QFTCI5EP Current Events 9-10

Mark Brader

Mar 28, 2017, 2:36:51 PM3/28/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
give the answers that were correct on that date.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

(The last set of regular-season rounds from the preceding season
will be posted very shortly and will run concurrently with this set.)

All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 9 (2017-03-20), Round 1 - Current Events

1. The shares of this large Canadian pharmaceutical company plunged
to an all-time low after a billionaire investor sold his stake.
Questions about its financial disclosure have resulted in
its share price dropping 95% from its high in 2015. Name the
company.

2. This fast-food chain has served notice in court that it intends
to sue CBC-TV and its show Marketplace over claims about the
percentage of chicken in its chicken sandwiches. Name the chain.

3. During a week in which Donald Trump pledged to ramp up the US
military budget, even though the United States already spends
more than the next seven highest countries combined, he also
found time to tweet his anger over a video by a well-known
hip-hop performer. Who was Trump tweeting about?

4. The Canadian branch of this organization, not known for
political statements, has canceled trips to the US for its
youthful members because of the policies of Donald Trump.
Name the organization.

5. This major Hollywood star disclosed that he just came out of
rehab for alcohol abuse. He is 44 years old. Name him.

6. She's on the cover of "Vanity Fair" this month and is threatening
to sue over the hacking of nude photos that were posted online.
Name the actress.

7. This poet and playwright from St. Lucia, who also won the Nobel
Prize for Literature, died at the age of 87. Name him.

8. A Grammy-Award-winning blues harmonica legend died in Texas
at age 81. He played with everyone from Muddy Waters and
Howlin' Wolf to Led Zeppelin. His nickname was "Mr. Superharp".
Name him.

9. Continuing a family tradition, this Toronto city councillor
had the lowest office expenses of any of his colleagues last
year. Name him.

10. After soliciting votes online, the makers of Monopoly are
replacing three game pieces with a Tyrannosaurus rex, a penguin,
and a rubber ducky. Name any of the existing tokens that will
no longer be part of the game.

* Game 10 (2017-03-27), Round 1 - Current Events

1. Toronto police have been called in after the city's auditor
found evidence of possible bid-rigging in municipal contracts
for what type of work? Be sufficiently specific.

2. Miroslav Gronych pleaded guilty to charges in a Calgary court.
He was arrested in December and found to have been three times
over the legal alcohol limit when he arrived at work to do what?

3. She was a panelist on CBC TV's "Front Page Challenge" for
33 years, and a radio host on CFRB for nearly as long.
She died at the age of 91. Name her.

4. This IRA-leader-turned-politician died at the age of 66 of a
heart condition. His past is controversial, but he was also part
of the peace process in the late 1990s. For the past decade he
served as deputy first minister for Northern Ireland. Name him.

5. Apple has announced product changes, including a special-edition
iPhone. Some of the proceeds will benefit AIDS research.
What color is this special-edition iPhone?

6. A major US news outlet had its Twitter feed hacked last Thursday
morning. Tweets included "We are totally Russian hackers but
we love POTUS", "Trump is our lord and savior", and "Can't
stump the Trump". Name the news outlet.

7. This 28-year-old Canadian swimmer has retired. He won bronze and
silver in the 1,500 m freestyle in two Olympics and also 8 medals
in world championships. Who is he?

8. The World Baseball Classic wrapped up last week with a Toronto
Blue Jay playing a key role in the final. Which country won
the competition?

9. The US Supreme Court unanimously overturned a lower-court ruling
that found that public schools only have to provide minimal
services for autistic children. What's interesting is the
author of the lower-court ruling. Who was that?

