Calvin's Quiz #473

Calvin

Feb 5, 2017, 5:30:03 PM2/5/17

1 Which word describes the white substance between the coloured skin and flesh of an orange?
2 Name either of the countries which contested the first World Cup (soccer) match on 13 July 1930.
3 Hindu is the predominant religion in 3 countries. Name any 2 of them.
4 Whose operatic works include "Paul Bunyan", "The Beggar's Opera" and "Billy Budd"?
5 Herbert Sutcliffe represented which country in international cricket?
6 Turks head, Granny and Bowline are types of what?
7 Which two words have been redacted from the lyrics of a 1993 George Thorogood hit? "Clean your act up and don't be a slob / Get it together like your big brother Bob / Why don't you get a haircut and get a …".
8 Which American director's films include "12 Angry Men" (1957), "Dog Day Afternoon" (1975) and "Network" (1976)?
9 Bathsheba Everdene, Gabriel Oak and Fanny Robin are characters in which 1874 Thomas Hardy novel?
10 The site of a late 19th century gold rush, the Klondike River is a tributary of which larger North American river?

cheers,
calvin

Dan Blum

Feb 5, 2017, 5:44:49 PM2/5/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1 Which word describes the white substance between the coloured skin and flesh of an orange?

dermis

> 2 Name either of the countries which contested the first World Cup (soccer) match on 13 July 1930.

France

> 3 Hindu is the predominant religion in 3 countries. Name any 2 of them.

India and Bangladesh

> 4 Whose operatic works include "Paul Bunyan", "The Beggar's Opera" and "Billy Budd"?

Gay

> 5 Herbert Sutcliffe represented which country in international cricket?

Australia

> 6 Turks head, Granny and Bowline are types of what?

knots

> 7 Which two words have been redacted from the lyrics of a 1993 George Thorogood hit? "Clean your act up and don't be a slob / Get it together like your big brother Bob / Why don't you get a haircut and get a ?".

real job

> 8 Which American director's films include "12 Angry Men" (1957), "Dog Day Afternoon" (1975) and "Network" (1976)?

Chayefsky

> 9 Bathsheba Everdene, Gabriel Oak and Fanny Robin are characters in which 1874 Thomas Hardy novel?

Jude the Obscure

> 10 The site of a late 19th century gold rush, the Klondike River is a tributary of which larger North American river?

Yukon River

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Mark Brader

Feb 5, 2017, 7:21:03 PM2/5/17
"Calvin":
> 1 Which word describes the white substance between the coloured
> skin and flesh of an orange?

Pith.

> 2 Name either of the countries which contested the first World
> Cup (soccer) match on 13 July 1930.

Uruguay.

> 3 Hindu is the predominant religion in 3 countries. Name any 2 of them.

India, Sri Lanka.

> 4 Whose operatic works include "Paul Bunyan", "The Beggar's
> Opera" and "Billy Budd"?

Hmm, someone I've heard of. Britten?

> 5 Herbert Sutcliffe represented which country in international cricket?

England?

> 6 Turks head, Granny and Bowline are types of what?

Knots.

> 7 Which two words have been redacted from the lyrics of a 1993
> George Thorogood hit? "Clean your act up and don't be a slob /
> Get it together like your big brother Bob / Why don't you get a
> haircut and get a ...".

New job?

> 8 Which American director's films include "12 Angry Men" (1957),
> "Dog Day Afternoon" (1975) and "Network" (1976)?

Lumet.

> 9 Bathsheba Everdene, Gabriel Oak and Fanny Robin are characters
> in which 1874 Thomas Hardy novel?

"Tess of the d'Urbervilles"?

> 10 The site of a late 19th century gold rush, the Klondike River
> is a tributary of which larger North American river?

Yukon.
--
Mark Brader "It is considered a sign of great {winnitude}
Toronto when your Obs are more interesting than other

Don Piven

Feb 5, 2017, 8:27:19 PM2/5/17
On 2/5/17 16:30, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which word describes the white substance between the coloured skin and flesh of an orange?

Pith.

