QFTCI5EP Game 1, Rounds 4,6: movie sci, Olympics track

Mark Brader

Apr 27, 2017, 8:32:07 PM4/27/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-01-16,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 1, Round 4 - Science - Science of Filmmaking

1. Name the famous scientist who experimentally confirmed the
trichromatic theory (that retinal cones are only responsive
to three colors), produced the first color photograph (in the
mid-1800s), and paved the way for color film. He later became
the founder of the study of electromagnetism.

2. Kinemacolor, the first process to capture color on film, was an
additive process. In the camera, one frame would be captured
with a red filter and the next with green. When played back
through a red-green flywheel, the result was a surprisingly
good color image. Aside from the appearance of fringing around
fast-moving objects, what was its major shortfall?

Please decode the rot13 for the next two questions *one at a time*,
proceeding to each question only after you have answered the ones before.

3. Gur arkg pbybe cebprff jnf na nqqvgvir bar cngragrq va 1922.
Vg hfrq n ornz fcyvggre gb pncgher vzntrf ba gjb frcnengr
svyz fgbpxf -- bar qlrq erq-benatr, gur bgure oyhr-terra.
Gur gjb svyzf jrer przragrq gbtrgure naq pbhyq or cynlrq ba n
fgnaqneq cebwrpgbe. Vg jnf yngre ersvarq vagb n uhtryl cbchyne
guerr-fgevc flfgrz va 1932. Anzr gur cebprff.

4. Gur arkg pbybe svyz vaabingvba jnf Rnfgznapbybe svyz fgbpx
va 1950. Vg jnf purncre guna Grpuavpbybe, qvqa'g erdhver
fcrpvnyvmrq yvtug be yno cebprffrf, naq orpnzr gur fgnaqneq sbe
svyz hagvy gur 1980f. Jung jnf vgf znwbe qenjonpx, cebzcgvat
Znegva Fpbefrfr gb yrnq n pnzcnvta hetvat gur pbzcnal gb
punatr vg?

5. Ted Turner's controversial "Colorization" of black-and-white
films led to selective color manipulation to create unique
film tones. What was the first movie to be entirely digitally
manipulated to achieve a golden, dusty, desaturated look,
in 2000?

6. Name the *company* that created CinemaScope in 1953. The process
was a refinement of the French Anamorphoscope. The anamorphic
camera lens employs an optical trick to produce an image twice
as wide as a conventional lens and continues to be used today.

7. This film format has its roots in a multi-projector, multi-screen
work created for Expo 67. Technical difficulties led to
the formation of the company Multiscreen to explore a simpler
approach. It later settled on a single-screen, single-projector,
single-camera system that increases film resolution by using
a larger film frame. The format is still in use today; name it.

8. Film soundtracks didn't change much until the early 1970s when
this firm proposed replacing the standard frequency response
(as set by the Academy of Motion Pictures in 1938) with a
noise-reduction track. Theatres were reluctant to upgrade,
however, until the firm developed, together with Kodak, a
Quadraphonic system in 1976. Name the firm.

9. What is the name for the technique that combines a background
image with that of an actor against a blue or green screen?
The name reflects the fact that the images are combined or
layered together based on color hues.

10. This branch of social science (closely related to linguistics)
uses the concepts of cultural signs, codes, and conventions to
explain why bad guys wear black hats -- and why Terrence Malick
has a career. Name the science.

* Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Track and Field at the Olympics

1. This high jumper won a silver medal for Canada at the 1976
Olympics in Montreal. His performance was also featured for
many years on TV stations as they signed off for the night.

2. He set a world record in the decathlon in 1976, and might
be even better-known now, but with a different first name.
Give this person's last name.

3. The 1988 Summer Olympics are notorious for the positive drug
test of Ben Johnson, resulting in his disqualification and the
gold medal being awarded to Carl Lewis. To this day there are
suspicions that everyone else in the final was also cheating.
Name any one of the other six sprinters in that 100 m final.

4. The 1996 games in Atlanta were redemption for Canada's sprinters.
Donovan Bailey won gold in the 100 m. And Canada won gold
in the 4×100 m relay. Name any of the other three men on the
Canadian relay team in the final.

5. This British middle-distance runner won Olympic gold in the
1,500 m in 1980 and 1984. He also held the 800 m world record
for 16 years, went on to be an MP, and was named a life peer.
Now the president of the global body for track and field,
who is he?

6. In the women's 3,000 m race at the 1984 Olympics, US runner
Mary Decker lost her chance for gold in a collision with another
runner, who used to run barefoot. Name the other runner in
this infamous collision.

7. At the 2012 games in London, David Rudisha of Kenya won the
800 m in a world-record time. In minutes and seconds, within
plus or minus 1.1 seconds, what was that time? Hint: it is
less than 2 minutes.

8. At the 2012 games there was only one individual track event
in which the same country won gold, silver, and bronze. Name
the country *and* the event. Hint: it was one a men's event.

9. Andre De Grasse won three medals at the Rio games last year.
He now has a street named after him in his hometown in Southern
Ontario. What's the name of this municipality?

10. This British distance runner won gold in the men's 5,000 m and
10,000 m in 2012 and again in 2016. He's a huge fan of the
Arsenal soccer team and is considered one of the best distance
runners ever. Who is he?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net
Irving Thalberg's advice on GONE WITH THE WIND:

Dan Blum

Apr 27, 2017, 8:59:28 PM4/27/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Science - Science of Filmmaking

> 1. Name the famous scientist who experimentally confirmed the
> trichromatic theory (that retinal cones are only responsive
> to three colors), produced the first color photograph (in the
> mid-1800s), and paved the way for color film. He later became
> the founder of the study of electromagnetism.

Faraday

> 2. Kinemacolor, the first process to capture color on film, was an
> additive process. In the camera, one frame would be captured
> with a red filter and the next with green. When played back
> through a red-green flywheel, the result was a surprisingly
> good color image. Aside from the appearance of fringing around
> fast-moving objects, what was its major shortfall?

red and green objects looked gray

> 3. Gur arkg pbybe cebprff jnf na nqqvgvir bar cngragrq va 1922.
> Vg hfrq n ornz fcyvggre gb pncgher vzntrf ba gjb frcnengr
> svyz fgbpxf -- bar qlrq erq-benatr, gur bgure oyhr-terra.
> Gur gjb svyzf jrer przragrq gbtrgure naq pbhyq or cynlrq ba n
> fgnaqneq cebwrpgbe. Vg jnf yngre ersvarq vagb n uhtryl cbchyne
> guerr-fgevc flfgrz va 1932. Anzr gur cebprff.

