Erland's occasional quiz: Odd one out!

Erland Sommarskog

Jun 25, 2019, 4:10:55 PM6/25/19
Here is another occasional quiz of mine. For each question you are
given a topic and five items. Four of these items have something in
common (within the given topic), and your task is to identify the
odd one. There is no requirement to motivate your answer, nor do
you get any point if you do. ...however, if you don't give a motivation,
your answer *must' agree with what I have in mind. If you answer
something else that I had intended, I may still award a point if
I think you have spotted something significant enough.

As usual: only answer based on your in knowledge. Don't google,
don't ask the wife and don't roll a dice. Post your answers to the
newsgroup.

I'll keep the quiz open a week or so.

Have fun!

1. Math.
1998, 306, 625, 729, 81.

2. Music:
Ronnie James Dio, Ian Gillan, Glenn Hughes, Ozzy Osbourne,
Robert Plant,

3. Business:
Bang & Olufsen, BoConcept, Carlsberg, IKEA, Lego,

4. Language:
Czech, German, Hungarian, Romanian, Slovak.

5. Science:
candela, kelvin, metre, second, volt.

6. City travel:
Charle de Gaulle Étoile, Montmatre, Oberkampf, Odéon,
Porte de Glignancourt.

7. Food:
farfalle, gnocchi, linguine, margherita, penne.

8. Science and language:
azote, ilt, oxygen, Sauerstoff, syre.

9. Current sport events:
Germany, Japan, Norway, Sweden, USA.

10. Entertainment:
Pierre Brosnan, Sean Connery, Daniel Craig, Roger Moore, Bruce Willis.

11. Politics:
Jair Bolsonaro, Emmanuel Macron, Narendra Modi, Vladimir Putin,
Donald Trump,

12. Transport:
Air Canada, Air New Zealand, British Airways, Lufthansa,
Singapore Airlines.

Mark Brader

Jun 25, 2019, 5:27:51 PM6/25/19
Erland Sommarskog:
> 1. Math.
> 1998, 306, 625, 729, 81.

625 - only one not a multiple of 9.

> 2. Music:
> Ronnie James Dio, Ian Gillan, Glenn Hughes, Ozzy Osbourne,
> Robert Plant,

Ozzy Osbourne - only one whose first name is a nickanme based on his surname?

> 3. Business:
> Bang & Olufsen, BoConcept, Carlsberg, IKEA, Lego,

BoConcept - only one I haven't heart of. :-)
Ikea - only one not based in Denmark?

4. Language:
> Czech, German, Hungarian, Romanian, Slovak.

Hungarian - only non-Indo-European language.

> 5. Science:
> candela, kelvin, metre, second, volt.

Metre - only misspelled one. :-)
Seriously: Candela - only one that isn't a base unit.

> 6. City travel:
> Charle de Gaulle Étoile, Montmatre, Oberkampf, Odéon,
> Porte de Glignancourt.

Tricky: two are spelled correctly and three aren't.
Montmatre (or Montmartre) - no such station on the Paris Metro.

> 7. Food:
> farfalle, gnocchi, linguine, margherita, penne.

Margherita - not a pasta.

> 8. Science and language:
> azote, ilt, oxygen, Sauerstoff, syre.

I never heard of ilt, but I'll guess it's oxygen in some language.
Azote isn't, and that's my answer.

> 9. Current sport events:
> Germany, Japan, Norway, Sweden, USA.

USA - they are holding no sporting events Erland thinks are interesting?

> 10. Entertainment:
> Pierre Brosnan, Sean Connery, Daniel Craig, Roger Moore, Bruce Willis.

Willis - never played James Bond.

> 11. Politics:
> Jair Bolsonaro, Emmanuel Macron, Narendra Modi, Vladimir Putin,
> Donald Trump,

Modi - only one to be prime minister rather than president?

> 12. Transport:
> Air Canada, Air New Zealand, British Airways, Lufthansa,
> Singapore Airlines.

BA - only one serving all inhabited continents?
--
Mark Brader | "...what can be asserted without evidence
Toronto | can also be dismissed without evidence."

Dan Blum

Jun 25, 2019, 7:25:37 PM6/25/19
Erland Sommarskog <esq...@sommarskog.se> wrote:

> 1. Math.
> 1998, 306, 625, 729, 81.

625

> 2. Music:
> Ronnie James Dio, Ian Gillan, Glenn Hughes, Ozzy Osbourne,
> Robert Plant,

Robert Plant

> 3. Business:
> Bang & Olufsen, BoConcept, Carlsberg, IKEA, Lego,

IKEA

> 4. Language:
> Czech, German, Hungarian, Romanian, Slovak.

Hungarian

> 5. Science:
> candela, kelvin, metre, second, volt.

second

> 6. City travel:
> Charle de Gaulle ?toile, Montmatre, Oberkampf, Od?on,
> Porte de Glignancourt.

Odeon

> 7. Food:
> farfalle, gnocchi, linguine, margherita, penne.

margherita

> 8. Science and language:
> azote, ilt, oxygen, Sauerstoff, syre.

syre

> 9. Current sport events:
> Germany, Japan, Norway, Sweden, USA.

Japan

> 10. Entertainment:
> Pierre Brosnan, Sean Connery, Daniel Craig, Roger Moore, Bruce Willis.

Bruce Willis

> 11. Politics:
> Jair Bolsonaro, Emmanuel Macron, Narendra Modi, Vladimir Putin,
> Donald Trump,

Emmanuel Macron

> 12. Transport:
> Air Canada, Air New Zealand, British Airways, Lufthansa,
> Singapore Airlines.

