Rotating Quiz #200: Bicentennial Edition

Dan Blum

Oct 21, 2015, 4:53:12 PM10/21/15
This is Rotating Quiz 200. Entries must be posted by Wednesday,
October 28th, 2015 at 11 PM (Eastern Daylight Time).

Usual rules: no looking anything up, no discussion, etc. The winner
gets to create the next RQ.

Please post your answers to all questions in a single followup in the
newsgroup, quoting the questions and placing your answer below each
one. Only one answer is allowed per question.

This quiz has a theme: since it is the 200th RQ all answers relate to
the year 1815 in some way.

In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be whoever scored on the
hardest questions (defined post-facto as the ones which the fewest
people got right). Second tiebreaker will be posting order.

1. Probably the most famous event of 1815 was the Battle of Waterloo.
Military historians generally study the battle together with the three
associated battles; on June 16th Marshal Ney attacked the Anglo-Allied
army while Napoleon defeated the Prussians elsewhere, and then on June
18th part of the Prussian army fought part of the French army to the
east of the Waterloo battlefield, enabling the rest of the Prussians
to aid Wellington. (This last battle technically lasted until June
19th, pointlessly.)

Name any one of these other three battles.

2. Wellington's brother-in-law Edward Pakenham was one of his
subordinates in the Peninsular War but he was not with him at
Waterloo. Pakenham and many of the Peninsular veterans had been sent
elsewhere to fight, and this had resulted in his death back in
January. In which battle?

3. This American naval officer had a bad start to the year, being
captured by the British sailing out of New York. However, he was
treated well and soon released, and later that year was in command
during the Second Barbary War, which ended quickly in the USA's favor.

4. The largest volcanic eruption in recorded history occurred in April
when this Indonesian mountain went off. Many people were killed by the
immediate effects of the eruption and many more worldwide died to the
effects on climate; 1816 was known as the "Year Without a Summer."

5. In October a meteorite fell near Chassigny, a small French
village. This is the earliest known example of a meteorite from which
unusual source? ("Earliest" in the sense of when we know it arrived on
Earth, not in the sense of how old the rock is.)

6. A number of famous people were born in 1815. One was the English
mathematician best known for his work on the foundations of symbolic
logic.

7. Another was the English artistocrat known for her extensive notes
on Charles Babbage's Analytical Engine; these notes include the first
algorithm designed to be executed by a machine (i.e., a computer
program, in essence).

8. In March the chieftains of the Kingdom of Kandy agreed to depose
their king and become a British protectorate instead. Two years later,
having come to regret this, some rebelled and this led to Britain
having full control of all of which island?

9. Naturally some famous people also died in 1815. One was the
American inventor who (together with Robert Livingston) built the
Clermont, which was not the first steamboat but the first commercially
viable one. He also built the first working submarine and some early
naval mines, among other things.

10. And another was the foremost painter in colonial America. He was
well-known for his portraits but also for his innovations in history
paintings, painting recent events such as those in his works "Watson
and the Shark" and "The Death of the Earl of Chatham." The city block
named for him is a major Boston landmark.

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

Oct 21, 2015, 5:04:21 PM10/21/15
Dan Blum (to...@panix.com) writes:
> 4. The largest volcanic eruption in recorded history occurred in April
> when this Indonesian mountain went off. Many people were killed by the
> immediate effects of the eruption and many more worldwide died to the
> effects on climate; 1816 was known as the "Year Without a Summer."

Krakatoa

> 6. A number of famous people were born in 1815. One was the English
> mathematician best known for his work on the foundations of symbolic
> logic.

Boole

> 7. Another was the English artistocrat known for her extensive notes
> on Charles Babbage's Analytical Engine; these notes include the first
> algorithm designed to be executed by a machine (i.e., a computer
> program, in essence).

Countess Ada Lovelace

> 8. In March the chieftains of the Kingdom of Kandy agreed to depose
> their king and become a British protectorate instead. Two years later,
> having come to regret this, some rebelled and this led to Britain
> having full control of all of which island?

