Calvin's Quiz #414

Calvin

Nov 1, 2015, 8:59:43 PM11/1/15
1 Which English economist, MP and scientist (1623 to 1687) is credited with originating the philosophy of laissez-faire in relation to government activity?
2 What is the square root of one quarter?
3 Which US state shares a border with three Canadian provinces - British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan?
4 What is the English title of Sergio Leonie's 1966 film "Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo"?
5 Which two words complete the opening line to JM Barrie's 1911 novel Peter Pan: "All children, except one, ________"?
6 Bill Ranic won the first season of which American reality show?
7 What is the smallest planet in the solar system?
8 Which gas gives soft drinks their fizz?
9 Gaining independence in 1992, which Balkan country (pop. 3.8 million) is almost entirely landlocked, but for 20 kilometres of coastline on the Adriatic Sea around the city of Neum?
10 Nicknamed "Ginger Jesus", his first two albums are named after mathematical symbols. Which English singer-songwriter topped the ARIA charts in 2014 with his second album 'X' (or 'Multiply')?

cheers,
calvin

Chris F.A. Johnson

Nov 1, 2015, 9:40:03 PM11/1/15
On 2015-11-02, Calvin wrote:
> 1 Which English economist, MP and scientist (1623 to 1687) is credited with originating the philosophy of laissez-faire in relation to government activity?

Adam Smith

> 2 What is the square root of one quarter?

1/2

> 3 Which US state shares a border with three Canadian provinces - British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan?

Montana

> 4 What is the English title of Sergio Leonie's 1966 film "Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo"?

"The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

> 5 Which two words complete the opening line to JM Barrie's 1911 novel Peter Pan: "All children, except one, ________"?

grow up

> 6 Bill Ranic won the first season of which American reality show?

Survivor

> 7 What is the smallest planet in the solar system?

Mercury (since Pluto is not a planet)

> 8 Which gas gives soft drinks their fizz?

Carbon dioxide

> 9 Gaining independence in 1992, which Balkan country (pop. 3.8 million) is almost entirely landlocked, but for 20 kilometres of coastline on the Adriatic Sea around the city of Neum?

Slovenia

--
Chris F.A. Johnson

Mark Brader

Nov 2, 2015, 12:09:52 AM11/2/15
Calvin:
> 1 Which English economist, MP and scientist (1623 to 1687) is
> credited with originating the philosophy of laissez-faire in
> relation to government activity?

Gresham?

> 2 What is the square root of one quarter?

1/2.

> 3 Which US state shares a border with three Canadian provinces
> - British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan?

Montana.

> 4 What is the English title of Sergio Leonie's 1966 film "Il
> buono, il brutto, il cattivo"?

"The Good, the Bad and the Ugly".

> 5 Which two words complete the opening line to JM Barrie's
> 1911 novel Peter Pan: "All children, except one, ________"?

"Grow up".

> 6 Bill Ranic won the first season of which American reality show?

"America's Got Talent"?

> 7 What is the smallest planet in the solar system?

Pluto, dammit. (But officially, Mercury.)

> 8 Which gas gives soft drinks their fizz?

Carbon dioxide.

> 9 Gaining independence in 1992, which Balkan country (pop. 3.8
> million) is almost entirely landlocked, but for 20 kilometres
> of coastline on the Adriatic Sea around the city of Neum?

Bosnia & Herzegovina.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | Any company large enough to have a research lab
m...@vex.net | is large enough not to listen to it. --Alan Kay

Marc Dashevsky

Nov 2, 2015, 12:39:58 AM11/2/15
In article <fe4b098a-5b48-4824...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> 1 Which English economist, MP and scientist (1623 to 1687) is credited with originating the philosophy of laissez-faire in relation to government activity?
> 2 What is the square root of one quarter?
one half

> 3 Which US state shares a border with three Canadian provinces - British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan?
Montana

> 4 What is the English title of Sergio Leonie's 1966 film "Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo"?
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

