Rotating Quiz #203

Mark Brader

Nov 17, 2015, 11:36:29 PM11/17/15
This is Rotating Quiz #203.

My thanks to Stephen Perry for running RQ 202 and for writing a
contest that would have allowed me to win honestly, even without
his having used two of the questions I'd just posted in QFTCI.
The winner of RQ 203, in turn, will be the first choice to set
RQ 204, in whatever manner they prefer.

Please answer these questions based only on your own knowledge;
put all of your answers in a single posting, quoting the question
before each one. I think there are some questions where, if you
don't know them, you may still be able to guess correctly by the
time you finish the rest. Good luck with that; and have fun.

Answer slates must be posted by Monday, November 23 (by Toronto
time, zone -5), which gives you 6 days and some minutes from the
time of posting.

This quiz will be scored out of 20. Questions #1-17 all have
1-word answers and are worth 1 point each -- except for #6, which
requires 2 names and each one is worth a point. Question #18
is also 2 points, all or nothing. In case of a tie, the first
tiebreaker is who scored on the hardest questions; the second
tiebreaker is correct form, such as spelling and capitalization;
and the third tiebreaker is who posted first.

* Ancient Gods of War

1. Name the ancient Roman god of war.
2. Name the ancient Greek god of war.

* Other Things in Ancient Greece and Rome

3. In the monumental architecture developed in Greece, there
were three major styles of stone columns that might appear
(say) across the front of a building to support a portico.
The simplest was Doric:

http://0.tqn.com/d/architecture/1/S/g/y/Doric-Column.jpg

and the most ornate, not to say florid, was Corinthian:

http://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3069/3096830506_dfd4329763.jpg

What was the other style, the one of intermediate ornateness?

4. When the Roman Empire was divided permanently into two parts,
the capital city of one part remained in what is now Italy.
Name the modern-day *country* where the capital of the other
part was located.

* Oscar-Winning Actresses

5. This actress's first name honors a department store building
in Cleveland. She has appeared in several superhero movies
and a James Bond movie, but her Oscar win was for a 2001 drama.
Give her last name.

6. The stage name of this actress combines the surnames of two
generals from the US Civil War. Her Oscar was for a supporting
role in a 1975 comedy-drama. Give her stage name -- first *and*
last name.

* French-Speaking Places

7. What is the principal river of the region known as the
Île-de-France?

8. The French city of Cannes lies on the Mediterranean coast about
30 miles (50 km) from the border with Italy. What well-known
city is on the coast halfway between those points?

* Other Places

9. Speaking of ports, what is the principal port city of Alabama?

10. Consider areas that are both within a single country and within
a single time zone; for example, "the part of the Eastern Time
zone that is in Canada". In the whole world, obviously there
must be one such area with the largest population. Never mind
the time zone, but what *country* is it in?

* World War II

11. During the war it was vital to the Allies to rapidly
and reliably decode German messages enciphered using the
Enigma machine. Alan Turing has become justly famous for
his contributions to this then-secret work, but he was not
the first man to find a method of decoding Enigma messages;
Marian Rejewski was. What was *his* nationality?

12. This German company produced a variety of military aircraft,
most notably including a conventional bomber, the 88, and
a dive bomber, the 87 or Stuka. What company? The name is
usually shortened to its first word, so just give that word.

* Trains

13. One of the problems with making a really large steam locomotive
was that, to get enough traction, plenty of driving wheels
were needed. But steam at high pressure from the boiler had
to get to the cylinders. This was easily done by sending it
through heavy pipes. But in that case, it followed that the
cylinders and the boiler had to be rigidly mounted to the same
frame -- and therefore, so also did all the driving wheels.
This created a long rigid wheelbase

http://www.aqpl43.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/russ/aa20.jpg

that, in turn (no pun intended), made it hard to go around curves.

On some of the largest steam engines this problem was avoided by
using flexible joints that could take the necessary pressure of
steam. In this way the locomotive could be "articulated", with
separate cylinders powering two separate sets of driving wheels.

In the US, articulated locomotives typically had the rear set
of driving wheels fixed to the frame, with only the front set
moving sideways on curves, as seen here:

http://www.railpictures.net/images/d2/3/4/0/3340.1431469099.jpg
http://www.museumoftheamericanrailroad.org/portals/0/Big_Boy_4018_Exercise_6_9_2013%20%2816%29_350px.jpg

Locomotives articulated in this specific way were known by the
last name of their inventor. What name?

(Okay, to be exact, in some people's usage the inventor's name
was only used if they were compound locomotives -- i.e. if the
same steam was used successively in both sets of cylinders.
But these people just called the other ones "articulated",
so for purposes of this question they can be ignored.)

14. In the classic American version of Monopoly from Parker Bros.,
if you roll 5 on your first turn you will reach a railroad,
one that existed in real life when the game was first published.
Its name is often shortened to a single word, which is a city it
served, today with a population of about 88,000. Give that name.

* History

15. During the French Revolution, a new calendar was adopted,
with a new date for starting the year, a new numbering of the
years starting fresh from 1, and 12 new names for the new months.
Maybe it would have stuck if they hadn't also decided that the
new week should be a metric one -- with 9 working days in each
new-style 10-day week.

Anyway, *during what month of our calendar* was the end of
their month of Floréal and the start of the next one, Prairial?

16. In 1978 the leaders of Israel and Egypt met in the US and
negotiated a peace treaty, for which they promptly won the
Nobel Prize. Give the last name of that Israeli prime minister.

