Calvin's Quiz #557

Calvin

Mar 28, 2019, 11:49:57 PM3/28/19

1 Which fictional character created by James Thurber has been portrayed on film by Danny Kaye and Ben Stiller?
2 Which 18th century poet was known as 'The Bard of Ayrshire'?
3 What should a person suffering from coeliac disease avoid eating?
4 In relation to a series of treaties, what four words does the acronym SALT stand for?
5 Motown music originated in which US city?
6 What naturally occurring objects might be pectoral, pelvic, or caudal (among others)?
7 Aragon and Andalusia are regions in which European country?
8 Associated with Kylie Minogue, Rick Astley and Bananarama among others, which English songwriting and record producing trio had great success from the mid 1980s to early 1990s? All 3 surnames required.
9 Which sport is also known as pugilism?
10 A 1962 non-fiction bestseller by Helen Gurley Brown was titled “Sex and the … what”? Please supply the TWO missing words.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Mar 29, 2019, 12:18:07 AM3/29/19
"Calvin":
> 1 Which fictional character created by James Thurber has been
> portrayed on film by Danny Kaye and Ben Stiller?

Mitty. Walter Mitty.

> 2 Which 18th century poet was known as 'The Bard of Ayrshire'?

Burns.

> 3 What should a person suffering from coeliac disease avoid eating?

Gluten.

> 4 In relation to a series of treaties, what four words does the
> acronym SALT stand for?

Strategic Arms Limitation Talks.

> 5 Motown music originated in which US city?

Detroit.

> 6 What naturally occurring objects might be pectoral, pelvic, or
> caudal (among others)?

Fins?

> 7 Aragon and Andalusia are regions in which European country?

Spain.

> 8 Associated with Kylie Minogue, Rick Astley and Bananarama among
> others, which English songwriting and record producing trio had
> great success from the mid 1980s to early 1990s? All 3 surnames
> required.

Johnson, Johnson, and Johnson. Was I close? :-)

> 9 Which sport is also known as pugilism?

Boxing. If we must describe it as a sport.

> 10 A 1962 non-fiction bestseller by Helen Gurley Brown was titled
> "Sex and the ... what"? Please supply the TWO missing words.

Single Girl.
--
Mark Brader | ...politicians are forever seeking a "level playing field":
Toronto | it lets them talk out of both sides of their mouth.

Erland Sommarskog

Mar 29, 2019, 3:41:36 AM3/29/19
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 2 Which 18th century poet was known as 'The Bard of Ayrshire'?

Lord Byron

> 5 Motown music originated in which US city?

Memphis

> 7 Aragon and Andalusia are regions in which European country?

Spain

> 9 Which sport is also known as pugilism?

Boxing

Dan Blum

Mar 29, 2019, 9:53:55 AM3/29/19
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1 Which fictional character created by James Thurber has been portrayed on film by Danny Kaye and Ben Stiller?

Walter Mitty

> 2 Which 18th century poet was known as 'The Bard of Ayrshire'?

Robert Burns

> 3 What should a person suffering from coeliac disease avoid eating?

gluten

> 4 In relation to a series of treaties, what four words does the acronym SALT stand for?

strategic arms limitation treaty

> 5 Motown music originated in which US city?

Detroit

> 6 What naturally occurring objects might be pectoral, pelvic, or caudal (among others)?

muscles

> 7 Aragon and Andalusia are regions in which European country?

Spain

> 9 Which sport is also known as pugilism?

boxing

> 10 A 1962 non-fiction bestseller by Helen Gurley Brown was titled ???Sex and the ??? what???? Please supply the TWO missing words.

Single Girl

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Mark Brader

Mar 29, 2019, 2:12:32 PM3/29/19
"Calvin":
> > 4 In relation to a series of treaties, what four words does the
> acronym SALT stand for?

Dan Blum:
> strategic arms limitation treaty

Hmm, that also makes sense. Looks to me as though both answers (Dan's
and mine) are correct.
--
Mark Brader | Many "business-oriented" packagings of these
Toronto | [UNIXes] ... omit the games section. Those
| as worker insects of some sort. -- "J. E. Lapin"

Dan Blum

Mar 29, 2019, 2:56:30 PM3/29/19
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:
> "Calvin":
> > > 4 In relation to a series of treaties, what four words does the
> > acronym SALT stand for?
>
> Dan Blum:
> > strategic arms limitation treaty

> Hmm, that also makes sense. Looks to me as though both answers (Dan's
> and mine) are correct.

I think "talks" is actually correct now that I look it up.

Dan Tilque

Apr 1, 2019, 2:07:18 AM4/1/19
Calvin wrote:
> 1 Which fictional character created by James Thurber has been portrayed on film by Danny Kaye and Ben Stiller?
> 2 Which 18th century poet was known as 'The Bard of Ayrshire'?
> 3 What should a person suffering from coeliac disease avoid eating?

gluten

> 4 In relation to a series of treaties, what four words does the acronym SALT stand for?

