QFTCIMI520 Game 8, Rounds 7-8: units, CFL

Mark Brader

Jun 1, 2020, 6:13:15 PM6/1/20
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2020-03-02,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of MI5 and are used here by
permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2019-10-16
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

* Game 8, Round 7 - Science - Unusual Units of Measurement

We'll give you the definition, and you select the unusual unit of
measurement it refers to, from the handout list:

| Arpent | Furman | Nibble
| Barleycorn | Gal | Olf
| Barrel | Hobo power | Oxgang
| Big Mac index | Hogshead | Pinch
| Bloit | Horsepower | Pood
| Butt | Jiffy | Puncheon
| Darwin | Li | Siriometer
| Dash | Megafonzie | Slug
| Donkeypower | Megalithic yard | Smidgen
| Ell | Mickey | Smoot
| Firkin | Micromort | Warhol
| Frigorie | Nail | Wheaton

1. What is defined as a measure of capacity for wine equal to
63 US gallons?

2. What measure, defined as the amount of land tillable in one
plowing season, is equal to about 15 acres?

3. What is defined in computing as a 4-bit aggregation, or half
an octet?

4. What is defined as 500,000 Twitter followers?

5. What is defined as a length equal to exactly 5'7" -- the height
of an MIT freshman in 1958 when he was used to measure the
length of the Harvard Bridge between Boston and Cambridge?

6. What is defined as a measure of time equal to 15 minutes?

7. What is defined as the smallest detectable movement of a
computer mouse?

8. What is defined as the risk equal to a one-in-a-million chance
of death?

9. What is defined as the amount of odor of one standard person?

10. What unit of measure is, or has been, used by physicists to
talk about gravitational acceleration?

* Game 8, Round 8 - Canadiana Sports - The CFL

1. Name the QB -- nicknamed "the Rifle" -- who played for the
Montreal Alouettes 1952-60, and who still holds the record for
most passing yards in a Grey Cup game, with 508 in the 1955
game that the Als lost.

2. Name the QB, famous for a "Hail Mary" pass, who refused to wear
gloves in freezing conditions and was hampered by the opinion
that he could not win in cold weather after losing two Western
Finals at home in Calgary.

3. Being a QB can lead to great rewards. Name the Edmonton Eskimos
QB who went on to become the premier of Alberta.

4. The first Grey Cup game was played in Toronto on 1909-12-04 at
Rosedale Field. Name *either* team involved. Be specific.

5. In the 1957 Grey Cup game in Toronto, Hamilton defensive back Ray
"Bibbles" Bawel picked off his second pass of the game with a
clear path to the end zone, be he did not score a touchdown.
Why not?

6. Who holds the CFL record for all-time passing yards with 79,816?
He retired in 2014 at age 41.

7. Give the city and team name of the only team *not* based in
Canada that has won the Grey Cup.

8. The phrases "double blue" and "boatmen" are synonymous with
the Toronto Argonauts. Okay, so they started as a rowing club,
but why did they choose the double-blue uniform colors?

9. Name the stadium that stood at the Pacific National Exhibition
site at Hastings Park in Vancouver, where the BC Lions played
until 1982.

10. The Calgary Stampeders celebrate touchdowns by racing their
touchdown horse down the sidelines. How do the Ottawa Redblacks
celebrate touchdowns at their home stadium?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net
"History tells us that the Boston 'T' Party was succeeded

Joshua Kreitzer

Jun 1, 2020, 6:41:51 PM6/1/20
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:bZqdnZS4caLr4EjDnZ2dnUU7-
WXN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Science - Unusual Units of Measurement
>
> We'll give you the definition, and you select the unusual unit of
> measurement it refers to, from the handout list:
>
> 1. What is defined as a measure of capacity for wine equal to
> 63 US gallons?

Hogshead

> 2. What measure, defined as the amount of land tillable in one
> plowing season, is equal to about 15 acres?

Li; Arpent

> 3. What is defined in computing as a 4-bit aggregation, or half
> an octet?

Nibble

> 4. What is defined as 500,000 Twitter followers?

Wheaton

> 5. What is defined as a length equal to exactly 5'7" -- the height
> of an MIT freshman in 1958 when he was used to measure the
> length of the Harvard Bridge between Boston and Cambridge?

Smoot

> 6. What is defined as a measure of time equal to 15 minutes?

Warhol

> 7. What is defined as the smallest detectable movement of a
> computer mouse?

