QFTCIBP Game 9, Rounds 3,6: women

Mark Brader

Jun 1, 2018, 1:24:53 AM6/1/18
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-03-19,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Bill Psychs and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

We had rounds 2, 4, and 5 in the previous set. So now it's time
for -- International Women's Day! (Which, you'll remember, was
on March 8.)

* Game 9, Round 3 - Entertainment - TV Moms

While they may be fictional characters, here's a round on some
well-known women -- TV mothers. We'll give you a brief description,
and in each case, you give us the TV character's *first name*.

1. This working lawyer mother was strong, loving and warm, as well
as the caring disciplinarian for her five children. She is
depicted as a hardworking career woman with strong feminist
principles. One particularly memorable interaction, dubbed her
"feminist rant" by the media, has become so popular that the
scene continues to be heavily circulated on the Internet and
social media, 30 years after its initial appearance. Remember,
give the character's first name.

2. This petite, mature mother of three (though only one is a main
character in the show) is best known for her wisecracks,
put-downs and brazen remarks. She often comments on her
daughter's lack of love life and the promiscuity and the
stupidity of her daughter's two friends.

3. This mother of two, with loud heels, is not exactly doting.
In fact, she would much rather sit in front of the television
and watch her shows, eat bon-bons, go shopping -- for herself of
course -- as opposed to cooking, cleaning, or helping her kids.

4. This mother of at least two is part of a classic 50s couple.
She quit her secretarial job to become a stay-at-home mother
to her kids, and a sort of surrogate mother to a cool character
who she alone refers to as Arthur.

5. It's hard to be a normal suburban housewife when your only child
can make ponies appear out of thin air and your mother shows
up unannounced in your living room, often at the most awkward
of times.

6. This mother of three is currently a full-time-mom and spends
most of the working day caring for her youngest child who has
matricidal tendencies. She sometimes teaches piano on the side
to supplement the family income. In addition to her husband
and kids, her home is shared with an anthropomorphic family dog.

7. This blue-collar mother of three (with a 4th child added late
in the series) is a bossy, loud, caustic, and dominant woman
who constantly tries to control the lives of those around her
- including her husband and sister. Despite her domineering
nature, however, she is a loving mother who works hard and
makes as much time for her kids as possible. The actor's
real-life brother and sister are gay, which inspired her to
push for introducing gay characters and issues into the show.

8. This mother of three attempts to overcome poverty living in
a high-rise project building in Chicago. The actress playing
her fought hard for a father figure and husband to be added
to the show, and to have more relevant themes and scripts.
She was unhappy when the success of her character's son and
his signature catchphrase "Dy-no-mite!" took the show in a
frivolous direction and so she quit. She returned, however,
for the final season of the series.

9. This mother of two, with her with extremely pale skin and
long flowing straight black hair, seems genuinely distressed by
all things wholesome and saccharine and loves all things dark
and spooky -- but she also puts the welfare of her family above
everything else and would go to any lengths to make them happy.

10. Nurturing but enabling, this mother of two has a very
recognizable laugh whenever she is nervous about anything
(which is often), a fondness for square dancing, and an even
greater fondness for liquor of almost all kinds (wine, kahlua,
bourbon, mai tais, margaritas...). She puts her family first
and tries to smooth over the many conflicts within her household
and among her son's group of pot-smoking friends, although her
efforts often fail.

* Game 9, Round 6 - History - Pioneering Women

Moving from fiction to real life, here is a round on pioneering
women in various fields.

1. Who was the first woman to be awarded a Nobel Prize, which was
for physics, in 1903?

2. Who was the first woman to win a Pulitzer Prize for a novel,
which she won in 1921 for "The Age of Innocence"?

3. Who was the first female member of the US Supreme Court?

4. Who was the first woman to win an Academy Award for Best
Director?

5. Name the English chemist who made contributions to the under-
standing of the molecular structures of DNA and RNA. Many people
have asserted that she should have been awarded a share of
the Nobel Prize actually won by James Watson, Francis Crick,
and Maurice Wilkins, but the prizes are not awarded posthumously.

6. Who was the first woman to win an IndyCar race?

7. Who was the first woman to be managing director or head of
the International Monetary Fund? She was a French lawyer and
politician previously.

8. Name the woman who wrote "Silent Spring" and is considered the
founder of today's environmental movement.

9. Name the woman who did the math that launched the manned Mercury
mission into orbit and calculated the flight path for the
Apollo 11 mission. She was played by Taraji P. Henson in the
recent film "Hidden Figures". In 2016, NASA named a Computational
Research Facility in Hampton VA in her honor.

