QFTCI5EP Game 8, Rounds 4,6: EGOTs, world's fairs

Mark Brader

Jul 22, 2017, 1:19:56 AM7/22/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-03-13,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 8, Round 4 - Entertainment - EGOTs

This round is about a talented few entertainers who have managed
the Grand Slam of US show business -- winning an Emmy, a Grammy,
an Oscar, and a Tony during their careers. In each case, name
the entertainer.

1. This actress, dancer, and singer won both a Tony for her work
in "The Ritz" and a Grammy for Best Album for Children in 1975.
She had already earned a 1961 Supporting Actress Oscar for her
role as Anita in an Oscar-winning film, and she rounded out the
Grand Slam with Emmy wins in 1977 and 1978, the latter for her
special guest appearances on "The Rockford Files".

2. This actress, active in the business for more than 80 years,
received her first Oscar for "The Sin of Madelon Claudet"
in 1931. She won her second 39 years later for her supporting
role in a 1970 disaster film. In addition to a Primetime Emmy
(1953) and a Grammy for a Spoken-Word Recording of the Bill of
Rights, she also won three Tony Awards, the first in 1947 for
"Happy Birthday", the second in 1958 for "Time Remembered",
and the third, an honorary Lifetime Achievement Award, in 1980.

3. This actress was best known for her film work, for which she
received a Best Actress Oscar in 1954 for her first starring
role. She also earned a Best Actress Tony for her work in the
play "Ondine" that same year. Her Grammy and Emmy wins came
much later in her career, both awarded posthumously after her
death in 1993.

4. This comedian, actress, singer-songwriter, and TV personality
made the EGOT list in 2002 when she accepted a Tony Award as
a producer of the hit musical "Thoroughly Modern Millie".
Her other accolades include a 1985 Grammy for Best Comedy
Recording, two Daytime Emmy wins, and an Oscar for Best
Supporting actress for portraying a character named Oda Mae
Brown in a successful 1990 film.

5. This actor, comedian, filmmaker, composer, and songwriter has
won two Grammys, one Oscar, and a Tony. In addition, he won
the Emmy for Best Guest Actor in a Comedy Series three years
in a row for his appearances as Paul Reiser's Uncle Phil on
the TV comedy "Mad About You". It's good to be the King!

6. This actor and theatre director's career spanned 8 decades.
He made the EGOT list after receiving a 1991 Emmy for the
miniseries "Summer's Lease". Previous awards include a Grammy
for a Spoken-Word Recording of Shakespeare, and three Tony
Awards, the last presented in 1961 for directing "Big Fish,
Little Fish". But he might be best known for his Oscar win as
Best Supporting Actor in a 1981 romantic comedy.

For the last four questions, the star's award in one of the four
EGOT categories was honorary.

7. This singer, songwriter, actor, and social activist attained
the EGOT in 2015 when he was presented with an Oscar as
recipient of the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award. He won his
Tony in 1953 for the musical "John Murray Anderson's Almanac"
and collected his first of three Grammys in 1961 for his album
"Swing Dat Hammer".

8. This actor, with one of the best-known voices in show business,
completed the sweep in 2011 when he received an honorary Oscar.
He won his Tony in 1969 for "The Great White Hope", a Spoken-Word
Grammy in 1977, and the first two of three Emmys in 1991 for his
supporting role in "Heat Wave" and lead role in "Gabriel's Fire".

9. This actress and singer won her first Tony Award in 1965 and
went on to win three more. She won both an Oscar and an Emmy
in 1973 and completed the Grand Slam when she was presented
with a Living Legend Award at the Grammies in 1997. That same
year her album "Gently" was nominated for a Grammy in the Best
Traditional Pop Vocal category, but didn't win.

10. This actress, director, singer, and songwriter has won two
Oscars, five personal Emmys, and 10 Grammys. She received an
honorary Tony as Star of the Decade in 1970. She returned to the
Tony Awards after a 46-year hiatus in 2016 to present the award
for Best Musical to the cast of "Hamilton!". President Obama
said he felt verklempt as he presented her with the Medal of
Freedom in 2015.

* Game 8, Round 6 - History - World's Fairs

Since the mid-19th century more than 100 world's fairs have been
held in more than 20 countries. Generally speaking, these events
have been called world's fairs in the United States, international
(or universal) expositions in Continental Europe and Asia, and
exhibitions in Great Britain. Here are 10 questions about these
celebrations of architecture and technology.

1. The first world exposition sanctioned by the Bureau of
International Expositions (BIE) began in April 1851. Dubbed "The
Great Exhibition", its theme was "Industry of all Nations".
Most notable was the Crystal Palace, the structure that housed
the exhibits, which was constructed of cast iron and plate glass.
In what city was the Great Exhibition of 1851 held?

2. The world's fair held in 1893 celebrated the 400th [sic]
anniversary of Christopher Columbus's arrival in the New World.
Notable inventions unveiled here included the Ferris wheel.
Tragedy struck when the city's popular mayor, Carter Harrison
Sr., was assassinated two days before the end of the festivities.
In what city was the 1893 fair held?

3. Despite the fact that the most revolutionary exhibit at Paris's
Exposition Universelle in 1889 was a little structure called
the Eiffel Tower, the fair also commemorated the centennial of
which significant moment in the host nation's history that is
traditionally thought to have started the French Revolution?

4. The Philadelphia Centennial Exhibition was the second to be
held in the United States. It was particularly noteworthy
for showing off products of the early Industrial Revolution
in America and by new inventions such as the telephone, the
typewriter, and the mechanical calculator. Within one year,
in what year was the fair held?

5. The 1939-40 world's fair featured the theme "Building the
World of Tomorrow". Notable exhibits and attractions included
Bell Labs' Voder (the first attempt to synthesize human speech),
the Magna Carta, and the 1st World Science Fiction Convention.
In what city was the fair held?

6. Expo 67 in Montreal, which featured the theme "Man and His
World", was well known for its interesting architecture, which
included Buckminster Fuller's geodesic dome and the Habitat 67
housing complex. *Which Israeli-Canadian architect* designed
Habitat 67?

7. The 1904 St. Louis world's fair saw the unveiling of inventions
such as the radio phone and the telautograph, a sort of
precursor to the fax machine. It was also the public debut of
what revolutionary new machine now commonly found in hospitals
and airports?

8. Expo 70 took place in Osaka, Japan. The theme was "Progress and
Harmony for Mankind". Special exhibits included the Tower of the
Sun, a moon rock from the Apollo 11 mission -- and demonstrations
of *what floating public-transportation technology*?

9. World Expo 88 featured the theme "Leisure in the Age of
Technology", and the mascot for the fair was a platypus named
Expo Oz. In what Australian state-capital city was Expo 88 held?

10. The 2017 Expo will be held in the city of Astana -- which is
in what country?

--
Mark Brader | "If you're incompetent, you can't know you're incompetent...
Toronto | the skills you need to produce a right answer are exactly

Joshua Kreitzer

Jul 22, 2017, 1:33:43 AM7/22/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:p9SdnfU1zpDrfe_EnZ2dnUU7-
R3N...@giganews.com:

> * Game 8, Round 4 - Entertainment - EGOTs
>
> This round is about a talented few entertainers who have managed
> the Grand Slam of US show business -- winning an Emmy, a Grammy,
> an Oscar, and a Tony during their careers. In each case, name
> the entertainer.
>
> 1. This actress, dancer, and singer won both a Tony for her work
> in "The Ritz" and a Grammy for Best Album for Children in 1975.
> She had already earned a 1961 Supporting Actress Oscar for her
> role as Anita in an Oscar-winning film, and she rounded out the
> Grand Slam with Emmy wins in 1977 and 1978, the latter for her
> special guest appearances on "The Rockford Files".

Rita Moreno

> 2. This actress, active in the business for more than 80 years,
> received her first Oscar for "The Sin of Madelon Claudet"
> in 1931. She won her second 39 years later for her supporting
> role in a 1970 disaster film. In addition to a Primetime Emmy
> (1953) and a Grammy for a Spoken-Word Recording of the Bill of
> Rights, she also won three Tony Awards, the first in 1947 for
> "Happy Birthday", the second in 1958 for "Time Remembered",
> and the third, an honorary Lifetime Achievement Award, in 1980.

Helen Hayes

> 3. This actress was best known for her film work, for which she
> received a Best Actress Oscar in 1954 for her first starring
> role. She also earned a Best Actress Tony for her work in the
> play "Ondine" that same year. Her Grammy and Emmy wins came
> much later in her career, both awarded posthumously after her
> death in 1993.