* The Last Questions

17. In what play does the title character announce his choice of
successor by declaring, "But I do prophesy the election lights
on Fortinbras: he has my dying voice"?

18. What should you have noticed about answers #1-17?

--
Mark Brader | "For the stronger we our houses do build,
Toronto | The less chance we have of being killed."

Dan Blum

Nov 18, 2015, 12:31:10 AM11/18/15
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Ancient Gods of War

> 1. Name the ancient Roman god of war.

Mars

> 2. Name the ancient Greek god of war.

Ares

> * Other Things in Ancient Greece and Rome

> 3. In the monumental architecture developed in Greece, there
> were three major styles of stone columns that might appear
> (say) across the front of a building to support a portico.
> The simplest was Doric:

> http://0.tqn.com/d/architecture/1/S/g/y/Doric-Column.jpg

> and the most ornate, not to say florid, was Corinthian:

> http://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3069/3096830506_dfd4329763.jpg

> What was the other style, the one of intermediate ornateness?

Ionian

> 4. When the Roman Empire was divided permanently into two parts,
> the capital city of one part remained in what is now Italy.
> Name the modern-day *country* where the capital of the other
> part was located.

Turkey

> * Oscar-Winning Actresses

> 5. This actress's first name honors a department store building
> in Cleveland. She has appeared in several superhero movies
> and a James Bond movie, but her Oscar win was for a 2001 drama.
> Give her last name.

Berry

> 6. The stage name of this actress combines the surnames of two
> generals from the US Civil War. Her Oscar was for a supporting
> role in a 1975 comedy-drama. Give her stage name -- first *and*
> last name.

Lee Grant

> * French-Speaking Places

> 7. What is the principal river of the region known as the
> ?le-de-France?

Seine

> 8. The French city of Cannes lies on the Mediterranean coast about
> 30 miles (50 km) from the border with Italy. What well-known
> city is on the coast halfway between those points?

Nice

> * Other Places

> 9. Speaking of ports, what is the principal port city of Alabama?

Mobile

> 10. Consider areas that are both within a single country and within
> a single time zone; for example, "the part of the Eastern Time
> zone that is in Canada". In the whole world, obviously there
> must be one such area with the largest population. Never mind
> the time zone, but what *country* is it in?

India

> * World War II

> 11. During the war it was vital to the Allies to rapidly
> and reliably decode German messages enciphered using the
> Enigma machine. Alan Turing has become justly famous for
> his contributions to this then-secret work, but he was not
> the first man to find a method of decoding Enigma messages;
> Marian Rejewski was. What was *his* nationality?

Polish

> 12. This German company produced a variety of military aircraft,
> most notably including a conventional bomber, the 88, and
> a dive bomber, the 87 or Stuka. What company? The name is
> usually shortened to its first word, so just give that word.

Fokker

> * Trains

> 14. In the classic American version of Monopoly from Parker Bros.,
> if you roll 5 on your first turn you will reach a railroad,
> one that existed in real life when the game was first published.
> Its name is often shortened to a single word, which is a city it
> served, today with a population of about 88,000. Give that name.

Reading

> * History

> 15. During the French Revolution, a new calendar was adopted,
> with a new date for starting the year, a new numbering of the
> years starting fresh from 1, and 12 new names for the new months.
> Maybe it would have stuck if they hadn't also decided that the
> new week should be a metric one -- with 9 working days in each
> new-style 10-day week.

> Anyway, *during what month of our calendar* was the end of
> their month of Flor?al and the start of the next one, Prairial?

May

> 16. In 1978 the leaders of Israel and Egypt met in the US and
> negotiated a peace treaty, for which they promptly won the
> Nobel Prize. Give the last name of that Israeli prime minister.

Begin

> * The Last Questions

> 17. In what play does the title character announce his choice of
> successor by declaring, "But I do prophesy the election lights
> on Fortinbras: he has my dying voice"?

Hamlet

> 18. What should you have noticed about answers #1-17?

Many of them have different meanings when not capitalized, but that
is presumably not it since I am pretty confident about some answers
of which that is not true.

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

Nov 18, 2015, 3:01:43 AM11/18/15
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 1. Name the ancient Roman god of war.

Mars

> 2. Name the ancient Greek god of war.

Apollon

> 4. When the Roman Empire was divided permanently into two parts,
> the capital city of one part remained in what is now Italy.
> Name the modern-day *country* where the capital of the other
> part was located.

Turkey

> * French-Speaking Places
>
> 7. What is the principal river of the region known as the
> Île-de-France?

Seine

> 8. The French city of Cannes lies on the Mediterranean coast about
> 30 miles (50 km) from the border with Italy. What well-known
> city is on the coast halfway between those points?

Nice

> 10. Consider areas that are both within a single country and within
> a single time zone; for example, "the part of the Eastern Time
> zone that is in Canada". In the whole world, obviously there
> must be one such area with the largest population. Never mind
> the time zone, but what *country* is it in?

China

> 11. During the war it was vital to the Allies to rapidly
> and reliably decode German messages enciphered using the
> Enigma machine. Alan Turing has become justly famous for
> his contributions to this then-secret work, but he was not
> the first man to find a method of decoding Enigma messages;
> Marian Rejewski was. What was *his* nationality?

Polish

> 12. This German company produced a variety of military aircraft,
> most notably including a conventional bomber, the 88, and
> a dive bomber, the 87 or Stuka. What company? The name is
> usually shortened to its first word, so just give that word.

