Rotating Quiz #195: Shiny Edition

Dan Blum

Aug 28, 2015, 5:02:40 PM8/28/15
This is Rotating Quiz 195. Entries must be posted by Friday, September
4th, 2015 at 11 PM (Eastern Daylight Time).

Usual rules: no looking anything up, no discussion, etc. The winner
gets to create the next RQ.

Please post your answers to all questions in a single followup in the
newsgroup, quoting the questions and placing your answer below each
one. Only one answer is allowed per question.

The answers have a theme. Unlike in some previous RQs the scoring is
not affected by the theme. Instead it is a simple 1 point per correct
answer. If the answer is a person's name the surname is sufficient,
but if other names are given they must be correct. If the answer is
not a person's name then all commonly-used parts of the answer must be
given (e.g. if the answer to a question were "Deutsche Bank" both
words would be required, but the "AG" at the end would not be).

In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be whoever scored on the
hardest questions (defined post-facto as the ones which the fewest
people got right). Second tiebreaker will be posting order.

1. While not as well-known as the Grand Canyon, this system of six
canyons in the state of Chihuahua in Mexio is larger, and some parts
of it are deeper.

2. This Canadian actor has appeared in many movies and TV shows over
the years, including Scanners, at least two V series, Total Recall,
and Terminator Salvation , and has also done a lot of voice acting for
animated TV shows (such as Transformers Prime) and video games. He
shares a surname with a man who was Chief of the Imperial General
Staff early in WWII.

3. This American statistician spent a number of years analyzing
baseball but is better-known now for his political analsyses; in 2008
he correctly predicted the winner of all US Senate races and the
winner of 49 states in the presidential election. He is currently
editor-in-chief of ESPN's FiveThirtyEight blog.

4. This US-based investment banking firm is one of the largest in the
world. It was founded in 1869, joined the NYSE in 1896, and first took
a company (Sears Roebuck) public in 1906. Since then it has been
involved in numerous high-profile IPOs including those of Ford,
Microsoft, and recently Twitter.

5. This American author has published dozens of novels for adults,
every single of which has been on the best-seller lists; in 1989 the
Guinness Book of World Records said she had the most consecutive weeks
(381) on the New York Times list. Many if not all of her novels are
categorized as romances. More than twenty have been adapted for
TV. (They are not as popular with critics.) She has also written a
number of books for young children.

6. This Canadian band has released eight studio albums beginning with
1996's Curb. That went gold in Canada; all their subsequent albums
have gone platinum or multi-platinum in Canada and all except the most
recent have done the same in the US. Rolling Stone magazine readers
voted them the second-worst band of the 1990s (they were beaten by
Creed).

7. This first novel by Guenter Grass is narrated by a man(?) who never
grows up. A film based on parts of it won the Palme d'Or in 1979 and
the best foreign-language Oscar in 1980.

8. Most satellite phone providers use satellites in geosynchronous
orbits. However, two use low earth orbit satellites. This one, the
larger of the two, has 66 active satellites in polar orbits and claims
to provide service to the entire surface of the Earth.

9. Supposedly Albertus Magnus made one of these and Thomas Aquinas,
annoyed by the noise it produced, smashed it. This is very unlikely to
be true; even if one ignores the fact that it is scientifically
impossible, such objects were attributed to pretty much everyone in
medieval Europe who had scientific interests, including Roger Bacon
and Robert Grosseteste.

10. This Queen frontman was Farrokh Bulsara when he was born in the
Sultanate of Zanzibar, but starting using a different first name as a
boy and changed his surname early in his career.