10. Sally Ride became the first American woman in space in 1983.
What Russian became the *first* woman in space in 1963?

--
Mark Brader | "I don't want to say they're unsafe,
Toronto | but they're dangerous."

Joshua Kreitzer

Jun 1, 2018, 2:19:30 AM6/1/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:APednaMbPtwCRY3GnZ2dnUU7-
anN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Entertainment - TV Moms
>
> While they may be fictional characters, here's a round on some
> well-known women -- TV mothers. We'll give you a brief description,
> and in each case, you give us the TV character's *first name*.
>
> 1. This working lawyer mother was strong, loving and warm, as well
> as the caring disciplinarian for her five children. She is
> depicted as a hardworking career woman with strong feminist
> principles. One particularly memorable interaction, dubbed her
> "feminist rant" by the media, has become so popular that the
> scene continues to be heavily circulated on the Internet and
> social media, 30 years after its initial appearance. Remember,
> give the character's first name.

Clair (?)

> 2. This petite, mature mother of three (though only one is a main
> character in the show) is best known for her wisecracks,
> put-downs and brazen remarks. She often comments on her
> daughter's lack of love life and the promiscuity and the
> stupidity of her daughter's two friends.

Sophia

> 3. This mother of two, with loud heels, is not exactly doting.
> In fact, she would much rather sit in front of the television
> and watch her shows, eat bon-bons, go shopping -- for herself of
> course -- as opposed to cooking, cleaning, or helping her kids.

Peg

> 4. This mother of at least two is part of a classic 50s couple.
> She quit her secretarial job to become a stay-at-home mother
> to her kids, and a sort of surrogate mother to a cool character
> who she alone refers to as Arthur.

Marion (?)

> 6. This mother of three is currently a full-time-mom and spends
> most of the working day caring for her youngest child who has
> matricidal tendencies. She sometimes teaches piano on the side
> to supplement the family income. In addition to her husband
> and kids, her home is shared with an anthropomorphic family dog.

Lois

> 7. This blue-collar mother of three (with a 4th child added late
> in the series) is a bossy, loud, caustic, and dominant woman
> who constantly tries to control the lives of those around her
> - including her husband and sister. Despite her domineering
> nature, however, she is a loving mother who works hard and
> makes as much time for her kids as possible. The actor's
> real-life brother and sister are gay, which inspired her to
> push for introducing gay characters and issues into the show.

Roseanne

> 8. This mother of three attempts to overcome poverty living in
> a high-rise project building in Chicago. The actress playing
> her fought hard for a father figure and husband to be added
> to the show, and to have more relevant themes and scripts.
> She was unhappy when the success of her character's son and
> his signature catchphrase "Dy-no-mite!" took the show in a
> frivolous direction and so she quit. She returned, however,
> for the final season of the series.

Florida

> 9. This mother of two, with her with extremely pale skin and
> long flowing straight black hair, seems genuinely distressed by
> all things wholesome and saccharine and loves all things dark
> and spooky -- but she also puts the welfare of her family above
> everything else and would go to any lengths to make them happy.

Morticia

> * Game 9, Round 6 - History - Pioneering Women
>
> Moving from fiction to real life, here is a round on pioneering
> women in various fields.
>
> 1. Who was the first woman to be awarded a Nobel Prize, which was
> for physics, in 1903?

Marie Curie

> 2. Who was the first woman to win a Pulitzer Prize for a novel,
> which she won in 1921 for "The Age of Innocence"?

Edith Wharton

> 3. Who was the first female member of the US Supreme Court?

Sandra Day O'Connor

> 4. Who was the first woman to win an Academy Award for Best
> Director?

Kathryn Bigelow

> 5. Name the English chemist who made contributions to the under-
> standing of the molecular structures of DNA and RNA. Many people
> have asserted that she should have been awarded a share of
> the Nobel Prize actually won by James Watson, Francis Crick,
> and Maurice Wilkins, but the prizes are not awarded posthumously.

Rosalind Franklin

> 6. Who was the first woman to win an IndyCar race?

Danica Patrick

> 8. Name the woman who wrote "Silent Spring" and is considered the
> founder of today's environmental movement.

Rachel Carson

> 10. Sally Ride became the first American woman in space in 1983.
> What Russian became the *first* woman in space in 1963?

Valentina Tereshkova

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Blum

Jun 1, 2018, 8:50:42 AM6/1/18
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Entertainment - TV Moms

> 5. It's hard to be a normal suburban housewife when your only child
> can make ponies appear out of thin air and your mother shows
> up unannounced in your living room, often at the most awkward
> of times.

Samantha

> 6. This mother of three is currently a full-time-mom and spends
> most of the working day caring for her youngest child who has
> matricidal tendencies. She sometimes teaches piano on the side
> to supplement the family income. In addition to her husband
> and kids, her home is shared with an anthropomorphic family dog.