Bloit

> 8. What is defined as the risk equal to a one-in-a-million chance
> of death?

Micromort

> 9. What is defined as the amount of odor of one standard person?

Pood

> 10. What unit of measure is, or has been, used by physicists to
> talk about gravitational acceleration?

Gal

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Canadiana Sports - The CFL
>
> 2. Name the QB, famous for a "Hail Mary" pass, who refused to wear
> gloves in freezing conditions and was hampered by the opinion
> that he could not win in cold weather after losing two Western
> Finals at home in Calgary.

Doug Flutie

> 7. Give the city and team name of the only team *not* based in
> Canada that has won the Grey Cup.

Baltimore CFL Colts

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Blum

Jun 1, 2020, 6:42:59 PM6/1/20
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Science - Unusual Units of Measurement

> 1. What is defined as a measure of capacity for wine equal to
> 63 US gallons?

butt; hogshead

> 2. What measure, defined as the amount of land tillable in one
> plowing season, is equal to about 15 acres?

oxgang

> 3. What is defined in computing as a 4-bit aggregation, or half
> an octet?

nibble

> 4. What is defined as 500,000 Twitter followers?

Wheaton

> 5. What is defined as a length equal to exactly 5'7" -- the height
> of an MIT freshman in 1958 when he was used to measure the
> length of the Harvard Bridge between Boston and Cambridge?

Smoot

> 6. What is defined as a measure of time equal to 15 minutes?

jiffy

> 7. What is defined as the smallest detectable movement of a
> computer mouse?

smidgen

> 8. What is defined as the risk equal to a one-in-a-million chance
> of death?

micromort

> 9. What is defined as the amount of odor of one standard person?

hobo power

> 10. What unit of measure is, or has been, used by physicists to
> talk about gravitational acceleration?

slug

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Canadiana Sports - The CFL

> 4. The first Grey Cup game was played in Toronto on 1909-12-04 at
> Rosedale Field. Name *either* team involved. Be specific.

Toronto Argonauts; Ottawa Roughriders

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Dan Tilque

Jun 2, 2020, 12:39:58 PM6/2/20
On 6/1/20 3:13 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Science - Unusual Units of Measurement
>
> We'll give you the definition, and you select the unusual unit of
> measurement it refers to, from the handout list:
>
> | Arpent | Furman | Nibble
> | Barleycorn | Gal | Olf
> | Barrel | Hobo power | Oxgang
> | Big Mac index | Hogshead | Pinch
> | Bloit | Horsepower | Pood
> | Butt | Jiffy | Puncheon
> | Darwin | Li | Siriometer
> | Dash | Megafonzie | Slug
> | Donkeypower | Megalithic yard | Smidgen
> | Ell | Mickey | Smoot
> | Firkin | Micromort | Warhol
> | Frigorie | Nail | Wheaton
>
> 1. What is defined as a measure of capacity for wine equal to
> 63 US gallons?

hogshead

> 2. What measure, defined as the amount of land tillable in one
> plowing season, is equal to about 15 acres?

oxgang

> 3. What is defined in computing as a 4-bit aggregation, or half
> an octet?

nibble

(often spelled nybble)

> 4. What is defined as 500,000 Twitter followers?

Wheaton

> 5. What is defined as a length equal to exactly 5'7" -- the height
> of an MIT freshman in 1958 when he was used to measure the
> length of the Harvard Bridge between Boston and Cambridge?

Smoot

> 6. What is defined as a measure of time equal to 15 minutes?

Warhol

> 7. What is defined as the smallest detectable movement of a
> computer mouse?

smidgen

> 8. What is defined as the risk equal to a one-in-a-million chance
> of death?

micromort

> 9. What is defined as the amount of odor of one standard person?

Furman

> 10. What unit of measure is, or has been, used by physicists to
> talk about gravitational acceleration?

siriometer
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Jun 2, 2020, 3:55:23 PM6/2/20
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 8, Round 7 - Science - Unusual Units of Measurement
>
> 1. What is defined as a measure of capacity for wine equal to
> 63 US gallons?

Barrel

> 3. What is defined in computing as a 4-bit aggregation, or half
> an octet?

Nibble

> 5. What is defined as a length equal to exactly 5'7" -- the height
> of an MIT freshman in 1958 when he was used to measure the
> length of the Harvard Bridge between Boston and Cambridge?

Firkin

> 8. What is defined as the risk equal to a one-in-a-million chance
> of death?

