QFTCI16 Game 9, Rounds 2-3: science, ex-capitals

Mark Brader

Oct 7, 2016, 12:45:21 AM10/7/16
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-07-18,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

I wrote one of these rounds.

* Game 9, Round 2 - Science

1. What branch of medical science is this round about? One of
its best-known practitioners was Wilder Penfield.

After you have finished with question #1, please decode the rot13
as far as the "=====" separator after question #10, *but no farther*.

Gb or rknpg, gur ebhaq vf nobhg arhebfpvrapr -- *naq ol gur jnl,
qbrf nalbar urer fzryy oheag gbnfg?*

2. Anzr gur Pnanqvna vafgvghgvba, qrqvpngrq gb pyvavpny naq erfrnepu
arhebfpvrapr, sbhaqrq ol Jvyqre Crasvryq va 1934.

3. Crasvryq'f erfrnepu ohvyg ba n sbhaqngvba rfgnoyvfurq znal
qrpnqrf rneyvre ol gjb 19gu-praghel fpvragvfgf. Ynetryl guebhtu
gur fghql bs ynathntr shapgvba, gurl pbapyhqrq gung qvssrerag
nernf bs gur oenva ner erfcbafvoyr sbe qvssrerag shapgvbaf
-- naq rnpu bar abj unf bar bs gubfr nernf anzrq nsgre uvz.
Anzr rvgure zna.

4. Oevgvfu arhebybtvfg Wbua Uhtuyvatf Wnpxfba vasreerq gur shapgvba
bs gur zbgbe pbegrk ol bofreivat cngvragf jvgu jung qvfbeqre?

5. Qbcnzvar, rcvarcuevar, tyhgnzngr, frebgbava, naq gelcgnzvar
ner nyy rknzcyrf bs jung glcr bs purzvpny?

6. Gur qrngu bs qbcnzvar-trarengvat pryyf va gur "fhofgnagvn avten"
bs gur oenva erfhygf va flzcgbzf bs juvpu arheb-qrtrarengvir
qvfrnfr?

7. Fbzr arhebaf vapyhqr n ybat cneg gung genafzvgf vzchyfrf njnl
sebz gur pryy obql. Anzr vg.

8. Byvire Fnpxf, jub qvrq va 2015, jnf bar bs gur sberzbfg
genafzvggref bs arhebfpvragvsvp yber gb n cbchyne nhqvrapr.
Bar bs uvf obbxf gbbx vgf gvgyr sebz gur fgbel bs n zhfvp
cebsrffbe jub jnf tenqhnyyl ybfvat gur novyvgl gb ivfhnyyl
vqragvsl pbzzba bowrpgf. Jung jnf gung gvgyr?

9. Fnpxf jnf vasyhraprq va uvf jevgvat ol juvpu tebhaqoernxvat
Fbivrg culfvpvna naq cflpubybtvfg, nhgube bs "Gur Zna jvgu n
Funggrerq Jbeyq", jubfr jbex urycrq gb rfgnoyvfu arhebcflpubybtl
nf n qvfpvcyvar?

10. Urael Zbynvfba, jub qvrq va 2008 naq sbe zbfg bs uvf yvsr
jnf xabja gb gur jvqre jbeyq bayl nf "U.Z.", vf creuncf
gur zbfg snzbhf cngvrag naq erfrnepu fhowrpg va gur svryq
bs arhebcflpubybtl, orpnhfr bs gur hahfhny naq qrinfgngvat
qvfnovyvgl ur jnf yrsg jvgu, sbyybjvat fhetrel gb gerng frirer
rcvyrcfl. Jung qvfnovyvgl?

=====
After completing the round, please decode this final piece of
rot13: Vs lbh nafjrerq "nzarfvn" sbe gur ynfg dhrfgvba, tb onpx
naq or zber fcrpvsvp.

* Game 9, Round 3 - Historic Geography - Former Capitals

For those of you who track rounds by category, note that there will
be several "miscellaneous" rounds in this game, and to make room for
that, we'll be doubling up on some other categories. This round is
on former capital cities, and we're calling it "historic geography".

1. Between 1789 when the US adopted its constitution, and 1800
when the capital was finally moved to Washington, the country's
two largest cities each had a turn as capital. Name *both*
of them.

2. When West Germany was created as a new country, nobody expected
it to stay a separate country for long, so its capital was was
chosen on a provisional basis -- and they deliberately avoided
choosing an important city that might later attempt to remain
the capital permanently. But in the end that provisional choice
remained the capital for over 40 years until the reunification
with East Germany finally took place. Name the city.

The remaining questions all refer to countries that have simply
moved their capital to a different city, where it still is now.
In some cases this was a newly created city, in others not.
In each case the date we mention is the year that the new location
was officially designated as capital, and does not mean that all
government functions were transferred that year. In some cases
they still haven't all been transferred! But that doesn't matter.
All you have to tell us is what city was the *previous* capital,
*before* the move.

If the city name is multiple words, the full name (as commonly used)
is of course required: for example, "Las Vegas", not "Vegas".

3. Nigeria. Since 1991 the capital has been Abuja. What was
it before?

4. Côte d'Ivoire ["COAT dee-VWAHR"], or the Ivory Coast.
Since 1983, Yamoussoukro. What was it before?

5. Kazakhstan. Since 1997 the capital has been Astana (or Akmola,
its previous name). The usual question: what was it before?

6. Pakistan. Since 1967, Islamabad.
7. Tanzania. Since 1996, Dodoma.
8. Turkey. Since 1923, Ankara.
9. Russia. Since 1918, Moscow.
10. Brazil. Since 1960, Brasilia.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "If you want a 20th century solution, the
m...@vex.net | obvious answer is helicopters!" -- Bob Scheurle

Calvin

Oct 7, 2016, 1:34:21 AM10/7/16
On Friday, October 7, 2016 at 2:45:21 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 2 - Science

Pass

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Historic Geography - Former Capitals
>
> For those of you who track rounds by category, note that there will
> be several "miscellaneous" rounds in this game, and to make room for
> that, we'll be doubling up on some other categories. This round is
> on former capital cities, and we're calling it "historic geography".
>
> 1. Between 1789 when the US adopted its constitution, and 1800
> when the capital was finally moved to Washington, the country's
> two largest cities each had a turn as capital. Name *both*
> of them.

Philadelphia and New York

> 2. When West Germany was created as a new country, nobody expected
> it to stay a separate country for long, so its capital was was
> chosen on a provisional basis -- and they deliberately avoided
> choosing an important city that might later attempt to remain
> the capital permanently. But in the end that provisional choice
> remained the capital for over 40 years until the reunification
> with East Germany finally took place. Name the city.

Bonn

> 3. Nigeria. Since 1991 the capital has been Abuja. What was
> it before?

