or hardware store
> under what name?
>
> 8. This material is by definition a mineral, though it's hard to
> see it as such. While unstable at room temperature, its solid
> state has a hardness of 1.5 on the Mohs scale, a specific gravity
> of 0.91, and a hexagonal crystal system. Natural sources of
> this mineral are shrinking, but you can still buy a bag of it
> for a couple of dollars at a supermarket. What is it?
Ice
> 9. This element, named from the Swedish for "heavy stone", has
> the highest melting point of any metal which makes it useful
> in drills and missile warheads. We like it because it's used
> in the manufacture of light-bulb filaments and the ball of a
> ballpoint pen. What is it?
Tungsten
> 10. In making stainless steel, what is the principal element that
> is alloyed with the iron?
Chromium

Peter Smyth

Dan Blum

Dec 2, 2016, 10:05:05 AM12/2/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Minerals

> 1. This crystalline form of carbon used to be called "black lead",
> a term still misleadingly applied to it today. Its current and
> correct name was coined in 1789 and comes from the Greek word
> that describes its primary use. What is this mineral called?

graphite

> 2. This daily-use product contains a number of abrasives --
> including calcium carbonate, mica and titanium -- all held
> together by a silica sludge. Artificial sweeteners are added
> to make it more appealing. Name the product.

toothpaste

> 3. This mineral is composed of a calcium sulfate dehydrate.
> We know it by a name that comes from the Greek for "chalk"
> or "plaster". Varieties include alabaster, desert rose,
> and selenite. It's used in a range of products but, by far,
> it's most commonly found in a widely used building material.
> What is this mineral?

quartz

> 4. Not so popular these days, this mineral is cheap and
> fire-resistant with excellent sound absorption properties,
> all of which made it great for use in the home -- if you could
> put up with the lung cancer and mesothelioma. What is it?

asbestos

> 5. Titanium dioxide is used as a whitener to make a number of
> products more appealing -- from paper to plastic to sunscreen.
> Over a century ago, it was introduced as a non-toxic alternative
> to lead in what common renovation product?

house paint

> 6. Kaolin is a common aluminum- and silicon-based clay. It's a
> component of porcelain and used in paint. Its most common use
> is in the production of specialty paper. Besides reducing ink
> absorption for a cleaner print, what quality does it impart
> to paper?

glossy finish

> 7. Halite is a common mineral. After it's mined and processed,
> we can pick it up at the local supermarket or hardware store
> under what name?

salt

> 8. This material is by definition a mineral, though it's hard to
> see it as such. While unstable at room temperature, its solid
> state has a hardness of 1.5 on the Mohs scale, a specific gravity
> of 0.91, and a hexagonal crystal system. Natural sources of
> this mineral are shrinking, but you can still buy a bag of it
> for a couple of dollars at a supermarket. What is it?

ice

> 9. This element, named from the Swedish for "heavy stone", has
> the highest melting point of any metal which makes it useful
> in drills and missile warheads. We like it because it's used
> in the manufacture of light-bulb filaments and the ball of a
> ballpoint pen. What is it?

tungsten

> 10. In making stainless steel, what is the principal element that
> is alloyed with the iron?

nickel; carbon

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Art - Paintings by Country

> 1. Scotland.

C; A

> 2. Germany.

D; I

> 3. Denmark.

I; B

> 4. Norway.

A; I

> 5. O.

France; Italy

> 6. R.

Belgium; France

> 7. S.

England; United States

> 9. V.

Greece; Italy

> 10. W.

Netherlands; Italy

> 11. X.

Italy; Belgium

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Pete

Dec 2, 2016, 12:51:12 PM12/2/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:6q6dnUiT4dZOj9zFnZ2dnUU7-
XPN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-09-19,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Minerals
>
> Where the question asks for a product, we want a generic term for
> the relevant type of product, not a brand name.
>
> 1. This crystalline form of carbon used to be called "black lead",
> a term still misleadingly applied to it today. Its current and
> correct name was coined in 1789 and comes from the Greek word
> that describes its primary use. What is this mineral called?

Graphite

> 2. This daily-use product contains a number of abrasives --
> including calcium carbonate, mica and titanium -- all held
> together by a silica sludge. Artificial sweeteners are added
> to make it more appealing. Name the product.