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

swp

Aug 28, 2015, 5:57:48 PM8/28/15
On Friday, August 28, 2015 at 5:02:40 PM UTC-4, Dan Blum wrote:
> This is Rotating Quiz 195. Entries must be posted by Friday, September
> 4th, 2015 at 11 PM (Eastern Daylight Time).
>
> Usual rules: no looking anything up, no discussion, etc. The winner
> gets to create the next RQ.
>
> Please post your answers to all questions in a single followup in the
> newsgroup, quoting the questions and placing your answer below each
> one. Only one answer is allowed per question.
>
> The answers have a theme. Unlike in some previous RQs the scoring is
> not affected by the theme. Instead it is a simple 1 point per correct
> answer. If the answer is a person's name the surname is sufficient,
> but if other names are given they must be correct. If the answer is
> not a person's name then all commonly-used parts of the answer must be
> given (e.g. if the answer to a question were "Deutsche Bank" both
> words would be required, but the "AG" at the end would not be).
>
> In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be whoever scored on the
> hardest questions (defined post-facto as the ones which the fewest
> people got right). Second tiebreaker will be posting order.
>
> 1. While not as well-known as the Grand Canyon, this system of six
> canyons in the state of Chihuahua in Mexio is larger, and some parts
> of it are deeper.

copper canyon

> 2. This Canadian actor has appeared in many movies and TV shows over
> the years, including Scanners, at least two V series, Total Recall,
> and Terminator Salvation , and has also done a lot of voice acting for
> animated TV shows (such as Transformers Prime) and video games. He
> shares a surname with a man who was Chief of the Imperial General
> Staff early in WWII.

michael ironside

> 3. This American statistician spent a number of years analyzing
> baseball but is better-known now for his political analsyses; in 2008
> he correctly predicted the winner of all US Senate races and the
> winner of 49 states in the presidential election. He is currently
> editor-in-chief of ESPN's FiveThirtyEight blog.

silvers

> 4. This US-based investment banking firm is one of the largest in the
> world. It was founded in 1869, joined the NYSE in 1896, and first took
> a company (Sears Roebuck) public in 1906. Since then it has been
> involved in numerous high-profile IPOs including those of Ford,
> Microsoft, and recently Twitter.

goldman sachs

> 5. This American author has published dozens of novels for adults,
> every single of which has been on the best-seller lists; in 1989 the
> Guinness Book of World Records said she had the most consecutive weeks
> (381) on the New York Times list. Many if not all of her novels are
> categorized as romances. More than twenty have been adapted for
> TV. (They are not as popular with critics.) She has also written a
> number of books for young children.

danielle steele

> 6. This Canadian band has released eight studio albums beginning with
> 1996's Curb. That went gold in Canada; all their subsequent albums
> have gone platinum or multi-platinum in Canada and all except the most
> recent have done the same in the US. Rolling Stone magazine readers
> voted them the second-worst band of the 1990s (they were beaten by
> Creed).

nickelback

> 7. This first novel by Guenter Grass is narrated by a man(?) who never
> grows up. A film based on parts of it won the Palme d'Or in 1979 and
> the best foreign-language Oscar in 1980.

... gold? tin? platinum? ... I got nothing here.

> 8. Most satellite phone providers use satellites in geosynchronous
> orbits. However, two use low earth orbit satellites. This one, the
> larger of the two, has 66 active satellites in polar orbits and claims
> to provide service to the entire surface of the Earth.

iridium

> 9. Supposedly Albertus Magnus made one of these and Thomas Aquinas,
> annoyed by the noise it produced, smashed it. This is very unlikely to
> be true; even if one ignores the fact that it is scientifically
> impossible, such objects were attributed to pretty much everyone in
> medieval Europe who had scientific interests, including Roger Bacon
> and Robert Grosseteste.

a clockwork metal man

> 10. This Queen frontman was Farrokh Bulsara when he was born in the
> Sultanate of Zanzibar, but starting using a different first name as a
> boy and changed his surname early in his career.