Audrey Hepburn

> 4. This comedian, actress, singer-songwriter, and TV personality
> made the EGOT list in 2002 when she accepted a Tony Award as
> a producer of the hit musical "Thoroughly Modern Millie".
> Her other accolades include a 1985 Grammy for Best Comedy
> Recording, two Daytime Emmy wins, and an Oscar for Best
> Supporting actress for portraying a character named Oda Mae
> Brown in a successful 1990 film.

Whoopi Goldberg

> 5. This actor, comedian, filmmaker, composer, and songwriter has
> won two Grammys, one Oscar, and a Tony. In addition, he won
> the Emmy for Best Guest Actor in a Comedy Series three years
> in a row for his appearances as Paul Reiser's Uncle Phil on
> the TV comedy "Mad About You". It's good to be the King!

Mel Brooks

> 6. This actor and theatre director's career spanned 8 decades.
> He made the EGOT list after receiving a 1991 Emmy for the
> miniseries "Summer's Lease". Previous awards include a Grammy
> for a Spoken-Word Recording of Shakespeare, and three Tony
> Awards, the last presented in 1961 for directing "Big Fish,
> Little Fish". But he might be best known for his Oscar win as
> Best Supporting Actor in a 1981 romantic comedy.

John Gielgud

> For the last four questions, the star's award in one of the four
> EGOT categories was honorary.
>
> 7. This singer, songwriter, actor, and social activist attained
> the EGOT in 2015 when he was presented with an Oscar as
> recipient of the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award. He won his
> Tony in 1953 for the musical "John Murray Anderson's Almanac"
> and collected his first of three Grammys in 1961 for his album
> "Swing Dat Hammer".

Harry Belafonte

> 8. This actor, with one of the best-known voices in show business,
> completed the sweep in 2011 when he received an honorary Oscar.
> He won his Tony in 1969 for "The Great White Hope", a Spoken-Word
> Grammy in 1977, and the first two of three Emmys in 1991 for his
> supporting role in "Heat Wave" and lead role in "Gabriel's Fire".

James Earl Jones

> 9. This actress and singer won her first Tony Award in 1965 and
> went on to win three more. She won both an Oscar and an Emmy
> in 1973 and completed the Grand Slam when she was presented
> with a Living Legend Award at the Grammies in 1997. That same
> year her album "Gently" was nominated for a Grammy in the Best
> Traditional Pop Vocal category, but didn't win.

Liza Minnelli

> 10. This actress, director, singer, and songwriter has won two
> Oscars, five personal Emmys, and 10 Grammys. She received an
> honorary Tony as Star of the Decade in 1970. She returned to the
> Tony Awards after a 46-year hiatus in 2016 to present the award
> for Best Musical to the cast of "Hamilton!". President Obama
> said he felt verklempt as he presented her with the Medal of
> Freedom in 2015.

Barbra Streisand

> * Game 8, Round 6 - History - World's Fairs
>
> Since the mid-19th century more than 100 world's fairs have been
> held in more than 20 countries. Generally speaking, these events
> have been called world's fairs in the United States, international
> (or universal) expositions in Continental Europe and Asia, and
> exhibitions in Great Britain. Here are 10 questions about these
> celebrations of architecture and technology.
>
> 1. The first world exposition sanctioned by the Bureau of
> International Expositions (BIE) began in April 1851. Dubbed "The
> Great Exhibition", its theme was "Industry of all Nations".
> Most notable was the Crystal Palace, the structure that housed
> the exhibits, which was constructed of cast iron and plate glass.
> In what city was the Great Exhibition of 1851 held?

London

> 2. The world's fair held in 1893 celebrated the 400th [sic]
> anniversary of Christopher Columbus's arrival in the New World.
> Notable inventions unveiled here included the Ferris wheel.
> Tragedy struck when the city's popular mayor, Carter Harrison
> Sr., was assassinated two days before the end of the festivities.
> In what city was the 1893 fair held?

Chicago

> 3. Despite the fact that the most revolutionary exhibit at Paris's
> Exposition Universelle in 1889 was a little structure called
> the Eiffel Tower, the fair also commemorated the centennial of
> which significant moment in the host nation's history that is
> traditionally thought to have started the French Revolution?

storming of the Bastille

> 4. The Philadelphia Centennial Exhibition was the second to be
> held in the United States. It was particularly noteworthy
> for showing off products of the early Industrial Revolution
> in America and by new inventions such as the telephone, the
> typewriter, and the mechanical calculator. Within one year,
> in what year was the fair held?

1876

> 5. The 1939-40 world's fair featured the theme "Building the
> World of Tomorrow". Notable exhibits and attractions included
> Bell Labs' Voder (the first attempt to synthesize human speech),
> the Magna Carta, and the 1st World Science Fiction Convention.
> In what city was the fair held?

New York

> 6. Expo 67 in Montreal, which featured the theme "Man and His
> World", was well known for its interesting architecture, which
> included Buckminster Fuller's geodesic dome and the Habitat 67
> housing complex. *Which Israeli-Canadian architect* designed
> Habitat 67?

Safran

> 9. World Expo 88 featured the theme "Leisure in the Age of
> Technology", and the mascot for the fair was a platypus named
> Expo Oz. In what Australian state-capital city was Expo 88 held?

Brisbane; Melbourne

> 10. The 2017 Expo will be held in the city of Astana -- which is
> in what country?

Kazakhstan

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 22, 2017, 4:20:42 AM7/22/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 8, Round 6 - History - World's Fairs
>
> 1. The first world exposition sanctioned by the Bureau of
> International Expositions (BIE) began in April 1851. Dubbed "The
> Great Exhibition", its theme was "Industry of all Nations".
> Most notable was the Crystal Palace, the structure that housed
> the exhibits, which was constructed of cast iron and plate glass.
> In what city was the Great Exhibition of 1851 held?

London

> 3. Despite the fact that the most revolutionary exhibit at Paris's
> Exposition Universelle in 1889 was a little structure called
> the Eiffel Tower, the fair also commemorated the centennial of
> which significant moment in the host nation's history that is
> traditionally thought to have started the French Revolution?

Storming of the Bastile

> 4. The Philadelphia Centennial Exhibition was the second to be
> held in the United States. It was particularly noteworthy
> for showing off products of the early Industrial Revolution
> in America and by new inventions such as the telephone, the
> typewriter, and the mechanical calculator. Within one year,
> in what year was the fair held?

1872

> 5. The 1939-40 world's fair featured the theme "Building the
> World of Tomorrow". Notable exhibits and attractions included
> Bell Labs' Voder (the first attempt to synthesize human speech),
> the Magna Carta, and the 1st World Science Fiction Convention.
> In what city was the fair held?

Los Angeles

> 7. The 1904 St. Louis world's fair saw the unveiling of inventions
> such as the radio phone and the telautograph, a sort of
> precursor to the fax machine. It was also the public debut of
> what revolutionary new machine now commonly found in hospitals
> and airports?

X-Ray

> 9. World Expo 88 featured the theme "Leisure in the Age of
> Technology", and the mascot for the fair was a platypus named
> Expo Oz. In what Australian state-capital city was Expo 88 held?

Sydney

> 10. The 2017 Expo will be held in the city of Astana -- which is
> in what country?

Kazakhstan

Dan Tilque

Jul 22, 2017, 5:38:52 AM7/22/17
London

> 2. The world's fair held in 1893 celebrated the 400th [sic]
> anniversary of Christopher Columbus's arrival in the New World.
> Notable inventions unveiled here included the Ferris wheel.
> Tragedy struck when the city's popular mayor, Carter Harrison
> Sr., was assassinated two days before the end of the festivities.
> In what city was the 1893 fair held?

Chicago

> 3. Despite the fact that the most revolutionary exhibit at Paris's
> Exposition Universelle in 1889 was a little structure called
> the Eiffel Tower, the fair also commemorated the centennial of
> which significant moment in the host nation's history that is
> traditionally thought to have started the French Revolution?

storming of the Bastille

> 4. The Philadelphia Centennial Exhibition was the second to be
> held in the United States. It was particularly noteworthy
> for showing off products of the early Industrial Revolution
> in America and by new inventions such as the telephone, the
> typewriter, and the mechanical calculator. Within one year,
> in what year was the fair held?