Toothpaste

> 3. This mineral is composed of a calcium sulfate dehydrate.
> We know it by a name that comes from the Greek for "chalk"
> or "plaster". Varieties include alabaster, desert rose,
> and selenite. It's used in a range of products but, by far,
> it's most commonly found in a widely used building material.
> What is this mineral?

Gypsum

> 4. Not so popular these days, this mineral is cheap and
> fire-resistant with excellent sound absorption properties,
> all of which made it great for use in the home -- if you could
> put up with the lung cancer and mesothelioma. What is it?

Asbestos

> 5. Titanium dioxide is used as a whitener to make a number of
> products more appealing -- from paper to plastic to sunscreen.
> Over a century ago, it was introduced as a non-toxic alternative
> to lead in what common renovation product?

Paint

> 6. Kaolin is a common aluminum- and silicon-based clay. It's a
> component of porcelain and used in paint. Its most common use
> is in the production of specialty paper. Besides reducing ink
> absorption for a cleaner print, what quality does it impart
> to paper?

Sheen

> 7. Halite is a common mineral. After it's mined and processed,
> we can pick it up at the local supermarket or hardware store
> under what name?

Road salt

> 8. This material is by definition a mineral, though it's hard to
> see it as such. While unstable at room temperature, its solid
> state has a hardness of 1.5 on the Mohs scale, a specific gravity
> of 0.91, and a hexagonal crystal system. Natural sources of
> this mineral are shrinking, but you can still buy a bag of it
> for a couple of dollars at a supermarket. What is it?
>
> 9. This element, named from the Swedish for "heavy stone", has
> the highest melting point of any metal which makes it useful
> in drills and missile warheads. We like it because it's used
> in the manufacture of light-bulb filaments and the ball of a
> ballpoint pen. What is it?

Titanium

> 10. In making stainless steel, what is the principal element that
> is alloyed with the iron?
>

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Art - Paintings by Country
>
> Please see the handout:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/1-8/national/art.jpg
>
> (Or if you like, you can see the 12 paintings individually in higher
> resolution -- than we got in the original game -- by replacing "art"
> in the above URL successively with "A", "B", etc. up to "L".)
>
> Sometimes we can tell an artwork's nationality even if we don't
> know or have forgotten the artist's name. For questions #1-4,
> we'll give you the name of a country, and you give the letter of
> the painting by a native of that country.
>
> 1. Scotland.

> 2. Germany.

> 3. Denmark.

> 4. Norway.

> After that, please decode the rot13 below to see which letters were
> unused and in each case name the country where the artist was born.
> As you might guess from question #1, the countries of the UK count
> separately for purposes of this round; do not answer "UK".
>
> Countries do not repeat. There were 2 decoys; answer them if you
> like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 5. O.

Holland

> 6. R.

Italy; France

> 7. S.

England

> 8. T (qrpbl).

Canada; United States

> 9. V.

Italy; Spain

> 10. W.

France; England

> 11. X.

Italy

> 12. Y (qrpbl).

France

Pete Gayde

Erland Sommarskog

Dec 2, 2016, 4:06:31 PM12/2/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 1. This crystalline form of carbon used to be called "black lead",
> a term still misleadingly applied to it today. Its current and
> correct name was coined in 1789 and comes from the Greek word
> that describes its primary use. What is this mineral called?

Graphite

> 3. This mineral is composed of a calcium sulfate dehydrate.
> We know it by a name that comes from the Greek for "chalk"
> or "plaster". Varieties include alabaster, desert rose,
> and selenite. It's used in a range of products but, by far,
> it's most commonly found in a widely used building material.
> What is this mineral?

Limestone

> 4. Not so popular these days, this mineral is cheap and
> fire-resistant with excellent sound absorption properties,
> all of which made it great for use in the home -- if you could
> put up with the lung cancer and mesothelioma. What is it?

Asbest

> 8. This material is by definition a mineral, though it's hard to
> see it as such. While unstable at room temperature, its solid
> state has a hardness of 1.5 on the Mohs scale, a specific gravity
> of 0.91, and a hexagonal crystal system. Natural sources of
> this mineral are shrinking, but you can still buy a bag of it
> for a couple of dollars at a supermarket. What is it?

