QFTCIRS Game 4, Rounds 9-10: development hell, challenge

Mark Brader

Dec 1, 2019, 5:50:20 PM12/1/19
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-10-07,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Red Smarties and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2019-10-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Game 4, Round 9 - Entertainment - Development Hell

Movie projects often fail to reach fruition, or reach it only after
a long delay. Sometimes the project is not officially cancelled,
but work on it slows down or stops -- a state that the industry
calls "development hell". Here are some questions about movies
that narrowly escaped development hell, or are still in it.

All of them are adaptations of iconic books or other works.
Except as stated, in each case name them.

1. In 2002 Warner Bros. acquired the rights to make a live-action
American adaptation of the 1988 anime film and manga of the same
name. Then have made a number of attempts to film it. The manga
follows a teenage bike gang's discovery of a government secret.
Directors have included Christopher Nolan and the Hughes bothers.
The filming was delayed most recently in August 2019.

2. An adaptation of this novel series was in development at least
as far back as 2007. The book is a dark fantasy western about
a gunslinger and his journey toward a destination that is both
physical and metaphorical in nature. The film was eventually
released in August 2017.

3. The origins movie for this creole Marvel character has been
on ice since at least the early 2000s. Fox announced that this
sleazy, playing card-throwing thief would be the next mutant
to get their own movie. Channing Tatum has been most recently
poised to play the role, but no director has been assigned as
of yet. Name the *character*.

4. In 1974, Alejandro Jodorowsky created a script, extensive
storyboards, and concept art for an adaptation of a
science-fiction novel. These creative materials were sent
to all major film studios, and he argues that these inspired
later film productions, including the "Alien", "Star Wars", and
"Terminator" series. Though this movie never saw the light of
day, another adaptation did, a documentary was made about the
making of the film that never was.

5. This western-themed movie adaptation has been stuck in
development hell since 2007. It follows an unnamed protagonist
carrying out the state-sponsored genocide of Native Americans
in the West of the 1850s, as well as his run-ins with a
well-educated but brutal judge. James Franco recently shot
20 minutes of test footage. After a viewing, producer Scott
Rudin refused to move any further.

6. Neil Gaiman's trippy, metaphysical comic series ran for 75 issues
over the course of 6 years from 1989 to 1996. Warner Bros. tried
several times to bring a film to the screen throughout the 1990s.
As of late, Joseph Gordon-Levitt was slated to star for the
past 5 years or so, but he recently dropped out due to creative
differences.

7. This cult classic set in New Orleans follows its central
character Ignatius J. Reilly, a 30-year-old man living with his
mother, on a quest for employment, enjoying adventures with his
French Quarter neighbors. In 1982 Harold Ramis tried putting
together an adaptation starring John Belushi and Richard Pryor.
Belushi died young, as did the book's author. The roles were
considered cursed and the project was shelved until 2005 --
when Hurricane Katrina happened. Name the book *or* the author.

8. While the book has been the inspiration for an entire genre of
films, this cyberpunk classic itself has been on ice since 2010.
The book follows a down-on-his-luck hacker in a dystopian
future, hired to pull off the ultimate hack. This book was
a major influence on "The Matrix", as well "Johnny Mnemonic".
Name the book *or* the author.

9. The screenplay for this movie was written in September 1992 by
Craig Borten. It focused on the smuggling of AIDS medicine into
the united states. Throughout the 1990s, he wrote 10 different
scripts, hoping for it to be picked up. It was unable to secure
financial backing, going through three different directors,
before finally being released in 2013.

10. This movie was first planned shortly after the 1990 release
of a franchise sequel starring Danny Glover. This movie's
two title characters are interstellar beings who are pitted
against each other. Meant to be released sometime in 1993, It
was halted for more than a decade, with constant actor changes,
restarts, and failed promotions of the film until it was finally
released in 2004.

** Game 4, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Miscellaneous

* A. Characters in Common

In each case, the three people we have played the same character in
different movies, which may or may not have had the same title.
We will give the date of each movie, and you name the character.

A1. Katharine Hepburn (1933), June Allyson (1949), Winona Ryder
(1994). First and last name required.

A2. Douglas Fairbanks Sr. (1922), Errol Flynn (1938), Russell
Crowe (2010).

* B. On This Day

These events happened on October 7, and you must tell us the year --
within 2 years in each case.

B1. The Stamp Act Congress, also known as the First Congress
of the American Colonies, convened in New York City to
devise a unified protest against new British taxation.

