QFTCIMM16 Game 10, Rounds 2-3: CanInjuns, minor sports

Mark Brader

Mar 19, 2017, 1:47:45 AM3/19/17
I'm posting this set a little early for reasons of my convenience.
The last set of Game 9 is still open for at least couple more hours
as I write.

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-28,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 10, Round 2 - Canadiana Geography - Indigenous Peoples

1. In Ontario, the largest group of aboriginal people by population
are the Anishinaabeg ["Aw-nish-a-NAW-beg"] people, which include,
among others, the Algonquins, the Ottawas, the Ojibway, and
*this* group, which in 1787 gave up to the Crown the land that
you are currently sitting on. Name the group.

2. The Cree have the widest distribution across Canada. Subgroups
include the Woods Cree, Plains Cree, Swampy Cree, Eastern Cree
and Moose Cree. Name either of the two Ontario communities
in which most of the Moose Cree live. Hint: one of them is
Ontario's oldest English-speaking settlement.

3. The Dogribs, Beavers, Yellowknives, Hares, and Slavey peoples are
just some of the many subgroups that make up the Dene ["DEN-ay"],
the predominant First Nation in two of Canada's provinces
or territories. Name either of the two.

4. After the American Revolution, members of the Six Nations
Iroquois Confederacy were forced out of New York State and
resettled near Brantford, Ontario. Most of them came from a
major river valley in upstate New York, named for the largest
of the Six Nations. Name the river.

5. The narrows between the two large lakes at Orillia, Ontario,
were once the site of fishing fences or weirs, named Tkaronto --
trees standing in water -- by the Mohawks. Apparently it's the
origin of the name Toronto. Name either of the two lakes.

6. Name the province or territory whose name -- in the Cree,
Ojibway, and Assiniboine languages -- might mean "the speaking
god", but probably means "where the great spirit lives".

7. The Beothuk ["Bee-AW-tuk", "BAY-uh-thuck", etc.] people declined
after first contact with Europeans, with the last members of
this group dying out in the early 1800s. On which island did
they live?

8. Nunavik, which means "Great Land", is an area mainly inhabited
by Inuit people. It makes up the northern 1/3 of which Canadian
province?

9. The Haida people ["HIGH-da"] inhabit a large island group off
the BC coast just south of the Alaskan panhandle. The new
name of the islands is Haida Gwaii ["gwhy"]. What was their
previous name?

10. Name the conservation area in Halton region which is home to
a replica Huron long-house village, a popular tourist attraction.
The conservation area is named for the unique lake found
within it.

* Game 10, Round 3 - Sports - They Call them Sports

Some say sport, some say leisure pastime. Some say just an excuse
to drink during the game. Here are some questions about curling,
golf, darts, and bowling.

1. Which form of bowling did Thomas Ryan develop in Toronto in 1909?

2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with
the previous question. Jung vf gur fpber bs n cresrpg tnzr va
*gra-cva* objyvat?

3. John Part is a Canadian professional darts player and
commentator, and a 3-time world champion. What is his
*nickname*?

4. What is the highest score achievable on a round of 3 darts?

5. Still with darts: there are a number of regional variations
on the standard rules and scoring systems. One such requires
players to hit all of the numbers in sequence. What is the
name of this version?

6. Two organizations officially govern the rules of golf.
Name either one.

7. What is the penalty for a lost ball or one that goes out
of bounds?

8. What is the name given to a score on one hole of 3 strokes
under par?

9. A curler commonly wears two different special shoes. Give the
common name of either type of shoe likely to be found on a
curler's foot.

10. When a player is launching a curling stone, his/her feet
are braced against a piece of rubber partly recessed into a
hole in the ice. What is this apparatus called?

--
Mark Brader "You can stop laughing now.
Toronto Well, maybe you *can't*, but you *may*."

Marc Dashevsky

Mar 19, 2017, 3:18:15 AM3/19/17
In article <ELudndnW9MvmhlPF...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 10, Round 2 - Canadiana Geography - Indigenous Peoples
>
> 1. In Ontario, the largest group of aboriginal people by population
> are the Anishinaabeg ["Aw-nish-a-NAW-beg"] people, which include,
> among others, the Algonquins, the Ottawas, the Ojibway, and
> *this* group, which in 1787 gave up to the Crown the land that
> you are currently sitting on. Name the group.
>
> 2. The Cree have the widest distribution across Canada. Subgroups
> include the Woods Cree, Plains Cree, Swampy Cree, Eastern Cree
> and Moose Cree. Name either of the two Ontario communities
> in which most of the Moose Cree live. Hint: one of them is
> Ontario's oldest English-speaking settlement.
>
> 3. The Dogribs, Beavers, Yellowknives, Hares, and Slavey peoples are
> just some of the many subgroups that make up the Dene ["DEN-ay"],
> the predominant First Nation in two of Canada's provinces
> or territories. Name either of the two.
>
> 4. After the American Revolution, members of the Six Nations
> Iroquois Confederacy were forced out of New York State and
> resettled near Brantford, Ontario. Most of them came from a
> major river valley in upstate New York, named for the largest
> of the Six Nations. Name the river.
Mohawk