Frigolite

> 9. This element, named from the Swedish for "heavy stone", has
> the highest melting point of any metal which makes it useful
> in drills and missile warheads. We like it because it's used
> in the manufacture of light-bulb filaments and the ball of a
> ballpoint pen. What is it?

Tungsten

But we call it Wolfram!

> 10. In making stainless steel, what is the principal element that
> is alloyed with the iron?

Carbon

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Art - Paintings by Country
>
> 1. Scotland.

> 2. Germany.

> 3. Denmark.

> 4. Norway.

> 5. O.

England

> 6. R.

Italy.

> 7. S.

Austria

> 9. V.

China

> 10. W.

France

> 11. X.

Spain

> 12. Y (qrpbl).

USA

Björn Lundin

Dec 2, 2016, 5:23:14 PM12/2/16
On 2016-12-02 07:21, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-09-19,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Minerals
>
> Where the question asks for a product, we want a generic term for
> the relevant type of product, not a brand name.
>

> 3. This mineral is composed of a calcium sulfate dehydrate.
> We know it by a name that comes from the Greek for "chalk"
> or "plaster". Varieties include alabaster, desert rose,
> and selenite. It's used in a range of products but, by far,
> it's most commonly found in a widely used building material.
> What is this mineral?

Cement

> 4. Not so popular these days, this mineral is cheap and
> fire-resistant with excellent sound absorption properties,
> all of which made it great for use in the home -- if you could
> put up with the lung cancer and mesothelioma. What is it?

Asbestos

> 9. This element, named from the Swedish for "heavy stone", has
> the highest melting point of any metal which makes it useful
> in drills and missile warheads. We like it because it's used
> in the manufacture of light-bulb filaments and the ball of a
> ballpoint pen. What is it?

Tungsten.
comment: Strangely enough, it is called volfram in Sweden

> 10. In making stainless steel, what is the principal element that
> is alloyed with the iron?
Crominum;Nickel

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Art - Paintings by Country
>
> Please see the handout:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/1-8/national/art.jpg
>
> (Or if you like, you can see the 12 paintings individually in higher
> resolution -- than we got in the original game -- by replacing "art"
> in the above URL successively with "A", "B", etc. up to "L".)
>
> Sometimes we can tell an artwork's nationality even if we don't
> know or have forgotten the artist's name. For questions #1-4,
> we'll give you the name of a country, and you give the letter of
> the painting by a native of that country.
>
> 1. Scotland.
> 2. Germany.
> 3. Denmark.
> 4. Norway.
>

> After that, please decode the rot13 below to see which letters were
> unused and in each case name the country where the artist was born.
> As you might guess from question #1, the countries of the UK count
> separately for purposes of this round; do not answer "UK".
>
> Countries do not repeat. There were 2 decoys; answer them if you
> like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 5. O.
> 6. R.
> 7. S.
> 8. T (qrpbl).
> 9. V.
> 10. W.
> 11. X.
> 12. Y (qrpbl).

> 5. B.
Italy
> 6. E.
Spain
> 7. F.
England
> 8. G (decoy).
> 9. I.
Peru
> 10. J.
France
> 11. K
Portugal
> 12. L (decoy).

Björn

Marc Dashevsky

Dec 2, 2016, 10:27:55 PM12/2/16
In article <6q6dnUiT4dZOj9zF...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 1, Round 7 - Minerals
>
> Where the question asks for a product, we want a generic term for
> the relevant type of product, not a brand name.
>
> 1. This crystalline form of carbon used to be called "black lead",
> a term still misleadingly applied to it today. Its current and
> correct name was coined in 1789 and comes from the Greek word
> that describes its primary use. What is this mineral called?
graphite

> 2. This daily-use product contains a number of abrasives --
> including calcium carbonate, mica and titanium -- all held
> together by a silica sludge. Artificial sweeteners are added
> to make it more appealing. Name the product.
toothpaste

> 3. This mineral is composed of a calcium sulfate dehydrate.
> We know it by a name that comes from the Greek for "chalk"
> or "plaster". Varieties include alabaster, desert rose,
> and selenite. It's used in a range of products but, by far,
> it's most commonly found in a widely used building material.
> What is this mineral?
gypsum

