QFTCI5EP Game 4, Rounds 4,6: inventions, animal lit

Mark Brader

Jun 3, 2017, 11:15:48 PM6/3/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-02-06,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 4, Round 4 - Science - High-Tech Inventions and Innovations

The pace of high technology seems to get faster and faster each
year. Here, we bring you some trivia and past highlights of
high tech.

1. Born in 1791, this English mathematician, inventor, and engineer
died in 1871. He is often referred to as the "Father of the
Computer", as he is credited with inventing the first mechanical
computer and envisioning the forerunner of the modern computer
and its capabilities. Who is he?

2. This English mathematician and associate of <answer 1> was
born in 1815 and died in 1852. For <answer 1>'s digital-computer
prototype, she created a program that many feel earned her the
distinction of the world's first computer programmer. Name her.

3. For many, a world without the Internet is practically
inconceivable. But, of course, it hasn't always been with us.
Its predecessor, in the late 1960s, was a computer network
developed by the US military and computer researchers that
initially linked a few American universities with one another.
What was it called?

4. What major video game company originally made playing cards
and was founded in 1889?

5. There is only one US state whose name can be typed on *one row*
of a traditional English QWERTY keyboard. Without looking at
your keyboard, which state is it?

6. In the 1930s a keyboard was created that many feel is superior
to the standard QWERTY keyboard. It was named after its
American creator. What is it called?

7. The first actual smartphone was produced in 1992, long before
the iPhone. It was called the Simon Personal Communicator and
was developed by what company?

8. When the predecessor to Facebook was developed in 2003 by Mark
Zuckerberg and three fellow Harvard University students, it
had another name. What was it called?

9. On 1968-12-09, at a computer conference in San Francisco,
Douglas Engelbart made a presentation that essentially was
the first to showcase almost all of the fundamental elements
of modern personal computing in a single system, including
the mouse. Years later this presentation was dubbed what?

10. In 1979 this company became the first to offer electronic mail
capabilities and technical support to personal computer users.
Name it.

* Game 4, Round 6 - Literature - Animals' Stories

This round is on novels that are narrated from the point of view of
an animal. From the year published and some facts, name the book.

1. 1970: Written by Richard Bach, this bestselling "new thought"
novel explores the spiritual growth of a bird.

2. 2010: This novel relates one dog's journey and multiple
reincarnations. A movie adaption is currently in theatres.

3. 1903: This adventure/survival novel is primarily set in the
Yukon and was first serialized in the "Saturday Evening Post".

4. 1952: This classic young-adult book tells the story of a special
pig and his best friend.

5. 2015: This Canadian novel involves a group of Toronto animals
who are affected by a bet between Hermes and Apollo.

6. 1877: Another young adult classic, this horse tale by Anna
Sewell is one of the bestselling books of all time.

7. 1977: This Richard Adams novel tells the tale of two escapees
from the research station ARSE (Animal Research, Science and
Experimental).

8. 1982: This children's novel follows the experiences of Joey
during World War I, and inspired a play and an Oscar-nominated
movie released in 2011.

9. 2012: "The Art of Purring" is the sequel to this book, which has
a feline introduce the fundamentals of Buddhism while telling
her story. Name the first book in the series written by
David Michie.

10. 2008: This novel by Garth Stein spent 156 weeks on the New
York Times bestseller list. Enzo narrates this story of his
racecar-driver owner and his preparations to become human in
the next life.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Astronauts practice landing on laptops"
m...@vex.net | --Ft. Myers, FL, News-Press, March 13, 1994

Joshua Kreitzer

Jun 4, 2017, 12:28:32 AM6/4/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:HZ6dnQmOj9PC5q7EnZ2dnUU7-
ffN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 4, Round 4 - Science - High-Tech Inventions and Innovations
>
> The pace of high technology seems to get faster and faster each
> year. Here, we bring you some trivia and past highlights of
> high tech.
>
> 1. Born in 1791, this English mathematician, inventor, and engineer
> died in 1871. He is often referred to as the "Father of the
> Computer", as he is credited with inventing the first mechanical
> computer and envisioning the forerunner of the modern computer
> and its capabilities. Who is he?

Babbage

> 2. This English mathematician and associate of <answer 1> was
> born in 1815 and died in 1852. For <answer 1>'s digital-computer
> prototype, she created a program that many feel earned her the
> distinction of the world's first computer programmer. Name her.

Ada Lovelace

> 3. For many, a world without the Internet is practically
> inconceivable. But, of course, it hasn't always been with us.
> Its predecessor, in the late 1960s, was a computer network
> developed by the US military and computer researchers that
> initially linked a few American universities with one another.
> What was it called?

Arpanet

> 4. What major video game company originally made playing cards
> and was founded in 1889?

Nintendo

> 5. There is only one US state whose name can be typed on *one row*
> of a traditional English QWERTY keyboard. Without looking at
> your keyboard, which state is it?

Alaaka

> 6. In the 1930s a keyboard was created that many feel is superior
> to the standard QWERTY keyboard. It was named after its
> American creator. What is it called?

Dvorak

> 8. When the predecessor to Facebook was developed in 2003 by Mark
> Zuckerberg and three fellow Harvard University students, it
> had another name. What was it called?

The Facebook

> * Game 4, Round 6 - Literature - Animals' Stories
>
> This round is on novels that are narrated from the point of view of
> an animal. From the year published and some facts, name the book.
>
> 1. 1970: Written by Richard Bach, this bestselling "new thought"
> novel explores the spiritual growth of a bird.

"Jonathan Livingston Seagull"

> 2. 2010: This novel relates one dog's journey and multiple
> reincarnations. A movie adaption is currently in theatres.