Technicolor

> 4. Gur arkg pbybe svyz vaabingvba jnf Rnfgznapbybe svyz fgbpx
> va 1950. Vg jnf purncre guna Grpuavpbybe, qvqa'g erdhver
> fcrpvnyvmrq yvtug be yno cebprffrf, naq orpnzr gur fgnaqneq sbe
> svyz hagvy gur 1980f. Jung jnf vgf znwbe qenjonpx, cebzcgvat
> Znegva Fpbefrfr gb yrnq n pnzcnvta hetvat gur pbzcnal gb
> punatr vg?

it decayed quickly

> 6. Name the *company* that created CinemaScope in 1953. The process
> was a refinement of the French Anamorphoscope. The anamorphic
> camera lens employs an optical trick to produce an image twice
> as wide as a conventional lens and continues to be used today.

Kodak; Polaroid

> 7. This film format has its roots in a multi-projector, multi-screen
> work created for Expo 67. Technical difficulties led to
> the formation of the company Multiscreen to explore a simpler
> approach. It later settled on a single-screen, single-projector,
> single-camera system that increases film resolution by using
> a larger film frame. The format is still in use today; name it.

Imax

> 8. Film soundtracks didn't change much until the early 1970s when
> this firm proposed replacing the standard frequency response
> (as set by the Academy of Motion Pictures in 1938) with a
> noise-reduction track. Theatres were reluctant to upgrade,
> however, until the firm developed, together with Kodak, a
> Quadraphonic system in 1976. Name the firm.

Dolby

> 10. This branch of social science (closely related to linguistics)
> uses the concepts of cultural signs, codes, and conventions to
> explain why bad guys wear black hats -- and why Terrence Malick
> has a career. Name the science.

semiotics

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Track and Field at the Olympics

> 2. He set a world record in the decathlon in 1976, and might
> be even better-known now, but with a different first name.
> Give this person's last name.

Jenner

> 6. In the women's 3,000 m race at the 1984 Olympics, US runner
> Mary Decker lost her chance for gold in a collision with another
> runner, who used to run barefoot. Name the other runner in
> this infamous collision.

Zola Budd

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

Apr 27, 2017, 10:13:50 PM4/27/17
On Thursday, April 27, 2017 at 7:32:07 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Science - Science of Filmmaking
>
> 1. Name the famous scientist who experimentally confirmed the
> trichromatic theory (that retinal cones are only responsive
> to three colors), produced the first color photograph (in the
> mid-1800s), and paved the way for color film. He later became
> the founder of the study of electromagnetism.

Faraday (?)

> Please decode the rot13 for the next two questions *one at a time*,
> proceeding to each question only after you have answered the ones before.
>
> 3. Gur arkg pbybe cebprff jnf na nqqvgvir bar cngragrq va 1922.
> Vg hfrq n ornz fcyvggre gb pncgher vzntrf ba gjb frcnengr
> svyz fgbpxf -- bar qlrq erq-benatr, gur bgure oyhr-terra.
> Gur gjb svyzf jrer przragrq gbtrgure naq pbhyq or cynlrq ba n
> fgnaqneq cebwrpgbe. Vg jnf yngre ersvarq vagb n uhtryl cbchyne
> guerr-fgevc flfgrz va 1932. Anzr gur cebprff.

Technicolor

> 4. Gur arkg pbybe svyz vaabingvba jnf Rnfgznapbybe svyz fgbpx
> va 1950. Vg jnf purncre guna Grpuavpbybe, qvqa'g erdhver
> fcrpvnyvmrq yvtug be yno cebprffrf, naq orpnzr gur fgnaqneq sbe
> svyz hagvy gur 1980f. Jung jnf vgf znwbe qenjonpx, cebzcgvat
> Znegva Fpbefrfr gb yrnq n pnzcnvta hetvat gur pbzcnal gb
> punatr vg?

the colors faded

> 5. Ted Turner's controversial "Colorization" of black-and-white
> films led to selective color manipulation to create unique
> film tones. What was the first movie to be entirely digitally
> manipulated to achieve a golden, dusty, desaturated look,
> in 2000?

"Traffic" (?)

> 6. Name the *company* that created CinemaScope in 1953. The process
> was a refinement of the French Anamorphoscope. The anamorphic
> camera lens employs an optical trick to produce an image twice
> as wide as a conventional lens and continues to be used today.

20th Century Fox; Paramount

> 7. This film format has its roots in a multi-projector, multi-screen
> work created for Expo 67. Technical difficulties led to
> the formation of the company Multiscreen to explore a simpler
> approach. It later settled on a single-screen, single-projector,
> single-camera system that increases film resolution by using
> a larger film frame. The format is still in use today; name it.

IMAX

> 8. Film soundtracks didn't change much until the early 1970s when
> this firm proposed replacing the standard frequency response
> (as set by the Academy of Motion Pictures in 1938) with a
> noise-reduction track. Theatres were reluctant to upgrade,
> however, until the firm developed, together with Kodak, a
> Quadraphonic system in 1976. Name the firm.

Dolby

> 9. What is the name for the technique that combines a background
> image with that of an actor against a blue or green screen?
> The name reflects the fact that the images are combined or
> layered together based on color hues.

chroma key

> 10. This branch of social science (closely related to linguistics)
> uses the concepts of cultural signs, codes, and conventions to
> explain why bad guys wear black hats -- and why Terrence Malick
> has a career. Name the science.

semiotics

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Track and Field at the Olympics
>
> 2. He set a world record in the decathlon in 1976, and might
> be even better-known now, but with a different first name.
> Give this person's last name.

