Calvin's Quiz #545

Calvin

Nov 22, 2018, 11:19:17 PM11/22/18

1 An NFL coach can challenge a referee’s decision by tossing what colour flag onto the field?
2 Which (soccer) World Cup was notable for the noise made by vuvuzelas? [Year or Country]
3 Serb Gavrilo Princip assassinated Archduke Franz Ferdinand in 1914 in which city?
4 In the 89th Academy Awards held in February 2017, which movie was mistakenly announced as the Best Picture winner? The actual winner was 'Moonlight'.
5 Which American performer is known to her fans as 'The Divine Miss M'?
6 In which national capital is the European Space Agency headquartered?
7 What type of animal is a mandrill?
8 Charles Dickens was born in 1812 in which south coast English city?
9 'Mine Eyes Have Seen the Glory' are the first six words of which 1861 poem, later a song?
10 Staccato is a musical direction meaning to play in which manner?

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Nov 22, 2018, 11:35:09 PM11/22/18
"Calvin":
> 1 An NFL coach can challenge a referee's decision by tossing
> what colour flag onto the field?

Yellow? That's what it is in the CFL, at least.

> 2 Which (soccer) World Cup was notable for the noise made by
> vuvuzelas? [Year or Country]

South Africa.

> 3 Serb Gavrilo Princip assassinated Archduke Franz Ferdinand in
> 1914 in which city?

Sarajevo.

> 4 In the 89th Academy Awards held in February 2017, which movie
> was mistakenly announced as the Best Picture winner? The
> actual winner was 'Moonlight'.

"La La Land".

> 5 Which American performer is known to her fans as 'The Divine Miss M'?

Midler.

> 6 In which national capital is the European Space Agency headquartered?

Brussels?

> 7 What type of animal is a mandrill?

Ape?

> 8 Charles Dickens was born in 1812 in which south coast English city?

Brighton?

> 9 'Mine Eyes Have Seen the Glory' are the first six words of
> which 1861 poem, later a song?

"Battle Hymn of the Republic"?

> 10 Staccato is a musical direction meaning to play in which manner?

With the notes kept brief and distinctly separated.
--
Mark Brader | "...where did they get the sunlight in such a hurry? I know
m...@vex.net | it can be delivered in about eight minutes, but there must

Dan Tilque

Nov 23, 2018, 2:59:16 AM11/23/18
Calvin wrote:
> 1 An NFL coach can challenge a referee’s decision by tossing what colour flag onto the field?

red

> 2 Which (soccer) World Cup was notable for the noise made by vuvuzelas? [Year or Country]

South Africa

> 3 Serb Gavrilo Princip assassinated Archduke Franz Ferdinand in 1914 in which city?

Sarajevo

> 4 In the 89th Academy Awards held in February 2017, which movie was mistakenly announced as the Best Picture winner? The actual winner was 'Moonlight'.
> 5 Which American performer is known to her fans as 'The Divine Miss M'?
> 6 In which national capital is the European Space Agency headquartered?

Rome

> 7 What type of animal is a mandrill?

monkey

> 8 Charles Dickens was born in 1812 in which south coast English city?

Southampton

> 9 'Mine Eyes Have Seen the Glory' are the first six words of which 1861 poem, later a song?

Battle Hymn of the Republic

> 10 Staccato is a musical direction meaning to play in which manner?

in short bursts

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Nov 23, 2018, 12:20:01 PM11/23/18
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 An NFL coach can challenge a referee?s decision by tossing what
> colour flag onto the field?

Red

> 2 Which (soccer) World Cup was notable for the noise made by
> vuvuzelas? [Year or Country]

South Africa 2010

The Iranian fans has something pretty loud this year as well.

> 3 Serb Gavrilo Princip assassinated Archduke Franz Ferdinand in 1914
> in which city?

Sarajevo

> 6 In which national capital is the European Space Agency
> headquartered?

Brussels

> 7 What type of animal is a mandrill?

Shrimp

> 8 Charles Dickens was born in 1812 in which south coast English city?

Brightton

> 10 Staccato is a musical direction meaning to play in which manner?

With small pauses between the notes

Pete Gayde

Nov 24, 2018, 7:56:31 PM11/24/18
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 An NFL coach can challenge a referee’s decision by tossing
> what colour flag onto the field?

Red

> 2 Which (soccer) World Cup was
> notable for the noise made by vuvuzelas? [Year or Country]

South Africa

> 3 Serb
> Gavrilo Princip assassinated Archduke Franz Ferdinand in 1914 in which
> city?

Sarajevo

> 4 In the 89th Academy Awards held in February 2017, which
> movie was mistakenly announced as the Best Picture winner? The
> actual winner was 'Moonlight'.

La La Land

> 5 Which American performer is known
> to her fans as 'The Divine Miss M'?

Bette Midler

> 6 In which national capital is
> the European Space Agency headquartered?

Paris

> 7 What type of animal is a mandrill?

Ape

> 8 Charles Dickens was born in 1812 in which south
> coast English city?