> 5. The narrows between the two large lakes at Orillia, Ontario,
> were once the site of fishing fences or weirs, named Tkaronto --
> trees standing in water -- by the Mohawks. Apparently it's the
> origin of the name Toronto. Name either of the two lakes.
>
> 6. Name the province or territory whose name -- in the Cree,
> Ojibway, and Assiniboine languages -- might mean "the speaking
> god", but probably means "where the great spirit lives".
>
> 7. The Beothuk ["Bee-AW-tuk", "BAY-uh-thuck", etc.] people declined
> after first contact with Europeans, with the last members of
> this group dying out in the early 1800s. On which island did
> they live?
>
> 8. Nunavik, which means "Great Land", is an area mainly inhabited
> by Inuit people. It makes up the northern 1/3 of which Canadian
> province?
Manitoba

> 9. The Haida people ["HIGH-da"] inhabit a large island group off
> the BC coast just south of the Alaskan panhandle. The new
> name of the islands is Haida Gwaii ["gwhy"]. What was their
> previous name?
>
> 10. Name the conservation area in Halton region which is home to
> a replica Huron long-house village, a popular tourist attraction.
> The conservation area is named for the unique lake found
> within it.
>

> * Game 10, Round 3 - Sports - They Call them Sports
>
> Some say sport, some say leisure pastime. Some say just an excuse
> to drink during the game. Here are some questions about curling,
> golf, darts, and bowling.
>
> 1. Which form of bowling did Thomas Ryan develop in Toronto in 1909?
>
> 2. What is the score of a perfect game in *ten-pin* bowling?
300

> 3. John Part is a Canadian professional darts player and
> commentator, and a 3-time world champion. What is his
> *nickname*?
>
> 4. What is the highest score achievable on a round of 3 darts?
150

> 5. Still with darts: there are a number of regional variations
> on the standard rules and scoring systems. One such requires
> players to hit all of the numbers in sequence. What is the
> name of this version?
>
> 6. Two organizations officially govern the rules of golf.
> Name either one.
>
> 7. What is the penalty for a lost ball or one that goes out
> of bounds?
>
> 8. What is the name given to a score on one hole of 3 strokes
> under par?
eagle

> 9. A curler commonly wears two different special shoes. Give the
> common name of either type of shoe likely to be found on a
> curler's foot.
>
> 10. When a player is launching a curling stone, his/her feet
> are braced against a piece of rubber partly recessed into a
> hole in the ice. What is this apparatus called?

Peter Smyth

Mar 19, 2017, 5:39:55 AM3/19/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 10, Round 3 - Sports - They Call them Sports
>
> Some say sport, some say leisure pastime. Some say just an excuse
> to drink during the game. Here are some questions about curling,
> golf, darts, and bowling.
>
> 1. Which form of bowling did Thomas Ryan develop in Toronto in 1909?
Five Pin
> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with
> the previous question. What is the score of a perfect game in
> *ten-pin* bowling?
300
> 3. John Part is a Canadian professional darts player and
> commentator, and a 3-time world champion. What is his
> nickname?
Darth Maple
> 4. What is the highest score achievable on a round of 3 darts?
180
> 5. Still with darts: there are a number of regional variations
> on the standard rules and scoring systems. One such requires
> players to hit all of the numbers in sequence. What is the
> name of this version?
Round the Clock
> 6. Two organizations officially govern the rules of golf.
> Name either one.
R&A
> 7. What is the penalty for a lost ball or one that goes out
> of bounds?
1 stroke
> 8. What is the name given to a score on one hole of 3 strokes
> under par?
Albatross
> 9. A curler commonly wears two different special shoes. Give the
> common name of either type of shoe likely to be found on a
> curler's foot.
Slider
> 10. When a player is launching a curling stone, his/her feet
> are braced against a piece of rubber partly recessed into a
> hole in the ice. What is this apparatus called?
Tee

Peter Smyth

Erland Sommarskog

Mar 19, 2017, 6:11:58 AM3/19/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 10, Round 2 - Canadiana Geography - Indigenous Peoples
>
> 1. In Ontario, the largest group of aboriginal people by population
> are the Anishinaabeg ["Aw-nish-a-NAW-beg"] people, which include,
> among others, the Algonquins, the Ottawas, the Ojibway, and
> *this* group, which in 1787 gave up to the Crown the land that
> you are currently sitting on. Name the group.

For the land *I* am sitting on that would be the Saami people, but
it was way before 1787 - if they were here at all.