> 5 Which two words complete the opening line to JM Barrie's 1911 novel Peter Pan: "All children, except one, ________"?
grow up

> 6 Bill Ranic won the first season of which American reality show?
> 7 What is the smallest planet in the solar system?
Mercury

> 8 Which gas gives soft drinks their fizz?
carbon dioxide

> 9 Gaining independence in 1992, which Balkan country (pop. 3.8 million) is almost entirely landlocked, but for 20 kilometres of coastline on the Adriatic Sea around the city of Neum?
Bosnia and Herzegovina

> 10 Nicknamed "Ginger Jesus", his first two albums are named after mathematical symbols. Which English singer-songwriter topped the ARIA charts in 2014 with his second album 'X' (or 'Multiply')?
>
> cheers,
> calvin

Dan Tilque

Nov 2, 2015, 2:55:35 AM11/2/15
Calvin wrote:
> 1 Which English economist, MP and scientist (1623 to 1687) is credited with originating the philosophy of laissez-faire in relation to government activity?

Adam Smith

> 2 What is the square root of one quarter?

one half

> 3 Which US state shares a border with three Canadian provinces - British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan?

Montana

> 4 What is the English title of Sergio Leonie's 1966 film "Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo"?

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

> 5 Which two words complete the opening line to JM Barrie's 1911 novel Peter Pan: "All children, except one, ________"?

grow up

> 6 Bill Ranic won the first season of which American reality show?
> 7 What is the smallest planet in the solar system?

Mercury

> 8 Which gas gives soft drinks their fizz?

carbon dioxide

> 9 Gaining independence in 1992, which Balkan country (pop. 3.8 million) is almost entirely landlocked, but for 20 kilometres of coastline on the Adriatic Sea around the city of Neum?

Bosnia and Herzegovina

> 10 Nicknamed "Ginger Jesus", his first two albums are named after mathematical symbols. Which English singer-songwriter topped the ARIA charts in 2014 with his second album 'X' (or 'Multiply')?

--
Dan Tilque

bbowler

Nov 2, 2015, 10:21:31 AM11/2/15
On Sun, 01 Nov 2015 17:59:42 -0800, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which English economist, MP and scientist (1623 to 1687) is
credited
> with originating the philosophy of laissez-faire in relation to
> government activity?
> 2 What is the square root of one quarter?

1/2

> 3 Which US state shares a border with three Canadian provinces -
British
> Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan?

Montana?

> 4 What is the English title of Sergio Leonie's 1966 film "Il buono,
il
> brutto, il cattivo"?

The good, the bad and the ugly

> 5 Which two words complete the opening line to JM Barrie's 1911 novel
> Peter Pan: "All children, except one, ________"?

grow up

> 6 Bill Ranic won the first season of which American reality show?
> 7 What is the smallest planet in the solar system?

Mercury

> 8 Which gas gives soft drinks their fizz?

Carbon Dioxide

Erland Sommarskog

Nov 2, 2015, 11:02:37 AM11/2/15
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 Which English economist, MP and scientist (1623 to 1687) is
> credited with originating the philosophy of laissez-faire in relation to
> government activity?

John Hull

½

> 3 Which US state shares a border with three Canadian provinces -
> British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan?

Montana

> 4 What is the English title of Sergio Leonie's 1966 film "Il buono,
> il brutto, il cattivo"?

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

> 7 What is the smallest planet in the solar system?

Mercury (now that Pluto has been demoted as such).

> 8 Which gas gives soft drinks their fizz?

CO2

> 9 Gaining independence in 1992, which Balkan country (pop. 3.8
> million) is almost entirely landlocked, but for 20 kilometres of
> coastline on the Adriatic Sea around the city of Neum?

Bosnia-Hercegovina

Peter Smyth

Nov 2, 2015, 1:25:22 PM11/2/15
Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which English economist, MP and scientist (1623 to 1687) is
> credited with originating the philosophy of laissez-faire in relation
> to government activity?