1876

> 5. The 1939-40 world's fair featured the theme "Building the
> World of Tomorrow". Notable exhibits and attractions included
> Bell Labs' Voder (the first attempt to synthesize human speech),
> the Magna Carta, and the 1st World Science Fiction Convention.
> In what city was the fair held?

New York

> 6. Expo 67 in Montreal, which featured the theme "Man and His
> World", was well known for its interesting architecture, which
> included Buckminster Fuller's geodesic dome and the Habitat 67
> housing complex. *Which Israeli-Canadian architect* designed
> Habitat 67?
>
> 7. The 1904 St. Louis world's fair saw the unveiling of inventions
> such as the radio phone and the telautograph, a sort of
> precursor to the fax machine. It was also the public debut of
> what revolutionary new machine now commonly found in hospitals
> and airports?

x-ray machine

> 8. Expo 70 took place in Osaka, Japan. The theme was "Progress and
> Harmony for Mankind". Special exhibits included the Tower of the
> Sun, a moon rock from the Apollo 11 mission -- and demonstrations
> of *what floating public-transportation technology*?

hovercraft

> 9. World Expo 88 featured the theme "Leisure in the Age of
> Technology", and the mascot for the fair was a platypus named
> Expo Oz. In what Australian state-capital city was Expo 88 held?

Melbourne; Brisbane

> 10. The 2017 Expo will be held in the city of Astana -- which is
> in what country?

Kazakhstan

--
Dan Tilque

Dan Blum

Jul 22, 2017, 9:27:10 AM7/22/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 4 - Entertainment - EGOTs

> 5. This actor, comedian, filmmaker, composer, and songwriter has
> won two Grammys, one Oscar, and a Tony. In addition, he won
> the Emmy for Best Guest Actor in a Comedy Series three years
> in a row for his appearances as Paul Reiser's Uncle Phil on
> the TV comedy "Mad About You". It's good to be the King!

Mel Brooks

> 6. This actor and theatre director's career spanned 8 decades.
> He made the EGOT list after receiving a 1991 Emmy for the
> miniseries "Summer's Lease". Previous awards include a Grammy
> for a Spoken-Word Recording of Shakespeare, and three Tony
> Awards, the last presented in 1961 for directing "Big Fish,
> Little Fish". But he might be best known for his Oscar win as
> Best Supporting Actor in a 1981 romantic comedy.

John Gielgud

> 8. This actor, with one of the best-known voices in show business,
> completed the sweep in 2011 when he received an honorary Oscar.
> He won his Tony in 1969 for "The Great White Hope", a Spoken-Word
> Grammy in 1977, and the first two of three Emmys in 1991 for his
> supporting role in "Heat Wave" and lead role in "Gabriel's Fire".

James Earl Jones

> 10. This actress, director, singer, and songwriter has won two
> Oscars, five personal Emmys, and 10 Grammys. She received an
> honorary Tony as Star of the Decade in 1970. She returned to the
> Tony Awards after a 46-year hiatus in 2016 to present the award
> for Best Musical to the cast of "Hamilton!". President Obama
> said he felt verklempt as he presented her with the Medal of
> Freedom in 2015.

Barbra Streisand

> * Game 8, Round 6 - History - World's Fairs

> 1. The first world exposition sanctioned by the Bureau of
> International Expositions (BIE) began in April 1851. Dubbed "The
> Great Exhibition", its theme was "Industry of all Nations".
> Most notable was the Crystal Palace, the structure that housed
> the exhibits, which was constructed of cast iron and plate glass.
> In what city was the Great Exhibition of 1851 held?

London

> 2. The world's fair held in 1893 celebrated the 400th [sic]
> anniversary of Christopher Columbus's arrival in the New World.
> Notable inventions unveiled here included the Ferris wheel.
> Tragedy struck when the city's popular mayor, Carter Harrison
> Sr., was assassinated two days before the end of the festivities.
> In what city was the 1893 fair held?

Chicago

> 3. Despite the fact that the most revolutionary exhibit at Paris's
> Exposition Universelle in 1889 was a little structure called
> the Eiffel Tower, the fair also commemorated the centennial of
> which significant moment in the host nation's history that is
> traditionally thought to have started the French Revolution?

storming of the Bastille

> 4. The Philadelphia Centennial Exhibition was the second to be
> held in the United States. It was particularly noteworthy
> for showing off products of the early Industrial Revolution
> in America and by new inventions such as the telephone, the
> typewriter, and the mechanical calculator. Within one year,
> in what year was the fair held?

1899

> 5. The 1939-40 world's fair featured the theme "Building the
> World of Tomorrow". Notable exhibits and attractions included
> Bell Labs' Voder (the first attempt to synthesize human speech),
> the Magna Carta, and the 1st World Science Fiction Convention.
> In what city was the fair held?

New York City

> 7. The 1904 St. Louis world's fair saw the unveiling of inventions
> such as the radio phone and the telautograph, a sort of
> precursor to the fax machine. It was also the public debut of
> what revolutionary new machine now commonly found in hospitals
> and airports?

X-ray scanner

> 8. Expo 70 took place in Osaka, Japan. The theme was "Progress and
> Harmony for Mankind". Special exhibits included the Tower of the
> Sun, a moon rock from the Apollo 11 mission -- and demonstrations
> of *what floating public-transportation technology*?

maglev train

> 9. World Expo 88 featured the theme "Leisure in the Age of
> Technology", and the mascot for the fair was a platypus named
> Expo Oz. In what Australian state-capital city was Expo 88 held?

Sydney

> 10. The 2017 Expo will be held in the city of Astana -- which is
> in what country?

Turkey

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Peter Smyth

Jul 22, 2017, 11:10:28 AM7/22/17
Whoopi Goldberg
James Earl Jones
> 9. This actress and singer won her first Tony Award in 1965 and
> went on to win three more. She won both an Oscar and an Emmy
> in 1973 and completed the Grand Slam when she was presented
> with a Living Legend Award at the Grammies in 1997. That same
> year her album "Gently" was nominated for a Grammy in the Best
> Traditional Pop Vocal category, but didn't win.
Liza Minelli
> 10. This actress, director, singer, and songwriter has won two
> Oscars, five personal Emmys, and 10 Grammys. She received an
> honorary Tony as Star of the Decade in 1970. She returned to the
> Tony Awards after a 46-year hiatus in 2016 to present the award
> for Best Musical to the cast of "Hamilton!". President Obama
> said he felt verklempt as he presented her with the Medal of
> Freedom in 2015.
Barbra Streisand

> * Game 8, Round 6 - History - World's Fairs
>
> Since the mid-19th century more than 100 world's fairs have been
> held in more than 20 countries. Generally speaking, these events
> have been called world's fairs in the United States, international
> (or universal) expositions in Continental Europe and Asia, and
> exhibitions in Great Britain. Here are 10 questions about these
> celebrations of architecture and technology.
>
> 1. The first world exposition sanctioned by the Bureau of
> International Expositions (BIE) began in April 1851. Dubbed "The
> Great Exhibition", its theme was "Industry of all Nations".
> Most notable was the Crystal Palace, the structure that housed
> the exhibits, which was constructed of cast iron and plate glass.
> In what city was the Great Exhibition of 1851 held?
London
> 2. The world's fair held in 1893 celebrated the 400th [sic]
> anniversary of Christopher Columbus's arrival in the New World.
> Notable inventions unveiled here included the Ferris wheel.
> Tragedy struck when the city's popular mayor, Carter Harrison
> Sr., was assassinated two days before the end of the festivities.
> In what city was the 1893 fair held?
Chicago
> 3. Despite the fact that the most revolutionary exhibit at Paris's
> Exposition Universelle in 1889 was a little structure called
> the Eiffel Tower, the fair also commemorated the centennial of
> which significant moment in the host nation's history that is
> traditionally thought to have started the French Revolution?
Storming of the Bastille
> 4. The Philadelphia Centennial Exhibition was the second to be
> held in the United States. It was particularly noteworthy
> for showing off products of the early Industrial Revolution
> in America and by new inventions such as the telephone, the
> typewriter, and the mechanical calculator. Within one year,
> in what year was the fair held?
1887
> 5. The 1939-40 world's fair featured the theme "Building the
> World of Tomorrow". Notable exhibits and attractions included
> Bell Labs' Voder (the first attempt to synthesize human speech),
> the Magna Carta, and the 1st World Science Fiction Convention.
> In what city was the fair held?
>
> 6. Expo 67 in Montreal, which featured the theme "Man and His
> World", was well known for its interesting architecture, which
> included Buckminster Fuller's geodesic dome and the Habitat 67
> housing complex. *Which Israeli-Canadian architect* designed
> Habitat 67?
>
> 7. The 1904 St. Louis world's fair saw the unveiling of inventions
> such as the radio phone and the telautograph, a sort of
> precursor to the fax machine. It was also the public debut of
> what revolutionary new machine now commonly found in hospitals
> and airports?
X-ray
> 8. Expo 70 took place in Osaka, Japan. The theme was "Progress and
> Harmony for Mankind". Special exhibits included the Tower of the
> Sun, a moon rock from the Apollo 11 mission -- and demonstrations
> of *what floating public-transportation technology*?
Maglev
> 9. World Expo 88 featured the theme "Leisure in the Age of
> Technology", and the mascot for the fair was a platypus named
> Expo Oz. In what Australian state-capital city was Expo 88 held?
Sydney, Melbourne
> 10. The 2017 Expo will be held in the city of Astana -- which is
> in what country?
Kazakhstan