B2. KLM, also known as Royal Dutch Airlines, the world's oldest
existing airline, was established.

* C. Constellations

We give you the nickname of a constellation, and you tell us its official name.

C1. The Hero.
C2. The Hunter.

* D. Canadian Men's Curling Championships

In each case the basic name of the bonspiel will be sufficient;
you don't need to mention the current sponsor.

D1. What is the name of the annual bonspiel to crown a Southern
Ontario men's champion?

D2. The winner of <answer D1> goes on to play other provincial
winners in what bonspiel to crown a Canadian champion?

* E. Kid Lit

E1. In this book by Margaret Wise Brown, in a great green room
a little bunny says good night to all the things in familiar
things in it. Name the book.

E2. In this Dr. Seuss book, one character tries to convince
another to try a new dish, which he adamantly refuses to
do (spoiler alert!) until the very end, when he finds he
likes it. Name the book.

* F. US State Capitals

Which states have the following capital cities?

F1. Dover?
F2. Trenton?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | sed -e "s;??\\([-=(/)'<!>]\\);?\\\\?\\1;g"
m...@vex.net | will fix them... -- Karl Heuer

Dan Blum

Dec 1, 2019, 6:39:58 PM12/1/19
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 4, Round 9 - Entertainment - Development Hell

> 1. In 2002 Warner Bros. acquired the rights to make a live-action
> American adaptation of the 1988 anime film and manga of the same
> name. Then have made a number of attempts to film it. The manga
> follows a teenage bike gang's discovery of a government secret.
> Directors have included Christopher Nolan and the Hughes bothers.
> The filming was delayed most recently in August 2019.

Akira

> 2. An adaptation of this novel series was in development at least
> as far back as 2007. The book is a dark fantasy western about
> a gunslinger and his journey toward a destination that is both
> physical and metaphorical in nature. The film was eventually
> released in August 2017.

The Dark Tower

> 3. The origins movie for this creole Marvel character has been
> on ice since at least the early 2000s. Fox announced that this
> sleazy, playing card-throwing thief would be the next mutant
> to get their own movie. Channing Tatum has been most recently
> poised to play the role, but no director has been assigned as
> of yet. Name the *character*.

Bullseye

> 4. In 1974, Alejandro Jodorowsky created a script, extensive
> storyboards, and concept art for an adaptation of a
> science-fiction novel. These creative materials were sent
> to all major film studios, and he argues that these inspired
> later film productions, including the "Alien", "Star Wars", and
> "Terminator" series. Though this movie never saw the light of
> day, another adaptation did, a documentary was made about the
> making of the film that never was.

Dune

> 6. Neil Gaiman's trippy, metaphysical comic series ran for 75 issues
> over the course of 6 years from 1989 to 1996. Warner Bros. tried
> several times to bring a film to the screen throughout the 1990s.
> As of late, Joseph Gordon-Levitt was slated to star for the
> past 5 years or so, but he recently dropped out due to creative
> differences.

Sandman

> 7. This cult classic set in New Orleans follows its central
> character Ignatius J. Reilly, a 30-year-old man living with his
> mother, on a quest for employment, enjoying adventures with his
> French Quarter neighbors. In 1982 Harold Ramis tried putting
> together an adaptation starring John Belushi and Richard Pryor.
> Belushi died young, as did the book's author. The roles were
> considered cursed and the project was shelved until 2005 --
> when Hurricane Katrina happened. Name the book *or* the author.

A Confederacy of Dunces

"Enjoying" is definitely the wrong word.

> 8. While the book has been the inspiration for an entire genre of
> films, this cyberpunk classic itself has been on ice since 2010.
> The book follows a down-on-his-luck hacker in a dystopian
> future, hired to pull off the ultimate hack. This book was
> a major influence on "The Matrix", as well "Johnny Mnemonic".
> Name the book *or* the author.

Neuromancer

> 9. The screenplay for this movie was written in September 1992 by
> Craig Borten. It focused on the smuggling of AIDS medicine into
> the united states. Throughout the 1990s, he wrote 10 different
> scripts, hoping for it to be picked up. It was unable to secure
> financial backing, going through three different directors,
> before finally being released in 2013.

Dallas Buyers Club

> 10. This movie was first planned shortly after the 1990 release
> of a franchise sequel starring Danny Glover. This movie's
> two title characters are interstellar beings who are pitted
> against each other. Meant to be released sometime in 1993, It
> was halted for more than a decade, with constant actor changes,
> restarts, and failed promotions of the film until it was finally
> released in 2004.