Jenner

> 5. This British middle-distance runner won Olympic gold in the
> 1,500 m in 1980 and 1984. He also held the 800 m world record
> for 16 years, went on to be an MP, and was named a life peer.
> Now the president of the global body for track and field,
> who is he?

Sebastian Coe

> 6. In the women's 3,000 m race at the 1984 Olympics, US runner
> Mary Decker lost her chance for gold in a collision with another
> runner, who used to run barefoot. Name the other runner in
> this infamous collision.

Zola Budd

> 7. At the 2012 games in London, David Rudisha of Kenya won the
> 800 m in a world-record time. In minutes and seconds, within
> plus or minus 1.1 seconds, what was that time? Hint: it is
> less than 2 minutes.

1 minute 40 seconds; 1 minute 38 seconds

> 8. At the 2012 games there was only one individual track event
> in which the same country won gold, silver, and bronze. Name
> the country *and* the event. Hint: it was one a men's event.

Jamaica -- 100 m

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Calvin

Apr 28, 2017, 12:30:02 AM4/28/17
On Friday, April 28, 2017 at 10:32:07 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Science - Science of Filmmaking
>
> 1. Name the famous scientist who experimentally confirmed the
> trichromatic theory (that retinal cones are only responsive
> to three colors), produced the first color photograph (in the
> mid-1800s), and paved the way for color film. He later became
> the founder of the study of electromagnetism.

Faraday, Thomson

> 2. Kinemacolor, the first process to capture color on film, was an
> additive process. In the camera, one frame would be captured
> with a red filter and the next with green. When played back
> through a red-green flywheel, the result was a surprisingly
> good color image. Aside from the appearance of fringing around
> fast-moving objects, what was its major shortfall?

Flammability

> Please decode the rot13 for the next two questions *one at a time*,
> proceeding to each question only after you have answered the ones before.
>
> 3. Gur arkg pbybe cebprff jnf na nqqvgvir bar cngragrq va 1922.
> Vg hfrq n ornz fcyvggre gb pncgher vzntrf ba gjb frcnengr
> svyz fgbpxf -- bar qlrq erq-benatr, gur bgure oyhr-terra.
> Gur gjb svyzf jrer przragrq gbtrgure naq pbhyq or cynlrq ba n
> fgnaqneq cebwrpgbe. Vg jnf yngre ersvarq vagb n uhtryl cbchyne
> guerr-fgevc flfgrz va 1932. Anzr gur cebprff.

Technicolor

> 4. Gur arkg pbybe svyz vaabingvba jnf Rnfgznapbybe svyz fgbpx
> va 1950. Vg jnf purncre guna Grpuavpbybe, qvqa'g erdhver
> fcrpvnyvmrq yvtug be yno cebprffrf, naq orpnzr gur fgnaqneq sbe
> svyz hagvy gur 1980f. Jung jnf vgf znwbe qenjonpx, cebzcgvat
> Znegva Fpbefrfr gb yrnq n pnzcnvta hetvat gur pbzcnal gb
> punatr vg?

Flammability

> 5. Ted Turner's controversial "Colorization" of black-and-white
> films led to selective color manipulation to create unique
> film tones. What was the first movie to be entirely digitally
> manipulated to achieve a golden, dusty, desaturated look,
> in 2000?

Gone With the Wind

> 6. Name the *company* that created CinemaScope in 1953. The process
> was a refinement of the French Anamorphoscope. The anamorphic
> camera lens employs an optical trick to produce an image twice
> as wide as a conventional lens and continues to be used today.

Kodak

> 7. This film format has its roots in a multi-projector, multi-screen
> work created for Expo 67. Technical difficulties led to
> the formation of the company Multiscreen to explore a simpler
> approach. It later settled on a single-screen, single-projector,
> single-camera system that increases film resolution by using
> a larger film frame. The format is still in use today; name it.

> 8. Film soundtracks didn't change much until the early 1970s when
> this firm proposed replacing the standard frequency response
> (as set by the Academy of Motion Pictures in 1938) with a
> noise-reduction track. Theatres were reluctant to upgrade,
> however, until the firm developed, together with Kodak, a
> Quadraphonic system in 1976. Name the firm.

Dolby

> 9. What is the name for the technique that combines a background
> image with that of an actor against a blue or green screen?
> The name reflects the fact that the images are combined or
> layered together based on color hues.
>
> 10. This branch of social science (closely related to linguistics)
> uses the concepts of cultural signs, codes, and conventions to
> explain why bad guys wear black hats -- and why Terrence Malick
> has a career. Name the science.
>

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Track and Field at the Olympics
>
> 1. This high jumper won a silver medal for Canada at the 1976
> Olympics in Montreal. His performance was also featured for
> many years on TV stations as they signed off for the night.
>
> 2. He set a world record in the decathlon in 1976, and might
> be even better-known now, but with a different first name.
> Give this person's last name.

Jenner

> 3. The 1988 Summer Olympics are notorious for the positive drug
> test of Ben Johnson, resulting in his disqualification and the
> gold medal being awarded to Carl Lewis. To this day there are
> suspicions that everyone else in the final was also cheating.
> Name any one of the other six sprinters in that 100 m final.

Smith, Christie

> 4. The 1996 games in Atlanta were redemption for Canada's sprinters.
> Donovan Bailey won gold in the 100 m. And Canada won gold
> in the 4×100 m relay. Name any of the other three men on the
> Canadian relay team in the final.
>
> 5. This British middle-distance runner won Olympic gold in the
> 1,500 m in 1980 and 1984. He also held the 800 m world record
> for 16 years, went on to be an MP, and was named a life peer.
> Now the president of the global body for track and field,
> who is he?

Coe

> 6. In the women's 3,000 m race at the 1984 Olympics, US runner
> Mary Decker lost her chance for gold in a collision with another
> runner, who used to run barefoot. Name the other runner in
> this infamous collision.

Budd

> 7. At the 2012 games in London, David Rudisha of Kenya won the
> 800 m in a world-record time. In minutes and seconds, within
> plus or minus 1.1 seconds, what was that time? Hint: it is
> less than 2 minutes.

1:39.00, 1:41.20

> 8. At the 2012 games there was only one individual track event
> in which the same country won gold, silver, and bronze. Name
> the country *and* the event. Hint: it was one a men's event.

