Rotating quiz: 253 -- Trivial Pursuit 2016/17 edition.

Gareth Owen

Apr 27, 2017, 1:54:09 PM4/27/17
Usual Rotating Quiz rules apply

Closing time - Monday 1st May, 1700 UTC.
Entries after that marked at my discretion

I'll post the answers and results shortly after

RQ

Entertainment
1. One of this generation’s most acclaimed rappers released a new album
recently, a follow-up to his critically lauded “To Pimp A Butterfly”.
Name either the rapper or the album.

2. You probably noticed that the wrong film was announced as Best
Picture at the Oscars Ceremony. But who was the award presenter who
actually read the wrong name out?

Sport & Leisure
3. The New England Patriots stormed back against the Atlanta Falcons in
the Super Bowl, overcoming a record deficit. What was the largest
margin by which the Falcons led at any point in the game?

4. Which German football side were victim of a terrorist bomb attack,
believed by police to have been an attempt to manipulate their stock
price for financial gain?

Arts & Literature
5. Bob Dylan won the Nobel Prize for Literature, but did not attend the
award ceremony, citing previous commitments. Which fellow
musician/poet accepted the award on his behalf?

6. Perhaps the best reviewed novel of 2017 is George Saunders’ debut
full-length work, concerning the fictional afterlife of the a real boy,
Willie, who died at age 11. Willie is the son of which
nineteenth-century American figure?

Science & Nature
7. The existence of what was confirmed by the LIGO in 2016?

8. Lee Sedol suffered a notable professional defeat last year, the first
of its kind. Who was the victor?

History
9. Which English monarch was buried in Leicester Cathedral in 2015?

10. Donald Trump won the US Presidency despite losing the popular vote.
Before Trump, who was the last US President to achieve this feat?

Geography
11. The leader of the Republic of The Gambia announced a change of its
official name in 2015. In 2017 the incoming President announced that
it would change back. What was its official name in the interim?

12. Which Middle Eastern country is plagued by a bitter civil war
between rebel Houthis and forces loyal to ousted President Abd Rabbuh
Mansur Hadi?

Peter Smyth

Apr 27, 2017, 2:29:31 PM4/27/17
Gareth Owen wrote:

> Usual Rotating Quiz rules apply
>
> Closing time - Monday 1st May, 1700 UTC.
> Entries after that marked at my discretion
>
> I'll post the answers and results shortly after
>
> RQ
>
> Entertainment
> 1. One of this generation’s most acclaimed rappers released a new
> album recently, a follow-up to his critically lauded “To Pimp A
> Butterfly”. Name either the rapper or the album.
Jay-Z
> 2. You probably noticed that the wrong film was announced as Best
> Picture at the Oscars Ceremony. But who was the award presenter
> who actually read the wrong name out?
Faye Dunaway
> Sport & Leisure
> 3. The New England Patriots stormed back against the Atlanta Falcons
> in the Super Bowl, overcoming a record deficit. What was the
> largest margin by which the Falcons led at any point in the game?
>
> 4. Which German football side were victim of a terrorist bomb attack,
> believed by police to have been an attempt to manipulate their
> stock price for financial gain?
Borussia Dortmund
> Arts & Literature
> 5. Bob Dylan won the Nobel Prize for Literature, but did not attend
> the award ceremony, citing previous commitments. Which fellow
> musician/poet accepted the award on his behalf?
>
> 6. Perhaps the best reviewed novel of 2017 is George Saunders’ debut
> full-length work, concerning the fictional afterlife of the a real
> boy, Willie, who died at age 11. Willie is the son of which
> nineteenth-century American figure?
>
> Science & Nature
> 7. The existence of what was confirmed by the LIGO in 2016?
Higgs Boson
> 8. Lee Sedol suffered a notable professional defeat last year, the
> first of its kind. Who was the victor?
A computer Go program
> History
> 9. Which English monarch was buried in Leicester Cathedral in 2015?
Richard III
> 10. Donald Trump won the US Presidency despite losing the popular
> vote. Before Trump, who was the last US President to achieve
> this feat?
George W Bush
> Geography
> 11. The leader of the Republic of The Gambia announced a change of its
> official name in 2015. In 2017 the incoming President announced
> that it would change back. What was its official name in the
> interim?
Peoples Republic of The Gambia
> 12. Which Middle Eastern country is plagued by a bitter civil war
> between rebel Houthis and forces loyal to ousted President Abd
> Rabbuh Mansur Hadi?