Alien vs. Predator

> ** Game 4, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Miscellaneous

> * A. Characters in Common

> A2. Douglas Fairbanks Sr. (1922), Errol Flynn (1938), Russell
> Crowe (2010).

Robin Hood

> * B. On This Day

> B1. The Stamp Act Congress, also known as the First Congress
> of the American Colonies, convened in New York City to
> devise a unified protest against new British taxation.

1772

> B2. KLM, also known as Royal Dutch Airlines, the world's oldest
> existing airline, was established.

1920

> * C. Constellations

> C1. The Hero.

Perseus

> C2. The Hunter.

Orion

> * E. Kid Lit

> E1. In this book by Margaret Wise Brown, in a great green room
> a little bunny says good night to all the things in familiar
> things in it. Name the book.

Goodnight Moon

> E2. In this Dr. Seuss book, one character tries to convince
> another to try a new dish, which he adamantly refuses to
> do (spoiler alert!) until the very end, when he finds he
> likes it. Name the book.

Green Eggs and Ham

> * F. US State Capitals

> F1. Dover?

Delaware

> F2. Trenton?

New Jersey

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Calvin

Dec 1, 2019, 6:43:58 PM12/1/19
On Monday, December 2, 2019 at 8:50:20 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 4, Round 9 - Entertainment - Development Hell

A Confederacy of Dunces

> 8. While the book has been the inspiration for an entire genre of
> films, this cyberpunk classic itself has been on ice since 2010.
> The book follows a down-on-his-luck hacker in a dystopian
> future, hired to pull off the ultimate hack. This book was
> a major influence on "The Matrix", as well "Johnny Mnemonic".
> Name the book *or* the author.
>
> 9. The screenplay for this movie was written in September 1992 by
> Craig Borten. It focused on the smuggling of AIDS medicine into
> the united states. Throughout the 1990s, he wrote 10 different
> scripts, hoping for it to be picked up. It was unable to secure
> financial backing, going through three different directors,
> before finally being released in 2013.
>
> 10. This movie was first planned shortly after the 1990 release
> of a franchise sequel starring Danny Glover. This movie's
> two title characters are interstellar beings who are pitted
> against each other. Meant to be released sometime in 1993, It
> was halted for more than a decade, with constant actor changes,
> restarts, and failed promotions of the film until it was finally
> released in 2004.

Alien v. Predator

> ** Game 4, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Miscellaneous
>
> * A. Characters in Common
>
> In each case, the three people we have played the same character in
> different movies, which may or may not have had the same title.
> We will give the date of each movie, and you name the character.
>
> A1. Katharine Hepburn (1933), June Allyson (1949), Winona Ryder
> (1994). First and last name required.
>
> A2. Douglas Fairbanks Sr. (1922), Errol Flynn (1938), Russell
> Crowe (2010).

Robin Hood, Fletcher Christian

> * B. On This Day
>
> These events happened on October 7, and you must tell us the year --
> within 2 years in each case.
>
> B1. The Stamp Act Congress, also known as the First Congress
> of the American Colonies, convened in New York City to
> devise a unified protest against new British taxation.
>
> B2. KLM, also known as Royal Dutch Airlines, the world's oldest
> existing airline, was established.

1905, 1910

> * C. Constellations
>
> We give you the nickname of a constellation, and you tell us its official name.
>
> C1. The Hero.
> C2. The Hunter.

Orion

> * D. Canadian Men's Curling Championships
>
> In each case the basic name of the bonspiel will be sufficient;
> you don't need to mention the current sponsor.
>
> D1. What is the name of the annual bonspiel to crown a Southern
> Ontario men's champion?
>
> D2. The winner of <answer D1> goes on to play other provincial
> winners in what bonspiel to crown a Canadian champion?
>

> * E. Kid Lit
>
> E1. In this book by Margaret Wise Brown, in a great green room
> a little bunny says good night to all the things in familiar
> things in it. Name the book.
>
> E2. In this Dr. Seuss book, one character tries to convince
> another to try a new dish, which he adamantly refuses to
> do (spoiler alert!) until the very end, when he finds he
> likes it. Name the book.
>

> * F. US State Capitals
>
> Which states have the following capital cities?
>
> F1. Dover?
> F2. Trenton?