> 4. Not so popular these days, this mineral is cheap and
> fire-resistant with excellent sound absorption properties,
> all of which made it great for use in the home -- if you could
> put up with the lung cancer and mesothelioma. What is it?
asbestos

> 5. Titanium dioxide is used as a whitener to make a number of
> products more appealing -- from paper to plastic to sunscreen.
> Over a century ago, it was introduced as a non-toxic alternative
> to lead in what common renovation product?
paint

> 6. Kaolin is a common aluminum- and silicon-based clay. It's a
> component of porcelain and used in paint. Its most common use
> is in the production of specialty paper. Besides reducing ink
> absorption for a cleaner print, what quality does it impart
> to paper?
sheen

> 7. Halite is a common mineral. After it's mined and processed,
> we can pick it up at the local supermarket or hardware store
> under what name?
rock salt

> 8. This material is by definition a mineral, though it's hard to
> see it as such. While unstable at room temperature, its solid
> state has a hardness of 1.5 on the Mohs scale, a specific gravity
> of 0.91, and a hexagonal crystal system. Natural sources of
> this mineral are shrinking, but you can still buy a bag of it
> for a couple of dollars at a supermarket. What is it?
ice

> 9. This element, named from the Swedish for "heavy stone", has
> the highest melting point of any metal which makes it useful
> in drills and missile warheads. We like it because it's used
> in the manufacture of light-bulb filaments and the ball of a
> ballpoint pen. What is it?
tungsten

> 10. In making stainless steel, what is the principal element that
> is alloyed with the iron?
chromium

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Art - Paintings by Country
>
> Please see the handout:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/1-8/national/art.jpg
>
> (Or if you like, you can see the 12 paintings individually in higher
> resolution -- than we got in the original game -- by replacing "art"
> in the above URL successively with "A", "B", etc. up to "L".)
>
> Sometimes we can tell an artwork's nationality even if we don't
> know or have forgotten the artist's name. For questions #1-4,
> we'll give you the name of a country, and you give the letter of
> the painting by a native of that country.
>
> 1. Scotland.

> 2. Germany.
> 3. Denmark.
> 4. Norway.

> After that, please decode the rot13 below to see which letters were
> unused and in each case name the country where the artist was born.
> As you might guess from question #1, the countries of the UK count
> separately for purposes of this round; do not answer "UK".
>
> Countries do not repeat. There were 2 decoys; answer them if you
> like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 5. B.
Holland

> 6. E.
France

> 7. F.
France

> 8. G (decoy).
Canada

> 9. I.
Albania

> 10. J.
Bohemia

> 11. K.
Spain

> 12. L (decoy).
France

Joshua Kreitzer

Dec 2, 2016, 11:13:00 PM12/2/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:6q6dnUiT4dZOj9zFnZ2dnUU7-
XPN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Minerals
>
> Where the question asks for a product, we want a generic term for
> the relevant type of product, not a brand name.
>
> 1. This crystalline form of carbon used to be called "black lead",
> a term still misleadingly applied to it today. Its current and
> correct name was coined in 1789 and comes from the Greek word
> that describes its primary use. What is this mineral called?

graphite

> 3. This mineral is composed of a calcium sulfate dehydrate.
> We know it by a name that comes from the Greek for "chalk"
> or "plaster". Varieties include alabaster, desert rose,
> and selenite. It's used in a range of products but, by far,
> it's most commonly found in a widely used building material.
> What is this mineral?

gypsum

> 4. Not so popular these days, this mineral is cheap and
> fire-resistant with excellent sound absorption properties,
> all of which made it great for use in the home -- if you could
> put up with the lung cancer and mesothelioma. What is it?

asbestos

> 7. Halite is a common mineral. After it's mined and processed,
> we can pick it up at the local supermarket or hardware store
> under what name?

salt

> 9. This element, named from the Swedish for "heavy stone", has
> the highest melting point of any metal which makes it useful
> in drills and missile warheads. We like it because it's used
> in the manufacture of light-bulb filaments and the ball of a
> ballpoint pen. What is it?

tungsten

> 10. In making stainless steel, what is the principal element that
> is alloyed with the iron?

carbon

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Art - Paintings by Country
>
> Please see the handout:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/1-8/national/art.jpg
>
> Sometimes we can tell an artwork's nationality even if we don't
> know or have forgotten the artist's name. For questions #1-4,
> we'll give you the name of a country, and you give the letter of
> the painting by a native of that country.
>
> 1. Scotland.