10. "America First" President Donald Trump has granted a permit
to build the Keystone XL pipeline -- to which non-American
company?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Suspicion breeds confidence."
m...@vex.net -- BRAZIL

Bruce

Mar 28, 2017, 3:26:34 PM3/28/17
Subway
Thimble

> * Game 10 (2017-03-27), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Toronto police have been called in after the city's auditor
> found evidence of possible bid-rigging in municipal contracts for
> what type of work? Be sufficiently specific.
>
> 2. Miroslav Gronych pleaded guilty to charges in a Calgary court.
> He was arrested in December and found to have been three times over
> the legal alcohol limit when he arrived at work to do what?
>
> 3. She was a panelist on CBC TV's "Front Page Challenge" for
> 33 years, and a radio host on CFRB for nearly as long.
> She died at the age of 91. Name her.
>
> 4. This IRA-leader-turned-politician died at the age of 66 of a
> heart condition. His past is controversial, but he was also part of
> the peace process in the late 1990s. For the past decade he served
> as deputy first minister for Northern Ireland. Name him.
>
> 5. Apple has announced product changes, including a special-edition
> iPhone. Some of the proceeds will benefit AIDS research.
> What color is this special-edition iPhone?

Red

> 6. A major US news outlet had its Twitter feed hacked last Thursday
> morning. Tweets included "We are totally Russian hackers but we love
> POTUS", "Trump is our lord and savior", and "Can't stump the Trump".
> Name the news outlet.

CNN; MSNBC

> 7. This 28-year-old Canadian swimmer has retired. He won bronze and
> silver in the 1,500 m freestyle in two Olympics and also 8 medals in
> world championships. Who is he?
>
> 8. The World Baseball Classic wrapped up last week with a Toronto
> Blue Jay playing a key role in the final. Which country won the
> competition?
>
> 9. The US Supreme Court unanimously overturned a lower-court ruling
> that found that public schools only have to provide minimal services
> for autistic children. What's interesting is the author of the
> lower-court ruling. Who was that?

Gorsuch

Dan Blum

Mar 28, 2017, 3:40:12 PM3/28/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 9 (2017-03-20), Round 1 - Current Events

> 2. This fast-food chain has served notice in court that it intends
> to sue CBC-TV and its show Marketplace over claims about the
> percentage of chicken in its chicken sandwiches. Name the chain.

Subway

> 3. During a week in which Donald Trump pledged to ramp up the US
> military budget, even though the United States already spends
> more than the next seven highest countries combined, he also
> found time to tweet his anger over a video by a well-known
> hip-hop performer. Who was Trump tweeting about?

Kanye West

> 4. The Canadian branch of this organization, not known for
> political statements, has canceled trips to the US for its
> youthful members because of the policies of Donald Trump.
> Name the organization.

Boy Scouts

> 5. This major Hollywood star disclosed that he just came out of
> rehab for alcohol abuse. He is 44 years old. Name him.

Ben Affleck

> 6. She's on the cover of "Vanity Fair" this month and is threatening
> to sue over the hacking of nude photos that were posted online.
> Name the actress.

Scarlett Johanssen

> 7. This poet and playwright from St. Lucia, who also won the Nobel
> Prize for Literature, died at the age of 87. Name him.

Derek Walcott

> 10. After soliciting votes online, the makers of Monopoly are
> replacing three game pieces with a Tyrannosaurus rex, a penguin,
> and a rubber ducky. Name any of the existing tokens that will
> no longer be part of the game.

iron

> * Game 10 (2017-03-27), Round 1 - Current Events

> 2. Miroslav Gronych pleaded guilty to charges in a Calgary court.
> He was arrested in December and found to have been three times
> over the legal alcohol limit when he arrived at work to do what?

administer driving tests

> 4. This IRA-leader-turned-politician died at the age of 66 of a
> heart condition. His past is controversial, but he was also part
> of the peace process in the late 1990s. For the past decade he
> served as deputy first minister for Northern Ireland. Name him.

Gerry Adams

> 5. Apple has announced product changes, including a special-edition
> iPhone. Some of the proceeds will benefit AIDS research.
> What color is this special-edition iPhone?

red; purple

> 6. A major US news outlet had its Twitter feed hacked last Thursday
> morning. Tweets included "We are totally Russian hackers but
> we love POTUS", "Trump is our lord and savior", and "Can't
> stump the Trump". Name the news outlet.

CNN; MSNBC

> 8. The World Baseball Classic wrapped up last week with a Toronto
> Blue Jay playing a key role in the final. Which country won
> the competition?

Japan; Dominican Republic

> 9. The US Supreme Court unanimously overturned a lower-court ruling
> that found that public schools only have to provide minimal
> services for autistic children. What's interesting is the
> author of the lower-court ruling. Who was that?

