QFTCISG Game 3, Rounds 9-10: female scientists, Jerry's challenge

Mark Brader

Oct 28, 2017, 2:44:31 AM10/28/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-10-02,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 3, Round 9 - Science - Female Scientists

1. Émilie du Châtelet was an 18th century scientist who wrote a
number of scientific papers which she collaborated on during
an affair with the philosopher Voltaire. And she was the first
to translate *which seminal work* by Isaac Newton into French?

2. This German woman became an astronomer after she and her
brother moved to England in the 1770s. Together they discovered
over 1000 star clusters and nebulas, and a number of comets and
other astronomical phenomena. Her brother discovered Uranus.
She is known as the first woman to have her work published by
the Royal Society. What is her name? (First and last name
required.)

3. Lise Meitner was fascinated by the work of Marie Curie and so
followed her steps to work on radioactive elements. When her
partner observed that uranium atoms would split when bombarded
with neutrons she calculated the energy that was released,
and coined *what term* for the splitting of an atoms nucleus?

4. Chien-Shiung Wu has been called the "first lady of physics".
She helped to separate uranium into isotopes, and she disproved
the law of conservation of parity. She was also a part of what
important physics organization or project in the 1940s?

5. Rosalind Franklin is well known nowadays as the behind-the-scenes
hand in discovering the structure of DNA, as it was mainly her
work that Watson and Crick built on. What type of imaging did
she use? (After answering this question, please decode the
rot13: Vs lbh whfg fnvq k-enlf, jr arrq zber. Nqq gur erfg.)

6. Dorothy Hodgkin received a Nobel Prize in 1964 for her imaging
work using <answer 5>, having discovered the structure of a
number of compounds in the human body such as penicillin, vitamin
B12 -- and which hormone that plays a major role in diabetes?

7. Rita Levi-Montalcini was able to isolate a compound known
as NGF from cancer tissues that were found to cause nerve cell
growths. This compound was the first of its kind discovered,
and is incredibly important for the proliferation and survival
of nerve cells in the human body. The N in NGF stands for
"nerve"; what does the GF mean?

8. Barbara McClintock was a geneticist who was the first to
recognize transposable elements, or "jumping genes", in
chromosomes. Initially disregarded, it wasn't until many
years later (with better cell imaging) that her work was seen
as revolutionary. She performed almost all of her genetic
experiments on what plant?

9. Rachel Carson was a conservationist focused on the use of
pesticides. Years of work lead to the publishing of her book
"Silent Spring", which is credited with the creation of the
EPA as well as the general banning on *what pesticide*?

10. Jane Goodall is considered one of the world's experts on
chimpanzee behavior, having spent over 50 years in the field
studying wild chimpanzees. Using present-day place names,
her work began in Gombe Stream National Park -- in which
African country?

** Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round: Jerry Lewis

By way of a tribute to Jerry Lewis, who died in August at the age
of 91, your categories this week are:

History: Nutty
Sports: Professor
Entertainment: Dean Martin
Science: Muscular Dystrophy
Geography: Lewis
Literature: Lewis

* A. History: Nutty

A1. During World War II's Battle of the Bulge, German forces
surrounded the Belgian town of Bastogne. When they
demanded the American defenders surrender, what was the
famous one-word reply from the US commander?

A2. Name the ballet that premiered in St. Petersburg, Russia,
in 1892.

* B. Sports: Professor

B1. Which Hall of Fame manager of the New York Yankees was
nicknamed "The Old Perfessor?"

B2. Name the CFL Hall of Fame coach who was nicknamed "The
Professor". He won 147 regular season games -- 3rd-best
all time -- and 5 Grey Cups with Toronto and Ottawa.

* C. Entertainment: Dean Martin

C1. Jerry Lewis rocketed to stardom through his music-comedy
act with Dean Martin. Within 2 years, how long was the
team of Martin and Lewis together until their angry break-up?

C2. In the 1986 comedy "Back to School", Ned Beatty plays the
dean of the college that Rodney Dangerfield's character
decides to attend. What was the surname of Beatty's
character?

* D. Science: Muscular Dystrophy

D1. Jerry Lewis raised more than $2,600,000,000 US through
his annual telethon for muscular dystrophy. Within 2 years,
for how many years did Lewis host the Labor Day weekend show?

D2. Muscular dystrophy is a group of more than 30 diseases
which weaken and break down skeletal muscles. Within 2,
how many main categories of the disease are there?

* E. Geography: Lewis

E1. Lewis and Harris is the largest island in which archipelago
off the coast of Scotland?

E2. Name the largest community on Lewis and Harris. Hint:
it shares its name with the official residence of the Leader
of the Opposition in Ottawa.

* F. Literature: Lewis

F1. Lewis Carroll's first book was published in 1865. Name it.
Exact answer required.

F2. Who was the first American writer to be awarded the Nobel
Prize in literature? First and last name required.

--
Mark Brader | YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE CRAZY TO WORK HERE
Toronto | WE'LL TRAIN YOU

Erland Sommarskog

Oct 28, 2017, 5:34:17 AM10/28/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 3. Lise Meitner was fascinated by the work of Marie Curie and so
> followed her steps to work on radioactive elements. When her
> partner observed that uranium atoms would split when bombarded
> with neutrons she calculated the energy that was released,
> and coined *what term* for the splitting of an atoms nucleus?

Fission

> 4. Chien-Shiung Wu has been called the "first lady of physics".
> She helped to separate uranium into isotopes, and she disproved
> the law of conservation of parity. She was also a part of what
> important physics organization or project in the 1940s?

Manhattan Project

> 9. Rachel Carson was a conservationist focused on the use of
> pesticides. Years of work lead to the publishing of her book
> "Silent Spring", which is credited with the creation of the
> EPA as well as the general banning on *what pesticide*?

DDT

> 10. Jane Goodall is considered one of the world's experts on
> chimpanzee behavior, having spent over 50 years in the field
> studying wild chimpanzees. Using present-day place names,
> her work began in Gombe Stream National Park -- in which
> African country?

Rwanda

> A1. During World War II's Battle of the Bulge, German forces
> surrounded the Belgian town of Bastogne. When they
> demanded the American defenders surrender, what was the
> famous one-word reply from the US commander?

Nuts!

> A2. Name the ballet that premiered in St. Petersburg, Russia,
> in 1892.

Nut Cracker

> D2. Muscular dystrophy is a group of more than 30 diseases
> which weaken and break down skeletal muscles. Within 2,
> how many main categories of the disease are there?

37

> E1. Lewis and Harris is the largest island in which archipelago
> off the coast of Scotland?

Shetland Islands

Dan Blum

Oct 28, 2017, 9:23:55 AM10/28/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 9 - Science - Female Scientists

> 1. ?milie du Ch?telet was an 18th century scientist who wrote a
> number of scientific papers which she collaborated on during
> an affair with the philosopher Voltaire. And she was the first
> to translate *which seminal work* by Isaac Newton into French?

Pricipia Mathematica

> 2. This German woman became an astronomer after she and her
> brother moved to England in the 1770s. Together they discovered
> over 1000 star clusters and nebulas, and a number of comets and
> other astronomical phenomena. Her brother discovered Uranus.
> She is known as the first woman to have her work published by
> the Royal Society. What is her name? (First and last name
> required.)

