QFTCIBP Game 1, Rounds 7-8: wrestlactors, hisTOry

Mark Brader

Feb 25, 2018, 1:05:13 AM2/25/18
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-01-15,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Bill Psychs and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 1, Round 7 - Entertainment - Wrestlers Turned Actors

Professional wrestling involves a flair for the dramatic.
It shouldn't come as a surprise that the following professional
wrestlers have also acted over the course of their careers.
In each case, we'll accept either the ring name or their real name.

1. Born in 1953, the role of Thunderlips in "Rocky III" was not
much of a stretch for this wrestler.

2. Born in 1972, this wrestler has acted numerous times, including
roles in films such as "Pain & Gain", "Doom", and the later
movies in the "Fast and the Furious" series (beginning with
"Fast Five").

3. Born in 1954, this Canadian wrestler's best-known acting role
is probably the unnamed drifter in the 1988 sci-fi film
"They Live".

4. This wrestler, actor, and later politician had roles in both
"Predator" and "The Running Man" in 1987.

5. Born in 1933, this wrestler played the role of Mario in "The
Super Mario Bros. Super Show!". He was also friends with Cyndi
Lauper, and played her father in a number of her music videos.

6. This wrestler is typecast as a tough guy, playing characters
such as Brass Body, Drax the Destroyer, and Mr. Hinx.

7. This wrestler, known for his "3:16" catchphrase, also played
Dan Paine in the 2010 film "The Expendables".

8. This French wrestler played Fezzik in a beloved 1987 fantasy
rom-com.

9. Born in 1977, this wrestler, actor, and rapper starred in the
2006 action movie "The Marine". He also had an appearance in
the Amy Schumer comedy "Trainwreck".

10. You might recognize this Canadian wrestler from his performance
as the Genie in a 2004 stage production of "Aladdin".
His brother, who was also a wrestler, died from injuries
sustained during a ring entry stunt mishap.

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: vs lbh whfg
nafjrerq "Pran", "Uneg", "Ubtna", be "Cvcre" sbe nal jerfgyre,
jr arrq gur svefg anzr gung tbrf jvgu gung. Cyrnfr tb onpx naq
fhccyl vg; avpxanzrf ner abg erdhverq sbe gurfr crbcyr. Nyfb,
vs lbh whfg fnvq "Naqer" sbe nal jerfgyre, tb onpx naq tvir uvf
pbzcyrgr fgntr anzr.

* Game 1, Round 8 - Canadiana History - History of Toronto

1. The city's first streetcar service began in 1861 using
horse-drawn cars. The service operated between Yorkville Town
Hall and what other terminal point?

2. Toronto's first Stanley Cup was won in 1914 -- by what team?

3. In 2003, a massive benefit concert was held to help offset the
city's losses in tourism and industry. What was the reason
behind the losses? Be sufficiently specific.

4. The City of Toronto was established in 1834, replacing the
Town of York. At that time it extended east and west as far
as two streets whose names are the same today -- name either one.

5. The first telegraph message to be transmitted in Canada was
sent in 1846 from Toronto in 1846 -- to what city?

6. In 2013, after a long period of speculation and denial, Mayor
Rob Ford admitted to smoking crack. He described his probable
mental state at the time of smoking, using a 5-word phrase, of
which the last two words are the key ones. What was that state?

7. A major fire destroyed a large section of the downtown core,
and took 9 hours to put out. The fire destroyed 104 buildings,
and claimed the life of one person. Within 2 years, when was
the Great Fire of Toronto?

8. What change came to major roadways in the city in 1841?

9. In the 1850s, three railway companies built lines to Toronto.
Name any one of them. Initials are acceptable.

10. The opening game at Maple Leaf Gardens in 1931 was played
between the Toronto Maple Leafs and which other team?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net
#define MSB(type) (~(((unsigned type)-1)>>1))

Joshua Kreitzer

Feb 25, 2018, 1:15:58 AM2/25/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:LOGdnUryW9SOzw_HnZ2dnUU7-
IXN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Entertainment - Wrestlers Turned Actors
>
> Professional wrestling involves a flair for the dramatic.
> It shouldn't come as a surprise that the following professional
> wrestlers have also acted over the course of their careers.
> In each case, we'll accept either the ring name or their real name.
>
> 1. Born in 1953, the role of Thunderlips in "Rocky III" was not
> much of a stretch for this wrestler.

