Titanic lyrics

Pat Stewart, Athens, Ga.

Oct 22, 1994, 4:16:20 PM10/22/94
How many stanzas from "It was sad when that great ship went down" can
you reproduce? Song originated in 1912.

Cristi Jo Gale

Oct 22, 1994, 6:10:52 PM10/22/94
In article <941022.161607...@uga.cc.uga.edu>,

Pat Stewart, Athens, Ga. <PSTE...@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU> wrote:
>How many stanzas from "It was sad when that great ship went down" can
>you reproduce? Song originated in 1912.

Wow! We use to sing this in music class in grade school and I can actually
remember a stanza. It went something like this...

Well they weren't to far from England's friendly shore
When the rich refused to asscoiate with the poor.
So they put them down below
Where they'd be the first to go.
It was sad when the great ship went down.

Chorus - Oh it was sad....

I'd like to know what the rest of them are! :-)

-Cristi
--
* Cristi Gale (Pineapple) Yakko : I'm Yakko! *
* E-mail CJ-...@bgu.edu Wakko : I'm Wakko! *

Harlan Messinger

Oct 23, 1994, 9:26:45 AM10/23/94
Pat Stewart, Athens, Ga. (PSTE...@UGA.CC.UGA.EDU) wrote:
: How many stanzas from "It was sad when that great ship went down" can

: you reproduce? Song originated in 1912.

They built the ship Titanic
To sail the ocean blue
And they thought they had a ship
The water could not leak through.
But the Lord's almighty hand
Knew the ship would never stand.

It was sad when the great ship went down.

[Refrain]
Oh, it was sad,
It was sad,

It was sad when the great ship went down.

Husbands and wives,
Itty bitty children lost their lives.

It was sad when the great ship went down.

[And then the stanza that the previous responder supplied]

Richard H. Schultz

Oct 24, 1994, 5:41:04 PM10/24/94
This "Titanic" thread has made me think of a song we used to sing in
Scout camp. Has anyone heard of this? Is it a real sea shanty, or
just one of those things they make up for Scout camp? More importantly,
are there any "adult" lyrics?

Australian ships they have no sails,
Heave away! Heave away!
They sail their ships with codfish tails,
We are bound for Australia.

{Refrain}
Heave away, my bonny boys!
Heave away! Heave away!
Heave away, and don't you make no noise,
We are bound for Australia.

Australian girls they have no combs,
Heave away! Heave away!
They comb their hair with codfish bones,
We are bound for Australia.

{Refrain}

Australian boys they have no sleds,
Heave away! Heave away!
They slide down hills on codfish heads,
We are bound for Australia.

{Refrain}

Richard Schultz

Richard H. Schultz

Oct 24, 1994, 5:46:14 PM10/24/94
It's interesting how the lyrics vary from scout camp to scout camp. . .

In article <38fehc$k...@ucunix.san.uc.edu> glaz...@ucunix.san.uc.edu (Zach Glazer) writes:

>Oh they were not far from england,
>and they were not far from shore
>when the rich refused to associate with the poor
>so they put them down below
>and they were the first to go.

>It was sad when the great ship went down.

We sang the first two lines of this stanza

They were off the coast of England
A thousand miles or more. . . [etc. as above]

We also sang the following as the final stanza

Oh they built a sister ship
And they called her Mary Lou.
Her bow was painted pink
And her stern was painted blue.
They christened her with beer,
And she sank right off the pier,

It was sad when the great ship went down.

Richard Schultz

David G. Jones

Oct 25, 1994, 1:47:48 PM10/25/94
I saw, last summer, a church camp version that in one verse blamed the
disaster on the "sin" of the passengers. Can you believe it?

Richard H.
Schultz (rsch...@phoenix.Princeton.EDU) wrote:
: It's interesting how the lyrics vary from scout camp to scout camp. . .

--

DJo...@hpb.hwc.ca and 140 O'Connor Street, Ottawa, Ont. and (613)957-2510

Wayne Hathaway

Oct 27, 1994, 5:46:44 PM10/27/94
I probably shouldn't do this, but...

This "Titanic" thread reminds me of a record album a friend had
in college called "Smash Flops." You know, songs that COULD have
been hits except for that one little matter of timing...

I forget who did it, but it had tunes such as "The Ballad of
General Custer" and the one that the Titanic song reminded me of,
although I can only remember this fragment:

There'll be a hot, hot time
In Lakehurst, New Jersey,
When the Hindenburg lands today!

Etc; really very well done! :-)

Oh, here's what I remember of "General Custer":

We're depending on you,
We know you'll come through,
And wipe out the Sioux,
General Custer.

and a chorus that ends...

And history will recall this day
As Sitting Bull's last stand!

Anyway, does anybody else out there remember such a platter? I
just *KNOW* this wasn't a figment... :-)

Wayne Hathaway Internet: wa...@auspex.com
Auspex Systems Phone: 408-986-2044
5200 Great America Parkway FAX: 408-986-2020
Santa Clara, CA 95054
NOTE: Opinions are the author's, NOT those of Auspex!

Tom Jaskiewicz

Oct 27, 1994, 7:28:47 PM10/27/94
It's a capstan chantey. The version I've heard goes:

** Cape Cod girls don't use no combs,
Haul away, haul away;
** They combe their hair with a codfish bone,
And we're bound away for Australia.
So heave her up my bully, bully boys
Haul away, haul away;
Heave here up and don't ya' make a noise
And we're bound away for Australia.

2nd verse:
Cape Cod kids don't have no sleds...
They slide down the hill on a codfish head...

3rd verse:
Cape Cod cats don't have no tails...
They lost 'em all in a Northeast gale...

4th verse:
Cape Cod ladies don't have no frills...
They're plain and skinny as a codfish gill...

You could probably get 5 more versions by asking this question
in rec.music.folk.

XANDRIA

Oct 27, 1994, 7:55:31 PM10/27/94

I was reading this newsgroup for the first time and
much to my surprise I found that I could answer a question.

I know the above song as
"Bound for South Australia"

In South Australia I was born,
Heave away haul away,
South Australia 'round Cape Horn,
Bound for South Australia

(Chorus)
Heave away, you rolling kings,
Heave away, haul away,
Heave away, oh hear me sing,
Bound for South Australia,

When we lolloped 'round Cape Horn
Heave away, Haul away,
Wish to God you'd never been born,
Bound for South Australia,

(Chorus)

We've got a good ship and a jolly crew,
Heave away, haul away,
And a good captain and first mate too,
Bound for South Australia

(Chorus)

Port Lincoln girls they have no combs,
Heave away, haul away,
They do their hair with schnapper bones,
Bound for South Australia,

(Chorus)

Now Lisa Lee she promised me,
Heave away, haul away,
When I returned she'd marry me,
Bound for South Australia.

Xandria

gos...@tenthousandvillages.com

Aug 12, 2016, 2:37:31 PM8/12/16
I see that this post is from 1994 (seriously, was there even internet then?!) but I found it looking for something else. Just on the off chance that the OP will actually see this: Yes, indeed Smash Flops was really an album. We had it when I was a girl and I can still sing many of the songs by heart.