Calvin's Quiz #447

Calvin

Jul 7, 2016, 9:34:37 PM7/7/16

1 The words klutz and bagel were absorbed into English from which other language?
2 What is the more common name for the "Cyathea dealbata", the unofficial floral emblem of New Zealand?
3 Which 1995 animated film was their first Disney movie to be based on the life of a real person?
4 In a standard tennis match what is the maximum number of consecutive set points one player might have?
5 By what name is the Dutch-speaking area in Belgium's north known?
6 What is one gross times one score?
7 “There and Back Again” is an alternative title of which 1937 fantasy novel?
8 In 2022 which city will become the first to have hosted both the summer and winter Olympic Games?
9 Which 8-letter word refers to someone who renounces their religion?
10 According to a 1794 poem by William Blake, which animal is “burning bright, In the forests of the night"?

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Jul 7, 2016, 10:11:35 PM7/7/16
"Calvin":
> 1 The words klutz and bagel were absorbed into English from
> which other language?

Yiddish.

> 2 What is the more common name for the "Cyathea dealbata", the
> unofficial floral emblem of New Zealand?

Silver fern?

> 3 Which 1995 animated film was their first Disney movie to be
> based on the life of a real person?

"Pocahontas"?

> 4 In a standard tennis match what is the maximum number of
> consecutive set points one player might have?

> 5 By what name is the Dutch-speaking area in Belgium's north known?

Oh, here we go again, which is which? I'll say Flanders.

> 6 What is one gross times one score?

2,880.

> 7 "There and Back Again" is an alternative title of which
> 1937 fantasy novel?

"The Hobbit".

> 8 In 2022 which city will become the first to have hosted both
> the summer and winter Olympic Games?

Beijing.

> 9 Which 8-letter word refers to someone who renounces their religion?

Sensible. Also apostate.

> 10 According to a 1794 poem by William Blake, which animal is
> "burning bright, In the forests of the night"?

Tyger.
--
Mark Brader | "Grammar am for people who can't think for *myself*.
Toronto | Understanded me?"

Gareth Owen

Jul 8, 2016, 1:33:33 AM7/8/16
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:

> 1 The words klutz and bagel were absorbed into English from which
> other language?

Yiddish

> 2 What is the more common name for the "Cyathea dealbata", the
> unofficial floral emblem of New Zealand?

Silver fern - obviously I know this because of my deep knowledge of
botany, and not because its front-and-centre on an All Blacks jersey

> 3 Which 1995 animated film was their first Disney movie to be based on
> the life of a real person?

Pocahontas

3

> 5 By what name is the Dutch-speaking area in Belgium's north known?

Flanders?

> 6 What is one gross times one score?

2880

> 7 “There and Back Again” is an alternative title of which 1937 fantasy
> novel?

The Hobbit

> 8 In 2022 which city will become the first to have hosted both the
> summer and winter Olympic Games?

Wild guess: Stockholm???

> 9 Which 8-letter word refers to someone who renounces their religion?

Apostate

> 10 According to a 1794 poem by William Blake, which animal is “burning
> bright, In the forests of the night"?

Tyger

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 8, 2016, 4:16:45 AM7/8/16
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 The words klutz and bagel were absorbed into English from which
> other language?

Yiddish

> 2 What is the more common name for the "Cyathea dealbata", the
> unofficial floral emblem of New Zealand?

Kiwi

> 3 Which 1995 animated film was their first Disney movie to be based
> on the life of a real person?

Hiawata

> 4 In a standard tennis match what is the maximum number of
> consecutive set points one player might have?

40

> 5 By what name is the Dutch-speaking area in Belgium's north known?

Flanders

> 8 In 2022 which city will become the first to have hosted both the
> summer and winter Olympic Games?

Beijing

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 8, 2016, 4:23:30 AM7/8/16
Gareth Owen (gwo...@gmail.com) writes:
>> 8 In 2022 which city will become the first to have hosted both the
>> summer and winter Olympic Games?
>
> Wild guess: Stockholm???

There were indeed people who had such wild ideas. They were stopped at a
fairly earily stage as the sensible politicians in the Stockholm town hall
said no. But! They are at it again, contemplating a bid for 2026, and since
last time, the town hall now has a different colour. The whole thing is
just crazy. Most of the alpine events are planned to be in Åre which is
some 750 km away. For the nordic ski events they are looking at a quarry
some 25 km outside of time. I can just imagine how fun it will be down
in the hole when it's raining and it's a few degrees above zero (which
it may well be in beginning of February) and all the melt water runs
down into it.

Oh well, while they might waste some time on it, they will still not
make it very far.

bbowler

Jul 8, 2016, 10:03:05 AM7/8/16
On Thu, 07 Jul 2016 18:34:37 -0700, Calvin wrote:

> 1 The words klutz and bagel were absorbed into English from which
other
> language?