Ceylon

Mark Brader

Oct 21, 2015, 7:33:05 PM10/21/15
Dan Blum:
> 1. Probably the most famous event of 1815 was the Battle of Waterloo.

True.

Oh, we're not done?

> Military historians generally study the battle together with the three
> associated battles; on June 16th Marshal Ney attacked the Anglo-Allied
> army while Napoleon defeated the Prussians elsewhere, and then on June
> 18th part of the Prussian army fought part of the French army to the
> east of the Waterloo battlefield, enabling the rest of the Prussians
> to aid Wellington. (This last battle technically lasted until June
> 19th, pointlessly.)
>
> Name any one of these other three battles.

Well, I only know about 4 battles in the Napoleonic Wars. It's not
the Nile, Borodino sounds like it's far away, and I think Austerlitz
is too, though I'm not sure about that. But these must be places in
or near Belgium. I'll guess Aix-la-Chapelle.

> 2. Wellington's brother-in-law Edward Pakenham was one of his
> subordinates in the Peninsular War but he was not with him at
> Waterloo. Pakenham and many of the Peninsular veterans had been sent
> elsewhere to fight, and this had resulted in his death back in
> January. In which battle?

Hmm. Elsewhere, January 1815. New Orleans?

> 3. This American naval officer had a bad start to the year, being
> captured by the British sailing out of New York. However, he was
> treated well and soon released, and later that year was in command
> during the Second Barbary War, which ended quickly in the USA's favor.

Who is Jones?

> 4. The largest volcanic eruption in recorded history occurred in April
> when this Indonesian mountain went off. Many people were killed by the
> immediate effects of the eruption and many more worldwide died to the
> effects on climate; 1816 was known as the "Year Without a Summer."

What is Tambora?

> 5. In October a meteorite fell near Chassigny, a small French
> village. This is the earliest known example of a meteorite from which
> unusual source? ("Earliest" in the sense of when we know it arrived on
> Earth, not in the sense of how old the rock is.)

Hmph. There are only two possibilities, the Moon and Mars, but I have
no idea which one it is. I'll guess the Moon. (Meteorites from Mars
must be a lot rarer and the fact that they exist at all was only
confirmed in the last couple of decades, by comparing the isotopic
makeup of gases trapped in them with that of the Martian atmosphere
by probes that have landed there.)

> 6. A number of famous people were born in 1815. One was the English
> mathematician best known for his work on the foundations of symbolic
> logic.

Who was Boole?

> 7. Another was the English artistocrat known for her extensive notes
> on Charles Babbage's Analytical Engine; these notes include the first
> algorithm designed to be executed by a machine (i.e., a computer
> program, in essence).

Who was Ada Lovelace? She came up in two other places recently --
"Jeopardy!" and, I think, in Calvin's quiz.

> 8. In March the chieftains of the Kingdom of Kandy agreed to depose
> their king and become a British protectorate instead. Two years later,
> having come to regret this, some rebelled and this led to Britain
> having full control of all of which island?

Sri Lanka (Ceylon)?

> 9. Naturally some famous people also died in 1815. One was the
> American inventor who (together with Robert Livingston) built the
> Clermont, which was not the first steamboat but the first commercially
> viable one. He also built the first working submarine and some early
> naval mines, among other things.

Who was Fulton? *He* came up on "Jeopardy!" just a few days ago.

> 10. And another was the foremost painter in colonial America. He was
> well-known for his portraits but also for his innovations in history
> paintings, painting recent events such as those in his works "Watson
> and the Shark" and "The Death of the Earl of Chatham." The city block
> named for him is a major Boston landmark.

Hmm. I bet he's also the guy who painted "Washington Crossing the
Delaware", but I don't know who that was. Let's see, squares in
Boston named after people... hmm....... well, I think there's a
Scollard Square. I'll say Scollard. Who was Scollard?
--
Mark Brader | "I always pass on good advice. It's the only thing
Toronto | to do with it. It is never any use to oneself."