Gorsuch

> 10. "America First" President Donald Trump has granted a permit
> to build the Keystone XL pipeline -- to which non-American
> company?

Royal Dutch

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

Mar 28, 2017, 5:05:13 PM3/28/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 9 (2017-03-20), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 3. During a week in which Donald Trump pledged to ramp up the US
> military budget, even though the United States already spends
> more than the next seven highest countries combined, he also
> found time to tweet his anger over a video by a well-known
> hip-hop performer. Who was Trump tweeting about?

JayZ

> 7. This poet and playwright from St. Lucia, who also won the Nobel
> Prize for Literature, died at the age of 87. Name him.

Damn! Had they asked for the country, I would have known. But
the name?

> 10. After soliciting votes online, the makers of Monopoly are
> replacing three game pieces with a Tyrannosaurus rex, a penguin,
> and a rubber ducky. Name any of the existing tokens that will
> no longer be part of the game.

The one that you put on your finger when you're sewing is one of them.

> * Game 10 (2017-03-27), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Toronto police have been called in after the city's auditor
> found evidence of possible bid-rigging in municipal contracts
> for what type of work? Be sufficiently specific.

Asphalting. (That's the usual bid-rigging object over here.)

> 4. This IRA-leader-turned-politician died at the age of 66 of a
> heart condition. His past is controversial, but he was also part
> of the peace process in the late 1990s. For the past decade he
> served as deputy first minister for Northern Ireland. Name him.

McMillan

> 5. Apple has announced product changes, including a special-edition
> iPhone. Some of the proceeds will benefit AIDS research.
> What color is this special-edition iPhone?

Pink

> 6. A major US news outlet had its Twitter feed hacked last Thursday
> morning. Tweets included "We are totally Russian hackers but
> we love POTUS", "Trump is our lord and savior", and "Can't
> stump the Trump". Name the news outlet.

New York Times

> 9. The US Supreme Court unanimously overturned a lower-court ruling
> that found that public schools only have to provide minimal
> services for autistic children. What's interesting is the
> author of the lower-court ruling. Who was that?

Betty DeVos

> 10. "America First" President Donald Trump has granted a permit
> to build the Keystone XL pipeline -- to which non-American
> company?

Royal Dutch Shell

Jason Kreitzer

Mar 28, 2017, 8:09:03 PM3/28/17
Snoop Dogg shooting a toy gun at a picture of Trump.
> 4. The Canadian branch of this organization, not known for
> political statements, has canceled trips to the US for its
> youthful members because of the policies of Donald Trump.
> Name the organization.
>
> 5. This major Hollywood star disclosed that he just came out of
> rehab for alcohol abuse. He is 44 years old. Name him.
>
> 6. She's on the cover of "Vanity Fair" this month and is threatening
> to sue over the hacking of nude photos that were posted online.
> Name the actress.
>
> 7. This poet and playwright from St. Lucia, who also won the Nobel
> Prize for Literature, died at the age of 87. Name him.
>
> 8. A Grammy-Award-winning blues harmonica legend died in Texas
> at age 81. He played with everyone from Muddy Waters and
> Howlin' Wolf to Led Zeppelin. His nickname was "Mr. Superharp".
> Name him.
>
> 9. Continuing a family tradition, this Toronto city councillor
> had the lowest office expenses of any of his colleagues last
> year. Name him.
>
> 10. After soliciting votes online, the makers of Monopoly are
> replacing three game pieces with a Tyrannosaurus Rex, a penguin,
USA

Joshua Kreitzer

Mar 28, 2017, 9:24:29 PM3/28/17
On Tuesday, March 28, 2017 at 1:36:51 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9 (2017-03-20), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 2. This fast-food chain has served notice in court that it intends
> to sue CBC-TV and its show Marketplace over claims about the
> percentage of chicken in its chicken sandwiches. Name the chain.

Subway

> 7. This poet and playwright from St. Lucia, who also won the Nobel
> Prize for Literature, died at the age of 87. Name him.

Derek Wolcott

> 9. Continuing a family tradition, this Toronto city councillor
> had the lowest office expenses of any of his colleagues last
> year. Name him.