Bosch

> 14. In the classic American version of Monopoly from Parker Bros.,
> if you roll 5 on your first turn you will reach a railroad,
> one that existed in real life when the game was first published.
> Its name is often shortened to a single word, which is a city it
> served, today with a population of about 88,000. Give that name.

Trenton

> 15. During the French Revolution, a new calendar was adopted,
> with a new date for starting the year, a new numbering of the
> years starting fresh from 1, and 12 new names for the new months.
> Maybe it would have stuck if they hadn't also decided that the
> new week should be a metric one -- with 9 working days in each
> new-style 10-day week.
>
> Anyway, *during what month of our calendar* was the end of
> their month of Floréal and the start of the next one, Prairial?

May

> 16. In 1978 the leaders of Israel and Egypt met in the US and
> negotiated a peace treaty, for which they promptly won the
> Nobel Prize. Give the last name of that Israeli prime minister.

Begin

> 17. In what play does the title character announce his choice of
> successor by declaring, "But I do prophesy the election lights
> on Fortinbras: he has my dying voice"?

Macbeth

Marc Dashevsky

Nov 18, 2015, 10:12:32 AM11/18/15
In article <SKednYpZF5bRndHL...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...

> This is Rotating Quiz #203.
>

> My thanks to Stephen Perry for running RQ 202 and for writing a
> contest that would have allowed me to win honestly, even without
> his having used two of the questions I'd just posted in QFTCI.
> The winner of RQ 203, in turn, will be the first choice to set
> RQ 204, in whatever manner they prefer.
>
> Please answer these questions based only on your own knowledge;
> put all of your answers in a single posting, quoting the question
> before each one. I think there are some questions where, if you
> don't know them, you may still be able to guess correctly by the
> time you finish the rest. Good luck with that; and have fun.
>
> Answer slates must be posted by Monday, November 23 (by Toronto
> time, zone -5), which gives you 6 days and some minutes from the
> time of posting.
>

> This quiz will be scored out of 20. Questions #1-17 all have
> 1-word answers and are worth 1 point each -- except for #6, which
> requires 2 names and each one is worth a point. Question #18
> is also 2 points, all or nothing. In case of a tie, the first
> tiebreaker is who scored on the hardest questions; the second
> tiebreaker is correct form, such as spelling and capitalization;
> and the third tiebreaker is who posted first.
>

> * Ancient Gods of War
>
> 1. Name the ancient Roman god of war.
Mars

> 2. Name the ancient Greek god of war.
Ares

> * Other Things in Ancient Greece and Rome
>
> 3. In the monumental architecture developed in Greece, there
> were three major styles of stone columns that might appear
> (say) across the front of a building to support a portico.
> The simplest was Doric:
>
> http://0.tqn.com/d/architecture/1/S/g/y/Doric-Column.jpg
>
> and the most ornate, not to say florid, was Corinthian:
>
> http://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3069/3096830506_dfd4329763.jpg
>
> What was the other style, the one of intermediate ornateness?
Ionic

> 4. When the Roman Empire was divided permanently into two parts,
> the capital city of one part remained in what is now Italy.
> Name the modern-day *country* where the capital of the other
> part was located.
Turkey

> * Oscar-Winning Actresses
>
> 5. This actress's first name honors a department store building
> in Cleveland. She has appeared in several superhero movies
> and a James Bond movie, but her Oscar win was for a 2001 drama.
> Give her last name.
Berry

> 6. The stage name of this actress combines the surnames of two
> generals from the US Civil War. Her Oscar was for a supporting
> role in a 1975 comedy-drama. Give her stage name -- first *and*
> last name.
Lee Grant

> * French-Speaking Places
>
> 7. What is the principal river of the region known as the
> Île-de-France?
Seine

> 8. The French city of Cannes lies on the Mediterranean coast about
> 30 miles (50 km) from the border with Italy. What well-known
> city is on the coast halfway between those points?
Nice (via theme)

> * Other Places
>
> 9. Speaking of ports, what is the principal port city of Alabama?
Mobile

> 10. Consider areas that are both within a single country and within
> a single time zone; for example, "the part of the Eastern Time
> zone that is in Canada". In the whole world, obviously there
> must be one such area with the largest population. Never mind
> the time zone, but what *country* is it in?
China (via theme)

> * World War II
>
> 11. During the war it was vital to the Allies to rapidly
> and reliably decode German messages enciphered using the
> Enigma machine. Alan Turing has become justly famous for
> his contributions to this then-secret work, but he was not
> the first man to find a method of decoding Enigma messages;
> Marian Rejewski was. What was *his* nationality?
Polish
Reading

> * History
>
> 15. During the French Revolution, a new calendar was adopted,
> with a new date for starting the year, a new numbering of the
> years starting fresh from 1, and 12 new names for the new months.
> Maybe it would have stuck if they hadn't also decided that the
> new week should be a metric one -- with 9 working days in each
> new-style 10-day week.
>
> Anyway, *during what month of our calendar* was the end of
> their month of Floréal and the start of the next one, Prairial?
March (via theme, otherwise I would have answered "July")

> 16. In 1978 the leaders of Israel and Egypt met in the US and
> negotiated a peace treaty, for which they promptly won the
> Nobel Prize. Give the last name of that Israeli prime minister.
Begin

> * The Last Questions
>
> 17. In what play does the title character announce his choice of
> successor by declaring, "But I do prophesy the election lights
> on Fortinbras: he has my dying voice"?
Hamlet (via theme)

> 18. What should you have noticed about answers #1-17?
Besides the meaning that satisfies the question,
the answers are also common English words.

