QFTCICR19 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: QE2, anthems

Mark Brader

Jan 27, 2019, 11:54:09 PM1/27/19
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-01-21,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Cellar Rats and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 1, Round 7 - History - Queen Elizabeth II

1. Where was then-Princess Elizabeth visiting when she was informed
of the death of her father, King George VI? Name the present-day
country.

2. At that time, who was Prime Minister of the UK?

3. Altogether, how many different prime ministers has the UK had
under Queen Elizabeth II? Answer within 1.

4. The Queen currently meets with her prime minister once a week
-- on which day?

5. What relationship was Alice of Battenberg to Queen Elizabeth II?

6. The Queen has made many official visits to various countries --
which country has had the most?

7. The movie "The Queen" depicts the week of Princess Diana's death
and the events leading to her funeral. Who played the Queen
in it?

8. In 1992 which of the royal residences suffered a devastating
fire?

9. During a state visit to the republic of Ireland, the Queen
delighted her hosts, including Irish president Mary McAleese,
by addressing them with a few words in the Irish language.
In what year was this?

10. What incident in 1982 linked Michael Fagan to the Queen?

* Game 1, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - National Anthems of the World

1. What well-known piece of classical music provides the anthem
of the European Union?

2. Who wrote the words to the US national anthem?

3. Which country's national anthem has four different lyrics,
one for each of its official languages?

4. Besides the UK, which European country uses the melody of
"God Save the Queen" for its national anthem?

5. With what city is the French national anthem associated?

6. What country has a national anthem known in English as "The
Soldier's Song"?

7. For whose national anthem did Calixa Lavallée compose the music?

8. What country has a national anthem called "La Brabançonne"?

9. The music for this revolutionary song was composed by Pierre
de Geyter in 1888. It was the official national anthem of the
Soviet Union until 1944. Give its title as used in English.

10. What do the national anthems of Spain, Bosnia & Herzegovina,
and San Marino have in common?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto Carpe pecuniam!
m...@vex.net --Roger L. Smith

Joshua Kreitzer

Jan 28, 2019, 12:55:48 AM1/28/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:h6SdnR8NAJF2F9PBnZ2dnUU7-
KHN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 1, Round 7 - History - Queen Elizabeth II
>
> 1. Where was then-Princess Elizabeth visiting when she was informed
> of the death of her father, King George VI? Name the present-day
> country.

Kenya

> 2. At that time, who was Prime Minister of the UK?

Churchill

> 3. Altogether, how many different prime ministers has the UK had
> under Queen Elizabeth II? Answer within 1.

12

> 4. The Queen currently meets with her prime minister once a week
> -- on which day?

Tuesday; Wednesday

> 5. What relationship was Alice of Battenberg to Queen Elizabeth II?

mother-in-law

> 6. The Queen has made many official visits to various countries --
> which country has had the most?

Canada

> 7. The movie "The Queen" depicts the week of Princess Diana's death
> and the events leading to her funeral. Who played the Queen
> in it?

Helen Mirren

> 8. In 1992 which of the royal residences suffered a devastating
> fire?

Windsor Castle

> 9. During a state visit to the republic of Ireland, the Queen
> delighted her hosts, including Irish president Mary McAleese,
> by addressing them with a few words in the Irish language.
> In what year was this?

1998

> 10. What incident in 1982 linked Michael Fagan to the Queen?

he broke into her apartments at Buckingham Palace (?)

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - National Anthems of the World
>
> 1. What well-known piece of classical music provides the anthem
> of the European Union?

Beethoven's 9th Symphony, 4th movement a/k/a "Ode to Joy" (that's one
answer, not two)

> 2. Who wrote the words to the US national anthem?

Francis Scott Key

> 3. Which country's national anthem has four different lyrics,
> one for each of its official languages?

Switzerland

> 4. Besides the UK, which European country uses the melody of
> "God Save the Queen" for its national anthem?

Malta

> 5. With what city is the French national anthem associated?