> 7. The Beothuk ["Bee-AW-tuk", "BAY-uh-thuck", etc.] people declined
> after first contact with Europeans, with the last members of
> this group dying out in the early 1800s. On which island did
> they live?

Labrador

> 8. Nunavik, which means "Great Land", is an area mainly inhabited
> by Inuit people. It makes up the northern 1/3 of which Canadian
> province?

Québec

> * Game 10, Round 3 - Sports - They Call them Sports
>
> Some say sport, some say leisure pastime. Some say just an excuse
> to drink during the game. Here are some questions about curling,
> golf, darts, and bowling.
>
> 1. Which form of bowling did Thomas Ryan develop in Toronto in 1909?

10-pin

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with
> the previous question. Jung vf gur fpber bs n cresrpg tnzr va
> *gra-cva* objyvat?

300

> 4. What is the highest score achievable on a round of 3 darts?

180

> 7. What is the penalty for a lost ball or one that goes out
> of bounds?

2 strokes

> 8. What is the name given to a score on one hole of 3 strokes
> under par?

Albatross

Don Piven

Mar 19, 2017, 6:17:35 AM3/19/17
Moose Factory

> 3. The Dogribs, Beavers, Yellowknives, Hares, and Slavey peoples are
> just some of the many subgroups that make up the Dene ["DEN-ay"],
> the predominant First Nation in two of Canada's provinces
> or territories. Name either of the two.

Northwest Territory

> 4. After the American Revolution, members of the Six Nations
> Iroquois Confederacy were forced out of New York State and
> resettled near Brantford, Ontario. Most of them came from a
> major river valley in upstate New York, named for the largest
> of the Six Nations. Name the river.

Seneca

> 5. The narrows between the two large lakes at Orillia, Ontario,
> were once the site of fishing fences or weirs, named Tkaronto --
> trees standing in water -- by the Mohawks. Apparently it's the
> origin of the name Toronto. Name either of the two lakes.
>
> 6. Name the province or territory whose name -- in the Cree,
> Ojibway, and Assiniboine languages -- might mean "the speaking
> god", but probably means "where the great spirit lives".

Manitoba

> 7. The Beothuk ["Bee-AW-tuk", "BAY-uh-thuck", etc.] people declined
> after first contact with Europeans, with the last members of
> this group dying out in the early 1800s. On which island did
> they live?

Newfoundland

> 8. Nunavik, which means "Great Land", is an area mainly inhabited
> by Inuit people. It makes up the northern 1/3 of which Canadian
> province?

Quebec

> 9. The Haida people ["HIGH-da"] inhabit a large island group off
> the BC coast just south of the Alaskan panhandle. The new
> name of the islands is Haida Gwaii ["gwhy"]. What was their
> previous name?

Queen Charlotte

> 10. Name the conservation area in Halton region which is home to
> a replica Huron long-house village, a popular tourist attraction.
> The conservation area is named for the unique lake found
> within it.
>

> * Game 10, Round 3 - Sports - They Call them Sports
>
> Some say sport, some say leisure pastime. Some say just an excuse
> to drink during the game. Here are some questions about curling,
> golf, darts, and bowling.
>
> 1. Which form of bowling did Thomas Ryan develop in Toronto in 1909?

Ten-pin

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with
> the previous question. Jung vf gur fpber bs n cresrpg tnzr va
> *gra-cva* objyvat?

300

> 3. John Part is a Canadian professional darts player and
> commentator, and a 3-time world champion. What is his
> *nickname*?
>
> 4. What is the highest score achievable on a round of 3 darts?
>
> 5. Still with darts: there are a number of regional variations
> on the standard rules and scoring systems. One such requires
> players to hit all of the numbers in sequence. What is the
> name of this version?
>
> 6. Two organizations officially govern the rules of golf.
> Name either one.

R&A

> 7. What is the penalty for a lost ball or one that goes out
> of bounds?

One stroke.

> 8. What is the name given to a score on one hole of 3 strokes
> under par?

Double eagle.

Dan Blum

Mar 19, 2017, 9:45:22 AM3/19/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 10, Round 2 - Canadiana Geography - Indigenous Peoples

> 1. In Ontario, the largest group of aboriginal people by population
> are the Anishinaabeg ["Aw-nish-a-NAW-beg"] people, which include,
> among others, the Algonquins, the Ottawas, the Ojibway, and
> *this* group, which in 1787 gave up to the Crown the land that
> you are currently sitting on. Name the group.

Mohawk; Seneca

> 3. The Dogribs, Beavers, Yellowknives, Hares, and Slavey peoples are
> just some of the many subgroups that make up the Dene ["DEN-ay"],
> the predominant First Nation in two of Canada's provinces
> or territories. Name either of the two.

Yukon; British Columbia

> 4. After the American Revolution, members of the Six Nations
> Iroquois Confederacy were forced out of New York State and
> resettled near Brantford, Ontario. Most of them came from a
> major river valley in upstate New York, named for the largest
> of the Six Nations. Name the river.