Lois

> 7. This blue-collar mother of three (with a 4th child added late
> in the series) is a bossy, loud, caustic, and dominant woman
> who constantly tries to control the lives of those around her
> - including her husband and sister. Despite her domineering
> nature, however, she is a loving mother who works hard and
> makes as much time for her kids as possible. The actor's
> real-life brother and sister are gay, which inspired her to
> push for introducing gay characters and issues into the show.

Roseanne

> 9. This mother of two, with her with extremely pale skin and
> long flowing straight black hair, seems genuinely distressed by
> all things wholesome and saccharine and loves all things dark
> and spooky -- but she also puts the welfare of her family above
> everything else and would go to any lengths to make them happy.

Morticia

> * Game 9, Round 6 - History - Pioneering Women

> 1. Who was the first woman to be awarded a Nobel Prize, which was
> for physics, in 1903?

Marie Curie

> 2. Who was the first woman to win a Pulitzer Prize for a novel,
> which she won in 1921 for "The Age of Innocence"?

Edith Wharton

> 3. Who was the first female member of the US Supreme Court?

Sandra Day O'Connor

> 4. Who was the first woman to win an Academy Award for Best
> Director?

Bigelow

> 5. Name the English chemist who made contributions to the under-
> standing of the molecular structures of DNA and RNA. Many people
> have asserted that she should have been awarded a share of
> the Nobel Prize actually won by James Watson, Francis Crick,
> and Maurice Wilkins, but the prizes are not awarded posthumously.

Franklin

> 6. Who was the first woman to win an IndyCar race?

Guthrie

> 8. Name the woman who wrote "Silent Spring" and is considered the
> founder of today's environmental movement.

Rachel Carson

> 10. Sally Ride became the first American woman in space in 1983.
> What Russian became the *first* woman in space in 1963?

Tereshkova

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

Jun 1, 2018, 2:29:10 PM6/1/18
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 9, Round 6 - History - Pioneering Women
>
> Moving from fiction to real life, here is a round on pioneering
> women in various fields.
>
> 1. Who was the first woman to be awarded a Nobel Prize, which was
> for physics, in 1903?

Marie Curie

> 3. Who was the first female member of the US Supreme Court?

Gainsburg

> 7. Who was the first woman to be managing director or head of
> the International Monetary Fund? She was a French lawyer and
> politician previously.

Cristine Lagarde

> 8. Name the woman who wrote "Silent Spring" and is considered the
> founder of today's environmental movement.

Rachel Carson

> 10. Sally Ride became the first American woman in space in 1983.
> What Russian became the *first* woman in space in 1963?

Kovalchenko

Pete Gayde

Jun 1, 2018, 7:29:04 PM6/1/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:APednaMbPtwCRY3GnZ2dnUU7-
anN...@giganews.com:

Clare

> 2. This petite, mature mother of three (though only one is a main
> character in the show) is best known for her wisecracks,
> put-downs and brazen remarks. She often comments on her
> daughter's lack of love life and the promiscuity and the
> stupidity of her daughter's two friends.
>
> 3. This mother of two, with loud heels, is not exactly doting.
> In fact, she would much rather sit in front of the television
> and watch her shows, eat bon-bons, go shopping -- for herself of
> course -- as opposed to cooking, cleaning, or helping her kids.
>
> 4. This mother of at least two is part of a classic 50s couple.
> She quit her secretarial job to become a stay-at-home mother
> to her kids, and a sort of surrogate mother to a cool character
> who she alone refers to as Arthur.

Marian

> 5. It's hard to be a normal suburban housewife when your only child
> can make ponies appear out of thin air and your mother shows
> up unannounced in your living room, often at the most awkward
> of times.

Samantha

> 6. This mother of three is currently a full-time-mom and spends
> most of the working day caring for her youngest child who has
> matricidal tendencies. She sometimes teaches piano on the side
> to supplement the family income. In addition to her husband
> and kids, her home is shared with an anthropomorphic family dog.
>
> 7. This blue-collar mother of three (with a 4th child added late
> in the series) is a bossy, loud, caustic, and dominant woman
> who constantly tries to control the lives of those around her
> - including her husband and sister. Despite her domineering
> nature, however, she is a loving mother who works hard and
> makes as much time for her kids as possible. The actor's
> real-life brother and sister are gay, which inspired her to
> push for introducing gay characters and issues into the show.