Marseille

> 8. What country has a national anthem called "La Brabançonne"?

Belgium

> 9. The music for this revolutionary song was composed by Pierre
> de Geyter in 1888. It was the official national anthem of the
> Soviet Union until 1944. Give its title as used in English.

"The Internationale"

> 10. What do the national anthems of Spain, Bosnia & Herzegovina,
> and San Marino have in common?

no lyrics

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Don Piven

Jan 28, 2019, 7:20:08 AM1/28/19
His barging into her bedroom.

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - National Anthems of the World
>
> 1. What well-known piece of classical music provides the anthem
> of the European Union?

Beethoven's Ninth Symphony.

> 2. Who wrote the words to the US national anthem?

Francis Scott Key.

> 3. Which country's national anthem has four different lyrics,
> one for each of its official languages?

Switzerland.

> 4. Besides the UK, which European country uses the melody of
> "God Save the Queen" for its national anthem?

Norway.

> 5. With what city is the French national anthem associated?

Marseille.

> 6. What country has a national anthem known in English as "The
> Soldier's Song"?

Ireland.

> 7. For whose national anthem did Calixa Lavallée compose the music?

> 8. What country has a national anthem called "La Brabançonne"?

Belgium.

> 9. The music for this revolutionary song was composed by Pierre
> de Geyter in 1888. It was the official national anthem of the
> Soviet Union until 1944. Give its title as used in English.

Internationale.

> 10. What do the national anthems of Spain, Bosnia & Herzegovina,
> and San Marino have in common?

No lyrics.

Dan Blum

Jan 28, 2019, 11:23:42 AM1/28/19
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 7 - History - Queen Elizabeth II

> 1. Where was then-Princess Elizabeth visiting when she was informed
> of the death of her father, King George VI? Name the present-day
> country.

Botswana; Swaziland

> 2. At that time, who was Prime Minister of the UK?

Atlee

9

> 4. The Queen currently meets with her prime minister once a week
> -- on which day?

Monday; Tuesday

> 5. What relationship was Alice of Battenberg to Queen Elizabeth II?

first cousin; second cousin

> 6. The Queen has made many official visits to various countries --
> which country has had the most?

Canada

> 8. In 1992 which of the royal residences suffered a devastating
> fire?

Windsor Castle

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - National Anthems of the World

> 2. Who wrote the words to the US national anthem?

Francis Scott Key

> 3. Which country's national anthem has four different lyrics,
> one for each of its official languages?

Switzerland

> 5. With what city is the French national anthem associated?

Marseilles

> 7. For whose national anthem did Calixa Lavall?e compose the music?

Portugal

> 8. What country has a national anthem called "La Braban?onne"?

Andorra; Spain

> 10. What do the national anthems of Spain, Bosnia & Herzegovina,
> and San Marino have in common?

they have no lyrics

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Pete Gayde

Jan 28, 2019, 7:51:31 PM1/28/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:h6SdnR8NAJF2F9PBnZ2dnUU7-
KHN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-01-21,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Cellar Rats and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1, Round 7 - History - Queen Elizabeth II
>
> 1. Where was then-Princess Elizabeth visiting when she was informed
> of the death of her father, King George VI? Name the present-day
> country.

South Africa; Tanzania

> 2. At that time, who was Prime Minister of the UK?

Eden; Churchill

> 3. Altogether, how many different prime ministers has the UK had
> under Queen Elizabeth II? Answer within 1.

14; 17

> 4. The Queen currently meets with her prime minister once a week
> -- on which day?

Tuesday; Wednesday

> 5. What relationship was Alice of Battenberg to Queen Elizabeth II?

Cousin

> 6. The Queen has made many official visits to various countries --
> which country has had the most?

Canada; South Africa

> 7. The movie "The Queen" depicts the week of Princess Diana's death
> and the events leading to her funeral. Who played the Queen
> in it?