Strategic Arms Limitation Treaty

> 5 Motown music originated in which US city?

Detroit

> 6 What naturally occurring objects might be pectoral, pelvic, or caudal (among others)?

muscles

> 7 Aragon and Andalusia are regions in which European country?

Spain

> 8 Associated with Kylie Minogue, Rick Astley and Bananarama among others, which English songwriting and record producing trio had great success from the mid 1980s to early 1990s? All 3 surnames required.
> 9 Which sport is also known as pugilism?

boxing

> 10 A 1962 non-fiction bestseller by Helen Gurley Brown was titled “Sex and the … what”? Please supply the TWO missing words.

Single Girl

--
Dan Tilque

Pete Gayde

Apr 1, 2019, 3:27:23 PM4/1/19
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 Which fictional character created by James Thurber has been
> portrayed on film by Danny Kaye and Ben Stiller?

Walter Mitty

> 2 Which 18th century poet was known as 'The Bard of Ayrshire'?

Burns

> 3 What should a person suffering from coeliac disease avoid eating?

Gluten

> 4 In relation
> to a series of treaties, what four words does the acronym SALT stand
> for?

Strategic Arms Limitation Talks

> 5 Motown music originated in which US city?

Detroit

> 6 What naturally occurring objects might be pectoral, pelvic, or
> caudal (among others)?

Fins

> 7 Aragon and Andalusia are regions in which European country?

Spain

> 8 Associated with Kylie Minogue, Rick Astley and
> Bananarama among others, which English songwriting and record
> producing trio had great success from the mid 1980s to early 1990s?
> All 3 surnames required.
> 9 Which sport is also known as pugilism?

Boxing

> 10 A 1962 non-fiction bestseller by Helen Gurley Brown was titled
> “Sex and the … what”? Please supply the TWO missing words.

Single Girl

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Bruce Bowler

Apr 2, 2019, 3:49:01 PM4/2/19
On Thu, 28 Mar 2019 20:49:56 -0700, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which fictional character created by James Thurber has been
portrayed
> on film by Danny Kaye and Ben Stiller?

Walter Mitty

> 2 Which 18th century poet was known as 'The Bard of Ayrshire'?
> 3 What should a person suffering from coeliac disease avoid eating?

Gluten

> 4 In relation to a series of treaties, what four words does the
acronym
> SALT stand for?

Strategic Arms Limitation Treaty

> 5 Motown music originated in which US city?

Detroit

> 6 What naturally occurring objects might be pectoral, pelvic, or
caudal
> (among others)?

Nerve

> 7 Aragon and Andalusia are regions in which European country?

Spain

> 8 Associated with Kylie Minogue, Rick Astley and Bananarama among
> others, which English songwriting and record producing trio had great
> success from the mid 1980s to early 1990s? All 3 surnames required.
> 9 Which sport is also known as pugilism?

Boxing

> 10 A 1962 non-fiction bestseller by Helen Gurley Brown was titled
“Sex
> and the … what”? Please supply the TWO missing words.

Single Woman

> cheers,
> calvin

Calvin

Apr 4, 2019, 9:28:47 PM4/4/19
On Friday, March 29, 2019 at 1:49:57 PM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which fictional character created by James Thurber has been portrayed on film by Danny Kaye and Ben Stiller?

Walter Mitty

> 2 Which 18th century poet was known as 'The Bard of Ayrshire'?

Robbie Burns

> 3 What should a person suffering from coeliac disease avoid eating?

Gluten

> 4 In relation to a series of treaties, what four words does the acronym SALT stand for?

Strategic Arms Limitation Treaty / Talks
My original notes say to accept either

> 5 Motown music originated in which US city?

Detroit

> 6 What naturally occurring objects might be pectoral, pelvic, or caudal (among others)?

Fins

> 7 Aragon and Andalusia are regions in which European country?

Spain

> 8 Associated with Kylie Minogue, Rick Astley and Bananarama among others, which English songwriting and record producing trio had great success from the mid 1980s to early 1990s? All 3 surnames required.

Stock, Aitken and Waterman
No one got this. Where's Gareth when you need him?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_produced_by_Stock_Aitken_Waterman

> 9 Which sport is also known as pugilism?

Boxing

> 10 A 1962 non-fiction bestseller by Helen Gurley Brown was titled “Sex and the … what”? Please supply the TWO missing words.

Single Girl

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 557
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 9 41 Mark Brader
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 9 41 Pete Gayde
1 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 1 8 39 Dan Blum
1 0 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 1 7 36 Bruce Bowler