QFTCIUA Current Events 1-2

Mark Brader

Sep 23, 2014, 2:23:06 AM9/23/14

This set of current-events rounds is running concurrently with
Game 1, Rounds 7-8 and later Rounds 9-10 of the same season.

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
give the answers that were correct on those dates.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe, and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

* Game 1 (2014-09-15), Round 1 - Current Events

1. Football player Ray Rice was suspended indefinitely by the NFL
after video surfaced of him hitting his then fiancee, now wife.
Give her first name or her last name then.

2. Name the NFL commissioner who initially suspended Rice for
just 2 games.

3. The mayor is threatening to sue the city government and news
media for allegations about bad behavior. The mayor of Brampton,
that is. Name her.

4. Jim Prentice is the new Premier of Alberta. Name the disgraced
premier he is replacing.

5. Name the Ford nephew who is stepping aside from his candidacy
for city council so Rob Ford can try to reclaim his old city
council seat.

6. When will the Scots vote to stay in or leave the UK?

7. Runner Oscar Pistorius was acquitted of his girlfriend's murder.
Name her.

8. Former boxer Mike Tyson gave a profanity-laced interview on
CP24 after being asked about rape conviction and bad behavior.
Name either the rape victim or his wife, who accused him of
hitting her.

9. The Pakistani army arrested 10 men suspected of involvement in
the 2012 attack on a teenage female activist. Give her first
or last name.

10. President Obama this week declared war on ISIS -- the Islamic
State of Iraq and Syria. Name either of the American journalists
whose murder was recently depicted in videos posted by ISIS.

* Game 2 (2014-09-22), Round 2 - Current Events

1. Name the steelmaker based in Hamilton, Ontario, formerly known
as Stelco, that filed for bankruptcy protection.

2. Name the form of cancer Rob Ford has been diagnosed with.

3. In Scotland's independence referendum, give the percentage that
voted no, to the nearest whole percent.

4. Name the First Minister of Scotland who announced his resignation
in the wake of the referendum result.

5. In Major League Baseball, what team clinched the AL East
Division?

6. Scotiabank's Giller Prize upped its purse to become one of the
richest literary awards in the English language -- how much
cash does the winner get?

7. Name the Chinese e-commerce giant that just gained a listing
on the New York Stock Exchange.

8. The Toronto Maple Leafs opened their training camp with a
controversy: new assistant coach Steve Spott reportedly
clashed with a star player over his refusal to take direction.
Name the star.

9. Federal NDP leader Tom Mulcair unveiled a main plank for next
year's national election: what is his proposed federal minimum
hourly wage?

10. Dubbed Canadian "rock royalty", these married musicians are
reportedly splitting. Either name *both* spouses, or give the
couple-nickname they've been given.

After completing the round, please decode the rot13:
Ba gur fgrryznxre dhrfgvba, jr arrq gur fcrpvsvp pbzcnal, abg
gurve cnerag. Tb onpx naq nqq bar be zber jbeqf vs arprffnel gb
or fcrpvsvp.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Defendant's speech ends in long sentence"
m...@vex.net | --Minneapolis Tribune, February 25, 1981

Marc Dashevsky

Sep 23, 2014, 7:28:16 AM9/23/14
In article <JIidnScd9ZxXjLzJ...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 1 (2014-09-15), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Football player Ray Rice was suspended indefinitely by the NFL
> after video surfaced of him hitting his then fiancee, now wife.
> Give her first name or her last name then.
>
> 2. Name the NFL commissioner who initially suspended Rice for
> just 2 games.
Goodell

> 3. The mayor is threatening to sue the city government and news
> media for allegations about bad behavior. The mayor of Brampton,
> that is. Name her.
>
> 4. Jim Prentice is the new Premier of Alberta. Name the disgraced
> premier he is replacing.
>
> 5. Name the Ford nephew who is stepping aside from his candidacy
> for city council so Rob Ford can try to reclaim his old city
> council seat.
>
> 6. When will the Scots vote to stay in or leave the UK?
last Thursday