Mirren

> 8. In 1992 which of the royal residences suffered a devastating
> fire?

Windsor Castle

> 9. During a state visit to the republic of Ireland, the Queen
> delighted her hosts, including Irish president Mary McAleese,
> by addressing them with a few words in the Irish language.
> In what year was this?

1995; 1996

> 10. What incident in 1982 linked Michael Fagan to the Queen?
>

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - National Anthems of the World
>
> 1. What well-known piece of classical music provides the anthem
> of the European Union?

Beethoven's Ninth Symphony

> 2. Who wrote the words to the US national anthem?

Francis Scott Key

> 3. Which country's national anthem has four different lyrics,
> one for each of its official languages?

Switzerland

> 4. Besides the UK, which European country uses the melody of
> "God Save the Queen" for its national anthem?

Australia; South Africa

> 5. With what city is the French national anthem associated?

Marseille

> 6. What country has a national anthem known in English as "The
> Soldier's Song"?
>
> 7. For whose national anthem did Calixa Lavallée compose the music?

Canada; Belgium

> 8. What country has a national anthem called "La Brabançonne"?

Belgium; Netherlands

> 9. The music for this revolutionary song was composed by Pierre
> de Geyter in 1888. It was the official national anthem of the
> Soviet Union until 1944. Give its title as used in English.
>
> 10. What do the national anthems of Spain, Bosnia & Herzegovina,
> and San Marino have in common?

No words

Pete Gayde

Dan Tilque

Jan 29, 2019, 11:33:03 AM1/29/19
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 7 - History - Queen Elizabeth II
>
> 1. Where was then-Princess Elizabeth visiting when she was informed
> of the death of her father, King George VI? Name the present-day
> country.

in a treehouse. OK, the treehouse was in Kenya

> 2. At that time, who was Prime Minister of the UK?
>
> 3. Altogether, how many different prime ministers has the UK had
> under Queen Elizabeth II? Answer within 1.

16

> 4. The Queen currently meets with her prime minister once a week
> -- on which day?
>
> 5. What relationship was Alice of Battenberg to Queen Elizabeth II?

sister-in-law

> 6. The Queen has made many official visits to various countries --
> which country has had the most?

Canada

> 7. The movie "The Queen" depicts the week of Princess Diana's death
> and the events leading to her funeral. Who played the Queen
> in it?
>
> 8. In 1992 which of the royal residences suffered a devastating
> fire?
>
> 9. During a state visit to the republic of Ireland, the Queen
> delighted her hosts, including Irish president Mary McAleese,
> by addressing them with a few words in the Irish language.
> In what year was this?
>
> 10. What incident in 1982 linked Michael Fagan to the Queen?
>

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - National Anthems of the World
>
> 1. What well-known piece of classical music provides the anthem
> of the European Union?

Beethoven's Nineth Symphony

> 2. Who wrote the words to the US national anthem?

Francis Scott Key

> 3. Which country's national anthem has four different lyrics,
> one for each of its official languages?

Switzerland

> 4. Besides the UK, which European country uses the melody of
> "God Save the Queen" for its national anthem?

Malta

> 5. With what city is the French national anthem associated?

Marseilles

> 6. What country has a national anthem known in English as "The
> Soldier's Song"?
>
> 7. For whose national anthem did Calixa Lavallée compose the music?

Albania

> 8. What country has a national anthem called "La Brabançonne"?

Belgium

> 9. The music for this revolutionary song was composed by Pierre
> de Geyter in 1888. It was the official national anthem of the
> Soviet Union until 1944. Give its title as used in English.
>
> 10. What do the national anthems of Spain, Bosnia & Herzegovina,
> and San Marino have in common?

I have no idea what they are (hey, it's a true answer, I don't know what
they are)

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 29, 2019, 5:39:05 PM1/29/19
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 1. Where was then-Princess Elizabeth visiting when she was informed
> of the death of her father, King George VI? Name the present-day
> country.

