Calvin's Quiz #485

Calvin

May 4, 2017, 8:57:18 PM5/4/17

1 George Best made more that 350 appearances for which English football (soccer) club?
2 Jeff Wayne's 1978 concept album was based on, and named for, which 1897 science fiction novel?
3 Which Australian band released the 1981 album "Business as Usual"?
4 Which 1981 John Huston film starred Michael Caine, Sylvester Stallone, Max von Sydow and Pelé?
5 In which year did Charles Lindbergh make his first solo flight across the Atlantic Ocean?
6 The Mediterranean island of Santorini is part of which nation?
7 Also the author of one of the Gospels, who is the patron saint of artists, physicians and surgeons, among others?
8 How many oxygen atoms are in one sulphuric acid molecule?
9 Which continent is named after a mythological princess?
10 First performed in 2013, the jukebox musical "Beautiful" concerns the life and career of which American composer and singer-songwriter (b. 1942)?

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

May 4, 2017, 9:08:00 PM5/4/17
"Calvin":
> 1 George Best made more that 350 appearances for which English
> football (soccer) club?

Manchester United?

> 2 Jeff Wayne's 1978 concept album was based on, and named for,
> which 1897 science fiction novel?

"The War of the Worlds"?

> 3 Which Australian band released the 1981 album "Business as Usual"?

Devo?

> 4 Which 1981 John Huston film starred Michael Caine, Sylvester
> Stallone, Max von Sydow and Pelé?

"You've Got Me There, Calvin".

> 5 In which year did Charles Lindbergh make his first solo flight
> across the Atlantic Ocean?

1927.

> 6 The Mediterranean island of Santorini is part of which nation?

Greece.

> 7 Also the author of one of the Gospels, who is the patron saint
> of artists, physicians and surgeons, among others?

Luke?

> 8 How many oxygen atoms are in one sulphuric acid molecule?

4.

> 9 Which continent is named after a mythological princess?

Asia?

> 10 First performed in 2013, the jukebox musical "Beautiful"
> concerns the life and career of which American composer and
> singer-songwriter (b. 1942)?

King?
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
m...@vex.net --Walt Disney

Dan Blum

May 4, 2017, 9:32:43 PM5/4/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1 George Best made more that 350 appearances for which English football (soccer) club?

Arsenal

> 2 Jeff Wayne's 1978 concept album was based on, and named for, which 1897 science fiction novel?

The War of the Worlds

> 3 Which Australian band released the 1981 album "Business as Usual"?

Men At Work

> 5 In which year did Charles Lindbergh make his first solo flight across the Atlantic Ocean?

1927

> 6 The Mediterranean island of Santorini is part of which nation?

Greece

> 7 Also the author of one of the Gospels, who is the patron saint of artists, physicians and surgeons, among others?

Luke

4

> 9 Which continent is named after a mythological princess?

Europe

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Don Piven

May 4, 2017, 10:30:25 PM5/4/17
On 5/4/17 19:57, Calvin wrote:

> 1 George Best made more that 350 appearances for which English football (soccer) club?
> 2 Jeff Wayne's 1978 concept album was based on, and named for, which 1897 science fiction novel?
War of the Worlds.
> 3 Which Australian band released the 1981 album "Business as Usual"?
Men At Work.
> 4 Which 1981 John Huston film starred Michael Caine, Sylvester Stallone, Max von Sydow and Pelé?
> 5 In which year did Charles Lindbergh make his first solo flight across the Atlantic Ocean?
1927.
> 6 The Mediterranean island of Santorini is part of which nation?
Greece.
> 7 Also the author of one of the Gospels, who is the patron saint of artists, physicians and surgeons, among others?
St Luke.
> 8 How many oxygen atoms are in one sulphuric acid molecule?
Four.
> 9 Which continent is named after a mythological princess?
Europe.
> 10 First performed in 2013, the jukebox musical "Beautiful" concerns the life and career of which American composer and singer-songwriter (b. 1942)?
Carole King.