> 7. Runner Oscar Pistorius was acquitted of his girlfriend's murder.
> Name her.
>
> 8. Former boxer Mike Tyson gave a profanity-laced interview on
> CP24 after being asked about rape conviction and bad behavior.
> Name either the rape victim or his wife, who accused him of
> hitting her.
>
> 9. The Pakistani army arrested 10 men suspected of involvement in
> the 2012 attack on a teenage female activist. Give her first
> or last name.
Malala

> 10. President Obama this week declared war on ISIS -- the Islamic
> State of Iraq and Syria. Name either of the American journalists
> whose murder was recently depicted in videos posted by ISIS.
Sotloff

> * Game 2 (2014-09-22), Round 2 - Current Events
>
> 1. Name the steelmaker based in Hamilton, Ontario, formerly known
> as Stelco, that filed for bankruptcy protection.
>
> 2. Name the form of cancer Rob Ford has been diagnosed with.
>
> 3. In Scotland's independence referendum, give the percentage that
> voted no, to the nearest whole percent.
54

> 4. Name the First Minister of Scotland who announced his resignation
> in the wake of the referendum result.
>
> 5. In Major League Baseball, what team clinched the AL East
> Division?
Orioles

> 6. Scotiabank's Giller Prize upped its purse to become one of the
> richest literary awards in the English language -- how much
> cash does the winner get?
>
> 7. Name the Chinese e-commerce giant that just gained a listing
> on the New York Stock Exchange.
Ali Baba

Rob Parker

Sep 23, 2014, 9:54:05 AM9/23/14
> * Game 1 (2014-09-15), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Football player Ray Rice was suspended indefinitely by the NFL
> after video surfaced of him hitting his then fiancee, now wife.
> Give her first name or her last name then.

Rice; Charlene

> 2. Name the NFL commissioner who initially suspended Rice for
> just 2 games.

Johnson; Smith

> 3. The mayor is threatening to sue the city government and news
> media for allegations about bad behavior. The mayor of Brampton,
> that is. Name her.

Smith; Johnson

> 4. Jim Prentice is the new Premier of Alberta. Name the disgraced
> premier he is replacing.

Johnson; Rice

> 5. Name the Ford nephew who is stepping aside from his candidacy
> for city council so Rob Ford can try to reclaim his old city
> council seat.

Ford; Henry

> 6. When will the Scots vote to stay in or leave the UK?

> 7. Runner Oscar Pistorius was acquitted of his girlfriend's murder.
> Name her.

Reeva Steenkamp

> 8. Former boxer Mike Tyson gave a profanity-laced interview on
> CP24 after being asked about rape conviction and bad behavior.
> Name either the rape victim or his wife, who accused him of
> hitting her.

Michelle

> 9. The Pakistani army arrested 10 men suspected of involvement in
> the 2012 attack on a teenage female activist. Give her first
> or last name.

Malala

> 10. President Obama this week declared war on ISIS -- the Islamic
> State of Iraq and Syria. Name either of the American journalists
> whose murder was recently depicted in videos posted by ISIS.

James Foley

> * Game 2 (2014-09-22), Round 2 - Current Events
>
> 2. Name the form of cancer Rob Ford has been diagnosed with.

prostate; brain

> 3. In Scotland's independence referendum, give the percentage that
> voted no, to the nearest whole percent.

55%

> 6. Scotiabank's Giller Prize upped its purse to become one of the
> richest literary awards in the English language -- how much
> cash does the winner get?

$200,000; $100,000

> 9. Federal NDP leader Tom Mulcair unveiled a main plank for next
> year's national election: what is his proposed federal minimum
> hourly wage?

$14.50; $15.50

Rob

Mark Brader

Sep 23, 2014, 11:07:07 AM9/23/14
Mark Brader:
> > ...what is his proposed federal minimum hourly wage?

Rob Parker:
> $14.50; $15.50

Nicely bracketed. :-)
--
Mark Brader "Those who do not study history
Toronto are condemned to repeat the course"

Dan Blum

Sep 23, 2014, 11:14:51 AM9/23/14
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 1 (2014-09-15), Round 1 - Current Events

> 2. Name the NFL commissioner who initially suspended Rice for
> just 2 games.