Agnes Herschel

> 3. Lise Meitner was fascinated by the work of Marie Curie and so
> followed her steps to work on radioactive elements. When her
> partner observed that uranium atoms would split when bombarded
> with neutrons she calculated the energy that was released,
> and coined *what term* for the splitting of an atoms nucleus?

fission

> 4. Chien-Shiung Wu has been called the "first lady of physics".
> She helped to separate uranium into isotopes, and she disproved
> the law of conservation of parity. She was also a part of what
> important physics organization or project in the 1940s?

Manhattan Project

> 5. Rosalind Franklin is well known nowadays as the behind-the-scenes
> hand in discovering the structure of DNA, as it was mainly her
> work that Watson and Crick built on. What type of imaging did
> she use? (After answering this question, please decode the
> rot13: Vs lbh whfg fnvq k-enlf, jr arrq zber. Nqq gur erfg.)

X-ray crystallography

> 6. Dorothy Hodgkin received a Nobel Prize in 1964 for her imaging
> work using <answer 5>, having discovered the structure of a
> number of compounds in the human body such as penicillin, vitamin
> B12 -- and which hormone that plays a major role in diabetes?

insulin

> 7. Rita Levi-Montalcini was able to isolate a compound known
> as NGF from cancer tissues that were found to cause nerve cell
> growths. This compound was the first of its kind discovered,
> and is incredibly important for the proliferation and survival
> of nerve cells in the human body. The N in NGF stands for
> "nerve"; what does the GF mean?

growth factor

> 8. Barbara McClintock was a geneticist who was the first to
> recognize transposable elements, or "jumping genes", in
> chromosomes. Initially disregarded, it wasn't until many
> years later (with better cell imaging) that her work was seen
> as revolutionary. She performed almost all of her genetic
> experiments on what plant?

sweet pea; corn

> 9. Rachel Carson was a conservationist focused on the use of
> pesticides. Years of work lead to the publishing of her book
> "Silent Spring", which is credited with the creation of the
> EPA as well as the general banning on *what pesticide*?

DDT

> 10. Jane Goodall is considered one of the world's experts on
> chimpanzee behavior, having spent over 50 years in the field
> studying wild chimpanzees. Using present-day place names,
> her work began in Gombe Stream National Park -- in which
> African country?

Kenya; Tanzania

> ** Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round: Jerry Lewis

> * A. History: Nutty

> A1. During World War II's Battle of the Bulge, German forces
> surrounded the Belgian town of Bastogne. When they
> demanded the American defenders surrender, what was the
> famous one-word reply from the US commander?

Nuts!

> A2. Name the ballet that premiered in St. Petersburg, Russia,
> in 1892.

The Nutcracker

> * C. Entertainment: Dean Martin

> C1. Jerry Lewis rocketed to stardom through his music-comedy
> act with Dean Martin. Within 2 years, how long was the
> team of Martin and Lewis together until their angry break-up?

10; 15

> C2. In the 1986 comedy "Back to School", Ned Beatty plays the
> dean of the college that Rodney Dangerfield's character
> decides to attend. What was the surname of Beatty's
> character?

Martin

> * D. Science: Muscular Dystrophy

> D1. Jerry Lewis raised more than $2,600,000,000 US through
> his annual telethon for muscular dystrophy. Within 2 years,
> for how many years did Lewis host the Labor Day weekend show?

50

> D2. Muscular dystrophy is a group of more than 30 diseases
> which weaken and break down skeletal muscles. Within 2,
> how many main categories of the disease are there?

3; 8

> * E. Geography: Lewis

> E1. Lewis and Harris is the largest island in which archipelago
> off the coast of Scotland?

Orkneys; Hebrides

> * F. Literature: Lewis

> F1. Lewis Carroll's first book was published in 1865. Name it.
> Exact answer required.

Alice's Adventures Under Ground

> F2. Who was the first American writer to be awarded the Nobel
> Prize in literature? First and last name required.

Sinclair Lewis

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Peter Smyth

Oct 28, 2017, 1:32:58 PM10/28/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 9 - Science - Female Scientists
>
> 1. Émilie du Châtelet was an 18th century scientist who wrote a
> number of scientific papers which she collaborated on during
> an affair with the philosopher Voltaire. And she was the first
> to translate *which seminal work* by Isaac Newton into French?
Principia Mathematica
> 2. This German woman became an astronomer after she and her
> brother moved to England in the 1770s. Together they discovered
> over 1000 star clusters and nebulas, and a number of comets and
> other astronomical phenomena. Her brother discovered Uranus.
> She is known as the first woman to have her work published by
> the Royal Society. What is her name? (First and last name
> required.)
Wilhelmina Herschel
> 3. Lise Meitner was fascinated by the work of Marie Curie and so
> followed her steps to work on radioactive elements. When her
> partner observed that uranium atoms would split when bombarded
> with neutrons she calculated the energy that was released,
> and coined *what term* for the splitting of an atoms nucleus?
Fission
> 4. Chien-Shiung Wu has been called the "first lady of physics".
> She helped to separate uranium into isotopes, and she disproved
> the law of conservation of parity. She was also a part of what
> important physics organization or project in the 1940s?
Manhattan Project
> 5. Rosalind Franklin is well known nowadays as the behind-the-scenes
> hand in discovering the structure of DNA, as it was mainly her
> work that Watson and Crick built on. What type of imaging did
> she use? (After answering this question, please decode the
> rot13: If you just said x-rays, we need more. Add the rest.)
X-ray diffraction
> 6. Dorothy Hodgkin received a Nobel Prize in 1964 for her imaging
> work using <answer 5>, having discovered the structure of a
> number of compounds in the human body such as penicillin, vitamin
> B12 -- and which hormone that plays a major role in diabetes?
Insulin
> 7. Rita Levi-Montalcini was able to isolate a compound known
> as NGF from cancer tissues that were found to cause nerve cell
> growths. This compound was the first of its kind discovered,
> and is incredibly important for the proliferation and survival
> of nerve cells in the human body. The N in NGF stands for
> "nerve"; what does the GF mean?
growth factor
> 8. Barbara McClintock was a geneticist who was the first to
> recognize transposable elements, or "jumping genes", in
> chromosomes. Initially disregarded, it wasn't until many
> years later (with better cell imaging) that her work was seen
> as revolutionary. She performed almost all of her genetic
> experiments on what plant?
Peas
> 9. Rachel Carson was a conservationist focused on the use of
> pesticides. Years of work lead to the publishing of her book
> "Silent Spring", which is credited with the creation of the
> EPA as well as the general banning on *what pesticide*?
DDT
> 10. Jane Goodall is considered one of the world's experts on
> chimpanzee behavior, having spent over 50 years in the field
> studying wild chimpanzees. Using present-day place names,
> her work began in Gombe Stream National Park -- in which
> African country?
Uganda, Kenya

> ** Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round: Jerry Lewis
>
> By way of a tribute to Jerry Lewis, who died in August at the age
> of 91, your categories this week are:
>
> History: Nutty
> Sports: Professor
> Entertainment: Dean Martin
> Science: Muscular Dystrophy
> Geography: Lewis
> Literature: Lewis
>
> * A. History: Nutty
>
> A1. During World War II's Battle of the Bulge, German forces
> surrounded the Belgian town of Bastogne. When they
> demanded the American defenders surrender, what was the
> famous one-word reply from the US commander?
>
> A2. Name the ballet that premiered in St. Petersburg, Russia,
> in 1892.
Nutcracker