Peter Smyth

Nov 18, 2015, 4:27:08 PM11/18/15
Mark Brader wrote:

> This is Rotating Quiz #203.
>

> My thanks to Stephen Perry for running RQ 202 and for writing a
> contest that would have allowed me to win honestly, even without
> his having used two of the questions I'd just posted in QFTCI.
> The winner of RQ 203, in turn, will be the first choice to set
> RQ 204, in whatever manner they prefer.
>
> Please answer these questions based only on your own knowledge;
> put all of your answers in a single posting, quoting the question
> before each one. I think there are some questions where, if you
> don't know them, you may still be able to guess correctly by the
> time you finish the rest. Good luck with that; and have fun.
>
> Answer slates must be posted by Monday, November 23 (by Toronto
> time, zone -5), which gives you 6 days and some minutes from the
> time of posting.
>

> This quiz will be scored out of 20. Questions #1-17 all have
> 1-word answers and are worth 1 point each -- except for #6, which
> requires 2 names and each one is worth a point. Question #18
> is also 2 points, all or nothing. In case of a tie, the first
> tiebreaker is who scored on the hardest questions; the second
> tiebreaker is correct form, such as spelling and capitalization;
> and the third tiebreaker is who posted first.
>

> * Ancient Gods of War
>
> 1. Name the ancient Roman god of war.
Mars
> 2. Name the ancient Greek god of war.
Ares

> * Other Things in Ancient Greece and Rome
>
> 3. In the monumental architecture developed in Greece, there
> were three major styles of stone columns that might appear
> (say) across the front of a building to support a portico.
> The simplest was Doric:
>
> http://0.tqn.com/d/architecture/1/S/g/y/Doric-Column.jpg
>
> and the most ornate, not to say florid, was Corinthian:
>
> http://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3069/3096830506_dfd4329763.jpg
>
> What was the other style, the one of intermediate ornateness?
>
> 4. When the Roman Empire was divided permanently into two parts,
> the capital city of one part remained in what is now Italy.
> Name the modern-day country where the capital of the other
> part was located.
Turkey

> * Oscar-Winning Actresses
>
> 5. This actress's first name honors a department store building
> in Cleveland. She has appeared in several superhero movies
> and a James Bond movie, but her Oscar win was for a 2001 drama.
> Give her last name.
>
> 6. The stage name of this actress combines the surnames of two
> generals from the US Civil War. Her Oscar was for a supporting
> role in a 1975 comedy-drama. Give her stage name -- first and
> last name.
>

> * French-Speaking Places
>
> 7. What is the principal river of the region known as the
> Île-de-France?
Seine
> 8. The French city of Cannes lies on the Mediterranean coast about
> 30 miles (50 km) from the border with Italy. What well-known
> city is on the coast halfway between those points?
Monaco

> * Other Places
>
> 9. Speaking of ports, what is the principal port city of Alabama?
Montgomery
> 10. Consider areas that are both within a single country and within
> a single time zone; for example, "the part of the Eastern Time
> zone that is in Canada". In the whole world, obviously there
> must be one such area with the largest population. Never mind
> the time zone, but what country is it in?
China

> * World War II
>
> 11. During the war it was vital to the Allies to rapidly
> and reliably decode German messages enciphered using the
> Enigma machine. Alan Turing has become justly famous for
> his contributions to this then-secret work, but he was not
> the first man to find a method of decoding Enigma messages;
> Marian Rejewski was. What was his nationality?
Polish
> 12. This German company produced a variety of military aircraft,
> most notably including a conventional bomber, the 88, and
> a dive bomber, the 87 or Stuka. What company? The name is
> usually shortened to its first word, so just give that word.
Messerschmidt
Baltimore

> * History
>
> 15. During the French Revolution, a new calendar was adopted,
> with a new date for starting the year, a new numbering of the
> years starting fresh from 1, and 12 new names for the new months.
> Maybe it would have stuck if they hadn't also decided that the
> new week should be a metric one -- with 9 working days in each
> new-style 10-day week.
>
> Anyway, *during what month of our calendar* was the end of
> their month of Floréal and the start of the next one, Prairial?
>
> 16. In 1978 the leaders of Israel and Egypt met in the US and
> negotiated a peace treaty, for which they promptly won the
> Nobel Prize. Give the last name of that Israeli prime minister.
Rabin

> * The Last Questions
>
> 17. In what play does the title character announce his choice of
> successor by declaring, "But I do prophesy the election lights
> on Fortinbras: he has my dying voice"?
>
> 18. What should you have noticed about answers #1-17?

Peter Smyth

Dan Tilque

Nov 19, 2015, 5:01:51 AM11/19/15
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Ancient Gods of War
>
> 1. Name the ancient Roman god of war.

Mars

> 2. Name the ancient Greek god of war.

Ares

> * Other Things in Ancient Greece and Rome
>
> 3. In the monumental architecture developed in Greece, there
> were three major styles of stone columns that might appear
> (say) across the front of a building to support a portico.
> The simplest was Doric:
>
> http://0.tqn.com/d/architecture/1/S/g/y/Doric-Column.jpg
>
> and the most ornate, not to say florid, was Corinthian:
>
> http://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3069/3096830506_dfd4329763.jpg
>
> What was the other style, the one of intermediate ornateness?

Ionic

> 4. When the Roman Empire was divided permanently into two parts,
> the capital city of one part remained in what is now Italy.
> Name the modern-day *country* where the capital of the other
> part was located.