Goodell

> 6. When will the Scots vote to stay in or leave the UK?

September 19th

> 7. Runner Oscar Pistorius was acquitted of his girlfriend's murder.
> Name her.

Steenkamp

> * Game 2 (2014-09-22), Round 2 - Current Events

> 2. Name the form of cancer Rob Ford has been diagnosed with.

lymphosarcoma

> 3. In Scotland's independence referendum, give the percentage that
> voted no, to the nearest whole percent.

55; 54

> 4. Name the First Minister of Scotland who announced his resignation
> in the wake of the referendum result.

Salmond

> 6. Scotiabank's Giller Prize upped its purse to become one of the
> richest literary awards in the English language -- how much
> cash does the winner get?

one million pounds

> 7. Name the Chinese e-commerce giant that just gained a listing
> on the New York Stock Exchange.

Alibaba

> 9. Federal NDP leader Tom Mulcair unveiled a main plank for next
> year's national election: what is his proposed federal minimum
> hourly wage?

$13; $15

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Peter Smyth

Sep 23, 2014, 1:32:47 PM9/23/14
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1 (2014-09-15), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Football player Ray Rice was suspended indefinitely by the NFL
> after video surfaced of him hitting his then fiancee, now wife.
> Give her first name or her last name then.
>
> 2. Name the NFL commissioner who initially suspended Rice for
> just 2 games.
>
> 3. The mayor is threatening to sue the city government and news
> media for allegations about bad behavior. The mayor of Brampton,
> that is. Name her.
Roberta Ford
> 4. Jim Prentice is the new Premier of Alberta. Name the disgraced
> premier he is replacing.
>
> 5. Name the Ford nephew who is stepping aside from his candidacy
> for city council so Rob Ford can try to reclaim his old city
> council seat.
Doug (I thought he was his brother though)
> 6. When will the Scots vote to stay in or leave the UK?
last Thursday (18th)
> 7. Runner Oscar Pistorius was acquitted of his girlfriend's murder.
> Name her.
Reena Stevenkamp
> 8. Former boxer Mike Tyson gave a profanity-laced interview on
> CP24 after being asked about rape conviction and bad behavior.
> Name either the rape victim or his wife, who accused him of
> hitting her.
Robin Givens
> 9. The Pakistani army arrested 10 men suspected of involvement in
> the 2012 attack on a teenage female activist. Give her first
> or last name.
>
> 10. President Obama this week declared war on ISIS -- the Islamic
> State of Iraq and Syria. Name either of the American journalists
> whose murder was recently depicted in videos posted by ISIS.
Foley

> * Game 2 (2014-09-22), Round 2 - Current Events
>
> 1. Name the steelmaker based in Hamilton, Ontario, formerly known
> as Stelco, that filed for bankruptcy protection.
>
> 2. Name the form of cancer Rob Ford has been diagnosed with.
Stomach
> 3. In Scotland's independence referendum, give the percentage that
> voted no, to the nearest whole percent.
55%
> 4. Name the First Minister of Scotland who announced his resignation
> in the wake of the referendum result.
Alex Salmond
> 5. In Major League Baseball, what team clinched the AL East
> Division?
Red Sox, Mets
> 6. Scotiabank's Giller Prize upped its purse to become one of the
> richest literary awards in the English language -- how much
> cash does the winner get?
$500000
> 7. Name the Chinese e-commerce giant that just gained a listing
> on the New York Stock Exchange.
Ali Baba
> 8. The Toronto Maple Leafs opened their training camp with a
> controversy: new assistant coach Steve Spott reportedly
> clashed with a star player over his refusal to take direction.
> Name the star.
>
> 9. Federal NDP leader Tom Mulcair unveiled a main plank for next
> year's national election: what is his proposed federal minimum
> hourly wage?
$12, $13
> 10. Dubbed Canadian "rock royalty", these married musicians are
> reportedly splitting. Either name both spouses, or give the
> couple-nickname they've been given.
>
> After completing the round, please decode the rot13:
> On the steelmaker question, we need the specific company, not
> their parent. Go back and add one or more words if necessary to
> be specific.