> 2 Name either of the countries which contested the first World Cup (soccer) match on 13 July 1930.

Italy, Spain.

> 3 Hindu is the predominant religion in 3 countries. Name any 2 of them.

India, Sri Lanka.

> 4 Whose operatic works include "Paul Bunyan", "The Beggar's Opera" and "Billy Budd"?
> 5 Herbert Sutcliffe represented which country in international cricket
> 6 Turks head, Granny and Bowline are types of what?

Knots.

> 7 Which two words have been redacted from the lyrics of a 1993 George Thorogood hit? "Clean your act up and don't be a slob / Get it together like your big brother Bob / Why don't you get a haircut and get a …".

Real job.

> 8 Which American director's films include "12 Angry Men" (1957), "Dog Day Afternoon" (1975) and "Network" (1976)?
> 9 Bathsheba Everdene, Gabriel Oak and Fanny Robin are characters in which 1874 Thomas Hardy novel?
> 10 The site of a late 19th century gold rush, the Klondike River is a tributary of which larger North American river?

Yukon.

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 5, 2017, 8:43:33 PM2/5/17
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 Which word describes the white substance between the coloured skin
> and flesh of an orange?

Egads! I don't even know the word for it in Swedish!

> 2 Name either of the countries which contested the first World Cup
> (soccer) match on 13 July 1930.

Uruguay

> 3 Hindu is the predominant religion in 3 countries. Name any 2 of them.

Nepal and India.

> 4 Whose operatic works include "Paul Bunyan", "The Beggar's Opera"
> and "Billy Budd"?

Berthold Brecht

> 5 Herbert Sutcliffe represented which country in international cricket?

South Africa

> 10 The site of a late 19th century gold rush, the Klondike River is
> a tributary of which larger North American river?

Columbia

Peter Smyth

Feb 6, 2017, 12:03:32 PM2/6/17
Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which word describes the white substance between the coloured skin
> and flesh of an orange?
Pith
> 2 Name either of the countries which contested the first World Cup
> (soccer) match on 13 July 1930.
Uruguay
> 3 Hindu is the predominant religion in 3 countries. Name any 2 of
> them.
India and Nepal
> 4 Whose operatic works include "Paul Bunyan", "The Beggar's Opera"
> and "Billy Budd"?
>
> 5 Herbert Sutcliffe represented which country in international
> cricket?
England
> 6 Turks head, Granny and Bowline are types of what?
Knot
> 7 Which two words have been redacted from the lyrics of a 1993 George
> Thorogood hit? "Clean your act up and don't be a slob / Get it
> together like your big brother Bob / Why don't you get a haircut and
> get a …".
new job?
> 8 Which American director's films include "12 Angry Men" (1957), "Dog
> Day Afternoon" (1975) and "Network" (1976)?
>
> 9 Bathsheba Everdene, Gabriel Oak and Fanny Robin are characters in
> which 1874 Thomas Hardy novel?
Mayor of Casterbridge
> 10 The site of a late 19th century gold rush, the Klondike River is a
> tributary of which larger North American river?
Yukon

Peter Smyth

Marc Dashevsky

Feb 6, 2017, 2:41:56 PM2/6/17
In article <20036cd2-1d58-41bd...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> 1 Which word describes the white substance between the coloured skin and flesh of an orange?
pith

> 2 Name either of the countries which contested the first World Cup (soccer) match on 13 July 1930.
> 3 Hindu is the predominant religion in 3 countries. Name any 2 of them.
India, Nepal

> 4 Whose operatic works include "Paul Bunyan", "The Beggar's Opera" and "Billy Budd"?
> 5 Herbert Sutcliffe represented which country in international cricket?
> 6 Turks head, Granny and Bowline are types of what?
knot

> 7 Which two words have been redacted from the lyrics of a 1993 George Thorogood hit? "Clean your act up and don't be a slob / Get it together like your big brother Bob / Why don't you get a haircut and get a ?".
> 8 Which American director's films include "12 Angry Men" (1957), "Dog Day Afternoon" (1975) and "Network" (1976)?
Lumet

> 9 Bathsheba Everdene, Gabriel Oak and Fanny Robin are characters in which 1874 Thomas Hardy novel?
> 10 The site of a late 19th century gold rush, the Klondike River is a tributary of which larger North American river?
Yukon

> cheers,
> calvin

Dan Tilque

Feb 6, 2017, 4:51:25 PM2/6/17
Calvin wrote:
> 1 Which word describes the white substance between the coloured skin and flesh of an orange?

peel

> 2 Name either of the countries which contested the first World Cup (soccer) match on 13 July 1930.