Lagos

> 4. Côte d'Ivoire ["COAT dee-VWAHR"], or the Ivory Coast.
> Since 1983, Yamoussoukro. What was it before?
>
> 5. Kazakhstan. Since 1997 the capital has been Astana (or Akmola,
> its previous name). The usual question: what was it before?
>
> 6. Pakistan. Since 1967, Islamabad.

Karachi, Lahore

> 7. Tanzania. Since 1996, Dodoma.

Dar es Salam

> 8. Turkey. Since 1923, Ankara.

Istanbul, Smyrna

> 9. Russia. Since 1918, Moscow.

St Petersburg

> 10. Brazil. Since 1960, Brasilia.

Rio de Janeiro

cheers,
calvin

Peter Smyth

Oct 7, 2016, 9:19:34 AM10/7/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-07-18,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>
> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 9, Round 2 - Science
>
> 1. What branch of medical science is this round about? One of
> its best-known practitioners was Wilder Penfield.
>
> After you have finished with question #1, please decode the rot13
> as far as the "=====" separator after question #10, *but no farther*.
>
> To be exact, the round is about neuroscience -- *and by the way,
> does anyone here smell burnt toast?*
>
> 2. Name the Canadian institution, dedicated to clinical and research
> neuroscience, founded by Wilder Penfield in 1934.
>
> 3. Penfield's research built on a foundation established many
> decades earlier by two 19th-century scientists. Largely through
> the study of language function, they concluded that different
> areas of the brain are responsible for different functions
> -- and each one now has one of those areas named after him.
> Name either man.
>
> 4. British neurologist John Hughlings Jackson inferred the function
> of the motor cortex by observing patients with what disorder?
Motor Neurone Disease
> 5. Dopamine, epinephrine, glutamate, serotonin, and tryptamine
> are all examples of what type of chemical?
Neurotransmitter
> 6. The death of dopamine-generating cells in the "substantia nigra"
> of the brain results in symptoms of which neuro-degenerative
> disease?
Alzheimers, Parkinsons
> 7. Some neurons include a long part that transmits impulses away
> from the cell body. Name it.
Nerve
> 8. Oliver Sacks, who died in 2015, was one of the foremost
> transmitters of neuroscientific lore to a popular audience.
> One of his books took its title from the story of a music
> professor who was gradually losing the ability to visually
> identify common objects. What was that title?
The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat
> 9. Sacks was influenced in his writing by which groundbreaking
> Soviet physician and psychologist, author of "The Man with a
> Shattered World", whose work helped to establish neuropsychology
> as a discipline?
>
> 10. Henry Molaison, who died in 2008 and for most of his life
> was known to the wider world only as "H.M.", is perhaps
> the most famous patient and research subject in the field
> of neuropsychology, because of the unusual and devastating
> disability he was left with, following surgery to treat severe
> epilepsy. What disability?
>
> =====
> After completing the round, please decode this final piece of
> rot13: If you answered "amnesia" for the last question, go back
> and be more specific.
>

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Historic Geography - Former Capitals
>
> For those of you who track rounds by category, note that there will
> be several "miscellaneous" rounds in this game, and to make room for
> that, we'll be doubling up on some other categories. This round is
> on former capital cities, and we're calling it "historic geography".
>
> 1. Between 1789 when the US adopted its constitution, and 1800
> when the capital was finally moved to Washington, the country's
> two largest cities each had a turn as capital. Name both
> of them.
Philadelphia and New York
> 2. When West Germany was created as a new country, nobody expected
> it to stay a separate country for long, so its capital was was
> chosen on a provisional basis -- and they deliberately avoided
> choosing an important city that might later attempt to remain
> the capital permanently. But in the end that provisional choice
> remained the capital for over 40 years until the reunification
> with East Germany finally took place. Name the city.
Bonn
> The remaining questions all refer to countries that have simply
> moved their capital to a different city, where it still is now.
> In some cases this was a newly created city, in others not.
> In each case the date we mention is the year that the new location
> was officially designated as capital, and does not mean that all
> government functions were transferred that year. In some cases
> they still haven't all been transferred! But that doesn't matter.
> All you have to tell us is what city was the previous capital,
> before the move.
>
> If the city name is multiple words, the full name (as commonly used)
> is of course required: for example, "Las Vegas", not "Vegas".
>
> 3. Nigeria. Since 1991 the capital has been Abuja. What was
> it before?
Lagos
> 4. Côte d'Ivoire ["COAT dee-VWAHR"], or the Ivory Coast.
> Since 1983, Yamoussoukro. What was it before?
Abdijan
> 5. Kazakhstan. Since 1997 the capital has been Astana (or Akmola,
> its previous name). The usual question: what was it before?
>
> 6. Pakistan. Since 1967, Islamabad.
Karachi
> 7. Tanzania. Since 1996, Dodoma.
Dar Es Salaam
> 8. Turkey. Since 1923, Ankara.
Istanbul
> 9. Russia. Since 1918, Moscow.
St Petersburg
> 10. Brazil. Since 1960, Brasilia.
Sao Paulo, Rio De Janeiro

Peter Smyth

bbowler

Oct 7, 2016, 9:34:18 AM10/7/16
On Thu, 06 Oct 2016 23:45:16 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-07-18, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup, based only on
> your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the questions and
> place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and are used
> here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2016-05-31
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>
> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 9, Round 2 - Science
>
> 1. What branch of medical science is this round about? One of
> its best-known practitioners was Wilder Penfield.

Surgery

> After you have finished with question #1, please decode the rot13 as far
> as the "=====" separator after question #10, *but no farther*.
>
> To be exact, the round is about neuroscience -- *and by the way, does
> anyone here smell burnt toast?*
>
> 2. Name the Canadian institution, dedicated to clinical and research
> neuroscience, founded by Wilder Penfield in 1934.
>
> 3. Penfield's research built on a foundation established many
> decades earlier by two 19th-century scientists. Largely through the
> study of language function, they concluded that different areas of
> the brain are responsible for different functions -- and each one now
> has one of those areas named after him. Name either man.
>
> 4. British neurologist John Hughlings Jackson inferred the function
> of the motor cortex by observing patients with what disorder?

Parkinsons

> 5. Dopamine, epinephrine, glutamate, serotonin, and tryptamine
> are all examples of what type of chemical?
>
> 6. The death of dopamine-generating cells in the "substantia nigra"
> of the brain results in symptoms of which neuro-degenerative disease?

ALS

> 7. Some neurons include a long part that transmits impulses away
> from the cell body. Name it.

Ganglia

> 8. Oliver Sacks, who died in 2015, was one of the foremost
> transmitters of neuroscientific lore to a popular audience.
> One of his books took its title from the story of a music professor
> who was gradually losing the ability to visually identify common
> objects. What was that title?
>
> 9. Sacks was influenced in his writing by which groundbreaking
> Soviet physician and psychologist, author of "The Man with a
> Shattered World", whose work helped to establish neuropsychology as a
> discipline?
>
> 10. Henry Molaison, who died in 2008 and for most of his life
> was known to the wider world only as "H.M.", is perhaps the most
> famous patient and research subject in the field of neuropsychology,
> because of the unusual and devastating disability he was left with,
> following surgery to treat severe epilepsy. What disability?