Dan Blum

Oct 21, 2015, 10:05:34 PM10/21/15
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> Who was Fulton? *He* came up on "Jeopardy!" just a few days ago.

I haven't seen it in a week or so, or I might have picked different
questions.

> > 10. And another was the foremost painter in colonial America. He was
> > well-known for his portraits but also for his innovations in history
> > paintings, painting recent events such as those in his works "Watson
> > and the Shark" and "The Death of the Earl of Chatham." The city block
> > named for him is a major Boston landmark.

> Hmm. I bet he's also the guy who painted "Washington Crossing the
> Delaware", but I don't know who that was. Let's see, squares in
> Boston named after people... hmm....... well, I think there's a
> Scollard Square. I'll say Scollard. Who was Scollard?

I think you're thinking of Scollay Square. But if you had said that
you would have been wrong; for one thing it hasn't existed since about
1962.

"Washington Crossing the Delaware" was painted in 1851, it turns out.
I didn't know that either.

Calvin

Oct 22, 2015, 12:40:35 AM10/22/15
On Thursday, October 22, 2015 at 6:53:12 AM UTC+10, Dan Blum wrote:

> 1. Probably the most famous event of 1815 was the Battle of Waterloo.
> Military historians generally study the battle together with the three
> associated battles; on June 16th Marshal Ney attacked the Anglo-Allied
> army while Napoleon defeated the Prussians elsewhere, and then on June
> 18th part of the Prussian army fought part of the French army to the
> east of the Waterloo battlefield, enabling the rest of the Prussians
> to aid Wellington. (This last battle technically lasted until June
> 19th, pointlessly.)
>
> Name any one of these other three battles.

Leipzig

> 2. Wellington's brother-in-law Edward Pakenham was one of his
> subordinates in the Peninsular War but he was not with him at
> Waterloo. Pakenham and many of the Peninsular veterans had been sent
> elsewhere to fight, and this had resulted in his death back in
> January. In which battle?
>
> 3. This American naval officer had a bad start to the year, being
> captured by the British sailing out of New York. However, he was
> treated well and soon released, and later that year was in command
> during the Second Barbary War, which ended quickly in the USA's favor.

Jones

> 4. The largest volcanic eruption in recorded history occurred in April
> when this Indonesian mountain went off. Many people were killed by the
> immediate effects of the eruption and many more worldwide died to the
> effects on climate; 1816 was known as the "Year Without a Summer."

Tambora

> 5. In October a meteorite fell near Chassigny, a small French
> village. This is the earliest known example of a meteorite from which
> unusual source? ("Earliest" in the sense of when we know it arrived on
> Earth, not in the sense of how old the rock is.)

A comet

> 6. A number of famous people were born in 1815. One was the English
> mathematician best known for his work on the foundations of symbolic
> logic.

Venn

> 7. Another was the English artistocrat known for her extensive notes
> on Charles Babbage's Analytical Engine; these notes include the first
> algorithm designed to be executed by a machine (i.e., a computer
> program, in essence).
>
> 8. In March the chieftains of the Kingdom of Kandy agreed to depose
> their king and become a British protectorate instead. Two years later,
> having come to regret this, some rebelled and this led to Britain
> having full control of all of which island?

Ceylon

> 9. Naturally some famous people also died in 1815. One was the
> American inventor who (together with Robert Livingston) built the
> Clermont, which was not the first steamboat but the first commercially
> viable one. He also built the first working submarine and some early
> naval mines, among other things.
>
> 10. And another was the foremost painter in colonial America. He was
> well-known for his portraits but also for his innovations in history
> paintings, painting recent events such as those in his works "Watson
> and the Shark" and "The Death of the Earl of Chatham." The city block
> named for him is a major Boston landmark.

