QFTCI5GNM15 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: postal abbrevs, challenge

Mark Brader

Sep 22, 2015, 1:31:04 AM9/22/15
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-05-04,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Five Guys Named Moe, and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 3, Round 9 - Canadiana - Postal Abbreviations

What is the two-letter postal abbreviation for...?

1. Quebec.
2. Newfoundland.
3. Manitoba.
4. Saskatchewan.
5. Yukon.
6. Northwest Territories.
7. Nunavut.
8. Alberta.
9. Prince Edward Island.
10. Nova Scotia.

* Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round

A. Movie Remakes

Each question deals with a movie and its remake by the *same
director*.

A1. Director: George Marshall. Name the *title character*
played by James Stewart in 1939 and by Audie Murphy in 1954.

A2. Director: Alfred Hitchcock. The 1934 version starred
Leslie Banks and Edna Best; the 1956 version starred James
Stewart and Doris Day; and the title was the same both times.
Just give that title.

B. Periodical Abbreviations

We give the abbreviation; you give the full name of the publication.

B1. EQMM.
B2. JAMA.

C. Hollywood Walk of Fame

C1. What is unusual about Mohammed Ali's star?

C2. One creator has *three* stars on the walk for his/her
fictional characters. Who?

D. The Name's the Same

Identify the common name from the clues. Variations on a given
name are considered the same (for example, Robert and Bob).

D1. They are Austrian brothers. One (1887-1961) was a pianist
known for commissioning piano concerti for the left hand
alone; his brother (1889-1951) was a philosopher who taught
at Cambridge. Give the last name.

D2. 1915, a father and son with the same first and last name
won the Nobel prize for physics; they share their name with
an English singer whose 1986 album was "Talking with the
Taxman about Poetry".

E. Musical Terms

E1. What is the instruction to string players to pluck the
strings instead of bowing them?

E2. What is the instruction in a musical score that tells the
player to start again from the beginning?

F. Old Ball Parks

In what city was...

F1. Forbes Field?
F2. The Polo Grounds?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto It's all Henry's fault.
m...@vex.net -- Geoff Collyer

Marc Dashevsky

Sep 22, 2015, 2:54:41 AM9/22/15
In article <VvedndPxvcsKep3L...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 3, Round 9 - Canadiana - Postal Abbreviations
>
> What is the two-letter postal abbreviation for...?
>
> 1. Quebec.
QC

> 2. Newfoundland.
NL

> 3. Manitoba.
MB

> 4. Saskatchewan.
SK

> 5. Yukon.
YU

> 6. Northwest Territories.
NT

> 7. Nunavut.
NU

> 8. Alberta.
AB

> 9. Prince Edward Island.
PE

> 10. Nova Scotia.
NS

> * Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> A. Movie Remakes
>
> Each question deals with a movie and its remake by the *same
> director*.
>
> A1. Director: George Marshall. Name the *title character*
> played by James Stewart in 1939 and by Audie Murphy in 1954.
>
> A2. Director: Alfred Hitchcock. The 1934 version starred
> Leslie Banks and Edna Best; the 1956 version starred James
> Stewart and Doris Day; and the title was the same both times.
> Just give that title.
The Man Who Knew Too Much

> B. Periodical Abbreviations
>
> We give the abbreviation; you give the full name of the publication.
>
> B1. EQMM.
> B2. JAMA.
Journal of the American Medical Association

> C. Hollywood Walk of Fame
>
> C1. What is unusual about Mohammed Ali's star?
>
> C2. One creator has *three* stars on the walk for his/her
> fictional characters. Who?
Disney

> D. The Name's the Same
>
> Identify the common name from the clues. Variations on a given
> name are considered the same (for example, Robert and Bob).
>
> D1. They are Austrian brothers. One (1887-1961) was a pianist
> known for commissioning piano concerti for the left hand
> alone; his brother (1889-1951) was a philosopher who taught
> at Cambridge. Give the last name.
>
> D2. 1915, a father and son with the same first and last name
> won the Nobel prize for physics; they share their name with
> an English singer whose 1986 album was "Talking with the
> Taxman about Poetry".
>
> E. Musical Terms
>
> E1. What is the instruction to string players to pluck the
> strings instead of bowing them?
pizzicato

> E2. What is the instruction in a musical score that tells the
> player to start again from the beginning?
>
> F. Old Ball Parks
>
> In what city was...
>
> F1. Forbes Field?
Pittsburgh

> F2. The Polo Grounds?
New York City

Joshua Kreitzer

Sep 22, 2015, 3:03:57 AM9/22/15
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:VvedndPxvcsKep3LnZ2dnUU7-
Qed...@vex.net:

> * Game 3, Round 9 - Canadiana - Postal Abbreviations
>
> What is the two-letter postal abbreviation for...?
>
> 1. Quebec.

QC

> 2. Newfoundland.

NL

> 3. Manitoba.

MB

> 4. Saskatchewan.

SK

> 5. Yukon.

YT

> 6. Northwest Territories.