Micromort

Pete Gayde

Jun 2, 2020, 11:40:16 PM6/2/20
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:bZqdnZS4caLr4EjDnZ2dnUU7-
WXN...@giganews.com:

Hogshead; Firkin

> 2. What measure, defined as the amount of land tillable in one
> plowing season, is equal to about 15 acres?
>
> 3. What is defined in computing as a 4-bit aggregation, or half
> an octet?

Nibble

> 4. What is defined as 500,000 Twitter followers?
>
> 5. What is defined as a length equal to exactly 5'7" -- the height
> of an MIT freshman in 1958 when he was used to measure the
> length of the Harvard Bridge between Boston and Cambridge?

Warhol

> 6. What is defined as a measure of time equal to 15 minutes?
>
> 7. What is defined as the smallest detectable movement of a
> computer mouse?
>
> 8. What is defined as the risk equal to a one-in-a-million chance
> of death?
>
> 9. What is defined as the amount of odor of one standard person?
>
> 10. What unit of measure is, or has been, used by physicists to
> talk about gravitational acceleration?
>

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Canadiana Sports - The CFL
>
> 1. Name the QB -- nicknamed "the Rifle" -- who played for the
> Montreal Alouettes 1952-60, and who still holds the record for
> most passing yards in a Grey Cup game, with 508 in the 1955
> game that the Als lost.
>
> 2. Name the QB, famous for a "Hail Mary" pass, who refused to wear
> gloves in freezing conditions and was hampered by the opinion
> that he could not win in cold weather after losing two Western
> Finals at home in Calgary.
>
> 3. Being a QB can lead to great rewards. Name the Edmonton Eskimos
> QB who went on to become the premier of Alberta.
>
> 4. The first Grey Cup game was played in Toronto on 1909-12-04 at
> Rosedale Field. Name *either* team involved. Be specific.

Montreal Alouettes; Ottawa Rough Riders

> 5. In the 1957 Grey Cup game in Toronto, Hamilton defensive back Ray
> "Bibbles" Bawel picked off his second pass of the game with a
> clear path to the end zone, be he did not score a touchdown.
> Why not?
>
> 6. Who holds the CFL record for all-time passing yards with 79,816?
> He retired in 2014 at age 41.
>
> 7. Give the city and team name of the only team *not* based in
> Canada that has won the Grey Cup.
>
> 8. The phrases "double blue" and "boatmen" are synonymous with
> the Toronto Argonauts. Okay, so they started as a rowing club,
> but why did they choose the double-blue uniform colors?
>
> 9. Name the stadium that stood at the Pacific National Exhibition
> site at Hastings Park in Vancouver, where the BC Lions played
> until 1982.
>
> 10. The Calgary Stampeders celebrate touchdowns by racing their
> touchdown horse down the sidelines. How do the Ottawa Redblacks
> celebrate touchdowns at their home stadium?

Pete Gayde

Bruce Bowler

Jun 3, 2020, 10:35:10 AM6/3/20
hogshead

> 2. What measure, defined as the amount of land tillable in one
> plowing season, is equal to about 15 acres?

oxgang

> 3. What is defined in computing as a 4-bit aggregation, or half
> an octet?

nibble

> 4. What is defined as 500,000 Twitter followers?
>
> 5. What is defined as a length equal to exactly 5'7" -- the height
> of an MIT freshman in 1958 when he was used to measure the length of
> the Harvard Bridge between Boston and Cambridge?

Smoot

> 6. What is defined as a measure of time equal to 15 minutes?
>
> 7. What is defined as the smallest detectable movement of a
> computer mouse?

mickey

> 8. What is defined as the risk equal to a one-in-a-million chance
> of death?

micromort

> 9. What is defined as the amount of odor of one standard person?

big max index

> 10. What unit of measure is, or has been, used by physicists to
> talk about gravitational acceleration?
>

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Canadiana Sports - The CFL
>

> 2. Name the QB, famous for a "Hail Mary" pass, who refused to wear
> gloves in freezing conditions and was hampered by the opinion that he
> could not win in cold weather after losing two Western Finals at home
> in Calgary.