Nice quiz thanks.

cheers,
calvin

Calvin

Oct 22, 2015, 12:55:18 AM10/22/15
On Thursday, October 22, 2015 at 9:33:05 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> > 7. Another was the English artistocrat known for her extensive notes
> > on Charles Babbage's Analytical Engine; these notes include the first
> > algorithm designed to be executed by a machine (i.e., a computer
> > program, in essence).
>
> Who was Ada Lovelace? She came up in two other places recently --
> "Jeopardy!" and, I think, in Calvin's quiz.

Not me. Only Lovelace I know was a porn star. My interest is purely as a spermologist, you understand.

cheers,
calvin

Marc Dashevsky

Oct 22, 2015, 1:04:14 AM10/22/15
In article <n08tvn$hm8$1...@reader1.panix.com>, to...@panix.com says...
Tambora

> 5. In October a meteorite fell near Chassigny, a small French
> village. This is the earliest known example of a meteorite from which
> unusual source? ("Earliest" in the sense of when we know it arrived on
> Earth, not in the sense of how old the rock is.)
Mars

> 6. A number of famous people were born in 1815. One was the English
> mathematician best known for his work on the foundations of symbolic
> logic.
Boole

> 7. Another was the English artistocrat known for her extensive notes
> on Charles Babbage's Analytical Engine; these notes include the first
> algorithm designed to be executed by a machine (i.e., a computer
> program, in essence).
Ada Lovelace

> 8. In March the chieftains of the Kingdom of Kandy agreed to depose
> their king and become a British protectorate instead. Two years later,
> having come to regret this, some rebelled and this led to Britain
> having full control of all of which island?
>
> 9. Naturally some famous people also died in 1815. One was the
> American inventor who (together with Robert Livingston) built the
> Clermont, which was not the first steamboat but the first commercially
> viable one. He also built the first working submarine and some early
> naval mines, among other things.
>
> 10. And another was the foremost painter in colonial America. He was
> well-known for his portraits but also for his innovations in history
> paintings, painting recent events such as those in his works "Watson
> and the Shark" and "The Death of the Earl of Chatham." The city block
> named for him is a major Boston landmark.
Copley?

Mark Brader

Oct 22, 2015, 1:27:51 AM10/22/15
Mark Brader:
>> ...well, I think there's a Scollard Square. I'll say Scollard.

Dan Blum:
> I think you're thinking of Scollay Square.

I did hesitate between those two forms.

> But if you had said that you would have been wrong; for one thing
> it hasn't existed since about 1962.

Oh? In that case I wonder how I even thought of it. Maybe there used
to be a station named after it.

> "Washington Crossing the Delaware" was painted in 1851, it turns out.
> I didn't know that either.

And there we are, nowhere.
--
Mark Brader And as in nerdish thought he stood,
Toronto the Jargontalk, with awk and grep,

Marc Dashevsky

Oct 22, 2015, 1:38:59 AM10/22/15
In article <LvqdnSKaII1L7rXL...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...

> Mark Brader:
> >> ...well, I think there's a Scollard Square. I'll say Scollard.
>
> Dan Blum:
> > I think you're thinking of Scollay Square.
>
> I did hesitate between those two forms.
>
> > But if you had said that you would have been wrong; for one thing
> > it hasn't existed since about 1962.
>
> Oh? In that case I wonder how I even thought of it. Maybe there used
> to be a station named after it.

Indeed there was. It is mentioned in the Kingston Trio's
1959 U.S. pop hit "M.T.A."

Erland Sommarskog

Oct 22, 2015, 3:17:37 AM10/22/15
I can confirm Calvin's innocense on the matter. Ada was in my latest RQ,
a few months ago.

