QFTCI5EP Game 6, Rounds 7-8: lensmen and sportsmen

Mark Brader

Jun 30, 2017, 11:33:51 PM6/30/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-02-27,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 6, Round 7 - Arts - Famous Photographers

Please see the handout at:

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/G6R7/photo.jpg

We name the photographer and you pick out the photo they took.

(Wasn't this a theme game on the subject of movies? Well,
moviemaking is a sort of photography, isn't it?)

1. Ansel Adams.
2. Walker Evans.
3. Annie Liebovitz.
4. Robert Mapplethorpe.
5. Yousuf Karsh.
6. Dorothea Lange.
7. Margaret Bourke-White.
8. Weegee.
9. Diane Arbus.
10. Cindy Sherman.

So there were 5 decoys. Decode the rot13 if you'd like to see the
remaining photographers and pick out the photos they took for fun,
but for no points.

11. Rqjneq Fgrvpura.
12. Oreravpr Noobgg.
13. Uryzhg Arjgba.
14. Eboreg Senax.
15. Rqjneq Znccyrgubecr.

* Game 6, Round 8 - Sports - California Sports

(Again, California is where Hollywood is, so...)

Answers do not repeat.

1. The Los Angeles Rams returned to L.A last year, more than
20 years after the franchise relocated to another US city.
Where were the Rams based from 1994 to 2015?

2. This National Football League team announced earlier this year
that it too is moving to Los Angeles. Name the city where the
team has been located.

3. This minor-league hockey team, based in San Diego, resumed
operations for the third time in its history in 2015. Its first
incarnation was from 1966 to 1974 when its star was Willie O'Ree,
the first black player in the NHL. What has remained the same
through all this is the team's name. What is it?

4. This former NHL team had colorful uniforms and a colorful name.
What was the team's name from 1970 to 1976?

5. The Golden State Warriors are one of the best teams in
basketball, winning 73 games in the regular season last year
before losing in the NBA finals to LeBron James and the Cleveland
Cavaliers. Which California city is their home court located in?

6. The general manager of the NBA team known as the Kings has been
criticized widely for the recent trade of star player DeMarcus
Cousins. Which California city are the Kings based in?

7. The trade of Wayne Gretzky from the Edmonton Oilers to the
Los Angeles Kings in 1988 remains one of the most infamous in
NHL history. Four other players were also part of that deal.
Name any of the *other* players traded that day.

8. The owners of the Kings and Oilers at the time of the trade
both went on to criminal convictions. The L.A. owner eventually
spent 13 months in jail for fraud. The Oilers owner was
convicted by a California court in 2010 of perjury, though he
never spent time in jail. Name either person.

9. The Los Angeles Angels baseball team isn't actually based in L.A.
In what city is Angels Stadium located?

10. The L.A. Dodgers play their home games at Dodger Stadium.
It is also known by this other name, which refers to a shallow
L-shaped canyon, next to the stadium. The area got its name
from a land owner who moved there from New Mexico in the 1830s.
What is this alternative name for Dodger Stadium?

Happy Canada Day, all.
--
Mark Brader | It is so alpha that Jean-Luc Godard is filming there.
Toronto | It is so alpha that it's 64-bit RISC from the 1990s...
| it looks like an ox... -- Nick Mathewson

Dan Blum

Jul 1, 2017, 12:31:49 AM7/1/17

6

> 2. Walker Evans.

14; 9

> 3. Annie Liebovitz.

8; 11

> 4. Robert Mapplethorpe.

12; 15

> 5. Yousuf Karsh.

10

> 6. Dorothea Lange.

1; 3

> 7. Margaret Bourke-White.

2; 7

> 8. Weegee.

11; 3

> 9. Diane Arbus.

5; 15

> 10. Cindy Sherman.

11; 8

> * Game 6, Round 8 - Sports - California Sports

> 1. The Los Angeles Rams returned to L.A last year, more than
> 20 years after the franchise relocated to another US city.
> Where were the Rams based from 1994 to 2015?

St. Louis

> 2. This National Football League team announced earlier this year
> that it too is moving to Los Angeles. Name the city where the
> team has been located.

Oakland; Baltimore

> 5. The Golden State Warriors are one of the best teams in
> basketball, winning 73 games in the regular season last year
> before losing in the NBA finals to LeBron James and the Cleveland
> Cavaliers. Which California city is their home court located in?

Fresno; Anaheim

> 6. The general manager of the NBA team known as the Kings has been
> criticized widely for the recent trade of star player DeMarcus
> Cousins. Which California city are the Kings based in?