Turkey

> * Oscar-Winning Actresses
>
> 5. This actress's first name honors a department store building
> in Cleveland. She has appeared in several superhero movies
> and a James Bond movie, but her Oscar win was for a 2001 drama.
> Give her last name.
>
> 6. The stage name of this actress combines the surnames of two
> generals from the US Civil War. Her Oscar was for a supporting
> role in a 1975 comedy-drama. Give her stage name -- first *and*
> last name.

Lee Grant

> * French-Speaking Places
>
> 7. What is the principal river of the region known as the
> Île-de-France?

Seine

> 8. The French city of Cannes lies on the Mediterranean coast about
> 30 miles (50 km) from the border with Italy. What well-known
> city is on the coast halfway between those points?

Nice

> * Other Places
>
> 9. Speaking of ports, what is the principal port city of Alabama?

Mobile

> 10. Consider areas that are both within a single country and within
> a single time zone; for example, "the part of the Eastern Time
> zone that is in Canada". In the whole world, obviously there
> must be one such area with the largest population. Never mind
> the time zone, but what *country* is it in?

China

> * World War II
>
> 11. During the war it was vital to the Allies to rapidly
> and reliably decode German messages enciphered using the
> Enigma machine. Alan Turing has become justly famous for
> his contributions to this then-secret work, but he was not
> the first man to find a method of decoding Enigma messages;
> Marian Rejewski was. What was *his* nationality?

Polish
Reading

> * History
>
> 15. During the French Revolution, a new calendar was adopted,
> with a new date for starting the year, a new numbering of the
> years starting fresh from 1, and 12 new names for the new months.
> Maybe it would have stuck if they hadn't also decided that the
> new week should be a metric one -- with 9 working days in each
> new-style 10-day week.
>
> Anyway, *during what month of our calendar* was the end of
> their month of Floréal and the start of the next one, Prairial?

May

> 16. In 1978 the leaders of Israel and Egypt met in the US and
> negotiated a peace treaty, for which they promptly won the
> Nobel Prize. Give the last name of that Israeli prime minister.

Begin

> * The Last Questions
>
> 17. In what play does the title character announce his choice of
> successor by declaring, "But I do prophesy the election lights
> on Fortinbras: he has my dying voice"?

Hamlet

> 18. What should you have noticed about answers #1-17?

They're all proper nouns that are spelled the same as common words.
Some are pronounced differently, thus making them Capitonyms.

--
Dan Tilque

Pete

Nov 19, 2015, 3:41:01 PM11/19/15
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in

> This is Rotating Quiz #203.
>

> My thanks to Stephen Perry for running RQ 202 and for writing a
> contest that would have allowed me to win honestly, even without
> his having used two of the questions I'd just posted in QFTCI.
> The winner of RQ 203, in turn, will be the first choice to set
> RQ 204, in whatever manner they prefer.
>
> Please answer these questions based only on your own knowledge;
> put all of your answers in a single posting, quoting the question
> before each one. I think there are some questions where, if you
> don't know them, you may still be able to guess correctly by the
> time you finish the rest. Good luck with that; and have fun.
>
> Answer slates must be posted by Monday, November 23 (by Toronto
> time, zone -5), which gives you 6 days and some minutes from the
> time of posting.
>

> This quiz will be scored out of 20. Questions #1-17 all have
> 1-word answers and are worth 1 point each -- except for #6, which
> requires 2 names and each one is worth a point. Question #18
> is also 2 points, all or nothing. In case of a tie, the first
> tiebreaker is who scored on the hardest questions; the second
> tiebreaker is correct form, such as spelling and capitalization;
> and the third tiebreaker is who posted first.
>

> * Ancient Gods of War
>
> 1. Name the ancient Roman god of war.

Mars

> 2. Name the ancient Greek god of war.

Ares

> * Other Things in Ancient Greece and Rome
>
> 3. In the monumental architecture developed in Greece, there
> were three major styles of stone columns that might appear
> (say) across the front of a building to support a portico.
> The simplest was Doric:
>
> http://0.tqn.com/d/architecture/1/S/g/y/Doric-Column.jpg
>
> and the most ornate, not to say florid, was Corinthian:
>
> http://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3069/3096830506_dfd4329763.jpg
>
> What was the other style, the one of intermediate ornateness?

Ionic

> 4. When the Roman Empire was divided permanently into two parts,
> the capital city of one part remained in what is now Italy.
> Name the modern-day *country* where the capital of the other
> part was located.

Turkey

> * Oscar-Winning Actresses
>
> 5. This actress's first name honors a department store building
> in Cleveland. She has appeared in several superhero movies
> and a James Bond movie, but her Oscar win was for a 2001 drama.
> Give her last name.

Berry

> 6. The stage name of this actress combines the surnames of two
> generals from the US Civil War. Her Oscar was for a supporting
> role in a 1975 comedy-drama. Give her stage name -- first *and*
> last name.

Lee Grant

> * French-Speaking Places
>
> 7. What is the principal river of the region known as the
> Île-de-France?

Seine

> 8. The French city of Cannes lies on the Mediterranean coast about
> 30 miles (50 km) from the border with Italy. What well-known
> city is on the coast halfway between those points?

Monaco

> * Other Places
>
> 9. Speaking of ports, what is the principal port city of Alabama?

Mobile

> 10. Consider areas that are both within a single country and within
> a single time zone; for example, "the part of the Eastern Time
> zone that is in Canada". In the whole world, obviously there
> must be one such area with the largest population. Never mind
> the time zone, but what *country* is it in?

