Calvin's Quiz #516

Calvin

Apr 22, 2018, 10:47:06 PM4/22/18
1 What three words complete this adage: “The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that...”?
2 Kathryn Bigelow received a Best Director Oscar, the first female to do so, for which 2010 film?
3 In which century was the Battle of the Boyne fought near Drogheda in Ireland, between the forces of King James II of England, and the Dutch Prince William of Orange?
4 Who was assassinated in the kitchen of the Ambassador Hotel in LA in 1968?
5 What sport is played professionally (and inter-continentally) by the Toronto Wolfpack?
6 Which syndrome do the TV characters Lisa Simpson and Jan Brady supposedly suffer from?
7 The Pan-American highway extends from Prudhoe Bay in Alaska to Ushuaia in southern Argentina. It is continuous but for the c. 150 km Darien Gap, located in which Central American country?
8 At around 200,000 km, which country has the world's longest coastline?
9 Which Irish-American considers himself Lord of the Dance?
10 Which crustacean provides the staple diet of the blue whale?

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Apr 23, 2018, 12:35:02 AM4/23/18
Calvin:
> 1 What three words complete this adage: "The hand that
> rocks the cradle is the hand that..."?

"Rules the World".

> 2 Kathryn Bigelow received a Best Director Oscar, the
> first female to do so, for which 2010 film?

"The Hurt Locker".

> 3 In which century was the Battle of the Boyne fought
> near Drogheda in Ireland, between the forces of King
> James II of England, and the Dutch Prince William of
> Orange?

17th.

> 4 Who was assassinated in the kitchen of the Ambassador
> Hotel in LA in 1968?

Robert Kennedy.

> 5 What sport is played professionally (and
> inter-continentally) by the Toronto Wolfpack?

Rugby.

> 6 Which syndrome do the TV characters Lisa Simpson and
> Jan Brady supposedly suffer from?

ADHD?

> 7 The Pan-American highway extends from Prudhoe Bay in
> Alaska to Ushuaia in southern Argentina. It is continuous
> but for the c. 150 km Darien Gap, located in which
> Central American country?

Panama.

> 8 At around 200,000 km, which country has the world's
> longest coastline?

Canada.

> 9 Which Irish-American considers himself Lord of the Dance?

Flatley.

> 10 Which crustacean provides the staple diet of the blue whale?

Krill.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "'Other than they typo'? Oh, the irony!"
m...@vex.net | --Stan Brown

Pete Gayde

Apr 23, 2018, 12:44:33 AM4/23/18
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 What three words complete this adage: “The hand that rocks the
> cradle is the hand that...”?
> 2 Kathryn Bigelow received a Best
> Director Oscar, the first female to do so, for which 2010 film?
> 3
> In which century was the Battle of the Boyne fought near Drogheda in
> Ireland, between the forces of King James II of England, and the Dutch
> Prince William of Orange?

13th

> 4 Who was assassinated in the kitchen of
> the Ambassador Hotel in LA in 1968?

Robert Kennedy

> 5 What sport is played
> professionally (and inter-continentally) by the Toronto Wolfpack?

Rugby

> 6
> Which syndrome do the TV characters Lisa Simpson and Jan Brady
> supposedly suffer from?

Middle child

> 7 The Pan-American highway extends from
> Prudhoe Bay in Alaska to Ushuaia in southern Argentina. It is
> continuous but for the c. 150 km Darien Gap, located in which Central
> American country?

Panama

> 8 At around 200,000 km, which country has the
> world's longest coastline?

Russia

> 9 Which Irish-American considers himself Lord of the Dance?

Flatley

> 10 Which crustacean provides the staple
> diet of the blue whale?

Krill

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Joe

Apr 23, 2018, 1:53:22 AM4/23/18
On 2018-04-23 02:47:05 +0000, Calvin said:

> 1 What three words complete this adage: “The hand that rocks the cradle
> is the hand that...”?

Moves the Earth

> 2 Kathryn Bigelow received a Best Director Oscar, the first female to
> do so, for which 2010 film?

Hurt Locker

> 3 In which century was the Battle of the Boyne fought near Drogheda in
> Ireland, between the forces of King James II of England, and the Dutch
> Prince William of Orange?

17th

> 4 Who was assassinated in the kitchen of the Ambassador Hotel in LA in 1968?

