RQFTCI03 Game 10 Rounds 9-10: history dates, challenge round

Mark Brader

Feb 27, 2021, 2:38:10 AM2/27/21
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2003-03-24,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

I wrote one of these rounds.

** Game 10, Round 9 - History - Synchronize Your Calendars

The bad news is that this round is going to have a long preamble.
The good news, at least for those players who desperately need
to catch up at this point, is that it's a precision round, so you
can score up to 60 points. Each question asks for the year of a
certain event. Give it within the required margin and you get the
normal score... but there is a 2-point bonus available for giving
the exact year.

The bonus is available only on your first answer. So if you
answer only once, you can score 6 (exact), 4 (close), or 0 (wrong);
and if you give two guesses, you can score:

6 - first guess exact, second guess close
5 - first guess exact, second guess wrong
4 - first guess close, second guess exact or close
3 - first guess close, second guess wrong
2 - first guess wrong, second guess exact or close
0 - both guesses wrong.

One more thing: we said that there was a specific margin for
"close" answers on each question, but we *aren't going to tell you
in advance* what it is. The rule is that you need to come within
a margin of 2 years *plus one additional year for each century
before the 21st* when the event took place. Thus for 19th-century
events you have to be within 4 years; but for 11th-century events,
if there are any, you can be 12 years off. And similarly for
other centuries.

If there are any questions where *nobody* comes within the allowed
margin, then on those questions only, I will accept an answer within
double the margin (e.g. within 8 years for 19th-century events)
as "almost correct", scoring 1 point less than indicated above.

Got all that? Then here we go.

1. What year did American Commodore Matthew Perry arrive in Japan
for the first time with a small fleet of steam warships, and
begin the negotiations that ended some 250 years of Japanese
isolationism?

2. Alexander the Great died at age 33, ending the largest empire
the world had yet known. In what year?

3. In London, the Great Exhibition of the Industry of All Nations
was held, in the original Crystal Palace, which had been erected
in its original Hyde Park location specifically for that purpose.
In what year?

4. Four years after posting his 95 Theses at Wittenberg, Martin
Luther was called before the Diet ["DEE-et"] of Worms ["VORMSS",
with "orm" as in "form"] and found himself outlawed as well
as excommunicated. When did this punishment happen?

5. What year did the Panama Canal open?

6. What year did the original Canadian Pacific Railway main line
open completely? We want the year that the railway was opened
to the general public for travel over its full length, not the
Last Spike ceremony, which was the year before.

7. When did King John of England sign the Magna Carta, thus
conceding that his royal power was not unlimited?

8. When did the US hold its first elections under the new Constitution
rather than the original Articles of Confederation?

9. Name the year when the Edict of Milan legalized Christianity
in the Roman Empire. It was sponsored by Constantine, who was
not yet the sole Emperor.

10. And finally, to fit the title of the round... name the year
when the British Empire skipped 11 days in September, abandoning
the Julian calendar in favor of the Gregorian.

** Game 10, Round 10 - Challenge Round

* A. Expo 67

A1. Composer Delores Claman, of "Hockey Night in Canada" fame,
co-wrote the score and famous theme song of what film shown
at the Ontario Pavilion?

A2. What was the name of the inverted pyramid structure at the
Canada Pavilion? The name is an Inuktitut word for
"meeting place".

* B. Formula 1 Canadian Grand Prix

B1. Name the track which hosted the inaugural Canadian Grand
Prix in 1967.

B2. Who won the 1978 race, the first one held at what was
then Circuit Île Notre-Dame in Montreal? Give the *first
and last name*.

* C. Stravinsky's "The Rite of Spring"

C1. Who choreographed the original 1913 Paris production of
"The Rite of Spring"?

C2. The music opens with a famous solo for what woodwind
instrument, playing in its extreme upper range?

* D. Radio Hosts

D1. Name the former MuchMusic VJ who """hosts""" CBC Radio's
"Definitely Not the Opera".

D2. For 37 years, he was host of "The Jazz Scene" on CJRT,
"""now""" known as JAZZ FM 91.

* E. Names of Canadian Capitals

E1. Iqaluit is Inuktitut for "place of..." what type of living
thing?