Men's 400 metres

> 9. Andre De Grasse won three medals at the Rio games last year.
> He now has a street named after him in his hometown in Southern
> Ontario. What's the name of this municipality?
>
> 10. This British distance runner won gold in the men's 5,000 m and
> 10,000 m in 2012 and again in 2016. He's a huge fan of the
> Arsenal soccer team and is considered one of the best distance
> runners ever. Who is he?

Farrah

cheers,
calvin

Erland Sommarskog

Apr 28, 2017, 11:43:49 AM4/28/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 1. Name the famous scientist who experimentally confirmed the
> trichromatic theory (that retinal cones are only responsive
> to three colors), produced the first color photograph (in the
> mid-1800s), and paved the way for color film. He later became
> the founder of the study of electromagnetism.

Thompson

> 8. Film soundtracks didn't change much until the early 1970s when
> this firm proposed replacing the standard frequency response
> (as set by the Academy of Motion Pictures in 1938) with a
> noise-reduction track. Theatres were reluctant to upgrade,
> however, until the firm developed, together with Kodak, a
> Quadraphonic system in 1976. Name the firm.

Dolby

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Track and Field at the Olympics
> 2. He set a world record in the decathlon in 1976, and might
> be even better-known now, but with a different first name.
> Give this person's last name.

Jenner

> 3. The 1988 Summer Olympics are notorious for the positive drug
> test of Ben Johnson, resulting in his disqualification and the
> gold medal being awarded to Carl Lewis. To this day there are
> suspicions that everyone else in the final was also cheating.
> Name any one of the other six sprinters in that 100 m final.

Tommy Lee

> 5. This British middle-distance runner won Olympic gold in the
> 1,500 m in 1980 and 1984. He also held the 800 m world record
> for 16 years, went on to be an MP, and was named a life peer.
> Now the president of the global body for track and field,
> who is he?

Sebastian Coe

> 6. In the women's 3,000 m race at the 1984 Olympics, US runner
> Mary Decker lost her chance for gold in a collision with another
> runner, who used to run barefoot. Name the other runner in
> this infamous collision.

Zora Budd

> 7. At the 2012 games in London, David Rudisha of Kenya won the
> 800 m in a world-record time. In minutes and seconds, within
> plus or minus 1.1 seconds, what was that time? Hint: it is
> less than 2 minutes.

1:43:00

> 8. At the 2012 games there was only one individual track event
> in which the same country won gold, silver, and bronze. Name
> the country *and* the event. Hint: it was one a men's event.

Jamiaca

> 10. This British distance runner won gold in the men's 5,000 m and
> 10,000 m in 2012 and again in 2016. He's a huge fan of the
> Arsenal soccer team and is considered one of the best distance
> runners ever. Who is he?

Moh Farah

Peter Smyth

Apr 28, 2017, 12:53:52 PM4/28/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-01-16,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Science - Science of Filmmaking
>
> 1. Name the famous scientist who experimentally confirmed the
> trichromatic theory (that retinal cones are only responsive
> to three colors), produced the first color photograph (in the
> mid-1800s), and paved the way for color film. He later became
> the founder of the study of electromagnetism.
Maxwell
> 2. Kinemacolor, the first process to capture color on film, was an
> additive process. In the camera, one frame would be captured
> with a red filter and the next with green. When played back
> through a red-green flywheel, the result was a surprisingly
> good color image. Aside from the appearance of fringing around
> fast-moving objects, what was its major shortfall?
It couldn't show blue objects correctly
> Please decode the rot13 for the next two questions *one at a time*,
> proceeding to each question only after you have answered the ones
> before.
>
> 3. The next color process was an additive one patented in 1922.
> It used a beam splitter to capture images on two separate
> film stocks -- one dyed red-orange, the other blue-green.
> The two films were cemented together and could be played on a
> standard projector. It was later refined into a hugely popular
> three-strip system in 1932. Name the process.
Technicolor
> 4. The next color film innovation was Eastmancolor film stock
> in 1950. It was cheaper than Technicolor, didn't require
> specialized light or lab processes, and became the standard for
> film until the 1980s. What was its major drawback, prompting
> Martin Scorsese to lead a campaign urging the company to
> change it?
>
> 5. Ted Turner's controversial "Colorization" of black-and-white
> films led to selective color manipulation to create unique
> film tones. What was the first movie to be entirely digitally
> manipulated to achieve a golden, dusty, desaturated look,
> in 2000?
Casablanca
> 6. Name the company that created CinemaScope in 1953. The process
> was a refinement of the French Anamorphoscope. The anamorphic
> camera lens employs an optical trick to produce an image twice
> as wide as a conventional lens and continues to be used today.
Panavision
> 7. This film format has its roots in a multi-projector, multi-screen
> work created for Expo 67. Technical difficulties led to
> the formation of the company Multiscreen to explore a simpler
> approach. It later settled on a single-screen, single-projector,
> single-camera system that increases film resolution by using
> a larger film frame. The format is still in use today; name it.
Super 8
> 8. Film soundtracks didn't change much until the early 1970s when
> this firm proposed replacing the standard frequency response
> (as set by the Academy of Motion Pictures in 1938) with a
> noise-reduction track. Theatres were reluctant to upgrade,
> however, until the firm developed, together with Kodak, a
> Quadraphonic system in 1976. Name the firm.
Dolby
> 9. What is the name for the technique that combines a background
> image with that of an actor against a blue or green screen?
> The name reflects the fact that the images are combined or
> layered together based on color hues.
>
> 10. This branch of social science (closely related to linguistics)
> uses the concepts of cultural signs, codes, and conventions to
> explain why bad guys wear black hats -- and why Terrence Malick
> has a career. Name the science.
>