The inability to recognize people known to him

> =====
> After completing the round, please decode this final piece of rot13: Vs
> lbh nafjrerq "nzarfvn" sbe gur ynfg dhrfgvba, tb onpx naq or zber
> fcrpvsvp.
>

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Historic Geography - Former Capitals
>
> For those of you who track rounds by category, note that there will be
> several "miscellaneous" rounds in this game, and to make room for that,
> we'll be doubling up on some other categories. This round is on former
> capital cities, and we're calling it "historic geography".
>
> 1. Between 1789 when the US adopted its constitution, and 1800
> when the capital was finally moved to Washington, the country's two
> largest cities each had a turn as capital. Name *both*
> of them.

Philadelphia and new york

> 2. When West Germany was created as a new country, nobody expected
> it to stay a separate country for long, so its capital was was chosen
> on a provisional basis -- and they deliberately avoided choosing an
> important city that might later attempt to remain the capital
> permanently. But in the end that provisional choice remained the
> capital for over 40 years until the reunification with East Germany
> finally took place. Name the city.

Bonn

> The remaining questions all refer to countries that have simply moved
> their capital to a different city, where it still is now.
> In some cases this was a newly created city, in others not.
> In each case the date we mention is the year that the new location was
> officially designated as capital, and does not mean that all government
> functions were transferred that year. In some cases they still haven't
> all been transferred! But that doesn't matter. All you have to tell us
> is what city was the *previous* capital, *before* the move.
>
> If the city name is multiple words, the full name (as commonly used) is
> of course required: for example, "Las Vegas", not "Vegas".
>
> 3. Nigeria. Since 1991 the capital has been Abuja. What was
> it before?

Lagos

> 4. Côte d'Ivoire ["COAT dee-VWAHR"], or the Ivory Coast.
> Since 1983, Yamoussoukro. What was it before?
>
> 5. Kazakhstan. Since 1997 the capital has been Astana (or Akmola,
> its previous name). The usual question: what was it before?
>
> 6. Pakistan. Since 1967, Islamabad.
> 7. Tanzania. Since 1996, Dodoma.
> 8. Turkey. Since 1923, Ankara.
> 9. Russia. Since 1918, Moscow.

St Petersburg

> 10. Brazil. Since 1960, Brasilia.

Rio De Janeiro

Dan Blum

Oct 7, 2016, 10:03:15 AM10/7/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 2 - Science

> 3. Crasvryq'f erfrnepu ohvyg ba n sbhaqngvba rfgnoyvfurq znal
> qrpnqrf rneyvre ol gjb 19gu-praghel fpvragvfgf. Ynetryl guebhtu
> gur fghql bs ynathntr shapgvba, gurl pbapyhqrq gung qvssrerag
> nernf bs gur oenva ner erfcbafvoyr sbe qvssrerag shapgvbaf
> -- naq rnpu bar abj unf bar bs gubfr nernf anzrq nsgre uvz.
> Anzr rvgure zna.

Broca

> 4. Oevgvfu arhebybtvfg Wbua Uhtuyvatf Wnpxfba vasreerq gur shapgvba
> bs gur zbgbe pbegrk ol bofreivat cngvragf jvgu jung qvfbeqre?

Parkinson's disease; epilepsy

> 5. Qbcnzvar, rcvarcuevar, tyhgnzngr, frebgbava, naq gelcgnzvar
> ner nyy rknzcyrf bs jung glcr bs purzvpny?

neurotransmitters

> 6. Gur qrngu bs qbcnzvar-trarengvat pryyf va gur "fhofgnagvn avten"
> bs gur oenva erfhygf va flzcgbzf bs juvpu arheb-qrtrarengvir
> qvfrnfr?

Parkinson's disease; Huntington's disease

> 7. Fbzr arhebaf vapyhqr n ybat cneg gung genafzvgf vzchyfrf njnl
> sebz gur pryy obql. Anzr vg.

axon

> 8. Byvire Fnpxf, jub qvrq va 2015, jnf bar bs gur sberzbfg
> genafzvggref bs arhebfpvragvsvp yber gb n cbchyne nhqvrapr.
> Bar bs uvf obbxf gbbx vgf gvgyr sebz gur fgbel bs n zhfvp
> cebsrffbe jub jnf tenqhnyyl ybfvat gur novyvgl gb ivfhnyyl
> vqragvsl pbzzba bowrpgf. Jung jnf gung gvgyr?

The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat

> 9. Fnpxf jnf vasyhraprq va uvf jevgvat ol juvpu tebhaqoernxvat
> Fbivrg culfvpvna naq cflpubybtvfg, nhgube bs "Gur Zna jvgu n
> Funggrerq Jbeyq", jubfr jbex urycrq gb rfgnoyvfu arhebcflpubybtl
> nf n qvfpvcyvar?

Luria

> 10. Urael Zbynvfba, jub qvrq va 2008 naq sbe zbfg bs uvf yvsr
> jnf xabja gb gur jvqre jbeyq bayl nf "U.Z.", vf creuncf
> gur zbfg snzbhf cngvrag naq erfrnepu fhowrpg va gur svryq
> bs arhebcflpubybtl, orpnhfr bs gur hahfhny naq qrinfgngvat
> qvfnovyvgl ur jnf yrsg jvgu, sbyybjvat fhetrel gb gerng frirer
> rcvyrcfl. Jung qvfnovyvgl?

anterograde amnesia

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Historic Geography - Former Capitals

> 1. Between 1789 when the US adopted its constitution, and 1800
> when the capital was finally moved to Washington, the country's
> two largest cities each had a turn as capital. Name *both*
> of them.

New York City and Philadelphia

> 2. When West Germany was created as a new country, nobody expected
> it to stay a separate country for long, so its capital was was
> chosen on a provisional basis -- and they deliberately avoided
> choosing an important city that might later attempt to remain
> the capital permanently. But in the end that provisional choice
> remained the capital for over 40 years until the reunification
> with East Germany finally took place. Name the city.

Bonn

> 3. Nigeria. Since 1991 the capital has been Abuja. What was
> it before?

Lagos

> 4. C?te d'Ivoire ["COAT dee-VWAHR"], or the Ivory Coast.
> Since 1983, Yamoussoukro. What was it before?

Abidjan

> 5. Kazakhstan. Since 1997 the capital has been Astana (or Akmola,
> its previous name). The usual question: what was it before?

Tashkent; Dushanbe

> 6. Pakistan. Since 1967, Islamabad.

Karachi

> 7. Tanzania. Since 1996, Dodoma.