Lufthansa

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Mark Brader

Jun 25, 2019, 8:31:08 PM6/25/19
Mark Brader:
> BoConcept - only one I haven't heart of. :-)
> Ikea - only one not based in Denmark?

Clarification: ":-)" was marking a joke answer, not part of my entry.
I meant to add "Seriously" on the next line.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net
"I am good at fooling myself into believing that what I wrote

swp

Jun 25, 2019, 11:18:20 PM6/25/19
On Tuesday, June 25, 2019 at 4:10:55 PM UTC-4, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> Here is another occasional quiz of mine. For each question you are
> given a topic and five items. Four of these items have something in
> common (within the given topic), and your task is to identify the
> odd one. There is no requirement to motivate your answer, nor do
> you get any point if you do. ...however, if you don't give a motivation,
> your answer *must' agree with what I have in mind. If you answer
> something else that I had intended, I may still award a point if
> I think you have spotted something significant enough.
>
> As usual: only answer based on your in knowledge. Don't google,
> don't ask the wife and don't roll a dice. Post your answers to the
> newsgroup.
>
> I'll keep the quiz open a week or so.
>
> Have fun!
>

> 1. Math.
> 1998, 306, 625, 729, 81.

625

> 2. Music:
> Ronnie James Dio, Ian Gillan, Glenn Hughes, Ozzy Osbourne,
> Robert Plant,

robert plant - never a frontman for black sabbath

> 3. Business:
> Bang & Olufsen, BoConcept, Carlsberg, IKEA, Lego,

ikea

> 4. Language:
> Czech, German, Hungarian, Romanian, Slovak.

hungarian

> 5. Science:
> candela, kelvin, metre, second, volt.

candela

> 6. City travel:
> Charle de Gaulle Étoile, Montmatre, Oberkampf, Odéon,
> Porte de Glignancourt.

odéon

> 7. Food:
> farfalle, gnocchi, linguine, margherita, penne.

margherita

> 8. Science and language:
> azote, ilt, oxygen, Sauerstoff, syre.

azote

> 9. Current sport events:
> Germany, Japan, Norway, Sweden, USA.

japan - did not win in round of 16 at FWWC in france

> 10. Entertainment:
> Pierre Brosnan, Sean Connery, Daniel Craig, Roger Moore, Bruce Willis.

bruce willis

> 11. Politics:
> Jair Bolsonaro, Emmanuel Macron, Narendra Modi, Vladimir Putin,
> Donald Trump,

narendra modi

> 12. Transport:
> Air Canada, Air New Zealand, British Airways, Lufthansa,
> Singapore Airlines.

lufthansa - not a flag carrier airline

swp

Bruce Bowler

Jun 26, 2019, 8:48:19 AM6/26/19
On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 22:10:55 +0200, Erland Sommarskog wrote:

> Here is another occasional quiz of mine. For each question you are given
> a topic and five items. Four of these items have something in common
> (within the given topic), and your task is to identify the odd one.
> There is no requirement to motivate your answer, nor do you get any
> point if you do. ...however, if you don't give a motivation,
> your answer *must' agree with what I have in mind. If you answer
> something else that I had intended, I may still award a point if I think
> you have spotted something significant enough.
>
> As usual: only answer based on your in knowledge. Don't google,
> don't ask the wife and don't roll a dice. Post your answers to the
> newsgroup.
>
> I'll keep the quiz open a week or so.
>
> Have fun!
>

> 1. Math.
> 1998, 306, 625, 729, 81.
>
> 2. Music:
> Ronnie James Dio, Ian Gillan, Glenn Hughes, Ozzy Osbourne,
> Robert Plant,
>
> 3. Business:
> Bang & Olufsen, BoConcept, Carlsberg, IKEA, Lego,

BoConcept. The others are all named, at least in part, after people

> 4. Language:
> Czech, German, Hungarian, Romanian, Slovak.
>
> 5. Science:
> candela, kelvin, metre, second, volt.

Volt. The others are all SI units

> 6. City travel:
> Charle de Gaulle Étoile, Montmatre, Oberkampf, Odéon, Porte de
> Glignancourt.

Oberkampf. The others are stops on the Paris metro

> 7. Food:
> farfalle, gnocchi, linguine, margherita, penne.

Margherita. The others are all types of pasta

> 8. Science and language:
> azote, ilt, oxygen, Sauerstoff, syre.

azote is nitrogen, the others are all oxygen

> 9. Current sport events:
> Germany, Japan, Norway, Sweden, USA.

Japan is out of the world cup

> 10. Entertainment:
> Pierre Brosnan, Sean Connery, Daniel Craig, Roger Moore, Bruce
> Willis.

Bruce Willis never played 007.

> 11. Politics:
> Jair Bolsonaro, Emmanuel Macron, Narendra Modi, Vladimir Putin,
> Donald Trump,

Trump. The only world leader with no prior political experience.

Pete Gayde

Jun 26, 2019, 1:27:33 PM6/26/19
Erland Sommarskog <esq...@sommarskog.se> wrote in

> Here is another occasional quiz of mine. For each question you are
> given a topic and five items. Four of these items have something in
> common (within the given topic), and your task is to identify the
> odd one. There is no requirement to motivate your answer, nor do
> you get any point if you do. ...however, if you don't give a
> motivation, your answer *must' agree with what I have in mind. If you
> answer something else that I had intended, I may still award a point
> if I think you have spotted something significant enough.
>
> As usual: only answer based on your in knowledge. Don't google,
> don't ask the wife and don't roll a dice. Post your answers to the
> newsgroup.
>
> I'll keep the quiz open a week or so.
>
> Have fun!
>

> 1. Math.
> 1998, 306, 625, 729, 81.