Freddie Mercury (greatest singing voice in rock'n'roll of all time)

swp

Peter Smyth

Aug 29, 2015, 5:41:03 AM8/29/15
Dan Blum wrote:

> 1. While not as well-known as the Grand Canyon, this system of six
> canyons in the state of Chihuahua in Mexio is larger, and some parts
> of it are deeper.
>
> 2. This Canadian actor has appeared in many movies and TV shows over
> the years, including Scanners, at least two V series, Total Recall,
> and Terminator Salvation , and has also done a lot of voice acting for
> animated TV shows (such as Transformers Prime) and video games. He
> shares a surname with a man who was Chief of the Imperial General
> Staff early in WWII.
>
> 3. This American statistician spent a number of years analyzing
> baseball but is better-known now for his political analsyses; in 2008
> he correctly predicted the winner of all US Senate races and the
> winner of 49 states in the presidential election. He is currently
> editor-in-chief of ESPN's FiveThirtyEight blog.
Nate Silver
> 4. This US-based investment banking firm is one of the largest in the
> world. It was founded in 1869, joined the NYSE in 1896, and first took
> a company (Sears Roebuck) public in 1906. Since then it has been
> involved in numerous high-profile IPOs including those of Ford,
> Microsoft, and recently Twitter.
Goldman Sachs
> 5. This American author has published dozens of novels for adults,
> every single of which has been on the best-seller lists; in 1989 the
> Guinness Book of World Records said she had the most consecutive weeks
> (381) on the New York Times list. Many if not all of her novels are
> categorized as romances. More than twenty have been adapted for
> TV. (They are not as popular with critics.) She has also written a
> number of books for young children.
>
> 6. This Canadian band has released eight studio albums beginning with
> 1996's Curb. That went gold in Canada; all their subsequent albums
> have gone platinum or multi-platinum in Canada and all except the most
> recent have done the same in the US. Rolling Stone magazine readers
> voted them the second-worst band of the 1990s (they were beaten by
> Creed).
Nickelback
> 7. This first novel by Guenter Grass is narrated by a man(?) who never
> grows up. A film based on parts of it won the Palme d'Or in 1979 and
> the best foreign-language Oscar in 1980.
>
> 8. Most satellite phone providers use satellites in geosynchronous
> orbits. However, two use low earth orbit satellites. This one, the
> larger of the two, has 66 active satellites in polar orbits and claims
> to provide service to the entire surface of the Earth.
>
> 9. Supposedly Albertus Magnus made one of these and Thomas Aquinas,
> annoyed by the noise it produced, smashed it. This is very unlikely to
> be true; even if one ignores the fact that it is scientifically
> impossible, such objects were attributed to pretty much everyone in
> medieval Europe who had scientific interests, including Roger Bacon
> and Robert Grosseteste.
>
> 10. This Queen frontman was Farrokh Bulsara when he was born in the
> Sultanate of Zanzibar, but starting using a different first name as a
> boy and changed his surname early in his career.
Freddie Mercury

Peter Smyth

Mark Brader

Aug 29, 2015, 8:14:45 AM8/29/15
Dan Blum:
> 1. While not as well-known as the Grand Canyon, this system of six
> canyons in the state of Chihuahua in Mexio is larger, and some parts
> of it are deeper.

Copper Canyon.

> 2. This Canadian actor has appeared in many movies and TV shows over
> the years, including Scanners, at least two V series, Total Recall,
> and Terminator Salvation , and has also done a lot of voice acting for
> animated TV shows (such as Transformers Prime) and video games. He
> shares a surname with a man who was Chief of the Imperial General
> Staff early in WWII.

Silver?

> 3. This American statistician spent a number of years analyzing
> baseball but is better-known now for his political analsyses; in 2008
> he correctly predicted the winner of all US Senate races and the
> winner of 49 states in the presidential election. He is currently
> editor-in-chief of ESPN's FiveThirtyEight blog.

Nickell?

> 4. This US-based investment banking firm is one of the largest in the
> world. It was founded in 1869, joined the NYSE in 1896, and first took
> a company (Sears Roebuck) public in 1906. Since then it has been
> involved in numerous high-profile IPOs including those of Ford,
> Microsoft, and recently Twitter.