Sacramento

> 8. The owners of the Kings and Oilers at the time of the trade
> both went on to criminal convictions. The L.A. owner eventually
> spent 13 months in jail for fraud. The Oilers owner was
> convicted by a California court in 2010 of perjury, though he
> never spent time in jail. Name either person.

Michael Milken

> 9. The Los Angeles Angels baseball team isn't actually based in L.A.
> In what city is Angels Stadium located?

Anaheim; Pasadena

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

Jul 1, 2017, 1:50:51 AM7/1/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:Ta-dndNlA_CEhcrEnZ2dnUU7-
InN...@giganews.com:

6

> 2. Walker Evans.

9; 2

> 3. Annie Liebovitz.

11; 15

8

> 5. Yousuf Karsh.

10

5

> 7. Margaret Bourke-White.

9; 2

> 8. Weegee.

14

1

3

> * Game 6, Round 8 - Sports - California Sports
>
> (Again, California is where Hollywood is, so...)
>
> Answers do not repeat.
>
> 1. The Los Angeles Rams returned to L.A last year, more than
> 20 years after the franchise relocated to another US city.
> Where were the Rams based from 1994 to 2015?

St. Louis

> 2. This National Football League team announced earlier this year
> that it too is moving to Los Angeles. Name the city where the
> team has been located.

San Diego

> 3. This minor-league hockey team, based in San Diego, resumed
> operations for the third time in its history in 2015. Its first
> incarnation was from 1966 to 1974 when its star was Willie O'Ree,
> the first black player in the NHL. What has remained the same
> through all this is the team's name. What is it?

Conquistadors

> 4. This former NHL team had colorful uniforms and a colorful name.
> What was the team's name from 1970 to 1976?

Oakland Golden Seals

> 5. The Golden State Warriors are one of the best teams in
> basketball, winning 73 games in the regular season last year
> before losing in the NBA finals to LeBron James and the Cleveland
> Cavaliers. Which California city is their home court located in?

San Jose; San Francisco

> 6. The general manager of the NBA team known as the Kings has been
> criticized widely for the recent trade of star player DeMarcus
> Cousins. Which California city are the Kings based in?

Sacramento

> 8. The owners of the Kings and Oilers at the time of the trade
> both went on to criminal convictions. The L.A. owner eventually
> spent 13 months in jail for fraud. The Oilers owner was
> convicted by a California court in 2010 of perjury, though he
> never spent time in jail. Name either person.

Cooke (?)

> 9. The Los Angeles Angels baseball team isn't actually based in L.A.
> In what city is Angels Stadium located?

Anaheim

> 10. The L.A. Dodgers play their home games at Dodger Stadium.
> It is also known by this other name, which refers to a shallow
> L-shaped canyon, next to the stadium. The area got its name
> from a land owner who moved there from New Mexico in the 1830s.
> What is this alternative name for Dodger Stadium?

Chavez Ravine

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

Jul 1, 2017, 6:21:29 AM7/1/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 7 - Arts - Famous Photographers

Disappointed. I thought it would be about Kimball Kinnison.

6

> 2. Walker Evans.
> 3. Annie Liebovitz.
> 4. Robert Mapplethorpe.

12

> 5. Yousuf Karsh.
> 6. Dorothea Lange.
> 7. Margaret Bourke-White.
> 8. Weegee.
> 9. Diane Arbus.
> 10. Cindy Sherman.
>
> So there were 5 decoys. Decode the rot13 if you'd like to see the
> remaining photographers and pick out the photos they took for fun,
> but for no points.
>
> 11. Rqjneq Fgrvpura.
> 12. Oreravpr Noobgg.
> 13. Uryzhg Arjgba.
> 14. Eboreg Senax.
> 15. Rqjneq Znccyrgubecr.
>

> * Game 6, Round 8 - Sports - California Sports
>
> (Again, California is where Hollywood is, so...)
>
> Answers do not repeat.
>
> 1. The Los Angeles Rams returned to L.A last year, more than
> 20 years after the franchise relocated to another US city.
> Where were the Rams based from 1994 to 2015?

St Louis

> 2. This National Football League team announced earlier this year
> that it too is moving to Los Angeles. Name the city where the
> team has been located.