Dan Tilque

May 5, 2017, 12:35:21 AM5/5/17
Calvin wrote:
> 1 George Best made more that 350 appearances for which English football (soccer) club?

Man U ??

> 2 Jeff Wayne's 1978 concept album was based on, and named for, which 1897 science fiction novel?

War of the Worlds

> 3 Which Australian band released the 1981 album "Business as Usual"?

Men at Work

> 4 Which 1981 John Huston film starred Michael Caine, Sylvester Stallone, Max von Sydow and Pelé?

First Blood ??

> 5 In which year did Charles Lindbergh make his first solo flight across the Atlantic Ocean?

1928

> 6 The Mediterranean island of Santorini is part of which nation?

Greece

> 7 Also the author of one of the Gospels, who is the patron saint of artists, physicians and surgeons, among others?

Luke

> 8 How many oxygen atoms are in one sulphuric acid molecule?

4

> 9 Which continent is named after a mythological princess?

Europe

> 10 First performed in 2013, the jukebox musical "Beautiful" concerns the life and career of which American composer and singer-songwriter (b. 1942)?

--
Dan Tilque

Gareth Owen

May 5, 2017, 1:37:27 AM5/5/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:

> 1 George Best made more that 350 appearances for which English
> football (soccer) club?

Manchester United

> 2 Jeff Wayne's 1978 concept album was based on, and named for, which
> 1897 science fiction novel?

The War Of The Worlds
(Richard Burton! Justin Hayward! Phil Lynnot! Erm ... David Essex!)

> 3 Which Australian band released the 1981 album "Business as
> Usual"?

Men At Work
(its the one with "Down Under" on it. My sister had it on cassette)

> 4 Which 1981 John Huston film starred Michael Caine, Sylvester
> Stallone, Max von Sydow and Pelé?

Escape To Victory (I believe just called Victory! in the US)

> 5 In which year did Charles Lindbergh make his first solo flight
> across the Atlantic Ocean?

1921??

> 6 The Mediterranean island of Santorini is part of which nation?

Italy?

> 7 Also the author of one of the Gospels, who is the patron saint of
> artists, physicians and surgeons, among others?

Luke

> 8 How many oxygen atoms are in one sulphuric acid molecule?

4. This exact question was on "Brain of Britain" last week.
(All John Brown is dead and gone,
His face you'll see no more,
For what he thought was H2O,
Was H2SO4)

> 9 Which continent is named after a mythological princess?

Europe

> 10 First performed in 2013, the jukebox musical "Beautiful" concerns
> the life and career of which American composer and singer-songwriter
> (b. 1942)?

Carole King

Gareth Owen

May 5, 2017, 1:39:01 AM5/5/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

>> 3 Which Australian band released the 1981 album "Business as Usual"?
>
> Devo?

Devo were from Cleveland.

Marc Dashevsky

May 5, 2017, 2:09:02 AM5/5/17
In article <414f575c-a00a-401e...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> 1 George Best made more that 350 appearances for which English football (soccer) club?
> 2 Jeff Wayne's 1978 concept album was based on, and named for, which 1897 science fiction novel?
> 3 Which Australian band released the 1981 album "Business as Usual"?
> 4 Which 1981 John Huston film starred Michael Caine, Sylvester Stallone, Max von Sydow and Pelé?
> 5 In which year did Charles Lindbergh make his first solo flight across the Atlantic Ocean?
1927

> 6 The Mediterranean island of Santorini is part of which nation?
> 7 Also the author of one of the Gospels, who is the patron saint of artists, physicians and surgeons, among others?
> 8 How many oxygen atoms are in one sulphuric acid molecule?
4

> 9 Which continent is named after a mythological princess?
Europe

> 10 First performed in 2013, the jukebox musical "Beautiful" concerns the life and career of which American composer and singer-songwriter (b. 1942)?
>
> cheers,
> calvin

Mark Brader

May 5, 2017, 2:48:08 AM5/5/17
Gareth Owen:
> Devo were from Cleveland.

