QFTCIWSS Current Events 5-6

Mark Brader

Jun 26, 2018, 6:01:06 PM6/26/18
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
give the answers that were correct on that date.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of What She Said and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting of
other rounds. For further information see my 2017-09-25 companion
posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 5 (2018-06-18), Round 1 - Current Events

1. Over 600 migrants rescued by the MSF (Medicins Sans Frontières)
ship "Aquarius" found themselves stranded between Italy and
Malta in a dispute. A third country eventually accepted them.
Name that country.

2. After a 27-year-long dispute with Greece, the prime minister
of Macedonia -- which had adopted that name after declaring
independence from Yugoslavia in 1991 -- agreed to change its
name in accordance with Greek wishes. If the deal is ratified
(which is not certain), what will be the country's new name?

3. FIFA announced that the 2026 World Cup will be hosted jointly
by the US, Canada, and Mexico. Games are to be played in 17 US,
3 Canadian, and 3 Mexican cities. Name *two of the three*
Canadian cities.

4. This bank-robber-turned-novelist-turned-bank-robber-again
passed away this week in Victoria. He was a notorious member
of the Stopwatch Gang. Name him.

5. Beyonce and Jay-Z dropped a surprise joint album on Saturday
evening. The album's debut was accompanied by a video featuring
the couple in a famed Paris location. What location?

6. This Ottawa South MPP has been named interim leader of what's
left of the Ontario Liberal Party -- lucky them. Name the MPP.

7. In honor of Pride Month, Historica Canada released a new Heritage
Minute, featuring a pioneering activist from the Canadian LGBTQ
community. Name that activist.

8. A Toronto sports team won their championship this week.
Which team was it?

9. The Toronto Raptors announced this week that they had hired a
new head coach to replace the fired Dwane Casey. Who?

10. It was reported this week that a musician with the Toronto
Symphony Orchestra had successfully sued his ex-girlfriend
after discovering that she had forged a rejection letter
from the highly selective music program he had applied to.
*What instrument* does he play?

* Game 6 (2018-08-25), Round 1 - Current Events

1. In a federal byelection in Quebec this week, the Conservatives
gained a seat from the Liberals when former Junior A hockey
coach Richard Martel won. What riding was it?

2. The World Health Organization added a new mental disorder to
their official list this week. Name it.

3. This Ontario winemaker is facing numerous accusations of sexual
impropriety, and the Ontario and Quebec liquor boards have both
stopped selling his wines. Name him.

4. Blue Jays pitcher Robert Osuna, who is facing charges of domestic
assault, had his suspension from Major League Baseball extended
last week -- to how many games in total?

5. Westjet launched its discount subsidiary this week, with a maiden
flight from Hamilton ON to Abbotsford BC. Name the new airline.

6. "Project Patton" raids by Metro Police hauled in 70 members of
a west-end Toronto gang; the raids are expected to generate
over 1,000 charges. Name that gang.

7. The last remaining original company that was listed in the Dow
Jones Industrial Average was replaced this week by the Walgreen's
drug store chain. Which blue-chip company was replaced?

8. Among other odd things last week, Donald Trump proposed the
formation of a sixth branch of the US military. What did he
suggest should be created?

9. Koko the gorilla, famous for her intelligence and her use of sign
language to communicate, passed away last week. How old was she?

10. Overshadowed by the Cannabis Bill, Parliament also passed Bill
C-66 this week, which is especially significant considering it
is Pride Month. What does Bill C-66 do?

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Gur ynfg
dhrfgvba eryngrf gb pevzvany pbaivpgvbaf. Vs lbh tbg gung sne,
tb onpx vs arprffnel naq or fhssvpvragyl fcrpvsvp ba gur dhrfgvba
bs pbaivpgvbaf sbe jung.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "I don't know about your brain,
m...@vex.net | but mine is really bossy." -- Laurie Anderson

Jason Kreitzer

Jun 26, 2018, 6:27:32 PM6/26/18
Eifel Tower?
> 6. This Ottawa South MPP has been named interim leader of what's
> left of the Ontario Liberal Party -- lucky them. Name the MPP.
>
> 7. In honor of Pride Month, Historica Canada released a new Heritage
> Minute, featuring a pioneering activist from the Canadian LGBTQ
> community. Name that activist.
>
> 8. A Toronto sports team won their championship this week.
> Which team was it?
>
> 9. The Toronto Raptors announced this week that they had hired a
> new head coach to replace the fired Dwane Casey. Who?
>
> 10. It was reported this week that a musician with the Toronto
> Symphony Orchestra had successfully sued his ex-girlfriend
> after discovering that she had forged a rejection letter
> from the highly selective music program he had applied to.
> *What instrument* does he play?
>