306

> 2. Music:
> Ronnie James Dio, Ian Gillan, Glenn Hughes, Ozzy Osbourne,
> Robert Plant,

Glenn Hughes

> 3. Business:
> Bang & Olufsen, BoConcept, Carlsberg, IKEA, Lego,

IKEA

> 4. Language:
> Czech, German, Hungarian, Romanian, Slovak.

Hungarian

> 5. Science:
> candela, kelvin, metre, second, volt.

Second

> 6. City travel:
> Charle de Gaulle Étoile, Montmatre, Oberkampf, Odéon,
> Porte de Glignancourt.

Porte de Glignancourt

> 7. Food:
> farfalle, gnocchi, linguine, margherita, penne.

Gnocchi

> 8. Science and language:
> azote, ilt, oxygen, Sauerstoff, syre.

syre

> 9. Current sport events:
> Germany, Japan, Norway, Sweden, USA.

Japan

> 10. Entertainment:
> Pierre Brosnan, Sean Connery, Daniel Craig, Roger Moore, Bruce
> Willis.

Bruce Willis

> 11. Politics:
> Jair Bolsonaro, Emmanuel Macron, Narendra Modi, Vladimir Putin,
> Donald Trump,

Macron

> 12. Transport:
> Air Canada, Air New Zealand, British Airways, Lufthansa,
> Singapore Airlines.

Air New Zealand

Pete Gayde

Joshua Kreitzer

Jun 26, 2019, 9:03:27 PM6/26/19
> Here is another occasional quiz of mine. For each question you are
> given a topic and five items. Four of these items have something in
> common (within the given topic), and your task is to identify the
> odd one. There is no requirement to motivate your answer, nor do
> you get any point if you do. ...however, if you don't give a
> motivation, your answer *must' agree with what I have in mind. If you
> answer something else that I had intended, I may still award a point
> if I think you have spotted something significant enough.
>

> 1. Math.
> 1998, 306, 625, 729, 81.

625
(only one that is not a multiple of 9)

> 4. Language:
> Czech, German, Hungarian, Romanian, Slovak.

Hungarian

> 7. Food:
> farfalle, gnocchi, linguine, margherita, penne.

margherita

> 10. Entertainment:
> Pierre Brosnan, Sean Connery, Daniel Craig, Roger Moore, Bruce
> Willis.

Bruce Willis

> 11. Politics:
> Jair Bolsonaro, Emmanuel Macron, Narendra Modi, Vladimir Putin,
> Donald Trump,

Emmanuel Macron

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

Jun 28, 2019, 12:28:36 PM6/28/19
On 6/25/19 1:10 PM, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> Here is another occasional quiz of mine. For each question you are
> given a topic and five items. Four of these items have something in
> common (within the given topic), and your task is to identify the
> odd one. There is no requirement to motivate your answer, nor do
> you get any point if you do. ...however, if you don't give a motivation,
> your answer *must' agree with what I have in mind. If you answer
> something else that I had intended, I may still award a point if
> I think you have spotted something significant enough.
>
> As usual: only answer based on your in knowledge. Don't google,
> don't ask the wife and don't roll a dice. Post your answers to the
> newsgroup.
>
> I'll keep the quiz open a week or so.
>
> Have fun!
>

> 1. Math.
> 1998, 306, 625, 729, 81.

625 (only one not divisible by 3)

> 2. Music:
> Ronnie James Dio, Ian Gillan, Glenn Hughes, Ozzy Osbourne,
> Robert Plant,
>
> 3. Business:
> Bang & Olufsen, BoConcept, Carlsberg, IKEA, Lego,
>
> 4. Language:
> Czech, German, Hungarian, Romanian, Slovak.

Hungarian (only one not Indo-European)

> 5. Science:
> candela, kelvin, metre, second, volt.

volt (only one not a base SI unit)

> 6. City travel:
> Charle de Gaulle Étoile, Montmatre, Oberkampf, Odéon,
> Porte de Glignancourt.
>
> 7. Food:
> farfalle, gnocchi, linguine, margherita, penne.

margherita (only one not a form of pasta)

> 8. Science and language:
> azote, ilt, oxygen, Sauerstoff, syre.
>
> 9. Current sport events:
> Germany, Japan, Norway, Sweden, USA.

Norway (only one not in the Women's World Cup)

> 10. Entertainment:
> Pierre Brosnan, Sean Connery, Daniel Craig, Roger Moore, Bruce Willis.

Bruce Willis (only one who didnt't play Bond, James Bond)

> 11. Politics:
> Jair Bolsonaro, Emmanuel Macron, Narendra Modi, Vladimir Putin,
> Donald Trump,

Emmanuel Macron (only one not a right wing/nationalist politician)

> 12. Transport:
> Air Canada, Air New Zealand, British Airways, Lufthansa,
> Singapore Airlines.

Lufthansa (only one representing a country that does not have English as
a major/national language)

--
Dan Tilque

Calvin

Jun 29, 2019, 6:07:32 AM6/29/19
On Wednesday, June 26, 2019 at 6:10:55 AM UTC+10, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> Here is another occasional quiz of mine. For each question you are
> given a topic and five items. Four of these items have something in
> common (within the given topic), and your task is to identify the
> odd one. There is no requirement to motivate your answer, nor do
> you get any point if you do. ...however, if you don't give a motivation,
> your answer *must' agree with what I have in mind. If you answer
> something else that I had intended, I may still award a point if
> I think you have spotted something significant enough.
>
> As usual: only answer based on your in knowledge. Don't google,
> don't ask the wife and don't roll a dice. Post your answers to the
> newsgroup.
>
> I'll keep the quiz open a week or so.
>
> Have fun!
>

> 1. Math.
> 1998, 306, 625, 729, 81.