NT

> 7. Nunavut.

NU

> 8. Alberta.

AB

> 9. Prince Edward Island.

PE

> 10. Nova Scotia.

NS

> * Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> A. Movie Remakes
>
> Each question deals with a movie and its remake by the *same
> director*.
>
> A1. Director: George Marshall. Name the *title character*
> played by James Stewart in 1939 and by Audie Murphy in 1954.

Destry (?)

> A2. Director: Alfred Hitchcock. The 1934 version starred
> Leslie Banks and Edna Best; the 1956 version starred James
> Stewart and Doris Day; and the title was the same both times.
> Just give that title.

"The Man Who Knew Too Much"

> B. Periodical Abbreviations
>
> We give the abbreviation; you give the full name of the publication.
>
> B2. JAMA.

Journal of the American Medical Association

> C. Hollywood Walk of Fame
>
> C1. What is unusual about Mohammed Ali's star?

it depicts a boxing glove; it includes a misspelled version of his name
which should be "Muhammad" Ali

> C2. One creator has *three* stars on the walk for his/her
> fictional characters. Who?

Jim Henson; Walt Disney

> D. The Name's the Same
>
> Identify the common name from the clues. Variations on a given
> name are considered the same (for example, Robert and Bob).
>
> D2. 1915, a father and son with the same first and last name
> won the Nobel prize for physics; they share their name with
> an English singer whose 1986 album was "Talking with the
> Taxman about Poetry".

Billy Bragg

> E. Musical Terms
>
> E1. What is the instruction to string players to pluck the
> strings instead of bowing them?

pizzicato

> E2. What is the instruction in a musical score that tells the
> player to start again from the beginning?

dal capo; D.C.

> F. Old Ball Parks
>
> In what city was...
>
> F1. Forbes Field?

Pittsburgh

> F2. The Polo Grounds?

New York

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

Sep 22, 2015, 7:06:54 AM9/22/15
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 9 - Canadiana - Postal Abbreviations
>
> What is the two-letter postal abbreviation for...?
>
> 1. Quebec.

QC

> 2. Newfoundland.

NL

> 3. Manitoba.

MB

> 4. Saskatchewan.

SK

> 5. Yukon.

YK

> 6. Northwest Territories.

NT

> 7. Nunavut.

NU

> 8. Alberta.

AB

> 9. Prince Edward Island.

PE

> 10. Nova Scotia.

NS

> * Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> A. Movie Remakes
>
> Each question deals with a movie and its remake by the *same
> director*.
>
> A1. Director: George Marshall. Name the *title character*
> played by James Stewart in 1939 and by Audie Murphy in 1954.
>
> A2. Director: Alfred Hitchcock. The 1934 version starred
> Leslie Banks and Edna Best; the 1956 version starred James
> Stewart and Doris Day; and the title was the same both times.
> Just give that title.
>
> B. Periodical Abbreviations
>
> We give the abbreviation; you give the full name of the publication.
>
> B1. EQMM.
> B2. JAMA.

Journal of the American Medical Association

> C. Hollywood Walk of Fame
>
> C1. What is unusual about Mohammed Ali's star?
>
> C2. One creator has *three* stars on the walk for his/her
> fictional characters. Who?

Walt Disney

> D. The Name's the Same
>
> Identify the common name from the clues. Variations on a given
> name are considered the same (for example, Robert and Bob).
>
> D1. They are Austrian brothers. One (1887-1961) was a pianist
> known for commissioning piano concerti for the left hand
> alone; his brother (1889-1951) was a philosopher who taught
> at Cambridge. Give the last name.
>
> D2. 1915, a father and son with the same first and last name
> won the Nobel prize for physics; they share their name with
> an English singer whose 1986 album was "Talking with the
> Taxman about Poetry".
>
> E. Musical Terms
>
> E1. What is the instruction to string players to pluck the
> strings instead of bowing them?
>
> E2. What is the instruction in a musical score that tells the
> player to start again from the beginning?
>
> F. Old Ball Parks
>
> In what city was...
>
> F1. Forbes Field?

Boston ??

> F2. The Polo Grounds?

New York

--
Dan Tilque

bbowler

Sep 22, 2015, 9:36:19 AM9/22/15
On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 00:31:03 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-05-04, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup, based only on
> your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the questions and
> place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Five Guys Named Moe, and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been
> retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2015-08-18
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 3, Round 9 - Canadiana - Postal Abbreviations
>
> What is the two-letter postal abbreviation for...?
>
> 1. Quebec.

QC

> 2. Newfoundland.

NL

> 3. Manitoba.

MB

> 4. Saskatchewan.

SK

> 5. Yukon.

YT

> 6. Northwest Territories.

NT

> 7. Nunavut.

NU

> 8. Alberta.

AB

> 9. Prince Edward Island.

PE

> 10. Nova Scotia.