Roseanne

> 8. This mother of three attempts to overcome poverty living in
> a high-rise project building in Chicago. The actress playing
> her fought hard for a father figure and husband to be added
> to the show, and to have more relevant themes and scripts.
> She was unhappy when the success of her character's son and
> his signature catchphrase "Dy-no-mite!" took the show in a
> frivolous direction and so she quit. She returned, however,
> for the final season of the series.

Louise

> 9. This mother of two, with her with extremely pale skin and
> long flowing straight black hair, seems genuinely distressed by
> all things wholesome and saccharine and loves all things dark
> and spooky -- but she also puts the welfare of her family above
> everything else and would go to any lengths to make them happy.

Morticia

> 10. Nurturing but enabling, this mother of two has a very
> recognizable laugh whenever she is nervous about anything
> (which is often), a fondness for square dancing, and an even
> greater fondness for liquor of almost all kinds (wine, kahlua,
> bourbon, mai tais, margaritas...). She puts her family first
> and tries to smooth over the many conflicts within her household
> and among her son's group of pot-smoking friends, although her
> efforts often fail.

Roseanne

> * Game 9, Round 6 - History - Pioneering Women
>
> Moving from fiction to real life, here is a round on pioneering
> women in various fields.
>
> 1. Who was the first woman to be awarded a Nobel Prize, which was
> for physics, in 1903?

Marie Curie

> 2. Who was the first woman to win a Pulitzer Prize for a novel,
> which she won in 1921 for "The Age of Innocence"?
>
> 3. Who was the first female member of the US Supreme Court?

Ginsburg

> 4. Who was the first woman to win an Academy Award for Best
> Director?
>
> 5. Name the English chemist who made contributions to the under-
> standing of the molecular structures of DNA and RNA. Many people
> have asserted that she should have been awarded a share of
> the Nobel Prize actually won by James Watson, Francis Crick,
> and Maurice Wilkins, but the prizes are not awarded posthumously.
>
> 6. Who was the first woman to win an IndyCar race?

Patrick

> 7. Who was the first woman to be managing director or head of
> the International Monetary Fund? She was a French lawyer and
> politician previously.
>
> 8. Name the woman who wrote "Silent Spring" and is considered the
> founder of today's environmental movement.

Rachel Carson

> 9. Name the woman who did the math that launched the manned Mercury
> mission into orbit and calculated the flight path for the
> Apollo 11 mission. She was played by Taraji P. Henson in the
> recent film "Hidden Figures". In 2016, NASA named a Computational
> Research Facility in Hampton VA in her honor.

Johnson

> 10. Sally Ride became the first American woman in space in 1983.
> What Russian became the *first* woman in space in 1963?

Pete Gayde

Dan Tilque

Jun 2, 2018, 3:33:03 AM6/2/18
Peggy

> 4. This mother of at least two is part of a classic 50s couple.
> She quit her secretarial job to become a stay-at-home mother
> to her kids, and a sort of surrogate mother to a cool character
> who she alone refers to as Arthur.
>
> 5. It's hard to be a normal suburban housewife when your only child
> can make ponies appear out of thin air and your mother shows
> up unannounced in your living room, often at the most awkward
> of times.

Samantha
Morticia

> 10. Nurturing but enabling, this mother of two has a very
> recognizable laugh whenever she is nervous about anything
> (which is often), a fondness for square dancing, and an even
> greater fondness for liquor of almost all kinds (wine, kahlua,
> bourbon, mai tais, margaritas...). She puts her family first
> and tries to smooth over the many conflicts within her household
> and among her son's group of pot-smoking friends, although her
> efforts often fail.
>

> * Game 9, Round 6 - History - Pioneering Women
>
> Moving from fiction to real life, here is a round on pioneering
> women in various fields.
>
> 1. Who was the first woman to be awarded a Nobel Prize, which was
> for physics, in 1903?

Marie Curie

> 2. Who was the first woman to win a Pulitzer Prize for a novel,
> which she won in 1921 for "The Age of Innocence"?
>
> 3. Who was the first female member of the US Supreme Court?
>
> 4. Who was the first woman to win an Academy Award for Best
> Director?
>
> 5. Name the English chemist who made contributions to the under-
> standing of the molecular structures of DNA and RNA. Many people
> have asserted that she should have been awarded a share of
> the Nobel Prize actually won by James Watson, Francis Crick,
> and Maurice Wilkins, but the prizes are not awarded posthumously.

Rosalind Franklin

> 6. Who was the first woman to win an IndyCar race?

Danica Patrick

> 7. Who was the first woman to be managing director or head of
> the International Monetary Fund? She was a French lawyer and
> politician previously.
>
> 8. Name the woman who wrote "Silent Spring" and is considered the
> founder of today's environmental movement.