> 2. Germany.

B; G

> 3. Denmark.

H; L

> 4. Norway.

> After that, please decode the rot13 below to see which letters were
> unused and in each case name the country where the artist was born.
>
> 5. O.

Netherlands

> 6. R.

Mexico

> 7. S.

England

> 8. T (qrpbl).

USA

> 9. V.

Canada

> 10. W.

Spain; France

> 11. X.

Spain; Mexico

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

Dec 4, 2016, 4:44:26 AM12/4/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Minerals
>
> Where the question asks for a product, we want a generic term for
> the relevant type of product, not a brand name.
>
> 1. This crystalline form of carbon used to be called "black lead",
> a term still misleadingly applied to it today. Its current and
> correct name was coined in 1789 and comes from the Greek word
> that describes its primary use. What is this mineral called?

graphite

> 2. This daily-use product contains a number of abrasives --
> including calcium carbonate, mica and titanium -- all held
> together by a silica sludge. Artificial sweeteners are added
> to make it more appealing. Name the product.

toothpaste

> 3. This mineral is composed of a calcium sulfate dehydrate.
> We know it by a name that comes from the Greek for "chalk"
> or "plaster". Varieties include alabaster, desert rose,
> and selenite. It's used in a range of products but, by far,
> it's most commonly found in a widely used building material.
> What is this mineral?

marble

> 4. Not so popular these days, this mineral is cheap and
> fire-resistant with excellent sound absorption properties,
> all of which made it great for use in the home -- if you could
> put up with the lung cancer and mesothelioma. What is it?

asbestos

> 5. Titanium dioxide is used as a whitener to make a number of
> products more appealing -- from paper to plastic to sunscreen.
> Over a century ago, it was introduced as a non-toxic alternative
> to lead in what common renovation product?

paint

> 6. Kaolin is a common aluminum- and silicon-based clay. It's a
> component of porcelain and used in paint. Its most common use
> is in the production of specialty paper. Besides reducing ink
> absorption for a cleaner print, what quality does it impart
> to paper?

water resistance

> 7. Halite is a common mineral. After it's mined and processed,
> we can pick it up at the local supermarket or hardware store
> under what name?

salt

> 8. This material is by definition a mineral, though it's hard to
> see it as such. While unstable at room temperature, its solid
> state has a hardness of 1.5 on the Mohs scale, a specific gravity
> of 0.91, and a hexagonal crystal system. Natural sources of
> this mineral are shrinking, but you can still buy a bag of it
> for a couple of dollars at a supermarket. What is it?

ice

> 9. This element, named from the Swedish for "heavy stone", has
> the highest melting point of any metal which makes it useful
> in drills and missile warheads. We like it because it's used
> in the manufacture of light-bulb filaments and the ball of a
> ballpoint pen. What is it?

tungsten

> 10. In making stainless steel, what is the principal element that
> is alloyed with the iron?

chromium

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Art - Paintings by Country
>
> Please see the handout:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/1-8/national/art.jpg

am unable to load that page. tried on two different computers

> (Or if you like, you can see the 12 paintings individually in higher
> resolution -- than we got in the original game -- by replacing "art"
> in the above URL successively with "A", "B", etc. up to "L".)

can't see those either

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Dec 4, 2016, 12:12:34 PM12/4/16
Mark Brader:
>> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/1-8/national/art.jpg

Dan Tilque:
> am unable to load that page...

Was it 404 (which would be weird) or you couldn't connect to Eskimo (maybe
they had a system problem)?

Anyway, it's working for me now. If you have not read other entrants'
Mark Brader "He added a 3-point lead" is pronounced
Toronto differently in Snooker than in Typography...
m...@vex.net -- Liam Quin

Dan Tilque

Dec 4, 2016, 8:23:23 PM12/4/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Art - Paintings by Country
>
> Please see the handout:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/1-8/national/art.jpg

OK, I can now see that page. Have no clue why I couldn't before. It
seemed to connect to eskimo.com, so I don't know what the problem was.