> * B. Sports: Professor
>
> B1. Which Hall of Fame manager of the New York Yankees was
> nicknamed "The Old Perfessor?"
Torre
> B2. Name the CFL Hall of Fame coach who was nicknamed "The
> Professor". He won 147 regular season games -- 3rd-best
> all time -- and 5 Grey Cups with Toronto and Ottawa.
Arsene Wenger :-)

> * C. Entertainment: Dean Martin
>
> C1. Jerry Lewis rocketed to stardom through his music-comedy
> act with Dean Martin. Within 2 years, how long was the
> team of Martin and Lewis together until their angry break-up?
10
> C2. In the 1986 comedy "Back to School", Ned Beatty plays the
> dean of the college that Rodney Dangerfield's character
> decides to attend. What was the surname of Beatty's
> character?
>

> * D. Science: Muscular Dystrophy
>
> D1. Jerry Lewis raised more than $2,600,000,000 US through
> his annual telethon for muscular dystrophy. Within 2 years,
> for how many years did Lewis host the Labor Day weekend show?
30
6

> * E. Geography: Lewis
>
> E1. Lewis and Harris is the largest island in which archipelago
> off the coast of Scotland?
Outer Hebrides
> E2. Name the largest community on Lewis and Harris. Hint:
> it shares its name with the official residence of the Leader
> of the Opposition in Ottawa.
Stornoway

> * F. Literature: Lewis
>
> F1. Lewis Carroll's first book was published in 1865. Name it.
> Exact answer required.
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
> F2. Who was the first American writer to be awarded the Nobel
> Prize in literature? First and last name required.
Ernest Hemingway, John Steinbeck

Peter Smyth

swp

Oct 28, 2017, 2:04:38 PM10/28/17
On Saturday, October 28, 2017 at 2:44:31 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-10-02,
> and should be interpreted accordingly.

noted

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 3, Round 9 - Science - Female Scientists

> ** Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round: Jerry Lewis
>
> By way of a tribute to Jerry Lewis, who died in August at the age
> of 91, your categories this week are:
>
> History: Nutty
> Sports: Professor
> Entertainment: Dean Martin
> Science: Muscular Dystrophy
> Geography: Lewis
> Literature: Lewis
>
> * A. History: Nutty
>
> A1. During World War II's Battle of the Bulge, German forces
> surrounded the Belgian town of Bastogne. When they
> demanded the American defenders surrender, what was the
> famous one-word reply from the US commander?

"nuts"

> A2. Name the ballet that premiered in St. Petersburg, Russia,
> in 1892.

the nutcracker

> * B. Sports: Professor
>
> B1. Which Hall of Fame manager of the New York Yankees was
> nicknamed "The Old Perfessor?"

casey stengel

> B2. Name the CFL Hall of Fame coach who was nicknamed "The
> Professor". He won 147 regular season games -- 3rd-best
> all time -- and 5 Grey Cups with Toronto and Ottawa.

frank clair

> * C. Entertainment: Dean Martin
>
> C1. Jerry Lewis rocketed to stardom through his music-comedy
> act with Dean Martin. Within 2 years, how long was the
> team of Martin and Lewis together until their angry break-up?

10 years

> C2. In the 1986 comedy "Back to School", Ned Beatty plays the
> dean of the college that Rodney Dangerfield's character
> decides to attend. What was the surname of Beatty's
> character?

dean david martin

> * D. Science: Muscular Dystrophy
>
> D1. Jerry Lewis raised more than $2,600,000,000 US through
> his annual telethon for muscular dystrophy. Within 2 years,
> for how many years did Lewis host the Labor Day weekend show?

44 years

> D2. Muscular dystrophy is a group of more than 30 diseases
> which weaken and break down skeletal muscles. Within 2,
> how many main categories of the disease are there?

nine

> * E. Geography: Lewis
>
> E1. Lewis and Harris is the largest island in which archipelago
> off the coast of Scotland?

outer hebrides

> E2. Name the largest community on Lewis and Harris. Hint:
> it shares its name with the official residence of the Leader
> of the Opposition in Ottawa.

stornoway

> * F. Literature: Lewis
>
> F1. Lewis Carroll's first book was published in 1865. Name it.
> Exact answer required.

alice's adventures in wonderland

> F2. Who was the first American writer to be awarded the Nobel
> Prize in literature? First and last name required.

sinclair lewis

swp

Joshua Kreitzer

Oct 29, 2017, 1:13:13 AM10/29/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:AsOdnZpKu-fXumnEnZ2dnUU7-
XPN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 3, Round 9 - Science - Female Scientists
>
> 1. Émilie du Châtelet was an 18th century scientist who wrote a
> number of scientific papers which she collaborated on during
> an affair with the philosopher Voltaire. And she was the first
> to translate *which seminal work* by Isaac Newton into French?

"Principia Mathematica"

> 2. This German woman became an astronomer after she and her
> brother moved to England in the 1770s. Together they discovered
> over 1000 star clusters and nebulas, and a number of comets and
> other astronomical phenomena. Her brother discovered Uranus.
> She is known as the first woman to have her work published by
> the Royal Society. What is her name? (First and last name
> required.)

Maria Heschel

> 3. Lise Meitner was fascinated by the work of Marie Curie and so
> followed her steps to work on radioactive elements. When her
> partner observed that uranium atoms would split when bombarded
> with neutrons she calculated the energy that was released,
> and coined *what term* for the splitting of an atoms nucleus?

fission

> 6. Dorothy Hodgkin received a Nobel Prize in 1964 for her imaging
> work using <answer 5>, having discovered the structure of a
> number of compounds in the human body such as penicillin, vitamin
> B12 -- and which hormone that plays a major role in diabetes?

insulin

> 8. Barbara McClintock was a geneticist who was the first to
> recognize transposable elements, or "jumping genes", in
> chromosomes. Initially disregarded, it wasn't until many
> years later (with better cell imaging) that her work was seen
> as revolutionary. She performed almost all of her genetic
> experiments on what plant?

corn

> 9. Rachel Carson was a conservationist focused on the use of
> pesticides. Years of work lead to the publishing of her book
> "Silent Spring", which is credited with the creation of the
> EPA as well as the general banning on *what pesticide*?

DDT

> 10. Jane Goodall is considered one of the world's experts on
> chimpanzee behavior, having spent over 50 years in the field
> studying wild chimpanzees. Using present-day place names,
> her work began in Gombe Stream National Park -- in which
> African country?

Tanzania

> ** Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round: Jerry Lewis
>
> * A. History: Nutty
>
> A1. During World War II's Battle of the Bulge, German forces
> surrounded the Belgian town of Bastogne. When they
> demanded the American defenders surrender, what was the
> famous one-word reply from the US commander?

"Nuts"

> A2. Name the ballet that premiered in St. Petersburg, Russia,
> in 1892.

"The Nutcracker"

> * B. Sports: Professor
>
> B1. Which Hall of Fame manager of the New York Yankees was
> nicknamed "The Old Perfessor?"

Casey Stengel

> * C. Entertainment: Dean Martin
>
> C1. Jerry Lewis rocketed to stardom through his music-comedy
> act with Dean Martin. Within 2 years, how long was the
> team of Martin and Lewis together until their angry break-up?

10 years

> C2. In the 1986 comedy "Back to School", Ned Beatty plays the
> dean of the college that Rodney Dangerfield's character
> decides to attend. What was the surname of Beatty's
> character?