"A Dog's Purpose"

> 3. 1903: This adventure/survival novel is primarily set in the
> Yukon and was first serialized in the "Saturday Evening Post".

"Call of the Wild"

> 4. 1952: This classic young-adult book tells the story of a special
> pig and his best friend.

"Charlotte's Web"

> 6. 1877: Another young adult classic, this horse tale by Anna
> Sewell is one of the bestselling books of all time.

"Black Beauty"

> 7. 1977: This Richard Adams novel tells the tale of two escapees
> from the research station ARSE (Animal Research, Science and
> Experimental).

"The Plague Dogs"

> 8. 1982: This children's novel follows the experiences of Joey
> during World War I, and inspired a play and an Oscar-nominated
> movie released in 2011.

"War Horse"

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Peter Smyth

Jun 4, 2017, 3:17:38 AM6/4/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-02-06,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 4, Round 4 - Science - High-Tech Inventions and Innovations
>
> The pace of high technology seems to get faster and faster each
> year. Here, we bring you some trivia and past highlights of
> high tech.
>
> 1. Born in 1791, this English mathematician, inventor, and engineer
> died in 1871. He is often referred to as the "Father of the
> Computer", as he is credited with inventing the first mechanical
> computer and envisioning the forerunner of the modern computer
> and its capabilities. Who is he?
Babbage
> 2. This English mathematician and associate of <answer 1> was
> born in 1815 and died in 1852. For <answer 1>'s digital-computer
> prototype, she created a program that many feel earned her the
> distinction of the world's first computer programmer. Name her.
Ada Lovelace
> 3. For many, a world without the Internet is practically
> inconceivable. But, of course, it hasn't always been with us.
> Its predecessor, in the late 1960s, was a computer network
> developed by the US military and computer researchers that
> initially linked a few American universities with one another.
> What was it called?
>
> 4. What major video game company originally made playing cards
> and was founded in 1889?
Nintendo
> 5. There is only one US state whose name can be typed on *one row*
> of a traditional English QWERTY keyboard. Without looking at
> your keyboard, which state is it?
Alaska
> 6. In the 1930s a keyboard was created that many feel is superior
> to the standard QWERTY keyboard. It was named after its
> American creator. What is it called?
Dvorak
> 7. The first actual smartphone was produced in 1992, long before
> the iPhone. It was called the Simon Personal Communicator and
> was developed by what company?
IBM
> 8. When the predecessor to Facebook was developed in 2003 by Mark
> Zuckerberg and three fellow Harvard University students, it
> had another name. What was it called?
>
> 9. On 1968-12-09, at a computer conference in San Francisco,
> Douglas Engelbart made a presentation that essentially was
> the first to showcase almost all of the fundamental elements
> of modern personal computing in a single system, including
> the mouse. Years later this presentation was dubbed what?
>
> 10. In 1979 this company became the first to offer electronic mail
> capabilities and technical support to personal computer users.
> Name it.
AOL

> * Game 4, Round 6 - Literature - Animals' Stories
>
> This round is on novels that are narrated from the point of view of
> an animal. From the year published and some facts, name the book.
>
> 1. 1970: Written by Richard Bach, this bestselling "new thought"
> novel explores the spiritual growth of a bird.
>
> 2. 2010: This novel relates one dog's journey and multiple
> reincarnations. A movie adaption is currently in theatres.
>
> 3. 1903: This adventure/survival novel is primarily set in the
> Yukon and was first serialized in the "Saturday Evening Post".
Call of the Wild
> 4. 1952: This classic young-adult book tells the story of a special
> pig and his best friend.
Babe
> 5. 2015: This Canadian novel involves a group of Toronto animals
> who are affected by a bet between Hermes and Apollo.
>
> 6. 1877: Another young adult classic, this horse tale by Anna
> Sewell is one of the bestselling books of all time.
Black Beauty
> 7. 1977: This Richard Adams novel tells the tale of two escapees
> from the research station ARSE (Animal Research, Science and
> Experimental).
Watership Down
> 8. 1982: This children's novel follows the experiences of Joey
> during World War I, and inspired a play and an Oscar-nominated
> movie released in 2011.
>
> 9. 2012: "The Art of Purring" is the sequel to this book, which has
> a feline introduce the fundamentals of Buddhism while telling
> her story. Name the first book in the series written by
> David Michie.
>
> 10. 2008: This novel by Garth Stein spent 156 weeks on the New
> York Times bestseller list. Enzo narrates this story of his
> racecar-driver owner and his preparations to become human in
> the next life.

Peter Smyth

Erland Sommarskog

Jun 4, 2017, 5:11:05 AM6/4/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 1. Born in 1791, this English mathematician, inventor, and engineer
> died in 1871. He is often referred to as the "Father of the
> Computer", as he is credited with inventing the first mechanical
> computer and envisioning the forerunner of the modern computer
> and its capabilities. Who is he?

Charles Babbage

> 2. This English mathematician and associate of <answer 1> was
> born in 1815 and died in 1852. For <answer 1>'s digital-computer
> prototype, she created a program that many feel earned her the
> distinction of the world's first computer programmer. Name her.

Ada Lovelace

> 3. For many, a world without the Internet is practically
> inconceivable. But, of course, it hasn't always been with us.
> Its predecessor, in the late 1960s, was a computer network
> developed by the US military and computer researchers that
> initially linked a few American universities with one another.
> What was it called?

ARPA

> 4. What major video game company originally made playing cards
> and was founded in 1889?

Nintendo

> 5. There is only one US state whose name can be typed on *one row*
> of a traditional English QWERTY keyboard. Without looking at
> your keyboard, which state is it?