> (Or if you like, you can see the 12 paintings individually in higher
> resolution -- than we got in the original game -- by replacing "art"
> in the above URL successively with "A", "B", etc. up to "L".)
>
> Sometimes we can tell an artwork's nationality even if we don't
> know or have forgotten the artist's name. For questions #1-4,
> we'll give you the name of a country, and you give the letter of
> the painting by a native of that country.
>
> 1. Scotland.

> 2. Germany.

> 3. Denmark.

> 4. Norway.

A (looks like Munch's style)

> After that, please decode the rot13 below to see which letters were
> unused and in each case name the country where the artist was born.
> As you might guess from question #1, the countries of the UK count
> separately for purposes of this round; do not answer "UK".
>
> Countries do not repeat. There were 2 decoys; answer them if you
> like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 5. O.

Belgium

> 6. R.

Spain

> 7. S.

Netherlands

> 8. T (qrpbl).
> 9. V.

Romania

> 10. W.

England

> 11. X.

France

Calvin

Dec 4, 2016, 11:04:13 PM12/4/16
On Friday, December 2, 2016 at 4:21:13 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Minerals
>
> Where the question asks for a product, we want a generic term for
> the relevant type of product, not a brand name.
>
> 1. This crystalline form of carbon used to be called "black lead",
> a term still misleadingly applied to it today. Its current and
> correct name was coined in 1789 and comes from the Greek word
> that describes its primary use. What is this mineral called?

Graphite

> 2. This daily-use product contains a number of abrasives --
> including calcium carbonate, mica and titanium -- all held
> together by a silica sludge. Artificial sweeteners are added
> to make it more appealing. Name the product.

Toothpaste

> 3. This mineral is composed of a calcium sulfate dehydrate.
> We know it by a name that comes from the Greek for "chalk"
> or "plaster". Varieties include alabaster, desert rose,
> and selenite. It's used in a range of products but, by far,
> it's most commonly found in a widely used building material.
> What is this mineral?

Gyprock

> 4. Not so popular these days, this mineral is cheap and
> fire-resistant with excellent sound absorption properties,
> all of which made it great for use in the home -- if you could
> put up with the lung cancer and mesothelioma. What is it?

Asbestos

> 5. Titanium dioxide is used as a whitener to make a number of
> products more appealing -- from paper to plastic to sunscreen.
> Over a century ago, it was introduced as a non-toxic alternative
> to lead in what common renovation product?

Paint

> 6. Kaolin is a common aluminum- and silicon-based clay. It's a
> component of porcelain and used in paint. Its most common use
> is in the production of specialty paper. Besides reducing ink
> absorption for a cleaner print, what quality does it impart
> to paper?
>
> 7. Halite is a common mineral. After it's mined and processed,
> we can pick it up at the local supermarket or hardware store
> under what name?

Iron

> 8. This material is by definition a mineral, though it's hard to
> see it as such. While unstable at room temperature, its solid
> state has a hardness of 1.5 on the Mohs scale, a specific gravity
> of 0.91, and a hexagonal crystal system. Natural sources of
> this mineral are shrinking, but you can still buy a bag of it
> for a couple of dollars at a supermarket. What is it?

Talc

> 9. This element, named from the Swedish for "heavy stone", has
> the highest melting point of any metal which makes it useful
> in drills and missile warheads. We like it because it's used
> in the manufacture of light-bulb filaments and the ball of a
> ballpoint pen. What is it?

Tungsten

> 10. In making stainless steel, what is the principal element that
> is alloyed with the iron?

Titanium, carbon

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Art - Paintings by Country
>
> Please see the handout:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/1-8/national/art.jpg
>
> (Or if you like, you can see the 12 paintings individually in higher
> resolution -- than we got in the original game -- by replacing "art"
> in the above URL successively with "A", "B", etc. up to "L".)
>
> Sometimes we can tell an artwork's nationality even if we don't
> know or have forgotten the artist's name. For questions #1-4,
> we'll give you the name of a country, and you give the letter of
> the painting by a native of that country.
>
> 1. Scotland.

C, H

> 2. Germany.

D, I

> 3. Denmark.

J, I

> 4. Norway.

A, B

> After that, please decode the rot13 below to see which letters were
> unused and in each case name the country where the artist was born.
> As you might guess from question #1, the countries of the UK count
> separately for purposes of this round; do not answer "UK".
>
> Countries do not repeat. There were 2 decoys; answer them if you
> like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 5. O.