Martin

> * D. Science: Muscular Dystrophy
>
> D1. Jerry Lewis raised more than $2,600,000,000 US through
> his annual telethon for muscular dystrophy. Within 2 years,
> for how many years did Lewis host the Labor Day weekend show?

45 years

8

> * E. Geography: Lewis
>
> E1. Lewis and Harris is the largest island in which archipelago
> off the coast of Scotland?

Orkney Islands; Shetland Islands

> * F. Literature: Lewis
>
> F1. Lewis Carroll's first book was published in 1865. Name it.
> Exact answer required.

"Alice's Adventures in Wonderland"

> F2. Who was the first American writer to be awarded the Nobel
> Prize in literature? First and last name required.

Eugene O'Neill; Sinclair Lewis

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Jason Kreitzer

Oct 29, 2017, 4:52:18 PM10/29/17
On Saturday, October 28, 2017 at 2:44:31 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
DDT
> 10. Jane Goodall is considered one of the world's experts on
> chimpanzee behavior, having spent over 50 years in the field
> studying wild chimpanzees. Using present-day place names,
> her work began in Gombe Stream National Park -- in which
> African country?
Tanzania?

> ** Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round: Jerry Lewis
>
> By way of a tribute to Jerry Lewis, who died in August at the age
> of 91, your categories this week are:
>
> History: Nutty
> Sports: Professor
> Entertainment: Dean Martin
> Science: Muscular Dystrophy
> Geography: Lewis
> Literature: Lewis
>
> * A. History: Nutty
>
> A1. During World War II's Battle of the Bulge, German forces
> surrounded the Belgian town of Bastogne. When they
> demanded the American defenders surrender, what was the
> famous one-word reply from the US commander?
"Nuts!"
> A2. Name the ballet that premiered in St. Petersburg, Russia,
> in 1892.
"The Nutcracker"

> * B. Sports: Professor
>
> B1. Which Hall of Fame manager of the New York Yankees was
> nicknamed "The Old Perfessor?"
>
> B2. Name the CFL Hall of Fame coach who was nicknamed "The
> Professor". He won 147 regular season games -- 3rd-best
> all time -- and 5 Grey Cups with Toronto and Ottawa.
>

> * C. Entertainment: Dean Martin
>
> C1. Jerry Lewis rocketed to stardom through his music-comedy
> act with Dean Martin. Within 2 years, how long was the
> team of Martin and Lewis together until their angry break-up?
>
> C2. In the 1986 comedy "Back to School", Ned Beatty plays the
> dean of the college that Rodney Dangerfield's character
> decides to attend. What was the surname of Beatty's
> character?
Martin

> * D. Science: Muscular Dystrophy
>
> D1. Jerry Lewis raised more than $2,600,000,000 US through
> his annual telethon for muscular dystrophy. Within 2 years,
> for how many years did Lewis host the Labor Day weekend show?
30

Gareth Owen

Oct 29, 2017, 5:09:03 PM10/29/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> 1. Émilie du Châtelet was an 18th century scientist who wrote a
> number of scientific papers which she collaborated on during
> an affair with the philosopher Voltaire. And she was the first
> to translate *which seminal work* by Isaac Newton into French?

Principiae Mathematica

> 2. This German woman became an astronomer after she and her
> brother moved to England in the 1770s. Together they discovered
> over 1000 star clusters and nebulas, and a number of comets and
> other astronomical phenomena. Her brother discovered Uranus.
> She is known as the first woman to have her work published by
> the Royal Society. What is her name? (First and last name
> required.)

Herschel

> 3. Lise Meitner was fascinated by the work of Marie Curie and so
> followed her steps to work on radioactive elements. When her
> partner observed that uranium atoms would split when bombarded
> with neutrons she calculated the energy that was released,
> and coined *what term* for the splitting of an atoms nucleus?

Fission

> 4. Chien-Shiung Wu has been called the "first lady of physics".
> She helped to separate uranium into isotopes, and she disproved
> the law of conservation of parity. She was also a part of what
> important physics organization or project in the 1940s?

Manhattan Project

> 5. Rosalind Franklin is well known nowadays as the behind-the-scenes
> hand in discovering the structure of DNA, as it was mainly her
> work that Watson and Crick built on. What type of imaging did
> she use? (After answering this question, please decode the
> rot13: Vs lbh whfg fnvq k-enlf, jr arrq zber. Nqq gur erfg.)

X-Ray Diffraction

> 6. Dorothy Hodgkin received a Nobel Prize in 1964 for her imaging
> work using <answer 5>, having discovered the structure of a
> number of compounds in the human body such as penicillin, vitamin
> B12 -- and which hormone that plays a major role in diabetes?

Insulin

> 7. Rita Levi-Montalcini was able to isolate a compound known
> as NGF from cancer tissues that were found to cause nerve cell
> growths. This compound was the first of its kind discovered,
> and is incredibly important for the proliferation and survival
> of nerve cells in the human body. The N in NGF stands for
> "nerve"; what does the GF mean?

Growth Factor

> 8. Barbara McClintock was a geneticist who was the first to
> recognize transposable elements, or "jumping genes", in
> chromosomes. Initially disregarded, it wasn't until many
> years later (with better cell imaging) that her work was seen
> as revolutionary. She performed almost all of her genetic
> experiments on what plant?

Peas

> 9. Rachel Carson was a conservationist focused on the use of
> pesticides. Years of work lead to the publishing of her book
> "Silent Spring", which is credited with the creation of the
> EPA as well as the general banning on *what pesticide*?

DDT

> 10. Jane Goodall is considered one of the world's experts on
> chimpanzee behavior, having spent over 50 years in the field
> studying wild chimpanzees. Using present-day place names,
> her work began in Gombe Stream National Park -- in which
> African country?

Rwanda

> A1. During World War II's Battle of the Bulge, German forces
> surrounded the Belgian town of Bastogne. When they
> demanded the American defenders surrender, what was the
> famous one-word reply from the US commander?

Nuts

> A2. Name the ballet that premiered in St. Petersburg, Russia,
> in 1892.

Nutcracker

> * B. Sports: Professor
>
> B1. Which Hall of Fame manager of the New York Yankees was
> nicknamed "The Old Perfessor?"

Casey Stengel

> B2. Name the CFL Hall of Fame coach who was nicknamed "The
> Professor". He won 147 regular season games -- 3rd-best
> all time -- and 5 Grey Cups with Toronto and Ottawa.
>

> * C. Entertainment: Dean Martin
>
> C1. Jerry Lewis rocketed to stardom through his music-comedy
> act with Dean Martin. Within 2 years, how long was the
> team of Martin and Lewis together until their angry break-up?

14 years

> C2. In the 1986 comedy "Back to School", Ned Beatty plays the
> dean of the college that Rodney Dangerfield's character
> decides to attend. What was the surname of Beatty's
> character?
>

> * D. Science: Muscular Dystrophy
>
> D1. Jerry Lewis raised more than $2,600,000,000 US through
> his annual telethon for muscular dystrophy. Within 2 years,
> for how many years did Lewis host the Labor Day weekend show?

37

> D2. Muscular dystrophy is a group of more than 30 diseases
> which weaken and break down skeletal muscles. Within 2,
> how many main categories of the disease are there?