Alaska

> 6. In the 1930s a keyboard was created that many feel is superior
> to the standard QWERTY keyboard. It was named after its
> American creator. What is it called?

Dvorak

> 7. The first actual smartphone was produced in 1992, long before
> the iPhone. It was called the Simon Personal Communicator and
> was developed by what company?

Motorola

> 9. On 1968-12-09, at a computer conference in San Francisco,
> Douglas Engelbart made a presentation that essentially was
> the first to showcase almost all of the fundamental elements
> of modern personal computing in a single system, including
> the mouse. Years later this presentation was dubbed what?

Mother of all Presentations

> 10. In 1979 this company became the first to offer electronic mail
> capabilities and technical support to personal computer users.
> Name it.

Lotus

Dan Tilque

Jun 4, 2017, 5:36:55 AM6/4/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 4 - Science - High-Tech Inventions and Innovations
>
> The pace of high technology seems to get faster and faster each
> year. Here, we bring you some trivia and past highlights of
> high tech.
>
> 1. Born in 1791, this English mathematician, inventor, and engineer
> died in 1871. He is often referred to as the "Father of the
> Computer", as he is credited with inventing the first mechanical
> computer and envisioning the forerunner of the modern computer
> and its capabilities. Who is he?

Charles Babbage

> 2. This English mathematician and associate of <answer 1> was
> born in 1815 and died in 1852. For <answer 1>'s digital-computer
> prototype, she created a program that many feel earned her the
> distinction of the world's first computer programmer. Name her.

Ada Lovelace

> 3. For many, a world without the Internet is practically
> inconceivable. But, of course, it hasn't always been with us.
> Its predecessor, in the late 1960s, was a computer network
> developed by the US military and computer researchers that
> initially linked a few American universities with one another.
> What was it called?

ARPANET

> 4. What major video game company originally made playing cards
> and was founded in 1889?
>
> 5. There is only one US state whose name can be typed on *one row*
> of a traditional English QWERTY keyboard. Without looking at
> your keyboard, which state is it?

Alaska

> 6. In the 1930s a keyboard was created that many feel is superior
> to the standard QWERTY keyboard. It was named after its
> American creator. What is it called?

Dvorak

> 7. The first actual smartphone was produced in 1992, long before
> the iPhone. It was called the Simon Personal Communicator and
> was developed by what company?
>
> 8. When the predecessor to Facebook was developed in 2003 by Mark
> Zuckerberg and three fellow Harvard University students, it
> had another name. What was it called?
>
> 9. On 1968-12-09, at a computer conference in San Francisco,
> Douglas Engelbart made a presentation that essentially was
> the first to showcase almost all of the fundamental elements
> of modern personal computing in a single system, including
> the mouse. Years later this presentation was dubbed what?
>
> 10. In 1979 this company became the first to offer electronic mail
> capabilities and technical support to personal computer users.
> Name it.

AT&T

> * Game 4, Round 6 - Literature - Animals' Stories
>
> This round is on novels that are narrated from the point of view of
> an animal. From the year published and some facts, name the book.
>
> 1. 1970: Written by Richard Bach, this bestselling "new thought"
> novel explores the spiritual growth of a bird.

Jonathan Livingston Seagull

> 2. 2010: This novel relates one dog's journey and multiple
> reincarnations. A movie adaption is currently in theatres.
>
> 3. 1903: This adventure/survival novel is primarily set in the
> Yukon and was first serialized in the "Saturday Evening Post".

Call of the Wild

> 4. 1952: This classic young-adult book tells the story of a special
> pig and his best friend.

Charlotte's Web

--
Dan Tilque

Gareth Owen

Jun 4, 2017, 7:40:13 AM6/4/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> 1. Born in 1791, this English mathematician, inventor, and engineer
> died in 1871. He is often referred to as the "Father of the
> Computer", as he is credited with inventing the first mechanical
> computer and envisioning the forerunner of the modern computer
> and its capabilities. Who is he?

Babbage

> 2. This English mathematician and associate of <answer 1> was
> born in 1815 and died in 1852. For <answer 1>'s digital-computer
> prototype, she created a program that many feel earned her the
> distinction of the world's first computer programmer. Name her.

Lovelace

> 3. For many, a world without the Internet is practically
> inconceivable. But, of course, it hasn't always been with us.
> Its predecessor, in the late 1960s, was a computer network
> developed by the US military and computer researchers that
> initially linked a few American universities with one another.
> What was it called?

ARPANet

> 4. What major video game company originally made playing cards
> and was founded in 1889?

Konami, Atari

> 5. There is only one US state whose name can be typed on *one row*
> of a traditional English QWERTY keyboard. Without looking at
> your keyboard, which state is it?

> 6. In the 1930s a keyboard was created that many feel is superior
> to the standard QWERTY keyboard. It was named after its
> American creator. What is it called?

Dvorak

> 7. The first actual smartphone was produced in 1992, long before
> the iPhone. It was called the Simon Personal Communicator and
> was developed by what company?

Psion

> 8. When the predecessor to Facebook was developed in 2003 by Mark
> Zuckerberg and three fellow Harvard University students, it
> had another name. What was it called?

Harvard Connect

> 9. On 1968-12-09, at a computer conference in San Francisco,
> Douglas Engelbart made a presentation that essentially was
> the first to showcase almost all of the fundamental elements
> of modern personal computing in a single system, including
> the mouse. Years later this presentation was dubbed what?

The Mother Of All Demos

> 10. In 1979 this company became the first to offer electronic mail
> capabilities and technical support to personal computer users.
> Name it.