Hulk Hogan

> 2. Born in 1972, this wrestler has acted numerous times, including
> roles in films such as "Pain & Gain", "Doom", and the later
> movies in the "Fast and the Furious" series (beginning with
> "Fast Five").

Dwayne Johnson

> 3. Born in 1954, this Canadian wrestler's best-known acting role
> is probably the unnamed drifter in the 1988 sci-fi film
> "They Live".

Rowdy Roddy Piper

> 4. This wrestler, actor, and later politician had roles in both
> "Predator" and "The Running Man" in 1987.

Jesse Ventura

> 5. Born in 1933, this wrestler played the role of Mario in "The
> Super Mario Bros. Super Show!". He was also friends with Cyndi
> Lauper, and played her father in a number of her music videos.

Captain Lou Albano

> 7. This wrestler, known for his "3:16" catchphrase, also played
> Dan Paine in the 2010 film "The Expendables".

Steve Austin

> 8. This French wrestler played Fezzik in a beloved 1987 fantasy
> rom-com.

Andre the Giant

> 9. Born in 1977, this wrestler, actor, and rapper starred in the
> 2006 action movie "The Marine". He also had an appearance in
> the Amy Schumer comedy "Trainwreck".

John Cena

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Canadiana History - History of Toronto
>
> 3. In 2003, a massive benefit concert was held to help offset the
> city's losses in tourism and industry. What was the reason
> behind the losses? Be sufficiently specific.

SARS

> 5. The first telegraph message to be transmitted in Canada was
> sent in 1846 from Toronto in 1846 -- to what city?

Hamilton

> 10. The opening game at Maple Leaf Gardens in 1931 was played
> between the Toronto Maple Leafs and which other team?

Montreal Canadiens

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Marc Dashevsky

Feb 25, 2018, 2:43:25 AM2/25/18
In article <LOGdnUryW9SOzw_H...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 1, Round 7 - Entertainment - Wrestlers Turned Actors
>
> Professional wrestling involves a flair for the dramatic.
> It shouldn't come as a surprise that the following professional
> wrestlers have also acted over the course of their careers.
> In each case, we'll accept either the ring name or their real name.
>
> 1. Born in 1953, the role of Thunderlips in "Rocky III" was not
> much of a stretch for this wrestler.
>
> 2. Born in 1972, this wrestler has acted numerous times, including
> roles in films such as "Pain & Gain", "Doom", and the later
> movies in the "Fast and the Furious" series (beginning with
> "Fast Five").
>
> 3. Born in 1954, this Canadian wrestler's best-known acting role
> is probably the unnamed drifter in the 1988 sci-fi film
> "They Live".
>
> 4. This wrestler, actor, and later politician had roles in both
> "Predator" and "The Running Man" in 1987.
>
> 5. Born in 1933, this wrestler played the role of Mario in "The
> Super Mario Bros. Super Show!". He was also friends with Cyndi
> Lauper, and played her father in a number of her music videos.
Lou Albano

> 6. This wrestler is typecast as a tough guy, playing characters
> such as Brass Body, Drax the Destroyer, and Mr. Hinx.
>
> 7. This wrestler, known for his "3:16" catchphrase, also played
> Dan Paine in the 2010 film "The Expendables".
>
> 8. This French wrestler played Fezzik in a beloved 1987 fantasy
> rom-com.
Andre the Giant

> 9. Born in 1977, this wrestler, actor, and rapper starred in the
> 2006 action movie "The Marine". He also had an appearance in
> the Amy Schumer comedy "Trainwreck".
>
> 10. You might recognize this Canadian wrestler from his performance
> as the Genie in a 2004 stage production of "Aladdin".
> His brother, who was also a wrestler, died from injuries
> sustained during a ring entry stunt mishap.

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 25, 2018, 3:32:26 AM2/25/18
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 1, Round 7 - Entertainment - Wrestlers Turned Actors
>
> 4. This wrestler, actor, and later politician had roles in both
> "Predator" and "The Running Man" in 1987.

