Calvin's Quiz #611

Calvin

Sep 15, 2020, 9:47:22 PM9/15/20

1 Which word can mean a mammal characterized by nails on the hands and feet, high-ranking bishop, or a city disproportionately larger than any other in its country?
2 To date, who is the only British Prime Minister to have spoken English as a second language?
3 The works of which American writer and Nobel Prize laureate include The Sound and the Fury (1929) and As I Lay Dying (1930)?
4 Which 1963 Andy Williams song, the title theme of a Blake Edwards movie starring Jack Lemmon and Lee Remick, won both a Grammy for Record of the Year and an Oscar for Best Song?
5 In surfing and skateboarding, what term refers to a person who rides with their right foot forward?
6 In pétanque singles and doubles play, how many boules does each player use in an end?
7 Which popular folk song namechecks parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme?
8 What condition is the opposite of albinism?
9 Originally used to explain how brand or product differentiation led successful advertising campaigns (but now with broader applications), what does the acronym USP stand for?
10 Both starring Jack Nicholson, The Two Jakes was a 1990 sequel to which 1974 Roman Polanski film?

cheers,
calvin

Dan Blum

Sep 15, 2020, 10:28:57 PM9/15/20
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1 Which word can mean a mammal characterized by nails on the hands and feet, high-ranking bishop, or a city disproportionately larger than any other in its country?

primate

> 3 The works of which American writer??and??Nobel Prize??laureate include The Sound and the Fury (1929) and As I Lay Dying (1930)?

William Faulkner

3

> 7 Which popular folk song namechecks parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme?

Scarborough Fair

> 8 What condition is the opposite of albinism?

hyperpigmentation

> 10 Both starring Jack Nicholson, The Two Jakes was a 1990 sequel to which 1974 Roman Polanski film?

Chinatown

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Pete Gayde

Sep 15, 2020, 11:06:28 PM9/15/20
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 Which word can mean a mammal characterized by nails on the hands
> and feet, high-ranking bishop, or a city disproportionately larger
> than any other in its country?

Prelate

> 2 To date, who is the only British
> Prime Minister to have spoken English as a second language?

Disraeli

> 3 The
> works of which American writer and Nobel Prize laureate include The
> Sound and the Fury (1929) and As I Lay Dying (1930)?
> Andy Williams song, the title theme of a Blake Edwards movie starring
> Jack Lemmon and Lee Remick, won both a Grammy for Record of the Year
> and an Oscar for Best Song?

Days of Wine and Roses

> 5 In surfing and skateboarding, what
> term refers to a person who rides with their right foot forward?
> 6 In pétanque singles and doubles play, how many boules does each
> player use in an end?
> 7 Which popular folk song namechecks
> parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme?

Scarborough Fair

> 8 What condition is the opposite of albinism?
> 9 Originally used to explain how brand or
> product differentiation led successful advertising campaigns (but now
> with broader applications), what does the acronym USP stand for?
> 10 Both starring Jack Nicholson, The Two Jakes was a 1990 sequel to
> which 1974 Roman Polanski film?

Chinatown

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Sep 16, 2020, 12:12:24 AM9/16/20
"Calvin":
> 1 Which word can mean a mammal characterized by nails on the
> hands and feet, high-ranking bishop, or a city
> disproportionately larger than any other in its country?

Primate, I suppose.

> 2 To date, who is the only British Prime Minister to have
> spoken English as a second language?

Pitt the elder?

> 3 The works of which American writer and Nobel
> Prize laureate include The Sound and the Fury (1929) and As I
> Lay Dying (1930)?

Faulkner.

> 4 Which 1963 Andy Williams song, the title theme of a Blake
> Edwards movie starring Jack Lemmon and Lee Remick, won both a
> Grammy for Record of the Year and an Oscar for Best Song?

"Two for the Road".

> 5 In surfing and skateboarding, what term refers to a person
> who rides with their right foot forward?

Left-foot Johnson. :-)

> 6 In pétanque singles and doubles play, how many boules does
> each player use in an end?

4.

> 7 Which popular folk song namechecks parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme?

"Scarborough Fair".

> 8 What condition is the opposite of albinism?

Melanism?

> 9 Originally used to explain how brand or product
> differentiation led successful advertising campaigns (but now
> with broader applications), what does the acronym USP stand
> for?

Well, the first thing that come to mind is United States Pharmacopoeia...
I give up. Johnson.

> 10 Both starring Jack Nicholson, The Two Jakes was a 1990
> sequel to which 1974 Roman Polanski film?

"Chinatown".
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "As for Canada's lack of mystique,
m...@vex.net it is not unique." -- Mark Leeper

Mark Brader

Sep 16, 2020, 12:13:26 AM9/16/20
Mark Brader:
> "Two for the Road".

Dammit, I was thinking of the wrong movie. (Obviously.)
--
Mark Brader "C was developed for the programmer
Toronto (two of them, in fact)"

Joe Masters

Sep 16, 2020, 1:37:50 AM9/16/20
On 2020-09-16 01:47:21 +0000, Calvin said:

> 1 Which word can mean a mammal characterized by nails on the hands and
> feet, high-ranking bishop, or a city disproportionately larger than any
> other in its country?

Primate

> 2 To date, who is the only British Prime Minister to have spoken
> English as a second language?

Disraeli

> 3 The works of which American writer and Nobel Prize laureate include
> The Sound and the Fury (1929) and As I Lay Dying (1930)?

Faulkener

> 4 Which 1963 Andy Williams song, the title theme of a Blake Edwards
> movie starring Jack Lemmon and Lee Remick, won both a Grammy for Record
> of the Year and an Oscar for Best Song?