AOL,

> * Game 4, Round 6 - Literature - Animals' Stories
>
> This round is on novels that are narrated from the point of view of
> an animal. From the year published and some facts, name the book.
>
> 1. 1970: Written by Richard Bach, this bestselling "new thought"
> novel explores the spiritual growth of a bird.

Johnathon Livingstone Seagull

> 2. 2010: This novel relates one dog's journey and multiple
> reincarnations. A movie adaption is currently in theatres.

A Dog's Purpose

> 3. 1903: This adventure/survival novel is primarily set in the
> Yukon and was first serialized in the "Saturday Evening Post".

White Fang?

> 4. 1952: This classic young-adult book tells the story of a special
> pig and his best friend.

Charlotte's Web

> 5. 2015: This Canadian novel involves a group of Toronto animals
> who are affected by a bet between Hermes and Apollo.
>
> 6. 1877: Another young adult classic, this horse tale by Anna
> Sewell is one of the bestselling books of all time.

Black Beauty

> 7. 1977: This Richard Adams novel tells the tale of two escapees
> from the research station ARSE (Animal Research, Science and
> Experimental).

Shardik

> 8. 1982: This children's novel follows the experiences of Joey
> during World War I, and inspired a play and an Oscar-nominated
> movie released in 2011.

War Horse

Dan Blum

Jun 4, 2017, 9:05:10 AM6/4/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 4 - Science - High-Tech Inventions and Innovations

> 1. Born in 1791, this English mathematician, inventor, and engineer
> died in 1871. He is often referred to as the "Father of the
> Computer", as he is credited with inventing the first mechanical
> computer and envisioning the forerunner of the modern computer
> and its capabilities. Who is he?

Babbage

> 2. This English mathematician and associate of <answer 1> was
> born in 1815 and died in 1852. For <answer 1>'s digital-computer
> prototype, she created a program that many feel earned her the
> distinction of the world's first computer programmer. Name her.

Lovelace

> 3. For many, a world without the Internet is practically
> inconceivable. But, of course, it hasn't always been with us.
> Its predecessor, in the late 1960s, was a computer network
> developed by the US military and computer researchers that
> initially linked a few American universities with one another.
> What was it called?

Arpanet

> 4. What major video game company originally made playing cards
> and was founded in 1889?

Nintendo

> 5. There is only one US state whose name can be typed on *one row*
> of a traditional English QWERTY keyboard. Without looking at
> your keyboard, which state is it?

Alaska

> 6. In the 1930s a keyboard was created that many feel is superior
> to the standard QWERTY keyboard. It was named after its
> American creator. What is it called?

Dvorak

> 7. The first actual smartphone was produced in 1992, long before
> the iPhone. It was called the Simon Personal Communicator and
> was developed by what company?

Motorola; NEC

> 9. On 1968-12-09, at a computer conference in San Francisco,
> Douglas Engelbart made a presentation that essentially was
> the first to showcase almost all of the fundamental elements
> of modern personal computing in a single system, including
> the mouse. Years later this presentation was dubbed what?

The Mother of all Demos

> 10. In 1979 this company became the first to offer electronic mail
> capabilities and technical support to personal computer users.
> Name it.

Compuserve

> * Game 4, Round 6 - Literature - Animals' Stories

> 1. 1970: Written by Richard Bach, this bestselling "new thought"
> novel explores the spiritual growth of a bird.

Jonathan Livingston Seagull

> 4. 1952: This classic young-adult book tells the story of a special
> pig and his best friend.

Charlotte's Web

> 6. 1877: Another young adult classic, this horse tale by Anna
> Sewell is one of the bestselling books of all time.

Black Beauty

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Jason Kreitzer

Jun 4, 2017, 7:44:26 PM6/4/17
Usenet
> 4. What major video game company originally made playing cards
> and was founded in 1889?
>
> 5. There is only one US state whose name can be typed on *one row*
> of a traditional English QWERTY keyboard. Without looking at
> your keyboard, which state is it?
Utah
> 6. In the 1930s a keyboard was created that many feel is superior
> to the standard QWERTY keyboard. It was named after its
> American creator. What is it called?
>
> 7. The first actual smartphone was produced in 1992, long before
> the iPhone. It was called the Simon Personal Communicator and
> was developed by what company?
>
> 8. When the predecessor to Facebook was developed in 2003 by Mark
> Zuckerberg and three fellow Harvard University students, it
> had another name. What was it called?
>
> 9. On 1968-12-09, at a computer conference in San Francisco,
> Douglas Engelbart made a presentation that essentially was
> the first to showcase almost all of the fundamental elements
> of modern personal computing in a single system, including
> the mouse. Years later this presentation was dubbed what?
>
> 10. In 1979 this company became the first to offer electronic mail
> capabilities and technical support to personal computer users.
> Name it.
>

> * Game 4, Round 6 - Literature - Animals' Stories
>
> This round is on novels that are narrated from the point of view of
> an animal. From the year published and some facts, name the book.
>
> 1. 1970: Written by Richard Bach, this bestselling "new thought"
> novel explores the spiritual growth of a bird.
"Jonathan Livingston Seagull"
> 2. 2010: This novel relates one dog's journey and multiple
> reincarnations. A movie adaption is currently in theatres.
>
> 3. 1903: This adventure/survival novel is primarily set in the
> Yukon and was first serialized in the "Saturday Evening Post".
"Call of the Wild"
> 4. 1952: This classic young-adult book tells the story of a special
> pig and his best friend.
"Charlotte's Web"
> 5. 2015: This Canadian novel involves a group of Toronto animals
> who are affected by a bet between Hermes and Apollo.
>
> 6. 1877: Another young adult classic, this horse tale by Anna
> Sewell is one of the bestselling books of all time.
"Black Beauty"?