> * Game 6 (2018-08-25), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. In a federal bye election in Quebec this week, the Conservatives
> gained a seat from the Liberals when former Junior A hockey
> coach Richard Martel won. What riding was it?
>
> 2. The World Health Organization added a new mental disorder to
> their official list this week. Name it.
>
> 3. This Ontario winemaker is facing numerous accusations of sexual
> impropriety, and the Ontario and Quebec liquor boards have both
> stopped selling his wines. Name him.
>
> 4. Blue Jays pitcher Robert Osuna, who is facing charges of domestic
> assault, had his suspension from Major League Baseball extended
> last week -- to how many games in total?
>
> 5. Westjet launched its discount subsidiary this week, with a maiden
> flight from Hamilton ON to Abbotsford BC. Name the new airline.
>
> 6. "Project Patton" raids by Metro Police hauled in 70 members of
> a west-end Toronto gang; the raids are expected to generate
> over 1,000 charges. Name that gang.
>
> 7. The last remaining original company that was listed in the Dow
> Jones Industrial Average was replaced this week by the Walgreen's
> drug store chain. Which blue-chip company was replaced?
>
> 8. Among other odd things last week, Donald Trump proposed the
> formation of a sixth branch of the US military. What did he
> suggest should be created?
>
> 9. Koko the gorilla, famous for her intelligence and her use of sign
> language to communicate, passed away last week. How old was she?
46

Pete Gayde

Jun 26, 2018, 6:50:46 PM6/26/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:M5adnS4PQvYAKq_GnZ2dnUU7-
avN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
> answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
> give the answers that were correct on that date.

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of What She Said and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting of
> other rounds. For further information see my 2017-09-25 companion
> posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 5 (2018-06-18), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Over 600 migrants rescued by the MSF (Medicins Sans Frontières)
> ship "Aquarius" found themselves stranded between Italy and
> Malta in a dispute. A third country eventually accepted them.
> Name that country.

Spain

> 2. After a 27-year-long dispute with Greece, the prime minister
> of Macedonia -- which had adopted that name after declaring
> independence from Yugoslavia in 1991 -- agreed to change its
> name in accordance with Greek wishes. If the deal is ratified
> (which is not certain), what will be the country's new name?

North Macedonia

> 3. FIFA announced that the 2026 World Cup will be hosted jointly
> by the US, Canada, and Mexico. Games are to be played in 17 US,
> 3 Canadian, and 3 Mexican cities. Name *two of the three*
> Canadian cities.

Toronto and Vancouver

> 4. This bank-robber-turned-novelist-turned-bank-robber-again
> passed away this week in Victoria. He was a notorious member
> of the Stopwatch Gang. Name him.
>
> 5. Beyonce and Jay-Z dropped a surprise joint album on Saturday
> evening. The album's debut was accompanied by a video featuring
> the couple in a famed Paris location. What location?

Eiffel Tower; Louvre

> 6. This Ottawa South MPP has been named interim leader of what's
> left of the Ontario Liberal Party -- lucky them. Name the MPP.
>
> 7. In honor of Pride Month, Historica Canada released a new Heritage
> Minute, featuring a pioneering activist from the Canadian LGBTQ
> community. Name that activist.
>
> 8. A Toronto sports team won their championship this week.
> Which team was it?

Toronto Marlboroughs

> 9. The Toronto Raptors announced this week that they had hired a
> new head coach to replace the fired Dwane Casey. Who?
>
> 10. It was reported this week that a musician with the Toronto
> Symphony Orchestra had successfully sued his ex-girlfriend
> after discovering that she had forged a rejection letter
> from the highly selective music program he had applied to.
> *What instrument* does he play?

Clarinet

> * Game 6 (2018-08-25), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. In a federal byelection in Quebec this week, the Conservatives
> gained a seat from the Liberals when former Junior A hockey
> coach Richard Martel won. What riding was it?
>
> 2. The World Health Organization added a new mental disorder to
> their official list this week. Name it.
>
> 3. This Ontario winemaker is facing numerous accusations of sexual
> impropriety, and the Ontario and Quebec liquor boards have both
> stopped selling his wines. Name him.
>
> 4. Blue Jays pitcher Robert Osuna, who is facing charges of domestic
> assault, had his suspension from Major League Baseball extended
> last week -- to how many games in total?