625, the others are multiples of 9

> 2. Music:
> Ronnie James Dio, Ian Gillan, Glenn Hughes, Ozzy Osbourne,
> Robert Plant,

Ian Gillan, just a guess

> 3. Business:
> Bang & Olufsen, BoConcept, Carlsberg, IKEA, Lego,

IKEA is Swedish, the rest Danish

> 4. Language:
> Czech, German, Hungarian, Romanian, Slovak.

Slovak uses a different alphabet

> 5. Science:
> candela, kelvin, metre, second, volt.

Volt is a derived SI

> 6. City travel:
> Charle de Gaulle Étoile, Montmatre, Oberkampf, Odéon,
> Porte de Glignancourt.

Oberkampf is not a Metro station?

> 7. Food:
> farfalle, gnocchi, linguine, margherita, penne.

Margherita is not a type of pasta

> 8. Science and language:
> azote, ilt, oxygen, Sauerstoff, syre.

Syre, a guess

> 9. Current sport events:
> Germany, Japan, Norway, Sweden, USA.

Japan have not made the quarter finals of the women's world cup.

> 10. Entertainment:
> Pierre Brosnan, Sean Connery, Daniel Craig, Roger Moore, Bruce Willis.

Bruce Willis has not played James Bond

> 11. Politics:
> Jair Bolsonaro, Emmanuel Macron, Narendra Modi, Vladimir Putin,
> Donald Trump,

Modi is a PM, the rest presidents

> 12. Transport:
> Air Canada, Air New Zealand, British Airways, Lufthansa,
> Singapore Airlines.

Lufty was never government owned?

Great quiz thanks.

cheers,
calvin

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 2, 2019, 8:36:16 AM7/2/19
This quiz is over and it is a joint victory for Mark Brader and
Stephen W Perry, congratulations! (There is however, one semi-open
issue which may change this, but we'll see.)

I am happy to see that the quiz attracted eight entrants which is
quite good these days.

Here is the scoreboard:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Total
Mark B 1 - 1 1 - 1 1 1 - 1 1 1 9
swp 1 1 1 1 - - 1 1 1 1 1 - 9
Calvin 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 - 1 1 1 - 7
Dan T 1 - - 1 1 - 1 - - 1 1 1 7
Dan B 1 1 1 1 - - 1 - - 1 - - 6
Bruce B - - - - 1 - 1 1 1 1 - - 5
Joshua K 1 - - 1 - - 1 - - 1 - - 4
Pete G - - 1 1 - 1 - - - 1 - - 4

Below are the answers. For each question I first give the answer I had
intended and in some cases with comments to my own answer. Then follows
remarks on alternate answers with motivations, and my explanation why
or why not I did not accept that answer. Keep in mind that if you gave
an answer different from the intended one you had to give a motivation
for it to be considered. It does not help you, if someone else gave a
motivation for your answer, even if you had the same reason in mind.

> 1. Math.
> 1998, 306, 625, 729, 81.

625 - the only number not divisble by 9.

> 2. Music:
> Ronnie James Dio, Ian Gillan, Glenn Hughes, Ozzy Osbourne,
> Robert Plant,

Robert Plant - all the others have been lead singers of Black
Sabbath on at least one album. Wikipedia suggests, though, that
Plant was on the shortlist after the departure of Dio, but Ian
Gillan was picked instead.

A case could also be made for Glenn Hughes, since he is the only
one of the five who also plays an instrument, and had someone made
this point, I would have accepted it.

Four of the men above are alive, but sadly Ronnie James Dio is
not. I had however decided not to accept that as a motivation, had
someone raised it.

"Ozzy Osbourne - only one whose first name is a nickanme based
on his surname?
Obviously incorrect - because what is a "nickanme"? Now, if we,
despite the particular entrant in question, interpret this as
"nickname", the answer is correct. However, my intention was that
the four would have something interesting in common, and not having
such a nickname is not particularly noteworthy. Thus, not accepted.

> 3. Business:
> Bang & Olufsen, BoConcept, Carlsberg, IKEA, Lego,

IKEA - all other brands are Danish.

Mark had not heard of BoConcept. I don't know big they are
internationally, but they have a store in Bellevue, WA, and I find
it difficult to believe that it would be a one-of-a-kind.

"BoConcept. The others are all named, at least in part, after people"
Incorrect. LEGO is derived from "Leg godt", Danish for "Play well".

>4. Language:
> Czech, German, Hungarian, Romanian, Slovak.

Hungarian - not an Indo-European language.

"Slovak uses a different alphabet"

No, Slovak uses Latin script.

>5. Science:
> candela, kelvin, metre, second, volt.

Volt - not a base unit in the SI system.

"Metre - only misspelled one. :-)"

Nope. No Toronto pub rules on this side of the Atlantic. :-)

>6. City travel:
> Charle de Gaulle Étoile, Montmatre, Oberkampf, Odéon,
> Porte de Glignancourt.

Montmartre - not a métro station in Paris.

I also accepted Porte de Glignancourt, despite no comment was given.
There is after all no station with that name - the correct spelling
is Clignancourt, and I could not tell if that spelling error trapped
the entrant who gave it. My apologies for no less than three spelling
errors in this list.