Calvin

Jun 4, 2017, 8:24:33 PM6/4/17
On Sunday, June 4, 2017 at 1:15:48 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 4 - Science - High-Tech Inventions and Innovations
>
> The pace of high technology seems to get faster and faster each
> year. Here, we bring you some trivia and past highlights of
> high tech.
>
> 1. Born in 1791, this English mathematician, inventor, and engineer
> died in 1871. He is often referred to as the "Father of the
> Computer", as he is credited with inventing the first mechanical
> computer and envisioning the forerunner of the modern computer
> and its capabilities. Who is he?

Babbage

> 2. This English mathematician and associate of <answer 1> was
> born in 1815 and died in 1852. For <answer 1>'s digital-computer
> prototype, she created a program that many feel earned her the
> distinction of the world's first computer programmer. Name her.

Lovelace

> 3. For many, a world without the Internet is practically
> inconceivable. But, of course, it hasn't always been with us.
> Its predecessor, in the late 1960s, was a computer network
> developed by the US military and computer researchers that
> initially linked a few American universities with one another.
> What was it called?

Arpanet

> 4. What major video game company originally made playing cards
> and was founded in 1889?

Nintendo, Sega

> 5. There is only one US state whose name can be typed on *one row*
> of a traditional English QWERTY keyboard. Without looking at
> your keyboard, which state is it?
>
> 6. In the 1930s a keyboard was created that many feel is superior
> to the standard QWERTY keyboard. It was named after its
> American creator. What is it called?
>
> 7. The first actual smartphone was produced in 1992, long before
> the iPhone. It was called the Simon Personal Communicator and
> was developed by what company?

Blackberry, Nokia

> 8. When the predecessor to Facebook was developed in 2003 by Mark
> Zuckerberg and three fellow Harvard University students, it
> had another name. What was it called?

The Facebook

> 9. On 1968-12-09, at a computer conference in San Francisco,
> Douglas Engelbart made a presentation that essentially was
> the first to showcase almost all of the fundamental elements
> of modern personal computing in a single system, including
> the mouse. Years later this presentation was dubbed what?

The Big Click?

> 10. In 1979 this company became the first to offer electronic mail
> capabilities and technical support to personal computer users.
> Name it.

Wang

> * Game 4, Round 6 - Literature - Animals' Stories
>
> This round is on novels that are narrated from the point of view of
> an animal. From the year published and some facts, name the book.
>
> 1. 1970: Written by Richard Bach, this bestselling "new thought"
> novel explores the spiritual growth of a bird.
>
> 2. 2010: This novel relates one dog's journey and multiple
> reincarnations. A movie adaption is currently in theatres.
>
> 3. 1903: This adventure/survival novel is primarily set in the
> Yukon and was first serialized in the "Saturday Evening Post".

Call of the Wild

> 4. 1952: This classic young-adult book tells the story of a special
> pig and his best friend.

Charlotte's Web

> 5. 2015: This Canadian novel involves a group of Toronto animals
> who are affected by a bet between Hermes and Apollo.
>
> 6. 1877: Another young adult classic, this horse tale by Anna
> Sewell is one of the bestselling books of all time.

Black Beauty

> 7. 1977: This Richard Adams novel tells the tale of two escapees
> from the research station ARSE (Animal Research, Science and
> Experimental).

Watership Down

> 8. 1982: This children's novel follows the experiences of Joey
> during World War I, and inspired a play and an Oscar-nominated
> movie released in 2011.

Warhorse?

> 9. 2012: "The Art of Purring" is the sequel to this book, which has
> a feline introduce the fundamentals of Buddhism while telling
> her story. Name the first book in the series written by
> David Michie.
>
> 10. 2008: This novel by Garth Stein spent 156 weeks on the New
> York Times bestseller list. Enzo narrates this story of his
> racecar-driver owner and his preparations to become human in
> the next life.

Cars?

cheers,
calvin

Marc Dashevsky

Jun 5, 2017, 10:11:19 AM6/5/17
In article <HZ6dnQmOj9PC5q7E...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 4, Round 4 - Science - High-Tech Inventions and Innovations
>
> The pace of high technology seems to get faster and faster each
> year. Here, we bring you some trivia and past highlights of
> high tech.
>
> 1. Born in 1791, this English mathematician, inventor, and engineer
> died in 1871. He is often referred to as the "Father of the
> Computer", as he is credited with inventing the first mechanical
> computer and envisioning the forerunner of the modern computer
> and its capabilities. Who is he?
Charles Babbage

> 2. This English mathematician and associate of <answer 1> was
> born in 1815 and died in 1852. For <answer 1>'s digital-computer
> prototype, she created a program that many feel earned her the
> distinction of the world's first computer programmer. Name her.
Ada Lovelace

> 3. For many, a world without the Internet is practically
> inconceivable. But, of course, it hasn't always been with us.
> Its predecessor, in the late 1960s, was a computer network
> developed by the US military and computer researchers that
> initially linked a few American universities with one another.
> What was it called?
ARPAnet

> 4. What major video game company originally made playing cards
> and was founded in 1889?
Coleco

> 5. There is only one US state whose name can be typed on *one row*
> of a traditional English QWERTY keyboard. Without looking at
> your keyboard, which state is it?
Alaska

> 6. In the 1930s a keyboard was created that many feel is superior
> to the standard QWERTY keyboard. It was named after its
> American creator. What is it called?
Dvorak keyboard

> 7. The first actual smartphone was produced in 1992, long before
> the iPhone. It was called the Simon Personal Communicator and
> was developed by what company?
Motorola