Peter Smyth

Jason Kreitzer

Jul 23, 2017, 12:19:20 AM7/23/17
Rita Moreno
> 2. This actress, active in the business for more than 80 years,
> received her first Oscar for "The Sin of Madelon Claudet"
> in 1931. She won her second 39 years later for her supporting
> role in a 1970 disaster film. In addition to a Primetime Emmy
> (1953) and a Grammy for a Spoken-Word Recording of the Bill of
> Rights, she also won three Tony Awards, the first in 1947 for
> "Happy Birthday", the second in 1958 for "Time Remembered",
> and the third, an honorary Lifetime Achievement Award, in 1980.
>
> 3. This actress was best known for her film work, for which she
> received a Best Actress Oscar in 1954 for her first starring
> role. She also earned a Best Actress Tony for her work in the
> play "Ondine" that same year. Her Grammy and Emmy wins came
> much later in her career, both awarded posthumously after her
> death in 1993.
>
> 4. This comedian, actress, singer-songwriter, and TV personality
> made the EGOT list in 2002 when she accepted a Tony Award as
> a producer of the hit musical "Thoroughly Modern Millie".
> Her other accolades include a 1985 Grammy for Best Comedy
> Recording, two Daytime Emmy wins, and an Oscar for Best
> Supporting actress for portraying a character named Oda Mae
> Brown in a successful 1990 film.
Whoopi Goldberg
> 5. This actor, comedian, filmmaker, composer, and songwriter has
> won two Grammys, one Oscar, and a Tony. In addition, he won
> the Emmy for Best Guest Actor in a Comedy Series three years
> in a row for his appearances as Paul Reiser's Uncle Phil on
> the TV comedy "Mad About You". It's good to be the King!
Carl Reiner
Barbara Streisand

> * Game 8, Round 6 - History - World's Fairs
>
> Since the mid-19th century more than 100 world's fairs have been
> held in more than 20 countries. Generally speaking, these events
> have been called world's fairs in the United States, international
> (or universal) expositions in Continental Europe and Asia, and
> exhibitions in Great Britain. Here are 10 questions about these
> celebrations of architecture and technology.
>
> 1. The first world exposition sanctioned by the Bureau of
> International Expositions (BIE) began in April 1851. Dubbed "The
> Great Exhibition", its theme was "Industry of all Nations".
> Most notable was the Crystal Palace, the structure that housed
> the exhibits, which was constructed of cast iron and plate glass.
> In what city was the Great Exhibition of 1851 held?
St. Louis, MO
> 2. The world's fair held in 1893 celebrated the 400th [sic]
> anniversary of Christopher Columbus's arrival in the New World.
> Notable inventions unveiled here included the Ferris wheel.
> Tragedy struck when the city's popular mayor, Carter Harrison
> Sr., was assassinated two days before the end of the festivities.
> In what city was the 1893 fair held?
>
> 3. Despite the fact that the most revolutionary exhibit at Paris's
> Exposition Universelle in 1889 was a little structure called
> the Eiffel Tower, the fair also commemorated the centennial of
> which significant moment in the host nation's history that is
> traditionally thought to have started the French Revolution?
Bastille Day?

Calvin

Jul 23, 2017, 9:43:42 PM7/23/17
On Saturday, July 22, 2017 at 3:19:56 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 4 - Entertainment - EGOTs
>
> This round is about a talented few entertainers who have managed
> the Grand Slam of US show business -- winning an Emmy, a Grammy,
> an Oscar, and a Tony during their careers. In each case, name
> the entertainer.
>
> 1. This actress, dancer, and singer won both a Tony for her work
> in "The Ritz" and a Grammy for Best Album for Children in 1975.
> She had already earned a 1961 Supporting Actress Oscar for her
> role as Anita in an Oscar-winning film, and she rounded out the
> Grand Slam with Emmy wins in 1977 and 1978, the latter for her
> special guest appearances on "The Rockford Files".

Morena

> 2. This actress, active in the business for more than 80 years,
> received her first Oscar for "The Sin of Madelon Claudet"
> in 1931. She won her second 39 years later for her supporting
> role in a 1970 disaster film. In addition to a Primetime Emmy
> (1953) and a Grammy for a Spoken-Word Recording of the Bill of
> Rights, she also won three Tony Awards, the first in 1947 for
> "Happy Birthday", the second in 1958 for "Time Remembered",
> and the third, an honorary Lifetime Achievement Award, in 1980.

Hepburn

> 3. This actress was best known for her film work, for which she
> received a Best Actress Oscar in 1954 for her first starring
> role. She also earned a Best Actress Tony for her work in the
> play "Ondine" that same year. Her Grammy and Emmy wins came
> much later in her career, both awarded posthumously after her
> death in 1993.

Hepburn

> 4. This comedian, actress, singer-songwriter, and TV personality
> made the EGOT list in 2002 when she accepted a Tony Award as
> a producer of the hit musical "Thoroughly Modern Millie".
> Her other accolades include a 1985 Grammy for Best Comedy
> Recording, two Daytime Emmy wins, and an Oscar for Best
> Supporting actress for portraying a character named Oda Mae
> Brown in a successful 1990 film.

Goldberg

> 5. This actor, comedian, filmmaker, composer, and songwriter has
> won two Grammys, one Oscar, and a Tony. In addition, he won
> the Emmy for Best Guest Actor in a Comedy Series three years
> in a row for his appearances as Paul Reiser's Uncle Phil on
> the TV comedy "Mad About You". It's good to be the King!
>
> 6. This actor and theatre director's career spanned 8 decades.
> He made the EGOT list after receiving a 1991 Emmy for the
> miniseries "Summer's Lease". Previous awards include a Grammy
> for a Spoken-Word Recording of Shakespeare, and three Tony
> Awards, the last presented in 1961 for directing "Big Fish,
> Little Fish". But he might be best known for his Oscar win as
> Best Supporting Actor in a 1981 romantic comedy.

Prince

> For the last four questions, the star's award in one of the four
> EGOT categories was honorary.
>
> 7. This singer, songwriter, actor, and social activist attained
> the EGOT in 2015 when he was presented with an Oscar as
> recipient of the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award. He won his
> Tony in 1953 for the musical "John Murray Anderson's Almanac"
> and collected his first of three Grammys in 1961 for his album
> "Swing Dat Hammer".
>
> 8. This actor, with one of the best-known voices in show business,
> completed the sweep in 2011 when he received an honorary Oscar.
> He won his Tony in 1969 for "The Great White Hope", a Spoken-Word
> Grammy in 1977, and the first two of three Emmys in 1991 for his
> supporting role in "Heat Wave" and lead role in "Gabriel's Fire".

Newman

> 9. This actress and singer won her first Tony Award in 1965 and
> went on to win three more. She won both an Oscar and an Emmy
> in 1973 and completed the Grand Slam when she was presented
> with a Living Legend Award at the Grammies in 1997. That same
> year her album "Gently" was nominated for a Grammy in the Best
> Traditional Pop Vocal category, but didn't win.

Morena

> 10. This actress, director, singer, and songwriter has won two
> Oscars, five personal Emmys, and 10 Grammys. She received an
> honorary Tony as Star of the Decade in 1970. She returned to the
> Tony Awards after a 46-year hiatus in 2016 to present the award
> for Best Musical to the cast of "Hamilton!". President Obama
> said he felt verklempt as he presented her with the Medal of
> Freedom in 2015.