Peter Smyth

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 23, 2014, 4:07:02 PM9/23/14
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 1. Football player Ray Rice was suspended indefinitely by the NFL
> after video surfaced of him hitting his then fiancee, now wife.
> Give her first name or her last name then.

I did read something about this. Alicia?

> 6. When will the Scots vote to stay in or leave the UK?

2014-09-18

> 7. Runner Oscar Pistorius was acquitted of his girlfriend's murder.
> Name her.

Rebecca Strelkamp

> 9. The Pakistani army arrested 10 men suspected of involvement in
> the 2012 attack on a teenage female activist. Give her first
> or last name.

Yousufazai

> 10. President Obama this week declared war on ISIS -- the Islamic
> State of Iraq and Syria. Name either of the American journalists
> whose murder was recently depicted in videos posted by ISIS.

Robert Blake

> * Game 2 (2014-09-22), Round 2 - Current Events
>
> 1. Name the steelmaker based in Hamilton, Ontario, formerly known
> as Stelco, that filed for bankruptcy protection.
>
> 2. Name the form of cancer Rob Ford has been diagnosed with.

Stomach?

> 3. In Scotland's independence referendum, give the percentage that
> voted no, to the nearest whole percent.

56

> 4. Name the First Minister of Scotland who announced his resignation
> in the wake of the referendum result.

Alex Salmond

> 7. Name the Chinese e-commerce giant that just gained a listing
> on the New York Stock Exchange.

Alibaba

Jeffrey Turner

Sep 23, 2014, 10:16:03 PM9/23/14
On 9/23/2014 2:23 AM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1 (2014-09-15), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Football player Ray Rice was suspended indefinitely by the NFL
> after video surfaced of him hitting his then fiancee, now wife.
> Give her first name or her last name then.
>
> 2. Name the NFL commissioner who initially suspended Rice for
> just 2 games.

Gannet

> 3. The mayor is threatening to sue the city government and news
> media for allegations about bad behavior. The mayor of Brampton,
> that is. Name her.
>
> 4. Jim Prentice is the new Premier of Alberta. Name the disgraced
> premier he is replacing.
>
> 5. Name the Ford nephew who is stepping aside from his candidacy
> for city council so Rob Ford can try to reclaim his old city
> council seat.
>
> 6. When will the Scots vote to stay in or leave the UK?

9/18

> 7. Runner Oscar Pistorius was acquitted of his girlfriend's murder.
> Name her.
>
> 8. Former boxer Mike Tyson gave a profanity-laced interview on
> CP24 after being asked about rape conviction and bad behavior.
> Name either the rape victim or his wife, who accused him of
> hitting her.
>
> 9. The Pakistani army arrested 10 men suspected of involvement in
> the 2012 attack on a teenage female activist. Give her first
> or last name.

Malalai

> 10. President Obama this week declared war on ISIS -- the Islamic
> State of Iraq and Syria. Name either of the American journalists
> whose murder was recently depicted in videos posted by ISIS.

Foley

> * Game 2 (2014-09-22), Round 2 - Current Events
>
> 1. Name the steelmaker based in Hamilton, Ontario, formerly known
> as Stelco, that filed for bankruptcy protection.
>
> 2. Name the form of cancer Rob Ford has been diagnosed with.
>
> 3. In Scotland's independence referendum, give the percentage that
> voted no, to the nearest whole percent.

54

> 4. Name the First Minister of Scotland who announced his resignation
> in the wake of the referendum result.
>
> 5. In Major League Baseball, what team clinched the AL East
> Division?

Baltimore

> 6. Scotiabank's Giller Prize upped its purse to become one of the
> richest literary awards in the English language -- how much
> cash does the winner get?
>
> 7. Name the Chinese e-commerce giant that just gained a listing
> on the New York Stock Exchange.
>
> 8. The Toronto Maple Leafs opened their training camp with a
> controversy: new assistant coach Steve Spott reportedly
> clashed with a star player over his refusal to take direction.
> Name the star.
>
> 9. Federal NDP leader Tom Mulcair unveiled a main plank for next
> year's national election: what is his proposed federal minimum
> hourly wage?
>
> 10. Dubbed Canadian "rock royalty", these married musicians are
> reportedly splitting. Either name *both* spouses, or give the
> couple-nickname they've been given.
>
> After completing the round, please decode the rot13:
> Ba gur fgrryznxre dhrfgvba, jr arrq gur fcrpvsvp pbzcnal, abg
> gurve cnerag. Tb onpx naq nqq bar be zber jbeqf vs arprffnel gb
> or fcrpvsvp.