China

> * World War II
>
> 11. During the war it was vital to the Allies to rapidly
> and reliably decode German messages enciphered using the
> Enigma machine. Alan Turing has become justly famous for
> his contributions to this then-secret work, but he was not
> the first man to find a method of decoding Enigma messages;
> Marian Rejewski was. What was *his* nationality?

Polish

> 12. This German company produced a variety of military aircraft,
> most notably including a conventional bomber, the 88, and
> a dive bomber, the 87 or Stuka. What company? The name is
> usually shortened to its first word, so just give that word.

Messerschmidt
Reading

> * History
>
> 15. During the French Revolution, a new calendar was adopted,
> with a new date for starting the year, a new numbering of the
> years starting fresh from 1, and 12 new names for the new months.
> Maybe it would have stuck if they hadn't also decided that the
> new week should be a metric one -- with 9 working days in each
> new-style 10-day week.
>
> Anyway, *during what month of our calendar* was the end of
> their month of Floréal and the start of the next one, Prairial?
>
> 16. In 1978 the leaders of Israel and Egypt met in the US and
> negotiated a peace treaty, for which they promptly won the
> Nobel Prize. Give the last name of that Israeli prime minister.

Begin

> * The Last Questions
>
> 17. In what play does the title character announce his choice of
> successor by declaring, "But I do prophesy the election lights
> on Fortinbras: he has my dying voice"?
>
> 18. What should you have noticed about answers #1-17?

Pete

Calvin

Nov 20, 2015, 9:38:18 PM11/20/15
On Wednesday, November 18, 2015 at 2:36:29 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> This is Rotating Quiz #203.

> * Ancient Gods of War
>
> 1. Name the ancient Roman god of war.

Mars

> 2. Name the ancient Greek god of war.
>

> * Other Things in Ancient Greece and Rome
>
> 3. In the monumental architecture developed in Greece, there
> were three major styles of stone columns that might appear
> (say) across the front of a building to support a portico.
> The simplest was Doric:
>
> http://0.tqn.com/d/architecture/1/S/g/y/Doric-Column.jpg
>
> and the most ornate, not to say florid, was Corinthian:
>
> http://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3069/3096830506_dfd4329763.jpg
>
> What was the other style, the one of intermediate ornateness?

Ionic

> 4. When the Roman Empire was divided permanently into two parts,
> the capital city of one part remained in what is now Italy.
> Name the modern-day *country* where the capital of the other
> part was located.

Turkey

> * Oscar-Winning Actresses
>
> 5. This actress's first name honors a department store building
> in Cleveland. She has appeared in several superhero movies
> and a James Bond movie, but her Oscar win was for a 2001 drama.
> Give her last name.

Berry

> 6. The stage name of this actress combines the surnames of two
> generals from the US Civil War. Her Oscar was for a supporting
> role in a 1975 comedy-drama. Give her stage name -- first *and*
> last name.

Lee Jackson

> * French-Speaking Places
>
> 7. What is the principal river of the region known as the
> Île-de-France?

Seine

> 8. The French city of Cannes lies on the Mediterranean coast about
> 30 miles (50 km) from the border with Italy. What well-known
> city is on the coast halfway between those points?

Monaco

> * Other Places
>
> 9. Speaking of ports, what is the principal port city of Alabama?

Montgomery

> 10. Consider areas that are both within a single country and within
> a single time zone; for example, "the part of the Eastern Time
> zone that is in Canada". In the whole world, obviously there
> must be one such area with the largest population. Never mind
> the time zone, but what *country* is it in?

China

> * World War II
>
> 11. During the war it was vital to the Allies to rapidly
> and reliably decode German messages enciphered using the
> Enigma machine. Alan Turing has become justly famous for
> his contributions to this then-secret work, but he was not
> the first man to find a method of decoding Enigma messages;
> Marian Rejewski was. What was *his* nationality?

Polish

> 12. This German company produced a variety of military aircraft,
> most notably including a conventional bomber, the 88, and
> a dive bomber, the 87 or Stuka. What company? The name is
> usually shortened to its first word, so just give that word.

Messerschmidt
Johnson

> 14. In the classic American version of Monopoly from Parker Bros.,
> if you roll 5 on your first turn you will reach a railroad,
> one that existed in real life when the game was first published.
> Its name is often shortened to a single word, which is a city it
> served, today with a population of about 88,000. Give that name.
>

> * History
>
> 15. During the French Revolution, a new calendar was adopted,
> with a new date for starting the year, a new numbering of the
> years starting fresh from 1, and 12 new names for the new months.
> Maybe it would have stuck if they hadn't also decided that the
> new week should be a metric one -- with 9 working days in each
> new-style 10-day week.
>
> Anyway, *during what month of our calendar* was the end of
> their month of Floréal and the start of the next one, Prairial?

March

> 16. In 1978 the leaders of Israel and Egypt met in the US and
> negotiated a peace treaty, for which they promptly won the
> Nobel Prize. Give the last name of that Israeli prime minister.

Rabin

> * The Last Questions
>
> 17. In what play does the title character announce his choice of
> successor by declaring, "But I do prophesy the election lights
> on Fortinbras: he has my dying voice"?
>
> 18. What should you have noticed about answers #1-17?

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Nov 22, 2015, 5:55:44 PM11/22/15
This is a reminder of Rotating Quiz #203. As I post this, you
have 1 day and about 6 hours remaining to enter. The more the
merrier, eh?