Mohawk

> 6. Name the province or territory whose name -- in the Cree,
> Ojibway, and Assiniboine languages -- might mean "the speaking
> god", but probably means "where the great spirit lives".

Manitoba; Saskatchewan

> 7. The Beothuk ["Bee-AW-tuk", "BAY-uh-thuck", etc.] people declined
> after first contact with Europeans, with the last members of
> this group dying out in the early 1800s. On which island did
> they live?

Vancouver Island; Newfoundland

> 8. Nunavik, which means "Great Land", is an area mainly inhabited
> by Inuit people. It makes up the northern 1/3 of which Canadian
> province?

Quebec

> * Game 10, Round 3 - Sports - They Call them Sports

> 1. Which form of bowling did Thomas Ryan develop in Toronto in 1909?

candlepin; duckpin

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with
> the previous question. Jung vf gur fpber bs n cresrpg tnzr va
> *gra-cva* objyvat?

300

> 4. What is the highest score achievable on a round of 3 darts?

180

> 7. What is the penalty for a lost ball or one that goes out
> of bounds?

two strokes

> 8. What is the name given to a score on one hole of 3 strokes
> under par?

eagle; albatross

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Calvin

Mar 19, 2017, 6:37:48 PM3/19/17
On Sunday, March 19, 2017 at 3:47:45 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 10, Round 2 - Canadiana Geography - Indigenous Peoples

Pass

> * Game 10, Round 3 - Sports - They Call them Sports
>
> Some say sport, some say leisure pastime. Some say just an excuse
> to drink during the game. Here are some questions about curling,
> golf, darts, and bowling.
>
> 1. Which form of bowling did Thomas Ryan develop in Toronto in 1909?

10 pin

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with
> the previous question. Jung vf gur fpber bs n cresrpg tnzr va
> *gra-cva* objyvat?

300

> 3. John Part is a Canadian professional darts player and
> commentator, and a 3-time world champion. What is his
> *nickname*?
>
> 4. What is the highest score achievable on a round of 3 darts?

One hundred and eeeeiiiiggghhhhttyyyyy!!!!

> 5. Still with darts: there are a number of regional variations
> on the standard rules and scoring systems. One such requires
> players to hit all of the numbers in sequence. What is the
> name of this version?

Clock

> 6. Two organizations officially govern the rules of golf.
> Name either one.

Royal and Ancient

> 7. What is the penalty for a lost ball or one that goes out
> of bounds?

One stroke is presumably the expected answer.
Technically the penalty for an out of bounds ball is one stroke *plus distance*, i.e. the next (third) shot must be hit from the same spot as the previous one was. By contrast, following a lost ball, the ensuing shot can be hit from the vicinity of where the ball was lost. By definition one cannot play a shot while out of bounds.

> 8. What is the name given to a score on one hole of 3 strokes
> under par?

Albatross

> 9. A curler commonly wears two different special shoes. Give the
> common name of either type of shoe likely to be found on a
> curler's foot.
>
> 10. When a player is launching a curling stone, his/her feet
> are braced against a piece of rubber partly recessed into a
> hole in the ice. What is this apparatus called?

NFI

Next up - LBW law trivia!

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Mar 19, 2017, 8:15:47 PM3/19/17
Mark Brader:
> > 7. What is the penalty for a lost ball or one that goes out
> > of bounds?

"Calvin":
> One stroke is presumably the expected answer.
> Technically the penalty for an out of bounds ball is one stroke *plus
> distance*...

I will score this as two guesses, "one stroke" and "one stroke plus distance".
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "He is even more important than my cat,
m...@vex.net | which is saying something." --Flash Wilson

Calvin

Mar 19, 2017, 10:04:56 PM3/19/17
On Monday, March 20, 2017 at 10:15:47 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> Mark Brader:
> > > 7. What is the penalty for a lost ball or one that goes out
> > > of bounds?
>
> "Calvin":
> > One stroke is presumably the expected answer.
> > Technically the penalty for an out of bounds ball is one stroke *plus
> > distance*...
>
> I will score this as two guesses, "one stroke" and "one stroke plus distance".

Sure.

I've just looked it up and it's more complicated still than I had realised:

http://www.usga.org/rules/rules-and-decisions.html#!rule-27

It's odd that the "exception" is so-called given it would cover 98% of cases.

And odder still that it mentions a two stroke penalty, despite having earlier stated one stroke.

And that's only for stroke play of course, not match play.

