QFTCIRS Game 6, Rounds 4,6: national parks and biographies

Mark Brader

Dec 21, 2019, 3:32:34 PM12/21/19
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-10-28,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Red Smarties and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2019-10-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 6, Round 4 - Geography - Bad National Park Reviews

We read you a real one-star review of a US national park and the
year the park opened, and you tell us what park.

1. "Don't waste your time!! I have lived in places ranging from
by the ocean to the desert, and I have to stay this is
the ugliest place I have ever seen. Most deserts at least
have some color to them, creating their own special beauty,
not here. I paid $20 for nothing but nasty rock and salt."
Park established in 1994, previously a National Monument.

2. "SNORE. Sure, sure. If you live in an area devoid of natural
wonders, your mind will be blown. But here in the Pacific North
West, where there is no shortage of such things, something
has to be much more grand than blue water in a big hole."
Park established in 1902.

3. "Unless you find big caves and rocks overwhelmingly fascinating
then skip this. A walk along dimly lit paths with rocks and
pits and pools illuminated, big F-ing deal." Park established
in 1930.

4. "The dirt here is of poor quality. The only tree that grows is
this ugly thing called a lone pine. No flowers to speak of
grow here. The place is huge and traffic and parking is super
painful. The last thing is once you see water come out of the
ground once, you're good." Park established 1872.

5. "When we arrived my comment was 'this is it?' It's basically
washed out hills of 50,000 year old mud. You have vast
grasslands on one side, and old mud on the other. And the mud
wasn't even different colored layers, it was brown. Unless you
are really into old west history or prehistoric mammals, don't
go here." Park established 1978, previously a National Monument.

6. "Scenery is grand and huge and up in the air and distant and
impersonal. I got bored fast, and the 109 degree heat didn't
help in the least. East of the tunnel the sandstone scenery is
much more dramatic, but the turnouts are small and feel dangerous
if you have young kids. The taco bar is incredibly boring."
Park established 1919.

7. "If you are looking for real adventure, skip it. It is a
four hour bus ride to Eilsen visitors centre. The bus stops
way too much. The hiking trails are limited. Two of the trails
were closed because of bears. According to their records, you
only have a 35% chance of seeing the mountain, 25 miles away
from the visitors center in July." Park established in 1917,
give its current name.

8. "Beautiful but not a good experience for me. All the campgrounds
were full and the motel near the Canadian Border too. With
nowhere to go I parked in a wide pull over spot with no signs and
was told by a park ranger I had to leave. I will never go back!
If I do it will be on the Canadian side." Park established 1910.

9. "Terrible service. There was no safety net. My kids both
fell in. They didn't even have room service. Way too deep
in my opinion." Park established 1919.

10. "Lack luster experience all around. You're better off
going to Hanging Lake, or just not coming to Colorado at all."
Park established 1915.

* Game 6, Round 6 - Literature - Biographies

We give you the year of publication, the author, and a short
description taken from bookseller websites. For #1-8, you can
give us *either* the subject of the biography, or its title.
Subjects do not repeat.

1. 2015. By Irin Carmon and Shana Knizhnik, subtitled "The Life and
Times of <subject>". Supreme Court Justice <subject> never asked
for fame, she was just trying to make the world a little better
and a little freer. But along the way, the feminist pioneer's
searing dissents and steely strength have inspired millions.

2. 2005. Subtitled "A Life of <subject>". Author George Sayer's
first impression of the subject as interesting proved true, but
he was more than just that. He was a devout Christian, a gifted
literary scholar, best-selling author, and brilliant apologist.

3. 1969. By Antonia Fraser. This biography tells of the
quintessential queen: statuesque, regal, dazzlingly beautiful.
Her royal birth gave her claim to the thrones of two nations;
her marriage to the young French dauphin promised to put a third
glorious crown on her noble head.

4. 1973. By Antonia Fraser and subtitled "our chief of men".
No Englishman has made more impact on the history of his nation
than the subject; few have been so persistently maligned in
the folklore of history... freed from the distortions of myth
and Royalist propaganda, he was of man of contradictions.

5. 2013. Paul Wells' book is a definitive portrait of this prime
minister while he was in power. No matter the ups and downs,
the triumphs and the self-inflicted wounds, the subject has been
moving to build the Canada he wants, the Canada a significant
proportion of Canadian voters want, or they wouldn't have
elected him three times.

6. 2009. John English's second volume, covering the period from
the prime minister's rise to power through to his death.
He tells how for the subject, style was as important as
substance, and how the controversial public figure intertwined
with the charismatic private man and committed father, tracing
his deep friendships, with women especially, and bitter enmities.