Rachel Carson

> 9. Name the woman who did the math that launched the manned Mercury
> mission into orbit and calculated the flight path for the
> Apollo 11 mission. She was played by Taraji P. Henson in the
> recent film "Hidden Figures". In 2016, NASA named a Computational
> Research Facility in Hampton VA in her honor.
>
> 10. Sally Ride became the first American woman in space in 1983.
> What Russian became the *first* woman in space in 1963?

--
Dan Tilque

Peter Smyth

Jun 2, 2018, 5:42:45 AM6/2/18
Morticia
> 10. Nurturing but enabling, this mother of two has a very
> recognizable laugh whenever she is nervous about anything
> (which is often), a fondness for square dancing, and an even
> greater fondness for liquor of almost all kinds (wine, kahlua,
> bourbon, mai tais, margaritas...). She puts her family first
> and tries to smooth over the many conflicts within her household
> and among her son's group of pot-smoking friends, although her
> efforts often fail.
>

> * Game 9, Round 6 - History - Pioneering Women
>
> Moving from fiction to real life, here is a round on pioneering
> women in various fields.
>
> 1. Who was the first woman to be awarded a Nobel Prize, which was
> for physics, in 1903?
Marie Curie
> 2. Who was the first woman to win a Pulitzer Prize for a novel,
> which she won in 1921 for "The Age of Innocence"?
>
> 3. Who was the first female member of the US Supreme Court?
Sandra Day O'Connor
> 4. Who was the first woman to win an Academy Award for Best
> Director?
>
> 5. Name the English chemist who made contributions to the under-
> standing of the molecular structures of DNA and RNA. Many people
> have asserted that she should have been awarded a share of
> the Nobel Prize actually won by James Watson, Francis Crick,
> and Maurice Wilkins, but the prizes are not awarded posthumously.
Rosalind Franklin
> 6. Who was the first woman to win an IndyCar race?
Danica Patrick
> 7. Who was the first woman to be managing director or head of
> the International Monetary Fund? She was a French lawyer and
> politician previously.
Christine Lagarde
> 8. Name the woman who wrote "Silent Spring" and is considered the
> founder of today's environmental movement.
>
> 9. Name the woman who did the math that launched the manned Mercury
> mission into orbit and calculated the flight path for the
> Apollo 11 mission. She was played by Taraji P. Henson in the
> recent film "Hidden Figures". In 2016, NASA named a Computational
> Research Facility in Hampton VA in her honor.
>
> 10. Sally Ride became the first American woman in space in 1983.
> What Russian became the first woman in space in 1963?

Peter Smyth

Jason Kreitzer

Jun 2, 2018, 11:17:50 PM6/2/18
Peg Bundy
> 4. This mother of at least two is part of a classic 50s couple.
> She quit her secretarial job to become a stay-at-home mother
> to her kids, and a sort of surrogate mother to a cool character
> who she alone refers to as Arthur.
Mrs. Cunningham
> 5. It's hard to be a normal suburban housewife when your only child
> can make ponies appear out of thin air and your mother shows
> up unannounced in your living room, often at the most awkward
> of times.
Samantha from "Bewitched"
> 6. This mother of three is currently a full-time-mom and spends
> most of the working day caring for her youngest child who has
> matricidal tendencies. She sometimes teaches piano on the side
> to supplement the family income. In addition to her husband
> and kids, her home is shared with an anthropomorphic family dog.
Lois Griffin
> 7. This blue-collar mother of three (with a 4th child added late
> in the series) is a bossy, loud, caustic, and dominant woman
> who constantly tries to control the lives of those around her
> - including her husband and sister. Despite her domineering
> nature, however, she is a loving mother who works hard and
> makes as much time for her kids as possible. The actor's
> real-life brother and sister are gay, which inspired her to
> push for introducing gay characters and issues into the show.
Roseanne Connors
> 8. This mother of three attempts to overcome poverty living in
> a high-rise project building in Chicago. The actress playing
> her fought hard for a father figure and husband to be added
> to the show, and to have more relevant themes and scripts.
> She was unhappy when the success of her character's son and
> his signature catchphrase "Dy-no-mite!" took the show in a
> frivolous direction and so she quit. She returned, however,
> for the final season of the series.
Florida from "Good Times"
> 9. This mother of two, with her with extremely pale skin and
> long flowing straight black hair, seems genuinely distressed by
> all things wholesome and saccharine and loves all things dark
> and spooky -- but she also puts the welfare of her family above
> everything else and would go to any lengths to make them happy.
Addams
> 10. Nurturing but enabling, this mother of two has a very
> recognizable laugh whenever she is nervous about anything
> (which is often), a fondness for square dancing, and an even
> greater fondness for liquor of almost all kinds (wine, kahlua,
> bourbon, mai tais, margaritas...). She puts her family first
> and tries to smooth over the many conflicts within her household
> and among her son's group of pot-smoking friends, although her
> efforts often fail.
>