NS

> * Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> A. Movie Remakes
>
> Each question deals with a movie and its remake by the *same director*.
>
> A1. Director: George Marshall. Name the *title character*
> played by James Stewart in 1939 and by Audie Murphy in 1954.
>
> A2. Director: Alfred Hitchcock. The 1934 version starred
> Leslie Banks and Edna Best; the 1956 version starred James
> Stewart and Doris Day; and the title was the same both times.
> Just give that title.
>
> B. Periodical Abbreviations
>
> We give the abbreviation; you give the full name of the publication.
>
> B1. EQMM.
> B2. JAMA.

Journal of the American Medical Association

> C. Hollywood Walk of Fame
>
> C1. What is unusual about Mohammed Ali's star?

It's not a star

> C2. One creator has *three* stars on the walk for his/her
> fictional characters. Who?

Walt Disney

> D. The Name's the Same
>
> Identify the common name from the clues. Variations on a given name are
> considered the same (for example, Robert and Bob).
>
> D1. They are Austrian brothers. One (1887-1961) was a pianist
> known for commissioning piano concerti for the left hand alone;
> his brother (1889-1951) was a philosopher who taught at
> Cambridge. Give the last name.
>
> D2. 1915, a father and son with the same first and last name
> won the Nobel prize for physics; they share their name with an
> English singer whose 1986 album was "Talking with the Taxman
> about Poetry".
>
> E. Musical Terms
>
> E1. What is the instruction to string players to pluck the
> strings instead of bowing them?

Aw Pluck it

> E2. What is the instruction in a musical score that tells the
> player to start again from the beginning?
>
> F. Old Ball Parks
>
> In what city was...
>
> F1. Forbes Field?

Pittsburgh

swp

Sep 22, 2015, 9:40:33 AM9/22/15
On Tuesday, September 22, 2015 at 1:31:04 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-05-04,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Five Guys Named Moe, and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 3, Round 9 - Canadiana - Postal Abbreviations

I abstain.

> * Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> A. Movie Remakes
>
> Each question deals with a movie and its remake by the *same
> director*.
>
> A1. Director: George Marshall. Name the *title character*
> played by James Stewart in 1939 and by Audie Murphy in 1954.

Mr. Smith

> A2. Director: Alfred Hitchcock. The 1934 version starred
> Leslie Banks and Edna Best; the 1956 version starred James
> Stewart and Doris Day; and the title was the same both times.
> Just give that title.

the man who knew too much

> B. Periodical Abbreviations
>
> We give the abbreviation; you give the full name of the publication.
>
> B1. EQMM.

ellery queen's mystery magazine

> B2. JAMA.

journal of the american medical association

> C. Hollywood Walk of Fame
>
> C1. What is unusual about Mohammed Ali's star?

it is on the wall of the kodak theater, not on the sidewalk

> C2. One creator has *three* stars on the walk for his/her
> fictional characters. Who?

walt disney

> D. The Name's the Same
>
> Identify the common name from the clues. Variations on a given
> name are considered the same (for example, Robert and Bob).
>
> D1. They are Austrian brothers. One (1887-1961) was a pianist
> known for commissioning piano concerti for the left hand
> alone; his brother (1889-1951) was a philosopher who taught
> at Cambridge. Give the last name.

wittgenstein

> D2. 1915, a father and son with the same first and last name
> won the Nobel prize for physics; they share their name with
> an English singer whose 1986 album was "Talking with the
> Taxman about Poetry".

bragg?

> E. Musical Terms
>
> E1. What is the instruction to string players to pluck the
> strings instead of bowing them?

pizzicato

> E2. What is the instruction in a musical score that tells the
> player to start again from the beginning?

da capo al fine

> F. Old Ball Parks
>
> In what city was...
>
> F1. Forbes Field?

pittsburgh

> F2. The Polo Grounds?

new york

swp

Dan Blum

Sep 22, 2015, 9:51:04 AM9/22/15
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 9 - Canadiana - Postal Abbreviations

> What is the two-letter postal abbreviation for...?

> 1. Quebec.

QC

> 2. Newfoundland.

NF

> 3. Manitoba.

MB

> 4. Saskatchewan.

SK

> 5. Yukon.

YK

> 6. Northwest Territories.

NT

> 7. Nunavut.

NU

> 8. Alberta.

AB

> 9. Prince Edward Island.

PE

> 10. Nova Scotia.

NS

> * Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> A. Movie Remakes

> Each question deals with a movie and its remake by the *same
> director*.

> A2. Director: Alfred Hitchcock. The 1934 version starred
> Leslie Banks and Edna Best; the 1956 version starred James
> Stewart and Doris Day; and the title was the same both times.
> Just give that title.

The Man Who Knew Too Much; The 39 Steps

> B. Periodical Abbreviations

> We give the abbreviation; you give the full name of the publication.

> B1. EQMM.

Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine

> B2. JAMA.

Journal of the American Medical Association

> C. Hollywood Walk of Fame

> C2. One creator has *three* stars on the walk for his/her
> fictional characters. Who?

Walt Disney

> D. The Name's the Same

> Identify the common name from the clues. Variations on a given
> name are considered the same (for example, Robert and Bob).