I really should learn those...

cheers,
calvin

Joshua Kreitzer

Dec 2, 2019, 12:15:11 AM12/2/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in

> ** Game 4, Round 9 - Entertainment - Development Hell
>
> Here are some questions about movies
> that narrowly escaped development hell, or are still in it.
>
> All of them are adaptations of iconic books or other works.
> Except as stated, in each case name them.
>
> 1. In 2002 Warner Bros. acquired the rights to make a live-action
> American adaptation of the 1988 anime film and manga of the same
> name. Then have made a number of attempts to film it. The manga
> follows a teenage bike gang's discovery of a government secret.
> Directors have included Christopher Nolan and the Hughes bothers.
> The filming was delayed most recently in August 2019.

"Akira"

> 2. An adaptation of this novel series was in development at least
> as far back as 2007. The book is a dark fantasy western about
> a gunslinger and his journey toward a destination that is both
> physical and metaphorical in nature. The film was eventually
> released in August 2017.

"The Dark Tower"

> 4. In 1974, Alejandro Jodorowsky created a script, extensive
> storyboards, and concept art for an adaptation of a
> science-fiction novel. These creative materials were sent
> to all major film studios, and he argues that these inspired
> later film productions, including the "Alien", "Star Wars", and
> "Terminator" series. Though this movie never saw the light of
> day, another adaptation did, a documentary was made about the
> making of the film that never was.

"Dune"

> 6. Neil Gaiman's trippy, metaphysical comic series ran for 75 issues
> over the course of 6 years from 1989 to 1996. Warner Bros. tried
> several times to bring a film to the screen throughout the 1990s.
> As of late, Joseph Gordon-Levitt was slated to star for the
> past 5 years or so, but he recently dropped out due to creative
> differences.

"Sandman"

> 7. This cult classic set in New Orleans follows its central
> character Ignatius J. Reilly, a 30-year-old man living with his
> mother, on a quest for employment, enjoying adventures with his
> French Quarter neighbors. In 1982 Harold Ramis tried putting
> together an adaptation starring John Belushi and Richard Pryor.
> Belushi died young, as did the book's author. The roles were
> considered cursed and the project was shelved until 2005 --
> when Hurricane Katrina happened. Name the book *or* the author.

"A Confederacy of Dunces"

> 8. While the book has been the inspiration for an entire genre of
> films, this cyberpunk classic itself has been on ice since 2010.
> The book follows a down-on-his-luck hacker in a dystopian
> future, hired to pull off the ultimate hack. This book was
> a major influence on "The Matrix", as well "Johnny Mnemonic".
> Name the book *or* the author.

"Neuromancer"

> 9. The screenplay for this movie was written in September 1992 by
> Craig Borten. It focused on the smuggling of AIDS medicine into
> the united states. Throughout the 1990s, he wrote 10 different
> scripts, hoping for it to be picked up. It was unable to secure
> financial backing, going through three different directors,
> before finally being released in 2013.

"Dallas Buyers Club"

> ** Game 4, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Miscellaneous
>
> * A. Characters in Common
>
> In each case, the three people we have played the same character in
> different movies, which may or may not have had the same title.
> We will give the date of each movie, and you name the character.
>
> A1. Katharine Hepburn (1933), June Allyson (1949), Winona Ryder
> (1994). First and last name required.

Jo March

> A2. Douglas Fairbanks Sr. (1922), Errol Flynn (1938), Russell
> Crowe (2010).

Robin Hood

> * B. On This Day
>
> These events happened on October 7, and you must tell us the year --
> within 2 years in each case.
>
> B1. The Stamp Act Congress, also known as the First Congress
> of the American Colonies, convened in New York City to
> devise a unified protest against new British taxation.

1772

> B2. KLM, also known as Royal Dutch Airlines, the world's oldest
> existing airline, was established.

1922; 1927

> * C. Constellations
>
> We give you the nickname of a constellation, and you tell us its
> official name.
>
> C2. The Hunter.

Orion

> * E. Kid Lit
>
> E1. In this book by Margaret Wise Brown, in a great green room
> a little bunny says good night to all the things in familiar
> things in it. Name the book.

"Goodnight Moon"

> E2. In this Dr. Seuss book, one character tries to convince
> another to try a new dish, which he adamantly refuses to
> do (spoiler alert!) until the very end, when he finds he
> likes it. Name the book.

"Green Eggs and Ham"

> * F. US State Capitals
>
> Which states have the following capital cities?
>
> F1. Dover?

Delaware

> F2. Trenton?

New Jersey

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Mark Brader

Dec 2, 2019, 12:48:40 AM12/2/19
Mark Brader:
> > ...enjoying adventures with his French Quarter neighbors...