> 8. When the predecessor to Facebook was developed in 2003 by Mark
> Zuckerberg and three fellow Harvard University students, it
> had another name. What was it called?
Classbook

> 9. On 1968-12-09, at a computer conference in San Francisco,
> Douglas Engelbart made a presentation that essentially was
> the first to showcase almost all of the fundamental elements
> of modern personal computing in a single system, including
> the mouse. Years later this presentation was dubbed what?
Birth of the Mac

> 10. In 1979 this company became the first to offer electronic mail
> capabilities and technical support to personal computer users.
> Name it.
Compuserve

> * Game 4, Round 6 - Literature - Animals' Stories
>
> This round is on novels that are narrated from the point of view of
> an animal. From the year published and some facts, name the book.
>
> 1. 1970: Written by Richard Bach, this bestselling "new thought"
> novel explores the spiritual growth of a bird.
Jonathan Livingston Seagull

> 2. 2010: This novel relates one dog's journey and multiple
> reincarnations. A movie adaption is currently in theatres.
>
> 3. 1903: This adventure/survival novel is primarily set in the
> Yukon and was first serialized in the "Saturday Evening Post".
Call of the Wild

> 4. 1952: This classic young-adult book tells the story of a special
> pig and his best friend.
Charlotte's Web

> 5. 2015: This Canadian novel involves a group of Toronto animals
> who are affected by a bet between Hermes and Apollo.
>
> 6. 1877: Another young adult classic, this horse tale by Anna
> Sewell is one of the bestselling books of all time.
Black Beauty

> 7. 1977: This Richard Adams novel tells the tale of two escapees
> from the research station ARSE (Animal Research, Science and
> Experimental).
>
> 8. 1982: This children's novel follows the experiences of Joey
> during World War I, and inspired a play and an Oscar-nominated
> movie released in 2011.
>
> 9. 2012: "The Art of Purring" is the sequel to this book, which has
> a feline introduce the fundamentals of Buddhism while telling
> her story. Name the first book in the series written by
> David Michie.
>
> 10. 2008: This novel by Garth Stein spent 156 weeks on the New
> York Times bestseller list. Enzo narrates this story of his
> racecar-driver owner and his preparations to become human in
> the next life.

Bruce

Jun 5, 2017, 11:26:00 AM6/5/17
On Sat, 03 Jun 2017 22:15:43 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-02-06, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> based only on your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the
> questions and place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are used here
> by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2016-11-26
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 4, Round 4 - Science - High-Tech Inventions and Innovations
>
> The pace of high technology seems to get faster and faster each year.
> Here, we bring you some trivia and past highlights of high tech.
>
> 1. Born in 1791, this English mathematician, inventor, and engineer
> died in 1871. He is often referred to as the "Father of the
> Computer", as he is credited with inventing the first mechanical
> computer and envisioning the forerunner of the modern computer and
> its capabilities. Who is he?

Babbage

> 2. This English mathematician and associate of <answer 1> was
> born in 1815 and died in 1852. For <answer 1>'s digital-computer
> prototype, she created a program that many feel earned her the
> distinction of the world's first computer programmer. Name her.

Ada Lovelace

> 3. For many, a world without the Internet is practically
> inconceivable. But, of course, it hasn't always been with us. Its
> predecessor, in the late 1960s, was a computer network developed by
> the US military and computer researchers that initially linked a few
> American universities with one another. What was it called?

DARPAnet

> 4. What major video game company originally made playing cards
> and was founded in 1889?
>
> 5. There is only one US state whose name can be typed on *one row*
> of a traditional English QWERTY keyboard. Without looking at your
> keyboard, which state is it?

alaska

> 6. In the 1930s a keyboard was created that many feel is superior
> to the standard QWERTY keyboard. It was named after its American
> creator. What is it called?

Dvorak

> 7. The first actual smartphone was produced in 1992, long before
> the iPhone. It was called the Simon Personal Communicator and was
> developed by what company?

IBM

> 8. When the predecessor to Facebook was developed in 2003 by Mark
> Zuckerberg and three fellow Harvard University students, it had
> another name. What was it called?
>
> 9. On 1968-12-09, at a computer conference in San Francisco,
> Douglas Engelbart made a presentation that essentially was the first
> to showcase almost all of the fundamental elements of modern personal
> computing in a single system, including the mouse. Years later this
> presentation was dubbed what?
>
> 10. In 1979 this company became the first to offer electronic mail
> capabilities and technical support to personal computer users. Name
> it.
>

> * Game 4, Round 6 - Literature - Animals' Stories
>
> This round is on novels that are narrated from the point of view of an
> animal. From the year published and some facts, name the book.
>
> 1. 1970: Written by Richard Bach, this bestselling "new thought"
> novel explores the spiritual growth of a bird.
>
> 2. 2010: This novel relates one dog's journey and multiple
> reincarnations. A movie adaption is currently in theatres.

A dogs purpose

> 3. 1903: This adventure/survival novel is primarily set in the
> Yukon and was first serialized in the "Saturday Evening Post".

Call of the Wild

> 4. 1952: This classic young-adult book tells the story of a special
> pig and his best friend.

Charlotte's Web

> 5. 2015: This Canadian novel involves a group of Toronto animals
> who are affected by a bet between Hermes and Apollo.
>
> 6. 1877: Another young adult classic, this horse tale by Anna
> Sewell is one of the bestselling books of all time.

Black Beauty

Gareth Owen

Jun 5, 2017, 12:00:56 PM6/5/17
Gareth Owen <gwo...@gmail.com> writes:

>> 5. There is only one US state whose name can be typed on *one row*
>> of a traditional English QWERTY keyboard. Without looking at
>> your keyboard, which state is it?