Arnold Schwarzenegger

Dan Blum

Feb 25, 2018, 11:25:10 AM2/25/18
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Entertainment - Wrestlers Turned Actors

> 1. Born in 1953, the role of Thunderlips in "Rocky III" was not
> much of a stretch for this wrestler.

Hulk Hogan

> 2. Born in 1972, this wrestler has acted numerous times, including
> roles in films such as "Pain & Gain", "Doom", and the later
> movies in the "Fast and the Furious" series (beginning with
> "Fast Five").

Dwayne Johnson

> 4. This wrestler, actor, and later politician had roles in both
> "Predator" and "The Running Man" in 1987.

Jesse Ventura

> 5. Born in 1933, this wrestler played the role of Mario in "The
> Super Mario Bros. Super Show!". He was also friends with Cyndi
> Lauper, and played her father in a number of her music videos.

Albanese

> 8. This French wrestler played Fezzik in a beloved 1987 fantasy
> rom-com.

Andre the Giant

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Canadiana History - History of Toronto

> 5. The first telegraph message to be transmitted in Canada was
> sent in 1846 from Toronto in 1846 -- to what city?

Halifax; Ottawa

> 8. What change came to major roadways in the city in 1841?

macadam

> 9. In the 1850s, three railway companies built lines to Toronto.
> Name any one of them. Initials are acceptable.

Grand Trunk

> 10. The opening game at Maple Leaf Gardens in 1931 was played
> between the Toronto Maple Leafs and which other team?

Boston Bruins; Detroit Red Wings

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Jason Kreitzer

Feb 25, 2018, 9:37:19 PM2/25/18
On Sunday, February 25, 2018 at 1:05:13 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-01-15,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Bill Psychs and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Entertainment - Wrestlers Turned Actors
>
> Professional wrestling involves a flair for the dramatic.
> It shouldn't come as a surprise that the following professional
> wrestlers have also acted over the course of their careers.
> In each case, we'll accept either the ring name or their real name.
>
> 1. Born in 1953, the role of Thunderlips in "Rocky III" was not
> much of a stretch for this wrestler.
Hulk Hogan
> 2. Born in 1972, this wrestler has acted numerous times, including
> roles in films such as "Pain & Gain", "Doom", and the later
> movies in the "Fast and the Furious" series (beginning with
> "Fast Five").
Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson
> 3. Born in 1954, this Canadian wrestler's best-known acting role
> is probably the unnamed drifter in the 1988 sci-fi film
> "They Live".
Rowdy Roddy Piper
> 4. This wrestler, actor, and later politician had roles in both
> "Predator" and "The Running Man" in 1987.
Jesse Ventura
> 5. Born in 1933, this wrestler played the role of Mario in "The
> Super Mario Bros. Super Show!". He was also friends with Cyndi
> Lauper, and played her father in a number of her music videos.
Captain Lou Albano
> 6. This wrestler is typecast as a tough guy, playing characters
> such as Brass Body, Drax the Destroyer, and Mr. Hinx.
Dave Bautista
> 7. This wrestler, known for his "3:16" catchphrase, also played
> Dan Paine in the 2010 film "The Expendables".
Stone Cold Steve Austin
> 8. This French wrestler played Fezzik in a beloved 1987 fantasy
> rom-com.
Andre the Giant
> 9. Born in 1977, this wrestler, actor, and rapper starred in the
> 2006 action movie "The Marine". He also had an appearance in
> the Amy Schumer comedy "Trainwreck".
John Cena
> 10. You might recognize this Canadian wrestler from his performance
> as the Genie in a 2004 stage production of "Aladdin".
> His brother, who was also a wrestler, died from injuries
> sustained during a ring entry stunt mishap.
Bret Hart
> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: vs lbh whfg
> nafjrerq "Pran", "Uneg", "Ubtna", be "Cvcre" sbe nal jerfgyre,
> jr arrq gur svefg anzr gung tbrf jvgu gung. Cyrnfr tb onpx naq
> fhccyl vg; avpxanzrf ner abg erdhverq sbe gurfr crbcyr. Nyfb,
> vs lbh whfg fnvq "Naqer" sbe nal jerfgyre, tb onpx naq tvir uvf
> pbzcyrgr fgntr anzr.
if you just
> answered "Cena", "Hart", "Hogan", or "Piper" for any wrestler,
> we need the first name that goes with that. Please go back and
> supply it; nicknames are not required for these people. Also,
> if you just said "Andre" for any wrestler, go back and give his
> complete stage name.