Dan Blum:
> "Enjoying" is definitely the wrong word.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the work.
--
Mark Brader "Fighting off all of the species which you
Toronto have insulted would be a full-time mission."

Pete Gayde

Dec 2, 2019, 1:23:07 AM12/2/19
Wounded Knee

> 6. Neil Gaiman's trippy, metaphysical comic series ran for 75 issues
> over the course of 6 years from 1989 to 1996. Warner Bros. tried
> several times to bring a film to the screen throughout the 1990s.
> As of late, Joseph Gordon-Levitt was slated to star for the
> past 5 years or so, but he recently dropped out due to creative
> differences.
>
> 7. This cult classic set in New Orleans follows its central
> character Ignatius J. Reilly, a 30-year-old man living with his
> mother, on a quest for employment, enjoying adventures with his
> French Quarter neighbors. In 1982 Harold Ramis tried putting
> together an adaptation starring John Belushi and Richard Pryor.
> Belushi died young, as did the book's author. The roles were
> considered cursed and the project was shelved until 2005 --
> when Hurricane Katrina happened. Name the book *or* the author.
>
> 8. While the book has been the inspiration for an entire genre of
> films, this cyberpunk classic itself has been on ice since 2010.
> The book follows a down-on-his-luck hacker in a dystopian
> future, hired to pull off the ultimate hack. This book was
> a major influence on "The Matrix", as well "Johnny Mnemonic".
> Name the book *or* the author.

Adams

> 9. The screenplay for this movie was written in September 1992 by
> Craig Borten. It focused on the smuggling of AIDS medicine into
> the united states. Throughout the 1990s, he wrote 10 different
> scripts, hoping for it to be picked up. It was unable to secure
> financial backing, going through three different directors,
> before finally being released in 2013.
>
> 10. This movie was first planned shortly after the 1990 release
> of a franchise sequel starring Danny Glover. This movie's
> two title characters are interstellar beings who are pitted
> against each other. Meant to be released sometime in 1993, It
> was halted for more than a decade, with constant actor changes,
> restarts, and failed promotions of the film until it was finally
> released in 2004.
>

> ** Game 4, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Miscellaneous
>
> * A. Characters in Common
>
> In each case, the three people we have played the same character in
> different movies, which may or may not have had the same title.
> We will give the date of each movie, and you name the character.
>
> A1. Katharine Hepburn (1933), June Allyson (1949), Winona Ryder
> (1994). First and last name required.
>
> A2. Douglas Fairbanks Sr. (1922), Errol Flynn (1938), Russell
> Crowe (2010).

Fletcher Christian

> * B. On This Day
>
> These events happened on October 7, and you must tell us the year --
> within 2 years in each case.
>
> B1. The Stamp Act Congress, also known as the First Congress
> of the American Colonies, convened in New York City to
> devise a unified protest against new British taxation.

1773; 1768

> B2. KLM, also known as Royal Dutch Airlines, the world's oldest
> existing airline, was established.

1922; 1927

> * C. Constellations
>
> We give you the nickname of a constellation, and you tell us its
> official name.
>
> C1. The Hero.
> C2. The Hunter.

Orion

> * D. Canadian Men's Curling Championships
>
> In each case the basic name of the bonspiel will be sufficient;
> you don't need to mention the current sponsor.
>
> D1. What is the name of the annual bonspiel to crown a Southern
> Ontario men's champion?
>
> D2. The winner of <answer D1> goes on to play other provincial
> winners in what bonspiel to crown a Canadian champion?
>

> * E. Kid Lit
>
> E1. In this book by Margaret Wise Brown, in a great green room
> a little bunny says good night to all the things in familiar
> things in it. Name the book.

Goodnight Moon

> E2. In this Dr. Seuss book, one character tries to convince
> another to try a new dish, which he adamantly refuses to
> do (spoiler alert!) until the very end, when he finds he
> likes it. Name the book.

Green Eggs and Ham

> * F. US State Capitals
>
> Which states have the following capital cities?
>
> F1. Dover?

Delaware

> F2. Trenton?

New Jersey

Pete Gayde

Dan Blum

Dec 2, 2019, 10:14:56 AM12/2/19
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:
> Mark Brader:
> > > ...enjoying adventures with his French Quarter neighbors...

> Dan Blum:
> > "Enjoying" is definitely the wrong word.

> Sorry, I'm not familiar with the work.

The protagonist does not enjoy anything, especially his neighbors.