E2. Charlottetown was named for the wife of what monarch?

* F. Weather Terminology

F1. State the name given to a line on a weather map or chart
connecting points of equal pressure.

F2. What is the Fujita scale, also called the Fujita-Pearson
scale, used to classify?

--
Mark Brader | "Which baby is that? Oh, of course -- it must be
Toronto | the one that comes complete with bathwater."

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 27, 2021, 5:06:06 AM2/27/21
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 10, Round 9 - History - Synchronize Your Calendars
> 1. What year did American Commodore Matthew Perry arrive in Japan
> for the first time with a small fleet of steam warships, and
> begin the negotiations that ended some 250 years of Japanese
> isolationism?

1853

> 2. Alexander the Great died at age 33, ending the largest empire
> the world had yet known. In what year?

332 BC

> 3. In London, the Great Exhibition of the Industry of All Nations
> was held, in the original Crystal Palace, which had been erected
> in its original Hyde Park location specifically for that purpose.
> In what year?

1881

> 4. Four years after posting his 95 Theses at Wittenberg, Martin
> Luther was called before the Diet ["DEE-et"] of Worms ["VORMSS",
> with "orm" as in "form"] and found himself outlawed as well
> as excommunicated. When did this punishment happen?

1519

> 5. What year did the Panama Canal open?

1901

> 6. What year did the original Canadian Pacific Railway main line
> open completely? We want the year that the railway was opened
> to the general public for travel over its full length, not the
> Last Spike ceremony, which was the year before.

1886

> 7. When did King John of England sign the Magna Carta, thus
> conceding that his royal power was not unlimited?

1216

> 8. When did the US hold its first elections under the new Constitution
> rather than the original Articles of Confederation?

1789

> 9. Name the year when the Edict of Milan legalized Christianity
> in the Roman Empire. It was sponsored by Constantine, who was
> not yet the sole Emperor.

AD 321

> 10. And finally, to fit the title of the round... name the year
> when the British Empire skipped 11 days in September, abandoning
> the Julian calendar in favor of the Gregorian.

1752

> ** Game 10, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> B2. Who won the 1978 race, the first one held at what was
> then Circuit Île Notre-Dame in Montreal? Give the *first
> and last name*.

James Hunt

> C2. The music opens with a famous solo for what woodwind
> instrument, playing in its extreme upper range?

Oboe

> F1. State the name given to a line on a weather map or chart
> connecting points of equal pressure.

Isobar

Dan Tilque

Feb 27, 2021, 7:25:14 AM2/27/21
1853

> 2. Alexander the Great died at age 33, ending the largest empire
> the world had yet known. In what year?

323 BC

> 3. In London, the Great Exhibition of the Industry of All Nations
> was held, in the original Crystal Palace, which had been erected
> in its original Hyde Park location specifically for that purpose.
> In what year?

1869

> 4. Four years after posting his 95 Theses at Wittenberg, Martin
> Luther was called before the Diet ["DEE-et"] of Worms ["VORMSS",
> with "orm" as in "form"] and found himself outlawed as well
> as excommunicated. When did this punishment happen? >
> 5. What year did the Panama Canal open?

1913

> 6. What year did the original Canadian Pacific Railway main line
> open completely? We want the year that the railway was opened
> to the general public for travel over its full length, not the
> Last Spike ceremony, which was the year before.

1884

> 7. When did King John of England sign the Magna Carta, thus
> conceding that his royal power was not unlimited?

1215

> 8. When did the US hold its first elections under the new Constitution
> rather than the original Articles of Confederation?

1788

> 9. Name the year when the Edict of Milan legalized Christianity
> in the Roman Empire. It was sponsored by Constantine, who was
> not yet the sole Emperor.

300

> 10. And finally, to fit the title of the round... name the year
> when the British Empire skipped 11 days in September, abandoning
> the Julian calendar in favor of the Gregorian.