San Diego

> 3. This minor-league hockey team, based in San Diego, resumed
> operations for the third time in its history in 2015. Its first
> incarnation was from 1966 to 1974 when its star was Willie O'Ree,
> the first black player in the NHL. What has remained the same
> through all this is the team's name. What is it?
>
> 4. This former NHL team had colorful uniforms and a colorful name.
> What was the team's name from 1970 to 1976?
>
> 5. The Golden State Warriors are one of the best teams in
> basketball, winning 73 games in the regular season last year
> before losing in the NBA finals to LeBron James and the Cleveland
> Cavaliers. Which California city is their home court located in?

Oakland

> 6. The general manager of the NBA team known as the Kings has been
> criticized widely for the recent trade of star player DeMarcus
> Cousins. Which California city are the Kings based in?

Sacramento

> 7. The trade of Wayne Gretzky from the Edmonton Oilers to the
> Los Angeles Kings in 1988 remains one of the most infamous in
> NHL history. Four other players were also part of that deal.
> Name any of the *other* players traded that day.
>
> 8. The owners of the Kings and Oilers at the time of the trade
> both went on to criminal convictions. The L.A. owner eventually
> spent 13 months in jail for fraud. The Oilers owner was
> convicted by a California court in 2010 of perjury, though he
> never spent time in jail. Name either person.
>
> 9. The Los Angeles Angels baseball team isn't actually based in L.A.
> In what city is Angels Stadium located?

Anaheim

> 10. The L.A. Dodgers play their home games at Dodger Stadium.
> It is also known by this other name, which refers to a shallow
> L-shaped canyon, next to the stadium. The area got its name
> from a land owner who moved there from New Mexico in the 1830s.
> What is this alternative name for Dodger Stadium?

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Jul 1, 2017, 2:54:10 PM7/1/17
Dan Tilque:
> Disappointed. I thought it would be about Kimball Kinnison.

Definitely no comment.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net
"sci fi: the plural of scum fum" -- Spider Robinson

Peter Smyth

Jul 1, 2017, 6:12:59 PM7/1/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 8 - Sports - California Sports
>
> (Again, California is where Hollywood is, so...)
>
> Answers do not repeat.
>
> 1. The Los Angeles Rams returned to L.A last year, more than
> 20 years after the franchise relocated to another US city.
> Where were the Rams based from 1994 to 2015?
St Louis
> 2. This National Football League team announced earlier this year
> that it too is moving to Los Angeles. Name the city where the
> team has been located.
>
> 3. This minor-league hockey team, based in San Diego, resumed
> operations for the third time in its history in 2015. Its first
> incarnation was from 1966 to 1974 when its star was Willie O'Ree,
> the first black player in the NHL. What has remained the same
> through all this is the team's name. What is it?
>
> 4. This former NHL team had colorful uniforms and a colorful name.
> What was the team's name from 1970 to 1976?
>
> 5. The Golden State Warriors are one of the best teams in
> basketball, winning 73 games in the regular season last year
> before losing in the NBA finals to LeBron James and the Cleveland
> Cavaliers. Which California city is their home court located in?
>
> 6. The general manager of the NBA team known as the Kings has been
> criticized widely for the recent trade of star player DeMarcus
> Cousins. Which California city are the Kings based in?
Sacramento
> 7. The trade of Wayne Gretzky from the Edmonton Oilers to the
> Los Angeles Kings in 1988 remains one of the most infamous in
> NHL history. Four other players were also part of that deal.
> Name any of the other players traded that day.
>
> 8. The owners of the Kings and Oilers at the time of the trade
> both went on to criminal convictions. The L.A. owner eventually
> spent 13 months in jail for fraud. The Oilers owner was
> convicted by a California court in 2010 of perjury, though he
> never spent time in jail. Name either person.
>
> 9. The Los Angeles Angels baseball team isn't actually based in L.A.
> In what city is Angels Stadium located?
Anaheim
> 10. The L.A. Dodgers play their home games at Dodger Stadium.
> It is also known by this other name, which refers to a shallow
> L-shaped canyon, next to the stadium. The area got its name
> from a land owner who moved there from New Mexico in the 1830s.
> What is this alternative name for Dodger Stadium?

Peter Smyth

Marc Dashevsky

Jul 1, 2017, 6:13:15 PM7/1/17
In article <Ta-dndNlA_CEhcrE...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...