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Track and Field at the Olympics
>
> 1. This high jumper won a silver medal for Canada at the 1976
> Olympics in Montreal. His performance was also featured for
> many years on TV stations as they signed off for the night.
Dick Fosbury
> 2. He set a world record in the decathlon in 1976, and might
> be even better-known now, but with a different first name.
> Give this person's last name.
Jenner
> 3. The 1988 Summer Olympics are notorious for the positive drug
> test of Ben Johnson, resulting in his disqualification and the
> gold medal being awarded to Carl Lewis. To this day there are
> suspicions that everyone else in the final was also cheating.
> Name any one of the other six sprinters in that 100 m final.
Linford Christie
> 4. The 1996 games in Atlanta were redemption for Canada's sprinters.
> Donovan Bailey won gold in the 100 m. And Canada won gold
> in the 4×100 m relay. Name any of the other three men on the
> Canadian relay team in the final.
Bruny Surin
> 5. This British middle-distance runner won Olympic gold in the
> 1,500 m in 1980 and 1984. He also held the 800 m world record
> for 16 years, went on to be an MP, and was named a life peer.
> Now the president of the global body for track and field,
> who is he?
Sebastian Coe
> 6. In the women's 3,000 m race at the 1984 Olympics, US runner
> Mary Decker lost her chance for gold in a collision with another
> runner, who used to run barefoot. Name the other runner in
> this infamous collision.
Zola Budd
> 7. At the 2012 games in London, David Rudisha of Kenya won the
> 800 m in a world-record time. In minutes and seconds, within
> plus or minus 1.1 seconds, what was that time? Hint: it is
> less than 2 minutes.
1:40.00
> 8. At the 2012 games there was only one individual track event
> in which the same country won gold, silver, and bronze. Name
> the country and the event. Hint: it was one a men's event.
Kenya, 3000m Steeplechase
> 9. Andre De Grasse won three medals at the Rio games last year.
> He now has a street named after him in his hometown in Southern
> Ontario. What's the name of this municipality?
>
> 10. This British distance runner won gold in the men's 5,000 m and
> 10,000 m in 2012 and again in 2016. He's a huge fan of the
> Arsenal soccer team and is considered one of the best distance
> runners ever. Who is he?
Mo Farah

Peter Smyth

Gareth Owen

Apr 28, 2017, 4:38:25 PM4/28/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> 1. Name the famous scientist who experimentally confirmed the
> trichromatic theory (that retinal cones are only responsive
> to three colors), produced the first color photograph (in the
> mid-1800s), and paved the way for color film. He later became
> the founder of the study of electromagnetism.

James Clark Maxwell

> 2. Kinemacolor, the first process to capture color on film, was an
> additive process. In the camera, one frame would be captured
> with a red filter and the next with green. When played back
> through a red-green flywheel, the result was a surprisingly
> good color image. Aside from the appearance of fringing around
> fast-moving objects, what was its major shortfall?

Multi-lens projectors

> Please decode the rot13 for the next two questions *one at a time*,
> proceeding to each question only after you have answered the ones before.
>
> 3. Gur arkg pbybe cebprff jnf na nqqvgvir bar cngragrq va 1922.
> Vg hfrq n ornz fcyvggre gb pncgher vzntrf ba gjb frcnengr
> svyz fgbpxf -- bar qlrq erq-benatr, gur bgure oyhr-terra.
> Gur gjb svyzf jrer przragrq gbtrgure naq pbhyq or cynlrq ba n
> fgnaqneq cebwrpgbe. Vg jnf yngre ersvarq vagb n uhtryl cbchyne
> guerr-fgevc flfgrz va 1932. Anzr gur cebprff.

Technicolor

> 4. Gur arkg pbybe svyz vaabingvba jnf Rnfgznapbybe svyz fgbpx
> va 1950. Vg jnf purncre guna Grpuavpbybe, qvqa'g erdhver
> fcrpvnyvmrq yvtug be yno cebprffrf, naq orpnzr gur fgnaqneq sbe
> svyz hagvy gur 1980f. Jung jnf vgf znwbe qenjonpx, cebzcgvat
> Znegva Fpbefrfr gb yrnq n pnzcnvta hetvat gur pbzcnal gb
> punatr vg?

It degraded

> 5. Ted Turner's controversial "Colorization" of black-and-white
> films led to selective color manipulation to create unique
> film tones. What was the first movie to be entirely digitally
> manipulated to achieve a golden, dusty, desaturated look,
> in 2000?

No idea

> 6. Name the *company* that created CinemaScope in 1953. The process
> was a refinement of the French Anamorphoscope. The anamorphic
> camera lens employs an optical trick to produce an image twice
> as wide as a conventional lens and continues to be used today.

Eastman, Kodak

> 7. This film format has its roots in a multi-projector, multi-screen
> work created for Expo 67. Technical difficulties led to
> the formation of the company Multiscreen to explore a simpler
> approach. It later settled on a single-screen, single-projector,
> single-camera system that increases film resolution by using
> a larger film frame. The format is still in use today; name it.

Panavision

> 8. Film soundtracks didn't change much until the early 1970s when
> this firm proposed replacing the standard frequency response
> (as set by the Academy of Motion Pictures in 1938) with a
> noise-reduction track. Theatres were reluctant to upgrade,
> however, until the firm developed, together with Kodak, a
> Quadraphonic system in 1976. Name the firm.

Dobly

> 9. What is the name for the technique that combines a background
> image with that of an actor against a blue or green screen?
> The name reflects the fact that the images are combined or
> layered together based on color hues.

Chromakey

> 10. This branch of social science (closely related to linguistics)
> uses the concepts of cultural signs, codes, and conventions to
> explain why bad guys wear black hats -- and why Terrence Malick
> has a career. Name the science.

Semiotics

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Track and Field at the Olympics
>
> 1. This high jumper won a silver medal for Canada at the 1976
> Olympics in Montreal. His performance was also featured for
> many years on TV stations as they signed off for the night.
>
> 2. He set a world record in the decathlon in 1976, and might
> be even better-known now, but with a different first name.
> Give this person's last name.

Jenner

> 3. The 1988 Summer Olympics are notorious for the positive drug
> test of Ben Johnson, resulting in his disqualification and the
> gold medal being awarded to Carl Lewis. To this day there are
> suspicions that everyone else in the final was also cheating.
> Name any one of the other six sprinters in that 100 m final.

Linford Christie

> 4. The 1996 games in Atlanta were redemption for Canada's sprinters.
> Donovan Bailey won gold in the 100 m. And Canada won gold
> in the 4×100 m relay. Name any of the other three men on the
> Canadian relay team in the final.