Goldman Sachs?

> 5. This American author has published dozens of novels for adults,
> every single of which has been on the best-seller lists; in 1989 the
> Guinness Book of World Records said she had the most consecutive weeks
> (381) on the New York Times list. Many if not all of her novels are
> categorized as romances. More than twenty have been adapted for
> TV. (They are not as popular with critics.) She has also written a
> number of books for young children.

Steel. (After first putting Nora Roberts.)

> 6. This Canadian band has released eight studio albums beginning with
> 1996's Curb. That went gold in Canada; all their subsequent albums
> have gone platinum or multi-platinum in Canada and all except the most
> recent have done the same in the US. Rolling Stone magazine readers
> voted them the second-worst band of the 1990s (they were beaten by
> Creed).

Iron Maiden? (Are they even Canadian?)

> 7. This first novel by Guenter Grass is narrated by a man(?) who never
> grows up. A film based on parts of it won the Palme d'Or in 1979 and
> the best foreign-language Oscar in 1980.

"The Tin Drum".

> 8. Most satellite phone providers use satellites in geosynchronous
> orbits. However, two use low earth orbit satellites. This one, the
> larger of the two, has 66 active satellites in polar orbits and claims
> to provide service to the entire surface of the Earth.

Iridium.

> 9. Supposedly Albertus Magnus made one of these and Thomas Aquinas,
> annoyed by the noise it produced, smashed it. This is very unlikely to
> be true; even if one ignores the fact that it is scientifically
> impossible, such objects were attributed to pretty much everyone in
> medieval Europe who had scientific interests, including Roger Bacon
> and Robert Grosseteste.

Arrrgh. After considerable time I still can't think of any noisy,
scientifically impossible object with a metal in its name. I'll
give up and say "perpetual-motion device".

> 10. This Queen frontman was Farrokh Bulsara when he was born in the
> Sultanate of Zanzibar, but starting using a different first name as a
> boy and changed his surname early in his career.

Mercury.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Why, I make more money than Calvin Coolidge,
m...@vex.net | put together!" -- SINGIN' IN THE RAIN

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 29, 2015, 5:03:29 PM8/29/15
Dan Blum (to...@panix.com) writes:
> 4. This US-based investment banking firm is one of the largest in the
> world. It was founded in 1869, joined the NYSE in 1896, and first took
> a company (Sears Roebuck) public in 1906. Since then it has been
> involved in numerous high-profile IPOs including those of Ford,
> Microsoft, and recently Twitter.

Goldman Sachs

> 6. This Canadian band has released eight studio albums beginning with
> 1996's Curb. That went gold in Canada; all their subsequent albums
> have gone platinum or multi-platinum in Canada and all except the most
> recent have done the same in the US. Rolling Stone magazine readers
> voted them the second-worst band of the 1990s (they were beaten by
> Creed).

Nickelback

> 8. Most satellite phone providers use satellites in geosynchronous
> orbits. However, two use low earth orbit satellites. This one, the
> larger of the two, has 66 active satellites in polar orbits and claims
> to provide service to the entire surface of the Earth.

Iridium

> 10. This Queen frontman was Farrokh Bulsara when he was born in the
> Sultanate of Zanzibar, but starting using a different first name as a
> boy and changed his surname early in his career.

Freddie Mercury

Pete

Aug 29, 2015, 10:19:40 PM8/29/15
to...@panix.com (Dan Blum) wrote in news:mrqi9f$fet$1...@reader1.panix.com:
Nate ?

> 4. This US-based investment banking firm is one of the largest in the
> world. It was founded in 1869, joined the NYSE in 1896, and first took
> a company (Sears Roebuck) public in 1906. Since then it has been
> involved in numerous high-profile IPOs including those of Ford,
> Microsoft, and recently Twitter.
>
> 5. This American author has published dozens of novels for adults,
> every single of which has been on the best-seller lists; in 1989 the
> Guinness Book of World Records said she had the most consecutive weeks
> (381) on the New York Times list. Many if not all of her novels are
> categorized as romances. More than twenty have been adapted for
> TV. (They are not as popular with critics.) She has also written a
> number of books for young children.