Lee Harvey Oswald

> 5 What sport is played professionally (and inter-continentally) by the
> Toronto Wolfpack?

Baseball

> 6 Which syndrome do the TV characters Lisa Simpson and Jan Brady
> supposedly suffer from?

Aspergers

> 7 The Pan-American highway extends from Prudhoe Bay in Alaska to
> Ushuaia in southern Argentina. It is continuous but for the c. 150 km
> Darien Gap, located in which Central American country?

Panama

> 8 At around 200,000 km, which country has the world's longest coastline?

Australia

> 9
> Which Irish-American considers himself Lord of the Dance?

Michael Flaherty

--
“To err, as they say, is human. To forgive is divine. To err by
withholding your forgiveness until it’s too late is to become divinely

Joe

Apr 23, 2018, 2:20:19 AM4/23/18
On 2018-04-23 05:53:20 +0000, Joe said:

> On 2018-04-23 02:47:05 +0000, Calvin said:
>

>> 4 Who was assassinated in the kitchen of the Ambassador Hotel in LA in 1968?
>
> Lee Harvey Oswald

I really must get my eyes tested. Read 8 as 3 and missed the LA bit.

Marc Dashevsky

Apr 23, 2018, 5:10:43 AM4/23/18
In article <253db4a9-d07f-4279...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> 1 What three words complete this adage: ?The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that...??
> 2 Kathryn Bigelow received a Best Director Oscar, the first female to do so, for which 2010 film?
Hurt Locker

> 3 In which century was the Battle of the Boyne fought near Drogheda in Ireland, between the forces of King James II of England, and the Dutch Prince William of Orange?
> 4 Who was assassinated in the kitchen of the Ambassador Hotel in LA in 1968?
Robert Kennedy

> 5 What sport is played professionally (and inter-continentally) by the Toronto Wolfpack?
> 6 Which syndrome do the TV characters Lisa Simpson and Jan Brady supposedly suffer from?
> 7 The Pan-American highway extends from Prudhoe Bay in Alaska to Ushuaia in southern Argentina. It is continuous but for the c. 150 km Darien Gap, located in which Central American country?
Panama

> 8 At around 200,000 km, which country has the world's longest coastline?
> 9 Which Irish-American considers himself Lord of the Dance?
Flatley

> 10 Which crustacean provides the staple diet of the blue whale?
krill

> cheers,
> calvin

Peter Smyth

Apr 23, 2018, 10:51:39 AM4/23/18
Calvin wrote:

> 1 What three words complete this adage: “The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that...”?
> 2 Kathryn Bigelow received a Best Director Oscar, the first female to do so, for which 2010 film?
> 3 In which century was the Battle of the Boyne fought near Drogheda in Ireland, between the forces of King James II of England, and the Dutch Prince William of Orange?
17th
> 4 Who was assassinated in the kitchen of the Ambassador Hotel in LA in 1968?
> 5 What sport is played professionally (and inter-continentally) by the Toronto Wolfpack?
Rugby League
> 6 Which syndrome do the TV characters Lisa Simpson and Jan Brady supposedly suffer from?
> 7 The Pan-American highway extends from Prudhoe Bay in Alaska to Ushuaia in southern Argentina. It is continuous but for the c. 150 km Darien Gap, located in which Central American country?
Panama
> 8 At around 200,000 km, which country has the world's longest coastline?
Canada
> 9 Which Irish-American considers himself Lord of the Dance?
Michael Flatley
> 10 Which crustacean provides the staple diet of the blue whale?
Krill

Peter Smyth

Dan Tilque

Apr 23, 2018, 3:54:43 PM4/23/18
Calvin wrote:
> 1 What three words complete this adage: “The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that...”?
> 2 Kathryn Bigelow received a Best Director Oscar, the first female to do so, for which 2010 film?
> 3 In which century was the Battle of the Boyne fought near Drogheda in Ireland, between the forces of King James II of England, and the Dutch Prince William of Orange?

17th

> 4 Who was assassinated in the kitchen of the Ambassador Hotel in LA in 1968?

Robert Kennedy

> 5 What sport is played professionally (and inter-continentally) by the Toronto Wolfpack?

rugby

> 6 Which syndrome do the TV characters Lisa Simpson and Jan Brady supposedly suffer from?
> 7 The Pan-American highway extends from Prudhoe Bay in Alaska to Ushuaia in southern Argentina. It is continuous but for the c. 150 km Darien Gap, located in which Central American country?