1752

> ** Game 10, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Expo 67
>
> A1. Composer Delores Claman, of "Hockey Night in Canada" fame,
> co-wrote the score and famous theme song of what film shown
> at the Ontario Pavilion?
>
> A2. What was the name of the inverted pyramid structure at the
> Canada Pavilion? The name is an Inuktitut word for
> "meeting place".
>

> * B. Formula 1 Canadian Grand Prix
>
> B1. Name the track which hosted the inaugural Canadian Grand
> Prix in 1967.
>
> B2. Who won the 1978 race, the first one held at what was
> then Circuit Île Notre-Dame in Montreal? Give the *first
> and last name*.
>

> * C. Stravinsky's "The Rite of Spring"
>
> C1. Who choreographed the original 1913 Paris production of
> "The Rite of Spring"?
>
> C2. The music opens with a famous solo for what woodwind
> instrument, playing in its extreme upper range?

clarinet

> * D. Radio Hosts
>
> D1. Name the former MuchMusic VJ who """hosts""" CBC Radio's
> "Definitely Not the Opera".
>
> D2. For 37 years, he was host of "The Jazz Scene" on CJRT,
> """now""" known as JAZZ FM 91.
>

> * E. Names of Canadian Capitals
>
> E1. Iqaluit is Inuktitut for "place of..." what type of living
> thing?

fish

> E2. Charlottetown was named for the wife of what monarch?

George III

> * F. Weather Terminology
>
> F1. State the name given to a line on a weather map or chart
> connecting points of equal pressure.
>
> F2. What is the Fujita scale, also called the Fujita-Pearson
> scale, used to classify?

intensity of tornados

--
Dan Tilque

Dan Blum

Feb 27, 2021, 10:47:11 AM2/27/21
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 10, Round 9 - History - Synchronize Your Calendars

> 1. What year did American Commodore Matthew Perry arrive in Japan
> for the first time with a small fleet of steam warships, and
> begin the negotiations that ended some 250 years of Japanese
> isolationism?

1858

> 2. Alexander the Great died at age 33, ending the largest empire
> the world had yet known. In what year?

323 BCE

> 3. In London, the Great Exhibition of the Industry of All Nations
> was held, in the original Crystal Palace, which had been erected
> in its original Hyde Park location specifically for that purpose.
> In what year?

1870; 1880

> 4. Four years after posting his 95 Theses at Wittenberg, Martin
> Luther was called before the Diet ["DEE-et"] of Worms ["VORMSS",
> with "orm" as in "form"] and found himself outlawed as well
> as excommunicated. When did this punishment happen?

1521

> 5. What year did the Panama Canal open?

1914

> 6. What year did the original Canadian Pacific Railway main line
> open completely? We want the year that the railway was opened
> to the general public for travel over its full length, not the
> Last Spike ceremony, which was the year before.

1883

> 7. When did King John of England sign the Magna Carta, thus
> conceding that his royal power was not unlimited?

1215

> 8. When did the US hold its first elections under the new Constitution
> rather than the original Articles of Confederation?

1788

> 9. Name the year when the Edict of Milan legalized Christianity
> in the Roman Empire. It was sponsored by Constantine, who was
> not yet the sole Emperor.

301

> 10. And finally, to fit the title of the round... name the year
> when the British Empire skipped 11 days in September, abandoning
> the Julian calendar in favor of the Gregorian.

1752

> ** Game 10, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * C. Stravinsky's "The Rite of Spring"

> C1. Who choreographed the original 1913 Paris production of
> "The Rite of Spring"?

Balanchine

> C2. The music opens with a famous solo for what woodwind
> instrument, playing in its extreme upper range?

oboe; clarinet

> * E. Names of Canadian Capitals

> E2. Charlottetown was named for the wife of what monarch?

George IV

> * F. Weather Terminology

> F1. State the name given to a line on a weather map or chart
> connecting points of equal pressure.

isobar

> F2. What is the Fujita scale, also called the Fujita-Pearson
> scale, used to classify?

tornadoes

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

Feb 27, 2021, 10:53:28 AM2/27/21
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:m4WdnR4bNNpBa6T9nZ2dnUU7-
XnN...@giganews.com:

> ** Game 10, Round 9 - History - Synchronize Your Calendars
>
> The bad news is that this round is going to have a long preamble.
> The good news, at least for those players who desperately need
> to catch up at this point, is that it's a precision round, so you
> can score up to 60 points. Each question asks for the year of a
> certain event. Give it within the required margin and you get the
> normal score... but there is a 2-point bonus available for giving
> the exact year.
>
> 1. What year did American Commodore Matthew Perry arrive in Japan
> for the first time with a small fleet of steam warships, and
> begin the negotiations that ended some 250 years of Japanese
> isolationism?