Ford

> 10. After soliciting votes online, the makers of Monopoly are
> replacing three game pieces with a Tyrannosaurus rex, a penguin,
> and a rubber ducky. Name any of the existing tokens that will
> no longer be part of the game.

thimble

> * Game 10 (2017-03-27), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 2. Miroslav Gronych pleaded guilty to charges in a Calgary court.
> He was arrested in December and found to have been three times
> over the legal alcohol limit when he arrived at work to do what?

fly an airplane

> 4. This IRA-leader-turned-politician died at the age of 66 of a
> heart condition. His past is controversial, but he was also part
> of the peace process in the late 1990s. For the past decade he
> served as deputy first minister for Northern Ireland. Name him.

McGuinness (?)

> 5. Apple has announced product changes, including a special-edition
> iPhone. Some of the proceeds will benefit AIDS research.
> What color is this special-edition iPhone?

red

> 8. The World Baseball Classic wrapped up last week with a Toronto
> Blue Jay playing a key role in the final. Which country won
> the competition?

USA

> 9. The US Supreme Court unanimously overturned a lower-court ruling
> that found that public schools only have to provide minimal
> services for autistic children. What's interesting is the
> author of the lower-court ruling. Who was that?

I suspect that the answer being sought was Neil Gorsuch, but I believe that isn't correct. I don't believe that the particular ruling under appeal was a Gorsuch opinion. However, I don't know who the actual author was.

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Peter Smyth

Mar 29, 2017, 11:40:36 AM3/29/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9 (2017-03-20), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. The shares of this large Canadian pharmaceutical company plunged
> to an all-time low after a billionaire investor sold his stake.
> Questions about its financial disclosure have resulted in
> its share price dropping 95% from its high in 2015. Name the
> company.
>
> 2. This fast-food chain has served notice in court that it intends
> to sue CBC-TV and its show Marketplace over claims about the
> percentage of chicken in its chicken sandwiches. Name the chain.
KFC
> 3. During a week in which Donald Trump pledged to ramp up the US
> military budget, even though the United States already spends
> more than the next seven highest countries combined, he also
> found time to tweet his anger over a video by a well-known
> hip-hop performer. Who was Trump tweeting about?
Eminem, Dr Dre
> 4. The Canadian branch of this organization, not known for
> political statements, has canceled trips to the US for its
> youthful members because of the policies of Donald Trump.
> Name the organization.
Scouts
> 5. This major Hollywood star disclosed that he just came out of
> rehab for alcohol abuse. He is 44 years old. Name him.
Matt Damon, Leonardo Di Caprio
> 6. She's on the cover of "Vanity Fair" this month and is threatening
> to sue over the hacking of nude photos that were posted online.
> Name the actress.
Jennifer Lawrence
> 7. This poet and playwright from St. Lucia, who also won the Nobel
> Prize for Literature, died at the age of 87. Name him.
Walcott
> 8. A Grammy-Award-winning blues harmonica legend died in Texas
> at age 81. He played with everyone from Muddy Waters and
> Howlin' Wolf to Led Zeppelin. His nickname was "Mr. Superharp".
> Name him.
Bleeding Gums Murphy
> 9. Continuing a family tradition, this Toronto city councillor
> had the lowest office expenses of any of his colleagues last
> year. Name him.
Ford
> 10. After soliciting votes online, the makers of Monopoly are
> replacing three game pieces with a Tyrannosaurus rex, a penguin,
> and a rubber ducky. Name any of the existing tokens that will
> no longer be part of the game.
Shoe