Sweden, Netherlands

> 6. R.

Belgium, France

> 7. S.

England, Wales

> 8. T (qrpbl).

> 9. V.

India, Egypt

> 10. W.

Netherlands, Germany

> 11. X.

Belgium, France

> 12. Y (qrpbl).

USA

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Dec 4, 2016, 11:28:42 PM12/4/16
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-09-19,
> see my recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Minerals

That's Science, of course.

> Where the question asks for a product, we want a generic term for
> the relevant type of product, not a brand name.

This was the easiest round in the original game.

> 1. This crystalline form of carbon used to be called "black lead",
> a term still misleadingly applied to it today. Its current and
> correct name was coined in 1789 and comes from the Greek word
> that describes its primary use. What is this mineral called?

Graphite. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Pete, Erland, Marc, Joshua,
Dan Tilque, and Calvin.

> 2. This daily-use product contains a number of abrasives --
> including calcium carbonate, mica and titanium -- all held
> together by a silica sludge. Artificial sweeteners are added
> to make it more appealing. Name the product.

Toothpaste. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Pete, Marc, Dan Tilque,
and Calvin.

> 3. This mineral is composed of a calcium sulfate dehydrate.
> We know it by a name that comes from the Greek for "chalk"
> or "plaster". Varieties include alabaster, desert rose,
> and selenite. It's used in a range of products but, by far,
> it's most commonly found in a widely used building material.
> What is this mineral?

Gypsum. (Used in drywall, such as Gyprock brand.) 4 for Pete,
Marc, and Joshua.

> 4. Not so popular these days, this mineral is cheap and
> fire-resistant with excellent sound absorption properties,
> all of which made it great for use in the home -- if you could
> put up with the lung cancer and mesothelioma. What is it?

Asbestos. 4 for everyone -- Peter, Dan Blum, Pete, Erl, Björn,
Marc, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Calvin.

> 5. Titanium dioxide is used as a whitener to make a number of
> products more appealing -- from paper to plastic to sunscreen.
> Over a century ago, it was introduced as a non-toxic alternative
> to lead in what common renovation product?

Paint. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Pete, Marc, Dan Tilque, and Calvin.

> 6. Kaolin is a common aluminum- and silicon-based clay. It's a
> component of porcelain and used in paint. Its most common use
> is in the production of specialty paper. Besides reducing ink
> absorption for a cleaner print, what quality does it impart
> to paper?

Gloss and opacity. Either one was acceptable, and I also accepted
"brightness" or "sheen". 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Pete, and Marc.

> 7. Halite is a common mineral. After it's mined and processed,
> we can pick it up at the local supermarket or hardware store
> under what name?

Salt. 4 for Dan Blum, Pete, Marc, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

A shorter form of this question was a Daily Double on "Jeopardy!"
on 2016-11-08.

> 8. This material is by definition a mineral, though it's hard to
> see it as such. While unstable at room temperature, its solid
> state has a hardness of 1.5 on the Mohs scale, a specific gravity
> of 0.91, and a hexagonal crystal system. Natural sources of
> this mineral are shrinking, but you can still buy a bag of it
> for a couple of dollars at a supermarket. What is it?

Ice. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Marc, and Dan Tilque.

> 9. This element, named from the Swedish for "heavy stone", has
> the highest melting point of any metal which makes it useful
> in drills and missile warheads. We like it because it's used
> in the manufacture of light-bulb filaments and the ball of a
> ballpoint pen. What is it?

Tungsten. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Erland, Björn, Marc, Joshua,
Dan Tilque, and Calvin.

Erland and Björn both noted that in Swedish the German name wolfram
is used for the element. Well, of course it is. *They* need the word
"tungsten" available for when they want to talk about heavy stones!
(Nods sagely.)

> 10. In making stainless steel, what is the principal element that
> is alloyed with the iron?

Chromium. (Not nickel, which only some forms of stainless steel
contain. I reluctantly accepted "crominum" for full points.)
4 for Peter, Marc, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Björn.