Andrews

> * Game 8, Round 6 - History - World's Fairs
>
> Since the mid-19th century more than 100 world's fairs have been
> held in more than 20 countries. Generally speaking, these events
> have been called world's fairs in the United States, international
> (or universal) expositions in Continental Europe and Asia, and
> exhibitions in Great Britain. Here are 10 questions about these
> celebrations of architecture and technology.
>
> 1. The first world exposition sanctioned by the Bureau of
> International Expositions (BIE) began in April 1851. Dubbed "The
> Great Exhibition", its theme was "Industry of all Nations".
> Most notable was the Crystal Palace, the structure that housed
> the exhibits, which was constructed of cast iron and plate glass.
> In what city was the Great Exhibition of 1851 held?

London

> 2. The world's fair held in 1893 celebrated the 400th [sic]
> anniversary of Christopher Columbus's arrival in the New World.
> Notable inventions unveiled here included the Ferris wheel.
> Tragedy struck when the city's popular mayor, Carter Harrison
> Sr., was assassinated two days before the end of the festivities.
> In what city was the 1893 fair held?

New York, Boston

> 3. Despite the fact that the most revolutionary exhibit at Paris's
> Exposition Universelle in 1889 was a little structure called
> the Eiffel Tower, the fair also commemorated the centennial of
> which significant moment in the host nation's history that is
> traditionally thought to have started the French Revolution?

Storming of the Bastille

> 4. The Philadelphia Centennial Exhibition was the second to be
> held in the United States. It was particularly noteworthy
> for showing off products of the early Industrial Revolution
> in America and by new inventions such as the telephone, the
> typewriter, and the mechanical calculator. Within one year,
> in what year was the fair held?

1876

> 5. The 1939-40 world's fair featured the theme "Building the
> World of Tomorrow". Notable exhibits and attractions included
> Bell Labs' Voder (the first attempt to synthesize human speech),
> the Magna Carta, and the 1st World Science Fiction Convention.
> In what city was the fair held?

Toronto, Vancouver

> 6. Expo 67 in Montreal, which featured the theme "Man and His
> World", was well known for its interesting architecture, which
> included Buckminster Fuller's geodesic dome and the Habitat 67
> housing complex. *Which Israeli-Canadian architect* designed
> Habitat 67?
>
> 7. The 1904 St. Louis world's fair saw the unveiling of inventions
> such as the radio phone and the telautograph, a sort of
> precursor to the fax machine. It was also the public debut of
> what revolutionary new machine now commonly found in hospitals
> and airports?

X-ray machine

> 8. Expo 70 took place in Osaka, Japan. The theme was "Progress and
> Harmony for Mankind". Special exhibits included the Tower of the
> Sun, a moon rock from the Apollo 11 mission -- and demonstrations
> of *what floating public-transportation technology*?

Magnetic levitation train

> 9. World Expo 88 featured the theme "Leisure in the Age of
> Technology", and the mascot for the fair was a platypus named
> Expo Oz. In what Australian state-capital city was Expo 88 held?

Brisbane

> 10. The 2017 Expo will be held in the city of Astana -- which is
> in what country?

Kazakhstan

cheers,
calvin

Bruce

Jul 24, 2017, 9:11:13 AM7/24/17
On Sat, 22 Jul 2017 00:19:50 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-03-13, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> based only on your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the
> questions and place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are used here
> by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2016-11-26
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 8, Round 4 - Entertainment - EGOTs
>
> This round is about a talented few entertainers who have managed the
> Grand Slam of US show business -- winning an Emmy, a Grammy, an Oscar,
> and a Tony during their careers. In each case, name the entertainer.
>
> 1. This actress, dancer, and singer won both a Tony for her work
> in "The Ritz" and a Grammy for Best Album for Children in 1975. She
> had already earned a 1961 Supporting Actress Oscar for her role as
> Anita in an Oscar-winning film, and she rounded out the Grand Slam
> with Emmy wins in 1977 and 1978, the latter for her special guest
> appearances on "The Rockford Files".

Rita Moreno

> 2. This actress, active in the business for more than 80 years,
> received her first Oscar for "The Sin of Madelon Claudet"
> in 1931. She won her second 39 years later for her supporting role
> in a 1970 disaster film. In addition to a Primetime Emmy (1953) and
> a Grammy for a Spoken-Word Recording of the Bill of Rights, she also
> won three Tony Awards, the first in 1947 for "Happy Birthday", the
> second in 1958 for "Time Remembered",
> and the third, an honorary Lifetime Achievement Award, in 1980.

Helen Hayes

> 3. This actress was best known for her film work, for which she
> received a Best Actress Oscar in 1954 for her first starring role.
> She also earned a Best Actress Tony for her work in the play "Ondine"
> that same year. Her Grammy and Emmy wins came much later in her
> career, both awarded posthumously after her death in 1993.
>
> 4. This comedian, actress, singer-songwriter, and TV personality
> made the EGOT list in 2002 when she accepted a Tony Award as a
> producer of the hit musical "Thoroughly Modern Millie".
> Her other accolades include a 1985 Grammy for Best Comedy Recording,
> two Daytime Emmy wins, and an Oscar for Best Supporting actress for
> portraying a character named Oda Mae Brown in a successful 1990 film.

Carol Burnett

> 5. This actor, comedian, filmmaker, composer, and songwriter has
> won two Grammys, one Oscar, and a Tony. In addition, he won the Emmy
> for Best Guest Actor in a Comedy Series three years in a row for his
> appearances as Paul Reiser's Uncle Phil on the TV comedy "Mad About
> You". It's good to be the King!

Mel Brooks
London

> 2. The world's fair held in 1893 celebrated the 400th [sic]
> anniversary of Christopher Columbus's arrival in the New World.
> Notable inventions unveiled here included the Ferris wheel. Tragedy
> struck when the city's popular mayor, Carter Harrison Sr., was
> assassinated two days before the end of the festivities.
> In what city was the 1893 fair held?

Chicago

> 3. Despite the fact that the most revolutionary exhibit at Paris's
> Exposition Universelle in 1889 was a little structure called the
> Eiffel Tower, the fair also commemorated the centennial of which
> significant moment in the host nation's history that is traditionally
> thought to have started the French Revolution?

Storming the Bastille

> 4. The Philadelphia Centennial Exhibition was the second to be
> held in the United States. It was particularly noteworthy for
> showing off products of the early Industrial Revolution in America
> and by new inventions such as the telephone, the typewriter, and the
> mechanical calculator. Within one year,
> in what year was the fair held?

1876

> 5. The 1939-40 world's fair featured the theme "Building the
> World of Tomorrow". Notable exhibits and attractions included Bell
> Labs' Voder (the first attempt to synthesize human speech), the Magna
> Carta, and the 1st World Science Fiction Convention. In what city was
> the fair held?

New York

> 6. Expo 67 in Montreal, which featured the theme "Man and His
> World", was well known for its interesting architecture, which
> included Buckminster Fuller's geodesic dome and the Habitat 67
> housing complex. *Which Israeli-Canadian architect* designed Habitat
> 67?
>
> 7. The 1904 St. Louis world's fair saw the unveiling of inventions
> such as the radio phone and the telautograph, a sort of precursor to
> the fax machine. It was also the public debut of what revolutionary
> new machine now commonly found in hospitals and airports?

Xray

> 8. Expo 70 took place in Osaka, Japan. The theme was "Progress and
> Harmony for Mankind". Special exhibits included the Tower of the
> Sun, a moon rock from the Apollo 11 mission -- and demonstrations of
> *what floating public-transportation technology*?

Mag-lev trains?

> 9. World Expo 88 featured the theme "Leisure in the Age of
> Technology", and the mascot for the fair was a platypus named Expo
> Oz. In what Australian state-capital city was Expo 88 held?

Melbourne, Sydney

> 10. The 2017 Expo will be held in the city of Astana -- which is
> in what country?