7. 2010. Subtitled "the enduring mystery of <subject> and the
woman who loved him". Roy MacGregor's lifelong fascination with
the subject led him to write his novel "Canoe Lake", inspired
by a distant relative's affair with one of Canada's greatest
painters. Name the subject of this subsequent biography,
or its title.

8. 2008, by Peter C. Newman and subtitled "The Passionate Life and
Turbulent Times of <subject>, Canada's Media Mogul". The subject
is described as a visionary and a billionaire at least twice
over; he ran his empire out of his briefcase... What made
him so special was his ability to create warm, electric moments
with his friends and loyalists, while inspiring loathing among
his critics and enemies.

For #9-10, the title is the subject's first and last name, and
that's what you have to give.

9. 1998. By Juan Williams, subtitled "American Revolutionary".
A definitive biography of the great lawyer and Supreme Court
justice.

10. 2001. David McCullough unfolds the adventurous life-journey of
the brilliant, fiercely independent, often irascible, always
honest Yankee patriot... who spared nothing in his zeal for the
American Revolution, who rose to become President of the United
States , who was learned beyond all but a few, and regarded by
some as out of his senses.

After completing the route, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh whfg
nafjrerq "Znel" sbe nal dhrfgvba, lbh arrq gb tb onpx naq fcrpvsl
juvpu Znel lbh zrnag.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "...blind faith can ruin the eyesight--
m...@vex.net | and the perspective." --Robert Ludlum

Erland Sommarskog

Dec 21, 2019, 4:55:19 PM12/21/19
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 6, Round 6 - Literature - Biographies
>
> 1. 2015. By Irin Carmon and Shana Knizhnik, subtitled "The Life and
> Times of <subject>". Supreme Court Justice <subject> never asked
> for fame, she was just trying to make the world a little better
> and a little freer. But along the way, the feminist pioneer's
> searing dissents and steely strength have inspired millions.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg

> 3. 1969. By Antonia Fraser. This biography tells of the
> quintessential queen: statuesque, regal, dazzlingly beautiful.
> Her royal birth gave her claim to the thrones of two nations;
> her marriage to the young French dauphin promised to put a third
> glorious crown on her noble head.

Catherine the Great

> 10. 2001. David McCullough unfolds the adventurous life-journey of
> the brilliant, fiercely independent, often irascible, always
> honest Yankee patriot... who spared nothing in his zeal for the
> American Revolution, who rose to become President of the United
> States , who was learned beyond all but a few, and regarded by
> some as out of his senses.

Thomas Jefferson

Joshua Kreitzer

Dec 21, 2019, 5:01:37 PM12/21/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:u4idnSnB0r3BHGPAnZ2dnUU7-
U_N...@giganews.com:

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Geography - Bad National Park Reviews
>
> We read you a real one-star review of a US national park and the
> year the park opened, and you tell us what park.
>
> 2. "SNORE. Sure, sure. If you live in an area devoid of natural
> wonders, your mind will be blown. But here in the Pacific North
> West, where there is no shortage of such things, something
> has to be much more grand than blue water in a big hole."
> Park established in 1902.

Crater Lake

> 3. "Unless you find big caves and rocks overwhelmingly fascinating
> then skip this. A walk along dimly lit paths with rocks and
> pits and pools illuminated, big F-ing deal." Park established
> in 1930.

Mammoth Cave; Carlsbad Caverns

> 4. "The dirt here is of poor quality. The only tree that grows is
> this ugly thing called a lone pine. No flowers to speak of
> grow here. The place is huge and traffic and parking is super
> painful. The last thing is once you see water come out of the
> ground once, you're good." Park established 1872.

Yellowstone

> 5. "When we arrived my comment was 'this is it?' It's basically
> washed out hills of 50,000 year old mud. You have vast
> grasslands on one side, and old mud on the other. And the mud
> wasn't even different colored layers, it was brown. Unless you
> are really into old west history or prehistoric mammals, don't
> go here." Park established 1978, previously a National Monument.

Badlands

> 6. "Scenery is grand and huge and up in the air and distant and
> impersonal. I got bored fast, and the 109 degree heat didn't
> help in the least. East of the tunnel the sandstone scenery is
> much more dramatic, but the turnouts are small and feel dangerous
> if you have young kids. The taco bar is incredibly boring."
> Park established 1919.