England

> 3 Hindu is the predominant religion in 3 countries. Name any 2 of them.

India and Burma

> 4 Whose operatic works include "Paul Bunyan", "The Beggar's Opera" and "Billy Budd"?
> 5 Herbert Sutcliffe represented which country in international cricket?
> 6 Turks head, Granny and Bowline are types of what?

fishing flies

> 7 Which two words have been redacted from the lyrics of a 1993 George Thorogood hit? "Clean your act up and don't be a slob / Get it together like your big brother Bob / Why don't you get a haircut and get a …".
> 8 Which American director's films include "12 Angry Men" (1957), "Dog Day Afternoon" (1975) and "Network" (1976)?
> 9 Bathsheba Everdene, Gabriel Oak and Fanny Robin are characters in which 1874 Thomas Hardy novel?

Jude the Obscure (the only Hardy novel I know of)

> 10 The site of a late 19th century gold rush, the Klondike River is a tributary of which larger North American river?

Yukon

--
Dan Tilque

Pete

Feb 7, 2017, 12:46:30 AM2/7/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 Which word describes the white substance between the coloured
> skin and flesh of an orange?

Pulp

> 2 Name either of the countries which
> contested the first World Cup (soccer) match on 13 July 1930.

Italy

> 3 Hindu is the predominant religion in 3 countries. Name any 2
> of them.

India and Sri Lanka

> 4 Whose operatic works include "Paul Bunyan", "The Beggar's Opera"
> and "Billy Budd"?

Britten

> 5 Herbert Sutcliffe represented which country in
> international cricket?

West Indies

> 6 Turks head, Granny and Bowline are types of what?

Knots

> 7 Which two words have been redacted from the lyrics of a
> 1993 George Thorogood hit? "Clean your act up and don't be a slob /
> Get it together like your big brother Bob / Why don't you get a
> haircut and get a …".
> 8 Which American director's films include
> "12 Angry Men" (1957), "Dog Day Afternoon" (1975) and "Network"
> (1976)?

Chayefsky

> 9 Bathsheba Everdene, Gabriel Oak and Fanny Robin are
> characters in which 1874 Thomas Hardy novel?
> 10 The site of a late
> 19th century gold rush, the Klondike River is a tributary of which
> larger North American river?

Yukon

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Gareth Owen

Feb 7, 2017, 2:35:19 PM2/7/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:

> 1 Which word describes the white substance between the coloured skin
> and flesh of an orange?

Pith

> 2 Name either of the countries which contested the first World Cup
> (soccer) match on 13 July 1930.

Uruguay

> 3 Hindu is the predominant religion in 3 countries. Name any 2 of
> them.

India, Nepal

> 4 Whose operatic works include "Paul Bunyan", "The Beggar's Opera" and
> "Billy Budd"?

Britten

> 5 Herbert Sutcliffe represented which country in international
> cricket?

England (and MCC)

> 6 Turks head, Granny and Bowline are types of what?

Knot

> 7 Which two words have been redacted from the lyrics of a 1993 George
> Thorogood hit? "Clean your act up and don't be a slob / Get it
> together like your big brother Bob / Why don't you get a haircut and
> get a …".

proper job

> 8 Which American director's films include "12 Angry Men" (1957), "Dog
> Day Afternoon" (1975) and "Network" (1976)?

Sidney Lumet

> 9 Bathsheba Everdene, Gabriel Oak and Fanny Robin are characters in
> which 1874 Thomas Hardy novel?