I've been trying to do this for ages, and have only just noticed it
doesn't say *THE TOP ROW*. Grrrr.

Mark Brader

Jun 5, 2017, 3:07:47 PM6/5/17
Mark Brader:
>>> 5. There is only one US state whose name can be typed on *one row*
>>> of a traditional English QWERTY keyboard. Without looking at
>>> your keyboard, which state is it?

Gareth Owen:
> I've been trying to do this for ages, and have only just noticed it
> doesn't say *THE TOP ROW*. Grrrr.

Ah yes, you missed the state of 1776. :-)
--
Mark Brader | (Monosyllables being forbidden to doctors of philosophy,
Toronto | such truths are called "invariants" in the trade.)

Pete Gayde

Jun 5, 2017, 6:32:15 PM6/5/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:HZ6dnQmOj9PC5q7EnZ2dnUU7-
ffN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-02-06,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 4, Round 4 - Science - High-Tech Inventions and Innovations
>
> The pace of high technology seems to get faster and faster each
> year. Here, we bring you some trivia and past highlights of
> high tech.
>
> 1. Born in 1791, this English mathematician, inventor, and engineer
> died in 1871. He is often referred to as the "Father of the
> Computer", as he is credited with inventing the first mechanical
> computer and envisioning the forerunner of the modern computer
> and its capabilities. Who is he?

Babbage

> 2. This English mathematician and associate of <answer 1> was
> born in 1815 and died in 1852. For <answer 1>'s digital-computer
> prototype, she created a program that many feel earned her the
> distinction of the world's first computer programmer. Name her.
>
> 3. For many, a world without the Internet is practically
> inconceivable. But, of course, it hasn't always been with us.
> Its predecessor, in the late 1960s, was a computer network
> developed by the US military and computer researchers that
> initially linked a few American universities with one another.
> What was it called?

DARPA net

> 4. What major video game company originally made playing cards
> and was founded in 1889?

Nintendo

> 5. There is only one US state whose name can be typed on *one row*
> of a traditional English QWERTY keyboard. Without looking at
> your keyboard, which state is it?

Alaska

> 6. In the 1930s a keyboard was created that many feel is superior
> to the standard QWERTY keyboard. It was named after its
> American creator. What is it called?

Dvorak

> 7. The first actual smartphone was produced in 1992, long before
> the iPhone. It was called the Simon Personal Communicator and
> was developed by what company?
>
> 8. When the predecessor to Facebook was developed in 2003 by Mark
> Zuckerberg and three fellow Harvard University students, it
> had another name. What was it called?
>
> 9. On 1968-12-09, at a computer conference in San Francisco,
> Douglas Engelbart made a presentation that essentially was
> the first to showcase almost all of the fundamental elements
> of modern personal computing in a single system, including
> the mouse. Years later this presentation was dubbed what?

Ground Zero

> 10. In 1979 this company became the first to offer electronic mail
> capabilities and technical support to personal computer users.
> Name it.

Lotus

> * Game 4, Round 6 - Literature - Animals' Stories
>
> This round is on novels that are narrated from the point of view of
> an animal. From the year published and some facts, name the book.
>
> 1. 1970: Written by Richard Bach, this bestselling "new thought"
> novel explores the spiritual growth of a bird.
>
> 2. 2010: This novel relates one dog's journey and multiple
> reincarnations. A movie adaption is currently in theatres.
>
> 3. 1903: This adventure/survival novel is primarily set in the
> Yukon and was first serialized in the "Saturday Evening Post".

Call of the Wild

> 4. 1952: This classic young-adult book tells the story of a special
> pig and his best friend.

Charlotte's Web

> 5. 2015: This Canadian novel involves a group of Toronto animals
> who are affected by a bet between Hermes and Apollo.
>
> 6. 1877: Another young adult classic, this horse tale by Anna
> Sewell is one of the bestselling books of all time.

National Velvet

> 7. 1977: This Richard Adams novel tells the tale of two escapees
> from the research station ARSE (Animal Research, Science and
> Experimental).
>
> 8. 1982: This children's novel follows the experiences of Joey
> during World War I, and inspired a play and an Oscar-nominated
> movie released in 2011.

Iron Horse

> 9. 2012: "The Art of Purring" is the sequel to this book, which has
> a feline introduce the fundamentals of Buddhism while telling
> her story. Name the first book in the series written by
> David Michie.
>
> 10. 2008: This novel by Garth Stein spent 156 weeks on the New
> York Times bestseller list. Enzo narrates this story of his
> racecar-driver owner and his preparations to become human in
> the next life.

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Jun 6, 2017, 11:07:06 PM6/6/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-02-06,
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 4, Round 4 - Science - High-Tech Inventions and Innovations

> The pace of high technology seems to get faster and faster each
> year. Here, we bring you some trivia and past highlights of
> high tech.

This was the hardest round in the original game, and the fifth-hardest
of the entire season.

> 1. Born in 1791, this English mathematician, inventor, and engineer
> died in 1871. He is often referred to as the "Father of the
> Computer", as he is credited with inventing the first mechanical
> computer and envisioning the forerunner of the modern computer
> and its capabilities. Who is he?

Charles Babbage. 4 for Joshua, Peter, Erland, Dan Tilque, Gareth,
Dan Blum, Calvin, Marc, Bruce, and Pete.

> 2. This English mathematician and associate of <answer 1> was
> born in 1815 and died in 1852. For <answer 1>'s digital-computer
> prototype, she created a program that many feel earned her the
> distinction of the world's first computer programmer. Name her.