Yosemite

> 7. "If you are looking for real adventure, skip it. It is a
> four hour bus ride to Eilsen visitors centre. The bus stops
> way too much. The hiking trails are limited. Two of the trails
> were closed because of bears. According to their records, you
> only have a 35% chance of seeing the mountain, 25 miles away
> from the visitors center in July." Park established in 1917,
> give its current name.

Mount Rainier

> 9. "Terrible service. There was no safety net. My kids both
> fell in. They didn't even have room service. Way too deep
> in my opinion." Park established 1919.

Canyonlands; Grand Canyon

> 10. "Lack luster experience all around. You're better off
> going to Hanging Lake, or just not coming to Colorado at all."
> Park established 1915.

Rocky Mountains

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Literature - Biographies
>
> We give you the year of publication, the author, and a short
> description taken from bookseller websites. For #1-8, you can
> give us *either* the subject of the biography, or its title.
>
> 2. 2005. Subtitled "A Life of <subject>". Author George Sayer's
> first impression of the subject as interesting proved true, but
> he was more than just that. He was a devout Christian, a gifted
> literary scholar, best-selling author, and brilliant apologist.

C.S. Lewis

> 3. 1969. By Antonia Fraser. This biography tells of the
> quintessential queen: statuesque, regal, dazzlingly beautiful.
> Her royal birth gave her claim to the thrones of two nations;
> her marriage to the young French dauphin promised to put a third
> glorious crown on her noble head.

Mary Queen of Scots

> 4. 1973. By Antonia Fraser and subtitled "our chief of men".
> No Englishman has made more impact on the history of his nation
> than the subject; few have been so persistently maligned in
> the folklore of history... freed from the distortions of myth
> and Royalist propaganda, he was of man of contradictions.

Oliver Cromwell

> 5. 2013. Paul Wells' book is a definitive portrait of this prime
> minister while he was in power. No matter the ups and downs,
> the triumphs and the self-inflicted wounds, the subject has been
> moving to build the Canada he wants, the Canada a significant
> proportion of Canadian voters want, or they wouldn't have
> elected him three times.

Pierre Trudeau

> 8. 2008, by Peter C. Newman and subtitled "The Passionate Life and
> Turbulent Times of <subject>, Canada's Media Mogul". The subject
> is described as a visionary and a billionaire at least twice
> over; he ran his empire out of his briefcase... What made
> him so special was his ability to create warm, electric moments
> with his friends and loyalists, while inspiring loathing among
> his critics and enemies.

Conrad Black

> For #9-10, the title is the subject's first and last name, and
> that's what you have to give.
>
> 9. 1998. By Juan Williams, subtitled "American Revolutionary".
> A definitive biography of the great lawyer and Supreme Court
> justice.

Thurgood Marshall

> 10. 2001. David McCullough unfolds the adventurous life-journey of
> the brilliant, fiercely independent, often irascible, always
> honest Yankee patriot... who spared nothing in his zeal for the
> American Revolution, who rose to become President of the United
> States , who was learned beyond all but a few, and regarded by
> some as out of his senses.

John Adams

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Blum

Dec 21, 2019, 11:41:53 PM12/21/19
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Geography - Bad National Park Reviews

> 1. "Don't waste your time!! I have lived in places ranging from
> by the ocean to the desert, and I have to stay this is
> the ugliest place I have ever seen. Most deserts at least
> have some color to them, creating their own special beauty,
> not here. I paid $20 for nothing but nasty rock and salt."
> Park established in 1994, previously a National Monument.

Death Valley

> 2. "SNORE. Sure, sure. If you live in an area devoid of natural
> wonders, your mind will be blown. But here in the Pacific North
> West, where there is no shortage of such things, something
> has to be much more grand than blue water in a big hole."
> Park established in 1902.

Crater Lake

> 3. "Unless you find big caves and rocks overwhelmingly fascinating
> then skip this. A walk along dimly lit paths with rocks and
> pits and pools illuminated, big F-ing deal." Park established
> in 1930.

Mammoth Cave

> 4. "The dirt here is of poor quality. The only tree that grows is
> this ugly thing called a lone pine. No flowers to speak of
> grow here. The place is huge and traffic and parking is super
> painful. The last thing is once you see water come out of the
> ground once, you're good." Park established 1872.

Yellowstone

> 7. "If you are looking for real adventure, skip it. It is a
> four hour bus ride to Eilsen visitors centre. The bus stops
> way too much. The hiking trails are limited. Two of the trails
> were closed because of bears. According to their records, you
> only have a 35% chance of seeing the mountain, 25 miles away
> from the visitors center in July." Park established in 1917,
> give its current name.