Peter Smyth

Oct 22, 2015, 1:25:23 PM10/22/15
Krakatoa
> 5. In October a meteorite fell near Chassigny, a small French
> village. This is the earliest known example of a meteorite from which
> unusual source? ("Earliest" in the sense of when we know it arrived on
> Earth, not in the sense of how old the rock is.)
>
> 6. A number of famous people were born in 1815. One was the English
> mathematician best known for his work on the foundations of symbolic
> logic.
Boole
> 7. Another was the English artistocrat known for her extensive notes
> on Charles Babbage's Analytical Engine; these notes include the first
> algorithm designed to be executed by a machine (i.e., a computer
> program, in essence).
Ada Lovelace
> 8. In March the chieftains of the Kingdom of Kandy agreed to depose
> their king and become a British protectorate instead. Two years later,
> having come to regret this, some rebelled and this led to Britain
> having full control of all of which island?
Sri Lanka
> 9. Naturally some famous people also died in 1815. One was the
> American inventor who (together with Robert Livingston) built the
> Clermont, which was not the first steamboat but the first commercially
> viable one. He also built the first working submarine and some early
> naval mines, among other things.
>
> 10. And another was the foremost painter in colonial America. He was
> well-known for his portraits but also for his innovations in history
> paintings, painting recent events such as those in his works "Watson
> and the Shark" and "The Death of the Earl of Chatham." The city block
> named for him is a major Boston landmark.

Peter Smyth

Gareth Owen

Oct 22, 2015, 2:57:28 PM10/22/15
to...@panix.com (Dan Blum) writes:

> 2. Wellington's brother-in-law Edward Pakenham was one of his
> subordinates in the Peninsular War but he was not with him at
> Waterloo. Pakenham and many of the Peninsular veterans had been sent
> elsewhere to fight, and this had resulted in his death back in
> January. In which battle?

Austerlitz

> 3. This American naval officer had a bad start to the year, being
> captured by the British sailing out of New York. However, he was
> treated well and soon released, and later that year was in command
> during the Second Barbary War, which ended quickly in the USA's favor.

J-P Jones

> 4. The largest volcanic eruption in recorded history occurred in April
> when this Indonesian mountain went off. Many people were killed by the
> immediate effects of the eruption and many more worldwide died to the
> effects on climate; 1816 was known as the "Year Without a Summer."

Krakatoa

> 5. In October a meteorite fell near Chassigny, a small French
> village. This is the earliest known example of a meteorite from which
> unusual source? ("Earliest" in the sense of when we know it arrived on
> Earth, not in the sense of how old the rock is.)

Oort cloud comet

> 6. A number of famous people were born in 1815. One was the English
> mathematician best known for his work on the foundations of symbolic
> logic.

Boole

> 7. Another was the English artistocrat known for her extensive notes
> on Charles Babbage's Analytical Engine; these notes include the first
> algorithm designed to be executed by a machine (i.e., a computer
> program, in essence).

Countess Lovelace

> 8. In March the chieftains of the Kingdom of Kandy agreed to depose
> their king and become a British protectorate instead. Two years later,
> having come to regret this, some rebelled and this led to Britain
> having full control of all of which island?

Sri Lanka

> 9. Naturally some famous people also died in 1815. One was the
> American inventor who (together with Robert Livingston) built the
> Clermont, which was not the first steamboat but the first commercially
> viable one. He also built the first working submarine and some early
> naval mines, among other things.

Edison

> 10. And another was the foremost painter in colonial America. He was
> well-known for his portraits but also for his innovations in history
> paintings, painting recent events such as those in his works "Watson
> and the Shark" and "The Death of the Earl of Chatham." The city block
> named for him is a major Boston landmark.

Copley

Calvin

Oct 22, 2015, 3:51:43 PM10/22/15
On Thursday, October 22, 2015 at 5:17:37 PM UTC+10, Erland Sommarskog wrote:

> I can confirm Calvin's innocense on the matter.

Thanks Erland. That's not a phrase I hear very often :-)

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Oct 22, 2015, 3:54:41 PM10/22/15
Mark Brader:
> And there we are, nowhere.

Having now seen the correct answer, the really annoying part of this
for me is that I've spent over a week in the Copley Place area *twice*,
for NABCs held jointly at the Westin and Marriott hotels there in
1999 and 2008.