--Jeff

Jason Kreitzer

Sep 23, 2014, 10:20:37 PM9/23/14
On Tuesday, September 23, 2014 2:23:06 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> This set of current-events rounds is running concurrently with
>
> Game 1, Rounds 7-8 and later Rounds 9-10 of the same season.
>

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
>
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
>
> answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
>
> give the answers that were correct on those dates.

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,

> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>

> All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe, and are
>
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
>
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
>
> my companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
>
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1 (2014-09-15), Round 1 - Current Events
>

> 1. Football player Ray Rice was suspended indefinitely by the NFL
>
> after video surfaced of him hitting his then fiancee, now wife.
>
> Give her first name or her last name then.
>

> 2. Name the NFL commissioner who initially suspended Rice for
>
> just 2 games.
Roger Goodell

> 3. The mayor is threatening to sue the city government and news
>
> media for allegations about bad behavior. The mayor of Brampton,
>
> that is. Name her.
>

> 4. Jim Prentice is the new Premier of Alberta. Name the disgraced
>
> premier he is replacing.
>

> 5. Name the Ford nephew who is stepping aside from his candidacy
>
> for city council so Rob Ford can try to reclaim his old city
>
> council seat.
>

> 6. When will the Scots vote to stay in or leave the UK?
>

> 7. Runner Oscar Pistorius was acquitted of his girlfriend's murder.
>
> Name her.
>

> 8. Former boxer Mike Tyson gave a profanity-laced interview on
>
> CP24 after being asked about rape conviction and bad behavior.
>
> Name either the rape victim or his wife, who accused him of
>
> hitting her.
Robin Givens

Joshua Kreitzer

Sep 23, 2014, 10:22:34 PM9/23/14
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in

> * Game 1 (2014-09-15), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 2. Name the NFL commissioner who initially suspended Rice for
> just 2 games.

Goodell

> 6. When will the Scots vote to stay in or leave the UK?

September 18, 2014

> 8. Former boxer Mike Tyson gave a profanity-laced interview on
> CP24 after being asked about rape conviction and bad behavior.
> Name either the rape victim or his wife, who accused him of
> hitting her.

Desiree Washington; Robin Givens
(The latter sentence would have been clearer with a comma after
"victim" and no comma after "wife".)

> 9. The Pakistani army arrested 10 men suspected of involvement in
> the 2012 attack on a teenage female activist. Give her first
> or last name.

Malala

> * Game 2 (2014-09-22), Round 2 - Current Events
>
> 2. Name the form of cancer Rob Ford has been diagnosed with.

bladder cancer

> 3. In Scotland's independence referendum, give the percentage that
> voted no, to the nearest whole percent.

55; 54

> 4. Name the First Minister of Scotland who announced his resignation
> in the wake of the referendum result.

Salmond

> 5. In Major League Baseball, what team clinched the AL East
> Division?

Baltimore Orioles; New York Yankees

> 6. Scotiabank's Giller Prize upped its purse to become one of the
> richest literary awards in the English language -- how much
> cash does the winner get?

$1 million

> 7. Name the Chinese e-commerce giant that just gained a listing
> on the New York Stock Exchange.

Alibaba

> 9. Federal NDP leader Tom Mulcair unveiled a main plank for next
> year's national election: what is his proposed federal minimum
> hourly wage?

$12; $13

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Mark Brader

Sep 24, 2014, 4:55:12 AM9/24/14
Mark Brader:
>> Name either the rape victim or his wife, who accused him of
>> hitting her.

Joshua Kreitzer:
> (The... sentence would have been clearer with a comma after
> "victim" and no comma after "wife".)