Jacqueline Susanne

> 6. This Canadian band has released eight studio albums beginning with
> 1996's Curb. That went gold in Canada; all their subsequent albums
> have gone platinum or multi-platinum in Canada and all except the most
> recent have done the same in the US. Rolling Stone magazine readers
> voted them the second-worst band of the 1990s (they were beaten by
> Creed).

Nickleback

> 7. This first novel by Guenter Grass is narrated by a man(?) who never
> grows up. A film based on parts of it won the Palme d'Or in 1979 and
> the best foreign-language Oscar in 1980.
>
> 8. Most satellite phone providers use satellites in geosynchronous
> orbits. However, two use low earth orbit satellites. This one, the
> larger of the two, has 66 active satellites in polar orbits and claims
> to provide service to the entire surface of the Earth.
>
> 9. Supposedly Albertus Magnus made one of these and Thomas Aquinas,
> annoyed by the noise it produced, smashed it. This is very unlikely to
> be true; even if one ignores the fact that it is scientifically
> impossible, such objects were attributed to pretty much everyone in
> medieval Europe who had scientific interests, including Roger Bacon
> and Robert Grosseteste.
>
> 10. This Queen frontman was Farrokh Bulsara when he was born in the
> Sultanate of Zanzibar, but starting using a different first name as a
> boy and changed his surname early in his career.

Freddie Mercury

Pete

Dan Tilque

Aug 31, 2015, 7:14:21 AM8/31/15
Dan Blum wrote:
> This is Rotating Quiz 195. Entries must be posted by Friday, September
> 4th, 2015 at 11 PM (Eastern Daylight Time).
>
> Usual rules: no looking anything up, no discussion, etc. The winner
> gets to create the next RQ.
>
> Please post your answers to all questions in a single followup in the
> newsgroup, quoting the questions and placing your answer below each
> one. Only one answer is allowed per question.
>
> The answers have a theme. Unlike in some previous RQs the scoring is
> not affected by the theme. Instead it is a simple 1 point per correct
> answer. If the answer is a person's name the surname is sufficient,
> but if other names are given they must be correct. If the answer is
> not a person's name then all commonly-used parts of the answer must be
> given (e.g. if the answer to a question were "Deutsche Bank" both
> words would be required, but the "AG" at the end would not be).
>
> In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be whoever scored on the
> hardest questions (defined post-facto as the ones which the fewest
> people got right). Second tiebreaker will be posting order.
>
> 1. While not as well-known as the Grand Canyon, this system of six
> canyons in the state of Chihuahua in Mexio is larger, and some parts
> of it are deeper.

Copper Canyon

> 2. This Canadian actor has appeared in many movies and TV shows over
> the years, including Scanners, at least two V series, Total Recall,
> and Terminator Salvation , and has also done a lot of voice acting for
> animated TV shows (such as Transformers Prime) and video games. He
> shares a surname with a man who was Chief of the Imperial General
> Staff early in WWII.
>
> 3. This American statistician spent a number of years analyzing
> baseball but is better-known now for his political analsyses; in 2008
> he correctly predicted the winner of all US Senate races and the
> winner of 49 states in the presidential election. He is currently
> editor-in-chief of ESPN's FiveThirtyEight blog.

Silver

> 4. This US-based investment banking firm is one of the largest in the
> world. It was founded in 1869, joined the NYSE in 1896, and first took
> a company (Sears Roebuck) public in 1906. Since then it has been
> involved in numerous high-profile IPOs including those of Ford,
> Microsoft, and recently Twitter.

Goldman Sachs

> 5. This American author has published dozens of novels for adults,
> every single of which has been on the best-seller lists; in 1989 the
> Guinness Book of World Records said she had the most consecutive weeks
> (381) on the New York Times list. Many if not all of her novels are
> categorized as romances. More than twenty have been adapted for
> TV. (They are not as popular with critics.) She has also written a
> number of books for young children.