But when Dan referred in the question to a "city block", I made the
mistake of thinking in terms of an open square and not a shopping mall,
let alone one that I'd walked through a bunch of times between the
two tournament hotels.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "My ambition is to see a saying of mine attributed
m...@vex.net | to Dorothy Parker or Mark Twain." -- Joe Fineman

Dan Blum

Oct 22, 2015, 4:02:02 PM10/22/15
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:
> Mark Brader:
> > And there we are, nowhere.

> Having now seen the correct answer, the really annoying part of this
> for me is that I've spent over a week in the Copley Place area *twice*,
> for NABCs held jointly at the Westin and Marriott hotels there in
> 1999 and 2008.

> But when Dan referred in the question to a "city block", I made the
> mistake of thinking in terms of an open square and not a shopping mall,
> let alone one that I'd walked through a bunch of times between the
> two tournament hotels.

I was actually referring to Copley Square, which is open:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copley_Square

Copley Place is near it but not on it.

Mark Brader

Oct 22, 2015, 4:08:53 PM10/22/15
Mark Brader:
>> But when Dan referred in the question to a "city block", I made the
>> mistake of thinking in terms of an open square and not a shopping mall...

Dan Blum:
> I was actually referring to Copley Square, which is open...

Ah, but you see I never walked through that on either trip. (I did go
into the library once.)
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "1. Buy 64 more buses."
m...@vex.net --Michael Wares

Dan Tilque

Oct 23, 2015, 1:29:00 AM10/23/15
Dan Blum wrote:

> 1. Probably the most famous event of 1815 was the Battle of Waterloo.
> Military historians generally study the battle together with the three
> associated battles; on June 16th Marshal Ney attacked the Anglo-Allied
> army while Napoleon defeated the Prussians elsewhere, and then on June
> 18th part of the Prussian army fought part of the French army to the
> east of the Waterloo battlefield, enabling the rest of the Prussians
> to aid Wellington. (This last battle technically lasted until June
> 19th, pointlessly.)
>
> Name any one of these other three battles.

Quatre Bras

> 2. Wellington's brother-in-law Edward Pakenham was one of his
> subordinates in the Peninsular War but he was not with him at
> Waterloo. Pakenham and many of the Peninsular veterans had been sent
> elsewhere to fight, and this had resulted in his death back in
> January. In which battle?

Battle of New Orleans

> 3. This American naval officer had a bad start to the year, being
> captured by the British sailing out of New York. However, he was
> treated well and soon released, and later that year was in command
> during the Second Barbary War, which ended quickly in the USA's favor.

Decatur

> 4. The largest volcanic eruption in recorded history occurred in April
> when this Indonesian mountain went off. Many people were killed by the
> immediate effects of the eruption and many more worldwide died to the
> effects on climate; 1816 was known as the "Year Without a Summer."

Tambora

> 5. In October a meteorite fell near Chassigny, a small French
> village. This is the earliest known example of a meteorite from which
> unusual source? ("Earliest" in the sense of when we know it arrived on
> Earth, not in the sense of how old the rock is.)

Mars

> 6. A number of famous people were born in 1815. One was the English
> mathematician best known for his work on the foundations of symbolic
> logic.
>
> 7. Another was the English artistocrat known for her extensive notes
> on Charles Babbage's Analytical Engine; these notes include the first
> algorithm designed to be executed by a machine (i.e., a computer
> program, in essence).

Ada Lovelace

> 8. In March the chieftains of the Kingdom of Kandy agreed to depose
> their king and become a British protectorate instead. Two years later,
> having come to regret this, some rebelled and this led to Britain
> having full control of all of which island?

Sri Lanka

> 9. Naturally some famous people also died in 1815. One was the
> American inventor who (together with Robert Livingston) built the
> Clermont, which was not the first steamboat but the first commercially
> viable one. He also built the first working submarine and some early
> naval mines, among other things.