Denali

> 8. "Beautiful but not a good experience for me. All the campgrounds
> were full and the motel near the Canadian Border too. With
> nowhere to go I parked in a wide pull over spot with no signs and
> was told by a park ranger I had to leave. I will never go back!
> If I do it will be on the Canadian side." Park established 1910.

Niagara Falls

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Literature - Biographies

> 1. 2015. By Irin Carmon and Shana Knizhnik, subtitled "The Life and
> Times of <subject>". Supreme Court Justice <subject> never asked
> for fame, she was just trying to make the world a little better
> and a little freer. But along the way, the feminist pioneer's
> searing dissents and steely strength have inspired millions.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg

> 3. 1969. By Antonia Fraser. This biography tells of the
> quintessential queen: statuesque, regal, dazzlingly beautiful.
> Her royal birth gave her claim to the thrones of two nations;
> her marriage to the young French dauphin promised to put a third
> glorious crown on her noble head.

Mary Queen of Scots

> 4. 1973. By Antonia Fraser and subtitled "our chief of men".
> No Englishman has made more impact on the history of his nation
> than the subject; few have been so persistently maligned in
> the folklore of history... freed from the distortions of myth
> and Royalist propaganda, he was of man of contradictions.

Oliver Cromwell

> 5. 2013. Paul Wells' book is a definitive portrait of this prime
> minister while he was in power. No matter the ups and downs,
> the triumphs and the self-inflicted wounds, the subject has been
> moving to build the Canada he wants, the Canada a significant
> proportion of Canadian voters want, or they wouldn't have
> elected him three times.

Stephen Harper

> 6. 2009. John English's second volume, covering the period from
> the prime minister's rise to power through to his death.
> He tells how for the subject, style was as important as
> substance, and how the controversial public figure intertwined
> with the charismatic private man and committed father, tracing
> his deep friendships, with women especially, and bitter enmities.

Gladstone; Disraeli

> 8. 2008, by Peter C. Newman and subtitled "The Passionate Life and
> Turbulent Times of <subject>, Canada's Media Mogul". The subject
> is described as a visionary and a billionaire at least twice
> over; he ran his empire out of his briefcase... What made
> him so special was his ability to create warm, electric moments
> with his friends and loyalists, while inspiring loathing among
> his critics and enemies.

Conrad Black

> 9. 1998. By Juan Williams, subtitled "American Revolutionary".
> A definitive biography of the great lawyer and Supreme Court
> justice.

Thurgood Marshall

> 10. 2001. David McCullough unfolds the adventurous life-journey of
> the brilliant, fiercely independent, often irascible, always
> honest Yankee patriot... who spared nothing in his zeal for the
> American Revolution, who rose to become President of the United
> States , who was learned beyond all but a few, and regarded by
> some as out of his senses.

John Adams

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Dan Tilque

Dec 22, 2019, 12:25:50 AM12/22/19
On 12/21/19 12:32 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Geography - Bad National Park Reviews
>
> We read you a real one-star review of a US national park and the
> year the park opened, and you tell us what park.
>
> 1. "Don't waste your time!! I have lived in places ranging from
> by the ocean to the desert, and I have to stay this is
> the ugliest place I have ever seen. Most deserts at least
> have some color to them, creating their own special beauty,
> not here. I paid $20 for nothing but nasty rock and salt."
> Park established in 1994, previously a National Monument.

Death Valley

> 2. "SNORE. Sure, sure. If you live in an area devoid of natural
> wonders, your mind will be blown. But here in the Pacific North
> West, where there is no shortage of such things, something
> has to be much more grand than blue water in a big hole."
> Park established in 1902.

Crater Lake

> 3. "Unless you find big caves and rocks overwhelmingly fascinating
> then skip this. A walk along dimly lit paths with rocks and
> pits and pools illuminated, big F-ing deal." Park established
> in 1930.

Carlsbad Caverns

> 4. "The dirt here is of poor quality. The only tree that grows is
> this ugly thing called a lone pine. No flowers to speak of
> grow here. The place is huge and traffic and parking is super
> painful. The last thing is once you see water come out of the
> ground once, you're good." Park established 1872.

Yellowstone

> 5. "When we arrived my comment was 'this is it?' It's basically
> washed out hills of 50,000 year old mud. You have vast
> grasslands on one side, and old mud on the other. And the mud
> wasn't even different colored layers, it was brown. Unless you
> are really into old west history or prehistoric mammals, don't
> go here." Park established 1978, previously a National Monument.