Aaah. I should know this....

> 5. This British middle-distance runner won Olympic gold in the
> 1,500 m in 1980 and 1984. He also held the 800 m world record
> for 16 years, went on to be an MP, and was named a life peer.
> Now the president of the global body for track and field,
> who is he?

Sebastian Newbold Coe (Lord Coe)

> 6. In the women's 3,000 m race at the 1984 Olympics, US runner
> Mary Decker lost her chance for gold in a collision with another
> runner, who used to run barefoot. Name the other runner in
> this infamous collision.

Zola Budd

> 7. At the 2012 games in London, David Rudisha of Kenya won the
> 800 m in a world-record time. In minutes and seconds, within
> plus or minus 1.1 seconds, what was that time? Hint: it is
> less than 2 minutes.

1:41

> 8. At the 2012 games there was only one individual track event
> in which the same country won gold, silver, and bronze. Name
> the country *and* the event. Hint: it was one a men's event.

110m hurdles

> 9. Andre De Grasse won three medals at the Rio games last year.
> He now has a street named after him in his hometown in Southern
> Ontario. What's the name of this municipality?
>
> 10. This British distance runner won gold in the men's 5,000 m and
> 10,000 m in 2012 and again in 2016. He's a huge fan of the
> Arsenal soccer team and is considered one of the best distance
> runners ever. Who is he?

Mohammed Farah

Jason Kreitzer

Apr 28, 2017, 8:37:15 PM4/28/17
IMAX
> 8. Film soundtracks didn't change much until the early 1970s when
> this firm proposed replacing the standard frequency response
> (as set by the Academy of Motion Pictures in 1938) with a
> noise-reduction track. Theatres were reluctant to upgrade,
> however, until the firm developed, together with Kodak, a
> Quadraphonic system in 1976. Name the firm.
>
> 9. What is the name for the technique that combines a background
> image with that of an actor against a blue or green screen?
> The name reflects the fact that the images are combined or
> layered together based on color hues.
>
> 10. This branch of social science (closely related to linguistics)
> uses the concepts of cultural signs, codes, and conventions to
> explain why bad guys wear black hats -- and why Terrence Malick
> has a career. Name the science.
>

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Track and Field at the Olympics
>
> 1. This high jumper won a silver medal for Canada at the 1976
> Olympics in Montreal. His performance was also featured for
> many years on TV stations as they signed off for the night.
>
> 2. He set a world record in the decathlon in 1976, and might
> be even better-known now, but with a different first name.
> Give this person's last name.
Jenner

Dan Tilque

Apr 29, 2017, 2:17:07 AM4/29/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Science - Science of Filmmaking
>
> 1. Name the famous scientist who experimentally confirmed the
> trichromatic theory (that retinal cones are only responsive
> to three colors), produced the first color photograph (in the
> mid-1800s), and paved the way for color film. He later became
> the founder of the study of electromagnetism.

Maxwell

> 2. Kinemacolor, the first process to capture color on film, was an
> additive process. In the camera, one frame would be captured
> with a red filter and the next with green. When played back
> through a red-green flywheel, the result was a surprisingly
> good color image. Aside from the appearance of fringing around
> fast-moving objects, what was its major shortfall?

no blue colors

> Please decode the rot13 for the next two questions *one at a time*,
> proceeding to each question only after you have answered the ones before.
>
> 3. Gur arkg pbybe cebprff jnf na nqqvgvir bar cngragrq va 1922.
> Vg hfrq n ornz fcyvggre gb pncgher vzntrf ba gjb frcnengr
> svyz fgbpxf -- bar qlrq erq-benatr, gur bgure oyhr-terra.
> Gur gjb svyzf jrer przragrq gbtrgure naq pbhyq or cynlrq ba n
> fgnaqneq cebwrpgbe. Vg jnf yngre ersvarq vagb n uhtryl cbchyne
> guerr-fgevc flfgrz va 1932. Anzr gur cebprff.

Technicolor

> 4. Gur arkg pbybe svyz vaabingvba jnf Rnfgznapbybe svyz fgbpx
> va 1950. Vg jnf purncre guna Grpuavpbybe, qvqa'g erdhver
> fcrpvnyvmrq yvtug be yno cebprffrf, naq orpnzr gur fgnaqneq sbe
> svyz hagvy gur 1980f. Jung jnf vgf znwbe qenjonpx, cebzcgvat
> Znegva Fpbefrfr gb yrnq n pnzcnvta hetvat gur pbzcnal gb
> punatr vg?

the film degraded too quickly

> 5. Ted Turner's controversial "Colorization" of black-and-white
> films led to selective color manipulation to create unique
> film tones. What was the first movie to be entirely digitally
> manipulated to achieve a golden, dusty, desaturated look,
> in 2000?

Casablanca

> 6. Name the *company* that created CinemaScope in 1953. The process
> was a refinement of the French Anamorphoscope. The anamorphic
> camera lens employs an optical trick to produce an image twice
> as wide as a conventional lens and continues to be used today.
>
> 7. This film format has its roots in a multi-projector, multi-screen
> work created for Expo 67. Technical difficulties led to
> the formation of the company Multiscreen to explore a simpler
> approach. It later settled on a single-screen, single-projector,
> single-camera system that increases film resolution by using
> a larger film frame. The format is still in use today; name it.

IMAX

> 8. Film soundtracks didn't change much until the early 1970s when
> this firm proposed replacing the standard frequency response
> (as set by the Academy of Motion Pictures in 1938) with a
> noise-reduction track. Theatres were reluctant to upgrade,
> however, until the firm developed, together with Kodak, a
> Quadraphonic system in 1976. Name the firm.

Dolby

> 9. What is the name for the technique that combines a background
> image with that of an actor against a blue or green screen?
> The name reflects the fact that the images are combined or
> layered together based on color hues.
>
> 10. This branch of social science (closely related to linguistics)
> uses the concepts of cultural signs, codes, and conventions to
> explain why bad guys wear black hats -- and why Terrence Malick
> has a career. Name the science.
>

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Track and Field at the Olympics
>
> 1. This high jumper won a silver medal for Canada at the 1976
> Olympics in Montreal. His performance was also featured for
> many years on TV stations as they signed off for the night.
>
> 2. He set a world record in the decathlon in 1976, and might
> be even better-known now, but with a different first name.
> Give this person's last name.