6

> 2. Walker Evans.
> 3. Annie Liebovitz.
> 4. Robert Mapplethorpe.
15

> 5. Yousuf Karsh.
10

8

> 10. Cindy Sherman.
>
> So there were 5 decoys. Decode the rot13 if you'd like to see the
> remaining photographers and pick out the photos they took for fun,
> but for no points.
>
> 11. Rqjneq Fgrvpura.
> 12. Oreravpr Noobgg.
> 13. Uryzhg Arjgba.
> 14. Eboreg Senax.
> 15. Rqjneq Znccyrgubecr.
>

> * Game 6, Round 8 - Sports - California Sports
>
> (Again, California is where Hollywood is, so...)
>
> Answers do not repeat.
>
> 1. The Los Angeles Rams returned to L.A last year, more than
> 20 years after the franchise relocated to another US city.
> Where were the Rams based from 1994 to 2015?
St. Louis

> 2. This National Football League team announced earlier this year
> that it too is moving to Los Angeles. Name the city where the
> team has been located.
Oakland

> 3. This minor-league hockey team, based in San Diego, resumed
> operations for the third time in its history in 2015. Its first
> incarnation was from 1966 to 1974 when its star was Willie O'Ree,
> the first black player in the NHL. What has remained the same
> through all this is the team's name. What is it?
>
> 4. This former NHL team had colorful uniforms and a colorful name.
> What was the team's name from 1970 to 1976?
>
> 5. The Golden State Warriors are one of the best teams in
> basketball, winning 73 games in the regular season last year
> before losing in the NBA finals to LeBron James and the Cleveland
> Cavaliers. Which California city is their home court located in?
Oakland

> 6. The general manager of the NBA team known as the Kings has been
> criticized widely for the recent trade of star player DeMarcus
> Cousins. Which California city are the Kings based in?
Sacramento

> 7. The trade of Wayne Gretzky from the Edmonton Oilers to the
> Los Angeles Kings in 1988 remains one of the most infamous in
> NHL history. Four other players were also part of that deal.
> Name any of the *other* players traded that day.
>
> 8. The owners of the Kings and Oilers at the time of the trade
> both went on to criminal convictions. The L.A. owner eventually
> spent 13 months in jail for fraud. The Oilers owner was
> convicted by a California court in 2010 of perjury, though he
> never spent time in jail. Name either person.
>
> 9. The Los Angeles Angels baseball team isn't actually based in L.A.
> In what city is Angels Stadium located?
Anaheim

> 10. The L.A. Dodgers play their home games at Dodger Stadium.
> It is also known by this other name, which refers to a shallow
> L-shaped canyon, next to the stadium. The area got its name
> from a land owner who moved there from New Mexico in the 1830s.
> What is this alternative name for Dodger Stadium?
Chavez Ravine

> Happy Canada Day, all.

Jason Kreitzer

Jul 1, 2017, 9:00:46 PM7/1/17
On Friday, June 30, 2017 at 11:33:51 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-02-27,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 6, Round 7 - Arts - Famous Photographers
>
> Please see the handout at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/G6R7/photo.jpg
>
> We name the photographer and you pick out the photo they took.
>
> (Wasn't this a theme game on the subject of movies? Well,
> moviemaking is a sort of photography, isn't it?)
>
> 1. Ansel Adams.
> 2. Walker Evans.
> 3. Annie Liebovitz.
11
> 4. Robert Mapplethorpe.
8.
> 5. Yousuf Karsh.
> 6. Dorothea Lange.
> 7. Margaret Bourke-White.
> 8. Weegee.
> 9. Diane Arbus.
> 10. Cindy Sherman.
>
> So there were 5 decoys. Decode the rot13 if you'd like to see the
> remaining photographers and pick out the photos they took for fun,
> but for no points.
>
> 11. Rqjneq Fgrvpura.
> 12. Oreravpr Noobgg.
> 13. Uryzhg Arjgba.
> 14. Eboreg Senax.
> 15. Rqjneq Znccyrgubecr.
>

> * Game 6, Round 8 - Sports - California Sports
>
> (Again, California is where Hollywood is, so...)
>
> Answers do not repeat.
>
> 1. The Los Angeles Rams returned to L.A last year, more than
> 20 years after the franchise relocated to another US city.
> Where were the Rams based from 1994 to 2015?
St. Louis, MO.
> 2. This National Football League team announced earlier this year
> that it too is moving to Los Angeles. Name the city where the
> team has been located.
>
> 3. This minor-league hockey team, based in San Diego, resumed
> operations for the third time in its history in 2015. Its first
> incarnation was from 1966 to 1974 when its star was Willie O'Ree,
> the first black player in the NHL. What has remained the same
> through all this is the team's name. What is it?
>
> 4. This former NHL team had colorful uniforms and a colorful name.
> What was the team's name from 1970 to 1976?
>
> 5. The Golden State Warriors are one of the best teams in
> basketball, winning 73 games in the regular season last year
> before losing in the NBA finals to LeBron James and the Cleveland
> Cavaliers. Which California city is their home court located in?
San Francisco
> 6. The general manager of the NBA team known as the Kings has been
> criticized widely for the recent trade of star player DeMarcus
> Cousins. Which California city are the Kings based in?
Sacramento
> 7. The trade of Wayne Gretzky from the Edmonton Oilers to the
> Los Angeles Kings in 1988 remains one of the most infamous in
> NHL history. Four other players were also part of that deal.
> Name any of the *other* players traded that day.
>
> 8. The owners of the Kings and Oilers at the time of the trade
> both went on to criminal convictions. The L.A. owner eventually
> spent 13 months in jail for fraud. The Oilers owner was
> convicted by a California court in 2010 of perjury, though he
> never spent time in jail. Name either person.
>
> 9. The Los Angeles Angels baseball team isn't actually based in L.A.
> In what city is Angels Stadium located?
Anaheim