Badlands

> 6. "Scenery is grand and huge and up in the air and distant and
> impersonal. I got bored fast, and the 109 degree heat didn't
> help in the least. East of the tunnel the sandstone scenery is
> much more dramatic, but the turnouts are small and feel dangerous
> if you have young kids. The taco bar is incredibly boring."
> Park established 1919.

Smoky Mountains

> 7. "If you are looking for real adventure, skip it. It is a
> four hour bus ride to Eilsen visitors centre. The bus stops
> way too much. The hiking trails are limited. Two of the trails
> were closed because of bears. According to their records, you
> only have a 35% chance of seeing the mountain, 25 miles away
> from the visitors center in July." Park established in 1917,
> give its current name.

Mount Rainier

> 8. "Beautiful but not a good experience for me. All the campgrounds
> were full and the motel near the Canadian Border too. With
> nowhere to go I parked in a wide pull over spot with no signs and
> was told by a park ranger I had to leave. I will never go back!
> If I do it will be on the Canadian side." Park established 1910.

Glacier

> 9. "Terrible service. There was no safety net. My kids both
> fell in. They didn't even have room service. Way too deep
> in my opinion." Park established 1919.

Grand Canyon

> 10. "Lack luster experience all around. You're better off
> going to Hanging Lake, or just not coming to Colorado at all."
> Park established 1915.

Rocky Mountain

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Literature - Biographies
>
> We give you the year of publication, the author, and a short
> description taken from bookseller websites. For #1-8, you can
> give us *either* the subject of the biography, or its title.
> Subjects do not repeat.
>
> 1. 2015. By Irin Carmon and Shana Knizhnik, subtitled "The Life and
> Times of <subject>". Supreme Court Justice <subject> never asked
> for fame, she was just trying to make the world a little better
> and a little freer. But along the way, the feminist pioneer's
> searing dissents and steely strength have inspired millions.

Ruth Bader Ginsberg

> 2. 2005. Subtitled "A Life of <subject>". Author George Sayer's
> first impression of the subject as interesting proved true, but
> he was more than just that. He was a devout Christian, a gifted
> literary scholar, best-selling author, and brilliant apologist.

CS Lewis

> 3. 1969. By Antonia Fraser. This biography tells of the
> quintessential queen: statuesque, regal, dazzlingly beautiful.
> Her royal birth gave her claim to the thrones of two nations;
> her marriage to the young French dauphin promised to put a third
> glorious crown on her noble head.

Mary, Queen of Scots

> 4. 1973. By Antonia Fraser and subtitled "our chief of men".
> No Englishman has made more impact on the history of his nation
> than the subject; few have been so persistently maligned in
> the folklore of history... freed from the distortions of myth
> and Royalist propaganda, he was of man of contradictions.

Oliver Cromwell

> 5. 2013. Paul Wells' book is a definitive portrait of this prime
> minister while he was in power. No matter the ups and downs,
> the triumphs and the self-inflicted wounds, the subject has been
> moving to build the Canada he wants, the Canada a significant
> proportion of Canadian voters want, or they wouldn't have
> elected him three times.

King

> 6. 2009. John English's second volume, covering the period from
> the prime minister's rise to power through to his death.
> He tells how for the subject, style was as important as
> substance, and how the controversial public figure intertwined
> with the charismatic private man and committed father, tracing
> his deep friendships, with women especially, and bitter enmities.
>
> 7. 2010. Subtitled "the enduring mystery of <subject> and the
> woman who loved him". Roy MacGregor's lifelong fascination with
> the subject led him to write his novel "Canoe Lake", inspired
> by a distant relative's affair with one of Canada's greatest
> painters. Name the subject of this subsequent biography,
> or its title.
>
> 8. 2008, by Peter C. Newman and subtitled "The Passionate Life and
> Turbulent Times of <subject>, Canada's Media Mogul". The subject
> is described as a visionary and a billionaire at least twice
> over; he ran his empire out of his briefcase... What made
> him so special was his ability to create warm, electric moments
> with his friends and loyalists, while inspiring loathing among
> his critics and enemies.

Conrad Black

> For #9-10, the title is the subject's first and last name, and
> that's what you have to give.
>
> 9. 1998. By Juan Williams, subtitled "American Revolutionary".
> A definitive biography of the great lawyer and Supreme Court
> justice.