Your palindrome needs work. :-)
--
Mark Brader | "While President Obama isn't from Kenya, he is a Keynesian--
Toronto | so you can see where the confusion arises."

Erland Sommarskog

May 5, 2017, 3:09:27 AM5/5/17
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 George Best made more that 350 appearances for which English
> football (soccer) club?

Everton

> 2 Jeff Wayne's 1978 concept album was based on, and named for, which
> 1897 science fiction novel?

War of the Worlds

> 3 Which Australian band released the 1981 album "Business as Usual"?

Midnight Oil

> 5 In which year did Charles Lindbergh make his first solo flight
> across the Atlantic Ocean?

1932

> 6 The Mediterranean island of Santorini is part of which nation?

Greece

> 7 Also the author of one of the Gospels, who is the patron saint of
> artists, physicians and surgeons, among others?

Matthew

> 8 How many oxygen atoms are in one sulphuric acid molecule?

Four

> 9 Which continent is named after a mythological princess?

Europe

Peter Smyth

May 5, 2017, 1:01:29 PM5/5/17
Calvin wrote:

> 1 George Best made more that 350 appearances for which English
> football (soccer) club?
Manchester United
> 2 Jeff Wayne's 1978 concept album was based on, and named for, which
> 1897 science fiction novel?
War of the Worlds
> 3 Which Australian band released the 1981 album "Business as Usual"?
AC/DC
> 4 Which 1981 John Huston film starred Michael Caine, Sylvester
> Stallone, Max von Sydow and Pelé?
>
> 5 In which year did Charles Lindbergh make his first solo flight
> across the Atlantic Ocean?
1932
> 6 The Mediterranean island of Santorini is part of which nation?
Italy
> 7 Also the author of one of the Gospels, who is the patron saint of
> artists, physicians and surgeons, among others?
Mark
> 8 How many oxygen atoms are in one sulphuric acid molecule?
4
> 9 Which continent is named after a mythological princess?
Europe
> 10 First performed in 2013, the jukebox musical "Beautiful" concerns
> the life and career of which American composer and singer-songwriter
> (b. 1942)?
Carole King

Peter Smyth

Gareth Owen

May 5, 2017, 1:31:42 PM5/5/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> Gareth Owen:
>> Devo were from Cleveland.
>
> Your palindrome needs work. :-)

Able was I ere I saw Akron

Pete Gayde

May 7, 2017, 5:26:16 PM5/7/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 George Best made more that 350 appearances for which English
> football (soccer) club?

Manchester United

> 2 Jeff Wayne's 1978 concept album was
> based on, and named for, which 1897 science fiction novel?

The Time Machine

> 3 Which Australian band released the 1981 album "Business as
Usual"?

Men at Work

> 4 Which 1981 John Huston film starred Michael Caine, Sylvester
> Stallone, Max von Sydow and Pelé?
> 5 In which year did Charles Lindbergh
> make his first solo flight across the Atlantic Ocean?

1927

> 6 The
> Mediterranean island of Santorini is part of which nation?

Greece

> 7 Also
> the author of one of the Gospels, who is the patron saint of artists,
> physicians and surgeons, among others?

St. John

6

> 9 Which continent is named after a mythological princess?

Europe

> 10 First performed in 2013, the jukebox
> musical "Beautiful" concerns the life and career of which American
> composer and singer-songwriter (b. 1942)?

Carole King

> cheers,
> calvin
>
> ---
> http://www.avg.com

Pete Gayde

ArenEss

May 8, 2017, 2:06:21 PM5/8/17
On Thu, 4 May 2017 17:57:17 -0700 (PDT), Calvin <334...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>1 George Best made more that 350 appearances for which English football (soccer) club?
Manchester United?

>2 Jeff Wayne's 1978 concept album was based on, and named for, which 1897 science fiction novel?
War of the World?