So good luck to whoever can unravel all that. I expect there were protests in the original game :-)

cheers,
calvin

Pete Gayde

Mar 19, 2017, 10:15:17 PM3/19/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:ELudndnW9MvmhlPFnZ2dnUU7-
dnN...@giganews.com:

> I'm posting this set a little early for reasons of my convenience.
> The last set of Game 9 is still open for at least couple more hours
> as I write.
>

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-28,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 10, Round 2 - Canadiana Geography - Indigenous Peoples
>
> 1. In Ontario, the largest group of aboriginal people by population
> are the Anishinaabeg ["Aw-nish-a-NAW-beg"] people, which include,
> among others, the Algonquins, the Ottawas, the Ojibway, and
> *this* group, which in 1787 gave up to the Crown the land that
> you are currently sitting on. Name the group.

Mississauga

> 2. The Cree have the widest distribution across Canada. Subgroups
> include the Woods Cree, Plains Cree, Swampy Cree, Eastern Cree
> and Moose Cree. Name either of the two Ontario communities
> in which most of the Moose Cree live. Hint: one of them is
> Ontario's oldest English-speaking settlement.
>
> 3. The Dogribs, Beavers, Yellowknives, Hares, and Slavey peoples are
> just some of the many subgroups that make up the Dene ["DEN-ay"],
> the predominant First Nation in two of Canada's provinces
> or territories. Name either of the two.

Nova Scotia; New Brunswick

> 4. After the American Revolution, members of the Six Nations
> Iroquois Confederacy were forced out of New York State and
> resettled near Brantford, Ontario. Most of them came from a
> major river valley in upstate New York, named for the largest
> of the Six Nations. Name the river.
>
> 5. The narrows between the two large lakes at Orillia, Ontario,
> were once the site of fishing fences or weirs, named Tkaronto --
> trees standing in water -- by the Mohawks. Apparently it's the
> origin of the name Toronto. Name either of the two lakes.
>
> 6. Name the province or territory whose name -- in the Cree,
> Ojibway, and Assiniboine languages -- might mean "the speaking
> god", but probably means "where the great spirit lives".

Manitoba; Saskatchewan

> 7. The Beothuk ["Bee-AW-tuk", "BAY-uh-thuck", etc.] people declined
> after first contact with Europeans, with the last members of
> this group dying out in the early 1800s. On which island did
> they live?

Vancouver Island; Prince Edward Island

> 8. Nunavik, which means "Great Land", is an area mainly inhabited
> by Inuit people. It makes up the northern 1/3 of which Canadian
> province?

Yukon Territory; Quebec

> 9. The Haida people ["HIGH-da"] inhabit a large island group off
> the BC coast just south of the Alaskan panhandle. The new
> name of the islands is Haida Gwaii ["gwhy"]. What was their
> previous name?
>
> 10. Name the conservation area in Halton region which is home to
> a replica Huron long-house village, a popular tourist attraction.
> The conservation area is named for the unique lake found
> within it.
>

> * Game 10, Round 3 - Sports - They Call them Sports
>
> Some say sport, some say leisure pastime. Some say just an excuse
> to drink during the game. Here are some questions about curling,
> golf, darts, and bowling.
>
> 1. Which form of bowling did Thomas Ryan develop in Toronto in 1909?

9 pins

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with
> the previous question. Jung vf gur fpber bs n cresrpg tnzr va
> *gra-cva* objyvat?

300

> 3. John Part is a Canadian professional darts player and
> commentator, and a 3-time world champion. What is his
> *nickname*?
>
> 4. What is the highest score achievable on a round of 3 darts?

180

> 5. Still with darts: there are a number of regional variations
> on the standard rules and scoring systems. One such requires
> players to hit all of the numbers in sequence. What is the
> name of this version?
>
> 6. Two organizations officially govern the rules of golf.
> Name either one.

United States Golf Association

> 7. What is the penalty for a lost ball or one that goes out
> of bounds?

2 strokes

> 8. What is the name given to a score on one hole of 3 strokes
> under par?

Double eagle

> 9. A curler commonly wears two different special shoes. Give the
> common name of either type of shoe likely to be found on a
> curler's foot.

Slider

> 10. When a player is launching a curling stone, his/her feet
> are braced against a piece of rubber partly recessed into a
> hole in the ice. What is this apparatus called?

Boot

Pete Gayde

---
http://www.avg.com

Joshua Kreitzer

Mar 19, 2017, 11:41:11 PM3/19/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:ELudndnW9MvmhlPFnZ2dnUU7-
dnN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 10, Round 2 - Canadiana Geography - Indigenous Peoples
>
> 3. The Dogribs, Beavers, Yellowknives, Hares, and Slavey peoples are
> just some of the many subgroups that make up the Dene ["DEN-ay"],
> the predominant First Nation in two of Canada's provinces
> or territories. Name either of the two.

Nunavut

> 4. After the American Revolution, members of the Six Nations
> Iroquois Confederacy were forced out of New York State and
> resettled near Brantford, Ontario. Most of them came from a
> major river valley in upstate New York, named for the largest
> of the Six Nations. Name the river.

Oneida

> 6. Name the province or territory whose name -- in the Cree,
> Ojibway, and Assiniboine languages -- might mean "the speaking
> god", but probably means "where the great spirit lives".