Dar es Salaam

> 8. Turkey. Since 1923, Ankara.

Istanbul

> 9. Russia. Since 1918, Moscow.

St. Petersburg

> 10. Brazil. Since 1960, Brasilia.

Sao Paulo; Rio de Janeiro

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Björn Lundin

Oct 7, 2016, 11:02:32 AM10/7/16
On 2016-10-07 06:45, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-07-18,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>
> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 9, Round 2 - Science
>
> 1. What branch of medical science is this round about? One of
> its best-known practitioners was Wilder Penfield.
>
> After you have finished with question #1, please decode the rot13
> as far as the "=====" separator after question #10, *but no farther*.
>

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Historic Geography - Former Capitals
>
> For those of you who track rounds by category, note that there will
> be several "miscellaneous" rounds in this game, and to make room for
> that, we'll be doubling up on some other categories. This round is
> on former capital cities, and we're calling it "historic geography".
>
> 1. Between 1789 when the US adopted its constitution, and 1800
> when the capital was finally moved to Washington, the country's
> two largest cities each had a turn as capital. Name *both*
> of them.

Philadelphia, Boston?

> 2. When West Germany was created as a new country, nobody expected
> it to stay a separate country for long, so its capital was was
> chosen on a provisional basis -- and they deliberately avoided
> choosing an important city that might later attempt to remain
> the capital permanently. But in the end that provisional choice
> remained the capital for over 40 years until the reunification
> with East Germany finally took place. Name the city.

Bern

> The remaining questions all refer to countries that have simply
> moved their capital to a different city, where it still is now.
> In some cases this was a newly created city, in others not.
> In each case the date we mention is the year that the new location
> was officially designated as capital, and does not mean that all
> government functions were transferred that year. In some cases
> they still haven't all been transferred! But that doesn't matter.
> All you have to tell us is what city was the *previous* capital,
> *before* the move.
>
> If the city name is multiple words, the full name (as commonly used)
> is of course required: for example, "Las Vegas", not "Vegas".
>
> 3. Nigeria. Since 1991 the capital has been Abuja. What was
> it before?

ouggadougga

> 4. Côte d'Ivoire ["COAT dee-VWAHR"], or the Ivory Coast.
> Since 1983, Yamoussoukro. What was it before?
Freetown

> 5. Kazakhstan. Since 1997 the capital has been Astana (or Akmola,
> its previous name). The usual question: what was it before?
Alma Ata

> 6. Pakistan. Since 1967, Islamabad.
Lahore
> 7. Tanzania. Since 1996, Dodoma.
Dar es Salaam
> 8. Turkey. Since 1923, Ankara.
Istanbul
> 9. Russia. Since 1918, Moscow.
St: Petersburg

> 10. Brazil. Since 1960, Brasilia.
Sao Paulo

Björn

Erland Sommarskog

Oct 7, 2016, 3:28:48 PM10/7/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 5. Qbcnzvar, rcvarcuevar, tyhgnzngr, frebgbava, naq gelcgnzvar
> ner nyy rknzcyrf bs jung glcr bs purzvpny?

Signal substances

> 6. Gur qrngu bs qbcnzvar-trarengvat pryyf va gur "fhofgnagvn avten"
> bs gur oenva erfhygf va flzcgbzf bs juvpu arheb-qrtrarengvir
> qvfrnfr?

Alzeheimer

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Historic Geography - Former Capitals
>
> 1. Between 1789 when the US adopted its constitution, and 1800
> when the capital was finally moved to Washington, the country's
> two largest cities each had a turn as capital. Name *both*
> of them.

Philadelphia, New York

> 2. When West Germany was created as a new country, nobody expected
> it to stay a separate country for long, so its capital was was
> chosen on a provisional basis -- and they deliberately avoided
> choosing an important city that might later attempt to remain
> the capital permanently. But in the end that provisional choice
> remained the capital for over 40 years until the reunification
> with East Germany finally took place. Name the city.

Bonn

> 3. Nigeria. Since 1991 the capital has been Abuja. What was
> it before?

Lagos

> 4. Côte d'Ivoire ["COAT dee-VWAHR"], or the Ivory Coast.
> Since 1983, Yamoussoukro. What was it before?

Abidjan

> 5. Kazakhstan. Since 1997 the capital has been Astana (or Akmola,
> its previous name). The usual question: what was it before?

Almaty - or was that Alma Ata? Same city, different names. I believe
the change to Almaty was before 1998. Yes, that was the year. Not
1997.

> 6. Pakistan. Since 1967, Islamabad.

Karachi

> 7. Tanzania. Since 1996, Dodoma.

Dar-es-Salam

> 8. Turkey. Since 1923, Ankara.

Istanbul

> 9. Russia. Since 1918, Moscow.

Petrograd

> 10. Brazil. Since 1960, Brasilia.

Rio de Janeiro

Joshua Kreitzer

Oct 7, 2016, 8:37:17 PM10/7/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:Vu6dnaR6B63BtWrKnZ2dnUU7-
WfN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 9, Round 2 - Science
>
> 3. Crasvryq'f erfrnepu ohvyg ba n sbhaqngvba rfgnoyvfurq znal
> qrpnqrf rneyvre ol gjb 19gu-praghel fpvragvfgf. Ynetryl guebhtu
> gur fghql bs ynathntr shapgvba, gurl pbapyhqrq gung qvssrerag
> nernf bs gur oenva ner erfcbafvoyr sbe qvssrerag shapgvbaf
> -- naq rnpu bar abj unf bar bs gubfr nernf anzrq nsgre uvz.
> Anzr rvgure zna.

Broca

> 8. Byvire Fnpxf, jub qvrq va 2015, jnf bar bs gur sberzbfg
> genafzvggref bs arhebfpvragvsvp yber gb n cbchyne nhqvrapr.
> Bar bs uvf obbxf gbbx vgf gvgyr sebz gur fgbel bs n zhfvp
> cebsrffbe jub jnf tenqhnyyl ybfvat gur novyvgl gb ivfhnyyl
> vqragvsl pbzzba bowrpgf. Jung jnf gung gvgyr?

"The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat"

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Historic Geography - Former Capitals
>
> 1. Between 1789 when the US adopted its constitution, and 1800
> when the capital was finally moved to Washington, the country's
> two largest cities each had a turn as capital. Name *both*
> of them.

New York and Philadelphia

> 2. When West Germany was created as a new country, nobody expected
> it to stay a separate country for long, so its capital was was
> chosen on a provisional basis -- and they deliberately avoided
> choosing an important city that might later attempt to remain
> the capital permanently. But in the end that provisional choice
> remained the capital for over 40 years until the reunification
> with East Germany finally took place. Name the city.

Bonn

> 3. Nigeria. Since 1991 the capital has been Abuja. What was
> it before?