4; 7

> * E. Geography: Lewis
>
> E1. Lewis and Harris is the largest island in which archipelago
> off the coast of Scotland?

Outer Hebrides

> E2. Name the largest community on Lewis and Harris. Hint:
> it shares its name with the official residence of the Leader
> of the Opposition in Ottawa.

Stornoway (good band, too)

> * F. Literature: Lewis
>
> F1. Lewis Carroll's first book was published in 1865. Name it.
> Exact answer required.

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

> F2. Who was the first American writer to be awarded the Nobel
> Prize in literature? First and last name required.

Ernest Hemingway; Upton Sinclair

Calvin

Oct 29, 2017, 7:53:23 PM10/29/17
On Saturday, October 28, 2017 at 4:44:31 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 9 - Science - Female Scientists
>
> 1. Émilie du Châtelet was an 18th century scientist who wrote a
> number of scientific papers which she collaborated on during
> an affair with the philosopher Voltaire. And she was the first
> to translate *which seminal work* by Isaac Newton into French?

Principa Mathematica

> 2. This German woman became an astronomer after she and her
> brother moved to England in the 1770s. Together they discovered
> over 1000 star clusters and nebulas, and a number of comets and
> other astronomical phenomena. Her brother discovered Uranus.
> She is known as the first woman to have her work published by
> the Royal Society. What is her name? (First and last name
> required.)

Heidi Herschell, Gertrude Herschell :-)

> 3. Lise Meitner was fascinated by the work of Marie Curie and so
> followed her steps to work on radioactive elements. When her
> partner observed that uranium atoms would split when bombarded
> with neutrons she calculated the energy that was released,
> and coined *what term* for the splitting of an atoms nucleus?
>
> 4. Chien-Shiung Wu has been called the "first lady of physics".
> She helped to separate uranium into isotopes, and she disproved
> the law of conservation of parity. She was also a part of what
> important physics organization or project in the 1940s?

Manhattan Project

> 5. Rosalind Franklin is well known nowadays as the behind-the-scenes
> hand in discovering the structure of DNA, as it was mainly her
> work that Watson and Crick built on. What type of imaging did
> she use? (After answering this question, please decode the
> rot13: Vs lbh whfg fnvq k-enlf, jr arrq zber. Nqq gur erfg.)
>
> 6. Dorothy Hodgkin received a Nobel Prize in 1964 for her imaging
> work using <answer 5>, having discovered the structure of a
> number of compounds in the human body such as penicillin, vitamin
> B12 -- and which hormone that plays a major role in diabetes?

Insulin

> 7. Rita Levi-Montalcini was able to isolate a compound known
> as NGF from cancer tissues that were found to cause nerve cell
> growths. This compound was the first of its kind discovered,
> and is incredibly important for the proliferation and survival
> of nerve cells in the human body. The N in NGF stands for
> "nerve"; what does the GF mean?
>
> 8. Barbara McClintock was a geneticist who was the first to
> recognize transposable elements, or "jumping genes", in
> chromosomes. Initially disregarded, it wasn't until many
> years later (with better cell imaging) that her work was seen
> as revolutionary. She performed almost all of her genetic
> experiments on what plant?
>
> 9. Rachel Carson was a conservationist focused on the use of
> pesticides. Years of work lead to the publishing of her book
> "Silent Spring", which is credited with the creation of the
> EPA as well as the general banning on *what pesticide*?

DDT

> 10. Jane Goodall is considered one of the world's experts on
> chimpanzee behavior, having spent over 50 years in the field
> studying wild chimpanzees. Using present-day place names,
> her work began in Gombe Stream National Park -- in which
> African country?

Uganda, Kenya

> ** Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round: Jerry Lewis
>
> By way of a tribute to Jerry Lewis, who died in August at the age
> of 91, your categories this week are:
>
> History: Nutty
> Sports: Professor
> Entertainment: Dean Martin
> Science: Muscular Dystrophy
> Geography: Lewis
> Literature: Lewis
>
> * A. History: Nutty
>
> A1. During World War II's Battle of the Bulge, German forces
> surrounded the Belgian town of Bastogne. When they
> demanded the American defenders surrender, what was the
> famous one-word reply from the US commander?
>
> A2. Name the ballet that premiered in St. Petersburg, Russia,
> in 1892.

The Nutcracker

> * B. Sports: Professor
>
> B1. Which Hall of Fame manager of the New York Yankees was
> nicknamed "The Old Perfessor?"
>
> B2. Name the CFL Hall of Fame coach who was nicknamed "The
> Professor". He won 147 regular season games -- 3rd-best
> all time -- and 5 Grey Cups with Toronto and Ottawa.
>

> * C. Entertainment: Dean Martin
>
> C1. Jerry Lewis rocketed to stardom through his music-comedy
> act with Dean Martin. Within 2 years, how long was the
> team of Martin and Lewis together until their angry break-up?

5, 10

> C2. In the 1986 comedy "Back to School", Ned Beatty plays the
> dean of the college that Rodney Dangerfield's character
> decides to attend. What was the surname of Beatty's
> character?
>

> * D. Science: Muscular Dystrophy
>
> D1. Jerry Lewis raised more than $2,600,000,000 US through
> his annual telethon for muscular dystrophy. Within 2 years,
> for how many years did Lewis host the Labor Day weekend show?

25, 30

> D2. Muscular dystrophy is a group of more than 30 diseases
> which weaken and break down skeletal muscles. Within 2,
> how many main categories of the disease are there?

5, 10

> * E. Geography: Lewis
>
> E1. Lewis and Harris is the largest island in which archipelago
> off the coast of Scotland?

Inner Hebrides, Shetlands

> E2. Name the largest community on Lewis and Harris. Hint:
> it shares its name with the official residence of the Leader
> of the Opposition in Ottawa.
>

> * F. Literature: Lewis
>
> F1. Lewis Carroll's first book was published in 1865. Name it.
> Exact answer required.

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

> F2. Who was the first American writer to be awarded the Nobel
> Prize in literature? First and last name required.

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

Oct 30, 2017, 2:09:03 AM10/30/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 9 - Science - Female Scientists
>
> 1. Émilie du Châtelet was an 18th century scientist who wrote a
> number of scientific papers which she collaborated on during
> an affair with the philosopher Voltaire. And she was the first
> to translate *which seminal work* by Isaac Newton into French?

Philisophiae Principia

> 2. This German woman became an astronomer after she and her
> brother moved to England in the 1770s. Together they discovered
> over 1000 star clusters and nebulas, and a number of comets and
> other astronomical phenomena. Her brother discovered Uranus.
> She is known as the first woman to have her work published by
> the Royal Society. What is her name? (First and last name
> required.)

Caroline Herschel

> 3. Lise Meitner was fascinated by the work of Marie Curie and so
> followed her steps to work on radioactive elements. When her
> partner observed that uranium atoms would split when bombarded
> with neutrons she calculated the energy that was released,
> and coined *what term* for the splitting of an atoms nucleus?

fission

> 4. Chien-Shiung Wu has been called the "first lady of physics".
> She helped to separate uranium into isotopes, and she disproved
> the law of conservation of parity. She was also a part of what
> important physics organization or project in the 1940s?

Manhattan Project

> 5. Rosalind Franklin is well known nowadays as the behind-the-scenes
> hand in discovering the structure of DNA, as it was mainly her
> work that Watson and Crick built on. What type of imaging did
> she use? (After answering this question, please decode the
> rot13: Vs lbh whfg fnvq k-enlf, jr arrq zber. Nqq gur erfg.)