Moon River?

6

> 7 Which popular folk song namechecks parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme?

Scarborough Fair

> 8 What condition is the opposite of albinism?
> 9 Originally used to explain how brand or product differentiation led
> successful advertising campaigns (but now with broader applications),
> what does the acronym USP stand for?

Unique Selling Point

--
“To err, as they say, is human. To forgive is divine. To err by
withholding your forgiveness until it’s too late is to become divinely

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 16, 2020, 1:47:22 PM9/16/20
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 Which word can mean a mammal characterized by nails on the hands
> and feet, high-ranking bishop, or a city disproportionately larger than
> any other in its country?

Cardinal

> 2 To date, who is the only British Prime Minister to have spoken
> English as a second language?

Edward III. Well, at least he qualifies for the second half of the question.

> 6 In pétanque singles and doubles play, how many boules does each
> player use in an end?

Four

> 7 Which popular folk song namechecks parsley, sage, rosemary and
> thyme?

Scarborough Fair

Dan Tilque

Sep 16, 2020, 5:02:01 PM9/16/20
On 9/15/20 6:47 PM, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which word can mean a mammal characterized by nails on the hands and feet, high-ranking bishop, or a city disproportionately larger than any other in its country?

primate

> 2 To date, who is the only British Prime Minister to have spoken English as a second language?
> 3 The works of which American writer and Nobel Prize laureate include The Sound and the Fury (1929) and As I Lay Dying (1930)?
> 4 Which 1963 Andy Williams song, the title theme of a Blake Edwards movie starring Jack Lemmon and Lee Remick, won both a Grammy for Record of the Year and an Oscar for Best Song?
> 5 In surfing and skateboarding, what term refers to a person who rides with their right foot forward?
> 6 In pétanque singles and doubles play, how many boules does each player use in an end?
> 7 Which popular folk song namechecks parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme?

Scarborough Fair

> 8 What condition is the opposite of albinism?
> 9 Originally used to explain how brand or product differentiation led successful advertising campaigns (but now with broader applications), what does the acronym USP stand for?
> 10 Both starring Jack Nicholson, The Two Jakes was a 1990 sequel to which 1974 Roman Polanski film?

Forget it Jake, it's Chinatown.

--
Dan Tilque

swp

Sep 16, 2020, 8:48:36 PM9/16/20
On Tuesday, September 15, 2020 at 9:47:22 PM UTC-4, Calvin wrote:
> 1 Which word can mean a mammal characterized by nails on the hands and feet, high-ranking bishop, or a city disproportionately larger than any other in its country?

primate

> 2 To date, who is the only British Prime Minister to have spoken English as a second language?

david george

> 3 The works of which American writer and Nobel Prize laureate include The Sound and the Fury (1929) and As I Lay Dying (1930)?

bill faulkner

> 4 Which 1963 Andy Williams song, the title theme of a Blake Edwards movie starring Jack Lemmon and Lee Remick, won both a Grammy for Record of the Year and an Oscar for Best Song?

days of wine and roses

> 5 In surfing and skateboarding, what term refers to a person who rides with their right foot forward?

goofy

> 6 In pétanque singles and doubles play, how many boules does each player use in an end?

2?

> 7 Which popular folk song namechecks parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme?

scarborough fair

> 8 What condition is the opposite of albinism?

melanism

> 9 Originally used to explain how brand or product differentiation led successful advertising campaigns (but now with broader applications), what does the acronym USP stand for?

unique selling point

> 10 Both starring Jack Nicholson, The Two Jakes was a 1990 sequel to which 1974 Roman Polanski film?

chinatown

> cheers,
> calvin

swp

Calvin

Sep 24, 2020, 4:48:46 PM9/24/20
On Wednesday, September 16, 2020 at 11:47:22 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which word can mean a mammal characterized by nails on the hands and feet, high-ranking bishop, or a city disproportionately larger than any other in its country?

Primate

> 2 To date, who is the only British Prime Minister to have spoken English as a second language?

David Lloyd-George (Welsh)
Singleton for Stephen

> 3 The works of which American writer and Nobel Prize laureate include The Sound and the Fury (1929) and As I Lay Dying (1930)?

William Faulkner

> 4 Which 1963 Andy Williams song, the title theme of a Blake Edwards movie starring Jack Lemmon and Lee Remick, won both a Grammy for Record of the Year and an Oscar for Best Song?

Days of Wine and Roses

> 5 In surfing and skateboarding, what term refers to a person who rides with their right foot forward?

Goofy footer
Singleton for Stephen

> 6 In pétanque singles and doubles play, how many boules does each player use in an end?

3
Singleton for Dan

> 7 Which popular folk song namechecks parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme?

Scarborough Fair

> 8 What condition is the opposite of albinism?

Melanism

> 9 Originally used to explain how brand or product differentiation led successful advertising campaigns (but now with broader applications), what does the acronym USP stand for?

Unique Selling Point

> 10 Both starring Jack Nicholson, The Two Jakes was a 1990 sequel to which 1974 Roman Polanski film?

Chinatown

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 611
1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 9 29 Stephen Perry
1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 5 22 Dan Blum
1 0 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 5 23 Mark Brader
1 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 4 18 Joe Masters
0 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 3 14 Pete Gayde
1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 3 17 Dan Tilque
0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 7 Erland S
5 1 4 2 1 1 7 2 2 5 30 43%

Stephen takes a tough set in convincing fashion.

cheers,
calvin