Bruce Bowler

Dec 2, 2019, 1:26:07 PM12/2/19
On Sun, 01 Dec 2019 16:50:15 -0600, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-10-07,
> and should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> ** Game 4, Round 9 - Entertainment - Development Hell
>
> Movie projects often fail to reach fruition, or reach it only after a
> long delay. Sometimes the project is not officially cancelled,
> but work on it slows down or stops -- a state that the industry calls
> "development hell". Here are some questions about movies that narrowly
> escaped development hell, or are still in it.
>
> All of them are adaptations of iconic books or other works.
> Except as stated, in each case name them.
>
> 2. An adaptation of this novel series was in development at least
> as far back as 2007. The book is a dark fantasy western about a
> gunslinger and his journey toward a destination that is both physical
> and metaphorical in nature. The film was eventually released in
> August 2017.

The Dark Tower (?)

> ** Game 4, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Miscellaneous
>
> * A. Characters in Common
>
> In each case, the three people we have played the same character in
> different movies, which may or may not have had the same title.
> We will give the date of each movie, and you name the character.
>
> A1. Katharine Hepburn (1933), June Allyson (1949), Winona Ryder
> (1994). First and last name required.

Jo March

> A2. Douglas Fairbanks Sr. (1922), Errol Flynn (1938), Russell
> Crowe (2010).

Robin Hood

> * C. Constellations
>
> We give you the nickname of a constellation, and you tell us its
> official name.
>
> C1. The Hero.

Perseus

> C2. The Hunter.

Orion

> * F. US State Capitals
>
> Which states have the following capital cities?
>
> F1. Dover?

Dan Tilque

Dec 2, 2019, 1:46:24 PM12/2/19
The Sandman

> 7. This cult classic set in New Orleans follows its central
> character Ignatius J. Reilly, a 30-year-old man living with his
> mother, on a quest for employment, enjoying adventures with his
> French Quarter neighbors. In 1982 Harold Ramis tried putting
> together an adaptation starring John Belushi and Richard Pryor.
> Belushi died young, as did the book's author. The roles were
> considered cursed and the project was shelved until 2005 --
> when Hurricane Katrina happened. Name the book *or* the author.

A Confederacy of Dunces

> 8. While the book has been the inspiration for an entire genre of
> films, this cyberpunk classic itself has been on ice since 2010.
> The book follows a down-on-his-luck hacker in a dystopian
> future, hired to pull off the ultimate hack. This book was
> a major influence on "The Matrix", as well "Johnny Mnemonic".
> Name the book *or* the author.

Neuromancer

> 9. The screenplay for this movie was written in September 1992 by
> Craig Borten. It focused on the smuggling of AIDS medicine into
> the united states. Throughout the 1990s, he wrote 10 different
> scripts, hoping for it to be picked up. It was unable to secure
> financial backing, going through three different directors,
> before finally being released in 2013.
>
> 10. This movie was first planned shortly after the 1990 release
> of a franchise sequel starring Danny Glover. This movie's
> two title characters are interstellar beings who are pitted
> against each other. Meant to be released sometime in 1993, It
> was halted for more than a decade, with constant actor changes,
> restarts, and failed promotions of the film until it was finally
> released in 2004.

Alien vs Predator

> ** Game 4, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Miscellaneous
>
> * A. Characters in Common
>
> In each case, the three people we have played the same character in
> different movies, which may or may not have had the same title.
> We will give the date of each movie, and you name the character.
>
> A1. Katharine Hepburn (1933), June Allyson (1949), Winona Ryder
> (1994). First and last name required.

Hildegarde Johnson

> A2. Douglas Fairbanks Sr. (1922), Errol Flynn (1938), Russell
> Crowe (2010).

Robin Hood

> * B. On This Day
>
> These events happened on October 7, and you must tell us the year --
> within 2 years in each case.
>
> B1. The Stamp Act Congress, also known as the First Congress
> of the American Colonies, convened in New York City to
> devise a unified protest against new British taxation.

1770

> B2. KLM, also known as Royal Dutch Airlines, the world's oldest
> existing airline, was established.

1926

> * C. Constellations
>
> We give you the nickname of a constellation, and you tell us its official name.
>
> C1. The Hero.

Perseus

> C2. The Hunter.

Orion

> * D. Canadian Men's Curling Championships
>
> In each case the basic name of the bonspiel will be sufficient;
> you don't need to mention the current sponsor.
>
> D1. What is the name of the annual bonspiel to crown a Southern
> Ontario men's champion?
>
> D2. The winner of <answer D1> goes on to play other provincial
> winners in what bonspiel to crown a Canadian champion?
>

> * E. Kid Lit
>
> E1. In this book by Margaret Wise Brown, in a great green room
> a little bunny says good night to all the things in familiar
> things in it. Name the book.