> D1. They are Austrian brothers. One (1887-1961) was a pianist
> known for commissioning piano concerti for the left hand
> alone; his brother (1889-1951) was a philosopher who taught
> at Cambridge. Give the last name.

Wittgenstein

> D2. 1915, a father and son with the same first and last name
> won the Nobel prize for physics; they share their name with
> an English singer whose 1986 album was "Talking with the
> Taxman about Poetry".

John Bardeen

> E. Musical Terms

> E1. What is the instruction to string players to pluck the
> strings instead of bowing them?

pizzicatto

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Gareth Owen

Sep 22, 2015, 2:38:15 PM9/22/15
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> 1. Quebec.

QB

> 2. Newfoundland.

NF

> 3. Manitoba.

MT

> 4. Saskatchewan.

SK

> 5. Yukon.

YU

> 6. Northwest Territories.

NT

> 7. Nunavut.

NY

> 8. Alberta.

AI

> 9. Prince Edward Island.

PE

> 10. Nova Scotia.

NS

> * Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> A. Movie Remakes
>
> Each question deals with a movie and its remake by the *same
> director*.
>
> A1. Director: George Marshall. Name the *title character*
> played by James Stewart in 1939 and by Audie Murphy in 1954.

The only Audie Murphy movie I know is "Red Badge of Courage"

> A2. Director: Alfred Hitchcock. The 1934 version starred
> Leslie Banks and Edna Best; the 1956 version starred James
> Stewart and Doris Day; and the title was the same both times.
> Just give that title.

The Man Who Knew Too Much

> B. Periodical Abbreviations
>
> We give the abbreviation; you give the full name of the publication.
>
> B1. EQMM.

Erland's Quiz Mastery Monthly

> B2. JAMA.

Journal of the American Medical Association

> C. Hollywood Walk of Fame
>
> C1. What is unusual about Mohammed Ali's star?

That they spell his name "Mohammed" on it??

> C2. One creator has *three* stars on the walk for his/her
> fictional characters. Who?

Walt Disney seems the logical guess

> D. The Name's the Same
>
> Identify the common name from the clues. Variations on a given
> name are considered the same (for example, Robert and Bob).
>
> D1. They are Austrian brothers. One (1887-1961) was a pianist
> known for commissioning piano concerti for the left hand
> alone; his brother (1889-1951) was a philosopher who taught
> at Cambridge. Give the last name.

Wittgenstein? (if so, I confess I've never heard of the pianist)

> D2. 1915, a father and son with the same first and last name
> won the Nobel prize for physics; they share their name with
> an English singer whose 1986 album was "Talking with the
> Taxman about Poetry".

William (Billy) Bragg. Terrific album, "Talking With The Taxman".
That, or "Worker's Playtime" are his best.

> E. Musical Terms
>
> E1. What is the instruction to string players to pluck the
> strings instead of bowing them?

Pizzicato

> E2. What is the instruction in a musical score that tells the
> player to start again from the beginning?

Da Capo

> F. Old Ball Parks
>
> In what city was...
>
> F1. Forbes Field?

Björn Lundin

Sep 22, 2015, 2:57:01 PM9/22/15
On 2015-09-22 07:31, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-05-04,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Five Guys Named Moe, and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 3, Round 9 - Canadiana - Postal Abbreviations
>
> What is the two-letter postal abbreviation for...?
>
> 1. Quebec.
QU

> 2. Newfoundland.
NF
> 3. Manitoba.
MN
> 4. Saskatchewan.
SA
> 5. Yukon.
YU
> 6. Northwest Territories.
NT
> 7. Nunavut.
NU
> 8. Alberta.
AL
> 9. Prince Edward Island.
PE
> 10. Nova Scotia.
NS

> * Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> A. Movie Remakes
>
> Each question deals with a movie and its remake by the *same
> director*.
>
> A1. Director: George Marshall. Name the *title character*
> played by James Stewart in 1939 and by Audie Murphy in 1954.

Harry Lime ?

> C. Hollywood Walk of Fame
>
> C1. What is unusual about Mohammed Ali's star?

It is a crescent ?

> C2. One creator has *three* stars on the walk for his/her
> fictional characters. Who?

Walt Disney ?

> D. The Name's the Same
>
> Identify the common name from the clues. Variations on a given
> name are considered the same (for example, Robert and Bob).
>
> D1. They are Austrian brothers. One (1887-1961) was a pianist
> known for commissioning piano concerti for the left hand
> alone; his brother (1889-1951) was a philosopher who taught
> at Cambridge. Give the last name.

Bruce

> E. Musical Terms
>
> E1. What is the instruction to string players to pluck the
> strings instead of bowing them?

pluck

> E2. What is the instruction in a musical score that tells the
> player to start again from the beginning?

da capo

--
Björn

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 22, 2015, 4:20:04 PM9/22/15
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 3, Round 9 - Canadiana - Postal Abbreviations
>
> What is the two-letter postal abbreviation for...?
>
> 1. Quebec.