Pakistan

> 2. At that time, who was Prime Minister of the UK?

Eden

> 3. Altogether, how many different prime ministers has the UK had
> under Queen Elizabeth II? Answer within 1.

12

> 4. The Queen currently meets with her prime minister once a week
> -- on which day?

Monday

> 6. The Queen has made many official visits to various countries --
> which country has had the most?

India

> 9. During a state visit to the republic of Ireland, the Queen
> delighted her hosts, including Irish president Mary McAleese,
> by addressing them with a few words in the Irish language.
> In what year was this?

2008

> 10. What incident in 1982 linked Michael Fagan to the Queen?

He tried to break into to here sleeping chamber

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - National Anthems of the World
>
> 1. What well-known piece of classical music provides the anthem
> of the European Union?

Beethonve's 9th, 4th movement

> 2. Who wrote the words to the US national anthem?

Thomas Jefferson

> 3. Which country's national anthem has four different lyrics,
> one for each of its official languages?

Swtizerland

> 4. Besides the UK, which European country uses the melody of
> "God Save the Queen" for its national anthem?

Ireland

> 5. With what city is the French national anthem associated?

Marseilles

> 6. What country has a national anthem known in English as "The
> Soldier's Song"?

Nehterlands

> 7. For whose national anthem did Calixa Lavallée compose the music?

Belgium

> 8. What country has a national anthem called "La Brabançonne"?

Belgium

> 9. The music for this revolutionary song was composed by Pierre
> de Geyter in 1888. It was the official national anthem of the
> Soviet Union until 1944. Give its title as used in English.

Lenin hymn

> 10. What do the national anthems of Spain, Bosnia & Herzegovina,
> and San Marino have in common?

No words

Calvin

Jan 29, 2019, 8:03:14 PM1/29/19
On Monday, January 28, 2019 at 2:54:09 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 7 - History - Queen Elizabeth II
>
> 1. Where was then-Princess Elizabeth visiting when she was informed
> of the death of her father, King George VI? Name the present-day
> country.

Kenya

> 2. At that time, who was Prime Minister of the UK?

Churchill

> 3. Altogether, how many different prime ministers has the UK had
> under Queen Elizabeth II? Answer within 1.

13, 16

> 4. The Queen currently meets with her prime minister once a week
> -- on which day?

Tuesday, Wednesday

> 5. What relationship was Alice of Battenberg to Queen Elizabeth II?

Mother in law

> 6. The Queen has made many official visits to various countries --
> which country has had the most?

Canada, France

> 7. The movie "The Queen" depicts the week of Princess Diana's death
> and the events leading to her funeral. Who played the Queen
> in it?

Helen Mirren

> 8. In 1992 which of the royal residences suffered a devastating
> fire?

Windsor Palace

> 9. During a state visit to the republic of Ireland, the Queen
> delighted her hosts, including Irish president Mary McAleese,
> by addressing them with a few words in the Irish language.
> In what year was this?

Gaelic

> 10. What incident in 1982 linked Michael Fagan to the Queen?

He entered her bedroom

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - National Anthems of the World
>
> 1. What well-known piece of classical music provides the anthem
> of the European Union?

The Ode to Joy from Beethoven's Ninth Symphony

> 2. Who wrote the words to the US national anthem?

Key

> 3. Which country's national anthem has four different lyrics,
> one for each of its official languages?

Singapore, South Africa

> 4. Besides the UK, which European country uses the melody of
> "God Save the Queen" for its national anthem?

Malta, Cyprus

> 5. With what city is the French national anthem associated?

Marseilles

> 6. What country has a national anthem known in English as "The
> Soldier's Song"?

Republic of Ireland

> 7. For whose national anthem did Calixa Lavallée compose the music?

Mexico, Argentina

> 8. What country has a national anthem called "La Brabançonne"?