> * Game 10 (2017-03-27), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Toronto police have been called in after the city's auditor
> found evidence of possible bid-rigging in municipal contracts
> for what type of work? Be sufficiently specific.
>
> 2. Miroslav Gronych pleaded guilty to charges in a Calgary court.
> He was arrested in December and found to have been three times
> over the legal alcohol limit when he arrived at work to do what?
>
> 3. She was a panelist on CBC TV's "Front Page Challenge" for
> 33 years, and a radio host on CFRB for nearly as long.
> She died at the age of 91. Name her.
>
> 4. This IRA-leader-turned-politician died at the age of 66 of a
> heart condition. His past is controversial, but he was also part
> of the peace process in the late 1990s. For the past decade he
> served as deputy first minister for Northern Ireland. Name him.
Martin McGuinness
> 5. Apple has announced product changes, including a special-edition
> iPhone. Some of the proceeds will benefit AIDS research.
> What color is this special-edition iPhone?
Red
> 6. A major US news outlet had its Twitter feed hacked last Thursday
> morning. Tweets included "We are totally Russian hackers but
> we love POTUS", "Trump is our lord and savior", and "Can't
> stump the Trump". Name the news outlet.
CNN, New York Times
> 7. This 28-year-old Canadian swimmer has retired. He won bronze and
> silver in the 1,500 m freestyle in two Olympics and also 8 medals
> in world championships. Who is he?
>
> 8. The World Baseball Classic wrapped up last week with a Toronto
> Blue Jay playing a key role in the final. Which country won
> the competition?
USA
> 9. The US Supreme Court unanimously overturned a lower-court ruling
> that found that public schools only have to provide minimal
> services for autistic children. What's interesting is the
> author of the lower-court ruling. Who was that?
Neil Gorsuch
> 10. "America First" President Donald Trump has granted a permit
> to build the Keystone XL pipeline -- to which non-American
> company?

Peter Smyth

Pete Gayde

Mar 29, 2017, 12:44:35 PM3/29/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:X7idnfSLYfmjMEfFnZ2dnUU7-
L_N...@giganews.com:
Chik-fil-A

> 3. During a week in which Donald Trump pledged to ramp up the US
> military budget, even though the United States already spends
> more than the next seven highest countries combined, he also
> found time to tweet his anger over a video by a well-known
> hip-hop performer. Who was Trump tweeting about?

Chance the Rapper

> 4. The Canadian branch of this organization, not known for
> political statements, has canceled trips to the US for its
> youthful members because of the policies of Donald Trump.
> Name the organization.

Girl Guides; Boy Scouts

> 5. This major Hollywood star disclosed that he just came out of
> rehab for alcohol abuse. He is 44 years old. Name him.
>
> 6. She's on the cover of "Vanity Fair" this month and is threatening
> to sue over the hacking of nude photos that were posted online.
> Name the actress.

Jennifer Lawrence

> 7. This poet and playwright from St. Lucia, who also won the Nobel
> Prize for Literature, died at the age of 87. Name him.
>
> 8. A Grammy-Award-winning blues harmonica legend died in Texas
> at age 81. He played with everyone from Muddy Waters and
> Howlin' Wolf to Led Zeppelin. His nickname was "Mr. Superharp".
> Name him.

Cooper

> 9. Continuing a family tradition, this Toronto city councillor
> had the lowest office expenses of any of his colleagues last
> year. Name him.
>
> 10. After soliciting votes online, the makers of Monopoly are
> replacing three game pieces with a Tyrannosaurus rex, a penguin,
> and a rubber ducky. Name any of the existing tokens that will
> no longer be part of the game.

Thimble

> * Game 10 (2017-03-27), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Toronto police have been called in after the city's auditor
> found evidence of possible bid-rigging in municipal contracts
> for what type of work? Be sufficiently specific.
>
> 2. Miroslav Gronych pleaded guilty to charges in a Calgary court.
> He was arrested in December and found to have been three times
> over the legal alcohol limit when he arrived at work to do what?
>
> 3. She was a panelist on CBC TV's "Front Page Challenge" for
> 33 years, and a radio host on CFRB for nearly as long.
> She died at the age of 91. Name her.
>
> 4. This IRA-leader-turned-politician died at the age of 66 of a
> heart condition. His past is controversial, but he was also part
> of the peace process in the late 1990s. For the past decade he
> served as deputy first minister for Northern Ireland. Name him.

McGuinness

> 5. Apple has announced product changes, including a special-edition
> iPhone. Some of the proceeds will benefit AIDS research.
> What color is this special-edition iPhone?

Pink

> 6. A major US news outlet had its Twitter feed hacked last Thursday
> morning. Tweets included "We are totally Russian hackers but
> we love POTUS", "Trump is our lord and savior", and "Can't
> stump the Trump". Name the news outlet.