Calvin

Jul 2, 2017, 6:58:14 PM7/2/17
On Saturday, July 1, 2017 at 1:33:51 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 7 - Arts - Famous Photographers

Pass

> * Game 6, Round 8 - Sports - California Sports
>
> (Again, California is where Hollywood is, so...)
>
> Answers do not repeat.
>
> 1. The Los Angeles Rams returned to L.A last year, more than
> 20 years after the franchise relocated to another US city.
> Where were the Rams based from 1994 to 2015?

St Louis

> 2. This National Football League team announced earlier this year
> that it too is moving to Los Angeles. Name the city where the
> team has been located.

San Diego

> 3. This minor-league hockey team, based in San Diego, resumed
> operations for the third time in its history in 2015. Its first
> incarnation was from 1966 to 1974 when its star was Willie O'Ree,
> the first black player in the NHL. What has remained the same
> through all this is the team's name. What is it?
>
> 4. This former NHL team had colorful uniforms and a colorful name.
> What was the team's name from 1970 to 1976?
>
> 5. The Golden State Warriors are one of the best teams in
> basketball, winning 73 games in the regular season last year
> before losing in the NBA finals to LeBron James and the Cleveland
> Cavaliers. Which California city is their home court located in?

San Francisco

> 6. The general manager of the NBA team known as the Kings has been
> criticized widely for the recent trade of star player DeMarcus
> Cousins. Which California city are the Kings based in?

Sacramento

> 7. The trade of Wayne Gretzky from the Edmonton Oilers to the
> Los Angeles Kings in 1988 remains one of the most infamous in
> NHL history. Four other players were also part of that deal.
> Name any of the *other* players traded that day.
>
> 8. The owners of the Kings and Oilers at the time of the trade
> both went on to criminal convictions. The L.A. owner eventually
> spent 13 months in jail for fraud. The Oilers owner was
> convicted by a California court in 2010 of perjury, though he
> never spent time in jail. Name either person.
>
> 9. The Los Angeles Angels baseball team isn't actually based in L.A.
> In what city is Angels Stadium located?

Anaheim

> 10. The L.A. Dodgers play their home games at Dodger Stadium.
> It is also known by this other name, which refers to a shallow
> L-shaped canyon, next to the stadium. The area got its name
> from a land owner who moved there from New Mexico in the 1830s.
> What is this alternative name for Dodger Stadium?

cheers,
calvin

Gareth Owen

Jul 3, 2017, 1:11:18 AM7/3/17

6

> 2. Walker Evans.

12,11

> 3. Annie Liebovitz.

8 Patti Smith is the best

> 4. Robert Mapplethorpe.

12,11

> 5. Yousuf Karsh.

12,11

> 6. Dorothea Lange.

5, 9

> 7. Margaret Bourke-White.

12,11

> 8. Weegee.

12,11

> 9. Diane Arbus.

15

> 10. Cindy Sherman.

12,11

> 1. The Los Angeles Rams returned to L.A last year, more than
> 20 years after the franchise relocated to another US city.
> Where were the Rams based from 1994 to 2015?

St Louis

> 2. This National Football League team announced earlier this year
> that it too is moving to Los Angeles. Name the city where the
> team has been located.

San Diego

> 3. This minor-league hockey team, based in San Diego, resumed
> operations for the third time in its history in 2015. Its first
> incarnation was from 1966 to 1974 when its star was Willie O'Ree,
> the first black player in the NHL. What has remained the same
> through all this is the team's name. What is it?

Knights

> 4. This former NHL team had colorful uniforms and a colorful name.
> What was the team's name from 1970 to 1976?