70

> 5. Westjet launched its discount subsidiary this week, with a maiden
> flight from Hamilton ON to Abbotsford BC. Name the new airline.
>
> 6. "Project Patton" raids by Metro Police hauled in 70 members of
> a west-end Toronto gang; the raids are expected to generate
> over 1,000 charges. Name that gang.

MS-13

> 7. The last remaining original company that was listed in the Dow
> Jones Industrial Average was replaced this week by the Walgreen's
> drug store chain. Which blue-chip company was replaced?

General Electric

> 8. Among other odd things last week, Donald Trump proposed the
> formation of a sixth branch of the US military. What did he
> suggest should be created?

Space Force

> 9. Koko the gorilla, famous for her intelligence and her use of sign
> language to communicate, passed away last week. How old was she?

40; 35

> 10. Overshadowed by the Cannabis Bill, Parliament also passed Bill
> C-66 this week, which is especially significant considering it
> is Pride Month. What does Bill C-66 do?

Approve Same-sex Marriage

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Gur ynfg
> dhrfgvba eryngrf gb pevzvany pbaivpgvbaf. Vs lbh tbg gung sne,
> tb onpx vs arprffnel naq or fhssvpvragyl fcrpvsvp ba gur dhrfgvba
> bs pbaivpgvbaf sbe jung.

Pete Gayde

Dan Blum

Jun 26, 2018, 8:09:33 PM6/26/18
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 5 (2018-06-18), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Over 600 migrants rescued by the MSF (Medicins Sans Fronti?res)
> ship "Aquarius" found themselves stranded between Italy and
> Malta in a dispute. A third country eventually accepted them.
> Name that country.

France; Spain

> 2. After a 27-year-long dispute with Greece, the prime minister
> of Macedonia -- which had adopted that name after declaring
> independence from Yugoslavia in 1991 -- agreed to change its
> name in accordance with Greek wishes. If the deal is ratified
> (which is not certain), what will be the country's new name?

North Macedonia

> 3. FIFA announced that the 2026 World Cup will be hosted jointly
> by the US, Canada, and Mexico. Games are to be played in 17 US,
> 3 Canadian, and 3 Mexican cities. Name *two of the three*
> Canadian cities.

Montreal and Vancouver

> 5. Beyonce and Jay-Z dropped a surprise joint album on Saturday
> evening. The album's debut was accompanied by a video featuring
> the couple in a famed Paris location. What location?

Louvre; Notre Dame

> 10. It was reported this week that a musician with the Toronto
> Symphony Orchestra had successfully sued his ex-girlfriend
> after discovering that she had forged a rejection letter
> from the highly selective music program he had applied to.
> *What instrument* does he play?

clarinet; piccolo

> * Game 6 (2018-08-25), Round 1 - Current Events

> 4. Blue Jays pitcher Robert Osuna, who is facing charges of domestic
> assault, had his suspension from Major League Baseball extended
> last week -- to how many games in total?

10; 20

> 8. Among other odd things last week, Donald Trump proposed the
> formation of a sixth branch of the US military. What did he
> suggest should be created?

Space Force

> 9. Koko the gorilla, famous for her intelligence and her use of sign
> language to communicate, passed away last week. How old was she?

46

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

Jun 26, 2018, 11:37:33 PM6/26/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:M5adnS4PQvYAKq_GnZ2dnUU7-
avN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 5 (2018-06-18), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 2. After a 27-year-long dispute with Greece, the prime minister
> of Macedonia -- which had adopted that name after declaring
> independence from Yugoslavia in 1991 -- agreed to change its
> name in accordance with Greek wishes. If the deal is ratified
> (which is not certain), what will be the country's new name?

Northern Macedonia

> 3. FIFA announced that the 2026 World Cup will be hosted jointly
> by the US, Canada, and Mexico. Games are to be played in 17 US,
> 3 Canadian, and 3 Mexican cities. Name *two of the three*
> Canadian cities.

Toronto and Montreal

> * Game 6 (2018-08-25), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 7. The last remaining original company that was listed in the Dow
> Jones Industrial Average was replaced this week by the Walgreen's
> drug store chain. Which blue-chip company was replaced?