Bloomberg; Associated Press

> 7. This 28-year-old Canadian swimmer has retired. He won bronze and
> silver in the 1,500 m freestyle in two Olympics and also 8 medals
> in world championships. Who is he?
>
> 8. The World Baseball Classic wrapped up last week with a Toronto
> Blue Jay playing a key role in the final. Which country won
> the competition?

United States

> 9. The US Supreme Court unanimously overturned a lower-court ruling
> that found that public schools only have to provide minimal
> services for autistic children. What's interesting is the
> author of the lower-court ruling. Who was that?

Gorsuch

> 10. "America First" President Donald Trump has granted a permit
> to build the Keystone XL pipeline -- to which non-American
> company?

Pete Gayde

---
http://www.avg.com

Dan Tilque

Mar 30, 2017, 3:05:00 AM3/30/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9 (2017-03-20), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. The shares of this large Canadian pharmaceutical company plunged
> to an all-time low after a billionaire investor sold his stake.
> Questions about its financial disclosure have resulted in
> its share price dropping 95% from its high in 2015. Name the
> company.
>
> 2. This fast-food chain has served notice in court that it intends
> to sue CBC-TV and its show Marketplace over claims about the
> percentage of chicken in its chicken sandwiches. Name the chain.

Subway
iron

> * Game 10 (2017-03-27), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Toronto police have been called in after the city's auditor
> found evidence of possible bid-rigging in municipal contracts
> for what type of work? Be sufficiently specific.
>
> 2. Miroslav Gronych pleaded guilty to charges in a Calgary court.
> He was arrested in December and found to have been three times
> over the legal alcohol limit when he arrived at work to do what?

person who gives road tests for drivers' licenses

> 3. She was a panelist on CBC TV's "Front Page Challenge" for
> 33 years, and a radio host on CFRB for nearly as long.
> She died at the age of 91. Name her.
>
> 4. This IRA-leader-turned-politician died at the age of 66 of a
> heart condition. His past is controversial, but he was also part
> of the peace process in the late 1990s. For the past decade he
> served as deputy first minister for Northern Ireland. Name him.
>
> 5. Apple has announced product changes, including a special-edition
> iPhone. Some of the proceeds will benefit AIDS research.
> What color is this special-edition iPhone?

pink

> 6. A major US news outlet had its Twitter feed hacked last Thursday
> morning. Tweets included "We are totally Russian hackers but
> we love POTUS", "Trump is our lord and savior", and "Can't
> stump the Trump". Name the news outlet.
>
> 7. This 28-year-old Canadian swimmer has retired. He won bronze and
> silver in the 1,500 m freestyle in two Olympics and also 8 medals
> in world championships. Who is he?
>
> 8. The World Baseball Classic wrapped up last week with a Toronto
> Blue Jay playing a key role in the final. Which country won
> the competition?

USA

--
Dan Tilque

Marc Dashevsky

Mar 31, 2017, 4:04:38 PM3/31/17
In article <X7idnfSLYfmjMEfF...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
James Cotton

> 9. Continuing a family tradition, this Toronto city councillor
> had the lowest office expenses of any of his colleagues last
> year. Name him.
>
> 10. After soliciting votes online, the makers of Monopoly are
> replacing three game pieces with a Tyrannosaurus rex, a penguin,
> and a rubber ducky. Name any of the existing tokens that will
> no longer be part of the game.
wheelbarrow

> * Game 10 (2017-03-27), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Toronto police have been called in after the city's auditor
> found evidence of possible bid-rigging in municipal contracts
> for what type of work? Be sufficiently specific.
>
> 2. Miroslav Gronych pleaded guilty to charges in a Calgary court.
> He was arrested in December and found to have been three times
> over the legal alcohol limit when he arrived at work to do what?
>
> 3. She was a panelist on CBC TV's "Front Page Challenge" for
> 33 years, and a radio host on CFRB for nearly as long.
> She died at the age of 91. Name her.
>
> 4. This IRA-leader-turned-politician died at the age of 66 of a
> heart condition. His past is controversial, but he was also part
> of the peace process in the late 1990s. For the past decade he
> served as deputy first minister for Northern Ireland. Name him.
>
> 5. Apple has announced product changes, including a special-edition
> iPhone. Some of the proceeds will benefit AIDS research.
> What color is this special-edition iPhone?
red