Danielle Steele

> 6. This Canadian band has released eight studio albums beginning with
> 1996's Curb. That went gold in Canada; all their subsequent albums
> have gone platinum or multi-platinum in Canada and all except the most
> recent have done the same in the US. Rolling Stone magazine readers
> voted them the second-worst band of the 1990s (they were beaten by
> Creed).
>
> 7. This first novel by Guenter Grass is narrated by a man(?) who never
> grows up. A film based on parts of it won the Palme d'Or in 1979 and
> the best foreign-language Oscar in 1980.

The Tin Drum

> 8. Most satellite phone providers use satellites in geosynchronous
> orbits. However, two use low earth orbit satellites. This one, the
> larger of the two, has 66 active satellites in polar orbits and claims
> to provide service to the entire surface of the Earth.

Iridium

> 9. Supposedly Albertus Magnus made one of these and Thomas Aquinas,
> annoyed by the noise it produced, smashed it. This is very unlikely to
> be true; even if one ignores the fact that it is scientifically
> impossible, such objects were attributed to pretty much everyone in
> medieval Europe who had scientific interests, including Roger Bacon
> and Robert Grosseteste.
>
> 10. This Queen frontman was Farrokh Bulsara when he was born in the
> Sultanate of Zanzibar, but starting using a different first name as a
> boy and changed his surname early in his career.

Mercury

--
Dan Tilque

Gareth Owen

Aug 31, 2015, 1:08:07 PM8/31/15
to...@panix.com (Dan Blum) writes:

> 1. While not as well-known as the Grand Canyon, this system of six
> canyons in the state of Chihuahua in Mexio is larger, and some parts
> of it are deeper.

Copper Canyon

> 3. This American statistician spent a number of years analyzing
> baseball but is better-known now for his political analsyses; in 2008
> he correctly predicted the winner of all US Senate races and the
> winner of 49 states in the presidential election. He is currently
> editor-in-chief of ESPN's FiveThirtyEight blog.

Nate Silver

> 4. This US-based investment banking firm is one of the largest in the
> world. It was founded in 1869, joined the NYSE in 1896, and first took
> a company (Sears Roebuck) public in 1906. Since then it has been
> involved in numerous high-profile IPOs including those of Ford,
> Microsoft, and recently Twitter.

Goldman Sachs

> 6. This Canadian band has released eight studio albums beginning with
> 1996's Curb. That went gold in Canada; all their subsequent albums
> have gone platinum or multi-platinum in Canada and all except the most
> recent have done the same in the US. Rolling Stone magazine readers
> voted them the second-worst band of the 1990s (they were beaten by
> Creed).

Nickelback

> 7. This first novel by Guenter Grass is narrated by a man(?) who never
> grows up. A film based on parts of it won the Palme d'Or in 1979 and
> the best foreign-language Oscar in 1980.

The Tin Drum

> 10. This Queen frontman was Farrokh Bulsara when he was born in the
> Sultanate of Zanzibar, but starting using a different first name as a
> boy and changed his surname early in his career.

Freddie Mercury

Marc Dashevsky

Sep 1, 2015, 10:16:42 AM9/1/15
In article <mrqi9f$fet$1...@reader1.panix.com>, to...@panix.com says...
> 1. While not as well-known as the Grand Canyon, this system of six
> canyons in the state of Chihuahua in Mexio is larger, and some parts
> of it are deeper.
Copper Canyon

> 2. This Canadian actor has appeared in many movies and TV shows over
> the years, including Scanners, at least two V series, Total Recall,
> and Terminator Salvation , and has also done a lot of voice acting for
> animated TV shows (such as Transformers Prime) and video games. He
> shares a surname with a man who was Chief of the Imperial General
> Staff early in WWII.
Michael Ironside