Yiddish

> 2 What is the more common name for the "Cyathea dealbata", the
> unofficial floral emblem of New Zealand?

Is Fern specific enough?

> 3 Which 1995 animated film was
> their first Disney movie to be based on the life of a real person?

Pocahontas

> 4 In a standard tennis match what is the maximum number of
consecutive
> set points one player might have?
> 5 By what name is the Dutch-speaking area in Belgium's north known?

The Flemish area

> 6 What is one gross times one score?

2880

> 7 “There and Back Again” is an alternative title of which 1937
fantasy
> novel?

The Hobbit

> 8 In 2022 which city will become the first to have hosted both the
> summer and winter Olympic Games?

Beijing

> 9 Which 8-letter word refers to someone who renounces their religion?

apostate

> 10 According to a 1794 poem by William Blake, which animal is “burning
> bright, In the forests of the night"?

Tiger Tiger

Marc Dashevsky

Jul 8, 2016, 11:22:09 AM7/8/16
In article <380fece1-4980-4438...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> 1 The words klutz and bagel were absorbed into English from which other language?
Yiddish

> 2 What is the more common name for the "Cyathea dealbata", the unofficial floral emblem of New Zealand?
> 3 Which 1995 animated film was their first Disney movie to be based on the life of a real person?
Pochahontas

> 4 In a standard tennis match what is the maximum number of consecutive set points one player might have?
> 5 By what name is the Dutch-speaking area in Belgium's north known?
Flanders

> 6 What is one gross times one score?
2880

> 7 ?There and Back Again? is an alternative title of which 1937 fantasy novel?
The Hobbit

> 8 In 2022 which city will become the first to have hosted both the summer and winter Olympic Games?
> 9 Which 8-letter word refers to someone who renounces their religion?
apostate

> 10 According to a 1794 poem by William Blake, which animal is ?burning bright, In the forests of the night"?
tiger

> cheers,
> calvin

Mark Brader

Jul 8, 2016, 2:05:20 PM7/8/16
"Calvin":
> > 4 In a standard tennis match what is the maximum number of
> > consecutive set points one player might have?

Mark Brader:

Arrgh, I forgot to come back to that one! Oh well, I don't understand
the sport well enough to answer anyway.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Infinity is not a big number."
m...@vex.net --Matt Parker

Pete

Jul 8, 2016, 6:01:36 PM7/8/16
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 The words klutz and bagel were absorbed into English from which
> other language?

Yiddish

> 2 What is the more common name for the "Cyathea
> dealbata", the unofficial floral emblem of New Zealand?

Fern

> 3 Which
> 1995 animated film was their first Disney movie to be based on the
> life of a real person?

Mulan

> 4 In a standard tennis match what is the
> maximum number of consecutive set points one player might have?

3

> 5 By what name is the Dutch-speaking area in Belgium's north known?

Flanders

> 6 What is one gross times one score?

2880

> 7 “There and Back Again”
> is an alternative title of which 1937 fantasy novel?

The Hobbit

> which city will become the first to have hosted both the summer and
> winter Olympic Games?

Oslo

> 9 Which 8-letter word refers to someone who
> renounces their religion?

Agnostic

> 10 According to a 1794 poem by William
> Blake, which animal is “burning bright, In the forests of the
> night"?

Owl

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Peter Smyth

Jul 8, 2016, 6:27:22 PM7/8/16
Calvin wrote:

> 1 The words klutz and bagel were absorbed into English from which
> other language?
Yiddish
> 2 What is the more common name for the "Cyathea dealbata", the
> unofficial floral emblem of New Zealand?
Silver fern
> 3 Which 1995 animated film was their first Disney movie to be based
> on the life of a real person?
Pocahontas
> 4 In a standard tennis match what is the maximum number of
> consecutive set points one player might have?
Six
> 5 By what name is the Dutch-speaking area in Belgium's north known?
Flanders
> 6 What is one gross times one score?
2880
> 7 “There and Back Again” is an alternative title of which 1937
> fantasy novel?
The Hobbit
> 8 In 2022 which city will become the first to have hosted both the
> summer and winter Olympic Games?
Munich
> 9 Which 8-letter word refers to someone who renounces their religion?
Apostate
> 10 According to a 1794 poem by William Blake, which animal is
> “burning bright, In the forests of the night"?
Tiger

Peter Smyth

Chris F.A. Johnson

Jul 8, 2016, 7:08:03 PM7/8/16

1

> 5 By what name is the Dutch-speaking area in Belgium's north known?

Flanders

> 6 What is one gross times one score?

2880

> 7 ???There and Back Again??? is an alternative title of which 1937 fantasy novel?

The Hobbit

> 8 In 2022 which city will become the first to have hosted both the summer and winter Olympic Games?