John Marshall

> 10. 2001. David McCullough unfolds the adventurous life-journey of
> the brilliant, fiercely independent, often irascible, always
> honest Yankee patriot... who spared nothing in his zeal for the
> American Revolution, who rose to become President of the United
> States , who was learned beyond all but a few, and regarded by
> some as out of his senses.

Thomas Jefferson

--
Dan Tilque

Pete Gayde

Dec 22, 2019, 3:03:52 PM12/22/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:u4idnSnB0r3BHGPAnZ2dnUU7-
U_N...@giganews.com:

Crater Lake

> 3. "Unless you find big caves and rocks overwhelmingly fascinating
> then skip this. A walk along dimly lit paths with rocks and
> pits and pools illuminated, big F-ing deal." Park established
> in 1930.

Mammoth Cave

> 4. "The dirt here is of poor quality. The only tree that grows is
> this ugly thing called a lone pine. No flowers to speak of
> grow here. The place is huge and traffic and parking is super
> painful. The last thing is once you see water come out of the
> ground once, you're good." Park established 1872.

Yellowstone

> 5. "When we arrived my comment was 'this is it?' It's basically
> washed out hills of 50,000 year old mud. You have vast
> grasslands on one side, and old mud on the other. And the mud
> wasn't even different colored layers, it was brown. Unless you
> are really into old west history or prehistoric mammals, don't
> go here." Park established 1978, previously a National Monument.

Badlands

> 6. "Scenery is grand and huge and up in the air and distant and
> impersonal. I got bored fast, and the 109 degree heat didn't
> help in the least. East of the tunnel the sandstone scenery is
> much more dramatic, but the turnouts are small and feel dangerous
> if you have young kids. The taco bar is incredibly boring."
> Park established 1919.

Death Valley

> 7. "If you are looking for real adventure, skip it. It is a
> four hour bus ride to Eilsen visitors centre. The bus stops
> way too much. The hiking trails are limited. Two of the trails
> were closed because of bears. According to their records, you
> only have a 35% chance of seeing the mountain, 25 miles away
> from the visitors center in July." Park established in 1917,
> give its current name.

Denali

> 8. "Beautiful but not a good experience for me. All the campgrounds
> were full and the motel near the Canadian Border too. With
> nowhere to go I parked in a wide pull over spot with no signs and
> was told by a park ranger I had to leave. I will never go back!
> If I do it will be on the Canadian side." Park established 1910.

Glacier

> 9. "Terrible service. There was no safety net. My kids both
> fell in. They didn't even have room service. Way too deep
> in my opinion." Park established 1919.

Hot Springs

> 10. "Lack luster experience all around. You're better off
> going to Hanging Lake, or just not coming to Colorado at all."
> Park established 1915.

Rocky Mountain

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Literature - Biographies
>
> We give you the year of publication, the author, and a short
> description taken from bookseller websites. For #1-8, you can
> give us *either* the subject of the biography, or its title.
> Subjects do not repeat.
>
> 1. 2015. By Irin Carmon and Shana Knizhnik, subtitled "The Life and
> Times of <subject>". Supreme Court Justice <subject> never asked
> for fame, she was just trying to make the world a little better
> and a little freer. But along the way, the feminist pioneer's
> searing dissents and steely strength have inspired millions.

Ruth Bader Ginsburg

> 2. 2005. Subtitled "A Life of <subject>". Author George Sayer's
> first impression of the subject as interesting proved true, but
> he was more than just that. He was a devout Christian, a gifted
> literary scholar, best-selling author, and brilliant apologist.
>
> 3. 1969. By Antonia Fraser. This biography tells of the
> quintessential queen: statuesque, regal, dazzlingly beautiful.
> Her royal birth gave her claim to the thrones of two nations;
> her marriage to the young French dauphin promised to put a third
> glorious crown on her noble head.

Marie Antoinette

> 4. 1973. By Antonia Fraser and subtitled "our chief of men".
> No Englishman has made more impact on the history of his nation
> than the subject; few have been so persistently maligned in
> the folklore of history... freed from the distortions of myth
> and Royalist propaganda, he was of man of contradictions.

Winston Churchill; Disraeli

> 5. 2013. Paul Wells' book is a definitive portrait of this prime
> minister while he was in power. No matter the ups and downs,
> the triumphs and the self-inflicted wounds, the subject has been
> moving to build the Canada he wants, the Canada a significant
> proportion of Canadian voters want, or they wouldn't have
> elected him three times.