Doug Flutie

Mark Brader

Jun 4, 2020, 7:57:03 PM6/4/20
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2020-03-02,
> see my 2019-10-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Science - Unusual Units of Measurement

> We'll give you the definition, and you select the unusual unit of
> measurement it refers to, from the handout list:

> | Arpent | Furman | Nibble
> | Barleycorn | Gal | Olf
> | Barrel | Hobo power | Oxgang
> | Big Mac index | Hogshead | Pinch
> | Bloit | Horsepower | Pood
> | Butt | Jiffy | Puncheon
> | Darwin | Li | Siriometer
> | Dash | Megafonzie | Slug
> | Donkeypower | Megalithic yard | Smidgen
> | Ell | Mickey | Smoot
> | Firkin | Micromort | Warhol
> | Frigorie | Nail | Wheaton

> 1. What is defined as a measure of capacity for wine equal to
> 63 US gallons?

Hogshead. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Bruce. 3 for Pete.
2 for Dan Blum.

> 2. What measure, defined as the amount of land tillable in one
> plowing season, is equal to about 15 acres?

Oxgang. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Bruce.

> 3. What is defined in computing as a 4-bit aggregation, or half
> an octet?

Nibble. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Erland,
Pete, and Bruce.

I don't think I've ever seen this actually being used, but I've
certainly seen it mentioned. Since it's derived as a play on "byte"
-- which means the same as "octet" except in anachronustic usage --
the spelling I've more commonly seen is "nybble".

> 4. What is defined as 500,000 Twitter followers?

Wheaton. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 5. What is defined as a length equal to exactly 5'7" -- the height
> of an MIT freshman in 1958 when he was used to measure the
> length of the Harvard Bridge between Boston and Cambridge?

Smoot. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Bruce.

The bridge is still marked in smoots. Appropriately, Oliver Smoot
eventually became president of the International Organization
for Standardization, but his cousin George Smoot may have topped
him by winning the Nobel Prize in physics a couple of years later.
George Smoot is also one of only two people who won the $1,000,000 top
prize on the 2007-15 game show "Are You Smarter than a Fifth Grader?".

> 6. What is defined as a measure of time equal to 15 minutes?

Warhol. 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.

> 7. What is defined as the smallest detectable movement of a
> computer mouse?

Mickey. 4 for Bruce.

> 8. What is defined as the risk equal to a one-in-a-million chance
> of death?

Micromort. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Erland, and Bruce.

> 9. What is defined as the amount of odor of one standard person?

Olf.

> 10. What unit of measure is, or has been, used by physicists to
> talk about gravitational acceleration?

Gal. 4 for Joshua.

No, I'm not going to give definitions of the other 26. You can
probably find most or all of them explained on Russ Rowlett's web
site if you want.

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Canadiana Sports - The CFL

Even in the original game, this was the hardest round.

> 1. Name the QB -- nicknamed "the Rifle" -- who played for the
> Montreal Alouettes 1952-60, and who still holds the record for
> most passing yards in a Grey Cup game, with 508 in the 1955
> game that the Als lost.

Sam Etcheverry.

> 2. Name the QB, famous for a "Hail Mary" pass, who refused to wear
> gloves in freezing conditions and was hampered by the opinion
> that he could not win in cold weather after losing two Western
> Finals at home in Calgary.

Doug Flutie. 4 for Joshua and Bruce.

> 3. Being a QB can lead to great rewards. Name the Edmonton Eskimos
> QB who went on to become the premier of Alberta.

Don Getty. (Eskimo 1955-65, premier 1985-92.)

> 4. The first Grey Cup game was played in Toronto on 1909-12-04 at
> Rosedale Field. Name *either* team involved. Be specific.

University of Toronto (Varsity Blues), Toronto Parkdale Canoe Club.

> 5. In the 1957 Grey Cup game in Toronto, Hamilton defensive back Ray
> "Bibbles" Bawel picked off his second pass of the game with a
> clear path to the end zone, be he did not score a touchdown.
> Why not?

He was tripped by a spectator on the sidelines.

See: http://www.thestar.com/content/dam/thestar/sports/football/2010/12/15/perkins_jets_sideline_stunt_triggers_trip_down_memory_lane/bibblesbawel.jpeg
(Note the arrow.)

After the resulting penalty, Hamilton did score a touchdown.

> 6. Who holds the CFL record for all-time passing yards with 79,816?
> He retired in 2014 at age 41.

Anthony Calvillo.

> 7. Give the city and team name of the only team *not* based in
> Canada that has won the Grey Cup.

Baltimore Stallions.

The CFL expanded into the US starting in 1993, but reverted to only
having Canadian-based teams in 1996. The Stallions then moved to
Montreal and took the name of the city's earlier team, the Alouettes.

The Baltimore team did go by "CFL Colts" initially, but lost a trademark
suit over "Colts" and had to pick a new name. Since the question asked
for city and team name, that was not an acceptable answer.