> 5. The Golden State Warriors are one of the best teams in
> basketball, winning 73 games in the regular season last year
> before losing in the NBA finals to LeBron James and the Cleveland
> Cavaliers. Which California city is their home court located in?

Oakland (at least for now)

> 6. The general manager of the NBA team known as the Kings has been
> criticized widely for the recent trade of star player DeMarcus
> Cousins. Which California city are the Kings based in?

Sacramento

> 7. The trade of Wayne Gretzky from the Edmonton Oilers to the
> Los Angeles Kings in 1988 remains one of the most infamous in
> NHL history. Four other players were also part of that deal.
> Name any of the *other* players traded that day.

Jari Kuri

> 8. The owners of the Kings and Oilers at the time of the trade
> both went on to criminal convictions. The L.A. owner eventually
> spent 13 months in jail for fraud. The Oilers owner was
> convicted by a California court in 2010 of perjury, though he
> never spent time in jail. Name either person.

Nope

> 9. The Los Angeles Angels baseball team isn't actually based in L.A.
> In what city is Angels Stadium located?

Anaheim

> 10. The L.A. Dodgers play their home games at Dodger Stadium.
> It is also known by this other name, which refers to a shallow
> L-shaped canyon, next to the stadium. The area got its name
> from a land owner who moved there from New Mexico in the 1830s.
> What is this alternative name for Dodger Stadium?

Chavez Ravine

Pete Gayde

Jul 3, 2017, 7:25:45 PM7/3/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:Ta-dndNlA_CEhcrEnZ2dnUU7-
InN...@giganews.com:

St Louis

> 2. This National Football League team announced earlier this year
> that it too is moving to Los Angeles. Name the city where the
> team has been located.

San Diego

> 3. This minor-league hockey team, based in San Diego, resumed
> operations for the third time in its history in 2015. Its first
> incarnation was from 1966 to 1974 when its star was Willie O'Ree,
> the first black player in the NHL. What has remained the same
> through all this is the team's name. What is it?
>
> 4. This former NHL team had colorful uniforms and a colorful name.
> What was the team's name from 1970 to 1976?

California Golden Seals

> 5. The Golden State Warriors are one of the best teams in
> basketball, winning 73 games in the regular season last year
> before losing in the NBA finals to LeBron James and the Cleveland
> Cavaliers. Which California city is their home court located in?

Oakland

> 6. The general manager of the NBA team known as the Kings has been
> criticized widely for the recent trade of star player DeMarcus
> Cousins. Which California city are the Kings based in?

Sacramento

> 7. The trade of Wayne Gretzky from the Edmonton Oilers to the
> Los Angeles Kings in 1988 remains one of the most infamous in
> NHL history. Four other players were also part of that deal.
> Name any of the *other* players traded that day.
>
> 8. The owners of the Kings and Oilers at the time of the trade
> both went on to criminal convictions. The L.A. owner eventually
> spent 13 months in jail for fraud. The Oilers owner was
> convicted by a California court in 2010 of perjury, though he
> never spent time in jail. Name either person.

Black

> 9. The Los Angeles Angels baseball team isn't actually based in L.A.
> In what city is Angels Stadium located?

Anaheim

> 10. The L.A. Dodgers play their home games at Dodger Stadium.
> It is also known by this other name, which refers to a shallow
> L-shaped canyon, next to the stadium. The area got its name
> from a land owner who moved there from New Mexico in the 1830s.
> What is this alternative name for Dodger Stadium?

Chavez Ravine

> Happy Canada Day, all.

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Jul 3, 2017, 9:52:39 PM7/3/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-02-27,
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 6, Round 7 - Arts - Famous Photographers

> Please see the handout at:

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/G6R7/photo.jpg

> We name the photographer and you pick out the photo they took.

> (Wasn't this a theme game on the subject of movies? Well,
> moviemaking is a sort of photography, isn't it?)

Along with the answers, I've shown the locations, titles or subjects,
and dates for those photos I was able to find them for.

#6. (Yosemite Valley CA.) 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque,
Marc, and Gareth.

#4. ("Billboards and Frame Houses", Atlanta GA 1936.)

#11. (Johnny Depp, 1994.) 4 for Jason. 3 for Joshua. 2 for
Dan Blum.

#15. (Andy Warhol.) 4 for Marc. 2 for Dan Blum.

#10. (Ernest Hemingway, 1957.) 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Marc.

#5. ("Migrant Mother", 1936.) 4 for Joshua. 3 for Gareth.