On the other hand, Oberkampf is a very much metro station - it is one
stop from (Place de) Répulique. It was an intentional trap, so I
happy to see some people swallowing the bait. :-)

>7. Food:
> farfalle, gnocchi, linguine, margherita, penne.

Margherita is a pizza, not a type of pasta.

>8. Science and language:
> azote, ilt, oxygen, Sauerstoff, syre.

azote, that's French for nitrogen. All the others are words for
oxygen. (Danish, English, German and Swedish in that order.)

>9. Current sport events:
> Germany, Japan, Norway, Sweden, USA.

Sweden for two reasons:
1) Have never won the FIFA Women's World Cup. (But who knows, maybe
this time?)
2) Never hosted the Winter Olympics.

The reason the latter counts as current is that on June 24th, the IOC
selected the host for the games in 2026. And for the seventh(!) time,
Sweden's bid was not accepted. Some of the Swedish bids in the past
were probably fairly reasonable, but this one was just ridiculous.
Just picture this: Stockholm was said to be the main host city,
but the City Council declined to sign the bid, so Åre - where the
alpine events were supposed to be held - signed instead. An internal
report to the IOC presented on the day before the vote labelled the
Swedish bid as a "high-risk project". And, yes, knowing some of the
details, I can fully agree.

"japan - did not win in round of 16 at FWWC in france"
"Japan is out of the world cup"
"Japan have not made the quarter finals of the women's world cup."
Correct and absolutely significant enough to qualify, so there is no
reason for me not to accept it. There is a twist though: it was not
correct when I posted the quiz - the game between Japan and Netherlands
was still going on.

"Norway (only one not in the Women's World Cup)"

They are (well, "were" by now), so this is incorrect.

>10. Entertainment:
> Pierre Brosnan, Sean Connery, Daniel Craig, Roger Moore, Bruce Willis.

Bruce Willis - have never played James Bond.

The only question that all entrants got.

>11. Politics:
> Jair Bolsonaro, Emmanuel Macron, Narendra Modi, Vladimir Putin,
> Donald Trump,

Narendra Modi - The others are Presidents, while Modi is Prime Minister.

"Trump. The only world leader with no prior political experience."
I did not accept this on the same grounds I did not accept Ozzy Osbourne.
That is, having prior political experience is what you can expect from
a politician.

"Emmanuel Macron (only one not a right wing/nationalist politician)"

I accepted this. I realised that this was a possibility when I composed
the question, but at that point vaguely thought I would not accept this.
But having it thrown in the face, I find it difficult not to accept it.
In my original idea, I had Angela Merkel instead of Modi, but then I
realised that she stood out for a different reason, and I could not
think of any current female President that is well-known enough. As
substitutes I also considered Shinzo Abe and Justin Trudeau, but I
found Modi, being a PM in a republic a little more subtle. I was
thinking of replacing Macron with Erdogan, but that did not happen.

>12. Transport:
> Air Canada, Air New Zealand, British Airways, Lufthansa,
> Singapore Airlines.

British Airways - not a Star Alliance member.

The selection of airlines are based on a trip that I did last year.
I first flew to Frankfurt with Lufthansa to get on a flight to
Singapore with Singapore Airlines. I stayed in Singapore for a few
days before continuing to Christchurch, again with Singapore Airlines.
I was in New Zealand for 5½ weeks and eventually few out of Auckland
with Air New Zealand to Vancouver. I had a ticket with Air Canada to
get to Victoria, but I got a ride with a friend. I flew home from SeaTac
with Icelandair. However, I felt that Icelandair was too obscure for
people to spot, so I replaced that with British Airlines - but it did
not really help, as no one spotted the connection. (Mark got BA right,
but gave a different motivation, which I have not verified., but appears
to be correct.)

"lufthansa - not a flag carrier airline"

I am not too familiar with the concept of "flag carriers". I've been
reading articles on Wikipedia. The article "Flag carrier" includes a
list of flag-carrier airlines. This list includes Lufthansa, but the
reference given is not particularly convincing. But nor is the reference
for British Airways. I get the impression that these days the term
itself is not used in a well-defined way, but it was more applicable
in older days when about every country with self-respect had a
nationally owned airline. For these reasons, I decided not to accept
the answer. But if Stephen or someone else have more authoritative
information, I can be persuaded.

"Lufthansa (only one representing a country that does not have
English as a major/national language)"

A bit far-fetched, and on the margin of what I am prepared to accept,
but since languages often plays a role in my quizzes, I thought that
it was not entirely unreasonable to suspect that it could be involved
here as well. I could have picked AIr France instead. Oh well. Accepted.

"Lufty was never government owned?"

From what I can tell, it was until 1994. (Today, Lufthansa is privately
owned as are BA and Air Canada.) Thus, not accepted.

Mark Brader

Jul 2, 2019, 3:25:32 PM7/2/19
Erland Sommarskog:
> This quiz is over and it is a joint victory for Mark Brader and
> Stephen W Perry, congratulations! (There is however, one semi-open
> issue which may change this, but we'll see.)

Thanks!

> I am happy to see that the quiz attracted eight entrants which is
> quite good these days.

Yes, well done.

> ...the answer is correct. However, my intention was that
> the four [wrong answers] would have something interesting in common,

You didn't make that a rule, and I don't think it's particularly
interesting for a number to be a multiple of 9, or for a world leader
to have the title of president.

I am not arguing that you should accept my answer of Ozzy Osbourne, as
my "motivation" on this question is obviously less notable than the
one you had in mind. I'm just saying that you were inconsistent.

> Mark had not heard of BoConcept. I don't know big they are
> internationally, but they have a store in Bellevue, WA, and I find
> it difficult to believe that it would be a one-of-a-kind.