No, then it would have sounded as though he had several wives and
I was trying to specify which one.
--
Mark Brader "'Taxpayer' includes any person
Toronto whether or not liable to pay tax."

Dan Tilque

Sep 25, 2014, 6:14:29 PM9/25/14
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1 (2014-09-15), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Football player Ray Rice was suspended indefinitely by the NFL
> after video surfaced of him hitting his then fiancee, now wife.
> Give her first name or her last name then.

Janay

> 2. Name the NFL commissioner who initially suspended Rice for
> just 2 games.
>
> 3. The mayor is threatening to sue the city government and news
> media for allegations about bad behavior. The mayor of Brampton,
> that is. Name her.
>
> 4. Jim Prentice is the new Premier of Alberta. Name the disgraced
> premier he is replacing.
>
> 5. Name the Ford nephew who is stepping aside from his candidacy
> for city council so Rob Ford can try to reclaim his old city
> council seat.
>
> 6. When will the Scots vote to stay in or leave the UK?

18 Sept

> 7. Runner Oscar Pistorius was acquitted of his girlfriend's murder.
> Name her.
>
> 8. Former boxer Mike Tyson gave a profanity-laced interview on
> CP24 after being asked about rape conviction and bad behavior.
> Name either the rape victim or his wife, who accused him of
> hitting her.
>
> 9. The Pakistani army arrested 10 men suspected of involvement in
> the 2012 attack on a teenage female activist. Give her first
> or last name.

Malala

> 10. President Obama this week declared war on ISIS -- the Islamic
> State of Iraq and Syria. Name either of the American journalists
> whose murder was recently depicted in videos posted by ISIS.
>

> * Game 2 (2014-09-22), Round 2 - Current Events
>
> 1. Name the steelmaker based in Hamilton, Ontario, formerly known
> as Stelco, that filed for bankruptcy protection.
>
> 2. Name the form of cancer Rob Ford has been diagnosed with.

colon ??

> 3. In Scotland's independence referendum, give the percentage that
> voted no, to the nearest whole percent.

55

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Sep 26, 2014, 12:39:54 AM9/26/14
Mark Brader writes:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
> answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
> give the answers that were correct on those dates... For further
> information see my companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 1 (2014-09-15), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Football player Ray Rice was suspended indefinitely by the NFL
> after video surfaced of him hitting his then fiancee, now wife.
> Give her first name or her last name then.

Janay Palmer. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 2. Name the NFL commissioner who initially suspended Rice for
> just 2 games.

Roger Goodell. 4 for Marc, Dan Blum, Jason, and Joshua.

> 3. The mayor is threatening to sue the city government and news
> media for allegations about bad behavior. The mayor of Brampton,
> that is. Name her.

Susan Fennell.

> 4. Jim Prentice is the new Premier of Alberta. Name the disgraced
> premier he is replacing.

Alison Redford.

> 5. Name the Ford nephew who is stepping aside from his candidacy
> for city council so Rob Ford can try to reclaim his old city
> council seat.

Michael (Mikey) Ford. No, "Ford" was obviously not sufficient on
this one.

For whose who haven't been following the Ford family in horrified
fascination...

As of September 10, Rob Ford, current mayor and formerly councillor
for Ward 2, was running for reelection as mayor; Doug Ford Jr., his
brother, current councillor for Ward 2, was not a candidate for any
position; Michael Ford, their nephew, was running for city council
in Ward 2.

Then Rob Ford learned he had a serious medical condition, possibly
cancer (as it indeed turned out to be). But candidates had only
2 more days remaining to enter or withdraw from the ballot, so a
fast decision was needed.

On September 12, Michael withdrew from the Ward 2 council race and
entered his candidacy for the school board position corresponding
to Wards 1 and 2; Rob withdrew from the mayoral race and entered his
candidacy for councillor for Ward 2; and Doug entered his candidacy
for mayor. In short, it's tag-team candidates!

> 6. When will the Scots vote to stay in or leave the UK?

Thursday, September 18. 4 for Marc, Rob, Peter, Erland, Jeff,
Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 7. Runner Oscar Pistorius was acquitted of his girlfriend's murder.
> Name her.