QB

> 2. Newfoundland.

NF

> 3. Manitoba.

MB

> 4. Saskatchewan.

SA

> 5. Yukon.

YU

> 6. Northwest Territories.

NT

> 7. Nunavut.

NU

> 8. Alberta.

AB

> 9. Prince Edward Island.

PE

> 10. Nova Scotia.

NS

> * Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round
> D2. 1915, a father and son with the same first and last name
> won the Nobel prize for physics; they share their name with
> an English singer whose 1986 album was "Talking with the
> Taxman about Poetry".

Rutherford

> E. Musical Terms
>
> E1. What is the instruction to string players to pluck the
> strings instead of bowing them?

pizzicato

> E2. What is the instruction in a musical score that tells the
> player to start again from the beginning?

Da capo

Peter Smyth

Sep 23, 2015, 6:16:12 PM9/23/15
Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-05-04,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Five Guys Named Moe, and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 3, Round 9 - Canadiana - Postal Abbreviations
>
> What is the two-letter postal abbreviation for...?
>
> 1. Quebec.
QC, QB
> 2. Newfoundland.
NF
> 3. Manitoba.
MB
> 4. Saskatchewan.
SK
> 5. Yukon.
YK
> 6. Northwest Territories.
NW
> 7. Nunavut.
NN
> 8. Alberta.
AB
> 9. Prince Edward Island.
PE
> 10. Nova Scotia.
NS

> * Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> A. Movie Remakes
>
> Each question deals with a movie and its remake by the *same
> director*.
>
> A1. Director: George Marshall. Name the *title character*
> played by James Stewart in 1939 and by Audie Murphy in 1954.
>
> A2. Director: Alfred Hitchcock. The 1934 version starred
> Leslie Banks and Edna Best; the 1956 version starred James
> Stewart and Doris Day; and the title was the same both times.
> Just give that title.
>
> B. Periodical Abbreviations
>
> We give the abbreviation; you give the full name of the publication.
>
> B1. EQMM.
> B2. JAMA.
>
> C. Hollywood Walk of Fame
>
> C1. What is unusual about Mohammed Ali's star?
>
> C2. One creator has three stars on the walk for his/her
> fictional characters. Who?
Walt Disney
> D. The Name's the Same
>
> Identify the common name from the clues. Variations on a given
> name are considered the same (for example, Robert and Bob).
>
> D1. They are Austrian brothers. One (1887-1961) was a pianist
> known for commissioning piano concerti for the left hand
> alone; his brother (1889-1951) was a philosopher who taught
> at Cambridge. Give the last name.
>
> D2. 1915, a father and son with the same first and last name
> won the Nobel prize for physics; they share their name with
> an English singer whose 1986 album was "Talking with the
> Taxman about Poetry".
Rutherford
> E. Musical Terms
>
> E1. What is the instruction to string players to pluck the
> strings instead of bowing them?
Pizzicato
> E2. What is the instruction in a musical score that tells the
> player to start again from the beginning?
Coda
> F. Old Ball Parks
>
> In what city was...
>
> F1. Forbes Field?
Chicago
> F2. The Polo Grounds?
Chicago

Peter Smyth

Jason Kreitzer

Sep 23, 2015, 10:02:32 PM9/23/15
On Tuesday, September 22, 2015 at 1:31:04 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-05-04,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Five Guys Named Moe, and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 3, Round 9 - Canadiana - Postal Abbreviations
>
> What is the two-letter postal abbreviation for...?
>
> 1. Quebec.
QC
> 2. Newfoundland.
NF
> 3. Manitoba.
MB
> 4. Saskatchewan.
SK
> 5. Yukon.
YU
> 6. Northwest Territories.
NT
> 7. Nunavut.
NU
> 8. Alberta.
AL
> 9. Prince Edward Island.
PEI
> 10. Nova Scotia.
NS

> * Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> A. Movie Remakes
>
> Each question deals with a movie and its remake by the *same
> director*.
>
> A1. Director: George Marshall. Name the *title character*
> played by James Stewart in 1939 and by Audie Murphy in 1954.
>
> A2. Director: Alfred Hitchcock. The 1934 version starred
> Leslie Banks and Edna Best; the 1956 version starred James
> Stewart and Doris Day; and the title was the same both times.
> Just give that title.
>
> B. Periodical Abbreviations
>
> We give the abbreviation; you give the full name of the publication.
>
> B1. EQMM.
> B2. JAMA.
The Journal of the American Medical Association

Pete

Sep 24, 2015, 12:21:39 AM9/24/15
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:VvedndPxvcsKep3LnZ2dnUU7-
Qed...@vex.net:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-05-04,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Five Guys Named Moe, and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 3, Round 9 - Canadiana - Postal Abbreviations
>
> What is the two-letter postal abbreviation for...?
>
> 1. Quebec.

QC

> 2. Newfoundland.

NF

> 3. Manitoba.

MT

> 4. Saskatchewan.

SK

> 5. Yukon.

YK

> 6. Northwest Territories.