They have a store in Toronto. So what? I'm not in the habit of
buying furniture.

> "BoConcept. The others are all named, at least in part, after people"
> Incorrect. LEGO is derived from "Leg godt", Danish for "Play well".
>

> >4. Language:
> > Czech, German, Hungarian, Romanian, Slovak.
>
> Hungarian - not an Indo-European language.
>
> "Slovak uses a different alphabet"
>
> No, Slovak uses Latin script.
>
> >5. Science:
> > candela, kelvin, metre, second, volt.
>
> Volt - not a base unit in the SI system.

Well, the candela doesn't *deserve* to be a base unit. So there. :-)

> "Metre - only misspelled one. :-)"
>
> Nope. No Toronto pub rules on this side of the Atlantic. :-)

Actually that is the spelling usually used here. I refuse to conform.

> >6. City travel:
> > Charle de Gaulle Étoile, Montmatre, Oberkampf, Odéon,
> > Porte de Glignancourt.
>
> My apologies for no less than three spelling
> errors in this list.

(The other one was "Charles".)

> On the other hand, Oberkampf is a very much metro station - it is one
> stop from (Place de) Répulique.

Ah, would you believe "République"?)

> It was an intentional trap, so I
> happy to see some people swallowing the bait. :-)

Me too.

> "Trump. The only world leader with no prior political experience."
> I did not accept this on the same grounds I did not accept Ozzy Osbourne.
> That is, having prior political experience is what you can expect from
> a politician.

Unlike Ozzy Osbourne, I think this one should be accepted (if correct,
and without checking, I believe it is). As I said above, you did not
state such a rule. Similarly, I would have argued for accepting my
answer of British Airways on the same grounds, if I had the facts
correct and it had not happened (by chance) to be the expected answer
anyway.

Anyway, your contest, your decisions.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "The singular of 'data' is not 'anecdote.'"
m...@vex.net | -- Jeff Goldberg

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 2, 2019, 5:24:54 PM7/2/19
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
>> ...the answer is correct. However, my intention was that
>> the four [wrong answers] would have something interesting in common,
>
> You didn't make that a rule,

I said that the four would have something in common, but, yes,
I think could have that a whole lot clearer.

> and I don't think it's particularly interesting for a number to be a
> multiple of 9, or for a world leader to have the title of president.

Hey, only one number out nine is divisible by 9! Compare that to the
percentage of world leaders with previous political experience or
the amount of persons whose nickname are not derived from their first
name. The world leader thing is a admittedly a little different, but
not all Presidents are really world leaders (because their actual power is
limited).

Obviously, if something is odd enough is subjective, and also what is
odd, and that is why I introduced the rule on motivations.

> They have a store in Toronto. So what? I'm not in the habit of
> buying furniture.

Yet you knew about IKEA!

Dan Tilque

Jul 2, 2019, 6:51:33 PM7/2/19
On 7/2/19 2:24 PM, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
>
>> They have a store in Toronto. So what? I'm not in the habit of
>> buying furniture.
>
> Yet you knew about IKEA!

Everyone knows about IKEA! I've never stepped a foot inside one of the
stores and I know about it.

About the spelling thing. The US and Britain differ about the spelling
of a few hundred words. They're mostly small differences, like whether
to put a U in 'colo(u)r' or keep the A in 'h(a)emoglobin'. And of
course, the -er/-re of certain words as in the 'meter' example, but also
'center' and 'theater' and a bunch of others.

Most of the former colonies agree with Britain on spelling. Canada is
the exception; they split the difference. For roughly half of those
words, they use American spelling and the other half British. I know of
no rule about which ones are which.

--
Dan Tilque

Calvin

Jul 2, 2019, 8:59:06 PM7/2/19
On Wednesday, July 3, 2019 at 8:51:33 AM UTC+10, Dan Tilque wrote:

> About the spelling thing. The US and Britain differ about the spelling
> of a few hundred words. They're mostly small differences, like whether
> to put a U in 'colo(u)r' or keep the A in 'h(a)emoglobin'. And of
> course, the -er/-re of certain words as in the 'meter' example,

Meter and metre are both used in Australia, as they have different meanings.

I'm not sure how universal that is in Commonwealth/English speaking countries.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Jul 2, 2019, 10:26:38 PM7/2/19
Mark Brader:
>>> They have a store in Toronto. So what? I'm not in the habit of
>>> buying furniture.

Erland Sommarskog:
>> Yet you knew about IKEA!

True, and in fact I've spent hundreds of dollars there.

Dan Tilque:
> Everyone knows about IKEA! I've never stepped a foot inside one of the
> stores and I know about it.

Grin.

> About the spelling thing. The US and Britain differ about the spelling
> of a few hundred words. They're mostly small differences, like whether
> to put a U in 'colo(u)r' or keep the A in 'h(a)emoglobin'. And of
> course, the -er/-re of certain words as in the 'meter' example, but also
> 'center' and 'theater' and a bunch of others.

There are also many cases where *both* spellings are used in one of
the two countries, though typically only one is used in the other.
For this reason some people object to describing one spelling of a
pair as American and the other as British.

> Most of the former colonies agree with Britain on spelling.

Well, except for North and South Carolina, Connecticut, Delaware,
East and West Florida, Georgia, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire,
New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Virginia.

> Canada is the exception; they split the difference. For roughly half of
> those words, they use American spelling and the other half British.

And most Canadians have no idea of it -- if they think about the matter
at all, they tend to believe that Canadian spelling is the same as British.