Peter Smyth

Dan Blum

Apr 27, 2017, 3:17:04 PM4/27/17
Gareth Owen <gwo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2. You probably noticed that the wrong film was announced as Best
> Picture at the Oscars Ceremony. But who was the award presenter who
> actually read the wrong name out?

Warren Beatty

> 6. Perhaps the best reviewed novel of 2017 is George Saunders? debut
> full-length work, concerning the fictional afterlife of the a real boy,
> Willie, who died at age 11. Willie is the son of which
> nineteenth-century American figure?

Abraham Lincoln

> Science & Nature
> 7. The existence of what was confirmed by the LIGO in 2016?

gravity waves

> 8. Lee Sedol suffered a notable professional defeat last year, the first
> of its kind. Who was the victor?

a computer

> History
> 9. Which English monarch was buried in Leicester Cathedral in 2015?

Richard III

> 10. Donald Trump won the US Presidency despite losing the popular vote.
> Before Trump, who was the last US President to achieve this feat?

George W. Bush

> 12. Which Middle Eastern country is plagued by a bitter civil war
> between rebel Houthis and forces loyal to ousted President Abd Rabbuh
> Mansur Hadi?

Yemen

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

Apr 27, 2017, 3:44:21 PM4/27/17
Gareth Owen (gwo...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1. One of this generation?s most acclaimed rappers released a new album
> recently, a follow-up to his critically lauded ?To Pimp A Butterfly?.
> Name either the rapper or the album.

Ice-T

> 2. You probably noticed that the wrong film was announced as Best
> Picture at the Oscars Ceremony. But who was the award presenter who
> actually read the wrong name out?

Jennifer Aniston

> Sport & Leisure
> 3. The New England Patriots stormed back against the Atlanta Falcons in
> the Super Bowl, overcoming a record deficit. What was the largest
> margin by which the Falcons led at any point in the game?

25

> 4. Which German football side were victim of a terrorist bomb attack,
> believed by police to have been an attempt to manipulate their stock
> price for financial gain?

Boroussia Dortmund

> Arts & Literature
> 5. Bob Dylan won the Nobel Prize for Literature, but did not attend the
> award ceremony, citing previous commitments. Which fellow
> musician/poet accepted the award on his behalf?

Patti Smith

> Science & Nature
> 7. The existence of what was confirmed by the LIGO in 2016?

Gravitional particle

> 8. Lee Sedol suffered a notable professional defeat last year, the first
> of its kind. Who was the victor?

A computer

> History
> 9. Which English monarch was buried in Leicester Cathedral in 2015?

Richard III

> 10. Donald Trump won the US Presidency despite losing the popular vote.
> Before Trump, who was the last US President to achieve this feat?

George W Bush

> Geography
> 11. The leader of the Republic of The Gambia announced a change of its
> official name in 2015. In 2017 the incoming President announced that
> it would change back. What was its official name in the interim?

Gambian Republic (I completely missed that)

> 12. Which Middle Eastern country is plagued by a bitter civil war
> between rebel Houthis and forces loyal to ousted President Abd Rabbuh
> Mansur Hadi?

Yemen

Mark Brader

Apr 27, 2017, 3:50:05 PM4/27/17
Mostly guesses here. Gareth Owen asks:

> 1. One of this generation's most acclaimed rappers released a new album
> recently, a follow-up to his critically lauded "To Pimp A Butterfly".
> Name either the rapper or the album.

Drake.

> 2. You probably noticed that the wrong film was announced as Best
> Picture at the Oscars Ceremony. But who was the award presenter who
> actually read the wrong name out?

Warren Beatty.

> Sport & Leisure
> 3. The New England Patriots stormed back against the Atlanta Falcons in
> the Super Bowl, overcoming a record deficit. What was the largest
> margin by which the Falcons led at any point in the game?

24.

> 4. Which German football side were victim of a terrorist bomb attack,
> believed by police to have been an attempt to manipulate their stock
> price for financial gain?

Hanover.

> Arts & Literature
> 5. Bob Dylan won the Nobel Prize for Literature, but did not attend the
> award ceremony, citing previous commitments. Which fellow
> musician/poet accepted the award on his behalf?

No guess.

> 6. Perhaps the best reviewed novel of 2017 is George Saunders' debut
> full-length work, concerning the fictional afterlife of the a real boy,
> Willie, who died at age 11. Willie is the son of which
> nineteenth-century American figure?

Abraham Lincoln.

> Science & Nature
> 7. The existence of what was confirmed by the LIGO in 2016?

Gravitational waves.

> 8. Lee Sedol suffered a notable professional defeat last year, the first
> of its kind. Who was the victor?

The coal industry.

> History
> 9. Which English monarch was buried in Leicester Cathedral in 2015?

King Richard III.

> 10. Donald Trump won the US Presidency despite losing the popular vote.
> Before Trump, who was the last US President to achieve this feat?

George W. Bush.

> Geography
> 11. The leader of the Republic of The Gambia announced a change of its
> official name in 2015. In 2017 the incoming President announced that
> it would change back. What was its official name in the interim?

Republic of Gambia.

> 12. Which Middle Eastern country is plagued by a bitter civil war
> between rebel Houthis and forces loyal to ousted President Abd Rabbuh
> Mansur Hadi?

Palestine.
--
Mark Brader | "You're going to get me in trouble."
Toronto | "No, no; you can say anything you want."

Calvin

Apr 28, 2017, 12:45:37 AM4/28/17
On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 3:54:09 AM UTC+10, Gareth Owen wrote:
> Usual Rotating Quiz rules apply
>
> Closing time - Monday 1st May, 1700 UTC.
> Entries after that marked at my discretion
>
> I'll post the answers and results shortly after
>
> RQ
>
> Entertainment
> 1. One of this generation’s most acclaimed rappers released a new album
> recently, a follow-up to his critically lauded “To Pimp A Butterfly”.
> Name either the rapper or the album.

Weekend (sp?)

> 2. You probably noticed that the wrong film was announced as Best
> Picture at the Oscars Ceremony. But who was the award presenter who
> actually read the wrong name out?

Dunaway

> Sport & Leisure
> 3. The New England Patriots stormed back against the Atlanta Falcons in
> the Super Bowl, overcoming a record deficit. What was the largest
> margin by which the Falcons led at any point in the game?

28

> 4. Which German football side were victim of a terrorist bomb attack,
> believed by police to have been an attempt to manipulate their stock
> price for financial gain?

Dortmund

> Arts & Literature
> 5. Bob Dylan won the Nobel Prize for Literature, but did not attend the
> award ceremony, citing previous commitments. Which fellow
> musician/poet accepted the award on his behalf?

Cohen

> 6. Perhaps the best reviewed novel of 2017 is George Saunders’ debut
> full-length work, concerning the fictional afterlife of the a real boy,
> Willie, who died at age 11. Willie is the son of which
> nineteenth-century American figure?

Lincoln

> Science & Nature
> 7. The existence of what was confirmed by the LIGO in 2016?

Higgs Boson

> 8. Lee Sedol suffered a notable professional defeat last year, the first
> of its kind. Who was the victor?
>
> History
> 9. Which English monarch was buried in Leicester Cathedral in 2015?

Richard III

> 10. Donald Trump won the US Presidency despite losing the popular vote.
> Before Trump, who was the last US President to achieve this feat?

Bush

> Geography
> 11. The leader of the Republic of The Gambia announced a change of its
> official name in 2015. In 2017 the incoming President announced that
> it would change back. What was its official name in the interim?

Gambia

> 12. Which Middle Eastern country is plagued by a bitter civil war
> between rebel Houthis and forces loyal to ousted President Abd Rabbuh
> Mansur Hadi?

Yemen

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

Apr 28, 2017, 1:59:48 AM4/28/17
Gareth Owen wrote:
> Usual Rotating Quiz rules apply
>
> Closing time - Monday 1st May, 1700 UTC.
> Entries after that marked at my discretion
>
> I'll post the answers and results shortly after
>
> RQ
>
> Entertainment
> 1. One of this generation’s most acclaimed rappers released a new album
> recently, a follow-up to his critically lauded “To Pimp A Butterfly”.
> Name either the rapper or the album.
>
> 2. You probably noticed that the wrong film was announced as Best
> Picture at the Oscars Ceremony. But who was the award presenter who
> actually read the wrong name out?
>
> Sport & Leisure
> 3. The New England Patriots stormed back against the Atlanta Falcons in
> the Super Bowl, overcoming a record deficit. What was the largest
> margin by which the Falcons led at any point in the game?

27

> 4. Which German football side were victim of a terrorist bomb attack,
> believed by police to have been an attempt to manipulate their stock
> price for financial gain?
>
> Arts & Literature
> 5. Bob Dylan won the Nobel Prize for Literature, but did not attend the
> award ceremony, citing previous commitments. Which fellow
> musician/poet accepted the award on his behalf?
>
> 6. Perhaps the best reviewed novel of 2017 is George Saunders’ debut
> full-length work, concerning the fictional afterlife of the a real boy,
> Willie, who died at age 11. Willie is the son of which
> nineteenth-century American figure?

Abraham Lincoln

> Science & Nature
> 7. The existence of what was confirmed by the LIGO in 2016?

gravitational waves

> 8. Lee Sedol suffered a notable professional defeat last year, the first
> of its kind. Who was the victor?

computer program

> History
> 9. Which English monarch was buried in Leicester Cathedral in 2015?

Richard III

> 10. Donald Trump won the US Presidency despite losing the popular vote.
> Before Trump, who was the last US President to achieve this feat?

George W. Bush

> Geography
> 11. The leader of the Republic of The Gambia announced a change of its
> official name in 2015. In 2017 the incoming President announced that
> it would change back. What was its official name in the interim?

Gambia (no "The")

> 12. Which Middle Eastern country is plagued by a bitter civil war
> between rebel Houthis and forces loyal to ousted President Abd Rabbuh
> Mansur Hadi?

Yemen

--
Dan Tilque

Marc Dashevsky

May 1, 2017, 12:20:22 PM5/1/17
In article <874lx9s...@gmail.com>, gwo...@gmail.com says...

> Usual Rotating Quiz rules apply
>
> Closing time - Monday 1st May, 1700 UTC.
> Entries after that marked at my discretion
>
> I'll post the answers and results shortly after
>
> RQ
>
> Entertainment
> 1. One of this generation?s most acclaimed rappers released a new album
> recently, a follow-up to his critically lauded ?To Pimp A Butterfly?.
> Name either the rapper or the album.
>
> 2. You probably noticed that the wrong film was announced as Best
> Picture at the Oscars Ceremony. But who was the award presenter who
> actually read the wrong name out?
>
> Sport & Leisure
> 3. The New England Patriots stormed back against the Atlanta Falcons in
> the Super Bowl, overcoming a record deficit. What was the largest
> margin by which the Falcons led at any point in the game?
25 points

> 4. Which German football side were victim of a terrorist bomb attack,
> believed by police to have been an attempt to manipulate their stock
> price for financial gain?
>
> Arts & Literature
> 5. Bob Dylan won the Nobel Prize for Literature, but did not attend the
> award ceremony, citing previous commitments. Which fellow
> musician/poet accepted the award on his behalf?
>
> 6. Perhaps the best reviewed novel of 2017 is George Saunders? debut
> full-length work, concerning the fictional afterlife of the a real boy,
> Willie, who died at age 11. Willie is the son of which
> nineteenth-century American figure?
>
> Science & Nature
> 7. The existence of what was confirmed by the LIGO in 2016?
gravitational waves

> 8. Lee Sedol suffered a notable professional defeat last year, the first
> of its kind. Who was the victor?
>
> History
> 9. Which English monarch was buried in Leicester Cathedral in 2015?
Richard III

> 10. Donald Trump won the US Presidency despite losing the popular vote.
> Before Trump, who was the last US President to achieve this feat?
George W. Bush

> Geography
> 11. The leader of the Republic of The Gambia announced a change of its
> official name in 2015. In 2017 the incoming President announced that
> it would change back. What was its official name in the interim?
>
> 12. Which Middle Eastern country is plagued by a bitter civil war
> between rebel Houthis and forces loyal to ousted President Abd Rabbuh
> Mansur Hadi?
Yemen

Gareth Owen

May 1, 2017, 1:21:17 PM5/1/17
Gareth Owen <gwo...@gmail.com> writes:

> Entertainment
> 1. One of this generation’s most acclaimed rappers released a new album
> recently, a follow-up to his critically lauded “To Pimp A Butterfly”.
> Name either the rapper or the album.