Jenner

> 3. The 1988 Summer Olympics are notorious for the positive drug
> test of Ben Johnson, resulting in his disqualification and the
> gold medal being awarded to Carl Lewis. To this day there are
> suspicions that everyone else in the final was also cheating.
> Name any one of the other six sprinters in that 100 m final.
>
> 4. The 1996 games in Atlanta were redemption for Canada's sprinters.
> Donovan Bailey won gold in the 100 m. And Canada won gold
> in the 4×100 m relay. Name any of the other three men on the
> Canadian relay team in the final.
>
> 5. This British middle-distance runner won Olympic gold in the
> 1,500 m in 1980 and 1984. He also held the 800 m world record
> for 16 years, went on to be an MP, and was named a life peer.
> Now the president of the global body for track and field,
> who is he?

Sebastian Coe

> 6. In the women's 3,000 m race at the 1984 Olympics, US runner
> Mary Decker lost her chance for gold in a collision with another
> runner, who used to run barefoot. Name the other runner in
> this infamous collision.
>
> 7. At the 2012 games in London, David Rudisha of Kenya won the
> 800 m in a world-record time. In minutes and seconds, within
> plus or minus 1.1 seconds, what was that time? Hint: it is
> less than 2 minutes.

1 min 33 sec

> 8. At the 2012 games there was only one individual track event
> in which the same country won gold, silver, and bronze. Name
> the country *and* the event. Hint: it was one a men's event.
>
> 9. Andre De Grasse won three medals at the Rio games last year.
> He now has a street named after him in his hometown in Southern
> Ontario. What's the name of this municipality?
>
> 10. This British distance runner won gold in the men's 5,000 m and
> 10,000 m in 2012 and again in 2016. He's a huge fan of the
> Arsenal soccer team and is considered one of the best distance
> runners ever. Who is he?

Farah

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Apr 30, 2017, 10:53:47 PM4/30/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-01-16,
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Science - Science of Filmmaking

> 1. Name the famous scientist who experimentally confirmed the
> trichromatic theory (that retinal cones are only responsive
> to three colors), produced the first color photograph (in the
> mid-1800s), and paved the way for color film. He later became
> the founder of the study of electromagnetism.

James Maxwell. 4 for Peter, Gareth, and Dan Tilque.

> 2. Kinemacolor, the first process to capture color on film, was an
> additive process. In the camera, one frame would be captured
> with a red filter and the next with green. When played back
> through a red-green flywheel, the result was a surprisingly
> good color image. Aside from the appearance of fringing around
> fast-moving objects, what was its major shortfall?

It couldn't render blue. 4 for Peter and Dan Tilque.

> 3. The next color process was an additive one patented in 1922.
> It used a beam splitter to capture images on two separate
> film stocks -- one dyed red-orange, the other blue-green.
> The two films were cemented together and could be played on a
> standard projector. It was later refined into a hugely popular
> three-strip system in 1932. Name the process.

Technicolor. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Calvin, Peter, Gareth,
and Dan Tilque.

> 4. The next color film innovation was Eastmancolor film stock
> in 1950. It was cheaper than Technicolor, didn't require
> specialized light or lab processes, and became the standard for
> film until the 1980s. What was its major drawback, prompting
> Martin Scorsese to lead a campaign urging the company to
> change it?

It wasn't very stable over time and faded quickly if not stored
properly. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Gareth, and Dan Tilque.

The company was Kodak, of course.

> 5. Ted Turner's controversial "Colorization" of black-and-white
> films led to selective color manipulation to create unique
> film tones. What was the first movie to be entirely digitally
> manipulated to achieve a golden, dusty, desaturated look,
> in 2000?

"O Brother Where Art Thou?".

One entrant guessed "Traffic", which came out the same year.
Its color was similarly manipulated, but this was done to obtain
different looks in different scenes.

> 6. Name the *company* that created CinemaScope in 1953. The process
> was a refinement of the French Anamorphoscope. The anamorphic
> camera lens employs an optical trick to produce an image twice
> as wide as a conventional lens and continues to be used today.

20th Century Fox. 3 for Joshua.

> 7. This film format has its roots in a multi-projector, multi-screen
> work created for Expo 67. Technical difficulties led to
> the formation of the company Multiscreen to explore a simpler
> approach. It later settled on a single-screen, single-projector,
> single-camera system that increases film resolution by using
> a larger film frame. The format is still in use today; name it.

IMAX. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Jason, and Dan Tilque.

> 8. Film soundtracks didn't change much until the early 1970s when
> this firm proposed replacing the standard frequency response
> (as set by the Academy of Motion Pictures in 1938) with a
> noise-reduction track. Theatres were reluctant to upgrade,
> however, until the firm developed, together with Kodak, a
> Quadraphonic system in 1976. Name the firm.

Dolby Labs. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Calvin, Erland, Peter, Gather,
and Dan Tilque.

> 9. What is the name for the technique that combines a background
> image with that of an actor against a blue or green screen?
> The name reflects the fact that the images are combined or
> layered together based on color hues.

Chroma-key (compositing). 4 for Joshua and Gareth.

> 10. This branch of social science (closely related to linguistics)
> uses the concepts of cultural signs, codes, and conventions to
> explain why bad guys wear black hats -- and why Terrence Malick
> has a career. Name the science.

Semiotics. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Gareth.

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Track and Field at the Olympics

> 1. This high jumper won a silver medal for Canada at the 1976
> Olympics in Montreal. His performance was also featured for
> many years on TV stations as they signed off for the night.

Greg Joy.

> 2. He set a world record in the decathlon in 1976, and might
> be even better-known now, but with a different first name.
> Give this person's last name.

(Caitlyn, formerly Bruce) Jenner. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum,
Joshua, Calvin, Erland, Peter, Gareth, Jason, and Dan Tilque.