1844; 1853

> 2. Alexander the Great died at age 33, ending the largest empire
> the world had yet known. In what year?

360 BCE

> 3. In London, the Great Exhibition of the Industry of All Nations
> was held, in the original Crystal Palace, which had been erected
> in its original Hyde Park location specifically for that purpose.
> In what year?

1855

> 4. Four years after posting his 95 Theses at Wittenberg, Martin
> Luther was called before the Diet ["DEE-et"] of Worms ["VORMSS",
> with "orm" as in "form"] and found himself outlawed as well
> as excommunicated. When did this punishment happen?

1521

> 5. What year did the Panama Canal open?

1906; 1911

> 6. What year did the original Canadian Pacific Railway main line
> open completely? We want the year that the railway was opened
> to the general public for travel over its full length, not the
> Last Spike ceremony, which was the year before.

1870; 1879

> 7. When did King John of England sign the Magna Carta, thus
> conceding that his royal power was not unlimited?

1215

> 8. When did the US hold its first elections under the new Constitution
> rather than the original Articles of Confederation?

1789

> 9. Name the year when the Edict of Milan legalized Christianity
> in the Roman Empire. It was sponsored by Constantine, who was
> not yet the sole Emperor.

305

> 10. And finally, to fit the title of the round... name the year
> when the British Empire skipped 11 days in September, abandoning
> the Julian calendar in favor of the Gregorian.

1752

> ** Game 10, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * C. Stravinsky's "The Rite of Spring"
>
> C1. Who choreographed the original 1913 Paris production of
> "The Rite of Spring"?

Diaghilev

> C2. The music opens with a famous solo for what woodwind
> instrument, playing in its extreme upper range?

flute; oboe

> * E. Names of Canadian Capitals
>
> E1. Iqaluit is Inuktitut for "place of..." what type of living
> thing?

polar bears; seals

> E2. Charlottetown was named for the wife of what monarch?

King George III

> * F. Weather Terminology
>
> F1. State the name given to a line on a weather map or chart
> connecting points of equal pressure.

isobar

> F2. What is the Fujita scale, also called the Fujita-Pearson
> scale, used to classify?

tornadoes

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Pete Gayde

Mar 1, 2021, 12:10:55 AM3/1/21
1840; 1835

> 2. Alexander the Great died at age 33, ending the largest empire
> the world had yet known. In what year?

55 BC

> 3. In London, the Great Exhibition of the Industry of All Nations
> was held, in the original Crystal Palace, which had been erected
> in its original Hyde Park location specifically for that purpose.
> In what year?

1845; 1850

> 4. Four years after posting his 95 Theses at Wittenberg, Martin
> Luther was called before the Diet ["DEE-et"] of Worms ["VORMSS",
> with "orm" as in "form"] and found himself outlawed as well
> as excommunicated. When did this punishment happen?

1521

> 5. What year did the Panama Canal open?

1911

> 6. What year did the original Canadian Pacific Railway main line
> open completely? We want the year that the railway was opened
> to the general public for travel over its full length, not the
> Last Spike ceremony, which was the year before.

1880; 1885

> 7. When did King John of England sign the Magna Carta, thus
> conceding that his royal power was not unlimited?

1261; 1251

> 8. When did the US hold its first elections under the new Constitution
> rather than the original Articles of Confederation?

1796

> 9. Name the year when the Edict of Milan legalized Christianity
> in the Roman Empire. It was sponsored by Constantine, who was
> not yet the sole Emperor.

450; 400

> 10. And finally, to fit the title of the round... name the year
> when the British Empire skipped 11 days in September, abandoning
> the Julian calendar in favor of the Gregorian.

1820; 18325

> ** Game 10, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Expo 67
>
> A1. Composer Delores Claman, of "Hockey Night in Canada" fame,
> co-wrote the score and famous theme song of what film shown
> at the Ontario Pavilion?