NT

> 7. Nunavut.

NV

> 8. Alberta.

AL

> 9. Prince Edward Island.

PE

> 10. Nova Scotia.

NS

> * Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> A. Movie Remakes
>
> Each question deals with a movie and its remake by the *same
> director*.
>
> A1. Director: George Marshall. Name the *title character*
> played by James Stewart in 1939 and by Audie Murphy in 1954.
>
> A2. Director: Alfred Hitchcock. The 1934 version starred
> Leslie Banks and Edna Best; the 1956 version starred James
> Stewart and Doris Day; and the title was the same both times.
> Just give that title.

The Man Who Knew Too Much

> B. Periodical Abbreviations
>
> We give the abbreviation; you give the full name of the publication.
>
> B1. EQMM.
> B2. JAMA.

Journal of the American Medical Association

> C. Hollywood Walk of Fame
>
> C1. What is unusual about Mohammed Ali's star?
>
> C2. One creator has *three* stars on the walk for his/her
> fictional characters. Who?
>
> D. The Name's the Same
>
> Identify the common name from the clues. Variations on a given
> name are considered the same (for example, Robert and Bob).
>
> D1. They are Austrian brothers. One (1887-1961) was a pianist
> known for commissioning piano concerti for the left hand
> alone; his brother (1889-1951) was a philosopher who taught
> at Cambridge. Give the last name.

Wittgenstein

> D2. 1915, a father and son with the same first and last name
> won the Nobel prize for physics; they share their name with
> an English singer whose 1986 album was "Talking with the
> Taxman about Poetry".
>
> E. Musical Terms
>
> E1. What is the instruction to string players to pluck the
> strings instead of bowing them?

Pizzicato

> E2. What is the instruction in a musical score that tells the
> player to start again from the beginning?

Da Capo

> F. Old Ball Parks
>
> In what city was...
>
> F1. Forbes Field?

Pittsburgh

> F2. The Polo Grounds?

New York City

Pete

Mark Brader

Sep 24, 2015, 2:07:05 PM9/24/15
Mark Brader:
> > * Game 3, Round 9 - Canadiana - Postal Abbreviations

Stephen Perry:
> I abstain.

What, too easy?
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Courtesy, hell. We're programmers not humans."
m...@vex.net | -- S. M. Ryan

Mark Brader

Sep 24, 2015, 7:44:19 PM9/24/15
Stephen Perry:
> > I abstain.

Mark Brader:
> What, too easy?

Or was it just too much work to hold the shift key down for 20 letters? :-)
--
Mark Brader | "I don't mean to be snooty or snippy or some other
m...@vex.net | six-letter word starting with s, ending in y, and
| Didn't mean to be that either." -- Hashi Lebwohl

swp

Sep 24, 2015, 11:11:21 PM9/24/15
yes.

swp

Mark Brader

Sep 25, 2015, 12:12:40 AM9/25/15
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-05-04,
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Well, Game 3 is over and Stephen Perry has done it again.
Hearty congratulations on your win, sir!

> * Game 3, Round 9 - Canadiana - Postal Abbreviations

This was the easiest round in the original game (of course) and,
indeed, the third-easiest in the entire season.

> What is the two-letter postal abbreviation for...?

> 1. Quebec.

QC. 4 for Marc, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Bruce, Dan Blum, Jason, and Pete.
3 for Peter.

> 2. Newfoundland.

NL. (Changed from NF after the province's official name became
Newfoundland and Labrador.) 4 for Marc, Joshua, Dan Tilque,
and Bruce.

> 3. Manitoba.

MB. 4 for Marc, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Bruce, Dan Blum, Erland, Peter,
and Jason.

> 4. Saskatchewan.

SK. 4 for Marc, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Bruce, Dan Blum, Gareth, Peter,
Jason, and Pete.

> 5. Yukon.

YT. (From when Yukon Territory was the territory's official name.)
4 for Joshua and Bruce.

Just as there is exactly one country in the world whose national
2-letter Internet domain doesn't match its ISO 3166 2-letter country
code, so there is exactly one province or territory in Canada whose
2-letter subdomain under .ca doesn't match its postal abbreviation:
Yukon has .yt.ca, not .yk.ca. (Newfoundland has the old .nf.ca as
well as the newer .nl.ca.)

> 6. Northwest Territories.

NT. 4 for Marc, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Bruce, Dan Blum, Gareth, Björn,
Erland, Jason, and Pete.

> 7. Nunavut.

NU. 4 for Marc, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Bruce, Dan Blum, Björn, Erland,
and Jason.

This one caused some discomfort when the territory was first split
off the NT, because in French NU means NUDE. Canada Post stuck with
NT for both territories for a while, but then backed down and gave
Nunavut NU. I suppose they might have preferred to go with NV, but
our abbreviations and the US ones were designed not to duplicate each
other (once Nebraska had switched from its original NB, needed for
New Brunswick, to NE) and of course NV was already taken for Nevada.

> 8. Alberta.