{mumble}stan

Marc Dashevsky

Jul 24, 2017, 10:11:47 AM7/24/17
In article <p9SdnfU1zpDrfe_E...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 8, Round 4 - Entertainment - EGOTs
>
> This round is about a talented few entertainers who have managed
> the Grand Slam of US show business -- winning an Emmy, a Grammy,
> an Oscar, and a Tony during their careers. In each case, name
> the entertainer.
>
> 1. This actress, dancer, and singer won both a Tony for her work
> in "The Ritz" and a Grammy for Best Album for Children in 1975.
> She had already earned a 1961 Supporting Actress Oscar for her
> role as Anita in an Oscar-winning film, and she rounded out the
> Grand Slam with Emmy wins in 1977 and 1978, the latter for her
> special guest appearances on "The Rockford Files".
>
> 2. This actress, active in the business for more than 80 years,
> received her first Oscar for "The Sin of Madelon Claudet"
> in 1931. She won her second 39 years later for her supporting
> role in a 1970 disaster film. In addition to a Primetime Emmy
> (1953) and a Grammy for a Spoken-Word Recording of the Bill of
> Rights, she also won three Tony Awards, the first in 1947 for
> "Happy Birthday", the second in 1958 for "Time Remembered",
> and the third, an honorary Lifetime Achievement Award, in 1980.
Helen Hayes

> 3. This actress was best known for her film work, for which she
> received a Best Actress Oscar in 1954 for her first starring
> role. She also earned a Best Actress Tony for her work in the
> play "Ondine" that same year. Her Grammy and Emmy wins came
> much later in her career, both awarded posthumously after her
> death in 1993.
Audrey Hepburn

> 4. This comedian, actress, singer-songwriter, and TV personality
> made the EGOT list in 2002 when she accepted a Tony Award as
> a producer of the hit musical "Thoroughly Modern Millie".
> Her other accolades include a 1985 Grammy for Best Comedy
> Recording, two Daytime Emmy wins, and an Oscar for Best
> Supporting actress for portraying a character named Oda Mae
> Brown in a successful 1990 film.
Whoopi Goldberg

> 5. This actor, comedian, filmmaker, composer, and songwriter has
> won two Grammys, one Oscar, and a Tony. In addition, he won
> the Emmy for Best Guest Actor in a Comedy Series three years
> in a row for his appearances as Paul Reiser's Uncle Phil on
> the TV comedy "Mad About You". It's good to be the King!
Sid Caesar

> 6. This actor and theatre director's career spanned 8 decades.
> He made the EGOT list after receiving a 1991 Emmy for the
> miniseries "Summer's Lease". Previous awards include a Grammy
> for a Spoken-Word Recording of Shakespeare, and three Tony
> Awards, the last presented in 1961 for directing "Big Fish,
> Little Fish". But he might be best known for his Oscar win as
> Best Supporting Actor in a 1981 romantic comedy.
>
> For the last four questions, the star's award in one of the four
> EGOT categories was honorary.
>
> 7. This singer, songwriter, actor, and social activist attained
> the EGOT in 2015 when he was presented with an Oscar as
> recipient of the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award. He won his
> Tony in 1953 for the musical "John Murray Anderson's Almanac"
> and collected his first of three Grammys in 1961 for his album
> "Swing Dat Hammer".
Harry Belafonte

> 8. This actor, with one of the best-known voices in show business,
> completed the sweep in 2011 when he received an honorary Oscar.
> He won his Tony in 1969 for "The Great White Hope", a Spoken-Word
> Grammy in 1977, and the first two of three Emmys in 1991 for his
> supporting role in "Heat Wave" and lead role in "Gabriel's Fire".
>
> 9. This actress and singer won her first Tony Award in 1965 and
> went on to win three more. She won both an Oscar and an Emmy
> in 1973 and completed the Grand Slam when she was presented
> with a Living Legend Award at the Grammies in 1997. That same
> year her album "Gently" was nominated for a Grammy in the Best
> Traditional Pop Vocal category, but didn't win.
>
> 10. This actress, director, singer, and songwriter has won two
> Oscars, five personal Emmys, and 10 Grammys. She received an
> honorary Tony as Star of the Decade in 1970. She returned to the
> Tony Awards after a 46-year hiatus in 2016 to present the award
> for Best Musical to the cast of "Hamilton!". President Obama
> said he felt verklempt as he presented her with the Medal of
> Freedom in 2015.
Barbra Streisand

> * Game 8, Round 6 - History - World's Fairs
>
> Since the mid-19th century more than 100 world's fairs have been
> held in more than 20 countries. Generally speaking, these events
> have been called world's fairs in the United States, international
> (or universal) expositions in Continental Europe and Asia, and
> exhibitions in Great Britain. Here are 10 questions about these
> celebrations of architecture and technology.
>
> 1. The first world exposition sanctioned by the Bureau of
> International Expositions (BIE) began in April 1851. Dubbed "The
> Great Exhibition", its theme was "Industry of all Nations".
> Most notable was the Crystal Palace, the structure that housed
> the exhibits, which was constructed of cast iron and plate glass.
> In what city was the Great Exhibition of 1851 held?
London

> 2. The world's fair held in 1893 celebrated the 400th [sic]
> anniversary of Christopher Columbus's arrival in the New World.
> Notable inventions unveiled here included the Ferris wheel.
> Tragedy struck when the city's popular mayor, Carter Harrison
> Sr., was assassinated two days before the end of the festivities.
> In what city was the 1893 fair held?
Chicago

> 3. Despite the fact that the most revolutionary exhibit at Paris's
> Exposition Universelle in 1889 was a little structure called
> the Eiffel Tower, the fair also commemorated the centennial of
> which significant moment in the host nation's history that is
> traditionally thought to have started the French Revolution?
>
> 4. The Philadelphia Centennial Exhibition was the second to be
> held in the United States. It was particularly noteworthy
> for showing off products of the early Industrial Revolution
> in America and by new inventions such as the telephone, the
> typewriter, and the mechanical calculator. Within one year,
> in what year was the fair held?
1876

> 5. The 1939-40 world's fair featured the theme "Building the
> World of Tomorrow". Notable exhibits and attractions included
> Bell Labs' Voder (the first attempt to synthesize human speech),
> the Magna Carta, and the 1st World Science Fiction Convention.
> In what city was the fair held?
>
> 6. Expo 67 in Montreal, which featured the theme "Man and His
> World", was well known for its interesting architecture, which
> included Buckminster Fuller's geodesic dome and the Habitat 67
> housing complex. *Which Israeli-Canadian architect* designed
> Habitat 67?
Safdie

> 7. The 1904 St. Louis world's fair saw the unveiling of inventions
> such as the radio phone and the telautograph, a sort of
> precursor to the fax machine. It was also the public debut of
> what revolutionary new machine now commonly found in hospitals
> and airports?
x-ray machine

> 8. Expo 70 took place in Osaka, Japan. The theme was "Progress and
> Harmony for Mankind". Special exhibits included the Tower of the
> Sun, a moon rock from the Apollo 11 mission -- and demonstrations
> of *what floating public-transportation technology*?
maglev

> 9. World Expo 88 featured the theme "Leisure in the Age of
> Technology", and the mascot for the fair was a platypus named
> Expo Oz. In what Australian state-capital city was Expo 88 held?
>
> 10. The 2017 Expo will be held in the city of Astana -- which is
> in what country?
Kazakstan

Pete Gayde

Jul 24, 2017, 6:42:13 PM7/24/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:p9SdnfU1zpDrfe_EnZ2dnUU7-
R3N...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-03-13,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 8, Round 4 - Entertainment - EGOTs
>
> This round is about a talented few entertainers who have managed
> the Grand Slam of US show business -- winning an Emmy, a Grammy,
> an Oscar, and a Tony during their careers. In each case, name
> the entertainer.
>
> 1. This actress, dancer, and singer won both a Tony for her work
> in "The Ritz" and a Grammy for Best Album for Children in 1975.
> She had already earned a 1961 Supporting Actress Oscar for her
> role as Anita in an Oscar-winning film, and she rounded out the
> Grand Slam with Emmy wins in 1977 and 1978, the latter for her
> special guest appearances on "The Rockford Files".

Rita Moreno

> 2. This actress, active in the business for more than 80 years,
> received her first Oscar for "The Sin of Madelon Claudet"
> in 1931. She won her second 39 years later for her supporting
> role in a 1970 disaster film. In addition to a Primetime Emmy
> (1953) and a Grammy for a Spoken-Word Recording of the Bill of
> Rights, she also won three Tony Awards, the first in 1947 for
> "Happy Birthday", the second in 1958 for "Time Remembered",
> and the third, an honorary Lifetime Achievement Award, in 1980.

Ruth Gordon

> 3. This actress was best known for her film work, for which she
> received a Best Actress Oscar in 1954 for her first starring
> role. She also earned a Best Actress Tony for her work in the
> play "Ondine" that same year. Her Grammy and Emmy wins came
> much later in her career, both awarded posthumously after her
> death in 1993.