> 8. The phrases "double blue" and "boatmen" are synonymous with
> the Toronto Argonauts. Okay, so they started as a rowing club,
> but why did they choose the double-blue uniform colors?

After the Cambridge (light blue) and Oxford (dark blue) university
rowing teams in England.

> 9. Name the stadium that stood at the Pacific National Exhibition
> site at Hastings Park in Vancouver, where the BC Lions played
> until 1982.

Empire Stadium.

> 10. The Calgary Stampeders celebrate touchdowns by racing their
> touchdown horse down the sidelines. How do the Ottawa Redblacks
> celebrate touchdowns at their home stadium?

They chain-saw a slice off the end of a log.

See: http://i.cbc.ca/1.3873487.1480457056!/fileImage/httpImage/image.JPG_gen/derivatives/original_780/redblacks-chainsaw.JPG

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Geo Lit Mis His Sci Can FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 24 28 32 22 28 4 112
Pete Gayde 31 15 28 28 7 0 102
Dan Tilque 24 4 12 20 28 0 84
Dan Blum 12 20 24 14 22 0 80
"Calvin" 11 32 8 14 -- -- 65
Erland Sommarskog 22 0 8 8 8 0 46
Bruce Bowler -- -- -- -- 24 4 28

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Anyone who can handle a needle convincingly can make
m...@vex.net | us see a thread which is not there." --E.H. Gombrich

Dan Tilque

Jun 5, 2020, 10:44:26 PM6/5/20
On 6/4/20 4:56 PM, Mark Brader wrote:
> Mark Brader:
>
> Nibble. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Erland,
> Pete, and Bruce.
>
> I don't think I've ever seen this actually being used, but I've
> certainly seen it mentioned. Since it's derived as a play on "byte"
> -- which means the same as "octet" except in anachronustic usage --
> the spelling I've more commonly seen is "nybble".

A system I worked on back in the 80's had a nybble array for some of its
data. I didn't design it but had to write code to access it. It was kind
of stupid to do, since it didn't save all that much memory after the
amount of extra code was taken into account. The software was designed
for a system with not so much memory (1 MB, IIRC), but as memory got
cheaper during the course of the development, it got expanded to 2 Meg.
So it was really pointless, but we didn't go back and change it.

>> 10. The Calgary Stampeders celebrate touchdowns by racing their
>> touchdown horse down the sidelines. How do the Ottawa Redblacks
>> celebrate touchdowns at their home stadium?
>
> They chain-saw a slice off the end of a log.

Copycats! The Portland Timbers have been doing that for a long time.
Except the Timbers, playing the other kind of football, do it after
every goal.

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Jun 6, 2020, 4:30:36 AM6/6/20
Mark Brader:
>> Nibble. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Erland,
>> Pete, and Bruce.
>>
>> I don't think I've ever seen this actually being used...
>> the spelling I've more commonly seen is "nybble".

Dan Tilque:
> A system I worked on back in the 80's had a nybble array for some of its
> data. I didn't design it but had to write code to access it. It was kind
> of stupid to do, since it didn't save all that much memory after the
> amount of extra code was taken into account. The software was designed
> for a system with not so much memory (1 MB, IIRC), but as memory got
> cheaper during the course of the development, it got expanded to 2 Meg.
> So it was really pointless, but we didn't go back and change it.

I am reminded of Y2K. So did it stop working after 16 years, then? :-)

>>> 10.... How do the Ottawa Redblacks
>>> celebrate touchdowns at their home stadium?
>>
>> They chain-saw a slice off the end of a log.
>
> Copycats! The Portland Timbers have been doing that for a long time.

Ah, but do they have a Redblacks logo printed on the log?

> Except the Timbers, playing the other kind of football...

American football. There's no accounting for that.
--
Mark Brader "Things are getting too standard around here.
Toronto Time to innovate!"

Dan Tilque

Jun 6, 2020, 5:18:37 AM6/6/20
On 6/6/20 1:30 AM, Mark Brader wrote:
> Mark Brader:
>>> Nibble. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Erland,
>>> Pete, and Bruce.
>>>
>>> I don't think I've ever seen this actually being used...
>>> the spelling I've more commonly seen is "nybble".
>
> Dan Tilque:
>> A system I worked on back in the 80's had a nybble array for some of its
>> data. I didn't design it but had to write code to access it. It was kind
>> of stupid to do, since it didn't save all that much memory after the
>> amount of extra code was taken into account. The software was designed
>> for a system with not so much memory (1 MB, IIRC), but as memory got
>> cheaper during the course of the development, it got expanded to 2 Meg.
>> So it was really pointless, but we didn't go back and change it.
>
> I am reminded of Y2K. So did it stop working after 16 years, then? :-)

Probably not, but there likely was some kind of strangeness in the dates
on files it created. I don't even know if they still sold the instrument
(this was an embedded system) after that long.