>3 Which Australian band released the 1981 album "Business as Usual"?
Men At Work

>4 Which 1981 John Huston film starred Michael Caine, Sylvester Stallone, Max von Sydow and Pelé?
Victory

>5 In which year did Charles Lindbergh make his first solo flight across the Atlantic Ocean?
1927

>6 The Mediterranean island of Santorini is part of which nation?
Greece

>7 Also the author of one of the Gospels, who is the patron saint of artists, physicians and surgeons, among others?
Luke

>8 How many oxygen atoms are in one sulphuric acid molecule?
Four

>9 Which continent is named after a mythological princess?
Europe

>10 First performed in 2013, the jukebox musical "Beautiful" concerns the life and career of which American composer and singer-songwriter (b. 1942)?
Carole King

>cheers,
>calvin

ArenEss

Calvin

May 11, 2017, 9:30:24 PM5/11/17
On Friday, May 5, 2017 at 10:57:18 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 George Best made more that 350 appearances for which English football (soccer) club?

Manchester United

> 2 Jeff Wayne's 1978 concept album was based on, and named for, which 1897 science fiction novel?

The War of the Worlds

> 3 Which Australian band released the 1981 album "Business as Usual"?

Men At Work

> 4 Which 1981 John Huston film starred Michael Caine, Sylvester Stallone, Max von Sydow and Pelé?

[Escape to] Victory

> 5 In which year did Charles Lindbergh make his first solo flight across the Atlantic Ocean?

1927

> 6 The Mediterranean island of Santorini is part of which nation?

Greece

> 7 Also the author of one of the Gospels, who is the patron saint of artists, physicians and surgeons, among others?

St Luke

> 8 How many oxygen atoms are in one sulphuric acid molecule?

4 [H2SO4]

> 9 Which continent is named after a mythological princess?

Europe [Europa]

> 10 First performed in 2013, the jukebox musical "Beautiful" concerns the life and career of which American composer and singer-songwriter (b. 1942)?

Carole King

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 485
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 10 66 Aren Ess
0 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 8 49 Don Piven
1 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 8 51 Gareth Owen
1 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 7 44 Dan Tilque
0 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 7 45 Dan Blum
1 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 6 31 Peter Smyth
1 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 6 38 Pete Gayde
1 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 1 6 44 Mark Brader
0 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 4 19 Erland S
0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 3 14 Marc Dashevsky
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
6 8 6 2 6 8 6 8 9 6 65 65%

Congratulations Aren, if that is your real name :-)

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

May 11, 2017, 9:51:40 PM5/11/17
"Calvin":
> > 8 How many oxygen atoms are in one sulphuric acid molecule?
>
> 4 [H2SO4]

Ahem.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "I can be gullible about these kinds of things.
m...@vex.net | Or so people tell me, and I believe them."

Calvin

May 15, 2017, 12:30:07 AM5/15/17
On Friday, May 12, 2017 at 11:51:40 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> "Calvin":
> > > 8 How many oxygen atoms are in one sulphuric acid molecule?
> >
> > 4 [H2SO4]
>
> Ahem.

Apologies, pretty unlikely that you would have missed that one.

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 485
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 10 66 Aren Ess
0 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 8 49 Don Piven
1 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 8 51 Gareth Owen
1 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 7 44 Dan Tilque
0 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 7 45 Dan Blum
1 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 7 46 Mark Brader
1 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 6 31 Peter Smyth
1 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 6 38 Pete Gayde
0 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 4 19 Erland S
0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 3 14 Marc Dashevsky
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
6 8 6 2 6 8 6 9 9 6 66 66%

cheers,
calvin

Calvin

May 18, 2017, 9:38:49 PM5/18/17

Aargh- that TB error has happened again. Re-revised scores:

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 485
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 10 66 Aren Ess
1 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 8 52 Gareth Owen
0 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 8 58 Don Piven
1 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 7 49 Mark Brader