Belgium, Switzerland

> 9. The music for this revolutionary song was composed by Pierre
> de Geyter in 1888. It was the official national anthem of the
> Soviet Union until 1944. Give its title as used in English.
>
> 10. What do the national anthems of Spain, Bosnia & Herzegovina,
> and San Marino have in common?

They have no words.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Jan 31, 2019, 1:43:23 AM1/31/19
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-01-21,
> see my 2019-01-22 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 1, Round 7 - History - Queen Elizabeth II

> 1. Where was then-Princess Elizabeth visiting when she was informed
> of the death of her father, King George VI? Name the present-day
> country.

Kenya. (Then a colony of the same name.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque,
and Calvin.

> 2. At that time, who was Prime Minister of the UK?

Winston Churchill. 4 for Joshua and Calvin. 2 for Pete.

> 3. Altogether, how many different prime ministers has the UK had
> under Queen Elizabeth II? Answer within 1.

13 (accepting 12-14). 4 for Joshua and Erland. 3 for Pete
and Calvin.

That's Churchill, Eden, Macmillan, Douglas-Home, Wilson, Heath,
Wilson again (not a different person), Callaghan, Thatcher, Major,
Blair, Brown, Cameron, and May. And now, a subsidiary question.
(Answer for fun but no points, if you like, and I'll reveal the
answer at the same time as the answers to Rounds 9-10.)

3A. If Wikipedia is correct (I can't find any reliable sources
for this), then how many different prime ministers have
served under Queen Elizabeth II -- in *all* of the independent
countries that she's been queen of, rather than only the UK?

> 4. The Queen currently meets with her prime minister once a week
> -- on which day?

Tuesday. 3 for Joshua, Pete, and Calvin. 2 for Dan Blum.

> 5. What relationship was Alice of Battenberg to Queen Elizabeth II?

Mother-in-law. 4 for Joshua and Calvin.

> 6. The Queen has made many official visits to various countries --
> which country has had the most?

Canada. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Pete
and Calvin.

> 7. The movie "The Queen" depicts the week of Princess Diana's death
> and the events leading to her funeral. Who played the Queen
> in it?

Helen Mirren. 4 for Joshua, Pete, and Calvin.

> 8. In 1992 which of the royal residences suffered a devastating
> fire?

Windsor Castle. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete. 3 for Calvin.

> 9. During a state visit to the republic of Ireland, the Queen
> delighted her hosts, including Irish president Mary McAleese,
> by addressing them with a few words in the Irish language.
> In what year was this?

2011.

> 10. What incident in 1982 linked Michael Fagan to the Queen?

He broke into Buckingham Palace and entered the bedroom where she
was sleeping. 4 for Joshua, Don, Erland, and Calvin.

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - National Anthems of the World

> 1. What well-known piece of classical music provides the anthem
> of the European Union?

The "Ode to Joy" from Beethoven's 9th symphony. Either part of the
description was sufficient. 4 for Joshua, Don, Pete, Dan Tilque,
Erland, and Calvin.

> 2. Who wrote the words to the US national anthem?

Francis Scott Key. 4 for Joshua, Don, Dan Blum, Pete, Dan Tilque,
and Calvin.

> 3. Which country's national anthem has four different lyrics,
> one for each of its official languages?

Switzerland. 4 for Joshua, Don, Dan Blum, Pete, Dan Tilque,
and Erland.

Singapore was a good guess -- it also has four official languages --
but their national anthem is in Malay. Translations of the lyrics
into the other languages exist, of course, but are not to be sung.
See:

http://www.nhb.gov.sg/what-we-do/our-work/community-engagement/education/resources/national-symbols/national-anthem

> 4. Besides the UK, which European country uses the melody of
> "God Save the Queen" for its national anthem?

Liechtenstein.

Yes, that's two Liechtenstein questions in one game.

> 5. With what city is the French national anthem associated?

Marseille. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Don, Dan Blum, Pete, Dan Tilque,
Erland, and Calvin.

> 6. What country has a national anthem known in English as "The
> Soldier's Song"?