>>> They chain-saw a slice off the end of a log.
>>
>> Copycats! The Portland Timbers have been doing that for a long time.
>
> Ah, but do they have a Redblacks logo printed on the log?

Of course not. They don't even print a Timbers logo on it. But they've
been doing it since the 70s. They're actually on their second official
log sawyer.

>> Except the Timbers, playing the other kind of football...
>
> American football. There's no accounting for that.

No, the *other* other kind of football. Just ask Erland, he knows all
about this kind of football.

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Jun 6, 2020, 1:18:02 PM6/6/20
Dan Tilque (dti...@frontier.com) writes:
>>> Except the Timbers, playing the other kind of football...
>>
>> American football. There's no accounting for that.
>>

> No, the *other* other kind of football. Just ask Erland, he knows all
> about this kind of football.

Yeah, I said that to myself, the Timbers play real football, don't they?
I was about to make a comment, but I left the strike to Dan.

I was quite sure that they don't play American "football", since I know that
Portland does not have an NFL team. I've been riding the train from Portland
to Seattle a Sunday morning when there was a Seahawks game. The train was
packed.

Mark Brader

Jun 6, 2020, 3:19:37 PM6/6/20
Dan Tilque:
> No, the *other* other kind of football.

You must be talking about some sport other than football.
--
Mark Brader "Update Notes... v6.8.14
Toronto Introduced bugs and degraded performance"

Dan Tilque

Jun 7, 2020, 4:25:58 PM6/7/20
On 6/6/20 10:18 AM, Erland Sommarskog wrote:

> Yeah, I said that to myself, the Timbers play real football, don't they?
> I was about to make a comment, but I left the strike to Dan.
>
> I was quite sure that they don't play American "football", since I know that
> Portland does not have an NFL team. I've been riding the train from Portland
> to Seattle a Sunday morning when there was a Seahawks game. The train was
> packed.

Yes, Portland sports fans are a bit inconsistent about Seattle. If the
two cities have teams in the same league, they're total rivals. That's
the case between the Timbers and Sounders, which is the biggest rivalry
in MLS, and was the case when Seattle still had an NBA team. But when
they don't, Portland fans are mostly Seattle fans (Seahawks in the NFL
and Mariners in MLB). If Portland ever gets an MLB team (which many
people have wanted for a long time), they'll immediately have a rivalry
with Seattle. It can't be helped.

--
Dan Tilque

Dan Tilque

Jun 7, 2020, 4:28:54 PM6/7/20
On 6/6/20 12:19 PM, Mark Brader wrote:
> Dan Tilque:
>> No, the *other* other kind of football.
>
> You must be talking about some sport other than football.

Yes, the game played by Toronto FC. Where FC stands for 'football club'.

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Jun 7, 2020, 6:39:03 PM6/7/20
Dan Tilque:
>>> No, the *other* other kind of football.

Mark Brader:
>> You must be talking about some sport other than football.

Dan Tilque:
> Yes, the game played by Toronto FC. Where FC stands for 'football club'.

Etymological fallacy. :-)
--
Mark Brader Then, putting them together, we get
Toronto "Politicians lie in cast-iron sinks".

Calvin

Jun 9, 2020, 7:52:58 PM6/9/20
On Monday, June 8, 2020 at 8:39:03 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> Dan Tilque:
>
> Mark Brader:
> >> You must be talking about some sport other than football.
>
> Dan Tilque:
> > Yes, the game played by Toronto FC. Where FC stands for 'football club'.
>
> Etymological fallacy. :-)

It sure is, but people refuse to believe it.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Jun 9, 2020, 10:41:49 PM6/9/20
Mark Brader:
> > 7. What is defined as the smallest detectable movement of a
> > computer mouse?
>
> Mickey. 4 for Bruce.

By the way, a reversed version of this question appeared on "Jeopardy!"
yesterday -- just a few days after I posted these answers here. It was
answered correctly on the first try.
--
Mark Brader | "I realised... at the traditional time --
Toronto | just after clicking on Send."