My position is that two standards for one language are more than enough
and I deny any right for Canada to have its own spelling standards.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "If we gave people a choice, there would be chaos."
m...@vex.net | -- Dick McDonald

swp

Jul 3, 2019, 8:10:22 AM7/3/19
On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 10:26:38 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> Mark Brader:
> My position is that two standards for one language are more than enough
> and I deny any right for Canada to have its own spelling standards.

the wonderful thing about standards is that you have so many from which to choose.

swp, who also thinks that candela doesn't deserve to be an SI unit. viva la lumen!

swp

Jul 3, 2019, 8:32:52 AM7/3/19
On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 8:36:16 AM UTC-4, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> This quiz is over and it is a joint victory for Mark Brader and
> Stephen W Perry, congratulations! (There is however, one semi-open
> issue which may change this, but we'll see.)

my humble thanks.

> I am happy to see that the quiz attracted eight entrants which is
> quite good these days.

your questions are always interesting, so I sacrificed other things to make time to enter. (no, I won't tell you who it was.)

> >5. Science:
> > candela, kelvin, metre, second, volt.
>
> Volt - not a base unit in the SI system.

bah. who is candela named for? miserable decrepit excuse for an SI unit.

> >6. City travel:
> > Charle de Gaulle Étoile, Montmatre, Oberkampf, Odéon,
> > Porte de Glignancourt.
>
> Montmartre - not a métro station in Paris.

an here I was thinking of the things above the surface in paris. ah well. lovely city, we should visit more often.

> >9. Current sport events:
> > Germany, Japan, Norway, Sweden, USA.
>
> Sweden for two reasons:
> 1) Have never won the FIFA Women's World Cup. (But who knows, maybe
> this time?)
> 2) Never hosted the Winter Olympics.
>
> "japan - did not win in round of 16 at FWWC in france"
> "Japan is out of the world cup"
> "Japan have not made the quarter finals of the women's world cup."
> Correct and absolutely significant enough to qualify, so there is no
> reason for me not to accept it. There is a twist though: it was not
> correct when I posted the quiz - the game between Japan and Netherlands
> was still going on.

grrrr

> >12. Transport:
> > Air Canada, Air New Zealand, British Airways, Lufthansa,
> > Singapore Airlines.
>
> British Airways - not a Star Alliance member.

star alliance? you're using science fiction as your basis? bah!

> The selection of airlines are based on a trip that I did last year.
> I first flew to Frankfurt with Lufthansa to get on a flight to
> Singapore with Singapore Airlines. I stayed in Singapore for a few
> days before continuing to Christchurch, again with Singapore Airlines.
> I was in New Zealand for 5½ weeks and eventually few out of Auckland
> with Air New Zealand to Vancouver. I had a ticket with Air Canada to
> get to Victoria, but I got a ride with a friend. I flew home from SeaTac
> with Icelandair. However, I felt that Icelandair was too obscure for
> people to spot, so I replaced that with British Airlines - but it did
> not really help, as no one spotted the connection. (Mark got BA right,
> but gave a different motivation, which I have not verified., but appears
> to be correct.)
>

> "lufthansa - not a flag carrier airline"

look up the airlines on wikipedia, like I just did, and you will see that all of them except lufthansa actually say that they are "flag carriers" on their respective pages. no, I did not alter the wikipedia pages nor did I have anyone else do it on my behalf.

since you invoked wikipedia, I used that in my defense. don't make me do that again.

swp

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 3, 2019, 6:20:30 PM7/3/19
swp (stephen...@gmail.com) writes:
> look up the airlines on wikipedia, like I just did, and you will see
> that all of them except lufthansa actually say that they are "flag
> carriers" on their respective pages.

Nah, if you look at the German page for Lufthansa, guess what...

Mark Brader

Jul 3, 2019, 8:01:35 PM7/3/19
Stephen Perry:
>> look up the airlines on wikipedia, like I just did, and you will see
>> that all of them except lufthansa actually say that they are "flag
>> carriers" on their respective pages.

Erland Sommarskog:
> Nah, if you look at the German page for Lufthansa, guess what...

The German page says the same as the English page -- that it used to
be a flag carrier until it was privatized in the 1990s. The lead
sentence, if Google Translate is correct, also says that it is
"commonly perceived by the public as the flag carrier of Germany".
--
Mark Brader "You are dangerously close to attempting
Toronto to apply logic and sense to the actions

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 4, 2019, 4:21:55 AM7/4/19
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> The German page says the same as the English page -- that it used to
> be a flag carrier until it was privatized in the 1990s. The lead
> sentence, if Google Translate is correct, also says that it is
> "commonly perceived by the public as the flag carrier of Germany".

That is correct. But that is also the problem I have with the term. The
German page for Flagcarrier says "Flag Carrier (deutsch Fahnen- oder
Flaggenträger) ist ein nicht einheitlich definierter Begriff", that is, it
is a concept with no uniform definition. The same article has a picture of
an aircraft with Union Jack on and then text "Britain's Flag Carrier" - but
the aircraft is from Virgin Atlantic.

So I would need to know if Air Canada and British Airways while now private
still enjoy som benefit or official status given by the Canadian and British
governments and that Lufthansa does not get from the German government.
(Since Air New Zealand and Singapore Airlines are government-owned, we can
assume they do.) Right now I have the feeling that "flag carrier" is
something which is in the eye of the beholder.

swp

Jul 4, 2019, 10:30:16 AM7/4/19
I did not look on the page for "flag carrier" at all. I looked at each individual page for the airlines in the questions. Each of them, except luftansa, says that they are the "flag carrier" for their respective country.

swp

Mark Brader

Jul 4, 2019, 10:36:18 AM7/4/19
Erland Sommarskog:
> So I would need to know if Air Canada and British Airways while now private
> still enjoy som benefit or official status given by the Canadian and British
> governments and that Lufthansa does not get from the German government...
> Right now I have the feeling that "flag carrier" is something which
> is in the eye of the beholder.