Dan Tilque

Feb 26, 2018, 11:49:52 AM2/26/18
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Entertainment - Wrestlers Turned Actors
>
> Professional wrestling involves a flair for the dramatic.
> It shouldn't come as a surprise that the following professional
> wrestlers have also acted over the course of their careers.
> In each case, we'll accept either the ring name or their real name.
>
> 1. Born in 1953, the role of Thunderlips in "Rocky III" was not
> much of a stretch for this wrestler.
>
> 2. Born in 1972, this wrestler has acted numerous times, including
> roles in films such as "Pain & Gain", "Doom", and the later
> movies in the "Fast and the Furious" series (beginning with
> "Fast Five").
>
> 3. Born in 1954, this Canadian wrestler's best-known acting role
> is probably the unnamed drifter in the 1988 sci-fi film
> "They Live".
>
> 4. This wrestler, actor, and later politician had roles in both
> "Predator" and "The Running Man" in 1987.

Jesse Ventura
Scarborough; Waterloo

> 6. In 2013, after a long period of speculation and denial, Mayor
> Rob Ford admitted to smoking crack. He described his probable
> mental state at the time of smoking, using a 5-word phrase, of
> which the last two words are the key ones. What was that state?
>
> 7. A major fire destroyed a large section of the downtown core,
> and took 9 hours to put out. The fire destroyed 104 buildings,
> and claimed the life of one person. Within 2 years, when was
> the Great Fire of Toronto?

1892

> 8. What change came to major roadways in the city in 1841?
>
> 9. In the 1850s, three railway companies built lines to Toronto.
> Name any one of them. Initials are acceptable.
>
> 10. The opening game at Maple Leaf Gardens in 1931 was played
> between the Toronto Maple Leafs and which other team?

Montreal Canadiens

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Feb 28, 2018, 12:42:06 AM2/28/18
Mark Brader:
> Subject: QFTCIBP Game 1, Rounds 7-8: wrestlactors, hisTOry

Hmm. If I was going to mash those words together, it would've gone
more smoothly if I'd reversed the order: actorestlers. There!

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-01-15,
> see my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Entertainment - Wrestlers Turned Actors

> Professional wrestling involves a flair for the dramatic.
> It shouldn't come as a surprise that the following professional
> wrestlers have also acted over the course of their careers.
> In each case, we'll accept either the ring name or their real name.

> 1. Born in 1953, the role of Thunderlips in "Rocky III" was not
> much of a stretch for this wrestler.

Hulk Hogan (Terry Bollea). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Jason.

> 2. Born in 1972, this wrestler has acted numerous times, including
> roles in films such as "Pain & Gain", "Doom", and the later
> movies in the "Fast and the Furious" series (beginning with
> "Fast Five").

The Rock (Dwayne Johnson). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Jason.

> 3. Born in 1954, this Canadian wrestler's best-known acting role
> is probably the unnamed drifter in the 1988 sci-fi film
> "They Live".

Rowdy Roddy Piper (Roderick Toombs). 4 for Joshua and Jason.

> 4. This wrestler, actor, and later politician had roles in both
> "Predator" and "The Running Man" in 1987.

Jesse "the Body" Ventura (James George Janos). 4 for Joshua,
Dan Blum, Jason, and Dan Tilque.

Arnold Schwarzenegger was also both movies but was a competitive
bodybuilder, not a wrestler.

> 5. Born in 1933, this wrestler played the role of Mario in "The
> Super Mario Bros. Super Show!". He was also friends with Cyndi
> Lauper, and played her father in a number of her music videos.

"Captain" Lou (Louis) Albano. 4 for Joshua, Marc, and Jason.
3 for Dan Blum.

> 6. This wrestler is typecast as a tough guy, playing characters
> such as Brass Body, Drax the Destroyer, and Mr. Hinx.

Batista (Dave Bautista). 4 for Jason.