Ada King, Countess of Lovelace. (Accepting Lovelace, King, or for
good measure her maiden name, Byron.) 4 for Joshua, Peter, Erland,
Dan Tilque, Gareth, Dan Blum, Calvin, Marc, and Bruce.

A decent 1-hour British documentary about her, "Calculating Ada",
coincidentally showed up on TVOntario a couple of days before this
set was posted.

> 3. For many, a world without the Internet is practically
> inconceivable. But, of course, it hasn't always been with us.
> Its predecessor, in the late 1960s, was a computer network
> developed by the US military and computer researchers that
> initially linked a few American universities with one another.
> What was it called?

ARPANET (Advanced Research Projects Agency Network). (I scored
"DARPAnet" as almost correct; ARPA was renamed DARPA, D for Defense,
after work on the network began.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Gareth,
Dan Blum, Calvin, and Marc. 3 for Erland, Bruce, and Pete.

> 4. What major video game company originally made playing cards
> and was founded in 1889?

Nintendo. 4 for Joshua, Peter, Erland, Dan Blum, and Pete.
3 for Calvin.

> 5. There is only one US state whose name can be typed on *one row*
> of a traditional English QWERTY keyboard. Without looking at
> your keyboard, which state is it?

Alaska. 4 for Joshua, Peter, Erland, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Marc,
Bruce, and Pete.

> 6. In the 1930s a keyboard was created that many feel is superior
> to the standard QWERTY keyboard. It was named after its
> American creator. What is it called?

Dvorak keyboard. 4 for Joshua, Peter, Erland, Dan Tilque, Gareth,
Dan Blum, Marc, Bruce, and Pete.

> 7. The first actual smartphone was produced in 1992, long before
> the iPhone. It was called the Simon Personal Communicator and
> was developed by what company?

IBM. 4 for Peter and Bruce.

> 8. When the predecessor to Facebook was developed in 2003 by Mark
> Zuckerberg and three fellow Harvard University students, it
> had another name. What was it called?

Facemash.

> 9. On 1968-12-09, at a computer conference in San Francisco,
> Douglas Engelbart made a presentation that essentially was
> the first to showcase almost all of the fundamental elements
> of modern personal computing in a single system, including
> the mouse. Years later this presentation was dubbed what?

The Mother of All Demos, as you will remember from Round 11 of
my knockout contest MSBKO5 last year. 4 for Gareth and Dan Blum.
3 for Erland.

> 10. In 1979 this company became the first to offer electronic mail
> capabilities and technical support to personal computer users.
> Name it.

CompuServe. 4 for Dan Blum and Marc.

> * Game 4, Round 6 - Literature - Animals' Stories

> This round is on novels that are narrated from the point of view of
> an animal. From the year published and some facts, name the book.

> 1. 1970: Written by Richard Bach, this bestselling "new thought"
> novel explores the spiritual growth of a bird.

"Jonathan Livingston Seagull". 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Gareth,
Dan Blum, Jason, and Marc.

> 2. 2010: This novel relates one dog's journey and multiple
> reincarnations. A movie adaption is currently in theatres.

"A Dog's Purpose" (by W. Bruce Cameron). 4 for Joshua, Gareth,
and Bruce.

> 3. 1903: This adventure/survival novel is primarily set in the
> Yukon and was first serialized in the "Saturday Evening Post".

"The Call of the Wild" (by Jack London). 4 for Joshua, Peter,
Dan Tilque, Jason, Calvin, Marc, Bruce, and Pete.

> 4. 1952: This classic young-adult book tells the story of a special
> pig and his best friend.

"Charlotte's Web" (by E.B. White). 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Gareth,
Dan Blum, Jason, Calvin, Marc, Bruce, and Pete.

> 5. 2015: This Canadian novel involves a group of Toronto animals
> who are affected by a bet between Hermes and Apollo.

"Fifteen Dogs" (by André Alexis).

> 6. 1877: Another young adult classic, this horse tale by Anna
> Sewell is one of the bestselling books of all time.

"Black Beauty". 4 for Joshua, Peter, Dan Tilque, Gareth, Dan Blum,
Jason, Calvin, Marc, and Bruce.

> 7. 1977: This Richard Adams novel tells the tale of two escapees
> from the research station ARSE (Animal Research, Science and
> Experimental).

"The Plague Dogs". 4 for Joshua.

> 8. 1982: This children's novel follows the experiences of Joey
> during World War I, and inspired a play and an Oscar-nominated
> movie released in 2011.

"War Horse" (by Michael Morpurgo).. 4 for Joshua, Gareth, and Calvin.

> 9. 2012: "The Art of Purring" is the sequel to this book, which has
> a feline introduce the fundamentals of Buddhism while telling
> her story. Name the first book in the series written by
> David Michie.

"The Dalai Lama's Cat".

> 10. 2008: This novel by Garth Stein spent 156 weeks on the New
> York Times bestseller list. Enzo narrates this story of his
> racecar-driver owner and his preparations to become human in
> the next life.

"The Art of Racing in the Rain".

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 4 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Can His Sci Lit
Dan Blum 0 28 32 12 72
Joshua Kreitzer 0 19 24 28 71
Marc Dashevsky 0 24 24 16 64
Gareth Owen 0 13 20 20 53
Dan Tilque 4 12 20 16 52
Pete Gayde 6 8 19 8 41
Peter Smyth 0 8 24 8 40
Bruce Bowler -- -- 23 16 39
Erland Sommarskog 0 11 26 0 37
"Calvin" -- -- 15 16 31
Jason Kreitzer 0 4 0 16 20

--
Mark Brader | "Don't be silly. A pedant is something you hang
Toronto | round your neck, or else you hang them by the neck."