Manitoba

> 7. The Beothuk ["Bee-AW-tuk", "BAY-uh-thuck", etc.] people declined
> after first contact with Europeans, with the last members of
> this group dying out in the early 1800s. On which island did
> they live?

Newfoundland

> 8. Nunavik, which means "Great Land", is an area mainly inhabited
> by Inuit people. It makes up the northern 1/3 of which Canadian
> province?

Quebec

> * Game 10, Round 3 - Sports - They Call them Sports
>
> Some say sport, some say leisure pastime. Some say just an excuse
> to drink during the game. Here are some questions about curling,
> golf, darts, and bowling.
>
> 1. Which form of bowling did Thomas Ryan develop in Toronto in 1909?

candlepin

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with
> the previous question. Jung vf gur fpber bs n cresrpg tnzr va
> *gra-cva* objyvat?

300

> 6. Two organizations officially govern the rules of golf.
> Name either one.

Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrew's

> 7. What is the penalty for a lost ball or one that goes out
> of bounds?

1 stroke; 2 strokes

> 8. What is the name given to a score on one hole of 3 strokes
> under par?

albatross

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Bruce

Mar 20, 2017, 10:38:22 AM3/20/17
Mohawk

> 5. The narrows between the two large lakes at Orillia, Ontario,
> were once the site of fishing fences or weirs, named Tkaronto --
> trees standing in water -- by the Mohawks. Apparently it's the
> origin of the name Toronto. Name either of the two lakes.
>
> 6. Name the province or territory whose name -- in the Cree,
> Ojibway, and Assiniboine languages -- might mean "the speaking god",
> but probably means "where the great spirit lives".

Saskatchewan

> 7. The Beothuk ["Bee-AW-tuk", "BAY-uh-thuck", etc.] people declined
> after first contact with Europeans, with the last members of this
> group dying out in the early 1800s. On which island did they live?

Newfoundland

> 8. Nunavik, which means "Great Land", is an area mainly inhabited
> by Inuit people. It makes up the northern 1/3 of which Canadian
> province?

Northern Territories

> 9. The Haida people ["HIGH-da"] inhabit a large island group off
> the BC coast just south of the Alaskan panhandle. The new name of
> the islands is Haida Gwaii ["gwhy"]. What was their previous name?
>
> 10. Name the conservation area in Halton region which is home to
> a replica Huron long-house village, a popular tourist attraction.
> The conservation area is named for the unique lake found within it.
>

> * Game 10, Round 3 - Sports - They Call them Sports
>
> Some say sport, some say leisure pastime. Some say just an excuse to
> drink during the game. Here are some questions about curling, golf,
> darts, and bowling.
>
> 1. Which form of bowling did Thomas Ryan develop in Toronto in 1909?

Ten pin, candle pin

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with
> the previous question. Jung vf gur fpber bs n cresrpg tnzr va
> *gra-cva* objyvat?

300

> 3. John Part is a Canadian professional darts player and
> commentator, and a 3-time world champion. What is his *nickname*?
>
> 4. What is the highest score achievable on a round of 3 darts?
>
> 5. Still with darts: there are a number of regional variations
> on the standard rules and scoring systems. One such requires players
> to hit all of the numbers in sequence. What is the name of this
> version?

Baseball

> 6. Two organizations officially govern the rules of golf.
> Name either one.

US Golfing Association

> 7. What is the penalty for a lost ball or one that goes out
> of bounds?

3 strokes?

> 8. What is the name given to a score on one hole of 3 strokes
> under par?

Double eagle

> 9. A curler commonly wears two different special shoes. Give the
> common name of either type of shoe likely to be found on a curler's
> foot.

Slider

> 10. When a player is launching a curling stone, his/her feet
> are braced against a piece of rubber partly recessed into a hole in
> the ice. What is this apparatus called?

hack

Dan Tilque

Mar 20, 2017, 10:01:27 PM3/20/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 10, Round 2 - Canadiana Geography - Indigenous Peoples
>
> 1. In Ontario, the largest group of aboriginal people by population
> are the Anishinaabeg ["Aw-nish-a-NAW-beg"] people, which include,
> among others, the Algonquins, the Ottawas, the Ojibway, and
> *this* group, which in 1787 gave up to the Crown the land that
> you are currently sitting on. Name the group.

Tualatin Indians (well, it's where I'm at)

> 2. The Cree have the widest distribution across Canada. Subgroups
> include the Woods Cree, Plains Cree, Swampy Cree, Eastern Cree
> and Moose Cree. Name either of the two Ontario communities
> in which most of the Moose Cree live. Hint: one of them is
> Ontario's oldest English-speaking settlement.
>
> 3. The Dogribs, Beavers, Yellowknives, Hares, and Slavey peoples are
> just some of the many subgroups that make up the Dene ["DEN-ay"],
> the predominant First Nation in two of Canada's provinces
> or territories. Name either of the two.