Goodnight Moon

> E2. In this Dr. Seuss book, one character tries to convince
> another to try a new dish, which he adamantly refuses to
> do (spoiler alert!) until the very end, when he finds he
> likes it. Name the book.

Green Eggs and Ham

> * F. US State Capitals
>
> Which states have the following capital cities?
>
> F1. Dover?

Delaware

> F2. Trenton?

New Jersey

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Dec 3, 2019, 3:13:27 PM12/3/19
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * F. US State Capitals
>
> Which states have the following capital cities?
>
> F1. Dover?

Vermont?

> F2. Trenton?

New Jersey.

Mark Brader

Dec 4, 2019, 7:16:58 PM12/4/19
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-10-07,
> see my 2019-10-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Game 4 has been a close one but, if there are no errors, JOSHUA
KREITZER squeaks out a win by 2 points. Hearty congratulations!

> ** Game 4, Round 9 - Entertainment - Development Hell

> Movie projects often fail to reach fruition, or reach it only after
> a long delay. Sometimes the project is not officially cancelled,
> but work on it slows down or stops -- a state that the industry
> calls "development hell". Here are some questions about movies
> that narrowly escaped development hell, or are still in it.

> All of them are adaptations of iconic books or other works.
> Except as stated, in each case name them.

> 1. In 2002 Warner Bros. acquired the rights to make a live-action
> American adaptation of the 1988 anime film and manga of the same
> name. Then have made a number of attempts to film it. The manga
> follows a teenage bike gang's discovery of a government secret.
> Directors have included Christopher Nolan and the Hughes bothers.
> The filming was delayed most recently in August 2019.

"Akira". 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 2. An adaptation of this novel series was in development at least
> as far back as 2007. The book is a dark fantasy western about
> a gunslinger and his journey toward a destination that is both
> physical and metaphorical in nature. The film was eventually
> released in August 2017.

"The Dark Tower" (also accepting "The Gunslinger"). 4 for Dan Blum,
Joshua, and Bruce.

> 3. The origins movie for this creole Marvel character has been
> on ice since at least the early 2000s. Fox announced that this
> sleazy, playing card-throwing thief would be the next mutant
> to get their own movie. Channing Tatum has been most recently
> poised to play the role, but no director has been assigned as
> of yet. Name the *character*.

Gambit.

> 4. In 1974, Alejandro Jodorowsky created a script, extensive
> storyboards, and concept art for an adaptation of a
> science-fiction novel. These creative materials were sent
> to all major film studios, and he argues that these inspired
> later film productions, including the "Alien", "Star Wars", and
> "Terminator" series. Though this movie never saw the light of
> day, another adaptation did, a documentary was made about the
> making of the film that never was.

"Dune". 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 5. This western-themed movie adaptation has been stuck in
> development hell since 2007. It follows an unnamed protagonist
> carrying out the state-sponsored genocide of Native Americans
> in the West of the 1850s, as well as his run-ins with a
> well-educated but brutal judge. James Franco recently shot
> 20 minutes of test footage. After a viewing, producer Scott
> Rudin refused to move any further.

"Blood Meridian".

> 6. Neil Gaiman's trippy, metaphysical comic series ran for 75 issues
> over the course of 6 years from 1989 to 1996. Warner Bros. tried
> several times to bring a film to the screen throughout the 1990s.
> As of late, Joseph Gordon-Levitt was slated to star for the
> past 5 years or so, but he recently dropped out due to creative
> differences.

"Sandman". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 7. This cult classic set in New Orleans follows its central
> character Ignatius J. Reilly, a 30-year-old man living with his
> mother, on a quest for employment, enjoying adventures with his
> French Quarter neighbors. In 1982 Harold Ramis tried putting
> together an adaptation starring John Belushi and Richard Pryor.
> Belushi died young, as did the book's author. The roles were
> considered cursed and the project was shelved until 2005 --
> when Hurricane Katrina happened. Name the book *or* the author.

"A Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole. 4 for Dan Blum,
Calvin, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 8. While the book has been the inspiration for an entire genre of
> films, this cyberpunk classic itself has been on ice since 2010.
> The book follows a down-on-his-luck hacker in a dystopian
> future, hired to pull off the ultimate hack. This book was
> a major influence on "The Matrix", as well "Johnny Mnemonic".
> Name the book *or* the author.