General Electric

> 8. Among other odd things last week, Donald Trump proposed the
> formation of a sixth branch of the US military. What did he
> suggest should be created?

Space Force

> 9. Koko the gorilla, famous for her intelligence and her use of sign
> language to communicate, passed away last week. How old was she?

46; 48

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Peter Smyth

Jun 27, 2018, 6:09:35 AM6/27/18
North Macedonia
> 3. FIFA announced that the 2026 World Cup will be hosted jointly
> by the US, Canada, and Mexico. Games are to be played in 17 US,
> 3 Canadian, and 3 Mexican cities. Name *two of the three*
> Canadian cities.
Toronto, Montreal
> 4. This bank-robber-turned-novelist-turned-bank-robber-again
> passed away this week in Victoria. He was a notorious member
> of the Stopwatch Gang. Name him.
>
> 5. Beyonce and Jay-Z dropped a surprise joint album on Saturday
> evening. The album's debut was accompanied by a video featuring
> the couple in a famed Paris location. What location?
Eiffel Tower
> 6. This Ottawa South MPP has been named interim leader of what's
> left of the Ontario Liberal Party -- lucky them. Name the MPP.
>
> 7. In honor of Pride Month, Historica Canada released a new Heritage
> Minute, featuring a pioneering activist from the Canadian LGBTQ
> community. Name that activist.
>
> 8. A Toronto sports team won their championship this week.
> Which team was it?
Toronto FC
> 9. The Toronto Raptors announced this week that they had hired a
> new head coach to replace the fired Dwane Casey. Who?
>
> 10. It was reported this week that a musician with the Toronto
> Symphony Orchestra had successfully sued his ex-girlfriend
> after discovering that she had forged a rejection letter
> from the highly selective music program he had applied to.
> *What instrument* does he play?
Trumpet

> * Game 6 (2018-08-25), Round 1 - Current Events
Sounds more like Future Events?
> 1. In a federal byelection in Quebec this week, the Conservatives
> gained a seat from the Liberals when former Junior A hockey
> coach Richard Martel won. What riding was it?
>
> 2. The World Health Organization added a new mental disorder to
> their official list this week. Name it.
Gaming addiction
> 3. This Ontario winemaker is facing numerous accusations of sexual
> impropriety, and the Ontario and Quebec liquor boards have both
> stopped selling his wines. Name him.
>
> 4. Blue Jays pitcher Robert Osuna, who is facing charges of domestic
> assault, had his suspension from Major League Baseball extended
> last week -- to how many games in total?
20
> 5. Westjet launched its discount subsidiary this week, with a maiden
> flight from Hamilton ON to Abbotsford BC. Name the new airline.
>
> 6. "Project Patton" raids by Metro Police hauled in 70 members of
> a west-end Toronto gang; the raids are expected to generate
> over 1,000 charges. Name that gang.
>
> 7. The last remaining original company that was listed in the Dow
> Jones Industrial Average was replaced this week by the Walgreen's
> drug store chain. Which blue-chip company was replaced?
General Electric
> 8. Among other odd things last week, Donald Trump proposed the
> formation of a sixth branch of the US military. What did he
> suggest should be created?
Space Force
> 9. Koko the gorilla, famous for her intelligence and her use of sign
> language to communicate, passed away last week. How old was she?
35
> 10. Overshadowed by the Cannabis Bill, Parliament also passed Bill
> C-66 this week, which is especially significant considering it
> is Pride Month. What does Bill C-66 do?
>
> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: The last
> question relates to criminal convictions. If you got that far,
> of convictions for what.

Peter Smyth

Erland Sommarskog

Jun 27, 2018, 12:20:56 PM6/27/18
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 5 (2018-06-18), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Over 600 migrants rescued by the MSF (Medicins Sans Frontières)
> ship "Aquarius" found themselves stranded between Italy and
> Malta in a dispute. A third country eventually accepted them.
> Name that country.

Spain and France.

The question is somewhat unfortunately phrased. Spain accepted to
receive the ship, but France has agree to in its turn to receive
some of the refugees.

> 2. After a 27-year-long dispute with Greece, the prime minister
> of Macedonia -- which had adopted that name after declaring
> independence from Yugoslavia in 1991 -- agreed to change its
> name in accordance with Greek wishes. If the deal is ratified
> (which is not certain), what will be the country's new name?