Terres des Hommes

> A2. What was the name of the inverted pyramid structure at the
> Canada Pavilion? The name is an Inuktitut word for
> "meeting place".
>

> * B. Formula 1 Canadian Grand Prix
>
> B1. Name the track which hosted the inaugural Canadian Grand
> Prix in 1967.
>
> B2. Who won the 1978 race, the first one held at what was
> then Circuit Île Notre-Dame in Montreal? Give the *first
> and last name*.

Gilles Villeneuve; Alain Prost

> * C. Stravinsky's "The Rite of Spring"
>
> C1. Who choreographed the original 1913 Paris production of
> "The Rite of Spring"?

Nijinsky; Fokine

> C2. The music opens with a famous solo for what woodwind
> instrument, playing in its extreme upper range?

Bassoon

> * D. Radio Hosts
>
> D1. Name the former MuchMusic VJ who """hosts""" CBC Radio's
> "Definitely Not the Opera".
>
> D2. For 37 years, he was host of "The Jazz Scene" on CJRT,
> """now""" known as JAZZ FM 91.
>

> * E. Names of Canadian Capitals
>
> E1. Iqaluit is Inuktitut for "place of..." what type of living
> thing?

Polar bear

> E2. Charlottetown was named for the wife of what monarch?

George III

> * F. Weather Terminology
>
> F1. State the name given to a line on a weather map or chart
> connecting points of equal pressure.

Isobar

> F2. What is the Fujita scale, also called the Fujita-Pearson
> scale, used to classify?

Hurricanes

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Mar 2, 2021, 12:44:58 AM3/2/21
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2003-03-24,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> I wrote one of these rounds.

That was the history round.

Game 10 is over and, if there are no errors, the winner is
DAN BLUM by a margin of 4 points! Hearty congratulations!
Because of the special scoring, please do check your scores in
case I got something wrong.

> If there are any questions where *nobody* comes within the allowed
> margin, then on those questions only, I will accept an answer within
> double the margin (e.g. within 8 years for 19th-century events)
> as "almost correct", scoring 1 point less than indicated above.

There were no questions where this happened.

> 1. What year did American Commodore Matthew Perry arrive in Japan
> for the first time with a small fleet of steam warships, and
> begin the negotiations that ended some 250 years of Japanese
> isolationism?

1853 (or for no bonus, accepting 1849-57). 6 for Erland
and Dan Tilque. 2 for Joshua.

> 2. Alexander the Great died at age 33, ending the largest empire
> the world had yet known. In what year?

323 BC (297-349 BC). 6 for Dan Tilque and Dan Blum. 4 for Erland.

> 3. In London, the Great Exhibition of the Industry of All Nations
> was held, in the original Crystal Palace, which had been erected
> in its original Hyde Park location specifically for that purpose.
> In what year?

1851 (1847-55). 4 for Joshua. 2 for Pete.

> 4. Four years after posting his 95 Theses at Wittenberg, Martin
> Luther was called before the Diet ["DEE-et"] of Worms ["VORMSS",
> with "orm" as in "form"] and found himself outlawed as well
> as excommunicated. When did this punishment happen?

1521 (1514-28). 6 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete. 4 for Erland.

> 5. What year did the Panama Canal open?

1914 (1911-17). 6 for Dan Blum. 4 for Dan Tilque and Pete.
2 for Joshua.

> 6. What year did the original Canadian Pacific Railway main line
> open completely? We want the year that the railway was opened
> to the general public for travel over its full length, not the
> Last Spike ceremony, which was the year before.

1886 (1882-90). 6 for Erland. 4 for Dan Tilque and Dan Blum.
2 for Pete.

> 7. When did King John of England sign the Magna Carta, thus
> conceding that his royal power was not unlimited?

1215 (1205-25). 6 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Joshua.
4 for Erland.

> 8. When did the US hold its first elections under the new Constitution
> rather than the original Articles of Confederation?