Fulton

> 10. And another was the foremost painter in colonial America. He was
> well-known for his portraits but also for his innovations in history
> paintings, painting recent events such as those in his works "Watson
> and the Shark" and "The Death of the Earl of Chatham." The city block
> named for him is a major Boston landmark.

Prescott

--
Dan Tilque

Dan Blum

Oct 28, 2015, 11:07:06 PM10/28/15
Rotating Quiz #200 is over and Dan Tilque is the winner. He may now
set RQ #201.

I believe this is the first RQ I have run in some time in which every
question was answered correctly by at least one person. So that's
something.

> 1. Probably the most famous event of 1815 was the Battle of Waterloo.
> Military historians generally study the battle together with the three
> associated battles; on June 16th Marshal Ney attacked the Anglo-Allied
> army while Napoleon defeated the Prussians elsewhere, and then on June
> 18th part of the Prussian army fought part of the French army to the
> east of the Waterloo battlefield, enabling the rest of the Prussians
> to aid Wellington. (This last battle technically lasted until June
> 19th, pointlessly.)

> Name any one of these other three battles.

Quatre Bras, Ligny, and Wavre are the possible answers

> 2. Wellington's brother-in-law Edward Pakenham was one of his
> subordinates in the Peninsular War but he was not with him at
> Waterloo. Pakenham and many of the Peninsular veterans had been sent
> elsewhere to fight, and this had resulted in his death back in
> January. In which battle?

New Orleans

> 3. This American naval officer had a bad start to the year, being
> captured by the British sailing out of New York. However, he was
> treated well and soon released, and later that year was in command
> during the Second Barbary War, which ended quickly in the USA's favor.

Stephen Decatur (Junior, although he's hardly ever mentioned as such)

> 4. The largest volcanic eruption in recorded history occurred in April
> when this Indonesian mountain went off. Many people were killed by the
> immediate effects of the eruption and many more worldwide died to the
> effects on climate; 1816 was known as the "Year Without a Summer."

Mount Tambora. The major Krakatoa eruption was in 1883.

> 5. In October a meteorite fell near Chassigny, a small French
> village. This is the earliest known example of a meteorite from which
> unusual source? ("Earliest" in the sense of when we know it arrived on
> Earth, not in the sense of how old the rock is.)

Mars

> 6. A number of famous people were born in 1815. One was the English
> mathematician best known for his work on the foundations of symbolic
> logic.

George Boole

> 7. Another was the English artistocrat known for her extensive notes
> on Charles Babbage's Analytical Engine; these notes include the first
> algorithm designed to be executed by a machine (i.e., a computer
> program, in essence).

Ada, Countess of Lovelace

> 8. In March the chieftains of the Kingdom of Kandy agreed to depose
> their king and become a British protectorate instead. Two years later,
> having come to regret this, some rebelled and this led to Britain
> having full control of all of which island?

Sri Lanka or Ceylon

> 9. Naturally some famous people also died in 1815. One was the
> American inventor who (together with Robert Livingston) built the
> Clermont, which was not the first steamboat but the first commercially
> viable one. He also built the first working submarine and some early
> naval mines, among other things.

Robert Fulton

> 10. And another was the foremost painter in colonial America. He was
> well-known for his portraits but also for his innovations in history
> paintings, painting recent events such as those in his works "Watson
> and the Shark" and "The Death of the Earl of Chatham." The city block
> named for him is a major Boston landmark.

John Singleton Copley

Scores:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Total
----------------------------------
Dan 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 8
Mark 0 1 0 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 6
Marc 0 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 5
Gareth 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 4
Erland 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 3
Peter 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 3
Calvin 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 2

Dan Tilque

Oct 29, 2015, 6:41:01 AM10/29/15
Dan Blum wrote:
> Rotating Quiz #200 is over and Dan Tilque is the winner. He may now
> set RQ #201.

Thanks for running #200, Dan. As usual, I did not expect to win and have
nothing prepared, so will take a day or three to come up with something.

--
Dan Tilque