#9. (Flood aftermath, Louisville KY 1937.) 3 for Joshua.

#14. (Body of David "the Beetle" Beadle, New York 1939.)
4 for Joshua.

ObFilm: "The Public Eye" (1992), starring Joe Pesci as a character
based on Weegee.

#1. ("Jewish giant at home with his parents in the Bronx", New
York, 1970.) 4 for Joshua.

#3. (Untitled #92, 1980.) 4 for Joshua.

> So there were 5 decoys. Decode the rot13 if you'd like to see the
> remaining photographers and pick out the photos they took for fun,
> but for no points.

Actually there were 4 decoys originally. See below. Anyway, nobody
tried these.

#13. ("The Flatiron - Evening", New York, 1906.)

#7. ("Pike & Henry St.", Brooklyn, New York, 1946.)

That's the Manhattan Bridge in the background. I thought I_recognized
it, but decided to confirm it in modern imagery. When I did, I
was impressed by how different the view from this point is today.
See: http://www.qsview.com/@40.71317,-73.992712,155.71h,3.06p,0.01z

#12. ("At the Piscine Deligny", a floating swimming pool in Paris.)

#2. ("Drive-In Movie", Detroit, 1955.)

#8. (Patti Smith.)

In the original game, there was no photo #15, but this photo was
credited to Robert Mapplethorpe instead of his brother. (And some
players did give the expected answer of photo #8 on the Robert
Mapplethorpe question, knowing that Patti Smith was a friend of his.)

After spotting the error while reconstructing the handout for use
here, I decided to fix it by choosing an actual Robert Mapplethorpe
photo and adding it as #15, and adding this question to the "decoys
for fun" list.

> * Game 6, Round 8 - Sports - California Sports

> (Again, California is where Hollywood is, so...)

> Answers do not repeat.

> 1. The Los Angeles Rams returned to L.A last year, more than
> 20 years after the franchise relocated to another US city.
> Where were the Rams based from 1994 to 2015?

St. Louis. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Peter,
Marc, Jason, Calvin, Gareth, and Pete.

> 2. This National Football League team announced earlier this year
> that it too is moving to Los Angeles. Name the city where the
> team has been located.

San Diego (Chargers). 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Calvin, Gareth,
and Pete.

> 3. This minor-league hockey team, based in San Diego, resumed
> operations for the third time in its history in 2015. Its first
> incarnation was from 1966 to 1974 when its star was Willie O'Ree,
> the first black player in the NHL. What has remained the same
> through all this is the team's name. What is it?

Gulls.

> 4. This former NHL team had colorful uniforms and a colorful name.
> What was the team's name from 1970 to 1976?

California Golden Seals. (Another name they had was the Oakland
Seals. "Golden Seals" was required, but since the question was
sort of about these changes between similar names, I did not think
I could allow any points for "Oakland Golden Seals".) 4 for Pete.

> 5. The Golden State Warriors are one of the best teams in
> basketball, winning 73 games in the regular season last year
> before losing in the NBA finals to LeBron James and the Cleveland
> Cavaliers. Which California city is their home court located in?

Oakland. 4 for Dan Tilque, Marc, Gareth, and Pete.

> 6. The general manager of the NBA team known as the Kings has been
> criticized widely for the recent trade of star player DeMarcus
> Cousins. Which California city are the Kings based in?

Sacramento. 4 for everyone.

> 7. The trade of Wayne Gretzky from the Edmonton Oilers to the
> Los Angeles Kings in 1988 remains one of the most infamous in
> NHL history. Four other players were also part of that deal.
> Name any of the *other* players traded that day.

Mike Krushelnyski, Marty McSorley, Jimmy Carson, and Martin Gelinas.

The first two went to L.A. along with Gretzky. Edmonton also received
draft picks and $15,000,000.

> 8. The owners of the Kings and Oilers at the time of the trade
> both went on to criminal convictions. The L.A. owner eventually
> spent 13 months in jail for fraud. The Oilers owner was
> convicted by a California court in 2010 of perjury, though he
> never spent time in jail. Name either person.

Bruce McNall, Peter Pocklington.

> 9. The Los Angeles Angels baseball team isn't actually based in L.A.
> In what city is Angels Stadium located?

Anaheim. In fact, as far as I can tell, for legal reasons the team
is still officially the "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim", though they
no normally longer use the "Anaheim" part. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque,
Peter, Marc, Jason, Calvin, Gareth, and Pete. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 10. The L.A. Dodgers play their home games at Dodger Stadium.
> It is also known by this other name, which refers to a shallow
> L-shaped canyon, next to the stadium. The area got its name
> from a land owner who moved there from New Mexico in the 1830s.
> What is this alternative name for Dodger Stadium?