> 3. This American statistician spent a number of years analyzing
> baseball but is better-known now for his political analsyses; in 2008
> he correctly predicted the winner of all US Senate races and the
> winner of 49 states in the presidential election. He is currently
> editor-in-chief of ESPN's FiveThirtyEight blog.
Nate Silver

> 4. This US-based investment banking firm is one of the largest in the
> world. It was founded in 1869, joined the NYSE in 1896, and first took
> a company (Sears Roebuck) public in 1906. Since then it has been
> involved in numerous high-profile IPOs including those of Ford,
> Microsoft, and recently Twitter.
Goldman Sachs

> 5. This American author has published dozens of novels for adults,
> every single of which has been on the best-seller lists; in 1989 the
> Guinness Book of World Records said she had the most consecutive weeks
> (381) on the New York Times list. Many if not all of her novels are
> categorized as romances. More than twenty have been adapted for
> TV. (They are not as popular with critics.) She has also written a
> number of books for young children.
Danielle Steel

> 6. This Canadian band has released eight studio albums beginning with
> 1996's Curb. That went gold in Canada; all their subsequent albums
> have gone platinum or multi-platinum in Canada and all except the most
> recent have done the same in the US. Rolling Stone magazine readers
> voted them the second-worst band of the 1990s (they were beaten by
> Creed).
Nickelback

> 7. This first novel by Guenter Grass is narrated by a man(?) who never
> grows up. A film based on parts of it won the Palme d'Or in 1979 and
> the best foreign-language Oscar in 1980.
Tin Drum

> 8. Most satellite phone providers use satellites in geosynchronous
> orbits. However, two use low earth orbit satellites. This one, the
> larger of the two, has 66 active satellites in polar orbits and claims
> to provide service to the entire surface of the Earth.
Iridium

> 9. Supposedly Albertus Magnus made one of these and Thomas Aquinas,
> annoyed by the noise it produced, smashed it. This is very unlikely to
> be true; even if one ignores the fact that it is scientifically
> impossible, such objects were attributed to pretty much everyone in
> medieval Europe who had scientific interests, including Roger Bacon
> and Robert Grosseteste.
>
> 10. This Queen frontman was Farrokh Bulsara when he was born in the
> Sultanate of Zanzibar, but starting using a different first name as a
> boy and changed his surname early in his career.
Freddie Mercury

Marc Dashevsky

Sep 1, 2015, 10:18:14 AM9/1/15
In article <d8fe6155-2418-4b39...@googlegroups.com>, Stephen...@gmail.com says...
> > 10. This Queen frontman was Farrokh Bulsara when he was born in the
> > Sultanate of Zanzibar, but starting using a different first name as a
> > boy and changed his surname early in his career.
>
> Freddie Mercury (greatest singing voice in rock'n'roll of all time)

Well . . . tied with Roy Orbison,

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 1, 2015, 4:45:26 PM9/1/15
Marc Dashevsky (use...@MarcDashevsky.com) writes:
> In article <d8fe6155-2418-4b39...@googlegroups.com>,
>Stephen...@gmail.com says...
>> Freddie Mercury (greatest singing voice in rock'n'roll of all time)
>
> Well . . . tied with Roy Orbison,

You guys haven't heard Krzysztof Cugowski! Just sayin...

Dan Blum

Sep 4, 2015, 11:18:49 PM9/4/15
Rotating Quiz #195 is over and Marc Dashevsky is the winner with
a near-perfect score. He may now set RQ #196.

> 1. While not as well-known as the Grand Canyon, this system of six
> canyons in the state of Chihuahua in Mexio is larger, and some parts
> of it are deeper.

Copper Canyon

> 2. This Canadian actor has appeared in many movies and TV shows over
> the years, including Scanners, at least two V series, Total Recall,
> and Terminator Salvation , and has also done a lot of voice acting for
> animated TV shows (such as Transformers Prime) and video games. He
> shares a surname with a man who was Chief of the Imperial General
> Staff early in WWII.