"Neuromancer" by William Gibson. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

> 9. The screenplay for this movie was written in September 1992 by
> Craig Borten. It focused on the smuggling of AIDS medicine into
> the united states. Throughout the 1990s, he wrote 10 different
> scripts, hoping for it to be picked up. It was unable to secure
> financial backing, going through three different directors,
> before finally being released in 2013.

"Dallas Buyers Club". 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 10. This movie was first planned shortly after the 1990 release
> of a franchise sequel starring Danny Glover. This movie's
> two title characters are interstellar beings who are pitted
> against each other. Meant to be released sometime in 1993, It
> was halted for more than a decade, with constant actor changes,
> restarts, and failed promotions of the film until it was finally
> released in 2004.

"Alien vs. Predator". 4 for Dan Blum, Calvin, and Dan Tilque.

> ** Game 4, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Miscellaneous

> * A. Characters in Common

> In each case, the three people we have played the same character in
> different movies, which may or may not have had the same title.
> We will give the date of each movie, and you name the character.

> A1. Katharine Hepburn (1933), June Allyson (1949), Winona Ryder
> (1994). First and last name required.

Jo March (in "Little Women"). 4 for Joshua and Bruce.

Hildy Johnson was a decent guess, but he/she has actually been played
by Pat O'Brien (1931), Rosalind Russell (1940), and Jack Lemmon
(1972).

> A2. Douglas Fairbanks Sr. (1922), Errol Flynn (1938), Russell
> Crowe (2010).

Robin Hood. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Bruce, and Dan Tilque.
3 for Calvin.

Fletcher Christian was played by Errol Flynn in "In the Wake of
the Bounty" (1933), but otherwise he's been played by Wilton Power
(1916), Clark Gable (1935), Marlon Brando (1962), and Mel Gibson.

> * B. On This Day

> These events happened on October 7, and you must tell us the year --
> within 2 years in each case.

> B1. The Stamp Act Congress, also known as the First Congress
> of the American Colonies, convened in New York City to
> devise a unified protest against new British taxation.

1765 (accepting 1763-67). Since nobody got it, I accepted answers
within double the allowed leeway as "almost correct"; so, 1 for Pete.

> B2. KLM, also known as Royal Dutch Airlines, the world's oldest
> existing airline, was established.

1919 (accepting 1917-21). 4 for Dan Blum.

> * C. Constellations

> We give you the nickname of a constellation, and you tell us its
> official name.

> C1. The Hero.

Perseus. 4 for Dan Blum, Bruce, and Dan Tilque.

> C2. The Hunter.

Orion. 4 for Dan Blum, Calvin, Joshua, Pete, Bruce, and Dan Tilque.

> * D. Canadian Men's Curling Championships

> In each case the basic name of the bonspiel will be sufficient;
> you don't need to mention the current sponsor.

> D1. What is the name of the annual bonspiel to crown a Southern
> Ontario men's champion?

(Dairy Farmers of Ontario) Tankard.

> D2. The winner of <answer D1> goes on to play other provincial
> winners in what bonspiel to crown a Canadian champion?

(Tim Hortons) Brier.

> * E. Kid Lit

> E1. In this book by Margaret Wise Brown, in a great green room
> a little bunny says good night to all the things in familiar
> things in it. Name the book.

"Goodnight, Moon". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> E2. In this Dr. Seuss book, one character tries to convince
> another to try a new dish, which he adamantly refuses to
> do (spoiler alert!) until the very end, when he finds he
> likes it. Name the book.

"Green Eggs and Ham". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> * F. US State Capitals

> Which states have the following capital cities?

> F1. Dover?

Delaware. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Pete, Bruce, and Dan Tilque.

> F2. Trenton?

New Jersey. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Pete, Bruce, Dan Tilque,
and Erland.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 4 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Spo Mis Can Sci Art Geo Ent Cha SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 28 28 12 20 26 24 28 28 162
Dan Blum 16 28 0 36 16 11 32 32 160
Dan Tilque 24 32 12 8 0 27 16 28 139
"Calvin" 11 28 -- -- 3 12 8 7 69
Pete Gayde 20 20 -- -- -- -- 0 21 61
Bruce Bowler 16 12 -- -- -- -- 4 24 56
Erland Sommarskog 4 24 0 0 0 19 0 4 51

--
Mark Brader "There are three rules for writing the novel.
Toronto Unfortunately no one knows what they are."