> 7. This wrestler, known for his "3:16" catchphrase, also played
> Dan Paine in the 2010 film "The Expendables".

"Stone Cold" Steve Austin (Steven James Anderson). 4 for Joshua
and Jason.

> 8. This French wrestler played Fezzik in a beloved 1987 fantasy
> rom-com.

André the Giant (André Roussimoff). ("The Princess Bride".)
4 for Joshua, Marc, Dan Blum, and Jason.

> 9. Born in 1977, this wrestler, actor, and rapper starred in the
> 2006 action movie "The Marine". He also had an appearance in
> the Amy Schumer comedy "Trainwreck".

John Cena. 4 for Joshua and Jason.

> 10. You might recognize this Canadian wrestler from his performance
> as the Genie in a 2004 stage production of "Aladdin".
> His brother, who was also a wrestler, died from injuries
> sustained during a ring entry stunt mishap.

Bret "the Hitman" Hart. 4 for Jason.

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Canadiana History - History of Toronto

> 1. The city's first streetcar service began in 1861 using
> horse-drawn cars. The service operated between Yorkville Town
> Hall and what other terminal point?

St. Lawrence Market. Also accepting Toronto City Hall, which was
located there at the time.

> 2. Toronto's first Stanley Cup was won in 1914 -- by what team?

Toronto Blueshirts (of the NHA).

> 3. In 2003, a massive benefit concert was held to help offset the
> city's losses in tourism and industry. What was the reason
> behind the losses? Be sufficiently specific.

Outbreaks of the SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome) virus.
4 for Joshua.

The outbreaks were quite localized, but some would-be tourists got
the idea that there was an epidemic here.

> 4. The City of Toronto was established in 1834, replacing the
> Town of York. At that time it extended east and west as far
> as two streets whose names are the same today -- name either one.

Parliament St., Bathurst St.

> 5. The first telegraph message to be transmitted in Canada was
> sent in 1846 from Toronto in 1846 -- to what city?

Hamilton ON. 4 for Joshua.

> 6. In 2013, after a long period of speculation and denial, Mayor
> Rob Ford admitted to smoking crack. He described his probable
> mental state at the time of smoking, using a 5-word phrase, of
> which the last two words are the key ones. What was that state?

"One of my drunken stupors".

> 7. A major fire destroyed a large section of the downtown core,
> and took 9 hours to put out. The fire destroyed 104 buildings,
> and claimed the life of one person. Within 2 years, when was
> the Great Fire of Toronto?

1904 (accepting 1902-06).

> 8. What change came to major roadways in the city in 1841?

(Gas-burning) street lights.

> 9. In the 1850s, three railway companies built lines to Toronto.
> Name any one of them. Initials are acceptable.

Grand Trunk Railway, Great Western Railway, Northern Railway of
Canada. 4 for Dan Blum.

The Grand Trunk later acquired the other two, and still later was
in turn incorporated into the Canadian National Railways, now Railway.

> 10. The opening game at Maple Leaf Gardens in 1931 was played
> between the Toronto Maple Leafs and which other team?

Chicago Black Hawks. (Then so spelled. Anyway, either part was
sufficient.) Chicago won 2-1.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 1 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Can Art Sci Spo Ent Can FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 4 35 40 6 32 8 115
Dan Blum 0 39 36 19 19 4 113
Marc Dashevsky 0 19 36 12 8 0 75
Peter Smyth 0 16 40 6 -- -- 62
Bruce Bowler 0 23 24 10 -- -- 57
Dan Tilque 0 8 40 3 4 0 55
Erland Sommarskog -- -- 32 8 0 0 40
Jason Kreitzer -- -- 0 0 40 0 40
Pete Gayde -- -- 24 7 -- -- 31

--
Mark Brader | "'"'Tisn't very easy to tell if a '"' or ''' mark
Toronto | is an opening or closing quote or ditto or prime,"

Pete Gayde

Feb 28, 2018, 3:20:29 PM2/28/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:LOGdnUryW9SOzw_HnZ2dnUU7-
IXN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-01-15,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Bill Psychs and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Entertainment - Wrestlers Turned Actors
>
> Professional wrestling involves a flair for the dramatic.
> It shouldn't come as a surprise that the following professional
> wrestlers have also acted over the course of their careers.
> In each case, we'll accept either the ring name or their real name.
>
> 1. Born in 1953, the role of Thunderlips in "Rocky III" was not
> much of a stretch for this wrestler.
>
> 2. Born in 1972, this wrestler has acted numerous times, including
> roles in films such as "Pain & Gain", "Doom", and the later
> movies in the "Fast and the Furious" series (beginning with
> "Fast Five").

