Calvin's Quiz #559

Calvin

Apr 14, 2019, 8:41:34 PM4/14/19

1 Everton Weekes represented which team in international cricket?
2 What links the hit songs "Smells Like Teen Spirit", "Achy Breaky Heart", "Born This Way", "Like a Virgin", "Money for Nothing" and "Beat It", among many others?
3 Which complex yet ubiquitous natural structures have variously been defined as "never-ending patterns", "a non-regular geometric shape that has the same degree of non-regularity on all scales", and "seemingly-irregular shapes formed by repeated subdivisions of a basic form"?
4 Which national symbol appears on the coat of arms of the Republic of Ireland?
5 In which religion are Shiva and Vishnu major gods?
6 Singers Leonard Cohen and Celine Dion are/were of what nationality?
7 Members of pop group The Wiggles wear what distinctive style of clothing?
8 By area, what is the second largest state in the USA?
9 Which Australian actress portrayed Samantha Stevens in the 2005 film version of 'Bewitched'?
10 In relation to superannuation, what does the abbreviation SMSF stand for?

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Apr 15, 2019, 12:22:17 AM4/15/19
Calvin:
> 1 Everton Weekes represented which team in international cricket?

Pakistan?

> 2 What links the hit songs "Smells Like Teen Spirit", "Achy
> Breaky Heart", "Born This Way", "Like a Virgin", "Money for
> Nothing" and "Beat It", among many others?

First #1 hit for their respective singers/bands?

> 3 Which complex yet ubiquitous natural structures have variously
> been defined as "never-ending patterns", "a non-regular geometric
> shape that has the same degree of non-regularity on all scales",
> and "seemingly-irregular shapes formed by repeated subdivisions
> of a basic form"?

Fractals.

> 4 Which national symbol appears on the coat of arms of the
> Republic of Ireland?

Shamrock?

> 5 In which religion are Shiva and Vishnu major gods?

Hinduism.

> 6 Singers Leonard Cohen and Celine Dion are/were of what nationality?

Canadian.

> 7 Members of pop group The Wiggles wear what distinctive style of
> clothing?
> 8 By area, what is the second largest state in the USA?

Texas.

> 9 Which Australian actress portrayed Samantha Stevens in the 2005
> film version of 'Bewitched'?

Kidman.

> 10 In relation to superannuation, what does the abbreviation SMSF
> stand for?

I wanted to try a silly answer, but I couldn't think of one that would
fit. I'll guess it's Australian for RRSP, but since I doubt you'll
consider that a sufficient answer, I'll go on to guess the expansion
"Segregated-Money Superannuation Fund".
--
Mark Brader "They're trying to invent a new crime:
Toronto interference with a business model."

Erland Sommarskog

Apr 15, 2019, 2:27:53 AM4/15/19
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 Everton Weekes represented which team in international cricket?

South Africa

> 2 What links the hit songs "Smells Like Teen Spirit", "Achy Breaky
> Heart", "Born This Way", "Like a Virgin", "Money for Nothing" and "Beat
> It", among many others?

Big hits

> 3 Which complex yet ubiquitous natural structures have variously
> been defined as "never-ending patterns", "a non-regular geometric shape
> that has the same degree of non-regularity on all scales", and
> "seemingly-irregular shapes formed by repeated subdivisions of a basic
> form"?

Fractals

> 5 In which religion are Shiva and Vishnu major gods?

Hinduism

> 6 Singers Leonard Cohen and Celine Dion are/were of what nationality?

Markbraderian

> 8 By area, what is the second largest state in the USA?

Texas

Pete Gayde

Apr 15, 2019, 9:00:08 PM4/15/19
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 Everton Weekes represented which team in international cricket?

West Indies

> 2 What links the hit songs "Smells Like Teen Spirit", "Achy Breaky
> Heart", "Born This Way", "Like a Virgin", "Money for Nothing" and
> "Beat It", among many others?

MTV award winning videos

> 3 Which complex yet ubiquitous
> natural structures have variously been defined as "never-ending
> patterns", "a non-regular geometric shape that has the same degree of
> non-regularity on all scales", and "seemingly-irregular shapes formed
> by repeated subdivisions of a basic form"?

Fractals

> 4 Which national symbol
> appears on the coat of arms of the Republic of Ireland?

Clover

> 5 In which religion are Shiva and Vishnu major gods?

Hinduism

> 6 Singers Leonard Cohen
> and Celine Dion are/were of what nationality?

Canadian

> 7 Members of pop
> group The Wiggles wear what distinctive style of clothing?
> 8 By area, what is the second largest state in the USA?

Texas

> 9 Which
> Australian actress portrayed Samantha Stevens in the 2005 film
> version of 'Bewitched'?

Nicole Kidman

> 10 In relation to superannuation, what
> does the abbreviation SMSF stand for?
>

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Dan Tilque

Apr 16, 2019, 1:24:39 AM4/16/19
Calvin wrote:
> 1 Everton Weekes represented which team in international cricket?

New Zealand

> 2 What links the hit songs "Smells Like Teen Spirit", "Achy Breaky Heart", "Born This Way", "Like a Virgin", "Money for Nothing" and "Beat It", among many others?

Billboard #1

> 3 Which complex yet ubiquitous natural structures have variously been defined as "never-ending patterns", "a non-regular geometric shape that has the same degree of non-regularity on all scales", and "seemingly-irregular shapes formed by repeated subdivisions of a basic form"?

fractals

> 4 Which national symbol appears on the coat of arms of the Republic of Ireland?

harp

> 5 In which religion are Shiva and Vishnu major gods?

Hinduism

> 6 Singers Leonard Cohen and Celine Dion are/were of what nationality?

Canadian

> 7 Members of pop group The Wiggles wear what distinctive style of clothing?
> 8 By area, what is the second largest state in the USA?