Ireland. 4 for Don and Calvin.

> 7. For whose national anthem did Calixa Lavallée compose the music?

Canada. 3 for Pete.

> 8. What country has a national anthem called "La Brabançonne"?

Belgium. 4 for Joshua, Don, Dan Tilque, and Erland. 3 for Pete
and Calvin.

> 9. The music for this revolutionary song was composed by Pierre
> de Geyter in 1888. It was the official national anthem of the
> Soviet Union until 1944. Give its title as used in English.

"The Internationale". 4 for Joshua and Don.

> 10. What do the national anthems of Spain, Bosnia & Herzegovina,
> and San Marino have in common?

There are no lyrics. 4 for Joshua, Don, Dan Blum, Pete, Erland,
and Calvin. Chuckle points to Dan Tilque.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 1 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Ent Sci Spo Geo His Mis FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 40 24 6 40 35 28 143
Don Piven 20 40 0 32 4 32 124
Dan Tilque 4 36 8 40 8 20 104
Erland Sommarskog 24 8 4 40 8 20 92
Dan Blum 12 23 6 33 10 16 84
Pete Gayde -- -- 11 26 19 26 82
"Calvin" 8 18 -- -- 32 23 81
Bruce Bowler 0 27 -- -- -- -- 27

--
Mark Brader | "Any philosophy that can be put 'in a nutshell'
Toronto | belongs there."

Mark Brader

Feb 4, 2019, 4:19:45 AM2/4/19
Mark Brader:
> > 3. Altogether, how many different prime ministers has the UK had
> > under Queen Elizabeth II? Answer within 1.
>
> 13 (accepting 12-14). 4 for Joshua and Erland. 3 for Pete
> and Calvin.
>
> That's Churchill, Eden, Macmillan, Douglas-Home, Wilson, Heath,
> Wilson again (not a different person), Callaghan, Thatcher, Major,
> Blair, Brown, Cameron, and May. And now, a subsidiary question.
> (Answer for fun but no points, if you like, and I'll reveal the
> answer at the same time as the answers to Rounds 9-10.)
>
> 3A. If Wikipedia is correct (I can't find any reliable sources
> for this), then how many different prime ministers have
> served under Queen Elizabeth II -- in *all* of the independent
> countries that she's been queen of, rather than only the UK?

I was surprised that nobody thought it would be fun to estimate
this. The answer is at least 169.

There have been 138 PMs in the countries that she's now queen of --
the 16 Commonwealth realms -- including 16 in New Zealand, 15 in
Australia, and 12 each in Canada, the Solomon Is., and Tuvalu,
and so on down to as few as 3 in St. Kitts & Nevis, where two of
them have each had over 19 years in power.

Then there are another 16 countries that became independent while
she was Queen and *later* abolished that status for her, contributing
31 more PMs: 6 in Ceylon (as it then was), 3 each in Pakistan, Sierra
Leone, and South Africa; and 1 or 2 each in Fiji, Gambia, Ghana,
Guyana, Kenya, Malawi, Malta, Mauritius, Nigeria, Tanganyika,
Trinidad & Tobago, and Uganda.

There was also a later period in Fiji when they decided to declare
that Elizabeth II would be "supreme tribal chief", since when they
have had at least another 5 PMs, but apparently it is not usually
considered that this ever made her Queen again.

The other questionable case is Rhodesia. As a British colony in
1965 it was ruled only by white people, and they declared it an
independent country *with themselves in charge*. This did not sit
well with the British, who wanted their colonial period to end with
the installation of non-racist governments. (South Africa was already
available as an example they did not want to repeat.) So Rhodesia
found itself an unrecognized country, though de facto independent.
They continued to recognize Elizabeth II as their Queen for a few
years, although nobody else did. So if you do count that, then
Rhodesia adds one more PM to the list.

--
Mark Brader | "The remedy for speech that is false is speech that is true.
Toronto | This is the ordinary course in a free society."