Hulk Hogan

> 3. Born in 1954, this Canadian wrestler's best-known acting role
> is probably the unnamed drifter in the 1988 sci-fi film
> "They Live".

Roddy Piper

> 4. This wrestler, actor, and later politician had roles in both
> "Predator" and "The Running Man" in 1987.

Schwarzenegger

> 5. Born in 1933, this wrestler played the role of Mario in "The
> Super Mario Bros. Super Show!". He was also friends with Cyndi
> Lauper, and played her father in a number of her music videos.
>
> 6. This wrestler is typecast as a tough guy, playing characters
> such as Brass Body, Drax the Destroyer, and Mr. Hinx.
>
> 7. This wrestler, known for his "3:16" catchphrase, also played
> Dan Paine in the 2010 film "The Expendables".
>
> 8. This French wrestler played Fezzik in a beloved 1987 fantasy
> rom-com.

Andre the Giant

> 9. Born in 1977, this wrestler, actor, and rapper starred in the
> 2006 action movie "The Marine". He also had an appearance in
> the Amy Schumer comedy "Trainwreck".
>
> 10. You might recognize this Canadian wrestler from his performance
> as the Genie in a 2004 stage production of "Aladdin".
> His brother, who was also a wrestler, died from injuries
> sustained during a ring entry stunt mishap.
>
> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: vs lbh whfg
> nafjrerq "Pran", "Uneg", "Ubtna", be "Cvcre" sbe nal jerfgyre,
> jr arrq gur svefg anzr gung tbrf jvgu gung. Cyrnfr tb onpx naq
> fhccyl vg; avpxanzrf ner abg erdhverq sbe gurfr crbcyr. Nyfb,
> vs lbh whfg fnvq "Naqer" sbe nal jerfgyre, tb onpx naq tvir uvf
> pbzcyrgr fgntr anzr.
>

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Canadiana History - History of Toronto
>
> 1. The city's first streetcar service began in 1861 using
> horse-drawn cars. The service operated between Yorkville Town
> Hall and what other terminal point?
>
> 2. Toronto's first Stanley Cup was won in 1914 -- by what team?

Toronto Americans

> 3. In 2003, a massive benefit concert was held to help offset the
> city's losses in tourism and industry. What was the reason
> behind the losses? Be sufficiently specific.
>
> 4. The City of Toronto was established in 1834, replacing the
> Town of York. At that time it extended east and west as far
> as two streets whose names are the same today -- name either one.
>
> 5. The first telegraph message to be transmitted in Canada was
> sent in 1846 from Toronto in 1846 -- to what city?
>
> 6. In 2013, after a long period of speculation and denial, Mayor
> Rob Ford admitted to smoking crack. He described his probable
> mental state at the time of smoking, using a 5-word phrase, of
> which the last two words are the key ones. What was that state?
>
> 7. A major fire destroyed a large section of the downtown core,
> and took 9 hours to put out. The fire destroyed 104 buildings,
> and claimed the life of one person. Within 2 years, when was
> the Great Fire of Toronto?
>
> 8. What change came to major roadways in the city in 1841?
>
> 9. In the 1850s, three railway companies built lines to Toronto.
> Name any one of them. Initials are acceptable.
>
> 10. The opening game at Maple Leaf Gardens in 1931 was played
> between the Toronto Maple Leafs and which other team?

Montreal Canadiens; Detroit Red Wings

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Feb 28, 2018, 6:05:47 PM2/28/18
If Pete Gayde's answers had been posted on time, he would have
scored 8 points on Round 7 and 0 on Round 8.
--
Mark Brader | "...it's a characteristic ... of organizations that try
Toronto | to anticipate every possible failure: they easily