Justin Trudeau

> 6. 2009. John English's second volume, covering the period from
> the prime minister's rise to power through to his death.
> He tells how for the subject, style was as important as
> substance, and how the controversial public figure intertwined
> with the charismatic private man and committed father, tracing
> his deep friendships, with women especially, and bitter enmities.

Winston Churchill

> 7. 2010. Subtitled "the enduring mystery of <subject> and the
> woman who loved him". Roy MacGregor's lifelong fascination with
> the subject led him to write his novel "Canoe Lake", inspired
> by a distant relative's affair with one of Canada's greatest
> painters. Name the subject of this subsequent biography,
> or its title.
>
> 8. 2008, by Peter C. Newman and subtitled "The Passionate Life and
> Turbulent Times of <subject>, Canada's Media Mogul". The subject
> is described as a visionary and a billionaire at least twice
> over; he ran his empire out of his briefcase... What made
> him so special was his ability to create warm, electric moments
> with his friends and loyalists, while inspiring loathing among
> his critics and enemies.
>
> For #9-10, the title is the subject's first and last name, and
> that's what you have to give.
>
> 9. 1998. By Juan Williams, subtitled "American Revolutionary".
> A definitive biography of the great lawyer and Supreme Court
> justice.

Thurgood Marshall

> 10. 2001. David McCullough unfolds the adventurous life-journey of
> the brilliant, fiercely independent, often irascible, always
> honest Yankee patriot... who spared nothing in his zeal for the
> American Revolution, who rose to become President of the United
> States , who was learned beyond all but a few, and regarded by
> some as out of his senses.

Thomas Jefferson; George Washington

> After completing the route, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh whfg
> nafjrerq "Znel" sbe nal dhrfgvba, lbh arrq gb tb onpx naq fcrpvsl
> juvpu Znel lbh zrnag.

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Dec 25, 2019, 1:11:01 AM12/25/19
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-10-28,
> see my 2019-10-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Geography - Bad National Park Reviews

> We read you a real one-star review of a US national park and the
> year the park opened, and you tell us what park.

> 1. "Don't waste your time!! I have lived in places ranging from
> by the ocean to the desert, and I have to stay this is
> the ugliest place I have ever seen. Most deserts at least
> have some color to them, creating their own special beauty,
> not here. I paid $20 for nothing but nasty rock and salt."
> Park established in 1994, previously a National Monument.

Death Valley. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> 2. "SNORE. Sure, sure. If you live in an area devoid of natural
> wonders, your mind will be blown. But here in the Pacific North
> West, where there is no shortage of such things, something
> has to be much more grand than blue water in a big hole."
> Park established in 1902.

Crater Lake. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 3. "Unless you find big caves and rocks overwhelmingly fascinating
> then skip this. A walk along dimly lit paths with rocks and
> pits and pools illuminated, big F-ing deal." Park established
> in 1930.

Carlsbad Caverns. 4 for Dan Tilque. 2 for Joshua.

> 4. "The dirt here is of poor quality. The only tree that grows is
> this ugly thing called a lone pine. No flowers to speak of
> grow here. The place is huge and traffic and parking is super
> painful. The last thing is once you see water come out of the
> ground once, you're good." Park established 1872.

Yellowstone. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 5. "When we arrived my comment was 'this is it?' It's basically
> washed out hills of 50,000 year old mud. You have vast
> grasslands on one side, and old mud on the other. And the mud
> wasn't even different colored layers, it was brown. Unless you
> are really into old west history or prehistoric mammals, don't
> go here." Park established 1978, previously a National Monument.

Badlands. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 6. "Scenery is grand and huge and up in the air and distant and
> impersonal. I got bored fast, and the 109 degree heat didn't
> help in the least. East of the tunnel the sandstone scenery is
> much more dramatic, but the turnouts are small and feel dangerous
> if you have young kids. The taco bar is incredibly boring."
> Park established 1919.

Zion.

> 7. "If you are looking for real adventure, skip it. It is a
> four hour bus ride to Eilsen visitors centre. The bus stops
> way too much. The hiking trails are limited. Two of the trails
> were closed because of bears. According to their records, you
> only have a 35% chance of seeing the mountain, 25 miles away
> from the visitors center in July." Park established in 1917,
> give its current name.

Denali. 4 for Dan Blum and Pete.

> 8. "Beautiful but not a good experience for me. All the campgrounds
> were full and the motel near the Canadian Border too. With
> nowhere to go I parked in a wide pull over spot with no signs and
> was told by a park ranger I had to leave. I will never go back!
> If I do it will be on the Canadian side." Park established 1910.