Northwest Territories

> 4. After the American Revolution, members of the Six Nations
> Iroquois Confederacy were forced out of New York State and
> resettled near Brantford, Ontario. Most of them came from a
> major river valley in upstate New York, named for the largest
> of the Six Nations. Name the river.

Seneca

> 5. The narrows between the two large lakes at Orillia, Ontario,
> were once the site of fishing fences or weirs, named Tkaronto --
> trees standing in water -- by the Mohawks. Apparently it's the
> origin of the name Toronto. Name either of the two lakes.

Nipissing

> 6. Name the province or territory whose name -- in the Cree,
> Ojibway, and Assiniboine languages -- might mean "the speaking
> god", but probably means "where the great spirit lives".

Manitoba

> 7. The Beothuk ["Bee-AW-tuk", "BAY-uh-thuck", etc.] people declined
> after first contact with Europeans, with the last members of
> this group dying out in the early 1800s. On which island did
> they live?

Newfoundland

> 8. Nunavik, which means "Great Land", is an area mainly inhabited
> by Inuit people. It makes up the northern 1/3 of which Canadian
> province?

Quebec

> 9. The Haida people ["HIGH-da"] inhabit a large island group off
> the BC coast just south of the Alaskan panhandle. The new
> name of the islands is Haida Gwaii ["gwhy"]. What was their
> previous name?

Queen Charlotte Islands

> 10. Name the conservation area in Halton region which is home to
> a replica Huron long-house village, a popular tourist attraction.
> The conservation area is named for the unique lake found
> within it.
>

> * Game 10, Round 3 - Sports - They Call them Sports
>
> Some say sport, some say leisure pastime. Some say just an excuse
> to drink during the game. Here are some questions about curling,
> golf, darts, and bowling.
>
> 1. Which form of bowling did Thomas Ryan develop in Toronto in 1909?

10 pin

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with
> the previous question. Jung vf gur fpber bs n cresrpg tnzr va
> *gra-cva* objyvat?

300

> 3. John Part is a Canadian professional darts player and
> commentator, and a 3-time world champion. What is his
> *nickname*?
>
> 4. What is the highest score achievable on a round of 3 darts?

180

> 5. Still with darts: there are a number of regional variations
> on the standard rules and scoring systems. One such requires
> players to hit all of the numbers in sequence. What is the
> name of this version?
>
> 6. Two organizations officially govern the rules of golf.
> Name either one.

Ladies Professional Golf Association

> 7. What is the penalty for a lost ball or one that goes out
> of bounds?

1 stroke

> 8. What is the name given to a score on one hole of 3 strokes
> under par?

albatross

> 9. A curler commonly wears two different special shoes. Give the
> common name of either type of shoe likely to be found on a
> curler's foot.
>
> 10. When a player is launching a curling stone, his/her feet
> are braced against a piece of rubber partly recessed into a
> hole in the ice. What is this apparatus called?

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Mar 21, 2017, 11:39:46 AM3/21/17
Calvin:
> And odder still that it mentions a two stroke penalty...

That's the penalty for failing to obey the rule that specifies the penalty.
--
Mark Brader | "The closest I can get to describing her is to compare
Toronto | the feeling one gets from picking up a ten-card suit..."

Jason Kreitzer

Mar 21, 2017, 5:19:08 PM3/21/17
PGA

Mark Brader

Mar 22, 2017, 3:41:00 AM3/22/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-28,
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 10, Round 2 - Canadiana Geography - Indigenous Peoples

> 1. In Ontario, the largest group of aboriginal people by population
> are the Anishinaabeg ["Aw-nish-a-NAW-beg"] people, which include,
> among others, the Algonquins, the Ottawas, the Ojibway, and
> *this* group, which in 1787 gave up to the Crown the land that
> you are currently sitting on. Name the group.

Mississauga. 4 for Pete.

> 2. The Cree have the widest distribution across Canada. Subgroups
> include the Woods Cree, Plains Cree, Swampy Cree, Eastern Cree
> and Moose Cree. Name either of the two Ontario communities
> in which most of the Moose Cree live. Hint: one of them is
> Ontario's oldest English-speaking settlement.

Moose Factory, Moosonee. You might have guessed! 4 for Don.

"Factory" in this context means a trading post; "factor" is what
the Hudson's Bay Co. called their agents who actually traded with
the natives.

> 3. The Dogribs, Beavers, Yellowknives, Hares, and Slavey peoples are
> just some of the many subgroups that make up the Dene ["DEN-ay"],
> the predominant First Nation in two of Canada's provinces
> or territories. Name either of the two.

Northwest Territories, Yukon. 4 for Dan Tilque. 3 for Don
and Dan Blum.