The scoring and questions repeated:

Mark Brader

Nov 22, 2015, 5:56:50 PM11/22/15
This is a reminder (with a new Subject line, as I meant to post
it before) of Rotating Quiz #203. As I post this, you have 1 day
and about 6 hours remaining to enter. The more the merrier, eh?

The scoring and questions repeated once more:

Mark Brader

Nov 24, 2015, 1:54:34 AM11/24/15
There were 7 entrance for Rotating Quiz #203, and DAN BLUM
wins a squeaker -- the outcome turned out to depend on a
tiebreaker and a judgement calls!

Here's the table of results:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 TOT

Dan Blum 1 1 1 1 1 2 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 2 17
Dan Tilque 1 1 1 1 0 2 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 2 17
Marc Dashevsky 1 1 1 1 1 2 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 15
Pete Gayde 1 1 1 1 1 2 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 13
Erland Sommarskog 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 8
"Calvin" 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 8
Peter Smyth 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 6

7 5 5 7 4 9 7 4 4 6 7 0 0 4 3 5 3 4

The first tiebreaker was who scored on the hardest questions. Dan Blum
scored on #5, which 3 other people got, but Dan Tilque scored on #10,
which 5 others got.

However, Dan Blum only scored on that answer because I decided to accept
"Ionian" rather than the correct "Ionic", on the grounds that both terms
refer to Ionia. If this contest had gone to the second tiebreaker,
correct spelling and capitalization, Dan would likely have lost on it.

There was another judgement call on #18; Marc Dashevsky came very close
to answering that one correctly, but skipped over the key point. If
I had accepted his answer, he too would have had 17 out of 20. However,
in that case he would still have lost on the first tiebreaker.

So congratulations to Dan, commiserations to Dan, and it's over to Dan
Blum for RQ 204.

> * Ancient Gods of War

> 1. Name the ancient Roman god of war.

Mars. 1 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Erland, Marc, Peter, Dan Tilque,
Pete, and Calvin.

> 2. Name the ancient Greek god of war.

Ares. 1 for Dan Blum, Marc, Peter, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> * Other Things in Ancient Greece and Rome

> 3. In the monumental architecture developed in Greece, there
> were three major styles of stone columns that might appear
> (say) across the front of a building to support a portico.
> The simplest was Doric:

> http://0.tqn.com/d/architecture/1/S/g/y/Doric-Column.jpg

> and the most ornate, not to say florid, was Corinthian:

> http://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3069/3096830506_dfd4329763.jpg

> What was the other style, the one of intermediate ornateness?

Ionic. As noted above, I accepted "Ionian". 1 for Dan Blum, Marc,
Dan Tilque, Pete, and Calvin.

It's this one:

http://www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/Arts/Temple/Ionic.jpg

> 4. When the Roman Empire was divided permanently into two parts,
> the capital city of one part remained in what is now Italy.
> Name the modern-day *country* where the capital of the other
> part was located.

Turkey. It was then called Byzantium, and now Istanbul.
1 for everyone.

> * Oscar-Winning Actresses

> 5. This actress's first name honors a department store building
> in Cleveland. She has appeared in several superhero movies
> and a James Bond movie, but her Oscar win was for a 2001 drama.
> Give her last name.

Berry. 1 for Dan Blum, Marc, Pete, and Calvin.

This is Halle Berry (with the Oscar for "Monster's Ball"):

http://ionenewsone.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/2002_halle_berry_oscar.jpg

This is the Halle Bros. building:

http://www.crainscleveland.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/storyimage/CC/20141204/FREE/141209889/AR/0/AR-141209889.jpg

I can't say I see the resemblance, myself. :-)

> 6. The stage name of this actress combines the surnames of two
> generals from the US Civil War. Her Oscar was for a supporting
> role in a 1975 comedy-drama. Give her stage name -- first *and*
> last name.

Lee Grant. 2 for Dan Blum, Marc, Dan Tilque, and Pete. 1 for Calvin.

That is, A + B = C where

A = http://www.thelatinlibrary.com/chron/civilwarpics/lee.jpg
B = http://www.thelatinlibrary.com/chron/civilwarpics/grant.jpg
C = http://dialmformoviesblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/leegrant.jpeg
(with the Oscar for "Shampoo")

I'm not sure I see the math there either. :-) By the way, her actual
surname, when she started acting, was Rosenthal.

> * French-Speaking Places

> 7. What is the principal river of the region known as the
> Île-de-France?

Seine. It's the region centered on Paris. 1 for everyone.

> 8. The French city of Cannes lies on the Mediterranean coast about
> 30 miles (50 km) from the border with Italy. What well-known
> city is on the coast halfway between those points?

Nice. 1 for Dan Blum, Erland, Marc, and Dan Tilque.

The city/country of Monaco, in turn, is halfway between Nice and
the Italian border.

> * Other Places

> 9. Speaking of ports, what is the principal port city of Alabama?

Mobile. 1 for Dan Blum, Marc, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 10. Consider areas that are both within a single country and within
> a single time zone; for example, "the part of the Eastern Time
> zone that is in Canada". In the whole world, obviously there
> must be one such area with the largest population. Never mind
> the time zone, but what *country* is it in?

China. 1 for Erland, Marc, Peter, Dan Tilque, Pete, and Calvin.

Essentially the whole country is on one time zone, except that the
Uighur people are allowed to use a different one.