Lagos

> 4. Côte d'Ivoire ["COAT dee-VWAHR"], or the Ivory Coast.
> Since 1983, Yamoussoukro. What was it before?

Abidjan

> 5. Kazakhstan. Since 1997 the capital has been Astana (or Akmola,
> its previous name). The usual question: what was it before?

Almaty

> 6. Pakistan. Since 1967, Islamabad.

Lahore

> 7. Tanzania. Since 1996, Dodoma.

Dar Es Salaam

> 8. Turkey. Since 1923, Ankara.

Istanbul

> 9. Russia. Since 1918, Moscow.

St. Petersburg

> 10. Brazil. Since 1960, Brasilia.

Rio de Janeiro

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Pete

Oct 7, 2016, 8:37:29 PM10/7/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:Vu6dnaR6B63BtWrKnZ2dnUU7-
WfN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-07-18,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>
> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 9, Round 2 - Science
>
> 1. What branch of medical science is this round about? One of
> its best-known practitioners was Wilder Penfield.

Oncology

> After you have finished with question #1, please decode the rot13
> as far as the "=====" separator after question #10, *but no farther*.
>
> Gb or rknpg, gur ebhaq vf nobhg arhebfpvrapr -- *naq ol gur jnl,
> qbrf nalbar urer fzryy oheag gbnfg?*
>
> 2. Anzr gur Pnanqvna vafgvghgvba, qrqvpngrq gb pyvavpny naq erfrnepu
> arhebfpvrapr, sbhaqrq ol Jvyqre Crasvryq va 1934.
>
> 3. Crasvryq'f erfrnepu ohvyg ba n sbhaqngvba rfgnoyvfurq znal
> qrpnqrf rneyvre ol gjb 19gu-praghel fpvragvfgf. Ynetryl guebhtu
> gur fghql bs ynathntr shapgvba, gurl pbapyhqrq gung qvssrerag
> nernf bs gur oenva ner erfcbafvoyr sbe qvssrerag shapgvbaf
> -- naq rnpu bar abj unf bar bs gubfr nernf anzrq nsgre uvz.
> Anzr rvgure zna.
>
> 4. Oevgvfu arhebybtvfg Wbua Uhtuyvatf Wnpxfba vasreerq gur shapgvba
> bs gur zbgbe pbegrk ol bofreivat cngvragf jvgu jung qvfbeqre?

Epilepsy

> 5. Qbcnzvar, rcvarcuevar, tyhgnzngr, frebgbava, naq gelcgnzvar
> ner nyy rknzcyrf bs jung glcr bs purzvpny?
>
> 6. Gur qrngu bs qbcnzvar-trarengvat pryyf va gur "fhofgnagvn avten"
> bs gur oenva erfhygf va flzcgbzf bs juvpu arheb-qrtrarengvir
> qvfrnfr?

Alzheimers; Parkinsons
New York and Philadelphia

> 2. When West Germany was created as a new country, nobody expected
> it to stay a separate country for long, so its capital was was
> chosen on a provisional basis -- and they deliberately avoided
> choosing an important city that might later attempt to remain
> the capital permanently. But in the end that provisional choice
> remained the capital for over 40 years until the reunification
> with East Germany finally took place. Name the city.

Bonn

> The remaining questions all refer to countries that have simply
> moved their capital to a different city, where it still is now.
> In some cases this was a newly created city, in others not.
> In each case the date we mention is the year that the new location
> was officially designated as capital, and does not mean that all
> government functions were transferred that year. In some cases
> they still haven't all been transferred! But that doesn't matter.
> All you have to tell us is what city was the *previous* capital,
> *before* the move.
>
> If the city name is multiple words, the full name (as commonly used)
> is of course required: for example, "Las Vegas", not "Vegas".
>
> 3. Nigeria. Since 1991 the capital has been Abuja. What was
> it before?

Lagos

> 4. Côte d'Ivoire ["COAT dee-VWAHR"], or the Ivory Coast.
> Since 1983, Yamoussoukro. What was it before?

Abidjan

> 5. Kazakhstan. Since 1997 the capital has been Astana (or Akmola,
> its previous name). The usual question: what was it before?

Almaty

> 6. Pakistan. Since 1967, Islamabad.

Karachi

> 7. Tanzania. Since 1996, Dodoma.
> 8. Turkey. Since 1923, Ankara.

Istanbul

> 9. Russia. Since 1918, Moscow.

St Petersburg

> 10. Brazil. Since 1960, Brasilia.

Rio de Janeiro

Pete Gayde

Jason Kreitzer

Oct 7, 2016, 9:35:12 PM10/7/16
New York City and Philadelphia.

> 2. When West Germany was created as a new country, nobody expected
> it to stay a separate country for long, so its capital was was
> chosen on a provisional basis -- and they deliberately avoided
> choosing an important city that might later attempt to remain
> the capital permanently. But in the end that provisional choice
> remained the capital for over 40 years until the reunification
> with East Germany finally took place. Name the city.
Bonn
> The remaining questions all refer to countries that have simply
> moved their capital to a different city, where it still is now.
> In some cases this was a newly created city, in others not.
> In each case the date we mention is the year that the new location
> was officially designated as capital, and does not mean that all
> government functions were transferred that year. In some cases
> they still haven't all been transferred! But that doesn't matter.
> All you have to tell us is what city was the *previous* capital,
> *before* the move.
>
> If the city name is multiple words, the full name (as commonly used)
> is of course required: for example, "Las Vegas", not "Vegas".
>
> 3. Nigeria. Since 1991 the capital has been Abuja. What was
> it before?
>
> 4. Côte d'Ivoire ["COAT dee-VWAHR"], or the Ivory Coast.
> Since 1983, Yamoussoukro. What was it before?
>
> 5. Kazakhstan. Since 1997 the capital has been Astana (or Akmola,
> its previous name). The usual question: what was it before?
>
> 6. Pakistan. Since 1967, Islamabad.
> 7. Tanzania. Since 1996, Dodoma.
> 8. Turkey. Since 1923, Ankara.
Istanbul?
> 9. Russia. Since 1918, Moscow.
> 10. Brazil. Since 1960, Brasilia.
Sao Paolo?