Far From The Madding Crowd

> 10 The site of a late 19th century gold rush, the Klondike River is a
> tributary of which larger North American river?

When in doubt, say Mississippi

Calvin

Feb 10, 2017, 12:43:40 AM2/10/17
On Monday, February 6, 2017 at 8:30:03 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which word describes the white substance between the coloured skin and flesh of an orange?

Pith

> 2 Name either of the countries which contested the first World Cup (soccer) match on 13 July 1930.

France or Mexico

> 3 Hindu is the predominant religion in 3 countries. Name any 2 of them.

[2 of] India, Nepal, Mauritius

> 4 Whose operatic works include "Paul Bunyan", "The Beggar's Opera" and "Billy Budd"?

Benjamin Britten

> 5 Herbert Sutcliffe represented which country in international cricket?

England

> 6 Turks head, Granny and Bowline are types of what?

Knot

> 7 Which two words have been redacted from the lyrics of a 1993 George Thorogood hit? "Clean your act up and don't be a slob / Get it together like your big brother Bob / Why don't you get a haircut and get a …".

Real job

> 8 Which American director's films include "12 Angry Men" (1957), "Dog Day Afternoon" (1975) and "Network" (1976)?

Sidney Lumet

> 9 Bathsheba Everdene, Gabriel Oak and Fanny Robin are characters in which 1874 Thomas Hardy novel?

Far from the Madding Crowd

> 10 The site of a late 19th century gold rush, the Klondike River is a tributary of which larger North American river?

Yukon

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 473
1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 8 31 Gareth Owen
1 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 8 35 Mark Brader
1 0 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 1 6 31 Peter Smyth
1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 0 1 5 27 Marc Dashevsky
0 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 4 21 Dan Blum
1 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 4 24 Don Piven
0 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 3 17 Pete Gayde
0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 7 Erland S
1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 2 13 Dan Tilque
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
6 3 4 3 3 7 4 3 2 7 42 47%

Congratulations to Gareth and Mark for the high scores on a very tough set. Still, every question was answered correctly by at least two players which is my baseline.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Feb 10, 2017, 2:35:30 AM2/10/17
"Calvin":
> Congratulations to Gareth and Mark for the high scores on a very tough set.

Ah, that would be because you gave Gareth an extra point, and me 2 extra.
I haven't checked anyone else's scores.
--
Mark Brader | Plan B is:
Toronto | "Try Plan A again; if this fails, try Plan B".

Gareth Owen

Feb 10, 2017, 2:49:39 AM2/10/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> "Calvin":
>> Congratulations to Gareth and Mark for the high scores on a very tough set.
>
> Ah, that would be because you gave Gareth an extra point, and me 2 extra.
> I haven't checked anyone else's scores.

Yeah. I got the World Cup one wrong.

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 10, 2017, 7:35:04 AM2/10/17
Gareth Owen (gwo...@gmail.com) writes:
> Yeah. I got the World Cup one wrong.

So did I, but still got a point.

A very tough question. It seemed reasonable to assume that that the host
nation would have been in that game, but no so.

Calvin

Feb 12, 2017, 11:09:54 PM2/12/17
On Friday, February 10, 2017 at 5:35:30 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> "Calvin":
> > Congratulations to Gareth and Mark for the high scores on a very tough set.
>
> Ah, that would be because you gave Gareth an extra point, and me 2 extra.
> I haven't checked anyone else's scores.

That's a pretty big error, even by my standards.

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 473
1 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 7 27 Gareth Owen
1 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 6 29 Mark Brader
1 0 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 1 6 30 Peter Smyth
1 0 1 0 0 1 0 1 0 1 5 27 Marc Dashevsky
0 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 4 18 Dan Blum
1 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 4 23 Don Piven
0 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 3 17 Pete Gayde
1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 2 13 Dan Tilque
0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 4 Erland S
6 1 4 3 3 7 3 3 1 7 38 42%

Congratulations to Gareth for the win and the singleton for Q9, and Dan B for the singleton on Q2.

cheers,
calvin