> * World War II

> 11. During the war it was vital to the Allies to rapidly
> and reliably decode German messages enciphered using the
> Enigma machine. Alan Turing has become justly famous for
> his contributions to this then-secret work, but he was not
> the first man to find a method of decoding Enigma messages;
> Marian Rejewski was. What was *his* nationality?

Polish. 1 for everyone.

He did it in 1938, and he and his group turned over the details
of their techniques and devices to the British and French the
following year.

> 12. This German company produced a variety of military aircraft,
> most notably including a conventional bomber, the 88, and
> a dive bomber, the 87 or Stuka. What company? The name is
> usually shortened to its first word, so just give that word.

Junkers.

I didn't think this would be that hard.

> * Trains

> 13. One of the problems with making a really large steam locomotive
> was that, to get enough traction, plenty of driving wheels
> were needed. But steam at high pressure from the boiler had
> to get to the cylinders. This was easily done by sending it
> through heavy pipes. But in that case, it followed that the
> cylinders and the boiler had to be rigidly mounted to the same
> frame -- and therefore, so also did all the driving wheels.
> This created a long rigid wheelbase

> http://www.aqpl43.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/LOCOLOCO/russ/aa20.jpg

> that, in turn (no pun intended), made it hard to go around curves.

> On some of the largest steam engines this problem was avoided by
> using flexible joints that could take the necessary pressure of
> steam. In this way the locomotive could be "articulated", with
> separate cylinders powering two separate sets of driving wheels.

> In the US, articulated locomotives typically had the rear set
> of driving wheels fixed to the frame, with only the front set
> moving sideways on curves, as seen here:

> http://www.railpictures.net/images/d2/3/4/0/3340.1431469099.jpg
> http://www.museumoftheamericanrailroad.org/portals/0/Big_Boy_4018_Exercise_6_9_2013%20%2816%29_350px.jpg

Incidentally, it took quite a bit of searching to find those pictures.
There are lots of photos of big Mallet locomotives on the Internet,
but almost all of them are taken on straight track, like this:

http://www.steamlocomotive.com/bigboy/4004.jpg

perhaps because the engine looks more symmetrical that way.

> Locomotives articulated in this specific way were known by the
> last name of their inventor. What name?

> (Okay, to be exact, in some people's usage the inventor's name
> was only used if they were compound locomotives -- i.e. if the
> same steam was used successively in both sets of cylinders.
> But these people just called the other ones "articulated",
> so for purposes of this question they can be ignored.)

Mallet.

I did think this would be that hard.

There were also steam locomotives where both sets of driving wheels
pivoted independently with the boiler slung in the middle: this
design was the Garratt, also named after its inventor. It was most
popular in southern Africa and was used not only for large main-line
locomotives but also for smaller ones that ran on narrow-gauge lines
with sharp curves.

http://www.railpictures.net/images/d1/2/4/4/7244.1182391200.jpg
http://www.internationalsteam.co.uk/articulateds/pics/garratt09038.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6c/Class_GMAM_4122_July_2004_%287863980914%29.jpg

> 14. In the classic American version of Monopoly from Parker Bros.,
> if you roll 5 on your first turn you will reach a railroad,
> one that existed in real life when the game was first published.
> Its name is often shortened to a single word, which is a city it
> served, today with a population of about 88,000. Give that name.

Reading. (In Pennsylvania; pronounced "redding", like the one
in England.) 1 for Dan Blum, Marc, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> * History

> 15. During the French Revolution, a new calendar was adopted,
> with a new date for starting the year, a new numbering of the
> years starting fresh from 1, and 12 new names for the new months.
> Maybe it would have stuck if they hadn't also decided that the
> new week should be a metric one -- with 9 working days in each
> new-style 10-day week.

> Anyway, *during what month of our calendar* was the end of
> their month of Floréal and the start of the next one, Prairial?

May. 1 for Dan Blum, Erland, and Dan Tilque.

> 16. In 1978 the leaders of Israel and Egypt met in the US and
> negotiated a peace treaty, for which they promptly won the
> Nobel Prize. Give the last name of that Israeli prime minister.

Begin. 1 for Dan Blum, Erland, Marc, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> * The Last Questions

> 17. In what play does the title character announce his choice of
> successor by declaring, "But I do prophesy the election lights
> on Fortinbras: he has my dying voice"?

Hamlet. 1 for Dan Blum, Marc, and Dan Tilque.

> 18. What should you have noticed about answers #1-17?

Each one, if uncapitalized, becomes an ordinary word whose meaning
is unrelated (or at most indirectly related) to the answer word.
2 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

I decided that to get the 2 points you not only had to refer
to this pairing but mention that the words were distinguished by
capitalization (or by one being a proper noun). Marc failed on the
last part.

Thank you all for playing.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Oh what a tangled web we weave,
m...@vex.net | a literate geekiness to achieve." --Steve Summit

Marc Dashevsky

Nov 24, 2015, 2:22:43 AM11/24/15
In article <h7udnURW9pc0lMnL...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...

> There were 7 entrance for Rotating Quiz #203, and DAN BLUM

Heh heh, he said "entrance."

> wins a squeaker -- the outcome turned out to depend on a
> tiebreaker and a judgement calls!

Too bad you could not have used first names.

Dan Blum

Nov 24, 2015, 9:54:11 AM11/24/15
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:
> There were 7 entrance for Rotating Quiz #203, and DAN BLUM
> wins a squeaker -- the outcome turned out to depend on a
> tiebreaker and a judgement calls!

Thanks. The next RQ probably won't go up until next week due to American
Thanksgiving.