Marc Dashevsky

Oct 7, 2016, 9:47:41 PM10/7/16
In article <Vu6dnaR6B63BtWrK...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 9, Round 2 - Science
>
> 1. What branch of medical science is this round about? One of
> its best-known practitioners was Wilder Penfield.
>
> 2. Name the Canadian institution, dedicated to clinical and research
> neuroscience, founded by Wilder Penfield in 1934.
>
> 3. Penfield's research built on a foundation established many
> decades earlier by two 19th-century scientists. Largely through
> the study of language function, they concluded that different
> areas of the brain are responsible for different functions
> -- and each one now has one of those areas named after him.
> Name either man.
>
> 4. British neurologist John Hughlings Jackson inferred the function
> of the motor cortex by observing patients with what disorder?
falling sickness

> 5. Dopamine, epinephrine, glutamate, serotonin, and tryptamine
> are all examples of what type of chemical?
neurotransmitter

> 6. The death of dopamine-generating cells in the "substantia nigra"
> of the brain results in symptoms of which neuro-degenerative
> disease?
parkinsonism

> 7. Some neurons include a long part that transmits impulses away
> from the cell body. Name it.
axon

> 8. Oliver Sacks, who died in 2015, was one of the foremost
> transmitters of neuroscientific lore to a popular audience.
> One of his books took its title from the story of a music
> professor who was gradually losing the ability to visually
> identify common objects. What was that title?
The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat

> 9. Sacks was influenced in his writing by which groundbreaking
> Soviet physician and psychologist, author of "The Man with a
> Shattered World", whose work helped to establish neuropsychology
> as a discipline?
>
> 10. Henry Molaison, who died in 2008 and for most of his life
> was known to the wider world only as "H.M.", is perhaps
> the most famous patient and research subject in the field
> of neuropsychology, because of the unusual and devastating
> disability he was left with, following surgery to treat severe
> epilepsy. What disability?
he had no ability to form new memories

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Historic Geography - Former Capitals
>
> For those of you who track rounds by category, note that there will
> be several "miscellaneous" rounds in this game, and to make room for
> that, we'll be doubling up on some other categories. This round is
> on former capital cities, and we're calling it "historic geography".
>
> 1. Between 1789 when the US adopted its constitution, and 1800
> when the capital was finally moved to Washington, the country's
> two largest cities each had a turn as capital. Name *both*
> of them.
New York City and Philadelphia

> 2. When West Germany was created as a new country, nobody expected
> it to stay a separate country for long, so its capital was was
> chosen on a provisional basis -- and they deliberately avoided
> choosing an important city that might later attempt to remain
> the capital permanently. But in the end that provisional choice
> remained the capital for over 40 years until the reunification
> with East Germany finally took place. Name the city.
Bonn

> The remaining questions all refer to countries that have simply
> moved their capital to a different city, where it still is now.
> In some cases this was a newly created city, in others not.
> In each case the date we mention is the year that the new location
> was officially designated as capital, and does not mean that all
> government functions were transferred that year. In some cases
> they still haven't all been transferred! But that doesn't matter.
> All you have to tell us is what city was the *previous* capital,
> *before* the move.
>
> If the city name is multiple words, the full name (as commonly used)
> is of course required: for example, "Las Vegas", not "Vegas".
>
> 3. Nigeria. Since 1991 the capital has been Abuja. What was
> it before?
Lagos

> 4. Côte d'Ivoire ["COAT dee-VWAHR"], or the Ivory Coast.
> Since 1983, Yamoussoukro. What was it before?
>
> 5. Kazakhstan. Since 1997 the capital has been Astana (or Akmola,
> its previous name). The usual question: what was it before?
>
> 6. Pakistan. Since 1967, Islamabad.
Karachi

> 7. Tanzania. Since 1996, Dodoma.
Dar es Salaam

> 8. Turkey. Since 1923, Ankara.
Constantinople

> 9. Russia. Since 1918, Moscow.
Omsk

> 10. Brazil. Since 1960, Brasilia.
Rio de Janeiro

Dan Tilque

Oct 8, 2016, 3:49:15 AM10/8/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 2 - Science
>
> 1. What branch of medical science is this round about? One of
> its best-known practitioners was Wilder Penfield.
>
> After you have finished with question #1, please decode the rot13
> as far as the "=====" separator after question #10, *but no farther*.
>
> Gb or rknpg, gur ebhaq vf nobhg arhebfpvrapr -- *naq ol gur jnl,
> qbrf nalbar urer fzryy oheag gbnfg?*
>
> 2. Anzr gur Pnanqvna vafgvghgvba, qrqvpngrq gb pyvavpny naq erfrnepu
> arhebfpvrapr, sbhaqrq ol Jvyqre Crasvryq va 1934.
>
> 3. Crasvryq'f erfrnepu ohvyg ba n sbhaqngvba rfgnoyvfurq znal
> qrpnqrf rneyvre ol gjb 19gu-praghel fpvragvfgf. Ynetryl guebhtu
> gur fghql bs ynathntr shapgvba, gurl pbapyhqrq gung qvssrerag
> nernf bs gur oenva ner erfcbafvoyr sbe qvssrerag shapgvbaf
> -- naq rnpu bar abj unf bar bs gubfr nernf anzrq nsgre uvz.
> Anzr rvgure zna.

Broca

> 4. Oevgvfu arhebybtvfg Wbua Uhtuyvatf Wnpxfba vasreerq gur shapgvba
> bs gur zbgbe pbegrk ol bofreivat cngvragf jvgu jung qvfbeqre?
>
> 5. Qbcnzvar, rcvarcuevar, tyhgnzngr, frebgbava, naq gelcgnzvar
> ner nyy rknzcyrf bs jung glcr bs purzvpny?

neurotransmitters

> 6. Gur qrngu bs qbcnzvar-trarengvat pryyf va gur "fhofgnagvn avten"
> bs gur oenva erfhygf va flzcgbzf bs juvpu arheb-qrtrarengvir
> qvfrnfr?
>
> 7. Fbzr arhebaf vapyhqr n ybat cneg gung genafzvgf vzchyfrf njnl
> sebz gur pryy obql. Anzr vg.

axon

> 8. Byvire Fnpxf, jub qvrq va 2015, jnf bar bs gur sberzbfg
> genafzvggref bs arhebfpvragvsvp yber gb n cbchyne nhqvrapr.
> Bar bs uvf obbxf gbbx vgf gvgyr sebz gur fgbel bs n zhfvp
> cebsrffbe jub jnf tenqhnyyl ybfvat gur novyvgl gb ivfhnyyl
> vqragvsl pbzzba bowrpgf. Jung jnf gung gvgyr?

The Man who Mistook his Wife for a Hat

> 9. Fnpxf jnf vasyhraprq va uvf jevgvat ol juvpu tebhaqoernxvat
> Fbivrg culfvpvna naq cflpubybtvfg, nhgube bs "Gur Zna jvgu n
> Funggrerq Jbeyq", jubfr jbex urycrq gb rfgnoyvfu arhebcflpubybtl
> nf n qvfpvcyvar?
>
> 10. Urael Zbynvfba, jub qvrq va 2008 naq sbe zbfg bs uvf yvsr
> jnf xabja gb gur jvqre jbeyq bayl nf "U.Z.", vf creuncf
> gur zbfg snzbhf cngvrag naq erfrnepu fhowrpg va gur svryq
> bs arhebcflpubybtl, orpnhfr bs gur hahfhny naq qrinfgngvat
> qvfnovyvgl ur jnf yrsg jvgu, sbyybjvat fhetrel gb gerng frirer
> rcvyrcfl. Jung qvfnovyvgl?
>
> =====
> After completing the round, please decode this final piece of
> rot13: Vs lbh nafjrerq "nzarfvn" sbe gur ynfg dhrfgvba, tb onpx
> naq or zber fcrpvsvp.
>

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Historic Geography - Former Capitals
>
> For those of you who track rounds by category, note that there will
> be several "miscellaneous" rounds in this game, and to make room for
> that, we'll be doubling up on some other categories. This round is
> on former capital cities, and we're calling it "historic geography".
>
> 1. Between 1789 when the US adopted its constitution, and 1800
> when the capital was finally moved to Washington, the country's
> two largest cities each had a turn as capital. Name *both*
> of them.