Audrey Hepburn

> 4. This comedian, actress, singer-songwriter, and TV personality
> made the EGOT list in 2002 when she accepted a Tony Award as
> a producer of the hit musical "Thoroughly Modern Millie".
> Her other accolades include a 1985 Grammy for Best Comedy
> Recording, two Daytime Emmy wins, and an Oscar for Best
> Supporting actress for portraying a character named Oda Mae
> Brown in a successful 1990 film.

Cher

> 5. This actor, comedian, filmmaker, composer, and songwriter has
> won two Grammys, one Oscar, and a Tony. In addition, he won
> the Emmy for Best Guest Actor in a Comedy Series three years
> in a row for his appearances as Paul Reiser's Uncle Phil on
> the TV comedy "Mad About You". It's good to be the King!

Mel Brooks

> 6. This actor and theatre director's career spanned 8 decades.
> He made the EGOT list after receiving a 1991 Emmy for the
> miniseries "Summer's Lease". Previous awards include a Grammy
> for a Spoken-Word Recording of Shakespeare, and three Tony
> Awards, the last presented in 1961 for directing "Big Fish,
> Little Fish". But he might be best known for his Oscar win as
> Best Supporting Actor in a 1981 romantic comedy.

Tony Perkins

> For the last four questions, the star's award in one of the four
> EGOT categories was honorary.
>
> 7. This singer, songwriter, actor, and social activist attained
> the EGOT in 2015 when he was presented with an Oscar as
> recipient of the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award. He won his
> Tony in 1953 for the musical "John Murray Anderson's Almanac"
> and collected his first of three Grammys in 1961 for his album
> "Swing Dat Hammer".

Harry Belafonte

> 8. This actor, with one of the best-known voices in show business,
> completed the sweep in 2011 when he received an honorary Oscar.
> He won his Tony in 1969 for "The Great White Hope", a Spoken-Word
> Grammy in 1977, and the first two of three Emmys in 1991 for his
> supporting role in "Heat Wave" and lead role in "Gabriel's Fire".
>
> 9. This actress and singer won her first Tony Award in 1965 and
> went on to win three more. She won both an Oscar and an Emmy
> in 1973 and completed the Grand Slam when she was presented
> with a Living Legend Award at the Grammies in 1997. That same
> year her album "Gently" was nominated for a Grammy in the Best
> Traditional Pop Vocal category, but didn't win.

Debbie Reynolds

> 10. This actress, director, singer, and songwriter has won two
> Oscars, five personal Emmys, and 10 Grammys. She received an
> honorary Tony as Star of the Decade in 1970. She returned to the
> Tony Awards after a 46-year hiatus in 2016 to present the award
> for Best Musical to the cast of "Hamilton!". President Obama
> said he felt verklempt as he presented her with the Medal of
> Freedom in 2015.

Barbra Streisand

> * Game 8, Round 6 - History - World's Fairs
>
> Since the mid-19th century more than 100 world's fairs have been
> held in more than 20 countries. Generally speaking, these events
> have been called world's fairs in the United States, international
> (or universal) expositions in Continental Europe and Asia, and
> exhibitions in Great Britain. Here are 10 questions about these
> celebrations of architecture and technology.
>
> 1. The first world exposition sanctioned by the Bureau of
> International Expositions (BIE) began in April 1851. Dubbed "The
> Great Exhibition", its theme was "Industry of all Nations".
> Most notable was the Crystal Palace, the structure that housed
> the exhibits, which was constructed of cast iron and plate glass.
> In what city was the Great Exhibition of 1851 held?

London

> 2. The world's fair held in 1893 celebrated the 400th [sic]
> anniversary of Christopher Columbus's arrival in the New World.
> Notable inventions unveiled here included the Ferris wheel.
> Tragedy struck when the city's popular mayor, Carter Harrison
> Sr., was assassinated two days before the end of the festivities.
> In what city was the 1893 fair held?

Chicago

> 3. Despite the fact that the most revolutionary exhibit at Paris's
> Exposition Universelle in 1889 was a little structure called
> the Eiffel Tower, the fair also commemorated the centennial of
> which significant moment in the host nation's history that is
> traditionally thought to have started the French Revolution?

Storming the Bastille

> 4. The Philadelphia Centennial Exhibition was the second to be
> held in the United States. It was particularly noteworthy
> for showing off products of the early Industrial Revolution
> in America and by new inventions such as the telephone, the
> typewriter, and the mechanical calculator. Within one year,
> in what year was the fair held?
>
> 5. The 1939-40 world's fair featured the theme "Building the
> World of Tomorrow". Notable exhibits and attractions included
> Bell Labs' Voder (the first attempt to synthesize human speech),
> the Magna Carta, and the 1st World Science Fiction Convention.
> In what city was the fair held?

New York

> 6. Expo 67 in Montreal, which featured the theme "Man and His
> World", was well known for its interesting architecture, which
> included Buckminster Fuller's geodesic dome and the Habitat 67
> housing complex. *Which Israeli-Canadian architect* designed
> Habitat 67?
>
> 7. The 1904 St. Louis world's fair saw the unveiling of inventions
> such as the radio phone and the telautograph, a sort of
> precursor to the fax machine. It was also the public debut of
> what revolutionary new machine now commonly found in hospitals
> and airports?

Defibrillator

> 8. Expo 70 took place in Osaka, Japan. The theme was "Progress and
> Harmony for Mankind". Special exhibits included the Tower of the
> Sun, a moon rock from the Apollo 11 mission -- and demonstrations
> of *what floating public-transportation technology*?

Hovercraft

> 9. World Expo 88 featured the theme "Leisure in the Age of
> Technology", and the mascot for the fair was a platypus named
> Expo Oz. In what Australian state-capital city was Expo 88 held?
>
> 10. The 2017 Expo will be held in the city of Astana -- which is
> in what country?

Kazakhstan

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Jul 25, 2017, 1:58:15 AM7/25/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-03-13,
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 8, Round 4 - Entertainment - EGOTs

> This round is about a talented few entertainers who have managed
> the Grand Slam of US show business -- winning an Emmy, a Grammy,
> an Oscar, and a Tony during their careers. In each case, name
> the entertainer.

> 1. This actress, dancer, and singer won both a Tony for her work
> in "The Ritz" and a Grammy for Best Album for Children in 1975.
> She had already earned a 1961 Supporting Actress Oscar for her
> role as Anita in an Oscar-winning film, and she rounded out the
> Grand Slam with Emmy wins in 1977 and 1978, the latter for her
> special guest appearances on "The Rockford Files".

Rita Moreno. 4 for Joshua, Jason, Bruce, and Pete. 3 for Calvin.

> 2. This actress, active in the business for more than 80 years,
> received her first Oscar for "The Sin of Madelon Claudet"
> in 1931. She won her second 39 years later for her supporting
> role in a 1970 disaster film. In addition to a Primetime Emmy
> (1953) and a Grammy for a Spoken-Word Recording of the Bill of
> Rights, she also won three Tony Awards, the first in 1947 for
> "Happy Birthday", the second in 1958 for "Time Remembered",
> and the third, an honorary Lifetime Achievement Award, in 1980.

Helen Hayes. 4 for Joshua, Bruce, and Marc.

> 3. This actress was best known for her film work, for which she
> received a Best Actress Oscar in 1954 for her first starring
> role. She also earned a Best Actress Tony for her work in the
> play "Ondine" that same year. Her Grammy and Emmy wins came
> much later in her career, both awarded posthumously after her
> death in 1993.

Audrey Hepburn. I accepted "Hepburn" alone. 4 for Joshua, Calvin,
Marc, and Pete.

> 4. This comedian, actress, singer-songwriter, and TV personality
> made the EGOT list in 2002 when she accepted a Tony Award as
> a producer of the hit musical "Thoroughly Modern Millie".
> Her other accolades include a 1985 Grammy for Best Comedy
> Recording, two Daytime Emmy wins, and an Oscar for Best
> Supporting actress for portraying a character named Oda Mae
> Brown in a successful 1990 film.

Whoopi Goldberg. 4 for Joshua, Peter, Jason, Calvin, and Marc.

> 5. This actor, comedian, filmmaker, composer, and songwriter has
> won two Grammys, one Oscar, and a Tony. In addition, he won
> the Emmy for Best Guest Actor in a Comedy Series three years
> in a row for his appearances as Paul Reiser's Uncle Phil on
> the TV comedy "Mad About You". It's good to be the King!