North Macedonia

> 3. FIFA announced that the 2026 World Cup will be hosted jointly
> by the US, Canada, and Mexico. Games are to be played in 17 US,
> 3 Canadian, and 3 Mexican cities. Name *two of the three*
> Canadian cities.

Toronto, Montréal

> 5. Beyonce and Jay-Z dropped a surprise joint album on Saturday
> evening. The album's debut was accompanied by a video featuring
> the couple in a famed Paris location. What location?

Eifel Tower

> 10. It was reported this week that a musician with the Toronto
> Symphony Orchestra had successfully sued his ex-girlfriend
> after discovering that she had forged a rejection letter
> from the highly selective music program he had applied to.
> *What instrument* does he play?

Oboe

> * Game 6 (2018-08-25), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 2. The World Health Organization added a new mental disorder to
> their official list this week. Name it.

Addiction to social media

> 9. Koko the gorilla, famous for her intelligence and her use of sign
> language to communicate, passed away last week. How old was she?

72

Dan Tilque

Jun 27, 2018, 11:05:14 PM6/27/18
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5 (2018-06-18), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Over 600 migrants rescued by the MSF (Medicins Sans Frontières)
> ship "Aquarius" found themselves stranded between Italy and
> Malta in a dispute. A third country eventually accepted them.
> Name that country.

Spain

> 2. After a 27-year-long dispute with Greece, the prime minister
> of Macedonia -- which had adopted that name after declaring
> independence from Yugoslavia in 1991 -- agreed to change its
> name in accordance with Greek wishes. If the deal is ratified
> (which is not certain), what will be the country's new name?
>
> 3. FIFA announced that the 2026 World Cup will be hosted jointly
> by the US, Canada, and Mexico. Games are to be played in 17 US,
> 3 Canadian, and 3 Mexican cities. Name *two of the three*
> Canadian cities.

Montreal, Toronto
gaming addiction

> 3. This Ontario winemaker is facing numerous accusations of sexual
> impropriety, and the Ontario and Quebec liquor boards have both
> stopped selling his wines. Name him.
>
> 4. Blue Jays pitcher Robert Osuna, who is facing charges of domestic
> assault, had his suspension from Major League Baseball extended
> last week -- to how many games in total?
>
> 5. Westjet launched its discount subsidiary this week, with a maiden
> flight from Hamilton ON to Abbotsford BC. Name the new airline.
>
> 6. "Project Patton" raids by Metro Police hauled in 70 members of
> a west-end Toronto gang; the raids are expected to generate
> over 1,000 charges. Name that gang.
>
> 7. The last remaining original company that was listed in the Dow
> Jones Industrial Average was replaced this week by the Walgreen's
> drug store chain. Which blue-chip company was replaced?

General Electric

> 8. Among other odd things last week, Donald Trump proposed the
> formation of a sixth branch of the US military. What did he
> suggest should be created?

US Space Force

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Jun 29, 2018, 5:41:44 PM6/29/18
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the
> dates indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly.
> If any answers have changed due to newer news, you are still
> expected to give the answers that were correct on that date...
> For further information see my 2017-09-25 companion posting on
> "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 5 (2018-06-18), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Over 600 migrants rescued by the MSF (Medicins Sans Frontières)
> ship "Aquarius" found themselves stranded between Italy and
> Malta in a dispute. A third country eventually accepted them.
> Name that country.

As Erland put it: "The question is somewhat unfortunately phrased.
Spain accepted to receive the ship, but France has agreed to in its
turn to receive some of the refugees." The French announcement was
on 2018-06-16, so it is not "newer news" within the terms of QFTCI
current events, and I am accepting either or both countries.

So, 4 for Pete, Dan Blum (the hard way), Erland (the hard way),
and Dan Tilque.

> 2. After a 27-year-long dispute with Greece, the prime minister
> of Macedonia -- which had adopted that name after declaring
> independence from Yugoslavia in 1991 -- agreed to change its
> name in accordance with Greek wishes. If the deal is ratified
> (which is not certain), what will be the country's new name?

North (accepting Northern) Macedonia. 4 for Pete, Dan Blum, Joshua,
Peter, and Erland.

> 3. FIFA announced that the 2026 World Cup will be hosted jointly
> by the US, Canada, and Mexico. Games are to be played in 17 US,
> 3 Canadian, and 3 Mexican cities. Name *two of the three*
> Canadian cities.

Edmonton, Montreal, Toronto. 4 for Joshua, Peter, Erland,
and Dan Tilque.