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Art - Paintings by Country

> Please see the handout:

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/1-8/national/art.jpg

> (Or if you like, you can see the 12 paintings individually in higher
> resolution -- than we got in the original game -- by replacing "art"
> in the above URL successively with "A", "B", etc. up to "L".)

> Sometimes we can tell an artwork's nationality even if we don't
> know or have forgotten the artist's name. For questions #1-4,
> we'll give you the name of a country, and you give the letter of
> the painting by a native of that country.

> 1. Scotland.

D. ("The Reverend Robert Walker Skating on Duddingston Loch", 1790s,
by Henry Raeburn.)

> 2. Germany.

C. ("Wanderer above the Sea of Fog", 1818, by Caspar David
Friedrich.)

> 3. Denmark.

H. ("Interior with Four Etchings", 1905, by Vilhelm Hammarshøi.)
3 for Joshua.

> 4. Norway.

A. ("Melancholy", 1892, by Edvard Munch.) 4 for Pete, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque. 3 for Dan Blum and Calvin.

> After that, please decode the rot13 below to see which letters were
> unused and in each case name the country where the artist was born.
> As you might guess from question #1, the countries of the UK count
> separately for purposes of this round; do not answer "UK".

> Countries do not repeat. There were 2 decoys; answer them if you
> like for fun, but for no points.

> 5. B.

Netherlands (accepting Holland). ("View of Delft", 1661, by Johannes
Vermeer.) 4 for Pete, Marc, and Joshua. 2 for Calvin.

> 6. E.

France. ("Mont-Ste-Victoire", 1895, by Paul Cézanne.) 4 for Marc.
2 for Dan Blum, Pete, and Calvin.

> 7. F.

England. ("Salisbury Cathedral from the Bishop's Grounds", c.1825,
by John Constable.) 4 for Pete, Björn, and Joshua. 3 for Dan Blum
and Calvin.

> 8. G (decoy).

Canada. ("Northern River", 1915, by Tom Thomson.) Pete got this
and then made an illegal extra guess, and Marc also got it.

> 9. I.

USA. ("Fur Traders Descending the Missouri", 1845, by George Caleb
Bingham.)

> 10. J.

Spain. ("Blind Man's Bluff", 1788, by Francisco Goya.) 3 for Joshua.

> 11. K.

Italy. ("Piazza", 1913, by Giorgio de Chirico.) 4 for Pete.
3 for Dan Blum.

> 12. L (decoy).

Belgium. ("The Empire of Lights", 1952, by René Magritte.)

This painting figured in a Daily Double on "Jeopardy!" just one week
later, on 2016-09-26. In their case they gave the title and country
and showed the painting, and asked for the artist.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 1 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Ent Can His Aud Spo Sci Art FIVE
Marc Dashevsky 32 0 28 27 24 40 8 151
Joshua Kreitzer 40 7 28 36 24 20 18 148
Pete Gayde 24 4 12 32 36 28 18 138
Dan Blum 32 0 24 16 12 32 11 116
Stephen Perry -- -- 35 40 36 -- -- 111
Gareth Owen 32 0 20 19 35 -- -- 106
Peter Smyth -- -- 18 4 28 32 0 82
Dan Tilque 12 0 12 0 20 32 4 80
"Calvin" 12 0 22 8 16 20 10 80
Bruce Bowler -- -- 16 16 36 -- -- 68
Erland Sommarskog -- -- 16 0 4 12 0 32
Björn Lundin 0 0 10 0 0 11 4 25
Don Piven -- -- 0 0 24 -- -- 24

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "These Millennia are like buses."
m...@vex.net --Arwel Parry

Björn Lundin

Dec 5, 2016, 3:33:56 AM12/5/16
On 2016-12-05 05:28, Mark Brader wrote:

> Chromium. (Not nickel, which only some forms of stainless steel
> contain. I reluctantly accepted "crominum" for full points.)

Thanks for that.
It makes me happily note that I did not finish last :-)

> Scores, if there are no errors:
>
> GAME 1 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 4 6 7 8 BEST
> TOPICS-> Ent Can His Aud Spo Sci Art FIVE
> Marc Dashevsky 32 0 28 27 24 40 8 151
> Joshua Kreitzer 40 7 28 36 24 20 18 148
> Pete Gayde 24 4 12 32 36 28 18 138
> Dan Blum 32 0 24 16 12 32 11 116