Mel Brooks. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Bruce, and Pete.

> 6. This actor and theatre director's career spanned 8 decades.
> He made the EGOT list after receiving a 1991 Emmy for the
> miniseries "Summer's Lease". Previous awards include a Grammy
> for a Spoken-Word Recording of Shakespeare, and three Tony
> Awards, the last presented in 1961 for directing "Big Fish,
> Little Fish". But he might be best known for his Oscar win as
> Best Supporting Actor in a 1981 romantic comedy.

Sir John Gielgud. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> For the last four questions, the star's award in one of the four
> EGOT categories was honorary.

> 7. This singer, songwriter, actor, and social activist attained
> the EGOT in 2015 when he was presented with an Oscar as
> recipient of the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award. He won his
> Tony in 1953 for the musical "John Murray Anderson's Almanac"
> and collected his first of three Grammys in 1961 for his album
> "Swing Dat Hammer".

Harry Belafonte. 4 for Joshua, Marc, and Pete.

> 8. This actor, with one of the best-known voices in show business,
> completed the sweep in 2011 when he received an honorary Oscar.
> He won his Tony in 1969 for "The Great White Hope", a Spoken-Word
> Grammy in 1977, and the first two of three Emmys in 1991 for his
> supporting role in "Heat Wave" and lead role in "Gabriel's Fire".

James Earl Jones. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Peter.

> 9. This actress and singer won her first Tony Award in 1965 and
> went on to win three more. She won both an Oscar and an Emmy
> in 1973 and completed the Grand Slam when she was presented
> with a Living Legend Award at the Grammies in 1997. That same
> year her album "Gently" was nominated for a Grammy in the Best
> Traditional Pop Vocal category, but didn't win.

Liza Minnelli. 4 for Joshua and Peter.

> 10. This actress, director, singer, and songwriter has won two
> Oscars, five personal Emmys, and 10 Grammys. She received an
> honorary Tony as Star of the Decade in 1970. She returned to the
> Tony Awards after a 46-year hiatus in 2016 to present the award
> for Best Musical to the cast of "Hamilton!". President Obama
> said he felt verklempt as he presented her with the Medal of
> Freedom in 2015.

Barbra Streisand. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Peter, Jason, Marc,
and Pete.

> * Game 8, Round 6 - History - World's Fairs

> Since the mid-19th century more than 100 world's fairs have been
> held in more than 20 countries. Generally speaking, these events
> have been called world's fairs in the United States, international
> (or universal) expositions in Continental Europe and Asia, and
> exhibitions in Great Britain. Here are 10 questions about these
> celebrations of architecture and technology.

> 1. The first world exposition sanctioned by the Bureau of
> International Expositions (BIE) began in April 1851. Dubbed "The
> Great Exhibition", its theme was "Industry of all Nations".
> Most notable was the Crystal Palace, the structure that housed
> the exhibits, which was constructed of cast iron and plate glass.
> In what city was the Great Exhibition of 1851 held?

London. 4 for Joshua, Erland, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Peter, Calvin,
Bruce, Marc, and Pete.

> 2. The world's fair held in 1893 celebrated the 400th [sic]
> anniversary of Christopher Columbus's arrival in the New World.
> Notable inventions unveiled here included the Ferris wheel.
> Tragedy struck when the city's popular mayor, Carter Harrison
> Sr., was assassinated two days before the end of the festivities.
> In what city was the 1893 fair held?

Chicago. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Peter, Bruce, Marc,
and Pete.

> 3. Despite the fact that the most revolutionary exhibit at Paris's
> Exposition Universelle in 1889 was a little structure called
> the Eiffel Tower, the fair also commemorated the centennial of
> which significant moment in the host nation's history that is
> traditionally thought to have started the French Revolution?

Storming of the Bastille. (A replica of the infamous prison was
featured.) I did not accept Bastille Day, which commemorates the
*anniversary* of this event -- in other words, you had to know *why*
it's called that. 4 for Joshua, Erland, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Peter,
Calvin, Bruce, and Pete.

> 4. The Philadelphia Centennial Exhibition was the second to be
> held in the United States. It was particularly noteworthy
> for showing off products of the early Industrial Revolution
> in America and by new inventions such as the telephone, the
> typewriter, and the mechanical calculator. Within one year,
> in what year was the fair held?

1876, duh. (Accepting 1875-77.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Calvin,
Bruce, and Marc.

> 5. The 1939-40 world's fair featured the theme "Building the
> World of Tomorrow". Notable exhibits and attractions included
> Bell Labs' Voder (the first attempt to synthesize human speech),
> the Magna Carta, and the 1st World Science Fiction Convention.
> In what city was the fair held?

New York. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Bruce, and Pete.

> 6. Expo 67 in Montreal, which featured the theme "Man and His
> World", was well known for its interesting architecture, which
> included Buckminster Fuller's geodesic dome and the Habitat 67
> housing complex. *Which Israeli-Canadian architect* designed
> Habitat 67?

Moshe Safdie. 4 for Marc.

> 7. The 1904 St. Louis world's fair saw the unveiling of inventions
> such as the radio phone and the telautograph, a sort of
> precursor to the fax machine. It was also the public debut of
> what revolutionary new machine now commonly found in hospitals
> and airports?

X-ray. 4 for Erland, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Peter, Calvin, Bruce,
and Marc.

> 8. Expo 70 took place in Osaka, Japan. The theme was "Progress and
> Harmony for Mankind". Special exhibits included the Tower of the
> Sun, a moon rock from the Apollo 11 mission -- and demonstrations
> of *what floating public-transportation technology*?

Maglev train. 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Calvin, Bruce, and Marc.

> 9. World Expo 88 featured the theme "Leisure in the Age of
> Technology", and the mascot for the fair was a platypus named
> Expo Oz. In what Australian state-capital city was Expo 88 held?

Brisbane, Queensland. 4 for Calvin. 3 for Joshua. 2 for Dan Tilque.

> 10. The 2017 Expo will be held in the city of Astana -- which is
> in what country?

Kazakhstan. (See http://expo2017astana.com/en/ if you're interested.)
4 for Joshua, Erland, Dan Tilque, Peter, Calvin, Marc, and Pete.
{mumble} for Bruce.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Mis Ent His
Joshua Kreitzer 12 40 27 79
Marc Dashevsky 20 20 28 68
Dan Blum 24 16 24 64
Peter Smyth 16 16 24 56
"Calvin" 16 11 28 55
Dan Tilque 16 0 30 46
Pete Gayde -- 20 20 40
Bruce Bowler 40 -- -- 40
"Bruce" -- 12 28 40
Erland Sommarskog -- 0 16 16
Jason Kreitzer 4 12 0 16

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "If you wish so, we write your consummations
m...@vex.net | on your bill." --Swiss hotel services handbook

Bruce

Jul 25, 2017, 7:57:09 AM7/25/17
On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 00:58:09 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> Scores, if there are no errors:
>
> GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2 4 6 TOTALS
> TOPICS-> Mis Ent His
{snip}
> Bruce Bowler 40 -- -- 40
> "Bruce" -- 12 28 40
{snip}

Not quite sure what happened, since I don't recall changing anything at
this end, but those are both the same person, me...

Bruce Bowler

Mark Brader

Jul 25, 2017, 6:46:02 PM7/25/17
Mark Brader:
>> Scores, if there are no errors:
>>
>> GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2 4 6 TOTALS
>> TOPICS-> Mis Ent His
>> Bruce Bowler 40 -- -- 40
>> "Bruce" -- 12 28 40

Bruce Bowler:
> Not quite sure what happened, since I don't recall changing anything at
> this end, but those are both the same person, me...

It's because this time I forgot to apply the usual manual correction
for your surname being missing from for your From: line, and also
didn't review the table before posting to notice the error.

Scores, if there are now no errors:

GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Mis Ent His
Bruce Bowler 40 12 28 80
Joshua Kreitzer 12 40 27 79
Marc Dashevsky 20 20 28 68
Dan Blum 24 16 24 64
Peter Smyth 16 16 24 56
"Calvin" 16 11 28 55
Dan Tilque 16 0 30 46
Pete Gayde -- 20 20 40
Erland Sommarskog -- 0 16 16
Jason Kreitzer 4 12 0 16

--
Mark Brader "Men are animals."
Toronto "What are women? Plants, birds, fish?"