Adam Smith

> 2 What is the square root of one quarter?

1/2

> 3 Which US state shares a border with three Canadian provinces -
> British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan?

Montana

> 4 What is the English title of Sergio Leonie's 1966 film "Il buono,
> il brutto, il cattivo"?

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

> 5 Which two words complete the opening line to JM Barrie's 1911
> novel Peter Pan: "All children, except one, ________"?

Grow Up

> 6 Bill Ranic won the first season of which American reality show?

The Apprentice

> 7 What is the smallest planet in the solar system?

Mercury (assuming you don't count Pluto)

> 8 Which gas gives soft drinks their fizz?

Carbon dioxide

> 9 Gaining independence in 1992, which Balkan country (pop. 3.8
> million) is almost entirely landlocked, but for 20 kilometres of
> coastline on the Adriatic Sea around the city of Neum?

Bosnia-Herzegovina

> 10 Nicknamed "Ginger Jesus", his first two albums are named after
> mathematical symbols. Which English singer-songwriter topped the ARIA
> charts in 2014 with his second album 'X' (or 'Multiply')?

Ed Sheeran

Peter Smyth

Gareth Owen

Nov 2, 2015, 3:23:58 PM11/2/15
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:

> 1 Which English economist, MP and scientist (1623 to 1687) is credited
> with originating the philosophy of laissez-faire in relation to
> government activity?

No freaking idea

> 2 What is the square root of one quarter?

1/2

> 3 Which US state shares a border with three Canadian provinces -
> British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan?

Washington?

> 4 What is the English title of Sergio Leonie's 1966 film "Il buono, il
> brutto, il cattivo"?

The Good, The Bad & the Ugly

> 5 Which two words complete the opening line to JM Barrie's 1911 novel
> Peter Pan: "All children, except one, ________"?

Grow Up

> 6 Bill Ranic won the first season of which American reality show?

The Apprentice?

> 7 What is the smallest planet in the solar system?

Mercury

> 8 Which gas gives soft drinks their fizz?

CO2

> 9 Gaining independence in 1992, which Balkan country (pop. 3.8
> million) is almost entirely landlocked, but for 20 kilometres of
> coastline on the Adriatic Sea around the city of Neum?

Macedonia?

> 10 Nicknamed "Ginger Jesus", his first two albums are named after
> mathematical symbols. Which English singer-songwriter topped the ARIA
> charts in 2014 with his second album 'X' (or 'Multiply')?

Ed Sheeran

Pete

Nov 2, 2015, 7:14:59 PM11/2/15
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 Which English economist, MP and scientist (1623 to 1687) is
> credited with originating the philosophy of laissez-faire in relation
> to government activity?
> 2 What is the square root of one quarter?

1/2

> 3 Which US state shares a border with three Canadian provinces -
> British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan?

Montana

> 4 What is the English
> title of Sergio Leonie's 1966 film "Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo"?

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

> 5 Which two words complete the opening line to JM Barrie's 1911
> novel Peter Pan: "All children, except one, ________"?

grow old

> 6 Bill Ranic won the first season of which American reality show?

Survivor

> 7 What is the smallest planet in the solar system?

Mercury

> 8 Which gas gives soft drinks their fizz?

Carbon Dioxide

> 9 Gaining independence in 1992, which Balkan
> country (pop. 3.8 million) is almost entirely landlocked, but for 20
> kilometres of coastline on the Adriatic Sea around the city of Neum?