New York and Philadelphia

> 2. When West Germany was created as a new country, nobody expected
> it to stay a separate country for long, so its capital was was
> chosen on a provisional basis -- and they deliberately avoided
> choosing an important city that might later attempt to remain
> the capital permanently. But in the end that provisional choice
> remained the capital for over 40 years until the reunification
> with East Germany finally took place. Name the city.

Bonn

> The remaining questions all refer to countries that have simply
> moved their capital to a different city, where it still is now.
> In some cases this was a newly created city, in others not.
> In each case the date we mention is the year that the new location
> was officially designated as capital, and does not mean that all
> government functions were transferred that year. In some cases
> they still haven't all been transferred! But that doesn't matter.
> All you have to tell us is what city was the *previous* capital,
> *before* the move.
>
> If the city name is multiple words, the full name (as commonly used)
> is of course required: for example, "Las Vegas", not "Vegas".
>
> 3. Nigeria. Since 1991 the capital has been Abuja. What was
> it before?

Lagos

> 4. Côte d'Ivoire ["COAT dee-VWAHR"], or the Ivory Coast.
> Since 1983, Yamoussoukro. What was it before?
>
> 5. Kazakhstan. Since 1997 the capital has been Astana (or Akmola,
> its previous name). The usual question: what was it before?

Almaty

> 6. Pakistan. Since 1967, Islamabad.
> 7. Tanzania. Since 1996, Dodoma.
> 8. Turkey. Since 1923, Ankara.

Constantinople

> 9. Russia. Since 1918, Moscow.

St Petersburg

> 10. Brazil. Since 1960, Brasilia.

Rio de Janiero

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Oct 9, 2016, 11:42:56 PM10/9/16
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-07-18,
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> I wrote one of these rounds.

The former capitals round was mine.

> * Game 9, Round 2 - Science

> 1. What branch of medical science is this round about? One of
> its best-known practitioners was Wilder Penfield.

Neurology, neuroscience, neurosurgery; anything similar, such as
"brain science", was acceptable.

> After you have finished with question #1, please decode the rot13
> as far as the "=====" separator after question #10, *but no farther*.

> To be exact, the round is about neuroscience -- *and by the way,
> does anyone here smell burnt toast?*

> 2. Name the Canadian institution, dedicated to clinical and research
> neuroscience, founded by Wilder Penfield in 1934.

Montreal Neurological Institute.

> 3. Penfield's research built on a foundation established many
> decades earlier by two 19th-century scientists. Largely through
> the study of language function, they concluded that different
> areas of the brain are responsible for different functions
> -- and each one now has one of those areas named after him.
> Name either man.

Paul Broca, Carl Wernicke ["VAIR-nick-uh"]. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

> 4. British neurologist John Hughlings Jackson inferred the function
> of the motor cortex by observing patients with what disorder?

Epilepsy. 4 for Pete and ye olde Marcusse. 2 for Dan Blum.

> 5. Dopamine, epinephrine, glutamate, serotonin, and tryptamine
> are all examples of what type of chemical?

Neurotransmitter. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Marc, and Dan Tilque.
3 for Erland.

> 6. The death of dopamine-generating cells in the "substantia nigra"
> of the brain results in symptoms of which neuro-degenerative
> disease?

Parkinson's disease (or Parkinsonism). 4 for Marc. 3 for Dan Blum.
2 for Peter and Pete.

> 7. Some neurons include a long part that transmits impulses away
> from the cell body. Name it.

Axon. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, and Dan Tilque.

> 8. Oliver Sacks, who died in 2015, was one of the foremost
> transmitters of neuroscientific lore to a popular audience.
> One of his books took its title from the story of a music
> professor who was gradually losing the ability to visually
> identify common objects. What was that title?

"The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat". The last 6 words were
sufficient. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Joshua, Marc, and Dan Tilque.

> 9. Sacks was influenced in his writing by which groundbreaking
> Soviet physician and psychologist, author of "The Man with a
> Shattered World", whose work helped to establish neuropsychology
> as a discipline?

Alexander Romanovich Luria. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 10. Henry Molaison, who died in 2008 and for most of his life
> was known to the wider world only as "H.M.", is perhaps
> the most famous patient and research subject in the field
> of neuropsychology, because of the unusual and devastating
> disability he was left with, following surgery to treat severe
> epilepsy. What disability?

Anterograde amnesia -- the inability to form new memories.
4 for Dan Blum and Marc.

> * Game 9, Round 3 - Historic Geography - Former Capitals

> For those of you who track rounds by category, note that there will
> be several "miscellaneous" rounds in this game, and to make room for
> that, we'll be doubling up on some other categories. This round is
> on former capital cities, and we're calling it "historic geography".

> 1. Between 1789 when the US adopted its constitution, and 1800
> when the capital was finally moved to Washington, the country's
> two largest cities each had a turn as capital. Name *both*
> of them.

New York, Philadelphia. 4 for Calvin, Peter, Bruce, Dan Blum,
Erland, Joshua, Pete, Jason, Marc, and Dan Tilque.

> 2. When West Germany was created as a new country, nobody expected
> it to stay a separate country for long, so its capital was was
> chosen on a provisional basis -- and they deliberately avoided
> choosing an important city that might later attempt to remain
> the capital permanently. But in the end that provisional choice
> remained the capital for over 40 years until the reunification
> with East Germany finally took place. Name the city.

Bonn. 4 for Calvin, Peter, Bruce, Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua, Pete,
Jason, Marc, and Dan Tilque.

> The remaining questions all refer to countries that have simply
> moved their capital to a different city, where it still is now.
> In some cases this was a newly created city, in others not.
> In each case the date we mention is the year that the new location
> was officially designated as capital, and does not mean that all
> government functions were transferred that year. In some cases
> they still haven't all been transferred! But that doesn't matter.
> All you have to tell us is what city was the *previous* capital,
> *before* the move.

> If the city name is multiple words, the full name (as commonly used)
> is of course required: for example, "Las Vegas", not "Vegas".

> 3. Nigeria. Since 1991 the capital has been Abuja. What was
> it before?

Lagos. 4 for Calvin, Peter, Bruce, Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua, Pete,
Marc, and Dan Tilque.