> 6. A major US news outlet had its Twitter feed hacked last Thursday
> morning. Tweets included "We are totally Russian hackers but
> we love POTUS", "Trump is our lord and savior", and "Can't
> stump the Trump". Name the news outlet.
ABC News

> 7. This 28-year-old Canadian swimmer has retired. He won bronze and
> silver in the 1,500 m freestyle in two Olympics and also 8 medals
> in world championships. Who is he?
>
> 8. The World Baseball Classic wrapped up last week with a Toronto
> Blue Jay playing a key role in the final. Which country won
> the competition?
USA

> 9. The US Supreme Court unanimously overturned a lower-court ruling
> that found that public schools only have to provide minimal
> services for autistic children. What's interesting is the
> author of the lower-court ruling. Who was that?
Gorsuch

> 10. "America First" President Donald Trump has granted a permit
> to build the Keystone XL pipeline -- to which non-American
> company?

Mark Brader

Mar 31, 2017, 5:01:43 PM3/31/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
> answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
> give the answers that were correct on that date... For further
> information see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 9 (2017-03-20), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. The shares of this large Canadian pharmaceutical company plunged
> to an all-time low after a billionaire investor sold his stake.
> Questions about its financial disclosure have resulted in
> its share price dropping 95% from its high in 2015. Name the
> company.

Valeant.

> 2. This fast-food chain has served notice in court that it intends
> to sue CBC-TV and its show Marketplace over claims about the
> percentage of chicken in its chicken sandwiches. Name the chain.

Subway. 4 for Bruce, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 3. During a week in which Donald Trump pledged to ramp up the US
> military budget, even though the United States already spends
> more than the next seven highest countries combined, he also
> found time to tweet his anger over a video by a well-known
> hip-hop performer. Who was Trump tweeting about?

Snoop Dogg. (Also accepting his earlier name Snoop Doggy Dogg,
or his real name Calvin Broadus.) 4 for Jason.

> 4. The Canadian branch of this organization, not known for
> political statements, has canceled trips to the US for its
> youthful members because of the policies of Donald Trump.
> Name the organization.

Girl Guides. (Also accepting Girl Scouts, the name in some foreign
countries, but Scouts was not sufficiently specific.) 3 for Pete.

> 5. This major Hollywood star disclosed that he just came out of
> rehab for alcohol abuse. He is 44 years old. Name him.

Ben Affleck. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 6. She's on the cover of "Vanity Fair" this month and is threatening
> to sue over the hacking of nude photos that were posted online.
> Name the actress.

Emma Watson.

> 7. This poet and playwright from St. Lucia, who also won the Nobel
> Prize for Literature, died at the age of 87. Name him.

Derek Walcott. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Peter.

> 8. A Grammy-Award-winning blues harmonica legend died in Texas
> at age 81. He played with everyone from Muddy Waters and
> Howlin' Wolf to Led Zeppelin. His nickname was "Mr. Superharp".
> Name him.

James Cotton. 4 for Marc.

> 9. Continuing a family tradition, this Toronto city councillor
> had the lowest office expenses of any of his colleagues last
> year. Name him.

Michael Ford. (Nephew of Rob and of Doug.) 4 for Joshua and Peter.

> 10. After soliciting votes online, the makers of Monopoly are
> replacing three game pieces with a Tyrannosaurus rex, a penguin,
> and a rubber ducky. Name any of the existing tokens that will
> no longer be part of the game.

Boot (accepting shoe), thimble (accepting a description), wheelbarrow.
4 for Bruce, Erland, Joshua, Peter, Pete, and Marc.

Some people tried the iron; that was replaced in 2013.

> * Game 10 (2017-03-27), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Toronto police have been called in after the city's auditor
> found evidence of possible bid-rigging in municipal contracts
> for what type of work? Be sufficiently specific.

Road paving/resurfacing. 4 for Erland.

> 2. Miroslav Gronych pleaded guilty to charges in a Calgary court.
> He was arrested in December and found to have been three times
> over the legal alcohol limit when he arrived at work to do what?

Pilot an airliner for Sunwing to Regina, Winnipeg, and Cancun.
4 for Joshua.