Montenegro

> 10 Nicknamed "Ginger Jesus", his first two albums are named after
> mathematical symbols. Which English singer-songwriter topped the ARIA
> charts in 2014 with his second album 'X' (or 'Multiply')?
>
> cheers,
> calvin

Pete

Björn Lundin

Nov 3, 2015, 1:25:56 PM11/3/15
On 2015-11-02 02:59, Calvin wrote:
> 1 Which English economist, MP and scientist (1623 to 1687) is credited with originating the philosophy of laissez-faire in relation to government activity?
> 2 What is the square root of one quarter?
1/2

> 3 Which US state shares a border with three Canadian provinces - British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan?
Ohio?
> 4 What is the English title of Sergio Leonie's 1966 film "Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo"?
The good, the bad and the ugly
> 5 Which two words complete the opening line to JM Barrie's 1911 novel Peter Pan: "All children, except one, ________"?
grows up

> 6 Bill Ranic won the first season of which American reality show?
American Idol ?
> 7 What is the smallest planet in the solar system?
Mercury (since pluto is a dwarf nowadays)
> 8 Which gas gives soft drinks their fizz?
Carbondioxid
> 9 Gaining independence in 1992, which Balkan country (pop. 3.8 million) is almost entirely landlocked, but for 20 kilometres of coastline on the Adriatic Sea around the city of Neum?
Bosnia-Hercegovina
> 10 Nicknamed "Ginger Jesus", his first two albums are named after mathematical symbols. Which English singer-songwriter topped the ARIA charts in 2014 with his second album 'X' (or 'Multiply')?
>
> cheers,
> calvin

Björn

Calvin

Nov 8, 2015, 5:37:51 PM11/8/15
On Monday, November 2, 2015 at 11:59:43 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which English economist, MP and scientist (1623 to 1687) is credited with originating the philosophy of laissez-faire in relation to government activity?

Sir William Petty
http://www.economist.com/news/finance-and-economics/21591842-meet-sir-william-petty-man-who-invented-economics-petty-impressive

> 2 What is the square root of one quarter?

0.5

> 3 Which US state shares a border with three Canadian provinces - British Columbia, Alberta and Saskatchewan?

Montana

> 4 What is the English title of Sergio Leonie's 1966 film "Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo"?

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.
At least no-one suggested rgt :-)

> 5 Which two words complete the opening line to JM Barrie's 1911 novel Peter Pan: "All children, except one, ________"?

Grow up

> 6 Bill Ranic won the first season of which American reality show?

The Apprentice
I don't care either

> 7 What is the smallest planet in the solar system?

Mercury

> 8 Which gas gives soft drinks their fizz?

CO2

> 9 Gaining independence in 1992, which Balkan country (pop. 3.8 million) is almost entirely landlocked, but for 20 kilometres of coastline on the Adriatic Sea around the city of Neum?

Bosnia (and Herzegovina)

> 10 Nicknamed "Ginger Jesus", his first two albums are named after mathematical symbols. Which English singer-songwriter topped the ARIA charts in 2014 with his second album 'X' (or 'Multiply')?

Ed Sheeran

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 414
0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 9 61 Peter Smyth
0 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 7 45 Gareth Owen
0 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 7 48 Marc Dashevsky
0 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 7 48 Dan Tilque
0 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 6 37 Pete Gayde
0 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 6 38 Erland S
0 1 0 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 6 39 Bjorn Lundin
0 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 6 41 Chris Johnson
0 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 6 41 Bruce Bowler
0 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 6 44 Mark Brader
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
0 10 8 10 8 3 9 10 6 2 66 66%

Congratulations Peter on a convincing win over an otherwise tightly packed field.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Nov 9, 2015, 1:23:13 AM11/9/15
"Calvin":
> 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 6 44 Mark Brader

Harrumph.
--
Mark Brader | "Sir, your composure baffles me. A single counterexample
Toronto | refutes a conjecture as effectively as ten... Hands up!

Erland Sommarskog

Nov 9, 2015, 3:12:16 AM11/9/15
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
>> 9 Gaining independence in 1992, which Balkan country (pop. 3.8
>> million) is almost entirely landlocked, but for 20 kilometres of
>> coastline on the Adriatic Sea around the city of Neum?
>
> Bosnia (and Herzegovina)

Given where Neum is located, it would be more appropriate to have the
parentheses the other way round:

(Bosnia and) Herzegovina.