Reeva Steenkamp. I scored "Reena Stevenkamp" as almost correct, but
"Rebecca Strelkamp" was not close enough. So: 4 for Rob and Dan Blum.
3 for Peter.

> 8. Former boxer Mike Tyson gave a profanity-laced interview on
> CP24 after being asked about rape conviction and bad behavior.
> Name either the rape victim or his wife, who accused him of
> hitting her.

Desiree Washington, Robin Givens (respectively). 4 for Peter, Jason,
and Joshua (the hard way).

> 9. The Pakistani army arrested 10 men suspected of involvement in
> the 2012 attack on a teenage female activist. Give her first
> or last name.

Malala Yousufzai. 4 for Marc, Rob, Erland, Jeff, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

> 10. President Obama this week declared war on ISIS -- the Islamic
> State of Iraq and Syria. Name either of the American journalists
> whose murder was recently depicted in videos posted by ISIS.

James Foley, Steven Sotlof. 4 for Marc, Rob, Peter, and Jeff.

> * Game 2 (2014-09-22), Round 2 - Current Events

> 1. Name the steelmaker based in Hamilton, Ontario, formerly known
> as Stelco, that filed for bankruptcy protection.

US Steel Canada.

> 2. Name the form of cancer Rob Ford ahs been diagnosed with.

Liposarcoma (or cancer of the connective tissues).

> 3. In Scotland's independence referendum, give the percentage that
> voted no, to the nearest whole percent.

55%. (Accurately 55.303% of valid ballots or 55.251% of all ballots.)
4 for Rob, Peter, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 4. Name the First Minister of Scotland who announced his resignation
> in the wake of the referendum result.

Alex Salmond. 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Erland, and Joshua.

> 5. In Major League Baseball, what team clinched the AL East
> Division?

Baltimore Orioles. 4 for Marc and Jeff. 3 for Joshua.

> 6. Scotiabank's Giller Prize upped its purse to become one of the
> richest literary awards in the English language -- how much
> cash does the winner get?

$100,000. 2 for Rob.

> 7. Name the Chinese e-commerce giant that just gained a listing
> on the New York Stock Exchange.

Alibaba. 4 for Marc, Dan Blum, Peter, Erland, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 8. The Toronto Maple Leafs opened their training camp with a
> controversy: new assistant coach Steve Spott reportedly
> clashed with a star player over his refusal to take direction.
> Name the star.

Phil Kessel.

> 9. Federal NDP leader Tom Mulcair unveiled a main plank for next
> year's national election: what is his proposed federal minimum
> hourly wage?

$15. 2 for Dan Blum.

> 10. Dubbed Canadian "rock royalty", these married musicians are
> reportedly splitting. Either name *both* spouses, or give the
> couple-nickname they've been given.

Chad Kroeger and Avril Lavigne -- "Chavril".

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13:
> On the steelmaker question, we need the specific company, not
> their parent. Go back and add one or more words if necessary to
> be specific.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAMES-> 1 2 TOTALS
Joshua Kreitzer 16 14 30
Peter Smyth 15 12 27
Marc Dashevsky 16 8 24
Rob Parker 16 6 22
Dan Blum 8 13 21
Dan Tilque 12 8 20
Jeff Turner 12 4 16
Erland Sommarskog 8 8 16
Jason Kreitzer 8 0 8

--
Mark Brader "Could you please continue the petty bickering?
Toronto I find it most intriguing."

Joshua Kreitzer

Sep 27, 2014, 10:32:47 AM9/27/14
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:7sSdnffzXLBtG7
_JnZ2dnUV...@vex.net:

> Mark Brader:
>>> Name either the rape victim or his wife, who accused him of
>>> hitting her.
>
> Joshua Kreitzer:
>> (The... sentence would have been clearer with a comma after
>> "victim" and no comma after "wife".)
>
> No, then it would have sounded as though he had several wives and
> I was trying to specify which one.

Mike Tyson is currently married to his third wife, and as far as I know,
only his first wife accused him of hitting her. So that's what I would have
meant.

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com