QFTCI5EP Final, Round 8: Arts & Literature

Mark Brader

Sep 15, 2017, 1:28:53 AM9/15/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-04-04,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 10-12 days.

All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Final, Round 8 - Arts & Literature

* African-American Writers

After World War II, a number of African-American novelists, poets,
and playwrights of incredible ingenuity emerged. Name the writer
from the description.

1. He wrote the novel "Native Son" in 1940 and the memoir
"Black Boy" in 1945.

2. She brought "A Raisin in the Sun" to Broadway in 1959.

3. His novel "Invisible Man" won the US National Book Award in 1953.

* Booker Prize Winners

From each list of three novels by a Booker Prize winner, name
the author.

4. "Flaubert's Parrot"; "England, England"; "Arthur and George".

5. "The Comfort of Strangers"; "Atonement"; "Nutshell".

6. "The Unusual Life of Tristan Smith"; "Illywhacker"; "The Tax
Inspector".

* Abstract Expressionism

Although it has roots in earlier 20th-century art, abstract
expressionism came to the fore in New York after World War II.
In each case, name the painter.

7. See <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR8/art1.jpg>, which is
"Woman I". This Dutch-American artist was noted for his series
of Woman paintings such as this one.

8. See <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR8/art2.jpg>, which is
"White and Greens in Blue". This Russian-American painter was
known for his reds, but as you see here, he did some pretty
mean greens and blues, too.

9. See <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR8/art3.jpg>, which is
"The Seasons". One of the few female abstract expressionists,
she was married to Jackson Pollock.

* Science-Fiction Book Covers

We give you the year and the cover art; you name the novel.

10. From 1961: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR8/book1.jpg
11. From 1932: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR8/book2.jpg
12. From 1960: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR8/book3.jpg

* Clothing Designers

In each case, name either the designer or, if its name is different,
their company or brand.

13. Known for her clean and simple designs, this 66-year-old
New York designer heads a company with over $300 million in
annual revenue. Her first Toronto store opened last year at
Sherway Gardens.

14. This clothing company is named after its 75-year-old founder.
Its slogan is "Swedish design with a green soul." Its colorful
clothes have been described as "having forgiving cuts, if not
outright billowy".

15. This British-born designer moved to Montreal in 1970 at
the age of 23. She has been dubbed "The Queen of Outerwear",
and her first signature piece was called the "Sunburst Coat".
Her clothes are fixtures in major North American department
stores.

--
Mark Brader | "'"'Tisn't very easy to tell if a '"' or ''' mark
Toronto | is an opening or closing quote or ditto or prime,"

Joshua Kreitzer

Sep 15, 2017, 1:45:45 AM9/15/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:VKqdncHvSNeN-CbEnZ2dnUU7-
WHN...@giganews.com:

> ** Final, Round 8 - Arts & Literature
>
> * African-American Writers
>
> After World War II, a number of African-American novelists, poets,
> and playwrights of incredible ingenuity emerged. Name the writer
> from the description.
>
> 1. He wrote the novel "Native Son" in 1940 and the memoir
> "Black Boy" in 1945.

Wright

> 2. She brought "A Raisin in the Sun" to Broadway in 1959.

Hansbery

> 3. His novel "Invisible Man" won the US National Book Award in 1953.

Ellison

> * Abstract Expressionism
>
> Although it has roots in earlier 20th-century art, abstract
> expressionism came to the fore in New York after World War II.
> In each case, name the painter.
>
> 7. See <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR8/art1.jpg>, which is
> "Woman I". This Dutch-American artist was noted for his series
> of Woman paintings such as this one.

de Kooning

> 8. See <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR8/art2.jpg>, which is
> "White and Greens in Blue". This Russian-American painter was
> known for his reds, but as you see here, he did some pretty
> mean greens and blues, too.

Kandinsky

> 9. See <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR8/art3.jpg>, which is
> "The Seasons". One of the few female abstract expressionists,
> she was married to Jackson Pollock.

Krasner

> * Science-Fiction Book Covers
>
> We give you the year and the cover art; you name the novel.

"A Canticle for Leibowitz"

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Blum

Sep 15, 2017, 8:11:27 AM9/15/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Final, Round 8 - Arts & Literature

> * African-American Writers

> 1. He wrote the novel "Native Son" in 1940 and the memoir
> "Black Boy" in 1945.

James Baldwin

> 2. She brought "A Raisin in the Sun" to Broadway in 1959.

Hansberry

> 3. His novel "Invisible Man" won the US National Book Award in 1953.

Ralph Ellison

> * Booker Prize Winners

> 5. "The Comfort of Strangers"; "Atonement"; "Nutshell".

Ian McEwan

> * Abstract Expressionism

> 7. See <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR8/art1.jpg>, which is
> "Woman I". This Dutch-American artist was noted for his series
> of Woman paintings such as this one.

de Kooning

> * Science-Fiction Book Covers
Stranger in a Strange Land
Brave New World
A Canticle for Leibowitz

> * Clothing Designers

> 13. Known for her clean and simple designs, this 66-year-old
> New York designer heads a company with over $300 million in
> annual revenue. Her first Toronto store opened last year at
> Sherway Gardens.