> * Game 9, Round 6 - History - Pioneering Women
>
> Moving from fiction to real life, here is a round on pioneering
> women in various fields.
>
> 1. Who was the first woman to be awarded a Nobel Prize, which was
> for physics, in 1903?
Marie Curie
> 2. Who was the first woman to win a Pulitzer Prize for a novel,
> which she won in 1921 for "The Age of Innocence"?
>
> 3. Who was the first female member of the US Supreme Court?
Sandra Day O'Connor
> 4. Who was the first woman to win an Academy Award for Best
> Director?
>
> 5. Name the English chemist who made contributions to the under-
> standing of the molecular structures of DNA and RNA. Many people
> have asserted that she should have been awarded a share of
> the Nobel Prize actually won by James Watson, Francis Crick,
> and Maurice Wilkins, but the prizes are not awarded posthumously.
>
> 6. Who was the first woman to win an IndyCar race?
>
> 7. Who was the first woman to be managing director or head of
> the International Monetary Fund? She was a French lawyer and
> politician previously.
>
> 8. Name the woman who wrote "Silent Spring" and is considered the
> founder of today's environmental movement.
Rachel Carson
> 9. Name the woman who did the math that launched the manned Mercury
> mission into orbit and calculated the flight path for the
> Apollo 11 mission. She was played by Taraji P. Henson in the
> recent film "Hidden Figures". In 2016, NASA named a Computational
> Research Facility in Hampton VA in her honor.
Johnson

Calvin

Jun 3, 2018, 8:26:57 PM6/3/18
On Friday, June 1, 2018 at 3:24:53 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Entertainment - TV Moms

Do Canadians really spell it mom?
Samantha

> 6. This mother of three is currently a full-time-mom and spends
> most of the working day caring for her youngest child who has
> matricidal tendencies. She sometimes teaches piano on the side
> to supplement the family income. In addition to her husband
> and kids, her home is shared with an anthropomorphic family dog.
>
> 7. This blue-collar mother of three (with a 4th child added late
> in the series) is a bossy, loud, caustic, and dominant woman
> who constantly tries to control the lives of those around her
> - including her husband and sister. Despite her domineering
> nature, however, she is a loving mother who works hard and
> makes as much time for her kids as possible. The actor's
> real-life brother and sister are gay, which inspired her to
> push for introducing gay characters and issues into the show.

Roseanne?

> 8. This mother of three attempts to overcome poverty living in
> a high-rise project building in Chicago. The actress playing
> her fought hard for a father figure and husband to be added
> to the show, and to have more relevant themes and scripts.
> She was unhappy when the success of her character's son and
> his signature catchphrase "Dy-no-mite!" took the show in a
> frivolous direction and so she quit. She returned, however,
> for the final season of the series.
>
> 9. This mother of two, with her with extremely pale skin and
> long flowing straight black hair, seems genuinely distressed by
> all things wholesome and saccharine and loves all things dark
> and spooky -- but she also puts the welfare of her family above
> everything else and would go to any lengths to make them happy.

Morticia

> 10. Nurturing but enabling, this mother of two has a very
> recognizable laugh whenever she is nervous about anything
> (which is often), a fondness for square dancing, and an even
> greater fondness for liquor of almost all kinds (wine, kahlua,
> bourbon, mai tais, margaritas...). She puts her family first
> and tries to smooth over the many conflicts within her household
> and among her son's group of pot-smoking friends, although her
> efforts often fail.

Bonnie?

> * Game 9, Round 6 - History - Pioneering Women
>
> Moving from fiction to real life, here is a round on pioneering
> women in various fields.
>
> 1. Who was the first woman to be awarded a Nobel Prize, which was
> for physics, in 1903?

Curie

> 2. Who was the first woman to win a Pulitzer Prize for a novel,
> which she won in 1921 for "The Age of Innocence"?
>
> 3. Who was the first female member of the US Supreme Court?
>
> 4. Who was the first woman to win an Academy Award for Best
> Director?

Bigelow

> 5. Name the English chemist who made contributions to the under-
> standing of the molecular structures of DNA and RNA. Many people
> have asserted that she should have been awarded a share of
> the Nobel Prize actually won by James Watson, Francis Crick,
> and Maurice Wilkins, but the prizes are not awarded posthumously.