> 4. This bank-robber-turned-novelist-turned-bank-robber-again
> passed away this week in Victoria. He was a notorious member
> of the Stopwatch Gang. Name him.

Stephen Reid.

> 5. Beyonce and Jay-Z dropped a surprise joint album on Saturday
> evening. The album's debut was accompanied by a video featuring
> the couple in a famed Paris location. What location?

The Louvre. 3 for Dan Blum. 2 for Pete.

> 6. This Ottawa South MPP has been named interim leader of what's
> left of the Ontario Liberal Party -- lucky them. Name the MPP.

John Fraser.

> 7. In honor of Pride Month, Historica Canada released a new Heritage
> Minute, featuring a pioneering activist from the Canadian LGBTQ
> community. Name that activist.

Jim Egan.

> 8. A Toronto sports team won their championship this week.
> Which team was it?

Toronto Marlies.

The Marlies are a minor-league professional team playing in the
American Hockey League. They took their name from Toronto's former
junior team [i.e. amateurs aged 16-21], the Toronto Marlboroughs,
who were nicknamed the Marlboros or Marlies. That team folded in
1989 but its minor [i.e. amateurs under 16] affiliate of the same
name (now spelled Marboros) still operates, so I am not accepting
"Toronto Marlboroughs" as an answer.

> 9. The Toronto Raptors announced this week that they had hired a
> new head coach to replace the fired Dwane Casey. Who?

Nick Nurse.

> 10. It was reported this week that a musician with the Toronto
> Symphony Orchestra had successfully sued his ex-girlfriend
> after discovering that she had forged a rejection letter
> from the highly selective music program he had applied to.
> *What instrument* does he play?

Clarinet. 4 for Pete. 3 for Dan Blum.

> * Game 6 (2018-08-25), Round 1 - Current Events

(Ahhhh, would you believe 2018-06-25?)

> 1. In a federal byelection in Quebec this week, the Conservatives
> gained a seat from the Liberals when former Junior A hockey
> coach Richard Martel won. What riding was it?

Chicoutimi -- Le Fjord.

> 2. The World Health Organization added a new mental disorder to
> their official list this week. Name it.

Gaming disorder (video-game addiction). 4 for Peter and Dan Tilque.

> 3. This Ontario winemaker is facing numerous accusations of sexual
> impropriety, and the Ontario and Quebec liquor boards have both
> stopped selling his wines. Name him.

Norman Hardie.

> 4. Blue Jays pitcher Robert Osuna, who is facing charges of domestic
> assault, had his suspension from Major League Baseball extended
> last week -- to how many games in total?

75.

> 5. Westjet launched its discount subsidiary this week, with a maiden
> flight from Hamilton ON to Abbotsford BC. Name the new airline.

Swoop.

> 6. "Project Patton" raids by Metro Police hauled in 70 members of
> a west-end Toronto gang; the raids are expected to generate
> over 1,000 charges. Name that gang.

Five Pointz Generals (full answer required).

> 7. The last remaining original company that was listed in the Dow
> Jones Industrial Average was replaced this week by the Walgreen's
> drug store chain. Which blue-chip company was replaced?

General Electric ("GE" was sufficient). 4 for Pete, Joshua, Peter,
and Dan Tilque.

> 8. Among other odd things last week, Donald Trump proposed the
> formation of a sixth branch of the US military. What did he
> suggest should be created?

A Space Force. 4 for Pete, Dan Blum, Joshua, Peter, and Dan Tilque.

> 9. Koko the gorilla, famous for her intelligence and her use of sign
> language to communicate, passed away last week. How old was she?

46. 4 for Jason, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Joshua.

> 10. Overshadowed by the Cannabis Bill, Parliament also passed Bill
> C-66 this week, which is especially significant considering it
> is Pride Month. What does Bill C-66 do?

Expunges records of convictions for homosexual acts before 1969 when
they were legalized.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAMES-> 1 2 3 4 5 6 BEST FOUR
Pete Gayde 0 12 16 24 14 8 66
Dan Blum 6 20 12 8 14 8 54
Joshua Kreitzer 8 16 12 12 8 11 51
Dan Tilque 4 4 8 8 8 16 40
Peter Smyth 4 8 8 4 8 12 36
Erland Sommarskog 4 4 8 12 12 0 36
Jason Kreitzer 0 8 4 4 0 4 20

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Courtesy, hell. We're programmers not humans."
m...@vex.net | -- S. M. Ryan