Donna Karan

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Marc Dashevsky

Sep 15, 2017, 10:11:27 AM9/15/17
In article <VKqdncHvSNeN-CbE...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> ** Final, Round 8 - Arts & Literature
>
> * African-American Writers
>
> After World War II, a number of African-American novelists, poets,
> and playwrights of incredible ingenuity emerged. Name the writer
> from the description.
>
> 1. He wrote the novel "Native Son" in 1940 and the memoir
> "Black Boy" in 1945.
Richard Wright

> 2. She brought "A Raisin in the Sun" to Broadway in 1959.
>
> 3. His novel "Invisible Man" won the US National Book Award in 1953.
Ralph Ellison

> * Booker Prize Winners
>
> From each list of three novels by a Booker Prize winner, name
> the author.
>
> 4. "Flaubert's Parrot"; "England, England"; "Arthur and George".
>
> 5. "The Comfort of Strangers"; "Atonement"; "Nutshell".
>
> 6. "The Unusual Life of Tristan Smith"; "Illywhacker"; "The Tax
> Inspector".
>

> * Abstract Expressionism
>
> Although it has roots in earlier 20th-century art, abstract
> expressionism came to the fore in New York after World War II.
> In each case, name the painter.
>
> 7. See <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR8/art1.jpg>, which is
> "Woman I". This Dutch-American artist was noted for his series
> of Woman paintings such as this one.
de Kooning

> 8. See <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR8/art2.jpg>, which is
> "White and Greens in Blue". This Russian-American painter was
> known for his reds, but as you see here, he did some pretty
> mean greens and blues, too.
Rothko

> 9. See <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR8/art3.jpg>, which is
> "The Seasons". One of the few female abstract expressionists,
> she was married to Jackson Pollock.
>

> * Science-Fiction Book Covers
>
> We give you the year and the cover art; you name the novel.
>
> 10. From 1961: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR8/book1.jpg
Stranger In A Strange Land
Brave New World

> 12. From 1960: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR8/book3.jpg
>

> * Clothing Designers
>
> In each case, name either the designer or, if its name is different,
> their company or brand.
>
> 13. Known for her clean and simple designs, this 66-year-old
> New York designer heads a company with over $300 million in
> annual revenue. Her first Toronto store opened last year at
> Sherway Gardens.
Donna Karan

> 14. This clothing company is named after its 75-year-old founder.
> Its slogan is "Swedish design with a green soul." Its colorful
> clothes have been described as "having forgiving cuts, if not
> outright billowy".
>
> 15. This British-born designer moved to Montreal in 1970 at
> the age of 23. She has been dubbed "The Queen of Outerwear",
> and her first signature piece was called the "Sunburst Coat".
> Her clothes are fixtures in major North American department
> stores.

---
http://www.avg.com

Dan Tilque

Sep 16, 2017, 4:13:46 AM9/16/17

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Sep 18, 2017, 2:38:17 PM9/18/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-04-04,
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> ** Final, Round 8 - Arts & Literature

> * African-American Writers

> After World War II, a number of African-American novelists, poets,
> and playwrights of incredible ingenuity emerged. Name the writer
> from the description.

> 1. He wrote the novel "Native Son" in 1940 and the memoir
> "Black Boy" in 1945.

Richard Wright. 4 for Joshua and Marc.

> 2. She brought "A Raisin in the Sun" to Broadway in 1959.

Lorraine Hansberry. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 3. His novel "Invisible Man" won the US National Book Award in 1953.

Ralph Ellison. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Blum, Marc,
and Dan Tilque.

> * Booker Prize Winners

> From each list of three novels by a Booker Prize winner, name
> the author.

> 4. "Flaubert's Parrot"; "England, England"; "Arthur and George".

Julian Barnes.

> 5. "The Comfort of Strangers"; "Atonement"; "Nutshell".

Ian McEwan. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 6. "The Unusual Life of Tristan Smith"; "Illywhacker"; "The Tax
> Inspector".

Peter Carey.

> * Abstract Expressionism

> Although it has roots in earlier 20th-century art, abstract
> expressionism came to the fore in New York after World War II.
> In each case, name the painter.

> 7. See <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR8/art1.jpg>, which is
> "Woman I". This Dutch-American artist was noted for his series
> of Woman paintings such as this one.

William de Kooning. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Marc.

> 8. See <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR8/art2.jpg>, which is
> "White and Greens in Blue". This Russian-American painter was
> known for his reds, but as you see here, he did some pretty
> mean greens and blues, too.

Mark Rothko. 4 for Marc.

> 9. See <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR8/art3.jpg>, which is
> "The Seasons". One of the few female abstract expressionists,
> she was married to Jackson Pollock.

Lee Krasner. 4 for Joshua.

> * Science-Fiction Book Covers

> We give you the year and the cover art; you name the novel.

> 10. From 1961: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/GFR8/book1.jpg

"Stranger in a Strange Land". 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, and Dan Tilque.
"Brave New World". 4 for Dan Blum and Marc.
"A Canticle for Liebowitz". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> * Clothing Designers

> In each case, name either the designer or, if its name is different,
> their company or brand.

None of them are different.

> 13. Known for her clean and simple designs, this 66-year-old
> New York designer heads a company with over $300 million in
> annual revenue. Her first Toronto store opened last year at
> Sherway Gardens.

Eileen Fisher.

> 14. This clothing company is named after its 75-year-old founder.
> Its slogan is "Swedish design with a green soul." Its colorful
> clothes have been described as "having forgiving cuts, if not
> outright billowy".

Gudrun-Sjödén.

> 15. This British-born designer moved to Montreal in 1970 at
> the age of 23. She has been dubbed "The Queen of Outerwear",
> and her first signature piece was called the "Sunburst Coat".
> Her clothes are fixtures in major North American department
> stores.

Hilary Radley.

Scores, if there are no errors:

FINAL ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST