Skupiny Google už nepodporují nová předplatná ani příspěvky Usenet. Historický obsah lze zobrazit stále.

QFTCI5GNM15 Final, Round 6: History

13 zobrazení
Přeskočit na první nepřečtenou zprávu

Mark Brader

nepřečteno,
31. 12. 2015 5:04:2131.12.15
komu:
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-07-07,
and should be interpreted accordingly...

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Five Guys Named Moe, and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Final, Round 6 - History

* Conquerors

In each case, name the historical conqueror.

1. He was the King of Macedonia from 336 BC to 323 BC. His empire
spread from Gibraltar to the Punjab.

2. He lived from 1162 to 1227. At the time of his death, his
empire stretched from the Caspian Sea to the Sea of Japan.

3. From 434 to 453, he ruled an empire that stretched from the
Ural River to the Rhine and from the Danube to the Baltic Sea.
He was one of the most feared enemies of the Western and Eastern
Roman Empires.

* Captains at the Helm

Name the famous captains of these historic boats.

4. HMS Victory.
5. PT-109.
6. Golden Hind.

* The Vietnam War

It was Iraq before Iraq was Iraq.

7. Launched in January 1968 by North Vietnamese and Viet Cong
forces, this coordinated series of attacks was aimed at over
100 cities and towns in South Vietnam. Despite the North taking
heavy casualties and being repelled by the South with US support,
this event was considered a victory for the Communists, and a
turning point in the war, as TV coverage soured Americans on
the conflict. What name is given to these attacks?

8. Give the usual name for the chemical defoliant used by the US
military to eliminate forest cover for the forces in the north.
It was later revealed to have caused serious health issues
(birth defects, cancer, and psychological damage).

9. "The Pentagon Papers" was the name given to a secret Department
of Defense study of US military and political involvement in the
Vietnam from 1945 to 1967. Name the analyst who gave a copy of
the report to the "New York Times" after he became disillusioned
with the war.

* Sold their Souls to the Devil

10. Born 1911-05-08, died 1938-09-16. "Rolling Stone" magazine
ranks this American blues musician as the 5th-greatest guitarist
of all time. Legend has it that the devil tuned his guitar
at a crossroads, giving him mastery over the instrument.
He produced 6 records before his death at age 27. He was
believed to have been poisoned and was buried in an unmarked
grave, whose location is still under debate. Name this musician.

11. Born 1480, died 1540. The life of this itinerant alchemist,
astrologer, and magician of the German Renaissance became
the nucleus of a popular tale, with well-known renditions by
Marlowe and Goethe. Legend has it that he summoned the devil and
exchanged his soul in return for 24 years of service from Satan.
But when he changed his mind after 16 years, the devil brutally
murdered him. Who was he?

12. Born 1782-10-27; died 1840-05-27. One of the greatest violin
virtuosos to have ever lived, he composed 24 "caprices"
by age 25, and for years no other violinist was capable of
playing much of his music. He also composed "Le Streghe",
or "The Witches' Dance". Audiences believed he made a pact
with the devil to perform seemingly supernatural displays
of technique. Because of this, he could not get a Catholic
burial; his remains were finally put to rest in 1876 in Parma.
Name this composer and performer.

* Chinese Dynasties

In each case, name the dynasty.

13. The first imperial dynasty of China, it lasted from 221 BC to
206 BC. It was formed after the conquest of 6 other states by
one that the it's named for.

14. This dynasty, which lasted from 618 to 690 and 705 to 907,
was an imperial dynasty of China preceded by the Sui dynasty
and followed by the Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms period.
It was founded by the Li family, who seized power during the
decline and collapse of the Sui Empire.

15. This dynasty, which lasted from 1271 to 1368, was the empire
established by Kublai Khan. Although the Mongols had ruled
territories that included today's northern China for decades,
it was not until 1271 that Kublai Khan officially proclaimed
the dynasty in the traditional Chinese style.

--
Mark Brader "Actually, $150, to an educational institution,
Toronto turns out to be about the same as a lower amount."

Björn Lundin

nepřečteno,
31. 12. 2015 6:16:4631.12.15
komu:
On 2015-12-31 11:04, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-07-07,
> and should be interpreted accordingly...

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Five Guys Named Moe, and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 6 - History
>
> * Conquerors
>
> In each case, name the historical conqueror.
>
> 1. He was the King of Macedonia from 336 BC to 323 BC. His empire
> spread from Gibraltar to the Punjab.

Alexander the Great

> 2. He lived from 1162 to 1227. At the time of his death, his
> empire stretched from the Caspian Sea to the Sea of Japan.

Djingis Khan

> 3. From 434 to 453, he ruled an empire that stretched from the
> Ural River to the Rhine and from the Danube to the Baltic Sea.
> He was one of the most feared enemies of the Western and Eastern
> Roman Empires.

Theodorik; Rurik ?

> * Captains at the Helm
>
> Name the famous captains of these historic boats.
>
> 4. HMS Victory.

Lord Nelson

> 5. PT-109.
> 6. Golden Hind.
>

> * The Vietnam War
>
> It was Iraq before Iraq was Iraq.
>
> 7. Launched in January 1968 by North Vietnamese and Viet Cong
> forces, this coordinated series of attacks was aimed at over
> 100 cities and towns in South Vietnam. Despite the North taking
> heavy casualties and being repelled by the South with US support,
> this event was considered a victory for the Communists, and a
> turning point in the war, as TV coverage soured Americans on
> the conflict. What name is given to these attacks?

Mekong ?

> 8. Give the usual name for the chemical defoliant used by the US
> military to eliminate forest cover for the forces in the north.
> It was later revealed to have caused serious health issues
> (birth defects, cancer, and psychological damage).

Agent Orange

> 9. "The Pentagon Papers" was the name given to a secret Department
> of Defense study of US military and political involvement in the
> Vietnam from 1945 to 1967. Name the analyst who gave a copy of
> the report to the "New York Times" after he became disillusioned
> with the war.
>

> * Sold their Souls to the Devil
>
> 10. Born 1911-05-08, died 1938-09-16. "Rolling Stone" magazine
> ranks this American blues musician as the 5th-greatest guitarist
> of all time. Legend has it that the devil tuned his guitar
> at a crossroads, giving him mastery over the instrument.
> He produced 6 records before his death at age 27. He was
> believed to have been poisoned and was buried in an unmarked
> grave, whose location is still under debate. Name this musician.
>
> 11. Born 1480, died 1540. The life of this itinerant alchemist,
> astrologer, and magician of the German Renaissance became
> the nucleus of a popular tale, with well-known renditions by
> Marlowe and Goethe. Legend has it that he summoned the devil and
> exchanged his soul in return for 24 years of service from Satan.
> But when he changed his mind after 16 years, the devil brutally
> murdered him. Who was he?

Faust ?

> 12. Born 1782-10-27; died 1840-05-27. One of the greatest violin
> virtuosos to have ever lived, he composed 24 "caprices"
> by age 25, and for years no other violinist was capable of
> playing much of his music. He also composed "Le Streghe",
> or "The Witches' Dance". Audiences believed he made a pact
> with the devil to perform seemingly supernatural displays
> of technique. Because of this, he could not get a Catholic
> burial; his remains were finally put to rest in 1876 in Parma.
> Name this composer and performer.

Paganini?

> * Chinese Dynasties
>
> In each case, name the dynasty.
>
> 13. The first imperial dynasty of China, it lasted from 221 BC to
> 206 BC. It was formed after the conquest of 6 other states by
> one that the it's named for.

Ming?

> 14. This dynasty, which lasted from 618 to 690 and 705 to 907,
> was an imperial dynasty of China preceded by the Sui dynasty
> and followed by the Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms period.
> It was founded by the Li family, who seized power during the
> decline and collapse of the Sui Empire.

Ming?

> 15. This dynasty, which lasted from 1271 to 1368, was the empire
> established by Kublai Khan. Although the Mongols had ruled
> territories that included today's northern China for decades,
> it was not until 1271 that Kublai Khan officially proclaimed
> the dynasty in the traditional Chinese style.

Djingis ?

Björn

bbowler

nepřečteno,
31. 12. 2015 9:48:2431.12.15
komu:
On Thu, 31 Dec 2015 04:04:20 -0600, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-07-07, and
> should be interpreted accordingly...
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> based only on your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the
> questions and place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Five Guys Named Moe, and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been
> retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2015-08-18
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 6 - History
>
> * Conquerors
>
> In each case, name the historical conqueror.
>
> 1. He was the King of Macedonia from 336 BC to 323 BC. His empire
> spread from Gibraltar to the Punjab.

Alexander the Great

> 2. He lived from 1162 to 1227. At the time of his death, his
> empire stretched from the Caspian Sea to the Sea of Japan.

Ghengis Kahn

> 3. From 434 to 453, he ruled an empire that stretched from the
> Ural River to the Rhine and from the Danube to the Baltic Sea. He was
> one of the most feared enemies of the Western and Eastern Roman
> Empires.
>

> * Captains at the Helm
>
> Name the famous captains of these historic boats.
>
> 4. HMS Victory.

Admiral Nelson

> 5. PT-109.

JFK

> 6. Golden Hind.

Drake

> * The Vietnam War
>
> It was Iraq before Iraq was Iraq.
>
> 7. Launched in January 1968 by North Vietnamese and Viet Cong
> forces, this coordinated series of attacks was aimed at over 100
> cities and towns in South Vietnam. Despite the North taking heavy
> casualties and being repelled by the South with US support,
> this event was considered a victory for the Communists, and a turning
> point in the war, as TV coverage soured Americans on the conflict.
> What name is given to these attacks?

Tet offensive

> 8. Give the usual name for the chemical defoliant used by the US
> military to eliminate forest cover for the forces in the north. It
> was later revealed to have caused serious health issues (birth
> defects, cancer, and psychological damage).

Agent Orange

> 9. "The Pentagon Papers" was the name given to a secret Department
> of Defense study of US military and political involvement in the
> Vietnam from 1945 to 1967. Name the analyst who gave a copy of the
> report to the "New York Times" after he became disillusioned with the
> war.

Daniel Ellsberg

> * Sold their Souls to the Devil
>
> 10. Born 1911-05-08, died 1938-09-16. "Rolling Stone" magazine
> ranks this American blues musician as the 5th-greatest guitarist of
> all time. Legend has it that the devil tuned his guitar at a
> crossroads, giving him mastery over the instrument.
> He produced 6 records before his death at age 27. He was believed to
> have been poisoned and was buried in an unmarked grave, whose
> location is still under debate. Name this musician.
>
> 11. Born 1480, died 1540. The life of this itinerant alchemist,
> astrologer, and magician of the German Renaissance became the nucleus
> of a popular tale, with well-known renditions by Marlowe and Goethe.
> Legend has it that he summoned the devil and exchanged his soul in
> return for 24 years of service from Satan. But when he changed his
> mind after 16 years, the devil brutally murdered him. Who was he?

Faust

> 12. Born 1782-10-27; died 1840-05-27. One of the greatest violin
> virtuosos to have ever lived, he composed 24 "caprices"
> by age 25, and for years no other violinist was capable of playing
> much of his music. He also composed "Le Streghe",
> or "The Witches' Dance". Audiences believed he made a pact with the
> devil to perform seemingly supernatural displays of technique.
> Because of this, he could not get a Catholic burial; his remains were
> finally put to rest in 1876 in Parma. Name this composer and
> performer.
>

> * Chinese Dynasties
>
> In each case, name the dynasty.
>
> 13. The first imperial dynasty of China, it lasted from 221 BC to
> 206 BC. It was formed after the conquest of 6 other states by one
> that the it's named for.

Han;Ming

> 14. This dynasty, which lasted from 618 to 690 and 705 to 907,
> was an imperial dynasty of China preceded by the Sui dynasty and
> followed by the Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms period.
> It was founded by the Li family, who seized power during the decline
> and collapse of the Sui Empire.

Han;Ming

> 15. This dynasty, which lasted from 1271 to 1368, was the empire
> established by Kublai Khan. Although the Mongols had ruled
> territories that included today's northern China for decades,
> it was not until 1271 that Kublai Khan officially proclaimed the
> dynasty in the traditional Chinese style.

Han;Ming

Erland Sommarskog

nepřečteno,
31. 12. 2015 10:09:5731.12.15
komu:
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> In each case, name the historical conqueror.
>
> 1. He was the King of Macedonia from 336 BC to 323 BC. His empire
> spread from Gibraltar to the Punjab.

Alexander the Great

> 2. He lived from 1162 to 1227. At the time of his death, his
> empire stretched from the Caspian Sea to the Sea of Japan.

Djenghis Khan

> 3. From 434 to 453, he ruled an empire that stretched from the
> Ural River to the Rhine and from the Danube to the Baltic Sea.
> He was one of the most feared enemies of the Western and Eastern
> Roman Empires.

Attila

> * Captains at the Helm
>
> Name the famous captains of these historic boats.
>
> 4. HMS Victory.

Nelson

> 12. Born 1782-10-27; died 1840-05-27. One of the greatest violin
> virtuosos to have ever lived, he composed 24 "caprices"
> by age 25, and for years no other violinist was capable of
> playing much of his music. He also composed "Le Streghe",
> or "The Witches' Dance". Audiences believed he made a pact
> with the devil to perform seemingly supernatural displays
> of technique. Because of this, he could not get a Catholic
> burial; his remains were finally put to rest in 1876 in Parma.
> Name this composer and performer.

Paganini

> 13. The first imperial dynasty of China, it lasted from 221 BC to
> 206 BC. It was formed after the conquest of 6 other states by
> one that the it's named for.

Chin

> 14. This dynasty, which lasted from 618 to 690 and 705 to 907,
> was an imperial dynasty of China preceded by the Sui dynasty
> and followed by the Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms period.
> It was founded by the Li family, who seized power during the
> decline and collapse of the Sui Empire.

T'ang

> 15. This dynasty, which lasted from 1271 to 1368, was the empire
> established by Kublai Khan. Although the Mongols had ruled
> territories that included today's northern China for decades,
> it was not until 1271 that Kublai Khan officially proclaimed
> the dynasty in the traditional Chinese style.

Yuan

Marc Dashevsky

nepřečteno,
31. 12. 2015 10:37:2331.12.15
komu:
In article <TMudndiJ2Y05YBnL...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> ** Final, Round 6 - History
>
> * Conquerors
>
> In each case, name the historical conqueror.
>
> 1. He was the King of Macedonia from 336 BC to 323 BC. His empire
> spread from Gibraltar to the Punjab.
Alexander the Great

> 2. He lived from 1162 to 1227. At the time of his death, his
> empire stretched from the Caspian Sea to the Sea of Japan.
Genghis Khan

> 3. From 434 to 453, he ruled an empire that stretched from the
> Ural River to the Rhine and from the Danube to the Baltic Sea.
> He was one of the most feared enemies of the Western and Eastern
> Roman Empires.
Attila the Hun

> * Captains at the Helm
>
> Name the famous captains of these historic boats.
>
> 4. HMS Victory.
> 5. PT-109.
John F. Kennedy

> 6. Golden Hind.
Francis Drake

> * The Vietnam War
>
> It was Iraq before Iraq was Iraq.
>
> 7. Launched in January 1968 by North Vietnamese and Viet Cong
> forces, this coordinated series of attacks was aimed at over
> 100 cities and towns in South Vietnam. Despite the North taking
> heavy casualties and being repelled by the South with US support,
> this event was considered a victory for the Communists, and a
> turning point in the war, as TV coverage soured Americans on
> the conflict. What name is given to these attacks?
Tet offensive

> 8. Give the usual name for the chemical defoliant used by the US
> military to eliminate forest cover for the forces in the north.
> It was later revealed to have caused serious health issues
> (birth defects, cancer, and psychological damage).
agent orange

> 9. "The Pentagon Papers" was the name given to a secret Department
> of Defense study of US military and political involvement in the
> Vietnam from 1945 to 1967. Name the analyst who gave a copy of
> the report to the "New York Times" after he became disillusioned
> with the war.
Daniel Ellsberg

> * Sold their Souls to the Devil
>
> 10. Born 1911-05-08, died 1938-09-16. "Rolling Stone" magazine
> ranks this American blues musician as the 5th-greatest guitarist
> of all time. Legend has it that the devil tuned his guitar
> at a crossroads, giving him mastery over the instrument.
> He produced 6 records before his death at age 27. He was
> believed to have been poisoned and was buried in an unmarked
> grave, whose location is still under debate. Name this musician.
Robert Johnson

> 11. Born 1480, died 1540. The life of this itinerant alchemist,
> astrologer, and magician of the German Renaissance became
> the nucleus of a popular tale, with well-known renditions by
> Marlowe and Goethe. Legend has it that he summoned the devil and
> exchanged his soul in return for 24 years of service from Satan.
> But when he changed his mind after 16 years, the devil brutally
> murdered him. Who was he?
Faust

> 12. Born 1782-10-27; died 1840-05-27. One of the greatest violin
> virtuosos to have ever lived, he composed 24 "caprices"
> by age 25, and for years no other violinist was capable of
> playing much of his music. He also composed "Le Streghe",
> or "The Witches' Dance". Audiences believed he made a pact
> with the devil to perform seemingly supernatural displays
> of technique. Because of this, he could not get a Catholic
> burial; his remains were finally put to rest in 1876 in Parma.
> Name this composer and performer.
Paganini

> * Chinese Dynasties
>
> In each case, name the dynasty.
>
> 13. The first imperial dynasty of China, it lasted from 221 BC to
> 206 BC. It was formed after the conquest of 6 other states by
> one that the it's named for.
>
> 14. This dynasty, which lasted from 618 to 690 and 705 to 907,
> was an imperial dynasty of China preceded by the Sui dynasty
> and followed by the Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms period.
> It was founded by the Li family, who seized power during the
> decline and collapse of the Sui Empire.
>
> 15. This dynasty, which lasted from 1271 to 1368, was the empire
> established by Kublai Khan. Although the Mongols had ruled
> territories that included today's northern China for decades,
> it was not until 1271 that Kublai Khan officially proclaimed
> the dynasty in the traditional Chinese style.

Dan Blum

nepřečteno,
31. 12. 2015 10:53:5831.12.15
komu:
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Final, Round 6 - History

> * Conquerors

> In each case, name the historical conqueror.

> 1. He was the King of Macedonia from 336 BC to 323 BC. His empire
> spread from Gibraltar to the Punjab.

Alexander the Great

> 2. He lived from 1162 to 1227. At the time of his death, his
> empire stretched from the Caspian Sea to the Sea of Japan.

Genghis Khan

> 3. From 434 to 453, he ruled an empire that stretched from the
> Ural River to the Rhine and from the Danube to the Baltic Sea.
> He was one of the most feared enemies of the Western and Eastern
> Roman Empires.

Attila

> * Captains at the Helm

> Name the famous captains of these historic boats.

> 4. HMS Victory.

Horatio Nelson

> 5. PT-109.

John F. Kennedy

> 6. Golden Hind.

Sir Walter Raleigh; Sir Francis Drake

> * The Vietnam War

> It was Iraq before Iraq was Iraq.

> 7. Launched in January 1968 by North Vietnamese and Viet Cong
> forces, this coordinated series of attacks was aimed at over
> 100 cities and towns in South Vietnam. Despite the North taking
> heavy casualties and being repelled by the South with US support,
> this event was considered a victory for the Communists, and a
> turning point in the war, as TV coverage soured Americans on
> the conflict. What name is given to these attacks?

Tet Offensive

> 8. Give the usual name for the chemical defoliant used by the US
> military to eliminate forest cover for the forces in the north.
> It was later revealed to have caused serious health issues
> (birth defects, cancer, and psychological damage).

Agent Orange

> * Sold their Souls to the Devil

> 10. Born 1911-05-08, died 1938-09-16. "Rolling Stone" magazine
> ranks this American blues musician as the 5th-greatest guitarist
> of all time. Legend has it that the devil tuned his guitar
> at a crossroads, giving him mastery over the instrument.
> He produced 6 records before his death at age 27. He was
> believed to have been poisoned and was buried in an unmarked
> grave, whose location is still under debate. Name this musician.

Robert Johnson

> 11. Born 1480, died 1540. The life of this itinerant alchemist,
> astrologer, and magician of the German Renaissance became
> the nucleus of a popular tale, with well-known renditions by
> Marlowe and Goethe. Legend has it that he summoned the devil and
> exchanged his soul in return for 24 years of service from Satan.
> But when he changed his mind after 16 years, the devil brutally
> murdered him. Who was he?

Faust

> 12. Born 1782-10-27; died 1840-05-27. One of the greatest violin
> virtuosos to have ever lived, he composed 24 "caprices"
> by age 25, and for years no other violinist was capable of
> playing much of his music. He also composed "Le Streghe",
> or "The Witches' Dance". Audiences believed he made a pact
> with the devil to perform seemingly supernatural displays
> of technique. Because of this, he could not get a Catholic
> burial; his remains were finally put to rest in 1876 in Parma.
> Name this composer and performer.

Paganini

> * Chinese Dynasties

> In each case, name the dynasty.

> 13. The first imperial dynasty of China, it lasted from 221 BC to
> 206 BC. It was formed after the conquest of 6 other states by
> one that the it's named for.

Qin
(or Ch'in, depending on which romanization you prefer)

> 14. This dynasty, which lasted from 618 to 690 and 705 to 907,
> was an imperial dynasty of China preceded by the Sui dynasty
> and followed by the Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms period.
> It was founded by the Li family, who seized power during the
> decline and collapse of the Sui Empire.

Tang

> 15. This dynasty, which lasted from 1271 to 1368, was the empire
> established by Kublai Khan. Although the Mongols had ruled
> territories that included today's northern China for decades,
> it was not until 1271 that Kublai Khan officially proclaimed
> the dynasty in the traditional Chinese style.

Ming

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Gareth Owen

nepřečteno,
31. 12. 2015 11:07:3331.12.15
komu:
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> 1. He was the King of Macedonia from 336 BC to 323 BC. His empire
> spread from Gibraltar to the Punjab.

Alexander T. Great

> 2. He lived from 1162 to 1227. At the time of his death, his
> empire stretched from the Caspian Sea to the Sea of Japan.

Genghis Khan

> 3. From 434 to 453, he ruled an empire that stretched from the
> Ural River to the Rhine and from the Danube to the Baltic Sea.
> He was one of the most feared enemies of the Western and Eastern
> Roman Empires.

Atilla T. Hun?

> * Captains at the Helm
>
> Name the famous captains of these historic boats.
>
> 4. HMS Victory.

Horatio Nelson

> 5. PT-109.

JF Kennedy

> 6. Golden Hind.

Francis Drake

> * The Vietnam War
>
> It was Iraq before Iraq was Iraq.
>
> 7. Launched in January 1968 by North Vietnamese and Viet Cong
> forces, this coordinated series of attacks was aimed at over
> 100 cities and towns in South Vietnam. Despite the North taking
> heavy casualties and being repelled by the South with US support,
> this event was considered a victory for the Communists, and a
> turning point in the war, as TV coverage soured Americans on
> the conflict. What name is given to these attacks?

Tet Offensive??

> 8. Give the usual name for the chemical defoliant used by the US
> military to eliminate forest cover for the forces in the north.
> It was later revealed to have caused serious health issues
> (birth defects, cancer, and psychological damage).

Agent Orange

> 9. "The Pentagon Papers" was the name given to a secret Department
> of Defense study of US military and political involvement in the
> Vietnam from 1945 to 1967. Name the analyst who gave a copy of
> the report to the "New York Times" after he became disillusioned
> with the war.

Daniel ...something...

> * Sold their Souls to the Devil
>
> 10. Born 1911-05-08, died 1938-09-16. "Rolling Stone" magazine
> ranks this American blues musician as the 5th-greatest guitarist
> of all time. Legend has it that the devil tuned his guitar
> at a crossroads, giving him mastery over the instrument.
> He produced 6 records before his death at age 27. He was
> believed to have been poisoned and was buried in an unmarked
> grave, whose location is still under debate. Name this musician.

Robert Johnson (also of note is that there is considerable musicological
debate as to whether we've been listening to those records at the wrong
speed. I don't hold a strong opinion, but I do prefer the newer
slower-than-usual versions)

> 11. Born 1480, died 1540. The life of this itinerant alchemist,
> astrologer, and magician of the German Renaissance became
> the nucleus of a popular tale, with well-known renditions by
> Marlowe and Goethe. Legend has it that he summoned the devil and
> exchanged his soul in return for 24 years of service from Satan.
> But when he changed his mind after 16 years, the devil brutally
> murdered him. Who was he?

Faust(us)

> 12. Born 1782-10-27; died 1840-05-27. One of the greatest violin
> virtuosos to have ever lived, he composed 24 "caprices"
> by age 25, and for years no other violinist was capable of
> playing much of his music. He also composed "Le Streghe",
> or "The Witches' Dance". Audiences believed he made a pact
> with the devil to perform seemingly supernatural displays
> of technique. Because of this, he could not get a Catholic
> burial; his remains were finally put to rest in 1876 in Parma.
> Name this composer and performer.

Niccolo Paganini

> * Chinese Dynasties
>
> In each case, name the dynasty.
>
> 13. The first imperial dynasty of China, it lasted from 221 BC to
> 206 BC. It was formed after the conquest of 6 other states by
> one that the it's named for.

Tang, Ming

> 14. This dynasty, which lasted from 618 to 690 and 705 to 907,
> was an imperial dynasty of China preceded by the Sui dynasty
> and followed by the Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms period.
> It was founded by the Li family, who seized power during the
> decline and collapse of the Sui Empire.

Tang, Ming

> 15. This dynasty, which lasted from 1271 to 1368, was the empire
> established by Kublai Khan. Although the Mongols had ruled
> territories that included today's northern China for decades,
> it was not until 1271 that Kublai Khan officially proclaimed
> the dynasty in the traditional Chinese style.

Ming, Tang

Peter Smyth

nepřečteno,
31. 12. 2015 11:21:0531.12.15
komu:
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 6 - History
>
> * Conquerors
>
> In each case, name the historical conqueror.
>
> 1. He was the King of Macedonia from 336 BC to 323 BC. His empire
> spread from Gibraltar to the Punjab.
Alexander the Great
> 2. He lived from 1162 to 1227. At the time of his death, his
> empire stretched from the Caspian Sea to the Sea of Japan.
Genghis Khan
> 3. From 434 to 453, he ruled an empire that stretched from the
> Ural River to the Rhine and from the Danube to the Baltic Sea.
> He was one of the most feared enemies of the Western and Eastern
> Roman Empires.
Johnson

> * Captains at the Helm
>
> Name the famous captains of these historic boats.
>
> 4. HMS Victory.
Nelson
> 5. PT-109.
Johnson
> 6. Golden Hind.
Drake

> * The Vietnam War
>
> It was Iraq before Iraq was Iraq.
>
> 7. Launched in January 1968 by North Vietnamese and Viet Cong
> forces, this coordinated series of attacks was aimed at over
> 100 cities and towns in South Vietnam. Despite the North taking
> heavy casualties and being repelled by the South with US support,
> this event was considered a victory for the Communists, and a
> turning point in the war, as TV coverage soured Americans on
> the conflict. What name is given to these attacks?
>
> 8. Give the usual name for the chemical defoliant used by the US
> military to eliminate forest cover for the forces in the north.
> It was later revealed to have caused serious health issues
> (birth defects, cancer, and psychological damage).
Agent Orange
> 9. "The Pentagon Papers" was the name given to a secret Department
> of Defense study of US military and political involvement in the
> Vietnam from 1945 to 1967. Name the analyst who gave a copy of
> the report to the "New York Times" after he became disillusioned
> with the war.
Johnson

> * Sold their Souls to the Devil
>
> 10. Born 1911-05-08, died 1938-09-16. "Rolling Stone" magazine
> ranks this American blues musician as the 5th-greatest guitarist
> of all time. Legend has it that the devil tuned his guitar
> at a crossroads, giving him mastery over the instrument.
> He produced 6 records before his death at age 27. He was
> believed to have been poisoned and was buried in an unmarked
> grave, whose location is still under debate. Name this musician.
Johnson
> 11. Born 1480, died 1540. The life of this itinerant alchemist,
> astrologer, and magician of the German Renaissance became
> the nucleus of a popular tale, with well-known renditions by
> Marlowe and Goethe. Legend has it that he summoned the devil and
> exchanged his soul in return for 24 years of service from Satan.
> But when he changed his mind after 16 years, the devil brutally
> murdered him. Who was he?
Faustus
> 12. Born 1782-10-27; died 1840-05-27. One of the greatest violin
> virtuosos to have ever lived, he composed 24 "caprices"
> by age 25, and for years no other violinist was capable of
> playing much of his music. He also composed "Le Streghe",
> or "The Witches' Dance". Audiences believed he made a pact
> with the devil to perform seemingly supernatural displays
> of technique. Because of this, he could not get a Catholic
> burial; his remains were finally put to rest in 1876 in Parma.
> Name this composer and performer.
Paganini

> * Chinese Dynasties
>
> In each case, name the dynasty.
>
> 13. The first imperial dynasty of China, it lasted from 221 BC to
> 206 BC. It was formed after the conquest of 6 other states by
> one that the it's named for.
Ming, Han
> 14. This dynasty, which lasted from 618 to 690 and 705 to 907,
> was an imperial dynasty of China preceded by the Sui dynasty
> and followed by the Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms period.
> It was founded by the Li family, who seized power during the
> decline and collapse of the Sui Empire.
Ming, Han
> 15. This dynasty, which lasted from 1271 to 1368, was the empire
> established by Kublai Khan. Although the Mongols had ruled
> territories that included today's northern China for decades,
> it was not until 1271 that Kublai Khan officially proclaimed
> the dynasty in the traditional Chinese style.
Ming, Han

Peter Smyth

Pete

nepřečteno,
31. 12. 2015 18:11:5631.12.15
komu:
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:TMudndiJ2Y05YBnLnZ2dnUU7-
cmd...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-07-07,
> and should be interpreted accordingly...

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Five Guys Named Moe, and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 6 - History
>
> * Conquerors
>
> In each case, name the historical conqueror.
>
> 1. He was the King of Macedonia from 336 BC to 323 BC. His empire
> spread from Gibraltar to the Punjab.

Alexander the Great

> 2. He lived from 1162 to 1227. At the time of his death, his
> empire stretched from the Caspian Sea to the Sea of Japan.

Genghis Khan

> 3. From 434 to 453, he ruled an empire that stretched from the
> Ural River to the Rhine and from the Danube to the Baltic Sea.
> He was one of the most feared enemies of the Western and Eastern
> Roman Empires.

Ivan the Terrible

> * Captains at the Helm
>
> Name the famous captains of these historic boats.
>
> 4. HMS Victory.

Nelson

> 5. PT-109.

John F. Kennedy

> 6. Golden Hind.

John Paul Jones

> * The Vietnam War
>
> It was Iraq before Iraq was Iraq.
>
> 7. Launched in January 1968 by North Vietnamese and Viet Cong
> forces, this coordinated series of attacks was aimed at over
> 100 cities and towns in South Vietnam. Despite the North taking
> heavy casualties and being repelled by the South with US support,
> this event was considered a victory for the Communists, and a
> turning point in the war, as TV coverage soured Americans on
> the conflict. What name is given to these attacks?

Tet Offensive

> 8. Give the usual name for the chemical defoliant used by the US
> military to eliminate forest cover for the forces in the north.
> It was later revealed to have caused serious health issues
> (birth defects, cancer, and psychological damage).

Agent Orange

> 9. "The Pentagon Papers" was the name given to a secret Department
> of Defense study of US military and political involvement in the
> Vietnam from 1945 to 1967. Name the analyst who gave a copy of
> the report to the "New York Times" after he became disillusioned
> with the war.

Ellsberg

> * Sold their Souls to the Devil
>
> 10. Born 1911-05-08, died 1938-09-16. "Rolling Stone" magazine
> ranks this American blues musician as the 5th-greatest guitarist
> of all time. Legend has it that the devil tuned his guitar
> at a crossroads, giving him mastery over the instrument.
> He produced 6 records before his death at age 27. He was
> believed to have been poisoned and was buried in an unmarked
> grave, whose location is still under debate. Name this musician.

Robert Johnson

> 11. Born 1480, died 1540. The life of this itinerant alchemist,
> astrologer, and magician of the German Renaissance became
> the nucleus of a popular tale, with well-known renditions by
> Marlowe and Goethe. Legend has it that he summoned the devil and
> exchanged his soul in return for 24 years of service from Satan.
> But when he changed his mind after 16 years, the devil brutally
> murdered him. Who was he?

Faust

> 12. Born 1782-10-27; died 1840-05-27. One of the greatest violin
> virtuosos to have ever lived, he composed 24 "caprices"
> by age 25, and for years no other violinist was capable of
> playing much of his music. He also composed "Le Streghe",
> or "The Witches' Dance". Audiences believed he made a pact
> with the devil to perform seemingly supernatural displays
> of technique. Because of this, he could not get a Catholic
> burial; his remains were finally put to rest in 1876 in Parma.
> Name this composer and performer.

Paganini

> * Chinese Dynasties
>
> In each case, name the dynasty.
>
> 13. The first imperial dynasty of China, it lasted from 221 BC to
> 206 BC. It was formed after the conquest of 6 other states by
> one that the it's named for.

Han

> 14. This dynasty, which lasted from 618 to 690 and 705 to 907,
> was an imperial dynasty of China preceded by the Sui dynasty
> and followed by the Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms period.
> It was founded by the Li family, who seized power during the
> decline and collapse of the Sui Empire.

Han; Ming

> 15. This dynasty, which lasted from 1271 to 1368, was the empire
> established by Kublai Khan. Although the Mongols had ruled
> territories that included today's northern China for decades,
> it was not until 1271 that Kublai Khan officially proclaimed
> the dynasty in the traditional Chinese style.

Han; Ming

Pete

Joshua Kreitzer

nepřečteno,
31. 12. 2015 18:29:3531.12.15
komu:
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:TMudndiJ2Y05YBnLnZ2dnUU7-
cmd...@giganews.com:

> ** Final, Round 6 - History
>
> * Conquerors
>
> In each case, name the historical conqueror.
>
> 1. He was the King of Macedonia from 336 BC to 323 BC. His empire
> spread from Gibraltar to the Punjab.

Alexander the Great

> 2. He lived from 1162 to 1227. At the time of his death, his
> empire stretched from the Caspian Sea to the Sea of Japan.

Genghis Khan

> 3. From 434 to 453, he ruled an empire that stretched from the
> Ural River to the Rhine and from the Danube to the Baltic Sea.
> He was one of the most feared enemies of the Western and Eastern
> Roman Empires.

Attila the Hun

> * Captains at the Helm
>
> Name the famous captains of these historic boats.
>
> 5. PT-109.

John Kennedy

> * The Vietnam War
>
> 7. Launched in January 1968 by North Vietnamese and Viet Cong
> forces, this coordinated series of attacks was aimed at over
> 100 cities and towns in South Vietnam. Despite the North taking
> heavy casualties and being repelled by the South with US support,
> this event was considered a victory for the Communists, and a
> turning point in the war, as TV coverage soured Americans on
> the conflict. What name is given to these attacks?

Tet Offensive

> 8. Give the usual name for the chemical defoliant used by the US
> military to eliminate forest cover for the forces in the north.
> It was later revealed to have caused serious health issues
> (birth defects, cancer, and psychological damage).

Agent Orange

> 9. "The Pentagon Papers" was the name given to a secret Department
> of Defense study of US military and political involvement in the
> Vietnam from 1945 to 1967. Name the analyst who gave a copy of
> the report to the "New York Times" after he became disillusioned
> with the war.

Ellsberg

> * Sold their Souls to the Devil
>
> 10. Born 1911-05-08, died 1938-09-16. "Rolling Stone" magazine
> ranks this American blues musician as the 5th-greatest guitarist
> of all time. Legend has it that the devil tuned his guitar
> at a crossroads, giving him mastery over the instrument.
> He produced 6 records before his death at age 27. He was
> believed to have been poisoned and was buried in an unmarked
> grave, whose location is still under debate. Name this musician.

Robert Johnson

> 11. Born 1480, died 1540. The life of this itinerant alchemist,
> astrologer, and magician of the German Renaissance became
> the nucleus of a popular tale, with well-known renditions by
> Marlowe and Goethe. Legend has it that he summoned the devil and
> exchanged his soul in return for 24 years of service from Satan.
> But when he changed his mind after 16 years, the devil brutally
> murdered him. Who was he?

Faust

> 12. Born 1782-10-27; died 1840-05-27. One of the greatest violin
> virtuosos to have ever lived, he composed 24 "caprices"
> by age 25, and for years no other violinist was capable of
> playing much of his music. He also composed "Le Streghe",
> or "The Witches' Dance". Audiences believed he made a pact
> with the devil to perform seemingly supernatural displays
> of technique. Because of this, he could not get a Catholic
> burial; his remains were finally put to rest in 1876 in Parma.
> Name this composer and performer.

Paganini (?)

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Jason Kreitzer

nepřečteno,
31. 12. 2015 20:09:0931.12.15
komu:
JFK
> 6. Golden Hind.
>

> * The Vietnam War
>
> It was Iraq before Iraq was Iraq.
>
> 7. Launched in January 1968 by North Vietnamese and Viet Cong
> forces, this coordinated series of attacks was aimed at over
> 100 cities and towns in South Vietnam. Despite the North taking
> heavy casualties and being repelled by the South with US support,
> this event was considered a victory for the Communists, and a
> turning point in the war, as TV coverage soured Americans on
> the conflict. What name is given to these attacks?
>
> 8. Give the usual name for the chemical defoliant used by the US
> military to eliminate forest cover for the forces in the north.
> It was later revealed to have caused serious health issues
> (birth defects, cancer, and psychological damage).
Agent Orange
> 9. "The Pentagon Papers" was the name given to a secret Department
> of Defense study of US military and political involvement in the
> Vietnam from 1945 to 1967. Name the analyst who gave a copy of
> the report to the "New York Times" after he became disillusioned
> with the war.
>

> * Sold their Souls to the Devil
>
> 10. Born 1911-05-08, died 1938-09-16. "Rolling Stone" magazine
> ranks this American blues musician as the 5th-greatest guitarist
> of all time. Legend has it that the devil tuned his guitar
> at a crossroads, giving him mastery over the instrument.
> He produced 6 records before his death at age 27. He was
> believed to have been poisoned and was buried in an unmarked
> grave, whose location is still under debate. Name this musician.
Robert Johnson
> 11. Born 1480, died 1540. The life of this itinerant alchemist,
> astrologer, and magician of the German Renaissance became
> the nucleus of a popular tale, with well-known renditions by
> Marlowe and Goethe. Legend has it that he summoned the devil and
> exchanged his soul in return for 24 years of service from Satan.
> But when he changed his mind after 16 years, the devil brutally
> murdered him. Who was he?
Faust
> 12. Born 1782-10-27; died 1840-05-27. One of the greatest violin
> virtuosos to have ever lived, he composed 24 "caprices"
> by age 25, and for years no other violinist was capable of
> playing much of his music. He also composed "Le Streghe",
> or "The Witches' Dance". Audiences believed he made a pact
> with the devil to perform seemingly supernatural displays
> of technique. Because of this, he could not get a Catholic
> burial; his remains were finally put to rest in 1876 in Parma.
> Name this composer and performer.
>

> * Chinese Dynasties
>
> In each case, name the dynasty.
>
> 13. The first imperial dynasty of China, it lasted from 221 BC to
> 206 BC. It was formed after the conquest of 6 other states by
> one that the it's named for.
>
> 14. This dynasty, which lasted from 618 to 690 and 705 to 907,
> was an imperial dynasty of China preceded by the Sui dynasty
> and followed by the Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms period.
> It was founded by the Li family, who seized power during the
> decline and collapse of the Sui Empire.
>
> 15. This dynasty, which lasted from 1271 to 1368, was the empire
> established by Kublai Khan. Although the Mongols had ruled
> territories that included today's northern China for decades,
> it was not until 1271 that Kublai Khan officially proclaimed
> the dynasty in the traditional Chinese style.
Ming?

Dan Tilque

nepřečteno,
1. 1. 2016 0:52:3901.01.16
komu:
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 6 - History
>
> * Conquerors
>
> In each case, name the historical conqueror.
>
> 1. He was the King of Macedonia from 336 BC to 323 BC. His empire
> spread from Gibraltar to the Punjab.

Alexander the Great

(Although I'm not sure where they got Gibralter as the western extent of
his empire. AFAIK, it didn't extend any further west than the Adriatic.)

> 2. He lived from 1162 to 1227. At the time of his death, his
> empire stretched from the Caspian Sea to the Sea of Japan.

Genghis Khan

> 3. From 434 to 453, he ruled an empire that stretched from the
> Ural River to the Rhine and from the Danube to the Baltic Sea.
> He was one of the most feared enemies of the Western and Eastern
> Roman Empires.

Attila the Hun

> * Captains at the Helm
>
> Name the famous captains of these historic boats.
>
> 4. HMS Victory.

Nelson

> 5. PT-109.

John F Kennedy

> 6. Golden Hind.

Sir Francis Drake

> * The Vietnam War
>
> It was Iraq before Iraq was Iraq.
>
> 7. Launched in January 1968 by North Vietnamese and Viet Cong
> forces, this coordinated series of attacks was aimed at over
> 100 cities and towns in South Vietnam. Despite the North taking
> heavy casualties and being repelled by the South with US support,
> this event was considered a victory for the Communists, and a
> turning point in the war, as TV coverage soured Americans on
> the conflict. What name is given to these attacks?

Tet Offensive

> 8. Give the usual name for the chemical defoliant used by the US
> military to eliminate forest cover for the forces in the north.
> It was later revealed to have caused serious health issues
> (birth defects, cancer, and psychological damage).

Agent Orange

> 9. "The Pentagon Papers" was the name given to a secret Department
> of Defense study of US military and political involvement in the
> Vietnam from 1945 to 1967. Name the analyst who gave a copy of
> the report to the "New York Times" after he became disillusioned
> with the war.

Daniel Ellsberg

> * Sold their Souls to the Devil
>
> 10. Born 1911-05-08, died 1938-09-16. "Rolling Stone" magazine
> ranks this American blues musician as the 5th-greatest guitarist
> of all time. Legend has it that the devil tuned his guitar
> at a crossroads, giving him mastery over the instrument.
> He produced 6 records before his death at age 27. He was
> believed to have been poisoned and was buried in an unmarked
> grave, whose location is still under debate. Name this musician.
>
> 11. Born 1480, died 1540. The life of this itinerant alchemist,
> astrologer, and magician of the German Renaissance became
> the nucleus of a popular tale, with well-known renditions by
> Marlowe and Goethe. Legend has it that he summoned the devil and
> exchanged his soul in return for 24 years of service from Satan.
> But when he changed his mind after 16 years, the devil brutally
> murdered him. Who was he?

Faust

> 12. Born 1782-10-27; died 1840-05-27. One of the greatest violin
> virtuosos to have ever lived, he composed 24 "caprices"
> by age 25, and for years no other violinist was capable of
> playing much of his music. He also composed "Le Streghe",
> or "The Witches' Dance". Audiences believed he made a pact
> with the devil to perform seemingly supernatural displays
> of technique. Because of this, he could not get a Catholic
> burial; his remains were finally put to rest in 1876 in Parma.
> Name this composer and performer.
>

> * Chinese Dynasties
>
> In each case, name the dynasty.
>
> 13. The first imperial dynasty of China, it lasted from 221 BC to
> 206 BC. It was formed after the conquest of 6 other states by
> one that the it's named for.

Qin

> 14. This dynasty, which lasted from 618 to 690 and 705 to 907,
> was an imperial dynasty of China preceded by the Sui dynasty
> and followed by the Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms period.
> It was founded by the Li family, who seized power during the
> decline and collapse of the Sui Empire.

Tang

> 15. This dynasty, which lasted from 1271 to 1368, was the empire
> established by Kublai Khan. Although the Mongols had ruled
> territories that included today's northern China for decades,
> it was not until 1271 that Kublai Khan officially proclaimed
> the dynasty in the traditional Chinese style.

--
Dan Tilque

Calvin

nepřečteno,
1. 1. 2016 22:15:2401.01.16
komu:
On Thursday, December 31, 2015 at 8:04:21 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 6 - History
>
> * Conquerors
>
> In each case, name the historical conqueror.
>
> 1. He was the King of Macedonia from 336 BC to 323 BC. His empire
> spread from Gibraltar to the Punjab.

Alexander Le Great

> 2. He lived from 1162 to 1227. At the time of his death, his
> empire stretched from the Caspian Sea to the Sea of Japan.

Genghis Khan, Attila the Hun

> 3. From 434 to 453, he ruled an empire that stretched from the
> Ural River to the Rhine and from the Danube to the Baltic Sea.
> He was one of the most feared enemies of the Western and Eastern
> Roman Empires.

Vlad the Impaler

> * Captains at the Helm
>
> Name the famous captains of these historic boats.
>
> 4. HMS Victory.

Nelson

> 5. PT-109.

JFK

> 6. Golden Hind.

Drake

> * The Vietnam War
>
> It was Iraq before Iraq was Iraq.
>
> 7. Launched in January 1968 by North Vietnamese and Viet Cong
> forces, this coordinated series of attacks was aimed at over
> 100 cities and towns in South Vietnam. Despite the North taking
> heavy casualties and being repelled by the South with US support,
> this event was considered a victory for the Communists, and a
> turning point in the war, as TV coverage soured Americans on
> the conflict. What name is given to these attacks?
>
> 8. Give the usual name for the chemical defoliant used by the US
> military to eliminate forest cover for the forces in the north.
> It was later revealed to have caused serious health issues
> (birth defects, cancer, and psychological damage).

Agent Orange

> 9. "The Pentagon Papers" was the name given to a secret Department
> of Defense study of US military and political involvement in the
> Vietnam from 1945 to 1967. Name the analyst who gave a copy of
> the report to the "New York Times" after he became disillusioned
> with the war.
>

> * Sold their Souls to the Devil
>
> 10. Born 1911-05-08, died 1938-09-16. "Rolling Stone" magazine
> ranks this American blues musician as the 5th-greatest guitarist
> of all time. Legend has it that the devil tuned his guitar
> at a crossroads, giving him mastery over the instrument.
> He produced 6 records before his death at age 27. He was
> believed to have been poisoned and was buried in an unmarked
> grave, whose location is still under debate. Name this musician.

Robert Johnson

> 11. Born 1480, died 1540. The life of this itinerant alchemist,
> astrologer, and magician of the German Renaissance became
> the nucleus of a popular tale, with well-known renditions by
> Marlowe and Goethe. Legend has it that he summoned the devil and
> exchanged his soul in return for 24 years of service from Satan.
> But when he changed his mind after 16 years, the devil brutally
> murdered him. Who was he?

Faust

> 12. Born 1782-10-27; died 1840-05-27. One of the greatest violin
> virtuosos to have ever lived, he composed 24 "caprices"
> by age 25, and for years no other violinist was capable of
> playing much of his music. He also composed "Le Streghe",
> or "The Witches' Dance". Audiences believed he made a pact
> with the devil to perform seemingly supernatural displays
> of technique. Because of this, he could not get a Catholic
> burial; his remains were finally put to rest in 1876 in Parma.
> Name this composer and performer.
>

> * Chinese Dynasties
>
> In each case, name the dynasty.
>
> 13. The first imperial dynasty of China, it lasted from 221 BC to
> 206 BC. It was formed after the conquest of 6 other states by
> one that the it's named for.

Qing, Ming

> 14. This dynasty, which lasted from 618 to 690 and 705 to 907,
> was an imperial dynasty of China preceded by the Sui dynasty
> and followed by the Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms period.
> It was founded by the Li family, who seized power during the
> decline and collapse of the Sui Empire.

Qing, Ming

> 15. This dynasty, which lasted from 1271 to 1368, was the empire
> established by Kublai Khan. Although the Mongols had ruled
> territories that included today's northern China for decades,
> it was not until 1271 that Kublai Khan officially proclaimed
> the dynasty in the traditional Chinese style.

Qing, Ming

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

nepřečteno,
3. 1. 2016 15:43:5503.01.16
komu:
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-07-07,
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> ** Final, Round 6 - History

> * Conquerors

> In each case, name the historical conqueror.

> 1. He was the King of Macedonia from 336 BC to 323 BC. His empire
> spread from Gibraltar to the Punjab.

Alexander the Great (Alexander III of Macedonia). 4 for Björn,
Bruce, Erland, Marc, Dan Blum, Gare T.H., Peter, Pete, Joshua,
Dan Tilque, and Calvin.

After Dan Tilque queried the reference to Gibraltar, I realized
that I didn't remember hearing of Alexander conquering any place
much west of Macedonia, and did some checking. The closest thing
I found to support for the statement was these two web pages, where
a rather weaker claim is made:

http://www.silk-road.com/artl/alex.shtml

http://1stmuse.com/frames/p2-alex-synopsys.html

| He initiated the era of the Hellenistic monarchies, and created,
| if not politically, at least economically and culturally, a single
| market extending from Gibraltar to the Punjab, open to trade, social
| and cultural exchange. This vast territory had common civilization,
| and the Greek was in fact was the lingua franca of the time.

That seems to be the total extent of any truth of the statement;
my apologies for not noticing the error.

Okay, I did also find this page:

http://atlantipedia.ie/samples/tag/gibraltar-dam/

which says that a 12th-century Arab scholar named Al-Idrisi wrote a
book called "Roger's Book" (Roger then being the king of Sicily), in
which he claimed that Europe and Africa were connected at Gibraltar
until Alexander the Great caused the land bridge to be breached!

And then there's this one:

http://www.planet-of-gold.com/planet_of_gold_alexander_the_great.html

which not only says that "Alexander the great was about to unite
the world, from India to Gibraltar", it invites us to go on and

| Read about the detailed plans of Alexander the Great and how they
| threatened the gold operations of the alien jehovah.

So *there!*

> 2. He lived from 1162 to 1227. At the time of his death, his
> empire stretched from the Caspian Sea to the Sea of Japan.

Genghis Khan (Temujin). 4 for Björn, Bruce, Erland, Marc, Dan Blum,
Gareth, Peter, Pete, Joshua, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Calvin.