Michael Ironside

> 3. This American statistician spent a number of years analyzing
> baseball but is better-known now for his political analsyses; in 2008
> he correctly predicted the winner of all US Senate races and the
> winner of 49 states in the presidential election. He is currently
> editor-in-chief of ESPN's FiveThirtyEight blog.

Nate Silver

Spelling issues that don't change the pronunciation (e.g., adding a
silent "e") I am ignoring, but "Silvers" is out.

> 4. This US-based investment banking firm is one of the largest in the
> world. It was founded in 1869, joined the NYSE in 1896, and first took
> a company (Sears Roebuck) public in 1906. Since then it has been
> involved in numerous high-profile IPOs including those of Ford,
> Microsoft, and recently Twitter.

Goldman Sachs

> 5. This American author has published dozens of novels for adults,
> every single of which has been on the best-seller lists; in 1989 the
> Guinness Book of World Records said she had the most consecutive weeks
> (381) on the New York Times list. Many if not all of her novels are
> categorized as romances. More than twenty have been adapted for
> TV. (They are not as popular with critics.) She has also written a
> number of books for young children.

Danielle Steel

> 6. This Canadian band has released eight studio albums beginning with
> 1996's Curb. That went gold in Canada; all their subsequent albums
> have gone platinum or multi-platinum in Canada and all except the most
> recent have done the same in the US. Rolling Stone magazine readers
> voted them the second-worst band of the 1990s (they were beaten by
> Creed).

Nickelback

> 7. This first novel by Guenter Grass is narrated by a man(?) who never
> grows up. A film based on parts of it won the Palme d'Or in 1979 and
> the best foreign-language Oscar in 1980.

The Tin Drum

The original German title would also have been acceptable.

> 8. Most satellite phone providers use satellites in geosynchronous
> orbits. However, two use low earth orbit satellites. This one, the
> larger of the two, has 66 active satellites in polar orbits and claims
> to provide service to the entire surface of the Earth.

Iridium

> 9. Supposedly Albertus Magnus made one of these and Thomas Aquinas,
> annoyed by the noise it produced, smashed it. This is very unlikely to
> be true; even if one ignores the fact that it is scientifically
> impossible, such objects were attributed to pretty much everyone in
> medieval Europe who had scientific interests, including Roger Bacon
> and Robert Grosseteste.

a bronze head (or a brazen head or a brass head)

The impossible part is that it not only spoke (not possible with period
technology) but prophesied accurately (not possible at all, as far as
we know).

> 10. This Queen frontman was Farrokh Bulsara when he was born in the
> Sultanate of Zanzibar, but starting using a different first name as a
> boy and changed his surname early in his career.

Freddie Mercury

Scores:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Total
----------------------------------
Marc 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 9
Stephen 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 7
Dan 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 6
Mark 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 1 0 1 6
Gareth 1 0 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 6
Peter 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 4
Erland 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 4
Pete 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 2

Marc Dashevsky

Sep 5, 2015, 3:13:46 AM9/5/15
In article <msdmuo$kps$1...@reader1.panix.com>, to...@panix.com says...

> Rotating Quiz #195 is over and Marc Dashevsky is the winner with
> a near-perfect score. He may now set RQ #196.

Thanks Dan. I intend to post it by Tuesday morning, UTC-6.

Marc Dashevsky

Sep 8, 2015, 7:40:45 AM9/8/15
In article <MPG.30545237e...@news.eternal-september.org>, use...@MarcDashevsky.com says...

> In article <msdmuo$kps$1...@reader1.panix.com>, to...@panix.com says...
> >
> > Rotating Quiz #195 is over and Marc Dashevsky is the winner with
> > a near-perfect score. He may now set RQ #196.
>
> Thanks Dan. I intend to post it by Tuesday morning, UTC-6.

I apologize for misestimating my time. I will post RQ #196 Wednesday morning.