X-ray crystallography

> 6. Dorothy Hodgkin received a Nobel Prize in 1964 for her imaging
> work using <answer 5>, having discovered the structure of a
> number of compounds in the human body such as penicillin, vitamin
> B12 -- and which hormone that plays a major role in diabetes?

insulin

> 7. Rita Levi-Montalcini was able to isolate a compound known
> as NGF from cancer tissues that were found to cause nerve cell
> growths. This compound was the first of its kind discovered,
> and is incredibly important for the proliferation and survival
> of nerve cells in the human body. The N in NGF stands for
> "nerve"; what does the GF mean?

growth factor

> 8. Barbara McClintock was a geneticist who was the first to
> recognize transposable elements, or "jumping genes", in
> chromosomes. Initially disregarded, it wasn't until many
> years later (with better cell imaging) that her work was seen
> as revolutionary. She performed almost all of her genetic
> experiments on what plant?

maize

> 9. Rachel Carson was a conservationist focused on the use of
> pesticides. Years of work lead to the publishing of her book
> "Silent Spring", which is credited with the creation of the
> EPA as well as the general banning on *what pesticide*?

DDT

> 10. Jane Goodall is considered one of the world's experts on
> chimpanzee behavior, having spent over 50 years in the field
> studying wild chimpanzees. Using present-day place names,
> her work began in Gombe Stream National Park -- in which
> African country?

Kenya

> ** Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round: Jerry Lewis
>
> By way of a tribute to Jerry Lewis, who died in August at the age
> of 91, your categories this week are:
>
> History: Nutty
> Sports: Professor
> Entertainment: Dean Martin
> Science: Muscular Dystrophy
> Geography: Lewis
> Literature: Lewis
>
> * A. History: Nutty
>
> A1. During World War II's Battle of the Bulge, German forces
> surrounded the Belgian town of Bastogne. When they
> demanded the American defenders surrender, what was the
> famous one-word reply from the US commander?

Nuts

> A2. Name the ballet that premiered in St. Petersburg, Russia,
> in 1892.

Nutcracker Suite

> * B. Sports: Professor
>
> B1. Which Hall of Fame manager of the New York Yankees was
> nicknamed "The Old Perfessor?"

Yogi Berra

> B2. Name the CFL Hall of Fame coach who was nicknamed "The
> Professor". He won 147 regular season games -- 3rd-best
> all time -- and 5 Grey Cups with Toronto and Ottawa.
>

> * C. Entertainment: Dean Martin
>
> C1. Jerry Lewis rocketed to stardom through his music-comedy
> act with Dean Martin. Within 2 years, how long was the
> team of Martin and Lewis together until their angry break-up?

18

> C2. In the 1986 comedy "Back to School", Ned Beatty plays the
> dean of the college that Rodney Dangerfield's character
> decides to attend. What was the surname of Beatty's
> character?
>

> * D. Science: Muscular Dystrophy
>
> D1. Jerry Lewis raised more than $2,600,000,000 US through
> his annual telethon for muscular dystrophy. Within 2 years,
> for how many years did Lewis host the Labor Day weekend show?

26

4

> * E. Geography: Lewis
>
> E1. Lewis and Harris is the largest island in which archipelago
> off the coast of Scotland?

Outer Hebrides

> E2. Name the largest community on Lewis and Harris. Hint:
> it shares its name with the official residence of the Leader
> of the Opposition in Ottawa.
>

> * F. Literature: Lewis
>
> F1. Lewis Carroll's first book was published in 1865. Name it.
> Exact answer required.

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

> F2. Who was the first American writer to be awarded the Nobel
> Prize in literature? First and last name required.

--
Dan Tilque

Pete Gayde

Oct 30, 2017, 4:15:41 PM10/30/17
> [...]

> "nerve"; what does the GF mean?
>
> 8. Barbara McClintock was a geneticist who was the first to
> recognize transposable elements, or "jumping genes", in
> chromosomes. Initially disregarded, it wasn't until many
> years later (with better cell imaging) that her work was seen
> as revolutionary. She performed almost all of her genetic
> experiments on what plant?
>
> 9. Rachel Carson was a conservationist focused on the use of
> pesticides. Years of work lead to the publishing of her book
> "Silent Spring", which is credited with the creation of the
> EPA as well as the general banning on *what pesticide*?

DDT

> 10. Jane Goodall is considered one of the world's experts on
> chimpanzee behavior, having spent over 50 years in the field
> studying wild chimpanzees. Using present-day place names,
> her work began in Gombe Stream National Park -- in which

Tanzania; Kenya

> ** Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round: Jerry Lewis
>
> By way of a tribute to Jerry Lewis, who died in August at the age
> of 91, your categories this week are:
>
> History: Nutty
> Sports: Professor
> Entertainment: Dean Martin
> Science: Muscular Dystrophy
> Geography: Lewis
> Literature: Lewis
>
> * A. History: Nutty
>
> A1. During World War II's Battle of the Bulge, German forces
> surrounded the Belgian town of Bastogne. When they
> demanded the American defenders surrender, what was the
> famous one-word reply from the US commander?

Nuts

> A2. Name the ballet that premiered in St. Petersburg, Russia,
> in 1892.

The Nutcracker

> * B. Sports: Professor
>
> B1. Which Hall of Fame manager of the New York Yankees was
> nicknamed "The Old Perfessor?"

Casey Stengel

> B2. Name the CFL Hall of Fame coach who was nicknamed "The
> Professor". He won 147 regular season games -- 3rd-best
> all time -- and 5 Grey Cups with Toronto and Ottawa.

Levy

> * C. Entertainment: Dean Martin
>
> C1. Jerry Lewis rocketed to stardom through his music-comedy
> act with Dean Martin. Within 2 years, how long was the
> team of Martin and Lewis together until their angry break-up?

10

> C2. In the 1986 comedy "Back to School", Ned Beatty plays the
> dean of the college that Rodney Dangerfield's character
> decides to attend. What was the surname of Beatty's
> character?
>

> * D. Science: Muscular Dystrophy
>
> D1. Jerry Lewis raised more than $2,600,000,000 US through
> his annual telethon for muscular dystrophy. Within 2 years,
> for how many years did Lewis host the Labor Day weekend show?

40; 45

> D2. Muscular dystrophy is a group of more than 30 diseases
> which weaken and break down skeletal muscles. Within 2,
> how many main categories of the disease are there?

4; 9

> * E. Geography: Lewis
>
> E1. Lewis and Harris is the largest island in which archipelago
> off the coast of Scotland?

Orkneys

> E2. Name the largest community on Lewis and Harris. Hint:
> it shares its name with the official residence of the Leader
> of the Opposition in Ottawa.

Kingston

> * F. Literature: Lewis
>
> F1. Lewis Carroll's first book was published in 1865. Name it.
> Exact answer required.
>
> F2. Who was the first American writer to be awarded the Nobel
> Prize in literature? First and last name required.