Franklin

> 6. Who was the first woman to win an IndyCar race?
>
> 7. Who was the first woman to be managing director or head of
> the International Monetary Fund? She was a French lawyer and
> politician previously.
>
> 8. Name the woman who wrote "Silent Spring" and is considered the
> founder of today's environmental movement.
>
> 9. Name the woman who did the math that launched the manned Mercury
> mission into orbit and calculated the flight path for the
> Apollo 11 mission. She was played by Taraji P. Henson in the
> recent film "Hidden Figures". In 2016, NASA named a Computational
> Research Facility in Hampton VA in her honor.
>
> 10. Sally Ride became the first American woman in space in 1983.
> What Russian became the *first* woman in space in 1963?

Tervanova

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Jun 3, 2018, 10:27:14 PM6/3/18
Mark Brader:
> > * Game 9, Round 3 - Entertainment - TV Moms

"Calvin":
> Do Canadians really spell it mom?

Generally. Look at google counts with site:ca.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Strange commas are enshrined in
m...@vex.net | the US Constitution." --James Hogg

Mark Brader

Jun 4, 2018, 1:24:42 AM6/4/18
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-03-19,
> see my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> We had rounds 2, 4, and 5 in the previous set. So now it's time
> for -- International Women's Day! (Which, you'll remember, was
> on March 8.)

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Entertainment - TV Moms

> While they may be fictional characters, here's a round on some
> well-known women -- TV mothers. We'll give you a brief description,
> and in each case, you give us the TV character's *first name*.

But I'll show their full names and other information with the answers.

> 1. This working lawyer mother was strong, loving and warm, as well
> as the caring disciplinarian for her five children. She is
> depicted as a hardworking career woman with strong feminist
> principles. One particularly memorable interaction, dubbed her
> "feminist rant" by the media, has become so popular that the
> scene continues to be heavily circulated on the Internet and
> social media, 30 years after its initial appearance. Remember,
> give the character's first name.

Clair Huxtable (Phylicia Rashad, "The Cosby Show", 1984-92).
4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 2. This petite, mature mother of three (though only one is a main
> character in the show) is best known for her wisecracks,
> put-downs and brazen remarks. She often comments on her
> daughter's lack of love life and the promiscuity and the
> stupidity of her daughter's two friends.

Sophia Petrillo (Estelle Getty, "The Golden Girls", 1985-92).
4 for Joshua.

> 3. This mother of two, with loud heels, is not exactly doting.
> In fact, she would much rather sit in front of the television
> and watch her shows, eat bon-bons, go shopping -- for herself of
> course -- as opposed to cooking, cleaning, or helping her kids.

Peg/Peggy Bundy (Katey Sagal, "Married With Children", 1986-97).
4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Jason.

> 4. This mother of at least two is part of a classic 50s couple.
> She quit her secretarial job to become a stay-at-home mother
> to her kids, and a sort of surrogate mother to a cool character
> who she alone refers to as Arthur.

Marion Cunningham (Marion Ross, "Happy Days", 1974-84). 4 for Joshua
and Pete.

In the original game this question said "mother of two", referring
to Richie and Joanie, but in the first two seasons they had an older
brother Chuck -- who was never mentioned thereafter.

> 5. It's hard to be a normal suburban housewife when your only child
> can make ponies appear out of thin air and your mother shows
> up unannounced in your living room, often at the most awkward
> of times.

Sam/Samantha Stephens (Elizabeth Montgomery, "Bewitched", 1964-72).
4 for Dan Blum, Pete, Dan Tilque, Jason, and Calvin.

> 6. This mother of three is currently a full-time-mom and spends
> most of the working day caring for her youngest child who has
> matricidal tendencies. She sometimes teaches piano on the side
> to supplement the family income. In addition to her husband
> and kids, her home is shared with an anthropomorphic family dog.

Lois Griffin (Alex Borstein, "Family Guy", 1998-). 4 for Joshua,
Dan Blum, and Jason.

> 7. This blue-collar mother of three (with a 4th child added late
> in the series) is a bossy, loud, caustic, and dominant woman
> who constantly tries to control the lives of those around her
> - including her husband and sister. Despite her domineering
> nature, however, she is a loving mother who works hard and
> makes as much time for her kids as possible. The actor's
> real-life brother and sister are gay, which inspired her to
> push for introducing gay characters and issues into the show.

Roseanne Connor (Roseanne Barr, "Roseanne", 1988-97 and 2018-).
4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, Jason, and Calvin.

> 8. This mother of three attempts to overcome poverty living in
> a high-rise project building in Chicago. The actress playing
> her fought hard for a father figure and husband to be added
> to the show, and to have more relevant themes and scripts.
> She was unhappy when the success of her character's son and
> his signature catchphrase "Dy-no-mite!" took the show in a
> frivolous direction and so she quit. She returned, however,
> for the final season of the series.