He arrived an hour late for the flight, staggering, wearing his
pilot's wings upside-down, and slurring his words as he explained
that he had gotten lost going through security; and by the time
police arrived, he had passed out.

> 3. She was a panelist on CBC TV's "Front Page Challenge" for
> 33 years, and a radio host on CFRB for nearly as long.
> She died at the age of 91. Name her.

Betty Kennedy. (See Game 5, Round 10, of QFTCI11, posted here
2011-03-25.)

> 4. This IRA-leader-turned-politician died at the age of 66 of a
> heart condition. His past is controversial, but he was also part
> of the peace process in the late 1990s. For the past decade he
> served as deputy first minister for Northern Ireland. Name him.

Martin McGuinness. 4 for Joshua, Peter, and Pete.

> 5. Apple has announced product changes, including a special-edition
> iPhone. Some of the proceeds will benefit AIDS research.
> What color is this special-edition iPhone?

Red. 4 for Bruce, Joshua, Peter, and Marc. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 6. A major US news outlet had its Twitter feed hacked last Thursday
> morning. Tweets included "We are totally Russian hackers but
> we love POTUS", "Trump is our lord and savior", and "Can't
> stump the Trump". Name the news outlet.

ABC. 4 for Marc.

> 7. This 28-year-old Canadian swimmer has retired. He won bronze and
> silver in the 1,500 m freestyle in two Olympics and also 8 medals
> in world championships. Who is he?

Ryan Cochrane.

> 8. The World Baseball Classic wrapped up last week with a Toronto
> Blue Jay playing a key role in the final. Which country won
> the competition?

US. 4 for Jason, Joshua, Peter, Pete, Dan Tilque, and Marc.

> 9. The US Supreme Court unanimously overturned a lower-court ruling
> that found that public schools only have to provide minimal
> services for autistic children. What's interesting is the
> author of the lower-court ruling. Who was that?

Tim Tymkovich, but I'm also accepting Neil Gorsuch -- see below.
4 for Bruce, Dan Blum, Joshua, Peter, Pete, Dan Tilque, and Marc.

Some news sources, notably "Time" magazine, said that the case was
an appeal of a 2008 ruling by Gorsuch -- and therefore I'm accepting
that answer -- but, as Joshua indicated, they were wrong. It was
actually a 2015 ruling by Tymkovich.

Other news sources indicate that the relevance was that Tymkovich's
ruling had relied on Gorsuch's as a key precedent; but still others
say that this too is wrong and *really* the key precedent was a 1996
ruling by Deanell Tacha in yet another similar case, which Gorsuch
should not be faulted for relying on. All these cases were decided
in the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals.

For myself, I'm not going into it any further. But if you want to,
here are the three rulings by Tacha, Gorsuch, and Tymkovich:

http://www.ca10.uscourts.gov/opinions/95/95-1111.pdf
http://www.ca10.uscourts.gov/opinions/07/07-1304.pdf
http://www.ca10.uscourts.gov/opinions/14/14-1417.pdf

And the Supreme Court ruling overturning Tymkovich:

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/16pdf/15-827_0pm1.pdf

> 10. "America First" President Donald Trump has granted a permit
> to build the Keystone XL pipeline -- to which non-American
> company?

TransCanada (accepting TransCanada PipeLines).

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAMES-> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 BEST EIGHT
Pete Gayde 16 16 24 23 16 16 20 18 7 12 149
Joshua Kreitzer 8 24 16 24 8 12 12 12 16 20 136
Dan Blum 4 4 10 12 4 22 16 6 12 7 89
Marc Dashevsky 4 12 12 12 4 8 12 8 8 16 88
Dan Tilque 0 4 8 16 4 0 12 20 4 8 76
Peter Smyth -- -- 16 16 -- -- 4 12 12 16 76
Don Piven -- -- 12 12 16 12 12 8 -- -- 72
Erland Sommarskog 0 8 4 8 8 12 7 8 4 4 59
"ArenEss" 20 24 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 44
Bruce Bowler -- -- -- -- -- -- 16 12 8 8 44
Jason Kreitzer -- -- -- -- 0 8 4 8 4 4 28

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Police Stop Slaying Suspect Look-alikes"
m...@vex.net | --Yakima, WA, Herald-Republic, 2001-08-26