Sinclair Lewis

Pete Gayde

Marc Dashevsky

Oct 30, 2017, 6:07:51 PM10/30/17
In article <AsOdnZpKu-fXumnE...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 3, Round 9 - Science - Female Scientists
>
> 1. Émilie du Châtelet was an 18th century scientist who wrote a
> number of scientific papers which she collaborated on during
> an affair with the philosopher Voltaire. And she was the first
> to translate *which seminal work* by Isaac Newton into French?
Principlia

> 2. This German woman became an astronomer after she and her
> brother moved to England in the 1770s. Together they discovered
> over 1000 star clusters and nebulas, and a number of comets and
> other astronomical phenomena. Her brother discovered Uranus.
> She is known as the first woman to have her work published by
> the Royal Society. What is her name? (First and last name
> required.)
>
> 3. Lise Meitner was fascinated by the work of Marie Curie and so
> followed her steps to work on radioactive elements. When her
> partner observed that uranium atoms would split when bombarded
> with neutrons she calculated the energy that was released,
> and coined *what term* for the splitting of an atoms nucleus?
fission

> 4. Chien-Shiung Wu has been called the "first lady of physics".
> She helped to separate uranium into isotopes, and she disproved
> the law of conservation of parity. She was also a part of what
> important physics organization or project in the 1940s?
>
> 5. Rosalind Franklin is well known nowadays as the behind-the-scenes
> hand in discovering the structure of DNA, as it was mainly her
> work that Watson and Crick built on. What type of imaging did
> she use? (After answering this question, please decode the
> rot13: Vs lbh whfg fnvq k-enlf, jr arrq zber. Nqq gur erfg.)
X-ray crystallography

> 6. Dorothy Hodgkin received a Nobel Prize in 1964 for her imaging
> work using <answer 5>, having discovered the structure of a
> number of compounds in the human body such as penicillin, vitamin
> B12 -- and which hormone that plays a major role in diabetes?
insulin

> 7. Rita Levi-Montalcini was able to isolate a compound known
> as NGF from cancer tissues that were found to cause nerve cell
> growths. This compound was the first of its kind discovered,
> and is incredibly important for the proliferation and survival
> of nerve cells in the human body. The N in NGF stands for
> "nerve"; what does the GF mean?
growth factor

> 8. Barbara McClintock was a geneticist who was the first to
> recognize transposable elements, or "jumping genes", in
> chromosomes. Initially disregarded, it wasn't until many
> years later (with better cell imaging) that her work was seen
> as revolutionary. She performed almost all of her genetic
> experiments on what plant?
pea

> 9. Rachel Carson was a conservationist focused on the use of
> pesticides. Years of work lead to the publishing of her book
> "Silent Spring", which is credited with the creation of the
> EPA as well as the general banning on *what pesticide*?
DDT

> 10. Jane Goodall is considered one of the world's experts on
> chimpanzee behavior, having spent over 50 years in the field
> studying wild chimpanzees. Using present-day place names,
> her work began in Gombe Stream National Park -- in which
> African country?
Tanzania

> ** Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round: Jerry Lewis
>
> By way of a tribute to Jerry Lewis, who died in August at the age
> of 91, your categories this week are:
>
> History: Nutty
> Sports: Professor
> Entertainment: Dean Martin
> Science: Muscular Dystrophy
> Geography: Lewis
> Literature: Lewis
>
> * A. History: Nutty
>
> A1. During World War II's Battle of the Bulge, German forces
> surrounded the Belgian town of Bastogne. When they
> demanded the American defenders surrender, what was the
> famous one-word reply from the US commander?
nuts

> A2. Name the ballet that premiered in St. Petersburg, Russia,
> in 1892.
The Nutcracker

> * B. Sports: Professor
>
> B1. Which Hall of Fame manager of the New York Yankees was
> nicknamed "The Old Perfessor?"
Casey Stengel

> B2. Name the CFL Hall of Fame coach who was nicknamed "The
> Professor". He won 147 regular season games -- 3rd-best
> all time -- and 5 Grey Cups with Toronto and Ottawa.
>

> * C. Entertainment: Dean Martin
>
> C1. Jerry Lewis rocketed to stardom through his music-comedy
> act with Dean Martin. Within 2 years, how long was the
> team of Martin and Lewis together until their angry break-up?
12

> C2. In the 1986 comedy "Back to School", Ned Beatty plays the
> dean of the college that Rodney Dangerfield's character
> decides to attend. What was the surname of Beatty's
> character?
>

> * D. Science: Muscular Dystrophy
>
> D1. Jerry Lewis raised more than $2,600,000,000 US through
> his annual telethon for muscular dystrophy. Within 2 years,
> for how many years did Lewis host the Labor Day weekend show?
52

> D2. Muscular dystrophy is a group of more than 30 diseases
> which weaken and break down skeletal muscles. Within 2,
> how many main categories of the disease are there?
>

> * E. Geography: Lewis
>
> E1. Lewis and Harris is the largest island in which archipelago
> off the coast of Scotland?
Inner Hebrides

> E2. Name the largest community on Lewis and Harris. Hint:
> it shares its name with the official residence of the Leader
> of the Opposition in Ottawa.
>

> * F. Literature: Lewis
>
> F1. Lewis Carroll's first book was published in 1865. Name it.
> Exact answer required.
>
> F2. Who was the first American writer to be awarded the Nobel
> Prize in literature? First and last name required.

---
http://www.avg.com

Mark Brader

Oct 31, 2017, 1:28:20 AM10/31/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-10-02,
> see my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Game 3 is over and the winner is JOSHUA KREITZER -- though it looks
awfully much as though this only happened because Stephen Perry
somehow sabotaged himself by skipping Round 9. Hearty congratulations
to Joshua anyway!

> * Game 3, Round 9 - Science - Female Scientists

> 1. Émilie du Châtelet was an 18th century scientist who wrote a
> number of scientific papers which she collaborated on during
> an affair with the philosopher Voltaire. And she was the first
> to translate *which seminal work* by Isaac Newton into French?

"Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica". Any short version
containing "Principia" was acceptable. 4 for Dan Blum, Peter,
Joshua, Gareth, Calvin, Dan Tilque, Pete, and Marc.

> 2. This German woman became an astronomer after she and her
> brother moved to England in the 1770s. Together they discovered
> over 1000 star clusters and nebulas, and a number of comets and
> other astronomical phenomena. Her brother discovered Uranus.
> She is known as the first woman to have her work published by
> the Royal Society. What is her name? (First and last name
> required.)

Caroline (or Karoline) Herschel. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 3. Lise Meitner was fascinated by the work of Marie Curie and so
> followed her steps to work on radioactive elements. When her
> partner observed that uranium atoms would split when bombarded
> with neutrons she calculated the energy that was released,
> and coined *what term* for the splitting of an atoms nucleus?

Fission. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Peter, Joshua, Gareth, Dan Tilque,
Pete, and Marc.

> 4. Chien-Shiung Wu has been called the "first lady of physics".
> She helped to separate uranium into isotopes, and she disproved
> the law of conservation of parity. She was also a part of what
> important physics organization or project in the 1940s?

Manhattan Project. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Peter, Gareth, Calvin,
Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 5. Rosalind Franklin is well known nowadays as the behind-the-scenes
> hand in discovering the structure of DNA, as it was mainly her
> work that Watson and Crick built on. What type of imaging did
> she use?

X-ray crystallography. I also accepted x-ray diffraction; "x-ray"
alone was insufficient. 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Gareth, Dan Tilque,
and Marc.

> 6. Dorothy Hodgkin received a Nobel Prize in 1964 for her imaging
> work using <answer 5>, having discovered the structure of a
> number of compounds in the human body such as penicillin, vitamin
> B12 -- and which hormone that plays a major role in diabetes?