AB. 4 for Marc, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Bruce, Dan Blum, Erland,
and Peter.

> 9. Prince Edward Island.

PE. 4 for Marc, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Bruce, Dan Blum, Gareth, Björn,
Erland, Peter, and Pete.

> 10. Nova Scotia.

NS. 4 for Marc, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Bruce, Dan Blum, Gareth, Björn,
Erland, Peter, Jason, and Pete.

> * Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> A. Movie Remakes

> Each question deals with a movie and its remake by the *same
> director*.

> A1. Director: George Marshall. Name the *title character*
> played by James Stewart in 1939 and by Audie Murphy in 1954.

Tom Destry. (1939: "Destry Rides Again"; 1954: "Destry".)
4 for Joshua.

> A2. Director: Alfred Hitchcock. The 1934 version starred
> Leslie Banks and Edna Best; the 1956 version starred James
> Stewart and Doris Day; and the title was the same both times.
> Just give that title.

"The Man Who Knew Too Much". 4 for Marc, Joshua, Stephen, Gareth,
and Pete. 3 for Dan Blum.

> B. Periodical Abbreviations

> We give the abbreviation; you give the full name of the publication.

> B1. EQMM.

"Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine". 4 for Stephen and Dan Blum.

> B2. JAMA.

"Journal of the American Medical Association". 4 for Marc, Joshua,
Dan Tilque, Bruce, Stephen, Dan Blum, Gareth, Jason, and Pete.

> C. Hollywood Walk of Fame

> C1. What is unusual about Mohammed Ali's star?

That should of course be "Muhammad". Sorry about that.

It's on a wall, so people won't walk on it. 4 for Stephen.

> C2. One creator has *three* stars on the walk for his/her
> fictional characters. Who?

Jim Henson. (Big Bird, star awarded 1994; Kermit, 2002; and one
for all the Muppets, 2012.) 3 for Joshua.

Walt Disney was a popular guess, but wrong. There are no less than
five stars for fictional characters that his company has featured
in movies, but the question said "creator", and only two of those
(Mickey Mouse, awarded 1978; Donald Duck, 2004) were actually created
or co-created by Disney. Snow White (awarded 1987) was created
by the Grimm brothers; Winnie the Pooh (2006), by A.A. Milne; and
Tinker Bell (2010), by J.M. Barrie.

> D. The Name's the Same

> Identify the common name from the clues. Variations on a given
> name are considered the same (for example, Robert and Bob).

> D1. They are Austrian brothers. One (1887-1961) was a pianist
> known for commissioning piano concerti for the left hand
> alone; his brother (1889-1951) was a philosopher who taught
> at Cambridge. Give the last name.

(Paul and Ludwig) Wittgenstein. 4 for Stephen, Dan Blum, Gareth,
and Pete.

> D2. 1915, a father and son with the same first and last name
> won the Nobel prize for physics; they share their name with
> an English singer whose 1986 album was "Talking with the
> Taxman about Poetry".

William/Billy Bragg. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, and Gareth.

> E. Musical Terms

> E1. What is the instruction to string players to pluck the
> strings instead of bowing them?

Pizzicato. (Not staccato.) 4 for Marc, Joshua, Stephen, Dan Blum,
Gareth, Erland, Peter, and Pete.

Giggle points to Bruce for "Aw, pluck it".

> E2. What is the instruction in a musical score that tells the
> player to start again from the beginning?

Da capo. (Or just D.C.) 4 for Joshua (the hard way), Gareth, Björn,
Erland, and Pete. 3 for Stephen.

> F. Old Ball Parks

> In what city was...

> F1. Forbes Field?

Pittsburgh. 4 for Marc, Joshua, Bruce, Stephen, Gareth, and Pete.

> F2. The Polo Grounds?

New York. 4 for Marc, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Bruce, Stephen, Gareth,
and Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 3 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Lit His Ent Geo Sci Spo Can Cha SIX
Stephen Perry 32 40 40 40 32 32 0 39 223
Joshua Kreitzer 18 16 40 32 24 4 40 35 189
Marc Dashevsky 4 16 32 24 40 4 36 20 168
Gareth Owen 9 8 40 4 27 36 16 32 160
Dan Blum 11 20 32 22 28 4 32 19 153
Bruce Bowler -- -- -- -- 40 40 40 12 132
Peter Smyth 7 0 8 24 24 36 23 4 122
Dan Tilque 12 0 4 39 20 0 36 8 119
Jason Kreitzer 0 8 28 20 12 0 24 4 96
Pete Gayde 8 8 -- -- 16 0 20 28 80
Erland Sommarskog 8 0 0 4 7 8 24 8 59
"Calvin" -- -- 24 18 -- -- -- -- 42
Björn Lundin 8 0 4 0 0 0 16 4 32

--
Mark Brader | "I always pass on good advice. It's the only thing
Toronto | to do with it. It is never any use to oneself."

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 25, 2015, 3:29:09 AM9/25/15
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
>> * Game 3, Round 9 - Canadiana - Postal Abbreviations
>
> This was the easiest round in the original game (of course) and,
> indeed, the third-easiest in the entire season.