Beijing

> 9 Which 8-letter word refers to someone who renounces their religion?

Apostate

> 10 According to a 1794 poem by William Blake, which animal is ???burning bright, In the forests of the night"?

Tiger

--
Chris F.A. Johnson

Dan Tilque

Jul 9, 2016, 12:26:22 AM7/9/16
Calvin wrote:
> 1 The words klutz and bagel were absorbed into English from which other language?

Yiddish

> 2 What is the more common name for the "Cyathea dealbata", the unofficial floral emblem of New Zealand?

fern

> 3 Which 1995 animated film was their first Disney movie to be based on the life of a real person?

Pocahotas

> 4 In a standard tennis match what is the maximum number of consecutive set points one player might have?

3

> 5 By what name is the Dutch-speaking area in Belgium's north known?

Flanders

> 6 What is one gross times one score?

2880

> 7 “There and Back Again†is an alternative title of which 1937 fantasy novel?

The Hobbit

> 8 In 2022 which city will become the first to have hosted both the summer and winter Olympic Games?

Stockholm

> 9 Which 8-letter word refers to someone who renounces their religion?

apostate

> 10 According to a 1794 poem by William Blake, which animal is “burning bright, In the forests of the night"?

tiger

--
Dan Tilque

Dan Tilque

Jul 9, 2016, 12:30:37 AM7/9/16
Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> For the nordic ski events they are looking at a quarry
> some 25 km outside of time.

Won't being "outside of time" make it hard to time the events?

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 9, 2016, 4:24:54 AM7/9/16
Ehum, that's what happens when you think of something else while typing.
I meant to say 25 km outside of town.

Björn Lundin

Jul 10, 2016, 12:37:07 PM7/10/16
On 2016-07-08 03:34, Calvin wrote:

> 1 The words klutz and bagel were absorbed into English from which other language?
Jiddish
> 2 What is the more common name for the "Cyathea dealbata", the unofficial floral emblem of New Zealand?
Kiwi?
> 3 Which 1995 animated film was their first Disney movie to be based on the life of a real person?
Moses
> 4 In a standard tennis match what is the maximum number of consecutive set points one player might have?
2 - unless it is a tie break. If so then 6.

> 5 By what name is the Dutch-speaking area in Belgium's north known?
Flandern
> 6 What is one gross times one score?
non-metric ?
> 7 “There and Back Again” is an alternative title of which 1937 fantasy novel?
> 8 In 2022 which city will become the first to have hosted both the summer and winter Olympic Games?
> 9 Which 8-letter word refers to someone who renounces their religion?
converte
> 10 According to a 1794 poem by William Blake, which animal is “burning bright, In the forests of the night"?
>

> cheers,
> calvin

Björn

Calvin

Jul 12, 2016, 7:09:45 PM7/12/16
On Friday, July 8, 2016 at 11:34:37 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 The words klutz and bagel were absorbed into English from which other language?

Yiddish

> 2 What is the more common name for the "Cyathea dealbata", the unofficial floral emblem of New Zealand?

Silver fern
Both words were required

> 3 Which 1995 animated film was their first Disney movie to be based on the life of a real person?

Pocahontas

> 4 In a standard tennis match what is the maximum number of consecutive set points one player might have?

6 [in a tie break]
The range of answers given (or not given) suggests there are not many tennis players here

> 5 By what name is the Dutch-speaking area in Belgium's north known?

Flanders. I also accepted "Flemish region"

> 6 What is one gross times one score?

2880

> 7 “There and Back Again” is an alternative title of which 1937 fantasy novel?

The Hobbit

> 8 In 2022 which city will become the first to have hosted both the summer and winter Olympic Games?

Beijing

> 9 Which 8-letter word refers to someone who renounces their religion?

Apostate

> 10 According to a 1794 poem by William Blake, which animal is “burning bright, In the forests of the night"?

Tiger / Tyger

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 447
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 9 61 Peter Smyth
1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 9 64 Mark Brader
1 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 8 60 Gareth Owen
1 0 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 8 61 Chris Johnson
1 0 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 8 61 Bruce Bowler
1 0 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 7 57 Dan Tilque
1 0 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 7 57 Marc Dashevsky
1 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 4 36 Pete Gayde
1 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 3 24 Erland S
1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 2 20 Bjorn Lundin
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
10 3 7 1 10 8 8 4 7 7 65 65%

Congratulations Peter.

cheers,
calvin

Gareth Owen

Jul 13, 2016, 12:56:53 PM7/13/16
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:

>> 4 In a standard tennis match what is the maximum number of
>> consecutive set points one player might have?
>
> 6 [in a tie break]
> The range of answers given (or not given) suggests there are not many
> tennis players here

Bah! Forgot about tie breaks.