> 3. The 1988 Summer Olympics are notorious for the positive drug
> test of Ben Johnson, resulting in his disqualification and the
> gold medal being awarded to Carl Lewis. To this day there are
> suspicions that everyone else in the final was also cheating.
> Name any one of the other six sprinters in that 100 m final.

In order from silver (was bronze) medal to 7th (was 8th) place:
Linford Christie, Calvin Smith, Dennis Mitchell, Róbson da Silva,
Desai Williams, Ray Stewart. 4 for Calvin (the hard way), Peter,
and Gareth.

> 4. The 1996 games in Atlanta were redemption for Canada's sprinters.
> Donovan Bailey won gold in the 100 m. And Canada won gold
> in the 4×100 m relay. Name any of the other three men on the
> Canadian relay team in the final.

Robert Esmie, Glenroy Gilbert, Bruny Surin. 4 for Peter.

> 5. This British middle-distance runner won Olympic gold in the
> 1,500 m in 1980 and 1984. He also held the 800 m world record
> for 16 years, went on to be an MP, and was named a life peer.
> Now the president of the global body for track and field,
> who is he?

Lord Sebastian Coe. 4 for Joshua, Calvin, Erland, Peter, Gareth,
and Dan Tilque.

> 6. In the women's 3,000 m race at the 1984 Olympics, US runner
> Mary Decker lost her chance for gold in a collision with another
> runner, who used to run barefoot. Name the other runner in
> this infamous collision.

Zola Budd. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Calvin, Erland, Peter, and Gareth.

> 7. At the 2012 games in London, David Rudisha of Kenya won the
> 800 m in a world-record time. In minutes and seconds, within
> plus or minus 1.1 seconds, what was that time? Hint: it is
> less than 2 minutes.

1:40.91 s. (Accepting 1:39.81 - 1:42.01.) 4 for Peter and Gareth.
3 for Joshua. 2 for Calvin.

> 8. At the 2012 games there was only one individual track event
> in which the same country won gold, silver, and bronze. Name
> the country *and* the event. Hint: it was one a men's event.

Jamaica, 200 m. (From gold to bronze: Usain Bolt, Yohan Blake,
Warren Weir.)

> 9. Andre De Grasse won three medals at the Rio games last year.
> He now has a street named after him in his hometown in Southern
> Ontario. What's the name of this municipality?

Markham.

> 10. This British distance runner won gold in the men's 5,000 m and
> 10,000 m in 2012 and again in 2016. He's a huge fan of the
> Arsenal soccer team and is considered one of the best distance
> runners ever. Who is he?

Sir Mohamed Farah. 4 for Calvin, Erland, Peter, Gareth,
and Dan Tilque.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 1 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> His Geo Sci Spo
Joshua Kreitzer 28 28 27 15 98
Peter Smyth 20 27 16 28 91
"Calvin" 22 14 8 22 66
Dan Tilque 19 8 24 12 63
Dan Blum 22 4 20 8 54
Gareth Owen -- -- 24 24 48
Erland Sommarskog 18 0 4 16 38
Bruce Bowler 16 20 -- -- 36
Pete Gayde 28 6 -- -- 34
Marc Dashevsky 16 12 -- -- 28
Jason Kreitzer -- -- 4 4 8

--
Mark Brader | "It is in the nature of precaution
Toronto | that the more successful it is

Marc Dashevsky

May 1, 2017, 12:27:44 PM5/1/17
In article <1radnZOlwO4dEJ_E...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> [...]

Dolby

> 9. What is the name for the technique that combines a background
> image with that of an actor against a blue or green screen?
> The name reflects the fact that the images are combined or
> layered together based on color hues.
>
> 10. This branch of social science (closely related to linguistics)
> uses the concepts of cultural signs, codes, and conventions to
> explain why bad guys wear black hats -- and why Terrence Malick
> has a career. Name the science.
>

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Sports - Track and Field at the Olympics
>
> 1. This high jumper won a silver medal for Canada at the 1976
> Olympics in Montreal. His performance was also featured for
> many years on TV stations as they signed off for the night.
>
> 2. He set a world record in the decathlon in 1976, and might
> be even better-known now, but with a different first name.
Jenner

> 3. The 1988 Summer Olympics are notorious for the positive drug
> test of Ben Johnson, resulting in his disqualification and the
> gold medal being awarded to Carl Lewis. To this day there are
> suspicions that everyone else in the final was also cheating.
> Name any one of the other six sprinters in that 100 m final.
>
> 4. The 1996 games in Atlanta were redemption for Canada's sprinters.
> Donovan Bailey won gold in the 100 m. And Canada won gold
> in the 4×100 m relay. Name any of the other three men on the
> Canadian relay team in the final.
>
> 5. This British middle-distance runner won Olympic gold in the
> 1,500 m in 1980 and 1984. He also held the 800 m world record
> for 16 years, went on to be an MP, and was named a life peer.
> Now the president of the global body for track and field,
> who is he?
>
> 6. In the women's 3,000 m race at the 1984 Olympics, US runner
> Mary Decker lost her chance for gold in a collision with another
> runner, who used to run barefoot. Name the other runner in
> this infamous collision.
Zola Budd

> 7. At the 2012 games in London, David Rudisha of Kenya won the
> 800 m in a world-record time. In minutes and seconds, within
> plus or minus 1.1 seconds, what was that time? Hint: it is
> less than 2 minutes.
>
> 8. At the 2012 games there was only one individual track event
> in which the same country won gold, silver, and bronze. Name
> the country *and* the event. Hint: it was one a men's event.
>
> 9. Andre De Grasse won three medals at the Rio games last year.
> He now has a street named after him in his hometown in Southern
> Ontario. What's the name of this municipality?
>
> 10. This British distance runner won gold in the men's 5,000 m and
> 10,000 m in 2012 and again in 2016. He's a huge fan of the
> Arsenal soccer team and is considered one of the best distance
> runners ever. Who is he?

Mark Brader

May 1, 2017, 2:14:22 PM5/1/17
If Marc Dashevsky's answers had been posted on time, he would have
scored 12 on Round 4 and 8 on Round 6.
--
Mark Brader "This is... a film... almost without explosions."
Toronto, m...@vex.net --Mark Leeper