Glacier. 4 for Dan Tilque and Pete.

> 9. "Terrible service. There was no safety net. My kids both
> fell in. They didn't even have room service. Way too deep
> in my opinion." Park established 1919.

Grand Canyon. 4 for Dan Tilque. 2 for Joshua.

> 10. "Lack luster experience all around. You're better off
> going to Hanging Lake, or just not coming to Colorado at all."
> Park established 1915.

Rocky Mountain. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Literature - Biographies

> We give you the year of publication, the author, and a short
> description taken from bookseller websites. For #1-8, you can
> give us *either* the subject of the biography, or its title.
> Subjects do not repeat.

> 1. 2015. By Irin Carmon and Shana Knizhnik, subtitled "The Life and
> Times of <subject>". Supreme Court Justice <subject> never asked
> for fame, she was just trying to make the world a little better
> and a little freer. But along the way, the feminist pioneer's
> searing dissents and steely strength have inspired millions.

Ruth Bader Ginsberg, "Notorious RBG". 4 for Erland, Dan Blum,
Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 2. 2005. Subtitled "A Life of <subject>". Author George Sayer's
> first impression of the subject as interesting proved true, but
> he was more than just that. He was a devout Christian, a gifted
> literary scholar, best-selling author, and brilliant apologist.

C.S. Lewis, "Jack". 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.

> 3. 1969. By Antonia Fraser. This biography tells of the
> quintessential queen: statuesque, regal, dazzlingly beautiful.
> Her royal birth gave her claim to the thrones of two nations;
> her marriage to the young French dauphin promised to put a third
> glorious crown on her noble head.

Mary Stuart, "Mary Queen of Scots". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum,
and Dan Tilque.

> 4. 1973. By Antonia Fraser and subtitled "our chief of men".
> No Englishman has made more impact on the history of his nation
> than the subject; few have been so persistently maligned in
> the folklore of history... freed from the distortions of myth
> and Royalist propaganda, he was of man of contradictions.

Oliver Cromwell, "Cromwell". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 5. 2013. Paul Wells' book is a definitive portrait of this prime
> minister while he was in power. No matter the ups and downs,
> the triumphs and the self-inflicted wounds, the subject has been
> moving to build the Canada he wants, the Canada a significant
> proportion of Canadian voters want, or they wouldn't have
> elected him three times.

Stephen Harper, "The Longer I'm Prime Minister". 4 for Dan Blum.

> 6. 2009. John English's second volume, covering the period from
> the prime minister's rise to power through to his death.
> He tells how for the subject, style was as important as
> substance, and how the controversial public figure intertwined
> with the charismatic private man and committed father, tracing
> his deep friendships, with women especially, and bitter enmities.

Pierre Elliott Trudeau, "Just Watch Me".

> 7. 2010. Subtitled "the enduring mystery of <subject> and the
> woman who loved him". Roy MacGregor's lifelong fascination with
> the subject led him to write his novel "Canoe Lake", inspired
> by a distant relative's affair with one of Canada's greatest
> painters. Name the subject of this subsequent biography,
> or its title.

Tom Thomson, "Northern Light".

> 8. 2008, by Peter C. Newman and subtitled "The Passionate Life and
> Turbulent Times of <subject>, Canada's Media Mogul". The subject
> is described as a visionary and a billionaire at least twice
> over; he ran his empire out of his briefcase... What made
> him so special was his ability to create warm, electric moments
> with his friends and loyalists, while inspiring loathing among
> his critics and enemies.

Izzy Asper, "Izzy".

> For #9-10, the title is the subject's first and last name, and
> that's what you have to give.

> 9. 1998. By Juan Williams, subtitled "American Revolutionary".
> A definitive biography of the great lawyer and Supreme Court
> justice.

Thurgood Marshall. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 10. 2001. David McCullough unfolds the adventurous life-journey of
> the brilliant, fiercely independent, often irascible, always
> honest Yankee patriot... who spared nothing in his zeal for the
> American Revolution, who rose to become President of the United
> States , who was learned beyond all but a few, and regarded by
> some as out of his senses.

John Adams. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 6 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Geo Ent Geo Lit
Joshua Kreitzer 24 24 20 20 88
Dan Tilque 27 0 32 16 75
Dan Blum 24 8 16 24 72
Pete Gayde 18 8 24 8 58
Bruce Bowler 38 0 -- -- 38
Erland Sommarskog 26 0 0 4 30

--
Mark Brader "Thus the metric system did not really catch on
Toronto in the States, unless you count the increasing