Texas

> 9 Which Australian actress portrayed Samantha Stevens in the 2005 film version of 'Bewitched'?
> 10 In relation to superannuation, what does the abbreviation SMSF stand for?

--
Dan Tilque

Dan Blum

Apr 22, 2019, 8:56:39 PM4/22/19
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2 What links the hit songs "Smells Like Teen Spirit", "Achy Breaky Heart", "Born This Way", "Like a Virgin", "Money for Nothing" and "Beat It", among many others?

Al Yankovic has parodied them

> 3 Which complex yet ubiquitous natural structures have variously been defined as "never-ending patterns", "a non-regular geometric shape that has the same degree of non-regularity on all scales", and "seemingly-irregular shapes formed by repeated subdivisions of a basic form"?

fractals

> 4 Which national symbol appears on the coat of arms of the Republic of Ireland?

harp

> 5 In which religion are Shiva and Vishnu major gods?

Hinduism

> 6 Singers Leonard Cohen and Celine Dion are/were of what nationality?

Canadian

> 8 By area, what is the second largest state in the USA?

Texas

> 9 Which Australian actress portrayed Samantha Stevens in the 2005 film version??of 'Bewitched'?

Nicole Kidman

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Mark Brader

Apr 22, 2019, 10:55:00 PM4/22/19
Dan Blum:
> Al Yankovic has parodied them

(Applause)
--
Mark Brader | In order that there may be no doubt as to which is the
Toronto | bottom and which is the top ... the bottom of each

Calvin

Apr 23, 2019, 7:23:48 PM4/23/19
On Monday, April 15, 2019 at 10:41:34 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

Apologies for the delay. Easter and all that.

> 1 Everton Weekes represented which team in international cricket?

West Indies
Singleton for Pete
And for future reference, if a question asks for an international cricket team (as opposed to nation) then the answer is almost certainly the West Indies.

> 2 What links the hit songs "Smells Like Teen Spirit", "Achy Breaky Heart", "Born This Way", "Like a Virgin", "Money for Nothing" and "Beat It", among many others?

Weird Al Yankovich parodies
Singleton for Dan B

> 3 Which complex yet ubiquitous natural structures have variously been defined as "never-ending patterns", "a non-regular geometric shape that has the same degree of non-regularity on all scales", and "seemingly-irregular shapes formed by repeated subdivisions of a basic form"?

Fractals

> 4 Which national symbol appears on the coat of arms of the Republic of Ireland?

Harp

> 5 In which religion are Shiva and Vishnu major gods?

Hinduism

> 6 Singers Leonard Cohen and Celine Dion are/were of what nationality?

Canadian

> 7 Members of pop group The Wiggles wear what distinctive style of clothing?

Skivvies
I usually skip the questions with too much Australian bias but wasn't sure how well known they were internationally. I know now :-)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wiggles

> 8 By area, what is the second largest state in the USA?

Texas

> 9 Which Australian actress portrayed Samantha Stevens in the 2005 film version of 'Bewitched'?

Nicole Kidman

> 10 In relation to superannuation, what does the abbreviation SMSF stand for?

Self-Managed Super Fund
Another one where the question doesn't travel well. I gave Mark the point for getting close.

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 559
0 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 7 26 Dan Blum
0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 1 1 6 24 Mark Brader
1 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 6 24 Dan Tilque
1 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 1 0 6 25 Pete Gayde
0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 0 0 4 20 Erland S
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
2 1 5 2 5 5 0 5 3 1 29 58%

Congratulations Dan B.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Apr 23, 2019, 8:02:21 PM4/23/19
"Calvin":
> > 1 Everton Weekes represented which team in international cricket?
>
> West Indies
> Singleton for Pete
> And for future reference, if a question asks for an international cricket team
> (as opposed to nation) then the answer is almost certainly the West Indies.

The question was about international cricket, not international teams.

> Self-Managed Super Fund

Oh, so it's not an RRSP, but a self-directed RRSP.

> Another one where the question doesn't travel well. I gave Mark the point for getting close.

Surely not close enough for a whole point.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Information! ... We want information!"
m...@vex.net -- The Prisoner

Calvin

Apr 23, 2019, 8:14:59 PM4/23/19
On Wednesday, April 24, 2019 at 10:02:21 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> "Calvin":
> > > 1 Everton Weekes represented which team in international cricket?
> >
> > West Indies
> > Singleton for Pete
> > And for future reference, if a question asks for an international cricket team
> > (as opposed to nation) then the answer is almost certainly the West Indies.
>
> The question was about international cricket, not international teams.

They are essentially the same thing in cricket, as there is no international club competition. Anyway the point is that since the West Indies is not a nation, that term can't be used in the question.

> > Self-Managed Super Fund
>
> Oh, so it's not an RRSP, but a self-directed RRSP.

If you say so.

> > Another one where the question doesn't travel well. I gave Mark the point for getting close.
>
> Surely not close enough for a whole point.

I try to avoid half points.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Apr 24, 2019, 12:07:12 AM4/24/19
"Calvin":

>>> West Indies
>>> Singleton for Pete
>>> And for future reference, if a question asks for an international
>>> cricket team (as opposed to nation) then the answer is almost
>>> certainly the West Indies.

Mark Brader:
>> The question was about international cricket, not international teams.

"Calvin":
> They are essentially the same thing in cricket, as there is no
> international club competition.

Huh? If England plays Australia, that is an international competition,
but it does not involve international teams.

Never mind.

>>> I gave Mark the point for getting close [on SMSF].

>> Surely not close enough for a whole point.

> I try to avoid half points.

Then surely it's a zero.
--
Mark Brader | "...the government is simply a bunch of people we've
Toronto | hired to protect ourselves from thieves and murderers