Well, I certainly have no expertise on this. No further comment from me.
--
Mark Brader "I used to think that the name C++
Toronto was a euphemism for D-."

Mark Brader

Jul 5, 2019, 1:05:41 AM7/5/19
Erland Sommarskog [spelling corrected]:
>> 6. City travel:
>> Charles de Gaulle Étoile, Montmartre, Oberkampf, Odéon,
>> Porte de Clignancourt.

> Montmartre - not a métro station in Paris.

Incidentally, this question might have been even trickier if had been
asked, say, 25 years earlier. Montmartre is a district ("faubourg",
which originally meant a suburb) on a hill in the northern part
of Paris. Depending on where you draw the boundaries of central
Paris, it is somewhat outside them, but not very far outside.

Now *in* central Paris, about a mile south of Montmartre, is a
certain intersection of two streets: one of changes them name at
the intersection from Boulevard Poissonière to Boul. Montmartre,
while the other changes name from Rue du Faubourg Montmartre to
just plain Rue Montmartre.

Now, there is a Metro station at this intersection, and it used
to be called Rue Montmartre. While this name was perfectly
logical, apparently it confused enough tourists who wanted to
*go* to Montmartre that eventually the RATP decided to change it.
Since 1998 it has been Grands Boulevards (Great Boulevards).

(By the way, the actual station nearest Montmartre is Abbesses.)
--
Mark Brader | Occam's razor cuts both ways. (I've spent
Toronto | most of my life waiting for a chance to

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 5, 2019, 4:15:42 AM7/5/19
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> Incidentally, this question might have been even trickier if had been
> asked, say, 25 years earlier. Montmartre is a district ("faubourg",
> which originally meant a suburb) on a hill in the northern part
> of Paris. Depending on where you draw the boundaries of central
> Paris, it is somewhat outside them, but not very far outside.

Obviously, if I had this posted quiz 25 years ago, I would have had to
figure out some other fake station. I wanted a name of a well-known location
in Paris. My first idea (before I had checked any map) was Tour Eiffel,
and indeed there is no station with that name, but there is Champs de Mars
Tour Eiffel, so I had to look for something else.

Mark Brader

Jul 5, 2019, 3:53:13 PM7/5/19
Mark Brader:
> > Incidentally, this question might have been even trickier if had been
> > asked, say, 25 years earlier. Montmartre is a district ("faubourg",
> > which originally meant a suburb) on a hill in the northern part
> > of Paris...

Erland Sommarskog (spelling corrected):
> Obviously, if I had this posted quiz 25 years ago, I would have had to
> figure out some other fake station. I wanted a name of a well-known location
> in Paris.

Ah, but my point is that at that time there wasn't a Montmartre station
either, only Rue Montmartre, which was not even in Montmartre.

> My first idea (before I had checked any map) was Tour Eiffel,
> and indeed there is no station with that name, but there is
> Champ de Mars Tour Eiffel, so I had to look for something else.

Actually, that's an RER station, not a Metro station. But in fact
I think that 25 years ago "Tour Eiffel" would have been what you
wanted -- without checking, I think that back then the RER station
was just named Champ-de-Mars. Or maybe it wasn't even open then.
I know I once knew that the station for the tower was Bir-Hakiem
(on the Metro).
--
Mark Brader | "Now you have accidentally said something valuable!"
Toronto | --Hercule Poirot:

Mark Brader

Jul 5, 2019, 3:53:53 PM7/5/19
Mark Brader:
> I know I once knew that the station for the tower was Bir-Hakiem

Bir-Hakeim, I mean.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "When you're up to your ass in alligators, maybe
m...@vex.net | you're in the wrong swamp." -- Bill Stewart

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 5, 2019, 4:46:36 PM7/5/19
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> Erland Sommarskog (spelling corrected):
>> Obviously, if I had this posted quiz 25 years ago, I would have had to
>> figure out some other fake station. I wanted a name of a well-known
>> location in Paris.
>
> Ah, but my point is that at that time there wasn't a Montmartre station
> either, only Rue Montmartre, which was not even in Montmartre.

Yeah, but obviously I would not pick a name that could cause confusion.
People could think that I mean "Rue Montmartre". Or only recall the
station with that name.

There is fair chance, of course, that would not have noticed the name
looking at the metro map, as I would not have been looking in that spot
for that name.

> Actually, that's an RER station, not a Metro station.

And I am not that brutal. "XXXX is RER station, not a Metro station".
(Although, I think that when I first thought of this question many years
ago, the idea was to have all stations but one to be the terminus of some
line. But then I found that they extended the lines, and not all stations
I was used of to think of as the end of a line still were.)

Mark Brader

Jul 5, 2019, 5:03:39 PM7/5/19
Mark Brader:
> Ah, but my point is that at that time there wasn't a Montmartre station
> either, only Rue Montmartre, which was not even in Montmartre.

I was meaning to note: cf. London, where Edgware station and Edgware Rd.
station are on different lines and about 8 miles apart.

Or Toronto, where Royal York station is on Royal York Rd., but the Royal
York Hotel is one of the landmarks adjacent to Union station, more than
6 miles away.
--
Mark Brader | The lawgiver, of all beings, most owes the law allegiance.
Toronto | He of all men should behave as though the law compelled him.