> 4. After the American Revolution, members of the Six Nations
> Iroquois Confederacy were forced out of New York State and
> resettled near Brantford, Ontario. Most of them came from a
> major river valley in upstate New York, named for the largest
> of the Six Nations. Name the river.

Mohawk River. 4 for Marc, Dan Blum, and Bruce.

> 5. The narrows between the two large lakes at Orillia, Ontario,
> were once the site of fishing fences or weirs, named Tkaronto --
> trees standing in water -- by the Mohawks. Apparently it's the
> origin of the name Toronto. Name either of the two lakes.

Lake Couchiching, Lake Simcoe.

> 6. Name the province or territory whose name -- in the Cree,
> Ojibway, and Assiniboine languages -- might mean "the speaking
> god", but probably means "where the great spirit lives".

Manitoba. 4 for Don, Joshua, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Dan Blum
and Pete.

> 7. The Beothuk ["Bee-AW-tuk", "BAY-uh-thuck", etc.] people declined
> after first contact with Europeans, with the last members of
> this group dying out in the early 1800s. On which island did
> they live?

Newfoundland. 4 for Don, Joshua, Bruce, and Dan Tilque.
2 for Dan Blum.

> 8. Nunavik, which means "Great Land", is an area mainly inhabited
> by Inuit people. It makes up the northern 1/3 of which Canadian
> province?

Quebec. 4 for Erland, Don, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.
2 for Pete.

> 9. The Haida people ["HIGH-da"] inhabit a large island group off
> the BC coast just south of the Alaskan panhandle. The new
> name of the islands is Haida Gwaii ["gwhy"]. What was their
> previous name?

Queen Charlotte Is. 4 for Don and Dan Tilque.

> 10. Name the conservation area in Halton region which is home to
> a replica Huron long-house village, a popular tourist attraction.
> The conservation area is named for the unique lake found
> within it.

Crawford Lake.

> * Game 10, Round 3 - Sports - They Call them Sports

> Some say sport, some say leisure pastime. Some say just an excuse
> to drink during the game. Here are some questions about curling,
> golf, darts, and bowling.

> 1. Which form of bowling did Thomas Ryan develop in Toronto in 1909?

5-pin. 4 for Peter.

> 2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with
> the previous question. What is the score of a perfect game in
> *ten-pin* bowling?

300. 4 for Marc, Peter, Erland, Don, Dan Blum, Calvin, Pete, Joshua,
Bruce, and Dan Tilque.

> 3. John Part is a Canadian professional darts player and
> commentator, and a 3-time world champion. What is his
> *nickname*?

Darth Maple. 4 for Peter.

> 4. What is the highest score achievable on a round of 3 darts?

180 (or "ton 80"). 4 for Peter, Erland, Dan Blum, Caaaaaalviiiiiin!,
Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 5. Still with darts: there are a number of regional variations
> on the standard rules and scoring systems. One such requires
> players to hit all of the numbers in sequence. What is the
> name of this version?

Around the clock (accepting clock), around the world, or jumpers.
4 for Peter and Calvin.

> 6. Two organizations officially govern the rules of golf.
> Name either one.

Royal and Ancient Golf Club, US Golf Association. In either
case the initials were sufficient, and I also decided to accept
"St. Andrews" for the R&A. 4 for Peter, Don, Calvin, Pete,
and Joshua. 3 for Bruce.

> 7. What is the penalty for a lost ball or one that goes out
> of bounds?

Stroke and distance. (That is, the stroke you took counts, but
for your next one you have to go back to where you shot it from.)
2 for Calvin.

This is rule 27-1. One entrant wondered if there were protests in
the original game. Yes. In two games, the player said "one stroke".
One of them, asked for more specific, said "one stroke and dropped
ball". Both protests were, of course, denied.

> 8. What is the name given to a score on one hole of 3 strokes
> under par?

Albatross or double eagle. 4 for Peter, Erland, Don, Calvin, Pete,
Joshua, Bruce, and Dan Tilque. 2 for Dan Blum.

> 9. A curler commonly wears two different special shoes. Give the
> common name of either type of shoe likely to be found on a
> curler's foot.

Gripper, slider. 4 for Peter, Pete, and Bruce.

> 10. When a player is launching a curling stone, his/her feet
> are braced against a piece of rubber partly recessed into a
> hole in the ice. What is this apparatus called?

The hack. 4 for Bruce.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 10 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Can Spo
Don Piven 23 12 35
Dan Tilque 20 12 32
Peter Smyth 0 32 32
Pete Gayde 9 20 29
Bruce Bowler 8 19 27
Dan Blum 16 10 26
Joshua Kreitzer 12 12 24
"Calvin" 0 22 22
Erland Sommarskog 4 12 16
Marc Dashevsky 4 4 8
Jason Kreitzer 0 0 0

--
Mark Brader | "[In a country with] the dream that... anyone can grow up
Toronto | to be President... there's also a nightmare where