Kendrick Lamar, "Damn" - I expected this might be a stumper and I was
right. rec.games.trivia is not a very Hip-Hop savvy community. I've
not heard "Damn", but "To Pimp A Butterfly" is wonderful.

> 2. You probably noticed that the wrong film was announced as Best
> Picture at the Oscars Ceremony. But who was the award presenter who
> actually read the wrong name out?

Faye Dunaway -- Warren Beatty opened the envelope (they were celebrating
the 50th anniversary of "Bonnie & Clyde"). Then he seemed to realise
something was wrong and helpfully handed it to his co-star.

> Sport & Leisure
> 3. The New England Patriots stormed back against the Atlanta Falcons in
> the Super Bowl, overcoming a record deficit. What was the largest
> margin by which the Falcons led at any point in the game?

25 points - (28-3) early in the third quarter.

> 4. Which German football side were victim of a terrorist bomb attack,
> believed by police to have been an attempt to manipulate their stock
> price for financial gain?

Borrusia Dortmund - one player was injured when a bomb exploded adjacent
to the team bus

> Arts & Literature
> 5. Bob Dylan won the Nobel Prize for Literature, but did not attend the
> award ceremony, citing previous commitments. Which fellow
> musician/poet accepted the award on his behalf?

Patti Smith - a personal favourite of mine. Singleton for Erland.

> 6. Perhaps the best reviewed novel of 2017 is George Saunders’ debut
> full-length work, concerning the fictional afterlife of the a real boy,
> Willie, who died at age 11. Willie is the son of which
> nineteenth-century American figure?

Abraham Lincoln - the novel is "Lincoln in the Bardo"

> Science & Nature
> 7. The existence of what was confirmed by the LIGO in 2016?

Gravitational waves - LIGO is the Laser Interferometer
Gravitational-Wave Observatory. The gravitational particle is still
undetected.

> 8. Lee Sedol suffered a notable professional defeat last year, the first
> of its kind. Who was the victor?

Google Deep Mind - Sedol is a Go champion, and Deep Mind is Google's AI
program that had been taught to play Go. Any reference to a computer
program suffices.

> History
> 9. Which English monarch was buried in Leicester Cathedral in 2015?

Richard III - whose body, discovered in a Leicester car-park had been
recently positively ID'd.

> 10. Donald Trump won the US Presidency despite losing the popular vote.
> Before Trump, who was the last US President to achieve this feat?

George W. Bush (the first of his two elections) -- "Bush" scored .5 as
insufficiently unique

> Geography
> 11. The leader of the Republic of The Gambia announced a change of its
> official name in 2015. In 2017 the incoming President announced that
> it would change back. What was its official name in the interim?

Islamic Republic of The Gambia - I didn't expect this to be a stumper as
there are people here who seem to follow this stuff closely.

> 12. Which Middle Eastern country is plagued by a bitter civil war
> between rebel Houthis and forces loyal to ousted President Abd Rabbuh
> Mansur Hadi?

Yemen

Results - subject to fact that I'm scoring these while having one eye on
"Pointless" so are probably wrong:

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 Q11 Q12 Total
Peter Smyth 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 4
Dan Blum 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 6
Erland Sommarskog 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 7
Mark Brader 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 4
Calvin 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 0 1 .5 0 1 5.5
Dan Tilque 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 6
Marc Dashevsky 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 5

Congratulations Erland - whose singleton on Patti Smith lifted him above
a tightly packed field.

Thanks for entering.

Erland Sommarskog

May 1, 2017, 5:58:08 PM5/1/17
Gareth Owen (gwo...@gmail.com) writes:
> Congratulations Erland - whose singleton on Patti Smith lifted him above
> a tightly packed field.

Thanks Gareth! I might have had a small advantage there, living close
to the festivities. :-)

You will have to accept a small hiatus in the RQ; I'm at a conference for
the next two days. But the next should be up no later than the weekend.

/Erland