> 3. From 434 to 453, he ruled an empire that stretched from the
> Ural River to the Rhine and from the Danube to the Baltic Sea.
> He was one of the most feared enemies of the Western and Eastern
> Roman Empires.

Attila the Hun. 4 for Erland, Marc, Dan Blum, Gareth, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

> * Captains at the Helm

> Name the famous captains of these historic boats.

> 4. HMS Victory.

Vice-Adm. Horatio Lord Nelson. 4 for Björn, Bruce, Erland, Dan Blum,
Gareth, Peter, Pete, Dan Tilque, and Calvin.

> 5. PT-109.

Lt. John F. Kennedy. 4 for BB, Marc, Dan Blum, Gareth, Pete, Joshua,
JK, Dan Tilque, and C.

> 6. Golden Hind.

Sir Francis Drake. 4 for Bruce, Marc, Gareth, Peter, Dan Tilque,
and Calvin. 2 for Dan Blum.

> * The Vietnam War

> It was Iraq before Iraq was Iraq.

> 7. Launched in January 1968 by North Vietnamese and Viet Cong
> forces, this coordinated series of attacks was aimed at over
> 100 cities and towns in South Vietnam. Despite the North taking
> heavy casualties and being repelled by the South with US support,
> this event was considered a victory for the Communists, and a
> turning point in the war, as TV coverage soured Americans on
> the conflict. What name is given to these attacks?

Tet Offensive. 4 for Bruce, Marc, Dan Blum, Gareth, Pete, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

> 8. Give the usual name for the chemical defoliant used by the US
> military to eliminate forest cover for the forces in the north.
> It was later revealed to have caused serious health issues
> (birth defects, cancer, and psychological damage).

Agent Orange. 4 for Björn, Bruce, Marc, Dan Blum, Gareth, Peter,
Pete, Joshua, Jason, Dan Tilque, and Calvin.

> 9. "The Pentagon Papers" was the name given to a secret Department
> of Defense study of US military and political involvement in the
> Vietnam from 1945 to 1967. Name the analyst who gave a copy of
> the report to the "New York Times" after he became disillusioned
> with the war.

Daniel Ellsberg. No points for "Daniel something". 4 for Bruce,
Marc, Pete, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> * Sold their Souls to the Devil

> 10. Born 1911-05-08, died 1938-09-16. "Rolling Stone" magazine
> ranks this American blues musician as the 5th-greatest guitarist
> of all time. Legend has it that the devil tuned his guitar
> at a crossroads, giving him mastery over the instrument.
> He produced 6 records before his death at age 27. He was
> believed to have been poisoned and was buried in an unmarked
> grave, whose location is still under debate. Name this musician.

Robert Johnson. 4 for Marc, Dan Blum, Gareth, Peter, Pete, Joshua,
Jason, and Calvin.

> 11. Born 1480, died 1540. The life of this itinerant alchemist,
> astrologer, and magician of the German Renaissance became
> the nucleus of a popular tale, with well-known renditions by
> Marlowe and Goethe. Legend has it that he summoned the devil and
> exchanged his soul in return for 24 years of service from Satan.
> But when he changed his mind after 16 years, the devil brutally
> murdered him. Who was he?

Dr. Johann Georg Faust. 4 for Björn, Bruce, Marc, Dan Blum, Gareth,
Peter, Pete, Joshua, Jason, Dan Tilque, and Calvin.

> 12. Born 1782-10-27; died 1840-05-27. One of the greatest violin
> virtuosos to have ever lived, he composed 24 "caprices"
> by age 25, and for years no other violinist was capable of
> playing much of his music. He also composed "Le Streghe",
> or "The Witches' Dance". Audiences believed he made a pact
> with the devil to perform seemingly supernatural displays
> of technique. Because of this, he could not get a Catholic
> burial; his remains were finally put to rest in 1876 in Parma.
> Name this composer and performer.

Niccolò Paganini. 4 for Björn, Erland, Marc, Dan Blum, Gareth,
Peter, Pete, and Joshua.

> * Chinese Dynasties

> In each case, name the dynasty.

> 13. The first imperial dynasty of China, it lasted from 221 BC to
> 206 BC. It was formed after the conquest of 6 other states by
> one that the it's named for.

Qin Dynasty. I accepted the spelling "Chin" but because so many
dynasty names are so similar I felt I could not score "Qing" as even
mostly correct. So, 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 14. This dynasty, which lasted from 618 to 690 and 705 to 907,
> was an imperial dynasty of China preceded by the Sui dynasty
> and followed by the Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms period.
> It was founded by the Li family, who seized power during the
> decline and collapse of the Sui Empire.

Tang Dynasty. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Gareth.

> 15. This dynasty, which lasted from 1271 to 1368, was the empire
> established by Kublai Khan. Although the Mongols had ruled
> territories that included today's northern China for decades,
> it was not until 1271 that Kublai Khan officially proclaimed
> the dynasty in the traditional Chinese style.

Yuan Dynasty (or Great Yuan Mongol State). 4 for Erland.

Scores, if there are no errors:

FINAL ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Geo Sci Lit His
Dan Blum 14 47 40 50 151
Joshua Kreitzer 32 40 38 40 150
Marc Dashevsky 22 47 32 44 145
Dan Tilque 20 35 36 48 139
Peter Smyth 35 34 -- 32 101
Gareth Owen 12 -- 40 47 99
"Calvin" 20 41 -- 31 92
Erland Sommarskog 16 24 4 32 76
Pete Gayde 20 8 8 40 76
Björn Lundin 18 22 0 24 64
Bruce Bowler -- -- -- 36 36
Jason Kreitzer -- -- 8 16 24

--
Mark Brader | "(I've been told that I suffer from rampant narcissism.
Toronto | Just to confirm the accuracy of this character assessment,

Erland Sommarskog

nepřečteno,
3. 1. 2016 16:11:3403.01.16
komu:
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> which says that a 12th-century Arab scholar named Al-Idrisi wrote a
> book called "Roger's Book" (Roger then being the king of Sicily), in
> which he claimed that Europe and Africa were connected at Gibraltar
> until Alexander the Great caused the land bridge to be breached!

Indeed they were united for some 600000 years about six million years
ago. It had quite some drastic consequence for the Mediterrean Sea,
and even more so when it when the strait broke open again and the
dried-out sea was flooded.

(It's told in this book:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0684859203?keywords=noah%27s%20flood&qid=1451855417&ref_=sr_1_1&s=books&sr=1-1)

But no, Alexander was not involved.

>> 13. The first imperial dynasty of China, it lasted from 221 BC to
>> 206 BC. It was formed after the conquest of 6 other states by
>> one that the it's named for.
>
> Qin Dynasty. I accepted the spelling "Chin" but because so many
> dynasty names are so similar I felt I could not score "Qing" as even
> mostly correct. So, 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

Yes, the transliteration of Chinese names are difficult since they
have changed over the time. The book which is my main source for
learning Chinese history, Ryane Kruger's "All Under Heaven", calls
them spelling Ch'in, and I had to dig a bit my memory to recall it.

For the most recent dynansty he uses "Ch'ing", but these I've read
about in so many other places, that spelling is not my memory, but
I would have spelled them Qing that there been a question for them.
(And of course, a name for a different dynasty cannot be ruled as
almost correct.)
0 nových zpráv