Amazing. I thought it would have been the easiest round ever. Don't
Canadaians know their postal codes?

> Just as there is exactly one country in the world whose national
> 2-letter Internet domain doesn't match its ISO 3166 2-letter country
> code, so there is exactly one province or territory in Canada whose
> 2-letter subdomain under .ca doesn't match its postal abbreviation:
> Yukon has .yt.ca, not .yk.ca.

I can't really get this together. Did you swap yt and yk here?

Mark Brader

Sep 25, 2015, 1:07:38 PM9/25/15
Mark Brader:
>> This was the easiest round in the original game (of course) and,
>> indeed, the third-easiest in the entire season.

Erland Sommarskog (copyedited):
> Amazing. I thought it would have been the easiest round ever. Don't
> Canadians know their postal codes?

You may not believe this, but some people find this sort of thing...
just trivia.

Looking back at the detailed stats from the original game, I was
surprised to see that there were only two questions in the round
that were correctly answered on the first try in all 8 games --
Saskatchewan and Nova Scotia. I wasn't keeping the stats that
season, but I think I'll ask if the guy who was still has the
details to see how well other questions were answered.

>> Just as there is exactly one country in the world whose national
>> 2-letter Internet domain doesn't match its ISO 3166 2-letter country
>> code, so there is exactly one province or territory in Canada whose
>> 2-letter subdomain under .ca doesn't match its postal abbreviation:
>> Yukon has .yt.ca, not .yk.ca.
>
> I can't really get this together. Did you swap yt and yk here?

Yes, sorry. I meant to say it's .yk.ca, not .yt.ca.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Gwyneth Paltrow always says I'm a
m...@vex.net | shameless name dropper" -- Roger Ford

Mark Brader

Sep 29, 2015, 9:12:21 AM9/29/15
Mark Brader:
>>> This was the easiest round in the original game (of course) and,
>>> indeed, the third-easiest in the entire season.

Erland Sommarskog (copyedited):
>> Amazing. I thought it would have been the easiest round ever. Don't
>> Canadians know their postal codes?

Mark Brader:
> Looking back at the detailed stats from the original game, I was
> surprised to see that there were only two questions in the round
> that were correctly answered on the first try in all 8 games --
> Saskatchewan and Nova Scotia. I wasn't keeping the stats that
> season, but I think I'll ask if the guy who was still has the
> details to see how well other questions were answered.

I did receive the details, but then forgot to look at them for a
few days. The scoring in the original game, as you will recall
from the introductory posting, is 2 points for an answer on the
first try (individual) and 1 point for an answer on the second try
(with team assistance) or given by a shorthanded team on behalf of
an empty seat. There were no shorthanded teams that day, so the
last clause can be ignored.

For tabulation purposes I will combine 3- and 4- point newgroup
answers as "1st" meaning "answered on the 1st try". Nobody in the
newsgroup scored 2 points for answering on the 2nd try in this round.
The questions are sorted here by difficulty in the original game.

Question Province or Correct Original game Newsgroup
territory Abbrev 1st 2nd Missed 1st Missed

10 Nova Scotia NS 8 0 0 11 1
4 Saskatchewan SK 8 0 0 9 3
8 Alberta AB 7 1 0 7 5
1 Quebec QC 6 2 0 8 4
2 Newfoundland NL 6 2 0 4 8
6 Northwest Terr. NT 5 3 0 10 2
9 Prince Edward I. PE 5 3 0 10 2
3 Manitoba MB 5 2 1 8 4
7 Nunavut NU 2 6 0 8 4
5 Yukon YT 1 5 2 2 10

--
Mark Brader "Never trust anybody who says 'trust me.'
Toronto Except just this once, of course."

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 29, 2015, 4:19:43 PM9/29/15
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> Question Province or Correct Original game Newsgroup
> territory Abbrev 1st 2nd Missed 1st Missed
>
> 10 Nova Scotia NS 8 0 0 11 1
> 4 Saskatchewan SK 8 0 0 9 3
> 8 Alberta AB 7 1 0 7 5
> 1 Quebec QC 6 2 0 8 4
> 2 Newfoundland NL 6 2 0 4 8
> 6 Northwest Terr. NT 5 3 0 10 2
> 9 Prince Edward I. PE 5 3 0 10 2
> 3 Manitoba MB 5 2 1 8 4
> 7 Nunavut NU 2 6 0 8 4
> 5 Yukon YT 1 5 2 2 10

Interesting. That so many had problems with Yukon is maybe not so
surprising given that there are competing codes. And Newfoundland
is a little tricky too. But Manitoba? I was able to get this one
correct, since although I don't know the Canadian codes very well,
I know the US codes decently. And I had a grok that the codes are
unique over US and Canada. Given this, there was only MB to choose
from inside the name itself.

Then agaín, it the Toronto quiz teams know the Candian codes, one
should maybe not expect them to know the US codes...