Panama

> 8 At around 200,000 km, which country has the world's longest coastline?

Indonesia

> 9 Which Irish-American considers himself Lord of the Dance?
> 10 Which crustacean provides the staple diet of the blue whale?

krill

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Apr 23, 2018, 3:58:48 PM4/23/18
"Calvin":
>>> 4 Who was assassinated in the kitchen of the Ambassador Hotel in LA in 1968?

John Masters:
>> Lee Harvey Oswald

> I really must get my eyes tested. Read 8 as 3 and missed the LA bit.

And mistook the hotel kitchen for a police station?
--
Mark Brader | "It is in the nature of precaution
Toronto | that the more successful it is

Joe

Apr 23, 2018, 4:17:08 PM4/23/18
On 2018-04-23 19:58:42 +0000, Mark Brader said:

> "Calvin":
>
> John Masters:
>>> Lee Harvey Oswald
>
>> I really must get my eyes tested. Read 8 as 3 and missed the LA bit.
>
> And mistook the hotel kitchen for a police station?

Yeah, that as well. Just been watching La Femme Nikita again and
subliminally associated assinations/shoot outs with kitchens.

Erland Sommarskog

Apr 23, 2018, 5:18:44 PM4/23/18
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 What three words complete this adage: ?The hand that rocks the
> cradle is the hand that...??

rocks the baby

> 3 In which century was the Battle of the Boyne fought near Drogheda
> in Ireland, between the forces of King James II of England, and the
> Dutch Prince William of Orange?

17th

> 4 Who was assassinated in the kitchen of the Ambassador Hotel in LA
> in 1968?

Robert Kennedy

> 5 What sport is played professionally (and inter-continentally) by
> the Toronto Wolfpack?

How much did Mark bribe you to get that question in?

Baseball?

> 6 Which syndrome do the TV characters Lisa Simpson and Jan Brady
> supposedly suffer from?

Tourette

> 7 The Pan-American highway extends from Prudhoe Bay in Alaska to
> Ushuaia in southern Argentina. It is continuous but for the c. 150 km
> Darien Gap, located in which Central American country?

Panamá

There are actually two southern endpoints for the Pan-Am Highway, as
it splits around Santiago. The other end is in Quellón on the island
of Chiloé. (And to be really picky it continues 10 km past Ushuaia to
some national park.)

> 8 At around 200,000 km, which country has the world's longest
> coastline?

Russia

> 10 Which crustacean provides the staple diet of the blue whale?

Crevice

Mark Brader

Apr 23, 2018, 8:33:44 PM4/23/18
"Calvin":
> > 5 What sport is played professionally (and inter-continentally) by
> > the Toronto Wolfpack?

Erland Sommarskog:
> How much did Mark bribe you to get that question in?

Actually, the only reason I knew that one was that I saw a news item
a few days ago mentioning them in connection with the new team here
this year that will be playing the *other* kind of rugby.
--
Mark Brader | "It is, in fact, a very good rule to be especially suspicious
Toronto | of work that says what you want to hear..."

Dan Blum

Apr 23, 2018, 10:17:28 PM4/23/18
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1 What three words complete this adage: ???The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that...????

rules the world

> 2 Kathryn Bigelow received a Best Director Oscar, the first female to do so, for which 2010 film?

The Hurt Locker

> 3 In which century was the Battle of the Boyne fought near Drogheda in Ireland, between the forces of King James II of England, and the Dutch Prince William of Orange?

17th

> 4 Who was assassinated in the kitchen of the Ambassador Hotel in LA in 1968?

Robert Kennedy

> 6 Which syndrome do the TV characters Lisa Simpson and Jan Brady supposedly suffer from?

middle-child syndrome

> 7 The Pan-American highway extends from Prudhoe Bay in Alaska to Ushuaia in southern Argentina. It is continuous but for the c. 150 km Darien Gap, located in which Central American country?

Panama

> 8 At around 200,000 km, which country has the world's longest coastline?

Russia

> 9 Which Irish-American considers himself Lord of the Dance?

Flatley

> 10 Which crustacean provides the staple diet of the blue whale?

krill

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Gareth Owen

Apr 24, 2018, 1:34:06 PM4/24/18
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:

> 1 What three words complete this adage: “The hand that rocks the
> cradle is the hand that...”?