Southampton

> 9 'Mine Eyes Have Seen the Glory' are the
> first six words of which 1861 poem, later a song?

Battle Hymn of the Republic

> 10 Staccato is a
> musical direction meaning to play in which manner?

With very short duration notes.

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Dan Blum

Nov 25, 2018, 7:20:09 PM11/25/18
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1 An NFL coach can challenge a referee???s decision by tossing what colour flag onto the field?

yellow

> 2 Which (soccer) World Cup was notable for the noise made by vuvuzelas? [Year or Country]

2010

> 3 Serb Gavrilo Princip assassinated Archduke Franz Ferdinand in 1914 in which city?

Sarajevo

> 4 In the 89th Academy Awards held in February 2017, which movie was mistakenly announced as the Best Picture winner? The actual winner was 'Moonlight'.

La La Land

> 5 Which American performer is known to her fans as 'The Divine Miss M'?

Bette Midler

> 6 In which national capital is the European Space Agency headquartered?

Paris

> 7 What type of animal is a mandrill?

baboon

> 9 'Mine Eyes Have Seen the Glory' are the first six words of which 1861 poem, later a song?

Battle Hymn of the Republic

> 10 Staccato is a musical direction meaning to play in which manner?

short notes with pauses between

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

swp

Nov 26, 2018, 12:23:37 AM11/26/18
On Thursday, November 22, 2018 at 11:19:17 PM UTC-5, Calvin wrote:
> 1 An NFL coach can challenge a referee’s decision by tossing what colour flag onto the field?

red

> 2 Which (soccer) World Cup was notable for the noise made by vuvuzelas? [Year or Country]

south africa

> 3 Serb Gavrilo Princip assassinated Archduke Franz Ferdinand in 1914 in which city?

sarajevo

> 4 In the 89th Academy Awards held in February 2017, which movie was mistakenly announced as the Best Picture winner? The actual winner was 'Moonlight'.

la la land

> 5 Which American performer is known to her fans as 'The Divine Miss M'?

bette midler

> 6 In which national capital is the European Space Agency headquartered?

paris

> 7 What type of animal is a mandrill?

monkey

> 8 Charles Dickens was born in 1812 in which south coast English city?

landport?

> 9 'Mine Eyes Have Seen the Glory' are the first six words of which 1861 poem, later a song?

battle hymn of the republic

> 10 Staccato is a musical direction meaning to play in which manner?

distinct individual notes

swp

Bruce Bowler

Nov 26, 2018, 3:42:59 PM11/26/18
On Thu, 22 Nov 2018 20:19:17 -0800, Calvin wrote:

> 1 An NFL coach can challenge a referee’s decision by tossing what
> colour flag onto the field?

red

> 2 Which (soccer) World Cup was notable for the noise made by
> vuvuzelas? [Year or Country]

South Africa

> 3 Serb Gavrilo Princip assassinated Archduke Franz Ferdinand in
> 1914 in which city?

Sarajevo

> 4 In the 89th Academy Awards held in February 2017, which movie was
> mistakenly announced as the Best Picture winner? The actual winner was
> 'Moonlight'.
> 5 Which American performer is known to her fans as 'The Divine Miss
> M'?

Bette Midler

> 6 In which national capital is the European Space Agency
> headquartered?
> 7 What type of animal is a mandrill?

Primate

> 8 Charles Dickens was born in 1812 in which south coast English
> city?
> 9 'Mine Eyes Have Seen the Glory' are the first six words of which
> 1861 poem, later a song?

Battle Hymn of the Republic

> 10 Staccato is a musical direction meaning to play in which manner?

"crisply"

Calvin

Nov 27, 2018, 11:53:41 PM11/27/18
On Friday, November 23, 2018 at 2:19:17 PM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 An NFL coach can challenge a referee’s decision by tossing what colour flag onto the field?

Red

> 2 Which (soccer) World Cup was notable for the noise made by vuvuzelas? [Year or Country]

South Africa / 2010

> 3 Serb Gavrilo Princip assassinated Archduke Franz Ferdinand in 1914 in which city?

Sarajevo

> 4 In the 89th Academy Awards held in February 2017, which movie was mistakenly announced as the Best Picture winner? The actual winner was 'Moonlight'.

La La Land

> 5 Which American performer is known to her fans as 'The Divine Miss M'?

Bette Midler

> 6 In which national capital is the European Space Agency headquartered?

Paris

> 7 What type of animal is a mandrill?

Primate / Monkey (or synonym)

> 8 Charles Dickens was born in 1812 in which south coast English city?

Portsmouth
No-one got this
http://charlesdickensbirthplace.co.uk/

> 9 'Mine Eyes Have Seen the Glory' are the first six words of which 1861 poem, later a song?

Battle Hymn of the Republic

> 10 Staccato is a musical direction meaning to play in which manner?

Detached / Shortened (or synonym)

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 545
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 9 49 Stephen Perry
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 8 43 Pete Gayde
0 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 8 44 Dan Blum
0 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 1 7 41 Mark Brader