> 4. Côte d'Ivoire ["COAT dee-VWAHR"], or the Ivory Coast.
> Since 1983, Yamoussoukro. What was it before?

Abidjan. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua, and Pete.

> 5. Kazakhstan. Since 1997 the capital has been Astana (or Akmola,
> its previous name). The usual question: what was it before?

Almaty, formerly Alma-Ata (accepting either). 4 for Björn, Erland,
Joshua, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 6. Pakistan. Since 1967, Islamabad.

Rawalpindi. It was made the temporary capital in 1959 while the new
city of Islamabad was under construction next to it. At the time
I wrote the round I didn't realize this (I was under the impression
that Rawalpindi was an old name for Islamabad rather than a separate
city), and if I had known I would've worded the question to exclude
it. The expected answer, though, was Karachi, and I will generously
score that answer as almost correct. So, 3 for Peter, Dan Blum,
Erland, Pete, and Marc. 2 for Calvin.

> 7. Tanzania. Since 1996, Dodoma.

Dar es Salaam. 4 for Calvin, Peter, Dan Blum, Björn, Erland,
Joshua, and Marc.

> 8. Turkey. Since 1923, Ankara.

Istanbul, formerly Constantinople (and this time either one is
acceptable!). 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Björn, Erland, Joshua, Pete,
Jason, Marc, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Calvin.

> 9. Russia. Since 1918, Moscow.

St. Petersburg (also generously accepting its later names, Petrograd
and Leningrad). 4 for Calvin, Peter, Bruce, Dan Blum, Björn, Erland,
Joshua, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 10. Brazil. Since 1960, Brasilia.

Rio de Janeiro. 4 for Calvin, Bruce, Erland, Joshua, Pete, Marc,
and Dan Tilque. 2 for Peter and Dan Blum.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 9 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Sci His
Dan Blum 29 33 62
Marc Dashevsky 24 27 51
Dan Tilque 16 28 44
Joshua Kreitzer 8 36 44
Peter Smyth 10 33 43
Erland Sommarskog 3 39 42
Pete Gayde 6 35 41
"Calvin" 0 29 29
Bruce Bowler 0 20 20
Björn Lundin 0 16 16
Jason Kreitzer 0 12 12

--
Mark Brader | "The conversation never became heated, which would
Toronto | have been difficult in any argument where there
| remark and its answer." --Hal Clement, STAR LIGHT

Erland Sommarskog

Oct 10, 2016, 3:06:03 AM10/10/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
>> 9. Russia. Since 1918, Moscow.
>
> St. Petersburg (also generously accepting its later names, Petrograd
> and Leningrad). 4 for Calvin, Peter, Bruce, Dan Blum, Björn, Erland,
> Joshua, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

Generously and generously, it was named Petrograd when it lost its status
as capital. Whence I used that for my answer.

Dan Tilque

Oct 10, 2016, 3:32:36 AM10/10/16
Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
>>> 9. Russia. Since 1918, Moscow.
>> St. Petersburg (also generously accepting its later names, Petrograd
>> and Leningrad). 4 for Calvin, Peter, Bruce, Dan Blum, Björn, Erland,
>> Joshua, Pete, and Dan Tilque.
>
> Generously and generously, it was named Petrograd when it lost its status
> as capital. Whence I used that for my answer.

And the Turkish capital was named Constantinople when the capital was
moved. It didn't get changed to Istanbul until several years later.

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Oct 10, 2016, 5:32:41 PM10/10/16
Dan Tilque (dti...@frontier.com) writes:
> And the Turkish capital was named Constantinople when the capital was
> moved. It didn't get changed to Istanbul until several years later.

As I understand it, it was "renamed" a lot earlier. The local pronounciation
in Greek was Stamboul, but in Turkish you cannot start a word with s +
consonant. Whence the I.

I don't know what official Ottoman documents said back in those days, and
they might be difficult to read, since they used the Arabic script then.

Sankt Peterburg on the other hand was really renamed.

It is possible, though, that Almaty is an adaption of a pronounciation
which has developed by time. But Alma Ata, meaning apple father, certainly
is a Turkic name, and not Russian.

Mark Brader

Oct 10, 2016, 6:59:42 PM10/10/16
Dan Tilque:
> > And the Turkish capital was named Constantinople when the capital was
> > moved. It didn't get changed to Istanbul until several years later.

Erland Sommarskog:
> As I understand it, it was "renamed" a lot earlier. The local pronounciation
> in Greek was Stamboul, but in Turkish you cannot start a word with s +
> consonant. Whence the I.

That's what I thought. But it was a round about cities, not city names,
so the issue wasn't important.
--
Mark Brader "It is considered a sign of great {winnitude}
Toronto when your Obs are more interesting than other

Dan Tilque

Oct 10, 2016, 9:45:02 PM10/10/16
Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> Dan Tilque (dti...@frontier.com) writes:
>> And the Turkish capital was named Constantinople when the capital was
>> moved. It didn't get changed to Istanbul until several years later.
>>

> As I understand it, it was "renamed" a lot earlier. The local pronounciation
> in Greek was Stamboul, but in Turkish you cannot start a word with s +
> consonant. Whence the I.

Yes locally it was. It was in 1930 (I think) that the Turks made an
issue of the name for Westerners.

> Sankt Peterburg on the other hand was really renamed.

As I understand it, the locals in that city just call it Peter or
something close to that.

--
Dan Tilque

Gareth Owen

Oct 11, 2016, 1:30:01 PM10/11/16
Erland Sommarskog <esq...@sommarskog.se> writes:

> Dan Tilque (dti...@frontier.com) writes:
>> And the Turkish capital was named Constantinople when the capital was
>> moved. It didn't get changed to Istanbul until several years later.
>>

> As I understand it, it was "renamed" a lot earlier. The local pronounciation
> in Greek was Stamboul, but in Turkish you cannot start a word with s +
> consonant. Whence the I.

Well I'd heard that people just liked it better that way.

Erland Sommarskog

Oct 11, 2016, 4:09:29 PM10/11/16
Gareth Owen (gwo...@gmail.com) writes:
> Erland Sommarskog <esq...@sommarskog.se> writes:
>> As I understand it, it was "renamed" a lot earlier. The local
>> pronounciation in Greek was Stamboul, but in Turkish you cannot start a
>> word with s + consonant. Whence the I.
>
> Well I'd heard that people just liked it better that way.

Not sure what you are referring to here, but adding i before s+consonant
is common in Turkish. My own country is isveç, Switzerland is isviçre.
The city once known as Smyrna is now izmir. (I'm using lowercase i
here, since the uppercase one is not available in Latin-1.)

Gareth Owen

Oct 11, 2016, 4:32:54 PM10/11/16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arh0qTUasaE
http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/f/four_lads/istanbul_not_constantinople_lyrics.html