Chavez Ravine. 4 for Joshua, Marc, Gareth, and Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 6 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Ent Geo Can Sci Art Spo FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 40 36 0 24 30 20 130
Gareth Owen 32 28 0 39 7 24 123
Marc Dashevsky 16 28 0 32 12 20 96
Dan Blum 20 24 0 36 12 11 92
Dan Tilque 11 0 8 39 4 20 78
Stephen Perry 40 36 -- -- -- -- 76
"Calvin" 18 4 0 28 0 16 66
Pete Gayde 12 0 4 19 0 28 63
Jason Kreitzer 24 20 0 4 4 12 60
Bruce Bowler 12 0 0 27 -- -- 39
Erland Sommarskog -- -- 0 34 -- -- 34
Peter Smyth -- -- -- -- 0 12 12

--
Mark Brader And as in nerdish thought he stood,
Toronto the Jargontalk, with awk and grep,

Gareth Owen

Jul 4, 2017, 1:45:11 AM7/4/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

>> 15. Edward Mapplethorpe.
>
> #8. (Patti Smith.)

That's not a Mapplethorpe (either Ed or Robert)
It's a Leibovitz, from her 1999 collection "Women". By the time Patti
was that old, Robert was 10 years dead.

https://veiling.catawiki.nl/kavels/3724791-fotografie-annie-leibovitz-and-susan-sontag-women-1999

Mark Brader

Jul 4, 2017, 4:20:03 AM7/4/17
Mark Brader:
>> Please see the handout at:
>> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/G6R7/photo.jpg

>> 3. Annie Liebovitz.
> #11. (Johnny Depp, 1994.) 4 for Jason. 3 for Joshua. 2 for
> Dan Blum.

>>> 15. Edward Mapplethorpe.
>> #8. (Patti Smith.)

Gareth Owen (rearranged slightly for convenience in responding):
> That's not a Mapplethorpe (either Ed or Robert)

Here are four Internet sources, one of them NPR, that credit the photo
to Edward Mapplethorpe:

http://www.npr.org/sections/allsongs/2011/06/13/137124081/hear-patti-smith-and-her-words-of-love-for-buddy-holly

http://www.thewomensroomblog.com/2013/03/08/women-of-the-world-the-womens-room-list/

http://lilliputreview.blogspot.ca/2012_12_01_archive.html

http://www.westport-news.com/living/article/Rocker-poet-Patti-Smith-to-receive-Westport-1293522.php

> It's a Leibovitz, from her 1999 collection "Women"...
> https://veiling.catawiki.nl/kavels/3724791-fotografie-annie-leibovitz-and-susan-sontag-women-1999

Well, that page includes *this* photo of Patti Smith:

http://assets.catawiki.nl/assets/2015/12/5/9/7/e/97eaea96-9b60-11e5-831c-6ce3261f65d7.jpg

Perhaps you were confusing it with the one on the handout?

> By the time Patti was that old, Robert was 10 years dead.

So? Edward was (and as far as I know still is) alive. Incidentally,
while rechecking this, I learned that it was Patti who married Edward
in 2012. No, I don't mean she *got* married to him. She married him
to Michelle Yun.
--
Mark Brader | "I thought at first that you had done something clever,
Toronto | but I see that there was nothing in it, after all."
| in explaining." --Doyle

gwo...@gmail.com

Jul 4, 2017, 4:51:01 AM7/4/17
On Tuesday, July 4, 2017 at 9:20:03 AM UTC+1, Mark Brader wrote:
> Well, that page includes *this* photo of Patti Smith:
>
> http://assets.catawiki.nl/assets/2015/12/5/9/7/e/97eaea96-9b60-11e5-831c-6ce3261f65d7.jpg
>
> Perhaps you were confusing it with the one on the handout?

Good Lord, I was... I'd have sworn that was the one on the handout. My apologies.

Gareth

swp

Jul 4, 2017, 2:40:06 PM7/4/17
if your faith was strong enough, it would have been.

swp

Mark Brader

Jul 4, 2017, 3:42:13 PM7/4/17
Mark Brader:
> > Perhaps you were confusing it with the one on the handout?

Gareth Owen:
> Good Lord, I was...

Your apologetic obeisance is appreciated. :-)
--
Mark Brader | "Yeah. Writers working under tight restrictions produce
Toronto | novel material -- like, for example, epigrams employing