Insulin. 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Joshua, Gareth, Calvin, Dan Tilque,
Pete, and Marc.

> 7. Rita Levi-Montalcini was able to isolate a compound known
> as NGF from cancer tissues that were found to cause nerve cell
> growths. This compound was the first of its kind discovered,
> and is incredibly important for the proliferation and survival
> of nerve cells in the human body. The N in NGF stands for
> "nerve"; what does the GF mean?

"Growth factor". 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Gareth, Dan Tilque, and Marc.

> 8. Barbara McClintock was a geneticist who was the first to
> recognize transposable elements, or "jumping genes", in
> chromosomes. Initially disregarded, it wasn't until many
> years later (with better cell imaging) that her work was seen
> as revolutionary. She performed almost all of her genetic
> experiments on what plant?

Corn (maize). 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque. 2 for Dan Blum.

> 9. Rachel Carson was a conservationist focused on the use of
> pesticides. Years of work lead to the publishing of her book
> "Silent Spring", which is credited with the creation of the
> EPA as well as the general banning on *what pesticide*?

Dichlorodiphenyltrichloroethane, better known as DDT. 4 for Erland,
Dan Blum, Peter, Joshua, Jason, Gareth, Calvin, Dan Tilque, Pete,
and Marc.

> 10. Jane Goodall is considered one of the world's experts on
> chimpanzee behavior, having spent over 50 years in the field
> studying wild chimpanzees. Using present-day place names,
> her work began in Gombe Stream National Park -- in which
> African country?

Tanzania. 4 for Joshua, Jason, and Marc. 3 for Pete. 2 for
Dan Blum.

This came up on the 2017-10-20 episode of "Jeopardy!", but in their
case they mentioned the country and asked for her name. It was
answered correctly.

> ** Game 3, Round 10 - Challenge Round: Jerry Lewis

> By way of a tribute to Jerry Lewis, who died in August at the age
> of 91, your categories this week are:

> History: Nutty
> Sports: Professor
> Entertainment: Dean Martin
> Science: Muscular Dystrophy
> Geography: Lewis
> Literature: Lewis

> * A. History: Nutty

> A1. During World War II's Battle of the Bulge, German forces
> surrounded the Belgian town of Bastogne. When they
> demanded the American defenders surrender, what was the
> famous one-word reply from the US commander?

"Nuts!" (said Gen. Anthony McAuliffe). 4 for Erland, Dan Blum,
Stephen, Joshua, Jason, Gareth, Dan Tilque, Pete, and Marc.

> A2. Name the ballet that premiered in St. Petersburg, Russia,
> in 1892.

"The Nutcracker" (or "Shchyelkunchk"). No points for "Nutcracker
Suite", which is just some of the music from the ballet played on
its own. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Peter, Stephen, Joshua, Jason,
Gareth, Calvin, Pete, and Marc.

> * B. Sports: Professor

> B1. Which Hall of Fame manager of the New York Yankees was
> nicknamed "The Old Perfessor?"

Casey Stengel. 4 for Stephen, Joshua, Gareth, Pete, and Marc.

> B2. Name the CFL Hall of Fame coach who was nicknamed "The
> Professor". He won 147 regular season games -- 3rd-best
> all time -- and 5 Grey Cups with Toronto and Ottawa.

Frank Clair. 4 for Stephen.

> * C. Entertainment: Dean Martin

> C1. Jerry Lewis rocketed to stardom through his music-comedy
> act with Dean Martin. Within 2 years, how long was the
> team of Martin and Lewis together until their angry break-up?

10 (accepting 8-12). The years were 1946-56. 4 for Peter, Stephen,
Joshua, Pete, and Marc. 3 for Dan Blum. 2 for Calvin.

> C2. In the 1986 comedy "Back to School", Ned Beatty plays the
> dean of the college that Rodney Dangerfield's character
> decides to attend. What was the surname of Beatty's
> character?

Martin. ("Dean Martin", get it?) 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Jason.
3 for Stephen.

> * D. Science: Muscular Dystrophy

> D1. Jerry Lewis raised more than $2,600,000,000 US through
> his annual telethon for muscular dystrophy. Within 2 years,
> for how many years did Lewis host the Labor Day weekend show?

45 (accepting 43-47) years: 1966-2010 inclusive. 4 for Stephen
and Joshua. 2 for Pete.

> D2. Muscular dystrophy is a group of more than 30 diseases
> which weaken and break down skeletal muscles. Within 2,
> how many main categories of the disease are there?

9 (accepting 7-11). 4 for Stephen and Joshua. 2 for Dan Blum,
Gareth, Calvin, and Pete.

> * E. Geography: Lewis

> E1. Lewis and Harris is the largest island in which archipelago
> off the coast of Scotland?

Outer Hebrides (Hebrides was sufficient; also accepting Western Isles;
and since this question had no warning analogous to the standard
"give more than the surname at your own risk" for questions asking
for a name, I decided to also accept the Inner Hebrides. 4 for Peter,
Stephen, Gareth, Dan Tilque, and Marc. 3 for Calvin. 2 for Dan Blum.

> E2. Name the largest community on Lewis and Harris. Hint:
> it shares its name with the official residence of the Leader
> of the Opposition in Ottawa.

Stornoway. 4 for Peter, Stephen, and Gareth.

> * F. Literature: Lewis

> F1. Lewis Carroll's first book was published in 1865. Name it.
> Exact answer required.

"Alice's Adventures in Wonderland". 4 for Peter, Stephen, Joshua,
Gareth, Calvin, and Dan Tilque.

No points for "Alice's Adventures Underground", which was only the
book's working title before publication. A protest of this answer
in the original game was denied.

> F2. Who was the first American writer to be awarded the Nobel
> Prize in literature? First and last name required.

Sinclair Lewis (in 1930). The category title might have been a hint.
4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, and Pete. 2 for Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 3 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Can Geo Lit Spo Ent Mis Sci Cha SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 8 32 36 40 36 32 24 34 210
Stephen Perry -- -- 40 40 40 36 0 47 203
Gareth Owen -- -- 32 33 36 36 28 26 191
Dan Blum 7 16 32 20 28 22 32 23 157
Peter Smyth 8 29 4 40 28 12 28 20 157
Pete Gayde 0 9 16 32 32 20 23 24 147
"Calvin" 9 26 8 36 27 24 16 15 144
Dan Tilque 4 24 20 28 -- -- 36 12 124
Erland Sommarskog 0 28 7 29 0 20 12 8 104
Jason Kreitzer 0 4 8 8 32 16 8 12 84
Marc Dashevsky -- -- 32 0 -- -- 28 20 80

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | WARNING: This Product Warps Space and Time
m...@vex.net | in Its Vicinity. --JIR

swp

Oct 31, 2017, 7:54:47 PM10/31/17
On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 1:28:20 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> Mark Brader:
> > These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-10-02,
> > and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information
> > see my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> > Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>
> Game 3 is over and the winner is JOSHUA KREITZER -- though it looks
> awfully much as though this only happened because Stephen Perry
> somehow sabotaged himself by skipping Round 9. Hearty congratulations
> to Joshua anyway!

upon further reflection, I should have checked before hitting post. I think I inadvertently selected the text of round 9 and either hit the space bar (likely) or delete (unlikely).

swp