Florida Evans (Esther Rolle, "Good Times", 1974-77 and 1978-79).
4 for Joshua and Jason.

> 9. This mother of two, with her with extremely pale skin and
> long flowing straight black hair, seems genuinely distressed by
> all things wholesome and saccharine and loves all things dark
> and spooky -- but she also puts the welfare of her family above
> everything else and would go to any lengths to make them happy.

Morticia Addams (Carolyn Jones, "The Addams Family", 1964-66).
4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, Dan Tilque, Peter, and Calvin.

> 10. Nurturing but enabling, this mother of two has a very
> recognizable laugh whenever she is nervous about anything
> (which is often), a fondness for square dancing, and an even
> greater fondness for liquor of almost all kinds (wine, kahlua,
> bourbon, mai tais, margaritas...). She puts her family first
> and tries to smooth over the many conflicts within her household
> and among her son's group of pot-smoking friends, although her
> efforts often fail.

Kitty Forman (Debra Jo Rupp, "That 70s show", 1998-2006).

> * Game 9, Round 6 - History - Pioneering Women

> Moving from fiction to real life, here is a round on pioneering
> women in various fields.

> 1. Who was the first woman to be awarded a Nobel Prize, which was
> for physics, in 1903?

Marie Curie. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Blum, Erland, Pete,
Dan Tilque, Peter, Jason, and Calvin.

She only won 1/4 of that one; her husband, Pierre Curie, got 1/4 and
Antoine Becquerel got the other half. Pierre Curie died in 1906 and
Marie's second prize, for chemistry in 1911, was an individual win.
By that time other women had won Nobels individually, starting with
the peace prize to Baroness Bertha von Suttner in 1905.

> 2. Who was the first woman to win a Pulitzer Prize for a novel,
> which she won in 1921 for "The Age of Innocence"?

Edith Wharton. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

In the original game this question did not specify the category
of Pulitzer Prize. In the first year of the Pulitzers, 1917,
Laura E. Richards and Maude Howe Elliott jointly won the prize
for their *biography* of their mother, Julia Ward Howe, aptly
titled "Julia Ward Howe".

> 3. Who was the first female member of the US Supreme Court?

Sandra Day O'Connor. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Peter, and Jason.

> 4. Who was the first woman to win an Academy Award for Best
> Director?

Kathryn Bigelow ("The Hurt Locker"). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum,
and Calvin.

> 5. Name the English chemist who made contributions to the under-
> standing of the molecular structures of DNA and RNA. Many people
> have asserted that she should have been awarded a share of
> the Nobel Prize actually won by James Watson, Francis Crick,
> and Maurice Wilkins, but the prizes are not awarded posthumously.

Rosalind Franklin. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Peter,
and Calvin.

> 6. Who was the first woman to win an IndyCar race?

Danica Patrick. 4 for Joshua, Pete, Dan Tilque, and Peter.

> 7. Who was the first woman to be managing director or head of
> the International Monetary Fund? She was a French lawyer and
> politician previously.

Christine Lagarde. 4 for Erland and Peter.

> 8. Name the woman who wrote "Silent Spring" and is considered the
> founder of today's environmental movement.

Rachel Carson. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Erland, Pete, Dan Tilque,
and Jason.

> 9. Name the woman who did the math that launched the manned Mercury
> mission into orbit and calculated the flight path for the
> Apollo 11 mission. She was played by Taraji P. Henson in the
> recent film "Hidden Figures". In 2016, NASA named a Computational
> Research Facility in Hampton VA in her honor.

Katherine Johnson. 4 for Pete and Jason.

She showed up in XKCD -- specifically, xkcd 1970 (click on the image
for full resolution) -- 2 days after the original game; and then,
8 days after that, in the "Final Jeopardy!" question on "Jeopardy!",
where they gave some of the above details and her name, and asked
what government agency she'd worked for. (All three contestants
got it right.)

> 10. Sally Ride became the first American woman in space in 1983.
> What Russian became the *first* woman in space in 1963?

Valentina Tereshkova. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 9 ROUNDS-> 2 4 5 3 6 BEST
TOPICS-> Art Geo Aud Ent His THREE
Pete Gayde 29 28 40 20 16 97
Joshua Kreitzer 17 31 20 32 32 95
Dan Blum 30 20 20 16 28 78
Erland Sommarskog 0 36 20 0 12 68
Peter Smyth 0 24 20 4 20 64
"Calvin" 22 19 20 12 12 61
Dan Tilque 0 28 8 12 16 56
Jason Kreitzer 4 8 12 20 16 48

--
Mark Brader | "...all these superheroes really have the same super-power:
Toronto | they have the writer(s) on their side."