Accepting 1788 or 1789; see below. (For no bonus, 1787-94).
6 for Erland, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

The Constitution was actually unconstitutional at that point under
the Articles of Confederation, as the Articles required the consent
of all 13 states to any changes, and this was not obtained until 1790.
As to the date, I should have been more specific. It's usually given
as 1789, but six of the states held a popular vote to choose their
electors for the presidency, and this took place not on a single
day but over an extended period in December 1788 and January 1789.

> 9. Name the year when the Edict of Milan legalized Christianity
> in the Roman Empire. It was sponsored by Constantine, who was
> not yet the sole Emperor.

313 (294-332). 4 for Erland, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 10. And finally, to fit the title of the round... name the year
> when the British Empire skipped 11 days in September, abandoning
> the Julian calendar in favor of the Gregorian.

1752 (1747-57). 6 for Erland, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> ** Game 10, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. Expo 67

> A1. Composer Delores Claman, of "Hockey Night in Canada" fame,
> co-wrote the score and famous theme song of what film shown
> at the Ontario Pavilion?

"A Place to Stand".

> A2. What was the name of the inverted pyramid structure at the
> Canada Pavilion? The name is an Inuktitut word for
> "meeting place".

Katimavik.

> * B. Formula 1 Canadian Grand Prix

> B1. Name the track which hosted the inaugural Canadian Grand
> Prix in 1967.

Mosport Park.

> B2. Who won the 1978 race, the first one held at what was
> then Circuit Île Notre-Dame in Montreal? Give the *first
> and last name*.

Gilles Villeneuve (not his son Jacques). In 1982 the track was
renamed after him. 3 for Pete.

> * C. Stravinsky's "The Rite of Spring"

> C1. Who choreographed the original 1913 Paris production of
> "The Rite of Spring"?

Vaslav Nijinsky. 3 for Pete.

> C2. The music opens with a famous solo for what woodwind
> instrument, playing in its extreme upper range?

Bassoon. 4 for Pete.

> * D. Radio Hosts

> D1. Name the former MuchMusic VJ who """hosts""" CBC Radio's
> "Definitely Not the Opera".

Sook-Yin Lee. (The show ended in 2016.)

> D2. For 37 years, he was host of "The Jazz Scene" on CJRT,
> """now""" known as JAZZ FM 91.

Ted O'Reilly. (Still true.)

> * E. Names of Canadian Capitals

> E1. Iqaluit is Inuktitut for "place of..." what type of living
> thing?

Fish. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> E2. Charlottetown was named for the wife of what monarch?

King George III. 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, and Pete.

> * F. Weather Terminology

> F1. State the name given to a line on a weather map or chart
> connecting points of equal pressure.

Isobar. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

> F2. What is the Fujita scale, also called the Fujita-Pearson
> scale, used to classify?

Tornadoes. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 10 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Lit Ent Sci Lei Can Lit His Cha SIX
Dan Blum 16 20 15 27 4 38 44 8 160
Joshua Kreitzer 8 32 3 28 0 40 36 12 156
Pete Gayde 4 40 20 20 21 17 14 18 136
Dan Tilque 8 12 4 20 22 16 42 12 124
Erland Sommarskog 4 23 8 16 0 4 40 4 95

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Accuracy is many ways more important speed."
m...@vex.net | --David Kleinecke

Erland Sommarskog

Mar 2, 2021, 2:12:14 PM3/2/21
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
>> 6. What year did the original Canadian Pacific Railway main line
>> open completely? We want the year that the railway was opened
>> to the general public for travel over its full length, not the
>> Last Spike ceremony, which was the year before.
>
> 1886 (1882-90). 6 for Erland. 4 for Dan Tilque and Dan Blum.
> 2 for Pete.

Lest think people think I'm a total nerd, I need to add to my defence
that I had no stinking idea and just took a year out of thin year.

Dan Blum

Mar 2, 2021, 7:14:56 PM3/2/21
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> Game 10 is over and, if there are no errors, the winner is
> DAN BLUM by a margin of 4 points! Hearty congratulations!

Thanks!

The one place where I know I benefited from having this quiz run now
instead of years earlier was on the Martin Luther question; the 500th
anniversary of the 95 Theses was fairly well promoted in 2017 (there
was all sorts of merchandise, including an incongruously cheerful
Playmobil figure).