Rules the world

> 2 Kathryn Bigelow received a Best Director Oscar, the first female to
> do so, for which 2010 film?

The Hurt Locker

> 3 In which century was the Battle of the Boyne fought near Drogheda in
> Ireland, between the forces of King James II of England, and the Dutch
> Prince William of Orange?

17th

> 4 Who was assassinated in the kitchen of the Ambassador Hotel in LA in
> 1968?

Robert Kennedy

> 5 What sport is played professionally (and inter-continentally) by the
> Toronto Wolfpack?

Rugby League

> 6 Which syndrome do the TV characters Lisa Simpson and Jan Brady
> supposedly suffer from?

Tourettes

> 7 The Pan-American highway extends from Prudhoe Bay in Alaska to
> Ushuaia in southern Argentina. It is continuous but for the c. 150 km
> Darien Gap, located in which Central American country?

Panama?

> 8 At around 200,000 km, which country has the world's longest
> coastline?

Canada

> 9 Which Irish-American considers himself Lord of the Dance?

Michael Flateley (sp?)

> 10 Which crustacean provides the staple diet of the blue whale?

Krill

Calvin

Apr 26, 2018, 9:37:56 PM4/26/18
On Monday, April 23, 2018 at 12:47:06 PM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:
> 1 What three words complete this adage: “The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that...”?

rules the world

> 2 Kathryn Bigelow received a Best Director Oscar, the first female to do so, for which 2010 film?

The Hurt Locker

> 3 In which century was the Battle of the Boyne fought near Drogheda in Ireland, between the forces of King James II of England, and the Dutch Prince William of Orange?

17th [1690]

> 4 Who was assassinated in the kitchen of the Ambassador Hotel in LA in 1968?

Robert Kennedy

> 5 What sport is played professionally (and inter-continentally) by the Toronto Wolfpack?

Rugby League
I accepted either word, even though 'rugby' alone would be marked wrong in Australia. The word means different things in different places.

> 6 Which syndrome do the TV characters Lisa Simpson and Jan Brady supposedly suffer from?

Middle Child syndrome

> 7 The Pan-American highway extends from Prudhoe Bay in Alaska to Ushuaia in southern Argentina. It is continuous but for the c. 150 km Darien Gap, located in which Central American country?

Panama
It's a little more complicated as Erland explained

> 8 At around 200,000 km, which country has the world's longest coastline?

Canada, eh

> 9 Which Irish-American considers himself Lord of the Dance?

Michael Flatley

> 10 Which crustacean provides the staple diet of the blue whale?

Krill

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 516
1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 9 50 Mark Brader
1 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 1 1 8 45 Dan Blum
0 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 6 35 Pete Gayde
0 0 1 0 1 0 1 1 1 1 6 35 Peter Smyth
1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 5 27 Gareth Owen
0 1 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 5 33 Joe
0 1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 5 33 Marc Dashevsky
0 0 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 5 34 Dan Tilque
0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 3 22 Erland S
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
3 5 7 7 5 2 8 2 6 7 52 58%

Congratulations Mark.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Apr 26, 2018, 11:03:56 PM4/26/18
"Calvin":
> Congratulations Mark.

Thankew!
--
Mark Brader, Toronto Attenton to dteail; thats' the secreg.
m...@vex.net --Robin Bignall

Joe

Apr 27, 2018, 3:23:48 AM4/27/18
I got Q9 wrong

Gareth Owen

Apr 27, 2018, 1:52:55 PM4/27/18
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:

>> 7 The Pan-American highway extends from Prudhoe Bay in Alaska to
>> Ushuaia in southern Argentina. It is continuous but for the c. 150
>> km Darien Gap, located in which Central American country?
>
> Panama
> It's a little more complicated as Erland explained

I got this one

>> 8 At around 200,000 km, which country has the world's longest coastline?
>
> Canada, eh

This one too

>> 9 Which Irish-American considers himself Lord of the Dance?
>
> Michael Flatley

And this one

>> 10 Which crustacean provides the staple diet of the blue whale?
>
> Krill

And this one

Calvin

Apr 29, 2018, 8:28:42 PM4/29/18
Apologies for the errors. I must be out of practice.

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 516
1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 9 53 Mark Brader
1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 9 53 Gareth Owen
1 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 1 1 8 47 Dan Blum
0 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 6 37 Pete Gayde